The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have opinions on the Daedalic or Pendulo bundles as a whole? Looking at maybe getting one of them, disappointed that the first Edna and Harvey game isn't on steam though. Although I do have other adventure games to play first such as Book of Unwritten Tales so this is more of a longterm question I suppose.

[quote name='MysterD']You mean Recettear did NOT win...?[/QUOTE]

I guess Grimrock is the most popular. Recettear was the most deserving, but as always.. people are idiots. I think current/very recent indie bundle games should be banned from the community choice deals

Man, I want Blood Bowl, but I'm not sure I want to drop $5 on a game that I don't know how long I'll play for or even like for that matter.

I can not believe Grimrock won, it has been a daily and flash sale already and you can get it in the freaking humble bundle lol

I was hoping Krater would win so that others would then get it and be able to enjoy it. I got it at $4.99 and haven't regretted it. Underrated game.

Also was flip flopping about Fallen Enchantress as I'm real interested in it, but couldn't do it for $20. Expecting it will be under $10 come Summer Sale, and I've got a bunch of stuff over the past two months so I don't have a problem waiting...

[quote name='MysterD']That's dark as hell, as well...
Damn....
{SMH}

EDIT 1:

That's pretty messed-up, too.

EDIT 2:
For those wondering the ending I received in my 1st (and only) playthrough so far...
Shot away from the mirror; and dropped the gun.
[/QUOTE]

WARNING -- this are real spoiler tags
I'm surprised at you! I explored all the choices while playing through. I simply didn't get to another save point after exploring choices. I replayed chapters when needed.
I loved how indecision was a choice too. When confronting the General, there are three choices, kill him, kill yourself, or do nothing. There were two outcomes. This also happens when asked to kill the strung up looter or army deserter.

[quote name='Mooby']Don't forget Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacer. Or is that 'simbin?' I have no idea what that even means.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, you're not 1337 enough. ^_~

[quote name='MysterD']Ridge Racer: Unbounded's base game, DLC's, and Complete Pack were on sale at 66% off, as well.
I think it was a Flash Sale.[/QUOTE]

It was a flash sale.

[quote name='Mooby']Ah. As you can tell I'm not a big fan of racing games.

Fake/real edit: Pretty sure one of the Dirt games was a flash yesterday or the day before. I know because I curse out loud whenever a racing game takes a featured sale spot over Alpha Protocol or the neglected Deathspank games... or anything that isn't a racing game.[/QUOTE]

Negative. Only Dirt Showdown went up for 66% ($17) community choice and lost. Proof: KaOTiK's AT thread.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I forgot Ridge Racer went on sale because the price pissed me off lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled at the price, but the demo (and reviews) sold me. It is a reboot that seems to be inspired by Burnout and Split/Second. Surprisingly it's only 1.5 GB. I think this is because all courses are based on a fixed set of city tiles laid out in a grid. They give you the track layout editor to play with.

[quote name='Motoki']Only a CAG would people get outraged over the 9% difference between 66 and 75 percents. ;)[/QUOTE]

I was. However, I have been feigning for a new racer, and the price point/demo sold me. Also there have been no good sales on racers recently. MFS:MW (2012) has only hit $20 but has some bad performance issues. F1 2012/2011/2010/Race Stars haven't been better than 50%, and I'm not quite $25 desperate for a new racer.

Every time I think of racing games somehow I think of Asheskitty now.

I swear of all my Steam friends you probably own the most. Well maybe AnarchyOblivion but that's kind of a given.

[quote name='sunghost']I guess Grimrock is the most popular. Recettear was the most deserving, but as always.. people are idiots. I think current/very recent indie bundle games should be banned from the community choice deals[/QUOTE]

Since they want to run them so badly, Steam should just make some additional indie sales slots. I'm also really wonder how the $70 indie pack worked out for them.

[quote name='JoeFlacco4God']I was hoping Krater would win so that others would then get it and be able to enjoy it. I got it at $4.99 and haven't regretted it. Underrated game.

Also was flip flopping about Fallen Enchantress as I'm real interested in it, but couldn't do it for $20. Expecting it will be under $10 come Summer Sale, and I've got a bunch of stuff over the past two months so I don't have a problem waiting...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Krater's cool. It just...can be quite tough, at times.
Love the soundtrack, though.

