The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']I just want to go on record as saying the best abbreviation for The Witcher 2 is Witcher 2. TW2 is definitely too confusable with Two Worlds 2.[/QUOTE]

Technically it should be TW2:AoK

[quote name='tham1988']that seems like a pretty fantastic haul to me. three of the best story-based games ever.[/QUOTE]I meant quantity-wise compared to some of the hoarders here. I've already beaten Spec Ops - very good game, but one of the shortest I've ever played; Steam reports 6 hours total. I've played a couple hours of Alan Wake (great atmosphere, but annoying combat) and a little Witcher.

I never post my sale hauls (cba) but I thought it was interesting that this Winter Sale, I received more gifts (7 games, 2 DLC, and 1 DOTA) than I bought for myself on Steam (2 games, 1 DLC not counting SD) and Amazon (3 games/packs) combined. 'Course, repaying those gifts not included...

When does the Winter Sale start? ;)

You guys realize that Sleeping Dogs has 21 pieces of DLC. Magicka only has 20. Crown the new king.

[quote name='walkonshadows']You guys realize that Sleeping Dogs has 21 pieces of DLC. Magicka only has 20. Crown the new king.[/QUOTE]

Meanwhile, there's a certain train simulator sitting atop Mount Olympus rolling its eyes.

Hey everyone - played about 30 minutes of Giana Sisters tonight and it's a pretty solid platformer. Surprisingly, I had to crank down the resolution to 720p (from 1080p) because my graphics card was having a hard time keeping up (NVIDIA GT 430 / 1GB)

I was skeptical at first at the difficulty (after watching gameplay videos) but it's really not too bad. There really isn't any death penalty. After playing the first 4-5 levels I kind of had the hang of the gameplay mechanics.

Gameplay was solid, art was amazing, music was pretty awesome too. I know it's not on sale any more but anyone who has been thinking about picking it up should do themselves a favor and at least put it on their wishlist for the summer sale.

[quote name='walkonshadows']When does the Winter Sale start? ;)

You guys realize that Sleeping Dogs has 21 pieces of DLC. Magicka only has 20. Crown the new king.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DPsycho']Meanwhile, there's a certain train simulator sitting atop Mount Olympus rolling its eyes.[/QUOTE]

While not at Train Simulator levels, Dungeon Defenders has 24 pieces of DLC, which tops Sleeping Dogs.

>Power supply breaks, takes minimum 2 weeks to replace and inspect.
>Install low profile card I bought months ago on my HTPC......................Power supply to weak to function.

tumblr_lni53zqyda1qasqbl.jpg

Why gaming gods? Why do you hate me so much? I just want to play my games.

[quote name='jshackles']Hey everyone - played about 30 minutes of Giana Sisters tonight and it's a pretty solid platformer. Surprisingly, I had to crank down the resolution to 720p (from 1080p) because my graphics card was having a hard time keeping up (NVIDIA GT 430 / 1GB)

I was skeptical at first at the difficulty (after watching gameplay videos) but it's really not too bad. There really isn't any death penalty. After playing the first 4-5 levels I kind of had the hang of the gameplay mechanics.
[/QUOTE]

Note that Giana slowplays it. It DOES ramp up the difficulty quite a bit but it takes until you've cleared the first world before it starts stomping you in the nuts.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']>Power supply breaks, takes minimum 2 weeks to replace and inspect.
>Install low profile card I bought months ago on my HTPC......................Power supply to weak to function.
[/QUOTE]

Who are you quoting?

Are we really that lazy that we can't just type out The Witcher 2 and Two Worlds II? And for the record, I think that TW2 and TWII work best, respectively. One game uses roman numerals and the other does not, so why not just do the same thing in regards to the acronyms?

[quote name='Indignate']TW2 - The Witcher 2

2W2 - Two Worlds 2[/QUOTE]
2W2 doesn't make much sense. There isn't any "2" in the game title, yet you're using two of them!

[quote name='Tsel']And for the record, I think that TW2 and TWII work best, respectively. One game uses roman numerals and the other does not, so why not just do the same thing in regards to the acronyms?[/QUOTE]
Exactly!

(And yes, most of us are too lazy to keep typing the full titles repeatedly. However, there's no reason not to to do when referring to a game out-of-the-blue, or after a long string of posts which don't mention the full title.)

