The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bob_793']is far cry 1 and 2 worth it? [/QUOTE]
I never played FC1. FC2 I enjoyed but a lot of people didn't. The biggest gripes seemed to be that roads had a checkpoint every six feet and each checkpoint would have 4-6 guys in it and would respawn the second you left its aggro radius. So 80% of the game was fighting your way past checkpoints. Oh, and fast travel was pretty limited so you spent a lot of time driving past checkpoints.

I usually enjoyed the combat so that wasn't a huge deal for me but some people complained of AI quirks like cover/stealth not working properly or one guys spotting you and every enemy in the camp knowing where you were.

On the plus side, I liked the weapons and, as I said, I liked the combat most of the time. Fire physics were a lot of fun. The scenery was great. Missions would have two ways of doing them: the way the "bad guys" you were working for wanted you to do them and then some alternate route your "allies" would want you to take. I thought it was worthwhile playing, anyway.

[Edit: If someone has a DOTA key or invite, I have a friend on another forum who would like one. No pressure of course but I know some people have found them to clutter up their inventories.]

[quote name='Syntax Error']I never played FC1. FC2 I enjoyed but a lot of people didn't. The biggest gripes seemed to be that roads had a checkpoint every six feet and each checkpoint would have 4-6 guys in it and would respawn the second you left its aggro radius. So 80% of the game was fighting your way past checkpoints. Oh, and fast travel was pretty limited so you spent a lot of time driving past checkpoints.

I usually enjoyed the combat so that wasn't a huge deal for me but some people complained of AI quirks like cover/stealth not working properly or one guys spotting you and every enemy in the camp knowing where you were.

On the plus side, I liked the weapons and, as I said, I liked the combat most of the time. Fire physics were a lot of fun. The scenery was great. Missions would have two ways of doing them: the way the "bad guys" you were working for wanted you to do them and then some alternate route your "allies" would want you to take. I thought it was worthwhile playing, anyway.

[Edit: If someone has a DOTA key or invite, I have a friend on another forum who would like one. No pressure of course but I know some people have found them to clutter up their inventories.][/QUOTE]
Thx I guess for 5$ I can let them sit in my inventory until l I get around to playing them.
"shut up and take my dota keys!" to lazy to show off my ms paint skillz and edit the meme. :p

[quote name='Syntax Error']I never played FC1. FC2 I enjoyed but a lot of people didn't. The biggest gripes seemed to be that roads had a checkpoint every six feet and each checkpoint would have 4-6 guys in it and would respawn the second you left its aggro radius. So 80% of the game was fighting your way past checkpoints. Oh, and fast travel was pretty limited so you spent a lot of time driving past checkpoints.

On the plus side, I liked the weapons and, as I said, I liked the combat most of the time. Fire physics were a lot of fun. The scenery was great. Missions would have two ways of doing them: the way the "bad guys" you were working for wanted you to do them and then some alternate route your "allies" would want you to take. I thought it was worthwhile playing, anyway.[/QUOTE]

You can't forget the 2, or was it 3?, types of side missions. Nothing is fun unless you do it over and over again.

Other than those two things the game was ok. I only spend 3 hours in it, but wasted about 20-30 on the editor. And I say wasted because who the hell plays that multiplayer?

Far Cry 1 has some pretty shitty savepoints, I got bored with it. Far Cry 2 looks good, only played it for a few minutes.

There's a mod for FC2 that increases respawn times and lowers everyone's health (including player). Enjoyed the game for a while but wasn't compelled to finish.

never played the original but far cry 2 was awful. Picked up Far Cry 3 and I'm having a good bit of fun with it

[quote name='jefexp']Am i blind or something? Bout to purchase Far Cry 3 on amazon but I cannot see the student prime discount?[/QUOTE]
I believe you have to use this promo code at the checkout. FC3AMZNS and if you have amazon prime it is supposed to take $10 off. Though I read it doesn't work with the deluxe edition. Can't confirm that though.

[quote name='kjs7']never played the original but far cry 2 was awful. Picked up Far Cry 3 and I'm having a good bit of fun with it[/QUOTE]

Yep my thoughts exactly, Far Cry 2 was alright for an hour then just got bored. I had low expectations for Far Cry 3, then saw the stellar reviews. Far Cry 3 is leagues better then the previous games in the franchise.

