The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']I don't get it though. It's a third person FPS? He's just... like a cop that is on the run right? Or is it the story that's so awesome? And does it hold up to the time test (could I start playing 1 today and not be fully aware the game is 10+ years old?)?[/QUOTE]

It's a third person shooter. What interested me with the game was the story and how it was presented (that film noire style) and back then the "bullet-time" was pretty cool. It probably will not pass the test of time and the first game will probably seem comedic to someone used to modern games (the movements are pretty stiff, textures, character models, etc). I know I would enjoy playing them again for the nostalgia.

[quote name='XeRoFuN']It's a third person shooter. What interested me with the game was the story and how it was presented (that film noire style) and back then the "bullet-time" was pretty cool. It probably will not pass the test of time and the first game will probably seem comedic to someone used to modern games (the movements are pretty stiff, textures, character models, etc). I know I would enjoy playing them again for the nostalgia.[/QUOTE]

I love film noire too, not to mention hard-boiled detective stories. I remember playing Max Payne 1 & 2 when they first came out and was blown away. Great games. Heck, I still play MP1 on my Nexus 7 from time to time.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']I don't get it though. It's a third person FPS? He's just... like a cop that is on the run right? Or is it the story that's so awesome? And does it hold up to the time test (could I start playing 1 today and not be fully aware the game is 10+ years old?)?[/QUOTE]

I actually just got finished a couple weeks ago playing through both 1 & 2. I had never played them before, and had heard such great things about them. For the time it was a pretty unique game but you wont really find anything new or unique with them now as far as gameplay goes. I found the story in the first one pretty mediocre and cliche. I actually enjoyed the second much more.
To me it's the character of Max and his narratives that I enjoy the most and I can't wait to play the third one.

[quote name='Lindor']I love film noire too, not to mention hard-boiled detective stories. I remember playing Max Payne 1 & 2 when they first came out and was blown away. Great games. Heck, I still play MP1 on my Nexus 7 from time to time.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='vince_carter']max payne 1 and 2 are worth playing for the awesome narratives alone

maxpayne_inacomputergame.jpg
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']I actually just got finished a couple weeks ago playing through both 1 & 2. I had never played them before, and had heard such great things about them. For the time it was a pretty unique game but you wont really find anything new or unique with them now as far as gameplay goes. I found the story in the first one pretty mediocre and cliche. I actually enjoyed the second much more.
To me it's the character of Max and his narratives that I enjoy the most and I can't wait to play the third one.[/QUOTE]

So there you have it, IkedaTeramusa. Gotta give Max Payne a second shot if you haven't already. And for being only $3.74 for the first two in the series, you can't lose.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']That money is gone, man. I had to buy another lambo to make a color coordinated pair, and you can't just buy a lambo and not buy an eastern european babe to doll up the passenger seat.[/QUOTE]

Dead weight. Remove the passenger seat too. ^_~

I bought Shogun 2 ad FOTS during the last sale and I'm now looking at the Total War games on sale. Could anyone recommend me a game from that list? Is any of the DLC worth it?

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']That money is gone, man. I had to buy another lambo to make a color coordinated pair, and you can't just buy a lambo and not buy an eastern european babe to doll up the passenger seat.[/QUOTE]

He speaks the truth. :)

[quote name='bloodling']I bought Shogun 2 ad FOTS during the last sale and I'm now looking at the Total War games on sale. Could anyone recommend me a game from that list? Is any of the DLC worth it?[/QUOTE]

1. Empire
1. Napoleon
2. Rome
3. Medieval II

Empire and Napoleon are practically identical.

Alright, banks are closed and I'm left with cash, needing PayPal to make a purchase. Anyone wanna help me out with $10 PayPal and I'll pay you back tomorrow when I can deposit some money?

Senks Sbiroz!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cranky2']1. Empire
1. Napoleon
2. Rome
3. Medieval II

Empire and Napoleon are practically identical.[/QUOTE]

Rome 2 is the next total war game they are releasing if you want to hold off on the first one.

[quote name='cranky2']1. Empire
1. Napoleon
2. Rome
3. Medieval II

Empire and Napoleon are practically identical.[/QUOTE]

Empire and Napoleon are the newest. Napoleon is considered by many to fix most of the bugs in empire.

Trying to decide if I really want Max Payne 3 or if I'm just deal-starved (haven't played the first 2 either). That $5 coupon over at Amazon is making it more enticing too...

[quote name='bloodling']I bought Shogun 2 ad FOTS during the last sale and I'm now looking at the Total War games on sale. Could anyone recommend me a game from that list? Is any of the DLC worth it?[/QUOTE]
I would wait for Rome II. Shogun 2 is IMO the best game from TW series, so if you enjoy Japanese setting, just play it more. Especially, if you've got Rise and Fall of the Samurai DLCs.

[quote name='Severose']Alright, banks are closed and I'm left with cash, needing PayPal to make a purchase. Anyone wanna help me out with $10 PayPal and I'll pay you back tomorrow when I can deposit some money?[/QUOTE]

I would but I've already discussed why my PP isn't able to be used at all. Sorry :(

I know someone will help out tho.

[quote name='XeRoFuN']So there you have it, IkedaTeramusa. Gotta give Max Payne a second shot if you haven't already. And for being only $3.74 for the first two in the series, you can't lose.[/QUOTE]

all of you left out the constant need to save and load on purpose, didn't you? :roll:

but 3 is an amazing game if violence is your thing.

[quote name='Severose']Alright, banks are closed and I'm left with cash, needing PayPal to make a purchase. Anyone wanna help me out with $10 PayPal and I'll pay you back tomorrow when I can deposit some money?[/QUOTE]

i can help you out bruh, pm me your paypal

I haven't played it in a long time. I played it soon after it came out, actually. I will say I finished it and immediately started a second play-through--as in the credits ended and I started the new game. The story, the atmosphere, it was a great gaming experience.

