The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
If the 'cycles' are predictable Serious Sam will end up as a daily sale overlapping into January. If it ends up on the EC you're looking at $1 for Serious Sam 3. I totally overpaid by $3.50!

[quote name='mjontrix']Just wait for the next Bethesda mod breaking patch - then we're stuffed xD Hence why I told Dalrint (I think) to wait for the next sale to buy Skyrim - by then everything should hopefully be sorted out.[/QUOTE]

That's a heavy assumption to think a texture patch will be broken by a future update. You're recommending him to wait, I'm recommending he download the mod just in case, whether he waits or not. That way he has it either way.

I have a dillema, I wanted a resource/management game....so I purchased the 2k collection from Amazon today ($20 for Civ IV GOTY, CIV V, and Civ 5 Kings & Gods). I never played any Civilization game since part 2 (long time ago, at least 15 years). I always had fond memories of Age of Empires II when in middle school, I really loved that game.

I start up Civ V, and immediatly feel overwelmed. Im not sure why though, maybe how modern games (COD, Halo, Final Fantasy XIII) everything is fast paced, based on reflexes rather then thinking). I played Civ V for around 3 hours straight, and felt like I got nowhere at all, no sense of accomplishment. I had 3 military units total after 1 hour, and after 2 hours I only had 2 buildings researched. After the 3rd hour I gave up, all the CPU civalizations had 3-4 citys each and I only had two, but CPU refused to make a move on my territory.

I see that Age of Empires III Complete Collection is on sale at steam for $10. I never played AoE III, I swore I thought MS made Age of Empires III Free to play online, or am I mistaken?

Can you guys answer these questions, regarding Civ 5 and Age of Empires III.

1. Age of Empires III easier to understand? less complex at least?

2. AoE III quicker then Civ V? (momentum and advancing wise)

3. I tend to ignore foriegn policy in Civ V, but of course get detroyed because of that,, is AoE III more forgiving in that aspect?

Also I see Mount & Blade Collection is on sale also, I enjoy War of Roses and Medeval Chivalry, are they similar to that? Should I purchase the whole Collection or just pick the best one?

[quote name='mjontrix']Just wait for the next Bethesda mod breaking patch - then we're stuffed xD Hence why I told Dalrint (I think) to wait for the next sale to buy Skyrim - by then everything should hopefully be sorted out.[/QUOTE]

That's a heavy assumption to think a texture patch will be broken by a future update. You're recommending him to wait, I'm recommending he download the mod just in case, whether he waits or not. That way he has it either way. Buy or don't buy, makes no difference to me. You told him a mod was unavailable, I was educating him otherwise.

[quote name='mjontrix']Just wait for the next sale - with the modding progress slowing down (and with one of the major mods now unavailable)
you should just wait for the next sale.[/QUOTE]
=================================================================================================

[quote name='UW_Shocks']Why was the Skyrim Realistic Overhaul mod taken down from nexus? Was the author being naughty? Did it contain copyrighted content?[/QUOTE]

The author wanted to start only giving it only to donaters. Against nexus and Betheda's TOS.

[quote name='walkonshadows']That's a heavy assumption to think a texture patch will be broken by a future update. You're recommending him to wait, I'm recommending he download the mod just in case, whether he waits or not. That way he has it either way.[/QUOTE]
Downloading now. Thanks :lol:

[quote name='asheskitty']Shady, selling scanned keys. For CAGs that prefer dealing with legitimate sellers, I'd suggest avoiding these guys.[/QUOTE]

Oh damn :(

Slickdeals dudes said they were legit

[quote name='asheskitty']For anyone considering DMC3... (For the record, the PC port of DMC4 has always been great.) DMC3+4 bundle $10 on flash sale

I have it both on PS2 and PC. Regarding the PC port...

It seems to run fine on Win7-64bit. The PC port's performance was pretty bad back in the day. I just ran through the first mission and Fraps reported constant 60 FPS on my four year old Phenom II X3 720 BE (@ 3.2 GHz) and GTX 260. Without modding, it is 3:4 with resolutions up to 1600x1200. It looks a bit sharper than the PS2 version (simply due to rendering at higher rez). Graphics and textures look the same as on PS2.

I stronly recommend that you have a DirectInput compatible controller (e.g. RumblePad 2, F310/F510/F710), for this and any other games on PC that predated the Xbox 360. If you do, it will work flawlessly.

