The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent quite a bit this sale. I picked up a bunch of great games that'll keep me happy for a long time though.

My Haul

Steam:

Ace of Spades
Sleeping Dogs
Sleeping Dogs Dragon Master Pack
Sleeping Dogs SWAT Pack
Sleeping Dogs Screen Legends Pack
Sleeping Dogs - Tactical Soldier Pack
Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point
Orcs Must Die 2 - Complete Pack
Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack
Skyrim Hearthfire
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Universe Sandbox
Mirror's Edge
Dawn of War Collection

Amazon:
Hotline Miami (Free AC)
The Darkness II Standard Edition
Borderlands GOTY
Duke Nukem Forever
Far Cry 3 (uplay)
Battlefield 3 Premium Upgrade (Origin)

GreenmanGaming:

Civilization V: Gods and Kings

Gamersgate:

Bethesda Holiday Pack
Dishonored
Skyrim​

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the sale. Some of the discounts could have been better, but I'm still content with what I paid for what I got.
From what I've played so far, no regrets yet. I've already played through Sleeping Dogs and am working my way through Far Cry 3.
Dishonored was also a great play, though I still have to finish it up. Every level I finished had a high chaos level. I would begin the levels all sneaky-like, then inevitably fuck up and have to kill everyone in sight. But I still enjoyed the hell out of the half of the game I played.

[quote name='Blade3D']Should I buy Chivalry or Natural Selection 2?[/QUOTE]

chiv feels more like css with swords
ns2 is like aliens vs predator and has some basic rts elements if youre the commander

if you can only get one, get chiv, because its had steady numbers since the get-go....where-as ns2 has been in the mid to low 2ks since launch, only to pop up a bit since this sale

[quote name='Blade3D']Should I buy Chivalry or Natural Selection 2?[/QUOTE]

wow
you should probably get in on 4-packs and get both
or chivalry i guess
do you want a multiplayer game that is different because it has melee combat or different because it is asymmetric?

[quote name='tham1988']wow
you should probably get in on 4-packs and get both
or chivalry i guess
do you want a multiplayer game that is different because it has melee combat or different because it is asymmetric?[/QUOTE]

No one is buying 4 packs, and I don't have enough $$$ to buy both.

[quote name='Genocidal']It's using intellectual property that the creators don't have the rights to. Unequivocally no.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. Poor use of sarcasm on my part. :error:

[quote name='asheskitty']fuck yeah! (excitement, not greenlight)

...mind you I also enjoyed Arcana Heart.[/QUOTE]

I was thoroughly let down by Naughty Bear, so this title may fuel my childlike desire for destruction. Next we need a My Little Pony X Care Bears... :cool:

[quote name='Terlan']Everytime I see Anno 2070 I die a little inside. I can put up with uplay, but not tages.[/QUOTE]

i was extremely tempted to get it, but the 3 limit thing is out of the question. ive also read many reviews on metacritic about hot its not all that in depth or challenging once you get a few hours in

[quote name='Terlan']Everytime I see Anno 2070 I die a little inside. I can put up with uplay, but not tages.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='UW_Shocks']T@GES!? /me shivers[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheArmoredVirus']i was extremely tempted to get it, but the 3 limit thing is out of the question. ive also read many reviews on metacritic about hot its not all that in depth or challenging once you get a few hours in[/QUOTE]

+3. I really want it but Tages with a 3 activation limit is just an absolute no unless it's $5 or less.

I did however buy the retail disc of Anno 1404 from Amazon recently. That game if you install the latest patch (retail only) on top of the game after you install but before you run it for the first time will deactivate the Tages and you can safely delete it.

I would have preferred to have it on Steam but for some reason that still makes no god damned sense to me Ubisoft refused to push an update to Steam for Dawn of Discovery (the NA title for Anno 1404) so Steam yanked it.

[quote name='DPsycho']It's not even that. It's how much satisfaction and value you draw from owning the games, however many or few they may be. Some would say the pleasure you derive from playing them, but that's just crazy talk.[/QUOTE]

Can I use this as my sig? This is probably the funniest statement ever.

[quote name='DPsycho']That's like four console games with tax.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that I've paid more than $30 on any single console game for at least 6 months and that's only because I didn't discover CAG until April.

Be my guest. :D

Last time I was buying console games at release was in 2011 when KMart gave you a coupon for nearly half as much off the next one, every time. Since that changed, I've gone back to waiting for later sales and price cuts. Actually, I think I only bought new PC and handheld releases for all of 2012. The only console games were ones that had been out a while.

[quote name='DPsycho']Be my guest. :D

Last time I was buying console games at release was in 2011 when KMart gave you a coupon for nearly half as much off the next one, every time. Since that changed, I've gone back to waiting for later sales and price cuts.[/QUOTE]

That is why I wish that I had discovered CAG sooner.