I actually sold my Far Cry 3 (360), and got $37 credit for it at bestbuy. My new gaming PC comes in tomorrow, and will be rebuying it, I heard the PC version is much better visually and performance wise compared to consoles.

[quote name='TheKbob']Has Serious Sam 3 BFE ever been $5?[/QUOTE]

Amazon had a whole pack with every Serious Sam game and all dlc for $10 recently.

[quote name='Terlan']I believe you have to use this promo code at the checkout. FC3AMZNS and if you have amazon prime it is supposed to take $10 off. Though I read it doesn't work with the deluxe edition. Can't confirm that though.[/QUOTE]

Oh thanks, I'll try that out.

Anno 2070? Does it get really addictive? Is there a semi sand box mode that gets addictive? I could see managing an entire bustling island to be pretty fun.
How much is left out if you play in offline mode? Is UBI laying off the online single player stuff?

any chance the whole fallout franchise will go on sale? i know the old ones have a 66% off already but being a cheapass i want to wait and see if they have a 75% off :D

[quote name='Terlan']I believe you have to use this promo code at the checkout. FC3AMZNS and if you have amazon prime it is supposed to take $10 off. Though I read it doesn't work with the deluxe edition. Can't confirm that though.[/QUOTE]
Believe you need a "Student Prime" account. Tried it with my standard Prime account out of curiosity and got denied.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Believe you need a "Student Prime" account. Tried it with my standard Prime account out of curiosity and got denied.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed that it works with this method (Since I have student prime). I don't even know why i'm still debating on purchasing it through steam...just to have it in my library, and yes I know that you can add non steam games lol.

[quote name='carl7117']any chance the whole fallout franchise will go on sale? i know the old ones have a 66% off already but being a cheapass i want to wait and see if they have a 75% off :D[/QUOTE]
There'sa good chance that it will be NO for 1 and 2
Interplay owns the rights to sell them until 366 days from now.
Fallout 3 and NV should go on sale if they havent already.

Yeah, there's no way that Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics get discounted any lower than 66% off.

Not until next year's Holiday sale, that is. Then you can expect a 90% discount.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't say that there's "No Way". Crazy things happen sometimes. But I would certainly bet against it.

[quote name='bob_793']is far cry 1 and 2 worth it?[/QUOTE]
Far Cry 2 is very worth it. I wrote this on the Amazon thread awhile ago.

"It gets way more flak than it deserves. I read all those complaints too and so many of them are just petty nonsense. A big complaint was having to heal yourself (pull a bullet of your leg, shrapnel, etc) mid-battle when you hit critical health, but I think it's a really neat feature that keeps you alive. Another complaint was having to pop malaria pills every once in awhile, and I can tell you that it's once in a pretty long amount of time and takes a whopping 4 seconds.

The only complaints I do understand are (like you said) the respawning enemy checkpoints. Those can be annoying on high difficulties, because on high difficulty, enemies are DANGEROUS. That said, realistically I do think enemies would send new forces out to wiped out checkpoints. As quickly as FC2 does? Probably not, but oh well. I play this game when I'm up for a serious challenge (I play on Notorious difficulty), meaning a few bullets can take me down, while the same goes for my enemies. It's ing hard, but when I'm in the mood for a hard, fulfilling game with a crazy level of immersion, It's awesome.

As for missions repeating... I don't know. I suppose the game can get repetitive, but what game doesn't?

All in all, I think it's an amazing buy for the price ($2.50 or $1.50). When I was in a turret in the back of a truck, laying down fire through the trees and suddenly noticed that I was shooting massive limbs off the trees and clearing a shooting lane, I was sold. There's a lot of work put into that game, and it shows.

(Oh, and the multiplayer servers are still going strong. Can be good fun, and there's a level editor program packed with the game. SO many custom levels online, you wouldn't believe it.)"

[quote name='Kaltic']... who the hell plays that multiplayer?[/QUOTE]
Last time I played online, there were a lot of people playing, and a lot of dedicated servers. The map making community seems to be pretty damn active and the stuff they create is pretty impressive.

Also, be sure to grab these two mods before you start playing. The game is much better with both of them.

