The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Idiotekque']
That too. The 30 FPS lock is bullshit.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Idiotekque']Nope, I had the problem where when the game was launched, absolutely nothing would happen, ever. There are like a million different things to try to fix it. I tried 999,000 or so and gave up. Not worth it for a 30 FPS game.[/quote]

The thing with 30 FPS locks is - if the game is ultra-smooth w/ the lock on and doesn't dip much or at all, I have no problem w/ the framerate limit. I don't want it dropping much lower, though, if it does drop (if it goes below 25, there's gonna be some obviously stutter or slow-down problems noticed). Major problems can arise if you unlock the framerate on games that want to be 30 FPS locked - especially if for some reason animations are locked/synced by the dev's right along w/ the framerate, for some reason (i.e. you can smell this game was possibly "consolized").

I actually had to 30 FPS lock NFS: The Run b/c God knows what kind of nonsense happened when the framerate was unlocked (CTD's, hard freezes, major framerates drops, etc).

Dark Souls: PTD (w/ Durante's DSFix installed) - I never saw a reason to unlock the FPS, as it was smooth as silk at 30 FPS never dropping much below it if it did (think around 25 frames was the lowest I seen the game hit for me) & b/c I don't want to chance getting a G4WL ban.

BTW - did you have problem w/ LA Noire on a Steam or Non-Steam version?

[quote name='BridgetFisher']LA noire is garbage at best its locked at 30fps since its designed for very old computers not modern computers,.[/QUOTE]

The word you're looking for is console.

[quote name='MysterD']The thing with 30 FPS locks is - if the game is ultra-smooth w/ the lock on and doesn't dip much or at all, I have no problem w/ the framerate limit. I don't want it dropping much lower, though, if it does drop (if it goes below 25, there's gonna be some obviously stutter or slow-down problems noticed). Major problems can arise if you unlock the framerate on games that want to be 30 FPS locked - especially if for some reason animations are locked/synced by the dev's right along w/ the framerate, for some reason (i.e. you can smell this game was possibly "consolized").

I actually had to 30 FPS lock NFS: The Run b/c God knows what kind of nonsense happened when the framerate was unlocked (CTD's, hard freezes, major framerates drops, etc).

Dark Souls: PTD (w/ Durante's DSFix installed) - I never saw a reason to unlock the FPS, as it was smooth as silk at 30 FPS never dropping much below it if it did (think around 25 frames was the lowest I seen the game hit for me) & b/c I don't want to chance getting a G4WL ban.

BTW - did you have problem w/ LA Noire on a Steam or Non-Steam version?[/QUOTE]
I dunno, I disagree completely. Both KOA:R and Borderlands 2 sometimes flip to (a steady) 30 FPS when saving and such for me (before hopping back to 60 FPS) and it hurts my eyes. I think 30 FPS looks like utter crap.

On a console? Looks alright, but I'm not sitting 2 1/2 feet away from the screen when I'm playing something on a console. If I hooked my laptop up to the TV to play a 30 FPS game? That would probably be fine, but I don't really like doing that.

Well I guess I am the only one who had no issues whatsoever getting LA Noire to run or with how it ran once I did and also happened to like it. *shrug*

It's sort of an AAA sandbox adventure game with Rockstar driving thrown in, at least to me.

[quote name='Mooby']Rockstar HIB?[/QUOTE]

Hot Coffee bonus.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I dunno, I disagree completely. Both KOA:R and Borderlands 2 sometimes flip to (a steady) 30 FPS when saving and such for me (before hopping back to 60 FPS) and it hurts my eyes. I think 30 FPS looks like utter crap.[/quote]
Don't have Borderlands 2.
Have KOA:R PC - loved it and it ran perfect on my rig.

On a console? Looks alright, but I'm not sitting 2 1/2 feet away from the screen when I'm playing something on a console. If I hooked my laptop up to the TV to play a 30 FPS game? That would probably be fine, but I don't really like doing that.
I don't do consoles - ain't bought one since original Playstation.
I also am sitting VERY CLOSE to my PC monitor for my desktop rig - and it does NOT bother me.
Of course, I've luckily never had motion sickness or any other issues b/c some people just can't handle low FOV's or Lord knows whatelse, either.
So, this all here is going to be different from person-to-person, as well.

