The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SpartenOmega117']Man interested in Age of Empires 3 but already bought civ 5 GOTY and xcom. To many strategy games. What do you guys think? Will this get cheaper?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have a backlog full of strategy games. ( Distant Worlds, Endless Space, Fallen Enchantress, Gal Civ I and 2) and still playing Civ V

It's my favorite genre so I'm tempted to jump on Age of Empires 3 but with that big of a backlog I wonder if it will be cheaper if I wait.

edit: Also biding my time waiting on a big X:Com price drop.

[quote name='Stri26']When is the next big sale? I am tempted by Skyrim, but having difficulty with it having been out a year already.[/QUOTE]
The next big sale is the summer. Don't remember if they do sales in the spring or not.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']Man interested in Age of Empires 3 but already bought civ 5 GOTY and xcom. To many strategy games. What do you guys think? Will this get cheaper?[/QUOTE]

I think it'll never reach it's lowest price of $0.10 again. CAG SD There are three price trackers in my sig.

I think this sale is no cheaper than the last time this game was on sale. So I doubt it will be cheaper next time. Seems to be pretty expensive still for such an old game.

[quote name='Stri26']When is the next big sale? I am tempted by Skyrim, but having difficulty with it having been out a year already.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's another BIG sale until July 4th, but they'll have weekend/daily sales all the time.

Late June/Early July of 2013
Although, STEAM will probably have a Bethesda Week [during Quake Con?] during March April; Skyrim will probably go on sale then

Fixed that for you! ^_~

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']Is far cry and far cry instincts the same game?[/QUOTE]
If your talking about that early xbox console game, no. Far Cry Instincts is in name only to Far Cry. Far Cry is way more open ended and better.

Anyone else notice the Far Cry Franchise Pack is $49.99 and the individual games [FC1, FC2, FC3] adds up to $42.50.
I've seen packs cost a few pennies more [and usually ignore it], but being off by $7.50, sheesh !

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If your talking about that early xbox console game, no. Far Cry Instincts is in name only to Far Cry. Far Cry is way more open ended and better.[/QUOTE]

Oh really? I remember play incites a long time ago on the Xbox. The coach tee in far cry looks similar to the one in instincts.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']Late June/Early July of 2013
Although, STEAM will probably have a Bethesda Week [during Quake Con?] during March April; Skyrim will probably go on sale then[/QUOTE]
Quakecon is in August.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']Anyone else notice the Far Cry Franchise Pack is $49.99 and the individual games [FC1, FC2, FC3] adds up to $42.50.
I've seen packs cost a few pennies more [and usually ignore it], but being off by $7.50, sheesh ![/QUOTE]

That's our Gabe. :lol:

[quote name='Tsel']Is it bad that I'm really tempted to get the Strategy First Collection?[/QUOTE]

No, it's not bad at all. If it weren't for the fact that I'd end up with Bad Rats & World Basketball Manager 2010, I probably would have bought it already.

69 games for $30. Of course, most of them are kind of mediocre. But there are enough gems in there to make it worthwhile.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not sure I'd want all those games that I'd never play cluttering up my library.

[quote name='plft']Quakecon is in August.[/QUOTE]

Oh, thanks for the correction. If that's the case, then most likely no Skyrim sale until Summer 2013.

[quote name='bob_793']Debating...
Far Cry 3 on amazon
GTA Pack (I have hard copies for the xbox I dont even know why im debating it...)
Dawn Guard
Far cry 1-2
Witcher 2[/QUOTE]

get the wticher 2. :)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I think it's only for Amazon Student members which is fucking stupid because I am not a student anymore, I graduated college and I have my wonderful prime subscription.[/QUOTE]

Well that kind of sucks. Don't the Students get their Prime for free meanwhile the regular members, you know, pay for it.

I should go complain to Tony!

Kidding! There's far too much of that nonsense there already.

Disclaimer: No Walkonshadowses were harmed in the creation of this message

[quote name='CKEStriker']really contemplating if i should get skyrim....will this be the cheapest?[/QUOTE]

No. Three years from now you will get the GOTY edition or complete edition for $5

[quote name='CKEStriker']really contemplating if i should get skyrim....will this be the cheapest?[/QUOTE]

From Steam, probably until a few months/summer.