Realism Mod
Graphics Mod

[quote name='Poor2More']Yep my thoughts exactly, Far Cry 2 was alright for an hour then just got bored. I had low expectations for Far Cry 3, then saw the stellar reviews. Far Cry 3 is leagues better then the previous games in the franchise.

I actually sold my Far Cry 3 (360), and got $37 credit for it at bestbuy. My new gaming PC comes in tomorrow, and will be rebuying it, I heard the PC version is much better visually and performance wise compared to consoles.[/QUOTE]

Well... Yes it is. UBI decided to make FC3 with a bit of a different view of things, an older view actually. That is to say making the game engine(s) be able to perform at system levels .vs. focus on consoles.

A friend of my brothers (my bro works for Amazon as a software engineer as am I) who is a game coder (mainstream) told him the industry is going back to those days basically. The deal is this. The console market is having happen to it what happened to PC Games years ago, a sort of market saturation BUT the hardware is stagnant. No matter HOW good a PS/4 or new XBox cares to be they are essentially bound by the output device, that Hi-Def TV. PC's on the other hand have fallen HUGE in price as have the monitor costs which will readily do basically double the resolution of an HD TV. Low end current video cards eat whats in consoles and even whats coming in consoles. Many TV's are perfectly capable of much higher resolutions but console manufacturers are too dense to code or provide the "total support" (hardware/software) to make it a reality. They stay in control in other words .vs. letting those that develop the games drive direction (aka: control).

Its that sorta "You work for us" not "we work for you" reality while of course they say something completely reverse.

Like eBay does. They will say they work for the sellers when in reality they control sellers and they actually work for the buyers as without buyers there are no sellers. As slight example its why if you sell something you can get a negative and adhere to detailed seller ratings (DSR's) and they may can your ability to sell. Yet buyers can say any number of things, not pay, on and on yet they are still there. You cant leave them a bad rating or bad DBR (detailed buyer rating) for example.

Amazon, similar. They dont allow more than 20% of sales to be via third parties. The only exceptions are direct manufacturer or enterprise retailers.

Reason, once things get towards the 25% zone those third party sellers can start saying, "we want" as 25% is 1/4 site revenues.

Anyways...

Thus (as with the old PC days) Eye Candy and raw cpu horsepower are being looked at as the "whats our next step" yet again. JUst as with the original XB and PS/2 had PC Games ported over and often dumbed down apparently from what he was told we are going to see it all over again and a larger push unto Tablets which is after all, the future. Home PC's, console systems will give way to Tablets eventually especially as more gaming gets streamed in numerous fascinating ways of modular pre-fetch and execution which is already in the works.

Again... I am just the messenger, tis' what I have been told.

Well I used up all my steam wallet and there's 6 days left..... This isnt going to end well.
Thanks everyone on the far cry recommendations I picked them up and they will sit in my inventory until I play them (maybe never?)
To the guy above me I was told the world was going to end 8 days ago :p

FC1 and FC2 are certainly worth the $3 bucks each.

Yes... they can be a bit repetitive and might upset those comparing them with newer free-roaming FPS games.

The only real beef I had with FC2 is it being based in rather dull terrain.

FC1 in its release day was considered a cutting edge title. By todays games, no. But its a pretty fun romp especially considering it was released coming up on 9 years ago and still fairs well and is fun to play.

[quote name='walkonshadows']I'm waiting til the last day of the GOG sale (Jan 3rd) to pick it up in case it drops further. wishlisted for now.[/QUOTE]

^_^ Nod. It's been on my wishlist for a while. I just resisted picking it up at $2.39 a few times since it I like my old games complete (w/expansions).

[quote name='jefexp']Confirmed that it works with this method (Since I have student prime). I don't even know why i'm still debating on purchasing it through steam...just to have it in my library, and yes I know that you can add non steam games lol.[/QUOTE]
Debating the same thing, I just prefer to have all my digital downloads in the same place. Not that I don't by non-steam games here and there I just try to minimize it.

[quote name='paulcalypse']Ok Mark of the Ninja is tempting me again. It's that or either the Mount and Blade pack. One or the other. Two days to decide.[/QUOTE]
Between the two I say the mount and blade pack. As much as I liked Mark of Ninja, I have gotten a lot more time out of the mount and blade games.