I should note - I have LA Noire PC (Non-Steam) maxed-out on my rig (i5 950 @ 3.2 Ghz; GeForce GTX 560 TI; 8 GB RAM; Win 7 64-bit) and NEVER had problems w/ running the game in DX9 mode.
Forget DX10+ mode for LA Noire PC - it runs like garbage on my PC period.

EDIT:
Don't know if you read this or tried any of this, but hopefully there is something here that might help w/ LA Noire PC..

[quote name='MysterD']Don't have Borderlands 2.
Have KOA:R PC - loved it and it ran perfect on my rig.[/quote]
Runs perfect for me too, but it likes to jump to 30 FPS while autosaving sometimes. Then again, not everyone always has FRAPS running like I do, and since you don't mind 30 FPS, maybe it slipped past you. ;)

[quote name='MysterD']I don't do consoles - ain't bought one since original Playstation.
I also am sitting VERY CLOSE to my PC monitor for my desktop rig - and it does NOT bother me.
Of course, I've luckily never had motion sickness or any other issues b/c some people just can't handle low FOV's or Lord knows whatelse, either.
So, this all here is going to be different from person-to-person, as well.

I should note - I have LA Noire PC (Non-Steam) maxed-out on my rig (i5 950 @ 3.2 Ghz; GeForce GTX 560 TI; 8 GB RAM; Win 7 64-bit) and NEVER had problems w/ running the game in DX9 mode.
Forget DX10+ mode for LA Noire PC - it runs like garbage on my PC period.[/QUOTE]
It's a very strange problem. My PC is almost brand new, Win 7 64-bit, just nearly top of the line graphics card, and the game just refuses to even launch. If you Google around, it's a MASSIVE problem.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Runs perfect for me too, but it likes to jump to 30 FPS while autosaving sometimes. Then again, not everyone always has FRAPS running like I do, and since you don't mind 30 FPS, maybe it slipped past you. ;)[/quote]
Most games, I'm running XFire, Raptr, Steam, and FRAPS.
I don't normally record vids w/ FRAPS or XFire, though - that can slaughter framerates.

It's a very strange problem. My PC is almost brand new, Win 7 64-bit, just nearly top of the line graphics card, and the game just refuses to even launch. If you Google around, it's a MASSIVE problem.
Give me more of your PC details - namely processor, video card, RAM. It just seems like...you should NOT have these kinds of problems. Same goes for others, as well...

[quote name='Motoki']Well I guess I am the only one who had no issues whatsoever getting LA Noire to run or with how it ran once I did and also happened to like it. *shrug*

It's sort of an AAA sandbox adventure game with Rockstar driving thrown in, at least to me.[/QUOTE]

You're not alone. I just think too many people went into the game expecting 1940's GTA, which it is anything but.

[quote name='Motoki']Well I guess I am the only one who had no issues whatsoever getting LA Noire to run or with how it ran once I did and also happened to like it. *shrug*[/quote]
Same here, when running in DX9 mode.
DX10+ mode - FORGET IT.

It's sort of an AAA sandbox adventure game with Rockstar driving thrown in, at least to me.
Same here, Motoki. I totally loved the game.

EDIT:
[quote name='Cantatus']You're not alone. I just think too many people went into the game expecting 1940's GTA, which it is anything but.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I 'm glad LA Noire was WAY more focused on detective-stuff than actually driving and shooting constantly.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Don't forget Frankenmuth, New Holland, Jolly Pumpkin, Odd Sides and Dark Horse. (off the top of my head)

Those are tasty ones also. It's not complete and utter dominance though.

Great Lakes, Hoppin Frog, Thirsty Dog, Rockmill, Columbus Brewing, Barley’s Brewing, Fat Heads and Jackie O's. (off the top of my head) All make some fine brews.[/QUOTE]
MI beer is the best. I'm spoiled to live here! Drinking a Bell's Two Hearted as I type this.

Cheap PC games and good beer are a great combo.

[quote name='MysterD']Most games, I'm running XFire, Raptr, Steam, and FRAPS.
I don't normally record vids w/ FRAPS or XFire, though - that can slaughter framerates.[/quote]
Yeah, that always annoys me. What FREE video recorders are out there that don't murder framerates?

