The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I am not sure I get the purpose of Retro City Rampage, if one wanted to play a top down version of Grand Theft Auto wouldn't they just play Grand Theft Auto 1 or 2...

[quote name='bloodling']*$5 DISCOUNT on each additional game.*

Have:

Skyrim $24
Dishonored $24
Doom 3 BFG Edition $10
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition $9
Fallout 3 GOTY $8
Oblivion GOTY Deluxe $7
Morrowind GOTY $7
RAGE $6
Brink Complete Pack $5

Want:

Paypal (funded by your bank account). No credit cards.
Amazon GC ($1 fee, $30 maximum)

Keys are available right now, no need to wait for them to arrive.[/QUOTE]

Remember this guy who's selling his Bethesda Pack keys for laughable amounts? Someone posted a link a few days ago about it. Seems like he has a bunch of support for his pricing scheme over in the Steam trading thread.

To paraphrase, "They're his keys and he can do what he wants with 'em! Skyrim for $24 from the Bethesda Pack is actually a good deal! I wouldn't buy them, but this outstanding gentleman might be able to take advantage of someone eventually! This is perfectly respectable, and we must chastise you for disagreeing!" :lol:

It's a little ridiculous to defend someone for such price gouging, as if he needs anyone's aid to justify selling one game for almost the price he paid for 10. I'm glad most of those heartless key peddlers stay out of this thread. We've got great people like Fox, who sells at cost. I won't allow them to be a part of this family.

I'm assuming this thread has gotten so weird because deals have, for the most part, absolutely sucked from Steam this Winter Sale ... right?

[quote name='etcrane']I'm assuming this thread has gotten so weird because deals have, for the most part, absolutely sucked from Steam this Winter Sale ... right?[/QUOTE]

Well, it just seems Amazon and the other digital game providers have amped their strategies to combat the Steam sales. I think it's great. More retailers means more options.

I've been disappointed by indie games not getting as much limelight as big retail games, but I have to remember that people usually don't come to Steam for indie games.

And besides, everything I want will be bundled eventually. :p

[quote name='Woodlands']Okay I bit on Resonance, thereby guaranteeing its inclusion in a bundle within four months. You're welcome, CAG.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely going to be in an Indie Royale bundle soon.

[quote name='etcrane']I'm assuming this thread has gotten so weird because deals have, for the most part, absolutely sucked from Steam this Winter Sale ... right?[/QUOTE]

Wait, the Winter Sale started?

Hoping to see The Secret World at 50% off today or tomorrow so I can get in on the extra DLC for being an early adopter of the B2P model. I have a feeling we won't get anything until 1/1 at the earlier though, at which point I can just get it from Amazon for $13.

OK, We've still got about 6 days left of new Daily Deals. What are the games that we usually expect to go on sale during a Steam sale which haven't appeared as a daily deal yet? So far I've got:

Fallout series
Dragon Age Orgies (appeared as a flash, but not a daily)
Maybe a few Paradox games. Hearts of Iron 3 or Crusader Kings, maybe.
Command & Conquer series

You can check this thread if you can't recall everything that has been a daily deal so far.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3032231

Steam needs a "let me know when it's under x.xx amount" button, rather than just a blanket sale email gig that, from what I've seen, barely works.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']^^^^
Far Cry series; hopefully[/QUOTE]
I guess it will be discounted in the last day, to maximalize profit, like it was Arma II was during summer sale.

Thanks! That seems decent.

Anyway... I want there to be a good sale, but I don't think anything else I want is going to drop low enough... I just want to buy something though, Steam has fucked me up good.

[quote name='chapnis']That look awesome, if it works as advertised it is amazing.[/QUOTE]

It was disabled for the first few days of the sale while he worked out how to keep the load down, but worked perfectly for me when Giana Sisters flipped over as a flash sale. I haven't had anything flip for me on a non-Steam site, so not sure how fast it updates other stores.