[quote name='paulcalypse']Ok Mark of the Ninja is tempting me again. It's that or either the Mount and Blade pack. One or the other. Two days to decide.[/QUOTE]
I love mount and blade.
I picked up just warband and the expansion.
Didnt want or need the other 2.
Warband is better in every way to the original
Fire and Stone is Warband with 1 shot 1 kill guns
Also N wars is multiplier only.
Its one of those games were when you finally turn it off and go to bed your alarm goes off right when you close your eyes to get some sleep.

Farcry 2 is pretty terrible, but for 3$ it might be worth it.

Its a lot of missed opportunities, specifically on the no wildlife, no stealth at all.

Its a very pretty game, but it falls very short on substance, especially if youve played any current games recently.

Soo since Civ 5 is 75% again worth it to upgrade to the GOTY? Extra DLCs worth the price? and I would still need to pick up Korea I think. I just picked up G&K from GMG and am having a blast can't stop playing it.

[quote name='jefexp']Confirmed that it works with this method (Since I have student prime). I don't even know why i'm still debating on purchasing it through steam...just to have it in my library, and yes I know that you can add non steam games lol.[/QUOTE]

doesent FarCry 3 activate via steam? or does it have terrible ubisoft DRM?

nvm I guess its not a Steamworks title

[quote name='galindo62']Farcry 2 is pretty terrible, but for 3$ it might be worth it.

Its a lot of missed opportunities, specifically on the no wildlife, no stealth at all.

Its a very pretty game, but it falls very short on substance, especially if youve played any current games recently.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure the realism mod fixes the stealth quite a bit.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Far Cry 2 is very worth it. I wrote this on the Amazon thread awhile ago.

"It gets way more flak than it deserves. I read all those complaints too and so many of them are just petty nonsense. A big complaint was having to heal yourself (pull a bullet of your leg, shrapnel, etc) mid-battle when you hit critical health, but I think it's a really neat feature that keeps you alive.[/quote]
Agreed.

Another complaint was having to pop malaria pills every once in awhile, and I can tell you that it's once in a pretty long amount of time and takes a whopping 4 seconds.
I also never had a problem w/ the malaria component/mechanic, either.
Then again, I never really had a problem w/ the spirit-meter in NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, either. ;)

The only complaints I do understand are (like you said) the respawning enemy checkpoints. Those can be annoying on high difficulties, because on high difficulty, enemies are DANGEROUS. That said, realistically I do think enemies would send new forces out to wiped out checkpoints. As quickly as FC2 does? Probably not, but oh well. I play this game when I'm up for a serious challenge (I play on Notorious difficulty), meaning a few bullets can take me down, while the same goes for my enemies. It's ing hard, but when I'm in the mood for a hard, fulfilling game with a crazy level of immersion, It's awesome.

As for missions repeating... I don't know. I suppose the game can get repetitive, but what game doesn't?
I thought a lot of the side missions of "wiping out safe-houses" & "wiping out outposts" often felt like cut & paste jobs w/ little variation to them. THIS was one of my biggest FC2 complaints - i.e. exactly how I felt about AC1 w/ the way it did side-questing.

FC2 was in a poor state, when I bought it (i.e. not too long after its original release). It was buggy-as-hell out-the-box w/ some broken quests (think like Boiling Point: Road To Hell) and poor performance on my old rig - and took Patch 1.03 to overhaul most of those concerns I had w/ the game. Patch 1.03 fixed a lot of the "Save corruption" and "broken quest" issues, BTW.

Michele at Lumber Yard; and Fresh Fish Girl quest - both of those quests were broken and I'd finish the quest, but when I got them back to Mike's, the game wouldn't advance and the red-marker stayed at the quest I finished! And replayed & reloaded all kinds of saves multiple times - and still couldn't finish those quests to advance the game.

Though, I will say this - yes, Main Quest stuff was very good.

All in all, I think it's an amazing buy for the price ($2.50 or $1.50). When I was in a turret in the back of a truck, laying down fire through the trees and suddenly noticed that I was shooting massive limbs off the trees and clearing a shooting lane, I was sold. There's a lot of work put into that game, and it shows.
FC1 and FC2 are absolute steals at those prices.