[quote name='MysterD']Give me more of your PC details - namely processor, video card, RAM. It just seems like...you should NOT have these kinds of problems. Same goes for others, as well...[/QUOTE]
Just check out my profile on Steam, it has my specs listed. I bought the computer a few months ago, mind you, so I know it's not my hardware. It's likely Rockstar Social Club being a little fucker.

[quote name='paulcalypse']Cheap PC games and good beer are a great combo.[/QUOTE]
See, I would have said good PC games and cheap beer...

I loved LA Noire. It was the first game I actually bothered to platinum on PS3. I am so tempted to get it for the PC and to play through it again, but I really should try to tackle some of my backlog.

Of course, I say that when I can't stop playing Saints Row 3 even though I beat the main story and all the side activities. I'm just having too much fun with that game!

See, I would have said good PC games and cheap beer...[/QUOTE]

Pro tip: play all the games a year late and spend the extra cash on good beer.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, that always annoys me. What FREE video recorders are out there that don't murder framerates?[/quote]
I wish I knew.

Just check out my profile on Steam, it has my specs listed. I bought the computer a few months ago, mind you, so I know it's not my hardware. It's likely Rockstar Social Club being a little fucker.
Did you MAKE sure you have the newest version of RSC installed (1.1.3.0)?

I know that's a known issue that Rockstar games sometimes don't update RSC properly - which can cause lots of problems for their games (black screen issues, game won't launch, etc).
RSC's issues w/ this is very similar to the problem G4WL had w/ it not updating G4WL correctly - which can cause tons of issues (like the above said stuff)!

If you got Steam-version of LA Noire - just verify your game cache for it via Steam. That should get RSC up-to-date there.

If you got Non-Steam version of LA Noire - just grab RSC update (currently version 1.1.3.0) on the RSC Page and follow directions on the page.

EDIT:
If you done this or do try this; AND you still have problems, try a few other things.
Shut-down any unnecessary programs running in the background. Programs like GameBooster can make that process a hell of a lot easier.
And always do the normal typical gaming stuff - i.e. keep your video card drivers up-to-date & audio drivers up-to-date.

[quote name='paulcalypse']Pro tip: play all the games a year late and spend the extra cash on good beer.[/QUOTE]
When you've acquired a taste for Budweiser and Natty Ice, you can do both of those things, except you buy even more games. ;)

Also, thought it was worth mentioning that Indie Game Stand's game today looks really interesting.

Mobiloid

Build your own fully functional robotic vehicles from parts you find along the way in a large platform puzzle world.
Collect components such as wheels and rockets and join them together - change your robot at any time during play to solve the puzzles at hand.
Infiltrate the mysterious factories of the Mobiloid Corporation. Level design is Metroid-inspired, i.e exploration and upgrade based.

The gameplay video looked interesting and fairly well made, and for $0.25 for just the exe download, or $1 for a Desura key (and Steam, if it gets Greenlighted, although I'd say that's doubtful considering the genre), not bad at all.

Reminds me a lot of Star Wars Droidworks. Loved that game as a kid. At the very least, this looks like a nice family friendly game, and educational too. I'll probably play it with my little cousin.

[quote name='MysterD']I wish I knew.

Did you MAKE sure you have the newest version of RSC installed (1.1.3.0)?

I know that's a known issue that Rockstar games sometimes don't update RSC properly - which can cause lots of problems for their games (black screen issues, game won't launch, etc).
It's very similar to the problem G4WL had w/ it not updating G4WL correctly - which can cause tons of issues.

If you got Steam-version of LA Noire - just verify your game cache for it via Steam. That should get RSC up-to-date there.

If you got Non-Steam version of LA Noire - just grab RSC update (currently version 1.1.3.0) on the RSC Page and follow directions on the page.

EDIT:
If you done this or do try this; AND you still have problems, shut-down any unnecessary programs running in the background. Programs like GameBooster can make that process a hell of a lot easier.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure I did that, but I don't know. It pissed me off so much, considering it was a 15GB download and GameFly's servers were molasses that day. I deleted the installer and wrote it off as a loss.

Maybe someday my rage will quell and I'll try again.

