The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='akmgmer']Well there is the Far Cry sale I'm sure a lot of people were waiting for.[/QUOTE]

I actually was.

But now my Steam client is bugged out and showing yesterday's sale again. I'm a very impatient person. This isn't working out for me.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I actually was.

But now my Steam client is bugged out and showing yesterday's sale again. I'm a very impatient person. This isn't working out for me.[/QUOTE]

Its actually a really good game. I didn't mean for my comment to sound sarcastic but it definitely does. I would buy it if I didn't already have it. I'm sure Steam will fix itself in a few minutes.

[quote name='Terlan']Hmmm don't know if far cry 3 is worth it for that price.[/QUOTE]

It is. One of my favorite games this year.

FC 3 is a great game. Actually nicer on the PC than on consoles if you ask me.

They have Age Of Empires Complete on now for $10. Another really solid buy.

[quote name='Broken Cage']So... Would anyone recommend the Mount & Blade collection for $8.75?[/QUOTE]
If you don't have any of the games then yes. You'd also be fine with just warband. Not everyone cared for fire and sword. And the only reason to have the original mount and blade over warband is some popular mods didn't switch over to warband.

[quote name='Broken Cage']So... Would anyone recommend the Mount & Blade collection for $8.75?[/QUOTE]

youll either love them or hate them, theyre easy to mod, with tons of neat campaigns and settings (though napoleon was actually based off a mod, and there were guns in mods before wf&s )

if youre looking for mp though, go with chivalry

Any thoughts on Far Cry 1 + 2? I haven't played either of them, but they're really cheap and they got good reviews. Do they still hold up after all this time? Worth getting both/one/neither?

Is it worth the 8 bucks to buy Orcs Must Die Franchise pack? Or would I be just fine buying the Orcs Must Die 2 complete for 6.

Also complete noob question but when it says 2 pack next to a game it means you get 2 codes correct? I'm thinking if it really isnt necessary to buy the franchise pack then I'd just pick up the 2 pack of the second one and gift one to my sister
Thanks

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']Any thoughts on Far Cry 1 + 2? I haven't played either of them, but they're really cheap and they got good reviews. Do they still hold up after all this time? Worth getting both/one/neither?[/QUOTE]

I liked them, but it's been a long time since I played them.

I love that you can buy the Franchise Pack for $49.99 or individually for $2.50+2.50+37.99 = $43. Huh, $7 surcharge for buying the package? That's..... odd

Far Cry 1 is like Crysis. It's good when you're fighting humans, then it gets dumb when it introduces the sci-fi stuff. The AI can get a bit annoying sometimes too. Dumb as a rock at times, snipers with pistols at a hundred yards others.

FC2 is a mixed bag. Lot of good ideas though. Easily worth 2.50 though. I liked it quite a bit but a lot of people loathed it.

[quote name='Zazoo']Is it worth the 8 bucks to buy Orcs Must Die Franchise pack? Or would I be just fine buying the Orcs Must Die 2 complete for 6.

Also complete noob question but when it says 2 pack next to a game it means you get 2 codes correct? I'm thinking if it really isnt necessary to buy the franchise pack then I'd just pick up the 2 pack of the second one and gift one to my sister
Thanks[/QUOTE]
I'd say it's worth it but OMD1 isn't necessary really. I still like having both for the levels.

& it means one will go to your game library and the other goes to inventory. That would work to if you wanted to do that. Co-op is supposed to be a highlight of it.

Still can't get Saints Row The Third to work. smfh

I bought a 2 pack of orcs must die 2, and one of them goes to my inventory. Then I bought another complete pack, and i still only have one gift copy in my inventory. What a scam.

Far Cry is definitely tempting. I sure do have enough games to play to last me till the next winter though... that's been a huge justification to not buy too many games on this sale. Not to mention next semester will probably keep me busy. ;)

[quote name='tfr']I bought a 2 pack of orcs must die 2, and one of them goes to my inventory. Then I bought another complete pack, and i still only have one gift copy in my inventory. What a scam.[/QUOTE]

You never ever get an extra copy of a game you already own on Steam unless it explicitly says so.

[quote name='tfr']I bought a 2 pack of orcs must die 2, and one of them goes to my inventory. Then I bought another complete pack, and i still only have one gift copy in my inventory. What a scam.[/QUOTE]

Did you buy another copy, or did you buy another GIFT copy?

Oehhh Far Cry 3 is tempting me... but I will wait untill I've finished at least 75% of my backlog. Or at least untill I have built myself a new PC that can actually run this baby in it's full glory. My phenom II 955 and dual HD5850 will not be able to, unfortunately.

That is the one thing I really hate about Steam. The whole bits of packages you already own disappear into the ether making any bundle that has at least one item you already own pointless to purchase. It's also what I love about other retailers these days, because not only are they beating Steam's prices but if you get a bundle with them, you can do whatever you want with your extra keys.

Muwhahaha

So I was poking around on files from an old drive, looking for Far Cry (it been free back in 2007?). I also stumble across a Far Cry 2 that I have no recollection of. I also find the other games that had been free for a short bit in 2007: Ghost Recon (yay, was considering buying a few days ago)k, Prince of Persia: Sands of time (picked up the whole PoP pack for $12.50 in spring), Rayman's Raving Rabbits, and CC Gold (still have on CD).

Don't even get me starting on crack open ye olde CD binder.