(Oh, and the multiplayer servers are still going strong. Can be good fun, and there's a level editor program packed with the game. SO many custom levels online, you wouldn't believe it.)"
Funny - I never touched the MP.

Last time I played online, there were a lot of people playing, and a lot of dedicated servers. The map making community seems to be pretty damn active and the stuff they create is pretty impressive.

Also, be sure to grab these two mods before you start playing. The game is much better with both of them.

Realism Mod
Graphics Mod
Thanks for ALL of that info. :D

[quote name='galindo62']Farcry 2 is pretty terrible, but for 3$ it might be worth it.

Its a very pretty game, but it falls very short on substance, especially if youve played any current games recently.[/QUOTE]
There is wildlife; I remember seeing Zebras, antelope, and bison for example. No lions, though.

[quote name='Poor2More']Yep my thoughts exactly, Far Cry 2 was alright for an hour then just got bored.
[/QUOTE]
In my experiance, I wasn't that into it at the beginning, but it got way more fun after a couple of hours when I understood how everything worked.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Far Cry 2 was $1.49 on Amazon during the publisher coupon promotion, by the way. Otherwise it's really not going any lower than $2.50.[/QUOTE]

Can't go wrong w/ either of those prices for that.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']Is it really missing the Korea expansion? I guess I should buy it. Thanks![/QUOTE]

The Civ 5 GOTY is missing two DLCs - the Korea DLC and the Ancient Wonders DLC. 2K was thoughtful enough to make a bundle of the two for completists:

(steam URL)/sub/11092/

You save a few cents off buying them individually.

(Sorry seems I can't post links)

About 30 minutes left and I haven't voted yet. Not surprising because I already own all 3 choices.

Since it obviously doesn't matter to me, I throw it out to you guys. First person to tell what to vote for shall get their wish.

[quote name='Dreamweaver7']The Civ 5 GOTY is missing two DLCs - the Korea DLC and the Ancient Wonders DLC. 2K was thoughtful enough to make a bundle of the two for completists:

(steam URL)/sub/11092/

You save a few cents off buying them individually.

(Sorry seems I can't post links)[/QUOTE]

Looks like the link was posted on the last page. Here it is again: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/11092/

[quote name='Dreamweaver7']The Civ 5 GOTY is missing two DLCs - the Korea DLC and the Ancient Wonders DLC. 2K was thoughtful enough to make a bundle of the two for completists:[/QUOTE]

You know, if 2k was really thoughtful, they would have included that with the GOTY.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The End']About 30 minutes left and I haven't voted yet. Not surprising because I already own all 3 choices.

Since it obviously doesn't matter to me, I throw it out to you guys. First person to tell what to vote for shall get their wish.[/QUOTE]

Vote for Kingdoms of Amalur!

Or Quake would be fine ;)

[quote name='sunghost']Vote for Kingdoms of Amalur!

Or Quake would be fine ;)
[/QUOTE]

You only get one choice. Kingdoms of Amalur it is then.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Binding of isaac + wrath of the lamb
6L28H-BY037-5WX0Z
legend of grimrock
6V3E7-ZI3IX-88R3H
[/QUOTE]

Smashing good show, ol' chap.

Actually, I already own them both. But with a drop like that, I figure that you deserve to get thanked by somebody. And it doesn't look like the lurkers who grabbed them are going to do it.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Binding of isaac + wrath of the lamb
6L28H-BY037-5WX0Z
legend of grimrock
6V3E7-ZI3IX-88R3H
[/QUOTE]

i'll thank you too
those are two mighty fine games
so
thank you

Caved and bought Far Cry 3 on amazon. That extra 10 for it to just log my hours on steam isn't worth it lol and that money could be used on another potential buy.

Wasn't The Secret World one of the Flash Deals or Featured Deals during the summer sale ? Been wanting to pick it up now that the Sub fee is gone but I would rather pick it up on Steam instead of through Amazon next month.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Wasn't The Secret World one of the Flash Deals or Featured Deals during the summer sale ? Been wanting to pick it up now that the Sub fee is gone but I would rather pick it up on Steam instead of through Amazon next month.[/QUOTE]

In before someone says you don't need it on Steam bla bla bla

But I feel the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back