The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's deals:

Left 4 Dead Franchise 75% off - Complete Pack for $7.49
Limbo 75% off - $2.49
Prototype Franchise 50-75% off
Assassin's Creed Franchise 25-75% off
Just Cause 2 75% off - $3.74
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion 66% off - $13.59

Edit: errr.... now Assassin's Creed franchise is showing 35% for all the games that aren't ACIII. Hopefully this is just a case of the store being buggy for a bit.

That upcoming GMG price on God and Kings is insane. Anyone who has the Civ V base but not the expansion yet I wholeheartedly recommend it as it adds a lot to the game.

And I'm curious to sell how well Sins Rebellion does in the Steam top sellers list today. I had trouble unloading it @ $10 from the GG screw up pack and had to bring the price down to $7.50, but that may just be CAGs being CAGs and/or that series is not as well known as say Civ or Shogun or something.

I must be really stingy this year, I have yet to bite on anything. The only holiday purchases I've made are RAW and Walking Dead on XBLA.

Backlog envy, that's all I can explain for this odd phenomenon.

[quote name='zillionandnine']Today's deals:

Left 4 Dead Franchise 75% off - Complete Pack for $7.49
Limbo 75% off - $2.49
Prototype Franchise 50-75% off
Assassin's Creed Franchise 25-75% off
Just Cause 2 75% off - $3.74
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion 66% off - $13.59[/QUOTE]

...I own too many games. Sins of a Solar Empire is all I don't have, and I'm not big on RTS. I guess I could buy a back up copy of Left 4 Dead 2. Yeah, I'll do that.

My prices are showing up a little different from what was mentioned above...Sins is 50% off, Left 4 Dead is 50% off, Prototype is 25% off...glad to hear that they are actually lower than this.

[quote name='Outinthedark']The only holiday purchases I've made are RAW and Walking Dead on XBLA.
[/QUOTE]

How is RAW by the way?

The PC version is published by Focus so I'd have to even research and make sure for sure it didn't have some crappy 3rd party DRM snuck in though...

Once again, I'm a little disappointed in the daily deals. Would it kill them to do a 75% discount on Assassin's Creed: Revelations? It's over a year old already... :p

[quote name='Broken Cage']...I own too many games. Sins of a Solar Empire is all I don't have, and I'm not big on RTS. I guess I could buy a back up copy of Left 4 Dead 2. Yeah, I'll do that.[/QUOTE]

Same. Well, I've just started to dip my toes into the Assassin's Creed franchise (have the first game) but I haven't played it yet so I don't know if I want to commit just yet. :p

[quote name='Motoki']How is RAW by the way?

The PC version is published by Focus so I'd have to even research and make sure for sure it didn't have some crappy 3rd party DRM snuck in though...[/QUOTE]

I'm playing the Rogue and it's more button mash than I'd have liked. Mediocre hack and slash. $5 in space bucks though satisfied that D&D itch.

Sins of a Solar Empire is great. I bought the base game, and bought Entrenchment. Didn't buy Diplomacy. Rebellion looks great.

The main drawback of Sins is that there's no singleplayer campaign. It's all skirmish based. That said, no game plays the same. The three factions are very different and are a real treat to learn. The mods are what made the game so awesome, though. There was a Star Wars mod that I just loved playing. Imagine rolling into a system with a Super Star Destroyer and 10 Imperial Star Destroyers to the Imperial March playing in the background. Truly an epic experience.

Regarding Civ V, I thought about paying the $5 to upgrade, but all I care about are the five civs that I'd get. Considering Spain comes with Gods and Kings (along with 9 other civs), it's hard to justify the $5 compared to all you get for $7.25. I'm also betting that a new GOTY edition will come out that includes all DLC prior to Gods & Kings.

And thanks for posting the GMG deal. I'll hold off now and pick that up on Sunday. Can't wait!