EDIT:
[quote name='KaOTiK']I can not believe Grimrock won, it has been a daily and flash sale already and you can get it in the freaking humble bundle lol[/QUOTE]

I already own Grimrock on GOG.
Pretty good game, BTW.

[quote name='Motoki']Every time I think of racing games somehow I think of Asheskitty now.

I swear of all my Steam friends you probably own the most. Well maybe AnarchyOblivion but that's kind of a given.[/QUOTE]

@Motoki
But, Asheskitty doesn't have Test Drive Unlimited 2 on Steam... ;)

@Ashes
Do you have TDU2 outside of Steam?
Also, how's Ridge Racer Unbounded? Any thoughts on it yet?

Just got back from Gamestop; traded in Halo 3, Orange Box, and CoD 4 MW1 (all Xbox) for $30 worth of credit [via the special promo going on; trade in 3 games worth over $2 each, get a free $10 credit]. $40 worth of STEAM Wallet for $10; I'll take it :D

Probably going to buy Far Cry 3 or just wait for Dragonborn :)

**EDIT**
Whoohoo! 10,000th post!

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Can anybody recommend Kung Fu strike? Or is that a game that shows up in bundles frequently?[/QUOTE]

It only showed up in one indie bundle until now... Its a fun game,the combat is smooth, but it gets quite repetitive.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']Just got back from Gamestop; traded in Halo 3, Orange Box, and CoD 4 MW1 (all Xbox) for $30 worth of credit [via the special promo going on; trade in 3 games worth over $2 each, get a free $10 credit]. $40 worth of STEAM Wallet for $10; I'll take it :D

Probably going to buy Far Cry 3 or just wait for Dragonborn :)[/QUOTE]

Apparently, there are some European sites listing 1/16 or 1/18 as the release date for Dragonborn but no official word yet.

I really love the idea of getting a little piece of Morrowind (sort of) back so I'll probably cave and buy it right away, or at least give it a week and see if GMG gets it up with a voucher deal.

[quote name='imac2much']As Motoki stated, To The Moon is not an RPG (even though it looks like it was made with RPG Maker), and is closer to a pixel hunt with a heavy story focus. I tend to like games that focus on story even at the detriment of gameplay (I loved 999/Virtue's Last Reward and TWD this year), though with a few exceptions of course (looking at you, Heavy Rain). I guess I should clarify that I like games that focus on GOOD story :)[/QUOTE]How about Spec Ops the Line? Did you get that? Finished that 3 days ago and it's still on my mind.

The choices you make have an effect on you, and you alone, which is the case of most choices in life, whether I run down a random pedestrian or give a homeless man a sandwich isn't going to change the fate of the world, yet so often it does in games. You make a split second choice, sometimes a wrong one, and like the character you have to live with it as it instantly saves.

In the case of the big "decision", you do have a choice; you can do what needs to be done to continue the mission, or you can try and do it the conventional way (the game lets you do this) and inevitably you will fail before making a dent in the attacking force. You will fail, because in this situation of stacked odds, there really is no alternative if you wish to proceed, as much as his squad mate (and you the player) may cling to the belief in the contrary.
[quote name='MysterD']Here's why I'd say otherwise - and that it does hit you with a right hook.

Spec Ops: The Line - END GAME SPOILERS
By the end, Walker is suffering from PTSD - and whether you decide to have Walker kills himself or not, he's screwed. It's bleak and dark, either way.

I. If Walker commits suicide - it's all over. He doesn't survive or overcome his past, nightmares and PTSD.

II. If you decide to live here - then what you decide to do if you put the gun down or not when confronted, that's also a bleak and terrible outcome.
A. You can fire the gun - and then just flat-out die in a blaze of "glory" (quoted "glory" b/c I use it VERY- VERY loosely and sarcastically). Bleak. Walker doesn't survive his nightmares and PTSD. He loses.
B. Sure, you can put the gun down and decide to live - but that's also a poor decision, too. Seeing Walker's final horrible look on his face, it symbolizes Walker is probably never going to be able to function properly in society, after everything he's been through and done. He's going to probably even have more people suffer seeing him go through PTSD and Lord knows whatelse, dragging them (likely, his loved ones) also into his miseries that he'll have to forever live with. And who knows if Walker doesn't take the war with him and literally could physically hurt others. I'd be nice for him to come around and overcome this - but the game gives no implications, hints, or signs that would show otherwise.