You can use an Xinput (360 controller, F310/F510/F710) controller but by default the sticks will be swapped. Simply adding a few lines to the INI fixed that. However LT and RT do not seem to work (not surprising, in Xinput LT & RT are mapped to the positive and negative halves of a single axis -- not separate buttons like in DirectInput. This seems to render LT & RT unusable. I do recall some software for backward compatability for 360 controllers, but I've never tried it. Reportedly you can just map two of your buttons to keyboard keys as a workaround.[/QUOTE]

Gah! Nice deal, but I won't play them any time soon, so I'd better save my money. So tempting, though

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Gah! Nice deal, but I won't play them any time soon, so I'd better save my money. So tempting, though[/QUOTE]
[quote name='asheskitty']For anyone considering DMC3... (For the record, the PC port of DMC4 has always been great.) DMC3+4 bundle $10 on flash sale.......[/QUOTE]

Yes, Waiting for 75% off. But ashes, succinct as always and appreciated.

[quote name='Tsel']Is it bad that I'm really tempted to get the Strategy First Collection?[/QUOTE]

I was considering the Flatout pack for $12, when I saw JackNome had the Strategy First pack for $20. $8 more but I now own Bad Rats as well (and a lot of other crap) :roll:

[quote name='mjontrix']Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

It changed so many textures, and with it gone (Modding drama, think of it like Steam drama but 100x worse) the game has suddenly become a lot more bland. Doesn't help that the community is burned out (That mesh bug really turned off modders to Skyrim). The next DLC better be another Morrowind to bring back the modders...[/QUOTE]

Well it does have Solthsheim (please don't ask me to spell it correctly, it's a pain in the ass just even typing a reply on mobile)

And yes LOTS of drama in the ES modding community. Always has been even way back since the Morowind days.

Re: ME2 needing Origin

They merged the Bioware and Origin accounts a while back so now you technically need your Origin login (but not the client) to run the ME 1/2 and Dragon Age dlcs.

fucking Capcom. DMC4 has been 66% off all sale, and is back up to $20 now that the flash sale is over. Good way to make me not even consider buying it.

[quote name='strdr4']Mark of the Ninja is not going any lower than 50% is it... :([/QUOTE]
Not on Steam in this sale.

Whats the better deal?

Mount & Blade Collection $10
-Mount & Blade
-Mount & Blade Warband
-Mount & Blade Warband Napolian DLC
-Mount & Blade Fire & Steel

or is their one in particular that is really good while others are subpar? The things I been reading is M&B Warband is the best easily, it cost $4.99.

[quote name='Genocidal']fucking Capcom. DMC4 has been 66% off all sale, and is back up to $20 now that the flash sale is over. Good way to make me not even consider buying it.
.[/QUOTE]

It should still be on sale at GMG plus you can use the 30% coupon too.

[quote name='strdr4']Mark of the Ninja is not going any lower than 50% is it... :([/QUOTE]

Good game though. I bought it at the same price earlier and have enjoyed it. It's got some good legs for the price.

[quote name='Poor2More']Whats the better deal?

-Mount & Blade
-Mount & Blade Warband

or is their one in particular that is really good while others are subpar? The things I been reading is M&B Warband is the best easily, it cost $4.99.[/QUOTE]

Warband - is Mount & Blade, but improved and with multiplayer although I think there may be mods that are only available for the original M&B.
Napoleonic Wars - a multiplayer only expansion for Warband. So if you don't play multiplayer or don't buy Warband don't get it.
Fire & Steel - I haven't heard much about it. The only thing I have heard is that it is not as fun as Warband, but I have honestly no idea.

Although I see the pack for $8.74 so I would say the pack is better.

[quote name='Poor2More']Whats the better deal?

-Mount & Blade
-Mount & Blade Warband

or is their one in particular that is really good while others are subpar? The things I been reading is M&B Warband is the best easily, it cost $4.99.[/QUOTE]

Just get Warband for $5. Vanilla is the same thing just with less content (albeit more mods) and no multiplayer. Fire & Sword wasn't even made by the M&B team, it's basically a pay/outsourced mod and is pretty mediocre. Napoleonic DLC is multiplayer only and if you already have War of the Roses and Chivalry chances are you don't need a third option in that department.

well damn nvm I ran across a little gem "Hotline Miami" for $7.49 on steam on sale? anywhere cheaper? The reviews are fantastic (Critics and users), but Im sure you guys already know about this game.