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Call the first one W2 cause the word the is often left out of acronyms. Seems obvious to me, unless there's some other game called W2.[/QUOTE]
To me, W2 is Worms 2. (Also: TLR, TFE/TSE, VTM, SOTMC, ROTT, and TES)

Has anyone played Rig 'N' Roll? I think it was in a bundle at one point or another, most likely Indie Gala. It's so hilariously bad, but I was actually having fun with it until it crashed. For being so cheap, it's surprisingly deep. It's not actually a bad truck simulator, but it is a bad game. Someone on my friend's list has 74 hours in this game. Either they really, really love trucks or they left it running multiple times.

LMFAO, holy shit. I just looked at the store page and this game costs $24.99! Wow.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']>Power supply breaks, takes minimum 2 weeks to replace and inspect.

Why gaming gods? Why do you hate me so much? I just want to play my games.[/QUOTE]

le meme arrows XD

[quote name='Tsel']Has anyone played Rig 'N' Roll? I think it was in a bundle at one point or another, most likely Indie Gala. It's so hilariously bad, but I was actually having fun with it until it crashed. For being so cheap, it's surprisingly deep. It's not actually a bad truck simulator, but it is a bad game. Someone on my friend's list has 74 hours in this game. Either they really, really love trucks or they left it running multiple times.

LMFAO, holy shit. I just looked at the store page and this game costs $24.99! Wow.[/QUOTE]

1c games are overpriced, but they'll always on sale.

I believe the smooth transition between soundtracks is one of Giana Sisters' best aspects... Huelsbeck's softer but slightly unsettling style intertwines entirely with Machinae Supremacy's harder and determined one.

The OST alone is more than worth its price, but I'm obviously a CAG and have been waiting for a substantial discount :bouncy:
In the meantime, I make up for it by listening to the tracks on Bandcamp :cool:

[quote name='TheKbob']STILL on the fence about Chivalry. If ever there was in need of a demo... or I could just save my $12 for some wet palette paper for painting.

Choices.[/QUOTE]

JakeNome has it for $9. Get it.

Why gaming gods? Why do you hate me so much? I just want to play my games.[/QUOTE]

Does your card have additional power connectors? If it does, your best bet is a Radeon 7750 OC which a tad better performance than a 5770 but doesnt use additional power connectors. And its cheap.

So I only ended up getting:

Defender's Quest
FTL

I've only played FTL so far, and maybe it's me... but I sure do die a lot. Once you get to like the 5th system, I just get toasted.

Really thought about getting Orcs Must Die 2, but it's good to have something to look to buy and I already have a huge backlog. Constraint!

Well guys and gals, the sales are almost over. Though they weren't as good as previous sales, they were pretty fun. But mostly because of the discussions in this topic :p

A lot of pages back I was peer pressured into buying Doom Rails. And a couple of pages back I read that it has horrible DRM (and gameplay :p) so I'm pretty glad I bought it to put in my inventory instead of straight-away downloading it.

Since
I've got more games through the CAG community than through steam itself in this sale, I feel it is time for me to give something back to the awesome CAGs. From a Dutch guy, I suppose that is really special :p

So, here it is!

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/BlmsC/

If you're lucky, you can see for yourself how horrible this game is and how long the DRM will last. In any case, one thing is for sure: you can't complain when it's free.

Enjoy! And don't forget to read the description :cool:

(Runs untill Friday, only for CAG. This is the only thread I'm posting it in and I'm not sure how many times I'll spam it but feel free to share it anywhere.)

[quote name='Blaan']So I only ended up getting:

Defender's Quest
FTL

I've only played FTL so far, and maybe it's me... but I sure do die a lot. Once you get to like the 5th system, I just get toasted.

Really thought about getting Orcs Must Die 2, but it's good to have something to look to buy and I already have a huge backlog. Constraint![/QUOTE]

It's a classic randomized dungeon crawler kind of game- I also only made it to 5th system. It's supposed to be brutal but the better you do the more ships you unlock so one day hope to beat it on easy lol

[quote name='Corpekata']Anyone doing a 4 pack has it for 9 bucks really.[/QUOTE]

You actually pay .37 extra if you split a 4-pack. & its such a hassle :lol:

[quote name='jshackles']Hey everyone - played about 30 minutes of Giana Sisters tonight and it's a pretty solid platformer. Surprisingly, I had to crank down the resolution to 720p (from 1080p) because my graphics card was having a hard time keeping up (NVIDIA GT 430 / 1GB)

Gameplay was solid, art was amazing, music was pretty awesome too. I know it's not on sale any more but anyone who has been thinking about picking it up should do themselves a favor and at least put it on their wishlist for the summer sale.[/QUOTE]

GMG has a Steam redeemable version and it has been on sale before so you there may be a sale before summer there (or voucher) if you keep an eye out.