But GMG has offered Skyrim for less a couple times. Plus, there is always the CAG trading route but cheaper prices will probably depend on what happens with GG keys which will not be known for a few weeks.

[quote name='Motoki']Well that kind of sucks. Don't the Students get their Prime for free meanwhile the regular members, you know, pay for it.

I should go complain to Tony!

Kidding! There's far too much of that nonsense there already.

Disclaimer: No Walkonshadowses were harmed in the creation of this message[/QUOTE]

Sadly they only give us students a year of free prime. Then they ever so kindly offer prime for half price for the next 3-4 years. So like $35/year for shipping, video streaming, and Far Cry 3 for $30. It's not too shabby.

now the question is, get far cry 3 now? or wait for $20 sometime in the couple months.

[quote name='captaink']Deluxe edition worth the extra $7.50 for Far Cry 3?[/QUOTE]
It's mostly multiplayer stuff. There's an additional single-player mission as well but if you're not planning on playing MP, I'd have a hard time saying one extra mission is worth another 20%.

[quote name='tham1988']so do you need an origin account to play mass effect 2? or just for dlc?[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect 2 came out before Origin; you don't need Origin but you can register the key if you want. And to my knowledge, all ME DLC is only available through the fucking Bioware store. I took a quick look at Origin just in case but it seems that that's still the case.

Just wait for the next sale - with the modding progress slowing down (and with one of the major mods now unavailable) you should just wait for the next sale.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Mass Effect 2 came out before Origin; you don't need Origin but you can register the key if you want. And to my knowledge, all ME DLC is only available through the fucking Bioware store. I took a quick look at Origin just in case but it seems that that's still the case.[/QUOTE]

ok thank you
it says something about an ea online account needed but im guessing thats the bioware account and its for cerberus network whatever like the console version

lol at far cry 3 franchise pack being number 8 on steam bestsellers
people suck at math (or just reading the part on the product page where it adds it for you to tell you it is a bad deal)

[quote name='mjontrix']Just wait for the next sale - with the modding progress slowing down (and with one of the major mods now unavailable) you should just wait for the next sale.[/QUOTE]

What mod went missing?

[quote name='mjontrix']Just wait for the next sale - with the modding progress slowing down (and with one of the major mods now unavailable) you should just wait for the next sale.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think I'll do that. Have been in the mood for a good high fantasy game lately...maybe Ill pick up DA:O Ultimate when that pops back up...beat it on console years ago

[quote name='The End']No, it's not bad at all. If it weren't for the fact that I'd end up with Bad Rats & World Basketball Manager 2010, I probably would have bought it already.

69 games for $30. Of course, most of them are kind of mediocre. But there are enough gems in there to make it worthwhile.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not sure I'd want all those games that I'd never play cluttering up my library.[/QUOTE]

Well there's someone selling the pack in the trading forum for only $20, so I figured I might jump on that. There are some duplicates in there, but I think most of them will be new to me. Out of the entire 69 game lot, I own about 10 of the games and the rest I'm worried will show up in a bundle. But like you said, there are some gems in there. There's a lot of garbage, but the $20 price tag is what's grabbing my attention.

[quote name='Stri26']Thanks, I think I'll do that. Have been in the mood for a good high fantasy game lately...maybe Ill pick up DA:O Ultimate when that pops back up...beat it on console years ago[/QUOTE]
Torchlight II is good but if you don't want the top down perspective I hear Divinity II is also a good choice.

I still need to play both of them :lol:. Yep in the backlog.

[quote name='asheskitty']I think it'll never reach it's lowest price of $0.10 again. CAG SD There are three price trackers in my sig.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I downloaded GFWL on my new pc to play Dead Rising 2 a few days ago. Out of curiosity I checked my downloaded games and remembered that I got AoE III and Deus Ex GOTY for pretty cheap prices. I also have Viva Pinata for some reason.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Torchlight II is good but if you don't want the top down perspective I hear Divinity II is also a good choice.

I still need to play both of them :lol:. Yep in the backlog.[/QUOTE]

Divinity looks interesting...will grab that if it goes on sale any further. Thanks!

For anyone considering DMC3... (For the record, the PC port of DMC4 has always been great.) DMC3+4 bundle $10 on flash sale

I have it both on PS2 and PC. Regarding the PC port...