It's sad, dark, depressing, and bleak - no matter what. That's one of the main points of the game.
WAR IS HELL.[/QUOTE]
There is also an option C, HUGE SPOILER
survive against all odds and murder that entire final squad, walker almost looks disappointed, and gets on the radio to taunt the US to come back to finish the job. This harkens back to a line Konrad said "We can't go home. There's a line men like us have to cross. If we're lucky, we do what's necessary, and then we die."

Anyway, if one has finished the game and wants to read more about the genesis of the game, and lots of little touches which are there that you might not notice, start with this and if you want more there is a list of more material here.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Man,

Steam really needs a messaging system. The entire post to someones wall is annoying. Especially if you want to have a conversation (i.e. Motoki)
[/QUOTE]
Steam does have a messaging system, if you are friends with them. Open friends list, right click them, then send message at the top and it opens an IM chat, or do you mean like a PM system?

To the Moon is really tempting, but I feel like I can wait for either a humble bundle or for it to be 75% off next sale since it is such a short title and I have such a big backlog.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']First to quote gets a Hotline Miami in their PM box...[/QUOTE]

How has no one quoted this man? Lol. EDIT: LOL EXACT TIME I NOTICE THIS MAN NINJA'D. Props to him and his generosity.

[quote name='Motoki']Apparently, there are some European sites listing 1/16 or 1/18 as the release date for Dragonborn but no official word yet.

I really love the idea of getting a little piece of Morrowind (sort of) back so I'll probably cave and buy it right away, or at least give it a week and see if GMG gets it up with a voucher deal.[/QUOTE]

I SERIOUSLY HOPE NOT!
I was thinking next week by the latest. Having to wait another 2 weeks will be painful :whistle2:#

so how has thief: deadly shadows held up with time?
i assume better than thief 1 and 2?
what is it comparable to graphically? oblivion maybe?
comparable to any of the hitman games gameplay wise?
i remember playing it on xbox and not being impressed but i assume that is because it was early game?

[quote name='MysterD']Compared to most other shooters, the story and characters are MUCH better in Spec Ops: The Line when compared to most games in its genre (military shooter).

You're definitely right - it set out to create a bleak, impossible, depressing, and screwed-up scenario - and it worked 100%, if you ask me.

When it comes to depressing story-driven and character-driven shooters, Max Payne series and Spec Ops: The Line surely do a damn good job at this.[/QUOTE]Just finished Spec Ops. Well worth the $5. It's a little odd doing a story about the horrors of war and then require that you kill literally hundreds of people, but hey. I'd avoid reading too much about the story because even knowing there's something coming means you're unconsciously on guard for it. It's like movie ads with review quotes like, "People magazine says it will make you poop yourself in fear and one heck of a surprise twist at the end." Gee, thanks.

One hint: Roll through the entire credits - a VERY long Hendrix tune - and there is a brief epilogue level which you can play out, then reload and play the other way. I didn't realize it was there until reading articles about the game and it was mentioned, necessitating reloading the last checkpoint.

Little Inferno as a flash deal. Might have picked it up earlier in the sale but at this point my budgets been taken out back and shot in the face. Maybe next sale.

Maybe the deals will get better... on the last day of the sale...

Unvarnished opinion time: Little inferno is crap. Don't buy it... ever. It's a not-so-2-deep-4-u morality play about how you shouldn't waste time playing video games (irony, no?). Bundle fodder.

Don't they usually go through Sunday and end Monday at 1:00 EST?

Looks like this one ends on Saturday, right?

[quote name='Mooby']Maybe the deals will get better... on the last day of the sale...[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Guns of Icarus in a bundle?

And then they told us it was the beta version and we actually didn't get the real version on release. :bomb:

[quote name='sch0oldaze']really wanted krater to win... oh well[/QUOTE]

Just so everyone is aware Krater Collector's Edition and 2 pack are 75% off , just the base game is only 66% , so its only $4.99 for the collector's that seems like a good deal only another 1.24 from what would have been 75% off the base (3.74) , and 2 pack beats the base 75% off b/c it is only 3.37 (approx) each.

[quote name='Motoki']Wasn't Guns of Icarus in a bundle?