[quote name='Meringue']Steam needs a "let me know when it's under x.xx amount" button, rather than just a blanket sale email gig that, from what I've seen, barely works.[/QUOTE]
It's definitely terrible. I have just (3 minutes ago) received an email informing me that Skyrim and The Witcher 2 are on sale. :roll:

[quote name='MC Kage']Installed one thing but it didn't help. Gonna try re-installing...I noticed I can't change the location of the install either, I can do that with all my other games.[/QUOTE]
Eh... Even though that feature is implemented automatically now, some games still don't let you change the install directory. I suggest you look into symbolic linking if you want to move those games to different drive.

[quote name='The End']Dragon Age Orgies[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a good time.

[quote name='Detruire']It's definitely terrible. I have just (3 minutes ago) received an email informing me that Skyrim and The Witcher 2 are on sale. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I am wondering if the email will ever be delayed long enough for a sale item to stop being on sale when you receive the notice.

I would absolutely love an email at x or below price.

[quote name='MrMuffinzzz']Still waiting on that Primordia sale, Valve... :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

I saw it at 50% off somewhere I think. Can't remember where though...

[quote name='The End']OK, We've still got about 6 days left of new Daily Deals. What are the games that we usually expect to go on sale during a Steam sale which haven't appeared as a daily deal yet? So far I've got:

Fallout series
Command & Conquer series

You can check this thread if you can't recall everything that has been a daily deal so far.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3032231[/QUOTE]

Trine Franchise, have been waiting for it to go 75% to get the dlc.

[quote name='inm8num2']Maybe Steam's at the point where they don't need a clever or fun hook. They are huge, bigger than ever.

Previously their focus was on sales and competitive pricing. While they haven't ignored those, now they are putting more effort into Big Picture, the Steam Box thing, Linux, etc.

Not making excuses for the sale not being as exciting, but just trying to look at it from other perspectives. I guess I feel that Steam doesn't have as much incentive to come up with amazing sales or holiday achievements anymore.[/QUOTE]

Sales? Exciting?

Maybe for some... Most of us just go, "Gee... A bargain. Guess I will purchase that."

In games, many if not most of us say, "Good deal. I will buy it... and I have so many games to play sometime around the year 2018 I will get to these".

As for deals.

I bought Witcher and Witchy 2 for $10. Thats a pretty fine bargain (I plan on playing them in 2017).

I bought the Galactic Civilizations 2 Ultimate Edition for scant bucks. While I probably wont get around to playing it before Warp drive becomes standard in every Toyota Prius :) on Amazon a new copy of this game in its box will run me near $100+. Why? Because the cardboard and manual are considered a valuable part of the Abu Dubai Stock Exchange (apparently).

I bought Portal and Portal 2 for like $9 clams. Someday I might get around to playing them. But, I figured I would hedge my bets. That is to say if a huge leap happens in robotics should they determine that my underwear is offensive to them the fact I own these games might save me from Robo-castration.

[quote name='Echoes']Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't DMC4 already at 66% off before the flash sale?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it was on Steam, but it's been 66% off on GMG for a few days (and it costs even less if you apply the voucher code).

[quote name='elessar123']Is it just me, or does the DMC4/3DMark/Trine flash deals say it ends in 6 days?[/QUOTE]

Same, looks to be a countdown to the end of the sale? Maybe when they sort that down they will be more heavily dicounted? Who knows...

[quote name='Mattitudev96']Having the full version of 3Dmark 11 will be pretty useful, especially on steam. Picked it up.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about this, as I plan on upgrading my computer innards in 2013. (Better processor, maybe a better graphics card, etc.)

Allow me to demonstrate my incompetence: Buying the 3D Mark Vantage is just about useless nowadays, right? Its for testing graphics cards that top out at DirectX 10, and all the newer cards are built around DirectX 11 (?) - making 3Dmark 11 the only one I should get if I want a thorough test?

(currently running a XFX AMD Radeon 7850 graphics card with a i7 2600 processor.)

So if I get the 3Dmark 11 at $4.99, that should set me up nicely for testing next year, right?