[quote name='zubalove']I'm waiting for the Lucas Arts stuff to go on sale. Republic Commando will be mine at 75% off. It's just a matter of time.[/QUOTE]

IIRC from past sales, the Lucas stuff is usually pretty chintzy on their sales.

I want Lego Star Wars and may just cave at 50% off.

[quote name='Motoki']And I'm curious to sell how well Sins Rebellion does in the Steam top sellers list today. I had trouble unloading it @ $10 from the GG screw up pack and had to bring the price down to $7.50, but that may just be CAGs being CAGs and/or that series is not as well known as say Civ or Shogun or something.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to play it, since I've yet to play any in the series, but it's always just a matter of other games having my attention first. One of these times...

[quote name='UW_Shocks']^^^
Amazon had AC:R for $7.50 on Xmas :D [UPlay version][/QUOTE]

Exactly. It wouldn't have killed them to also offer it at this price. I know they all require Uplay anyway, but I have the rest of them on Steam and well... I want them all in the same place.

Really want Revelations as it's the next in the series I need to play. Might just bite the bullet for it's current price. Don't know if I wanna wait for the summer sale to see Ubisoft be stingy with their prices again. :/

[quote name='Motoki']
I want Lego Star Wars and may just cave at 50% off.[/QUOTE]

As long as you're talking about "The Complete Saga" and not that garbage Clone Wars, then I say do it! ;)

I see a lot of repeats between the daily deals and the flash sales and community's choice. I would love to see them differentiate the two. Maybe the daily deals are all the recent big name games and the flash sales are the older games on the cheap. There are a lot of older games that aren't hits that I would like to pick up on the cheap but I think they are almost looked over or forgotten. Games like RUSE, Hunted the Demon's Forge, the Deathspank games, 007 Quantum of Solace and BloodStone, World in Conflict, and I'm sure there are a ton more that go neglected in the deeper discount deals. Most of these have 33%-50% discounts.

[quote name='jshackles']Once again, I'm a little disappointed in the daily deals. Would it kill them to do a 75% discount on Assassin's Creed: Revelations? It's over a year old already... :p[/QUOTE]

[quote name='UW_Shocks']^^^
Amazon had AC:R for $7.50 on Xmas :D [UPlay version][/QUOTE]

[quote name='jshackles']Exactly. It wouldn't have killed them to also offer it at this price. I know they all require Uplay anyway, but I have the rest of them on Steam and well... I want them all in the same place.[/QUOTE]

Same here.. passed on the Amazon price because I already had some of the series on Steam. Gah!

[quote name='Dr. Feel Good']Any chance that Assassin's Creed I/II will be cheaper on Amazon/GMG, or should I just bite at this point?[/QUOTE]

If you don't care about having them on Steam, it's been (somewhat) lower before.

This has been on sale for like $5 before for both I and II, physical copy. Some people even reported getting it at Target on clearance for about $2.

[quote name='Terlan']Really want Revelations as it's the next in the series I need to play. Might just bite the bullet for it's current price. Don't know if I wanna wait for the summer sale to see Ubisoft be stingy with their prices again. :/[/QUOTE]
I'm about to do that for the gold edition. It's a bit more than I want to pay, but after seeing it not go on sale during the autumn sale I'm fearful it won't until the summer or later. And I would play it within the next month.

[quote name='Kaltic']I miss the cultural takeover of cities in Civ 4 a bit more. Unless that still exists in Civ 5 and I haven't seen it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I do too!!! Not to make this a CIV topic but it's like no cutural takeover really! Of course that would make those culture based CIV's overpowered quite a bit in V.[/QUOTE]

Culture takeovers were, by far, my favorite part of Civ 4. Probably why I've yet to start Civ 5, honestly... though I need to as I personally am glad to see unit stacking go. So G&K's Sunday for $3? Yeah... might do that.

[quote name='Motoki']That upcoming GMG price on God and Kings is insane. Anyone who has the Civ V base but not the expansion yet I wholeheartedly recommend it as it adds a lot to the game.