[quote name='Mooby']Just get Warband for $5. Vanilla is the same thing just with less content (albeit more mods) and no multiplayer. Fire & Sword wasn't even made by the M&B team, it's basically a pay/outsourced mod and is pretty mediocre. Napoleonic DLC is multiplayer only and if you already have War of the Roses and Chivalry chances are you don't need a third option in that department.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is though I heard WarBand is better then both of those, I rather have a campaign, not a fan of that multiplayer.

[quote name='sunasun']OFFERS END IN5 DAYS 19:34:35
These are the last flash deals?
anyone else notice the new flash deals end in 5 days???

[/QUOTE]

Your page is glitching.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Not sure if you're being serious, but Hotline Miami was on sale for $5, a lot of times.[/QUOTE]

At this point I think they should lower the base price to $5. It's been on sale literally every time I checked..

It's also currently $4.99 on Amazon and activates on Steam.

[quote name='Motoki']It should still be on sale at GMG plus you can use the 30% coupon too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I ended up just getting it at GMG for $4.76 after using the 30% code.

[quote name='argyle']I was disappointed last year when I grabbed Divinity II & then realized it had no controller support. Yeah, yeah, some ppl would only play PC games w/ a mouse & keyboard, but the controller is how I prefer to play with rare exception. And since the game was ported to the 360, there's no reason that control option should be absent from the PC version.[/QUOTE]

The menu/inventory system is a pain with a controller, but programs that let you map keybinds to a controller work rather well with Divinity II for the actual gameplay. You aim the reticule in the center towards things to interact/loot, etc, so I just bound the mouse to the right analog stick.

It is a fun game - the first chapter alone is worth the price of admission. So many puzzles, hidden things, and places to explore in the broken valley.. I've replayed it several times and found new things every time. I've put almost 100 hours into the game and have yet to see probably half of the actual game.

On the downside, combat feels a bit wonky and has no weight to it, and the difficulty is never quite balanced. The game feels almost unfair when you start out, and gradually shifts to overly easy if you are one of those types that fully explore and do all the side quests.

Oh, and the soundtrack is amazing. I still to this day have one of the broken valley tracks stuck in my head, and that sort of thing rarely happens to me.

[quote name='asheskitty']for anyone considering dmc3... (for the record, the pc port of dmc4 has always been great.) dmc3+4 bundle $10 on flash sale

i have it both on ps2 and pc. Regarding the pc port...

It seems to run fine on win7-64bit. The pc port's performance was pretty bad back in the day. I just ran through the first mission and fraps reported constant 60 fps on my four year old phenom ii x3 720 be (@ 3.2 ghz) and gtx 260. Without modding, it is 3:4 with resolutions up to 1600x1200. It looks a bit sharper than the ps2 version (simply due to rendering at higher rez). Graphics and textures look the same as on ps2.

I stronly recommend that you have a directinput compatible controller (e.g. Rumblepad 2, f310/f510/f710), for this and any other games on pc that predated the xbox 360. If you do, it will work flawlessly.

You can use an xinput (360 controller, f310/f510/f710) controller but by default the sticks will be swapped. Simply adding a few lines to the ini fixed that. however lt and rt do not seem to work (not surprising, in xinput lt & rt are mapped to the positive and negative halves of a single axis -- not separate buttons like in directinput. This seems to render lt & rt unusable. I do recall some software for backward compatability for 360 controllers, but i've never tried it. Reportedly you can just map two of your buttons to keyboard keys as a workaround.[/quote]

260?!

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Not sure if you're being serious, but Hotline Miami was on sale for $5, a lot of times.[/QUOTE]

I was being serious : ), I just started following PC games closely since I now find myself playing PC more then my 360 (Mainly The Secret World & Guild Wars 2) Thanks whoever mentioned Amazon has it for $5 : )

[quote name='Poor2More']Funny thing is though I heard WarBand is better then both of those, I rather have a campaign, not a fan of that multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Warband includes the same single player as vanilla, just expanded. But you should know there isn't really any 'campaign' or focused story to Mount & Blade. It's basically just free roam, conquer cities, etc.

[quote name='Poor2More']well damn nvm I ran across a little gem "Hotline Miami" for $7.49 on steam on sale? anywhere cheaper? The reviews are fantastic (Critics and users), but Im sure you guys already know about this game.[/QUOTE]

It was $4.99 on Amazon for a while. It may still be. It's also an Editor's Choice, so if you have one of those $5.00 coupons coming in January, that'll drop it to $4.99 as well.