And then they told us it was the beta version and we actually didn't get the real version on release. :bomb:
[/QUOTE]
thx for skyram

[quote name='Motoki']Every time I think of racing games somehow I think of Asheskitty now.

I swear of all my Steam friends you probably own the most. Well maybe AnarchyOblivion but that's kind of a given.[/QUOTE]

^_^ Zoom zoom!

[quote name='MysterD']@Motoki
But, Asheskitty doesn't have Test Drive Unlimited 2 on Steam... ;)

@Ashes
Do you have TDU2 outside of Steam?
Also, how's Ridge Racer Unbounded? Any thoughts on it yet?[/QUOTE]

Well, some quite negative reviews had turned me off to TDU1&2 (including lousy vehicle handling physics) until I decided to give it shot due to recommendations on CAG (mostly/only you I think). But since then it hasn't gotten back down to $5 on steam. Amazon ran TDU2 @ $5 once but I was expecting it's regular appearance on the steam Winter sale. Grr. At this point I might just pick up it up next time it hits $5 on Amazon. There has been very little love for racers this winter sale. I hope it hits Gabe right in the financials.

I have more NFS games off steam than on Steam. Also GRID (non-steam), and Split/Second (Disney, never on Steam). Re-bought Burnout Paradise on Steam. Don't even get started on my PS2 collection...

I'll post more thoughts when I get some time with Ridge Racer. I only played the demo for like 20 min (to verify it wasn't crap) before buying it. As I said kinda interesting, inspired by BP & SS. It wasn't easy at all, two or three full first race attempts only netted me with 9th place. (That's a good thing. I like challenging.)

[quote name='jkimrey']Don't they usually go through Sunday and end Monday at 1:00 EST?

Looks like this one ends on Saturday, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's a strange ending time.

[quote name='Mooby']Unvarnished opinion time: Little inferno is crap. Don't buy it... ever. It's a not-so-2-deep-4-u morality play about how you shouldn't waste time playing video games (irony, no?). Bundle fodder.[/QUOTE]

God, that sounds horrible. I just might boycott whatever bundle that turd ends up in.

Unless it's the Kingdoms of Amalur (with steam keys) Indie Royale bundle.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Just finished Spec Ops. Well worth the $5. It's a little odd doing a story about the horrors of war and then require that you kill literally hundreds of people, but hey.[/QUOTE]
That's exactly the point - by having the player DO all these HORRIBLE acts, the player FEEL HORRIBLE about it and actually thinks about everything.

Then let's just throw on top of it the entire deconstruction of the military shooter genre and Walker's on-going issues...
....yeah, his on-going PTSD and DID
...Yeah, I think you get the point.

[quote name='Motoki']Wasn't Guns of Icarus in a bundle?

[/QUOTE]
Be Mine 4. Groupees aren't good with communicate.

[quote name='asheskitty']

Well, some quite negative reviews had turned me off to TDU1&2 (including lousy vehicle handling physics) until I decided to give it shot due to recommendations on CAG (mostly/only you I think). But since then it hasn't gotten back down to $5 on steam. Amazon ran TDU2 @ $5 once but I was expecting it's regular appearance on the steam Winter sale. Grr. At this point I might just pick up it up next time it hits $5 on Amazon. There has been very little love for racers this winter sale. I hope it hits Gabe right in the financials.

I have more NFS games off steam than on Steam. Also GRID (non-steam), and Split/Second (Disney, never on Steam). Re-bought Burnout Paradise on Steam. Don't even get started on my PS2 collection...

I'll post more thoughts when I get some time with Ridge Racer. I only played the demo for like 20 min (to verify it wasn't crap) before buying it. As I said kinda interesting, inspired by BP & SS. It wasn't easy at all, two or three full first race attempts only netted me with 9th place. (That's a good thing. I like challenging.)[/QUOTE]

I own A LOT of racers.

I don't think that's all of 'em, but here's a bunch I own on the PC:

NFS: Most Wanted, Carbon, Undercover, ProStreet, Hot Pursuit 2010, Shift 1, Shift 2, and The Run.
Test Drive Unlimited 2
GTR2
Blur
Split/Second
FUEL
GRID
DIRT 1 + 2
TOCA RACE Driver 3.
Midnight Club 2
Burnout: Paradise - TUB

Status
Not open for further replies.