And I'm curious to sell how well Sins Rebellion does in the Steam top sellers list today. I had trouble unloading it @ $10 from the GG screw up pack and had to bring the price down to $7.50, but that may just be CAGs being CAGs and/or that series is not as well known as say Civ or Shogun or something.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I would of bought that from you. I am hosting a 4 pack in the trading thread but you make me have second thoughts. Probably will be $7.50 soon.

Is it just me or is this the worst steam sale yet?

[quote name='InfenroIII']If i were to start the AC series , where should i start?[/QUOTE]

I never played any past 1 because it bored me to tears. I keep meaning to play the rest but every time I start I remember all the pointless flags and do three of this type of mission quests.

If you do play 1 I would recommend playing one city at a time and playing a different game in between to keep it fresh.

[quote name='InfenroIII']If i were to start the AC series , where should i start?[/QUOTE]
You can start at 2 and not really miss anything. The first game is okay, it just gets really repetitive by the end.

[quote name='Curtsey']Only thing that interests me is Just Cause 2, but I already own in own Xbox360

;([/QUOTE]
It's great fun on the PC, there are several Mods such as infinite jetfueled parachute thruster, extra long grappling hook, and a group of programmers are working diligently to implement Online multiplayer

DLC is cheap enough that I just purchased it all a couple of years ago but the DLC not to be missed is the black market aerial pack (jet thrusters added to parachute, multilock missile launcher, and a sweet fighter jet). The rest are amusing such as the signature gun one of the beter pistols in the game, and there is fun to be had with the monster truck with mounted machine gun.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']how's AC3 on PC? Is the game optimized?[/QUOTE]This I want to know as well. I haven't bought anything in this steam winter sale since I have too many games library but I might have to cave on this one 'cause I haven't seen a lower price for the steam version

There's so much I want to buy but forcing myself to spend less than $20. CS Franchise, AC1, 2, Revelations, Civ 5 GOTY and Gods and Kings. Decisions, decisions.

[quote name='Nickland21']Yeah, i just had it sitting there and thought it had a greater chance of being revoked if it wasnt activated so someone may as well give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

Ah, okay. Great price but I'm not brave enough to venture further into the cluster**** that's been going on. I already got a Bethesda collection but no keys yet and not sure how that's gonna turn out.

[quote name='forthenguyen']Ah, okay. Great price but I'm not brave enough to venture further into the cluster**** that's been going on. I already got a Bethesda collection but no keys yet and not sure how that's gonna turn out.[/QUOTE]
Yeah no kidding, I'm still waiting on a few more keys from the 4 Pack. Also hoping my $15 copy is safe, I've actually been enjoying the game more than I thought I would.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']how's AC3 on PC? Is the game optimized?[/QUOTE]

It ran great for me, higher resolution textures better shadows and DX11 effects make it look A LOT better than console versions.

That said, I didn't think the actual game was very good compared to previous AC's.

Ok ok ok these sales are getting to be killers. If steam makes a console or console like affordable set top system the world of actual consoles is fucked!!!!1 And my wallet will never recover!!! Between the fall sale and this one, it looks like my bank account was hacked and jacked.

[quote name='St4rgalaqtic']Ok ok ok these sales are getting to be killers. If steam makes a console or console like affordable set top system the world of actual consoles is fucked!!!!1 And my wallet will never recover!!! Between the fall sale and this one, it looks like my bank account was hacked and jacked.[/QUOTE]
Ummmm, are you looking at THIS Steam sale?

We're really depressed of the quality of this Steam sale.

Not that it's bad, it's just not "WOW I GOT A DEAL!"

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Ummmm, are you looking at THIS Steam sale?

We're really depressed of the quality of this Steam sale.

Not that it's bad, it's just not "WOW I GOT A DEAL!"[/QUOTE]

I am not just talking about the Steam sale, I'm including trading and other sites that drop their prices as well because of Steams sale. I don't know about you but I have got some great deals so far. And I have help out people as well. My best deal Far Cry 3, 20 bucks. Best deal I have given, AC3 for AC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back