[quote name='dracula']hmm, i am looking at getting the complete version of la noire on amazon for $7.50 because i think it should come with a $5 coupon on a january 2013 purchase. i already bought gods and kings for $7.50 with a $5 coupon from amazon on black friday, i wouldnt mind having a second $5 off coupon. my backlog is pretty silly already, i can hold off for another year or 2 tho. thanks for the input[/QUOTE]

Where are you from?

In my country the Complete Edition is $5.74 while the regular edition is only $3.74

[quote name='paulcalypse']MI beer is the best. I'm spoiled to live here! Drinking a Bell's Two Hearted as I type this.

Cheap PC games and good beer are a great combo.[/QUOTE]

I have to say they are overall better than my Ohio brews but it's not a complete and utter domination. I'm still a huge fan of Great Lakes, Hoppin' Frog, and Thirsty Dog.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Pretty sure I did that, but I don't know. It pissed me off so much, considering it was a 15GB download and GameFly's servers were molasses that day. I deleted the installer and wrote it off as a loss.

Maybe someday my rage will quell and I'll try again.[/QUOTE]

Since you sound like you had a Non-Steam version here...
Did you every try any of the other typical things to do w/ Non-Steam versions?

I'll list those, in a second...

Run the game in compatibility mode to an older OS the game supports (i.e. Win XP SP3 or Vista).
Turn off Desktop Composition & Desktop Themes (i.e. that Aero crap that gets in the way of many games from running).
Run as an Admin.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, that always annoys me. What FREE video recorders are out there that don't murder framerates?

Just check out my profile on Steam, it has my specs listed. I bought the computer a few months ago, mind you, so I know it's not my hardware. It's likely Rockstar Social Club being a little fucker.[/QUOTE]

Model: Sager NP9370/Clevo P370EM
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M (4036 MB)
RAM: 8192MB RAM

The bottleneck is likely your cpu being just 2.4 gigs. You paid $2200 for this? ouch.

[quote name='MysterD']Since you sound like you had a Non-Steam version here...
Did you every try any of the other typical things to do w/ Non-Steam versions?

I'll list those, in a second...

Run the game in compatibility mode to an older OS the game supports (i.e. Win XP SP3 or Vista).
Turn off Desktop Composition & Desktop Themes (i.e. that Aero crap that gets in the way of many games from running).
Run as an Admin.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I did all those things, lol. They fix it for some people, and do nothing for others.

Really though, don't worry about it. I'm not really enthused about playing it at 30 FPS anyways, haha.

[quote name='dracula']Model: Sager NP9370/Clevo P370EM
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M (4036 MB)
RAM: 8192MB RAM

The bottleneck is likely your cpu being just 2.4 gigs. You paid $2200 for this? ouch.[/QUOTE]
lol, no. I don't get any bottlenecking whatsoever. Even the standard i7 core there is totally fine for gaming. You realize it's a laptop, right?

[quote name='Bort_']Where are you from?

In my country the Complete Edition is $5.74 while the regular edition is only $3.74[/QUOTE]

united states

[quote name='Idiotekque']When you've acquired a taste for Budweiser and Natty Ice, you can do both of those things, except you buy even more games. ;)
[/QUOTE]

You're doing it wrong.

High gravity malt liquor.

That's the way to have all the games.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yes, I did all those things, lol. They fix it for some people, and do nothing for others.

Really though, don't worry about it. I'm not really enthused about playing it at 30 FPS anyways, haha.
[/QUOTE]

I'm also reading turning off UAC helps, too.
That's like one of the first things I did, when I got Win 7, hehe - UAC being on can often be a problem for some games.

[quote name='MysterD']I'm also reading turning off UAC helps, too.
That's like one of the first things I did, when I got Win 7, hehe - UAC being on can often be a problem for some games.[/QUOTE]
I did that as well, lol. I told you, I did 999,000 out of a 1,000,000 different fixes to no avail. All the things you're reading, I read as well. :lol:

[quote name='Idiotekque']I did that as well, lol. I told you, I did 999,000 out of a 1,000,000 different fixes to no avail. All the things you're reading, I read as well. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Did you check here, too?