Thanks.

[quote name='iSerra']DMC3 and DMC4 has been 66% all the while this winter sale, i won't even consider that as a flash sale.[/QUOTE]

Took me a minute to figure out, but the flash sale is on the DMC3+4 bundle. Original price was $15 (yes, more than buying 3+4 separate) and they dropped it down to the 66% that it should've been all sale.

Any thoughts on Hitman: Codename 47 for $2.50? I'm planning on getting the Hitman HD collection down the line but it doesn't include the first game.

I've heard that Contracts covers some of the levels/ story from the first one. Is there any reason to play Codename 47 first, or should i just skip it and play from 2 onward?

[quote name='Genocidal']Took me a minute to figure out, but the flash sale is on the DMC3+4 bundle. Original price was $15 (yes, more than buying 3+4 separate) and they dropped it down to the 66% that it should've been all sale.[/QUOTE]
Lame... I already have DMC4 since many sales ago.

[quote name='sunghost']Trine franchise is 75% off, but the DLC is still 50% off, pretty funny stuff lol.[/QUOTE]
Called it. :roll:

I work odd shifts and I catch myself waking up and spending the first hour or two catching up on this thread; the sales are underwhelming but the cat fights and jokes are worth it.

I picked up Resonance before bothering to see the comments suggesting future indie bundle status, which glancing over the list of their other games confirms it for me.

The timing on all the flash sales have been appearing jacked to me since the sale started. My phone's steam app, laptop's browser, and steam application will all show different ending times and even prices occasionally. Trine showed up as 75% in my browser and then dropped to 50% in the actual steam application.

Has that Vampire Masquerade game been on sale yet?

[quote name='Blade']Remember this guy who's selling his Bethesda Pack keys for laughable amounts? Someone posted a link a few days ago about it. Seems like he has a bunch of support for his pricing scheme over in the Steam trading thread.

To paraphrase, "They're his keys and he can do what he wants with 'em! Skyrim for $24 from the Bethesda Pack is actually a good deal! I wouldn't buy them, but this outstanding gentleman might be able to take advantage of someone eventually! This is perfectly respectable, and we must chastise you for disagreeing!" :lol:

It's a little ridiculous to defend someone for such price gouging, as if he needs anyone's aid to justify selling one game for almost the price he paid for 10. I'm glad most of those heartless key peddlers stay out of this thread. We've got great people like Fox, who sells at cost. I won't allow them to be a part of this family.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I posted earlier. I'm all for gettin' ya hustle on, but that dude is somethin' else lol.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh... Even though that feature is implemented automatically now, some games still don't let you change the install directory. I suggest you look into symbolic linking if you want to move those games to different drive.[/QUOTE]
I think the problem is with my hard drive being too big, have had that problem 4 times already. If I can't change the install location idk what to do.

[quote name='sunghost']Trine franchise is 75% off, but the DLC is still 50% off, pretty funny stuff lol.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks. I have been waiting for the trine 2 dlc to go on sale for 75% off.

[quote name='Rerujnoc']Well that sucks. I have been waiting for the trine 2 dlc to go on sale for 75% off.[/QUOTE]
I was hoping for it too, bit did expect it to be only 50% off - they've done the same for the past few times that Trine 2 has been on sale. :whistle2:(

[quote name='SeymourGams']

Has that Vampire Masquerade game been on sale yet?[/QUOTE]

ive checked every flash sale and it hasnt yet. game is fun, albeit buggy (youll definitely need the unofficial patches to play through it) and you can expect about 30 hours for a playthrough. 15 bucks is pretty steep though, id honestly wait til it becomes a midweek or something if it doesnt go deeper by the end of this sale

[quote name='The End']OK, We've still got about 6 days left of new Daily Deals. What are the games that we usually expect to go on sale during a Steam sale which haven't appeared as a daily deal yet? So far I've got:

Fallout series
Command & Conquer series

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3032231[/QUOTE]

Ok... I want that game!... wait... maybe not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back