Amazon is price matching the DD. Plus they have a 10 dollar discount for Prime members. Do anyone know if it works with Steam or is it still Uplay?

[quote name='ChuckInKC']Amazon is price matching the DD. Plus they have a 10 dollar discount for Prime members. Do anyone know if it works with Steam or is it still Uplay?[/QUOTE]

Amazon DD is Uplay.

I just don't know if it downloads through amazon or Uplay client. Initially and redownload...

[quote name='ChuckInKC']Amazon is price matching the DD. Plus they have a 10 dollar discount for Prime members. Do anyone know if it works with Steam or is it still Uplay?[/QUOTE]

When did they start doing a Prime discount? I'd check but that thread us a whining complaining lookatme lookatme Tony OMG you didn't answer my question from 20 minutes ago mess and I'm browsing on a phone.

Uplay games from not from the Ubi store need to be downloaded from (Amazon/Gamefly/GG) the first time. There was a recent report that after installing that are registered to your Uplay and can be re-installed from Uplay.

Well nothing for me today. I mean there is literally nothing for me to buy unless I get DLC packs because I own all the base games. Also I don't own Doom 3 BFG but Modded Regular Doom 3 is cheaper and better anyway.

In fact you can buy every Doom game for like half that of BFG edition.

I actually did not care for Far Cry 3. It looks amazing but took me a long time to get running smoothly on my machine. I thought the story was pretty ridiculous and just couldn't get into it. There is tons to do but all of it is very repetitive and almost too easy at times. I do like how you have options of being stealthy or just sitting back and sniping. Even though I say I didn't like it much I did finish the game at 100%. It took me about 30 hours total.

I think it's only for Amazon Student members which is fucking stupid because I am not a student anymore, I graduated college and I have my wonderful prime subscription.

It's uPlay and not Steam. In fact Far Cry 3 from Steam would register with uPlay too but only the Steam version has Steam integration or what small integration there is.

Far Cry 3 imo is ok, but the real problem that turned me off is the side missions are so goddamn repetitive. Oh you capture a base to get a new fast travel point, here are the same 3 missions just in different locations over and over again. The main missions are good, but the side missions have not made me want to come back to it. I eventually will, but that's after I get over my current RPG addiction, lol.

Where are you seeing the 10 dollar discount?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I think it's only for Amazon Student members which is fucking stupid because I am not a student anymore, I graduated college and I have my wonderful prime subscription.

It's uPlay and not Steam. In fact Far Cry 3 from Steam would register with uPlay too but only the Steam version has Steam integration or what small integration there is.[/QUOTE]

o_O I have Amazon Student but I don't see the $10 discount. It's the same price as it is on Steam....

AoE III....been a long time since I played a AoE game. Thinking about getting this one. Is it worth it at this price point? ($9.99)

[quote name='Motoki']You never ever get an extra copy of a game you already own on Steam unless it explicitly says so.[/QUOTE]

The first 2 pack i bought add one to my library, and one to my gift. I would expect to have a second copy if i buy another complete pack as gift?

[quote name='Captain Urahara']Did you buy another copy, or did you buy another GIFT copy?[/QUOTE]

I bought another as gift.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']That is the one thing I really hate about Steam. The whole bits of packages you already own disappear into the ether making any bundle that has at least one item you already own pointless to purchase. It's also what I love about other retailers these days, because not only are they beating Steam's prices but if you get a bundle with them, you can do whatever you want with your extra keys.[/QUOTE]

I did not even own the game before I bought the 2 pack.

EDIT: Never mind it shows up after I restart steam.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well nothing for me today. I mean there is literally nothing for me to buy unless I get DLC packs because I own all the base games. Also I don't own Doom 3 BFG but Modded Regular Doom 3 is cheaper and better anyway.

In fact you can buy every Doom game for like half that of BFG edition.[/QUOTE]

Doom BFG, and Doom+Expansion all show up as separate entries in your Steam Library. So, you can still mod the non-BFG version.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Where are you seeing the 10 dollar discount?[/QUOTE]

Under the FarCry 3 product description:

"Amazon Student Promo Details
Far Cry 3 on PS3, XBOX360, PC, and Digital Download is $10 off from 12/9-12/31 for all Amazon Student Members. Simply use the Promotion Code: FC3AMZNS at checkout. Promotion only valid on items sold and shipped by Amazon. Promotion code only valid once per customer."

I ended up getting it on Amazon DD for 27 bucks. Would've preferred to get it on Steam, but the 10 dollars off, plus a GC balance made it too good to pass up. I'll just have to deal with the Ama Downloader.

[quote name='ChuckInKC']Under the FarCry 3 product description:

Far Cry 3 on PS3, XBOX360, PC, and Digital Download is $10 off from 12/9-12/31 for all Amazon Student Members. Simply use the Promotion Code: FC3AMZNS at checkout. Promotion only valid on items sold and shipped by Amazon. Promotion code only valid once per customer."[/QUOTE]

holy shit thats good.

[quote name='ChuckInKC']Under the FarCry 3 product description:

Far Cry 3 on PS3, XBOX360, PC, and Digital Download is $10 off from 12/9-12/31 for all Amazon Student Members. Simply use the Promotion Code: FC3AMZNS at checkout. Promotion only valid on items sold and shipped by Amazon. Promotion code only valid once per customer."[/QUOTE]

That code only applied a $10 discount for me- knocking the price to $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back