[quote name='DPsycho']Be my guest. :D

Last time I was buying console games at release was in 2011 when KMart gave you a coupon for nearly half as much off the next one, every time. Since that changed, I've gone back to waiting for later sales and price cuts. Actually, I think I only bought new PC and handheld releases for all of 2012. The only console games were ones that had been out a while.[/QUOTE]
I've bought several through BB and sold them back to BB after I beat them for a net lose of $0. As long as they keep doing these $20 pre-order bonuses I'll keep using them as a free rental service.

zzZzz missed sleeping dogs dlc...I got it from a giveaway on release day so Im not that upset that I missed it :D Would have made nice gifts tho I guess...
Guess Im off to steamgifts...

edit: so I see reports of sleeping dogs stuff on steamgifts was highly exaggerated...

[quote name='Motoki']
You can set a price watch for it at that Camelcamelcamel link above. For some reason it shows Amazon DD as a 3rd party but it should still work if you do the price watch on it.[/QUOTE]

For whatever reason, all digital goods (including MP3s) now appear to be showing up as "3rd party new" prices on camelcamelcamel. I usually set identical alerts up on both 1st and 3rd party new prices just in case.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']Sorry but Indie Royale sucks[/QUOTE]

Bzzzzzzt. Wrong answer.

I didn't get Super Amazing Wagon Adventure from anywhere else.

Ever think those Steam sale glitches are on purpose for us die hards? I mean, Valve seems to routinely have their crap together. Maybe it's to keep people glued to their sale times... the more you sit in front of a Steam enabled device hitting F5, the more likely to buy?

I bought two copies of Sleepah Dawgs, one for me, one for a friend.

Still thinking of Chivalry... wish there was a demo!

Usually indie royale has one game that's I'm willing to pay for, like Analogue or To the moon, one random steam game, and and assorted random 2 others that I never actually play. But it has a nice presentation, and if the headliner is any good, I'll grab it, as it's similar to buying the main game on sale, but getting free extras too! so I'm interested.

though I have no idea what the replay bundle in kinda hinting at. repeats of old sales? Prince of persia? who knows?

[quote name='UW_Shocks']Sorry but Indie Royale sucks[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily disagree. I've yet to buy one, myself. Only two I would have jumped on were ones where I already owned the 'premier' game. I don't have much hope for the new one but... who knows.

[quote name='asheskitty']Ah thanks! I only played like two hours of Dishonored (wasn't in patient/steath mood). Despite some great recent additions to my library, I'm still at bit tempted by Hitman:Ab @ $20. That helps me get in touch with my inner CAG more. =)[/QUOTE]

I may have said it previously, but my memory is questionable. I believe the best way to enjoy Dishonored is to go for the less than 20% kills. If you kill less than 20% of the people in the level, both guards and infected, your chaos will remain low. That leaves room for a few "Oh shit! Throat stab!" moments and still gives you a reason to attempt stealth whenever possible. The only real bonus to no detection (outside of personal satisfaction) is the achievement, and if you're going to do that one, you might as well go for the Blink Only one as well. So unless you're achievement hunting, I seriously advise choking out as many people as you can, and throat stabbing the few that you can't.

(Also, never forget to use possession, I can't tell you how many non-lethals I got because I could possess a dude and walk him out of my way... or into the clutches of a waiting ally...)

[quote name='AgentW']Usually indie royale has one game that's I'm willing to pay for, like Analogue or To the moon, one random steam game, and and assorted random 2 others that I never actually play. But it has a nice presentation, and if the headliner is any good, I'll grab it, as it's similar to buying the main game on sale, but getting free extras too! so I'm interested.

though I have no idea what the replay bundle in kinda hinting at. repeats of old sales? Prince of persia? who knows?[/QUOTE]

My guess is the revival of an old bundle (hence the wishlist feature in your IR collection page) or a compilation of games they've had in previous bundles. Either way, I'm not expecting something completely new.

[quote name='AgentW']though I have no idea what the replay bundle in kinda hinting at. repeats of old sales? Prince of persia? who knows?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure they will just rerun one of their past bundles. I hope it will be that one with Blackwell trilogy, because I missed it.

[quote name='Cantatus']Ah, yeah. Rookie CAG mistake. Us vets know Steam is mainly for hording and using as a bargain hunting simulator. We're like dragons that way. We sit atop our massive horde of digital goods, constantly looking for new things to grow it, but to actually use it for anything other than looking pretty? Bah! Ridiculous![/QUOTE]

QFT :applause:

[quote name='DPsycho']
602738_474207102637286_962256361_n.jpg

Even the Steam mascots are amazed by today's ephemeral pricing error on Sleeping Dogs.[/QUOTE]

Hahah awesome!

[quote name='Tsel']Looks like everyone on my friends list got in on Sleeping Dogs and the DLC.[/QUOTE]

Same here :D

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I'll probably get Hitman. Thanks for the advice![/QUOTE]

Hitman: Absolution is pretty good, if you ask me.

I'm 20 hours into it or so.

But, let me warn fans - it is also NOT like previous Hitman games in many ways. If you are expecting Hitman 2: SA or Hitman: Blood Money, you're expecting the wrong kind of game. This game tries to be MORE than those. A LOT of new things here (missions are more mixed-up w/ some sandboxy and some linear types; a meter that you can fill by doing things that can give you skills like Mark & Execute like in SC: Conviction and see enemies through walls like Batman: AA + AC; leaderboard for your in-game score to be compared against your Steam Friends, The USA, and The World); and some things been removed (i.e. Notoriety system and earn money to upgrade equipment is gone in the SP Campaign; no globe-trotting around the globe here, since it's all in the USA).