The Skyrim 2K texture pack is... okay. It's EXTREMELY incomplete though, and last I checked the creator wasn't doing much in the way of updates. The textures that are replaced are wonderfully done though, I do recommend it.

And just for reference, the 2K textures are only about 1.5GB, whereas WMC's complete texture pack for New Vegas is 7GB. That should tell you how incomplete the 2K pack is.

[quote name='chapnis']Never played any Civ games. Civ III worth getting for a dollar?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Obviously the graphics aren't current but it still looks good and the gameplay is fundamentally the same. Nice way to test if you'd like the franchise.

[quote name='chapnis']Never played any Civ games. Civ III worth getting for a dollar?[/QUOTE]

I would say it is the worst Civ, but still worth a dollar sure.

[quote name='Mooby']Yes. Obviously the graphics aren't current but it still looks good and the gameplay is fundamentally the same. Nice way to test if you'd like the franchise.[/QUOTE]

This is true, but if you like three, I'd recommend updating to IV as soon as possible. I believe it to be the best in the series, and I'm not alone.

'Worst' is relative, though. Arguably you could say the first was the worst as it was the birth of the franchise and doesn't have as many features as the later ones. Honestly there aren't many significant differences between Civ 3 and Civ 4(gameplay wise). Civ 5 I can't attest to but everything I've seen of it doesn't make me believe it's any better.

Saying 'worst Civ game' is like saying 'ugliest supermodel.'

[quote name='CKEStriker']really contemplating if i should get skyrim....will this be the cheapest?[/QUOTE]

i picked it up from black friday for $10 at the microsoft store(came with a steam key) and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Yeah, I've heard it's the worst one. But no point in spending 7.50 if I might not like it. Probably pick up Civ III for a dollar now and if I like it get IV/V a bit later on. Thanks for the input.

[quote name='Idiotekque']The Skyrim 2K texture pack is... okay. It's EXTREMELY incomplete though, and last I checked the creator wasn't doing much in the way of updates. The textures that are replaced are wonderfully done though, I do recommend it.

And just for reference, the 2K textures are only about 1.5GB, whereas WMC's complete texture pack for New Vegas is 7GB. That should tell you how incomplete the 2K pack is.[/QUOTE]

There's other ones you can get to fill in the gaps but yeah it's a whole process. Anybody who has modded ES games in the past should be used to that though.

There's a guide called STEP (Skyrim Total Enhancement Project) that tells you what texture Mods to install and in what order but get an older revision because the latest one removed that Skyrim rewhatsit pack.

[quote name='Idiotekque']The Skyrim 2K texture pack is... okay. It's EXTREMELY incomplete though, and last I checked the creator wasn't doing much in the way of updates. The textures that are replaced are wonderfully done though, I do recommend it.

And just for reference, the 2K textures are only about 1.5GB, whereas WMC's complete texture pack for New Vegas is 7GB. That should tell you how incomplete the 2K pack is.[/QUOTE]

Your talking about a different mod. The author says to install the 2K version on top of the official free HD texture pack from Bethesda to fill it out. The 2k version of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul weighs in at 5.6 gigs. Your confusing mods. 2k references the size of the texture, but there is also a mod that uses "2k" in name (several, actually).

EDIT: Link to what Motoki referenced above:
S.T.E.P. Project Wiki
S.T.E.P. at nexus

[quote name='Mooby']'Worst' is relative, though. Arguably you could say the first was the worst as it was the birth of the franchise and doesn't have as many features as the later ones. Honestly there aren't many significant differences between Civ 3 and Civ 4(gameplay wise). Civ 5 I can't attest to but everything I've seen of it doesn't make me believe it's any better.

Saying 'worst Civ game' is like saying 'ugliest supermodel.'[/QUOTE]

They have drastically changed the combat system for civ 5:

in civ 4 you could move all of your units onto one square next to an enemy city and have them attack at once in one giant stack. You only get one unit per hex(civ v uses hexes, not squares) and so you cant stack units any more. I like the combat in part 5 a lot.

Most of the strat games I play, even on the hardest difficulty, become really easy after you get a couple of cities and have really weak AI(like the total war series, or the romance of the 3 kingdoms series).

On the harder difficulties, in the civ games, the AI gets some huge boosts so that the game is in question every step of the way and every decision you make is critical. I can usually win on the king setting, but if i fall behind, it can be a really difficult task to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back