I'm considering getting Max Payne 3 from Amazon as well but I haven't played the first two. I might pick up Rage even though I beat it on 360 already. I kind of feel like playing it again.

So far the only game that hasn't gone on sale that I really want to pick up is Clash of Heroes

[quote name='derkduck']Thinking about picking up Rage for $4.99 worth it?[/QUOTE]

The graphics are great, the gameplay is a bit hit-or-miss depending on your tastes. Be warned that the game is more than 20gb.

It's like playing the Matrix, really. In fact, one of the most popular mods for it turned it into the mansion hallways from Matrix Reloaded.

It's a third person shooter with slow motion mechanics that allows you to dodge bullets and slow down time. The story is about a New York cop who walks in as his wife and baby are being murdered by drug addicts. This leads him to join the DEA where he stumbles across a conspiracy, and goes on a bloody warpath of revenge.

That's the first game. The second one isn't quite as awesome in story, but is even more awesome in gameplay.

[quote name='zillionandnine']Trying to decide if I really want Max Payne 3 or if I'm just deal-starved (haven't played the first 2 either).[/QUOTE]
Haha... I'm going through the same crisis with Risen 2 at GG. The "It'll be backlogged" part of my brain is fighting with the "Seven dollars! Deal!" part of my brain.

It'd probably be easier to just start smoking crack or something for my fixes. No one backlogs crack.

Probably going to pass on MP3. Would run horribly on my system (yes my system is even older than asheskitty's) and... it doesn't really look that appealing in the first place. $10 is a great price but if it's routinely $15 now I'm sure it'll be that or cheaper in future sales. No rush.

[quote name='Motoki']Oh yes you are. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh pshaw, no doom rails here, I don't even have coconut queen!

*needle scratch*

[quote name='melvinmelon123']How is Anna? I'm interested in it for a being a horror game, but the trailer didn't really do much for me.[/QUOTE]

Giant Bomb had it in their top three worst, or was it most disappointing, games of 2012 if their opinion is worth anything to you.

[quote name='Syntax Error']

It'd probably be easier to just start smoking crack or something for my fixes. No one backlogs crack.[/QUOTE]

Priceless... That is sig worthy...

I finally have a nice gaming rig and my steam library went from 4 to 25ish. I thought there were some nice deals especially if you are newer to steam.

[quote name='Broken Cage']It's like playing the Matrix, really. In fact, one of the most popular mods for it turned it into the mansion hallways from Matrix Reloaded.

It's a third person shooter with slow motion mechanics that allows you to dodge bullets and slow down time. The story is about a New York cop who walks in as his wife and baby are being murdered by drug addicts. This leads him to join the DEA where he stumbles across a conspiracy, and goes on a bloody warpath of revenge.

That's the first game. The second one isn't quite as awesome in story, but is even more awesome in gameplay.[/QUOTE]

It's the godfather of bullet-time! I played the Kung Fu mod for MP1 but I can't remember if it was any good or not. MP2 is on the shelf...

Port Royale 3 is on sale at Green Man Gaming. With the 30% off code it would bring it to $7 and the individual DLC to like $1.05 -- so basically you get the full package for the same price the base game was on Steam a few day ago (and yes it's Steamworks).

[quote name='dfg']It's the godfather of bullet-time! I played the Kung Fu mod for MP1 but I can't remember if it was any good or not. MP2 is on the shelf...[/QUOTE]

The Kung Fu mod was amazing. There was also a mod that let you dual wield every gun in the game, so you could rock two AA-12 style shotguns and just mow everyone down.

MP2 had a mod where some guy changed nothing but the bullet time, but when you'd go into bullet time Crystal Method or Type O Negative would play, and the screen would go a sepia tone. I used to love going into bullet time just to hear Name of the Game by Crystal Method.

[quote name='dfg']Also, happy birthday to I'm guessing 98% of age-verification system users![/QUOTE]

Ha! I get it!

Funny thing is that it really is my buddy's birthday today. Got another 6 months till mine.

[quote name='Arben']Oh pshaw, no doom rails here, I don't even have coconut queen!

*needle scratch*[/QUOTE]

...motoki, you generous monster.

[quote name='Mooby']Port Royale 3 is on sale at Green Man Gaming. With the 30% off code it would bring it to $7 and the individual DLC to like $1.05 -- so basically you get the full package for the same price the base game was on Steam a few day ago (and yes it's Steamworks).[/QUOTE]

And no it doesn't have crappy 3rd party DRM, contrary to what some guy in the Steam forum who doesn't even own it wrote about it.

[quote name='Mooby']Port Royale 3 is on sale at Green Man Gaming. With the 30% off code it would bring it to $7 and the individual DLC to like $1.05 -- so basically you get the full package for the same price the base game was on Steam a few day ago (and yes it's Steamworks).[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Any opinions on how it plays?

[quote name='zillionandnine']Well, happy birthday and happy new year to you!

Love your sig, btw. Hilarious.[/QUOTE]
It's just a ripoff of his Origin Sig which I actually saved, lol.
picture.php

[quote name='sunasun']It's just a ripoff of his Origin Sig which I actually saved, lol.
picture.php
[/QUOTE]

Ripping off a meme is impossibru. ;)

[quote name='sunasun']It's just a ripoff of his Origin Sig which I actually saved, lol.
picture.php
[/QUOTE]

Except the GG one needs a hand reaching in to try to take some of the games back after he already left with them...

[quote name='Correlli']Interesting. Any opinions on how it plays?[/QUOTE]

Never played myself, although from what I hear there aren't many improvements over Port Royale 2 -- just graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back