At times, it IS A LOT like previous Hitman games (sandboxy missions w/ targets that you have numerous creative ways you kill them and you have to find your exit). Also, at times - it is NOT like Hitman games - i.e. it'll be much more linear and you basically need to just evade the cops or just exit the area.

The story, though - this is the best story I've seen in a Hitman game. Way more focused than ever before. And some of the characters are just awesome and great.

[quote name='FyreFlux']is Rage any good? cant decide if i want to pick it up for 5 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Good, but not great. Could've and should've been great - but, it's not.

The story is nothing special; and the ending is down-right terrible and actually worse than ME3's ending.
Though, this game has the best and coolest characters I've seen in an Id game.

Recycled areas for side-missions is not a good thing, either - and this is one of the major problems w/ this game. You'll feel like you've went through many of these areas before - b/c you've often explored them in the main quest!
Also, it can be a pain in the butt to just game actually looking and running well - if you actually can succeed at this.

Though, if you like Id-style shooters and combat - you'll see this is what this game is fantastic at.

Also, keep in mind - RAGE is like over 20 GB in size...

Yo everyone! I found this amazing german site where you can buy games. Today and tomorrow they have a couple of them on sale for just 1 euro each. As far as I know they all come with steam codes (I bought Saints Row 2 and it gave me a steam code). Not all of the games (in fact a lot) are really interesting though I think.

You can pay with paypal. You'll have to make an account though.

http://www.mcgame.com/de

Enjoy!

(Be warned though, when I entered the key it said I was activating "Saints Row 2 (DE)" but I have no idea if the game will be in german then...)

NVM! All crappy german stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tham1988']yeah i'm starting to get the impression that stealth no-kill is not the way to play dishonored
(i guess i should replay human revolution for that)[/QUOTE]

I played stealth so horribly. I need to replay it for that.

Most of that Dishonored game, it was High Chaos for me - and I had a blast w/ it. When doing combat, the game reminded me a lot of the Bioshock-style gameplay - with weapons and magic at your fingertips.

{Drools}

God, Dishonored was awesome...

[quote name='Therapy']Yo everyone! I found this amazing german site where you can buy games. Today and tomorrow they have a lot of them on sale for just 1 euro each. As far as I know they all come with steam codes (I bought Saints Row 2 and it gave me a steam code)

You can pay with paypal. You'll have to make an account though.

http://www.mcgame.com/de

Enjoy!

(Be warned though, when I entered the key it said I was activating "Saints Row 2 (DE)" but I have no idea if the game will be in german then...[/QUOTE]
Not all the games comes with a steam code
Not all the games are in english
SR2 is censored

[quote name='Stonekeep']Not all the games comes with a steam code
SR2 is censored[/QUOTE]
Its censored and you can only play co-op with germans :lol:

[quote name='Stonekeep']Not all the games comes with a steam code
SR2 is censored[/QUOTE]

Oh well that clears things up. Forget I mentioned it :p

[quote name='evildeadjedi']QFT :applause:

Hahah awesome!

Same here :D[/QUOTE]

damnit, missed another good deal.....it sucks working early in the morning and getting off at 3pm, cant do anything

Ace of Spades is virtually unplayable on my laptop, which is surprising considering what this laptop can play perfectly fine. Textures aren't loading fully and I'm getting probably 5 FPS. It's awful.

EDIT: Yep, even on the lowest graphic settings, it's unplayable. I wasted $3.74. Oh well.

[quote name='Tsel']Ace of Spades is virtually unplayable on my laptop, which is surprising considering what this laptop can play perfectly fine. Textures aren't loading fully and I'm getting probably 5 FPS. It's awful.[/QUOTE]

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/05/ace-of-spades-review

[quote name='carl7117']do you need a high end pc to play the witcher 2? i want to get it but i dont know if my laptop will be able to handle it[/QUOTE]

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

I didn't have any issues on my previous laptop .. and since I've already upgraded it couldn't have been TOO great of a video card...

I used it and it's rarely failed me.... at least it gets me in the ballpark... some games have issues that are GAME issues and not necessary system requirement issues (bad optimization, etc).

[quote name='carl7117']do you need a high end pc to play the witcher 2? i want to get it but i dont know if my laptop will be able to handle it[/QUOTE]

What kind of specs does your laptop have?

System Requirements Lab is not a very good site. It's meant for people who have next to no clue what's actually in their computer. You're generally far better off just googling the make or details of your laptop and the game's name. Laptops are generally not very easy for people (or sites like that) to give accurate advice on.

[quote name='Corpekata']System Requirements Lab is not a very good site. It's meant for people who have next to no clue what's actually in their computer. You're generally far better off just googling the make or details of your laptop and the game's name. Laptops are generally not very easy for people (or sites like that) to give advice on.[/QUOTE]

I know what's in my PC....
...Wires, boards, fans, and stuff. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back