It seems to run fine on Win7-64bit. The PC port's performance was pretty bad back in the day. I just ran through the first mission and Fraps reported constant 60 FPS on my four year old Phenom II X3 720 BE (@ 3.2 GHz) and GTX 260. Without modding, it is 3:4 with resolutions up to 1600x1200. It looks a bit sharper than the PS2 version (simply due to rendering at higher rez). Graphics and textures look the same as on PS2.

I stronly recommend that you have a DirectInput compatible controller (e.g. RumblePad 2, F310/F510/F710), for this and any other games on PC that predated the Xbox 360. If you do, it will work flawlessly.

You can use an Xinput (360 controller, F310/F510/F710) controller but by default the sticks will be swapped. Simply adding a few lines to the INI fixed that. However LT and RT do not seem to work (not surprising, in Xinput LT & RT are mapped to the positive and negative halves of a single axis -- not separate buttons like in DirectInput. This seems to render LT & RT unusable. I do recall some software for backward compatability for 360 controllers, but I've never tried it. Reportedly you can just map two of your buttons to keyboard keys as a workaround.

quote to reveal grimrock? yes? :)
I'll bite on Jagged Alliance Crossfire even if its awful. Probably pick up AssCreed 1 and/or 2 if it comes back. Shoulda got it.
I'm probably gonna wait for Far Cry 3 to go a bit cheaper. I can't buy it with a 10-15$ Steam surcharge, knowing well that Uplay copies go frequently for 20$ less. What a bummer. This game SHOULD have cost 10$ since it was an ATI pack in, but due to the existence of UPlay it wasn't.
Probably gonna get Anno 2070 base, even if it is totally and completely wrong on so many different levels. UHG. NO. STOP.
Anybody recommend a different better purchase. I really don't want to support Ubisoft practices. Oh no I just remembered its an online single player game.

I was disappointed last year when I grabbed Divinity II & then realized it had no controller support. Yeah, yeah, some ppl would only play PC games w/ a mouse & keyboard, but the controller is how I prefer to play with rare exception. And since the game was ported to the 360, there's no reason that control option should be absent from the PC version.

[quote name='gilby']I used a gta san andreas specific controller app to get fully customized controlls. I have a link around somewhere and will post it later.[/QUOTE]
I was going to post about this, it's called SAAC and I think it requires you to find a version 1.0 exe of the game and pop it into your game folder along with the app. Sorry if that was already mentioned, I don't have time to read the last 6 pages of the thread right now.

[quote name='Dalrint']What mod went missing?[/QUOTE]

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

It changed so many textures, and with it gone (Modding drama, think of it like Steam drama but 100x worse) the game has suddenly become a lot more bland. Doesn't help that the community is burned out (That mesh bug really turned off modders to Skyrim). The next DLC better be another Morrowind to bring back the modders...

[quote name='Syntax Error']It's mostly multiplayer stuff. There's an additional single-player mission as well but if you're not planning on playing MP, I'd have a hard time saying one extra mission is worth another 20%.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering too. Thanks.

I was going to use Amazon but went with this for $27. 83 with the code in cart and has a dlc.

http://www.direct2play.com/331-far-...ame-ubisoft-digital-download-region-free.html

[quote name='mjontrix']Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

It changed so many textures, and with it gone (Modding drama, think of it like Steam drama but 100x worse) the game has suddenly become a lot more bland. Doesn't help that the community is burned out (That mesh bug really turned off modders to Skyrim). The next DLC better be another Morrowind to bring back the modders...[/QUOTE]

Nexus seems to kick a lot of the mods and modders off their site [I know that the author THIRTEENORANGES was kicked off for having a 2nd account]. Good thing some of them are moving over to Workshop.

[quote name='Dalrint']What mod went missing?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mjontrix']Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

It changed so many textures, and with it gone (Modding drama, think of it like Steam drama but 100x worse) the game has suddenly become a lot more bland. Doesn't help that the community is burned out (That mesh bug really turned off modders to Skyrim). The next DLC better be another Morrowind to bring back the modders...[/QUOTE]

Ahem,

HTTP download of both the 1k and 2K version w/ Dawnguard textures (1.6 Update)
Torrent with 2k textures (same as above but highly compressed and spit into parts)

1.6 was the last version produced. Enjoy. Oh, and here are some pics:
http://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Realistic_Overhaul

I suggest if you have any interest in SkyRim at all, you grab this mob before it does become extinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back