[quote name='Idiotekque']I did that as well, lol. I told you, I did 999,000 out of a 1,000,000 different fixes to no avail. All the things you're reading, I read as well. :lol:[/QUOTE]

so there is a thousand different things that could fix it that you still didn't try

[quote name='MysterD']Did you check here, too?[/QUOTE]
Yessir.

[quote name='tham1988']so there is a thousand different things that could fix it that you still didn't try[/QUOTE]
I'm only flesh and blood, man!

[quote name='Yamato']Who has an opinion on Snapshot?[/QUOTE]

Snapshot Quick Look. I've been thinking about snagging it the last half-hour or so, but at the end of the day, it's just another puzzle platformer and I'm backlogged all to hell.

[quote name='amusedtoe']While a great tool it is so piss poorly engineered that it locks up my web browser 90% of the time I try to search for anything. I just know past sales someone had kept track of things in thread.[/QUOTE]

Simply take the URL of any steam game and replace store.steampowered with steamgamesales and you can skip the whole searching process.

[quote name='hostyl1']Snapshot Quick Look. I've been thinking about snagging it the last half-hour or so, but at the end of the day, it's just another puzzle platformer and I'm backlogged all to hell.[/QUOTE]

Well, you really put that into perspective for me. I should work on my backlog.

Reminds me a lot of Star Wars Droidworks. Loved that game as a kid. At the very least, this looks like a nice family friendly game, and educational too. I'll probably play it with my little cousin.[/QUOTE]

Mention droid works and now I have to throw money at it.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Possible Hidden Gem?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/2930/[/QUOTE]
Just what everyone here needs... another historical strategy game. :lol:

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Mention droid works and now I have to throw money at it.[/QUOTE]
Haven't played it yet, so I could be wrong! It does look more playable and fast paced than Droidworks though (just check out the video for it on IGS).

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']sins of the solar empire worth it for $13.49?[/QUOTE]

I feel like it's been cheaper, but maybe I'm thinking of the Gal Civ stuff?

[quote name='Idiotekque']Just what everyone here needs... another historical strategy game. :lol:[/QUOTE]

But, But, This one isn't made by Paradox!. It's different, I swear......at least I hope. I don't actually own it or anything.....yet.
80% off, $2 game, you will be mine.

By the way, 75% or 66% off is a good rule and everything, but base game prices change. So 75% off a relatively new title isn't as good as 75% off when the base discount hits a year from now. Is there any web site that tracks when the base prices change? It would certainly go a long way toward being efficient with our CAGliness.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Possible Hidden Gem?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/2930/[/QUOTE]
This is supposed to be a good game, but can be difficult to learn. It's made by the same people who have Rise of prussia and Pride of Nations on steam. Though Pride of Nations was somewhat of a different style for them and they were under paradox at that time. I aim to grab it at the end of the sale. Just to bad steam doesn't have Birth of America 2. Everything the first game had, but more of it and a more refined gameplay.

[quote name='dracula']Is LA noire worth $5? or will it be $3.75 during the summer sale?[/QUOTE]
It's $3.74 here, but the complete edition is $14.99. (The DLC is $2.99 :lol:)

If anyone wants a copy for that much (or is willing to trade it + $1.25 for AC2 Deluxe - which is marked up in my region) you're welcome to PM me.

So what are the chances of the steam version of AC3 going cheaper than this in the coming months? I ask because I'm only on Brotherhood at the moment, and I don't see myself beating Brotherhood and Revelations for at least a month or two (considering all the other games in my backlog as well).

[quote name='fishphoenix']So what are the chances of the steam version of AC3 going cheaper than this in the coming months? I ask because I'm only on Brotherhood at the moment, and I don't see myself beating Brotherhood and Revelations for at least a month or two (considering all the other games in my backlog as well).[/QUOTE]

That depends. How bad do you need it on Steam? If you can live with just UPlay then someone somewhere will probably have it on sale in the coming months.

Your choices are somewhat more limited if you are in the US though since Greenmangaming and Getgamesgo cannot sell Ubi Stuff to the US.

[quote name='Motoki']It's sort of an AAA sandbox adventure game with Rockstar driving thrown in, at least to me.[/QUOTE]

This is just what I want. I have it drm-free but not enough computer to run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back