[quote name='Tsel']Are we really that lazy that we can't just type out The Witcher 2 and Two Worlds II? And for the record, I think that TW2 and TWII work best, respectively. One game uses roman numerals and the other does not, so why not just do the same thing in regards to the acronyms?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are that lazy.

[quote name='Tsel']Has anyone played Rig 'N' Roll? I think it was in a bundle at one point or another, most likely Indie Gala. It's so hilariously bad, but I was actually having fun with it until it crashed. For being so cheap, it's surprisingly deep. It's not actually a bad truck simulator, but it is a bad game. Someone on my friend's list has 74 hours in this game. Either they really, really love trucks or they left it running multiple times.

LMFAO, holy shit. I just looked at the store page and this game costs $24.99! Wow.[/QUOTE]

It's craptacular. I play it with my Microsoft Wonder Woman Steering wheel.

[quote name='Therapy']Well guys and gals, the sales are almost over. Though they weren't as good as previous sales, they were pretty fun. But mostly because of the discussions in this topic :p

A lot of pages back I was peer pressured into buying Doom Rails. And a couple of pages back I read that it has horrible DRM (and gameplay :p) so I'm pretty glad I bought it to put in my inventory instead of straight-away downloading it.
[/QUOTE]

Seriously? A 74 cent game in your inventory? What are you going to do with it exactly? Trade it? Sell it to someone else?

The gameplay isn't that bad. I mean it ain't game of the year but it's kind of stupid fun for a few minutes and moreso if you can find some friends to play with. A bunch of people here do have it now so there's actually a chance of that.

As an aside, (AND NOBODY GET THEIR PANTIES IN A BUNCH PLEASE BECAUSE THIS ISN'T DUE TO ANY ONE PERSON BUT INSTEAD I NOTICED A NUMBER OF PEOPLE DOING IT) I'm probably going to stop gifting except for close friends I know well. Several people I gifted to did the inventory thing. I guess. The games were gone from my inventory and not showing up in theirs. I don't know if they traded them or are saving them until the end of days or what. I don't like making myself neurotic constantly checking someone's list for days or wondering 'Wait, did I give it to the person?'. Plus I just think it's rude.

Just my own personal pet peeve I guess.

I get the whole inventory thing for something that's in a publisher pack or likely to be in a bundle or whatever but 74 cent Doom Rails or $2.50 Coconut Queen or whatever, yeah not so much.

/rant

[quote name='Motoki']

Seriously? A 74 cent game in your inventory? What are you going to do with it exactly? Trade it? Sell it to someone else?

The gameplay isn't that bad. I mean it ain't game of the year but it's kind of stupid fun for a few minutes and moreso if you can find some friends to play with. A bunch of people here do have it now so there's actually a chance of that.

I get the whole inventory thing for something that's in a publisher pack or likely to be in a bundle or whatever but 74 cent Doom Rails or $2.50 Coconut Queen or whatever, yeah not so much.

/rant[/QUOTE]

Maybe I logged it because I don't feel like playing with people I don't really know and who I prolly can't properly connect with anyway because they are on the other side of the world/sea. And maybe another reason is because I could not convince my friends to play it even though I gifted them the game as well. Maybe I pre-calculated that that might happen and put the game in inventory just in case, so I can make someone else happy with it who might still want it and missed the sale or something.

I'll have you know that I gifted another copy on galagiveaway and the winner even took the trouble to add me as a friend and tell me he was so happy with the game, thank you very much. So why don't you just cram your misplaced judgement of people up where the sun doesn't shine and be happy that I'm gifting the game to someone who might be happier with it than I am? Even when it's just a 75 (euro)cent game. It's not like you gifted it to me or something.

Ain't nobody got time fo' that!

[/rant]

[quote name='Motoki']
As an aside, (AND NOBODY GET THEIR PANTIES IN A BUNCH PLEASE BECAUSE THIS ISN'T DUE TO ANY ONE PERSON BUT INSTEAD I NOTICED A NUMBER OF PEOPLE DOING IT) I'm probably going to stop gifting except for close friends I know well. Several people I gifted to did the inventory thing. I guess. The games were gone from my inventory and not showing up in theirs. I don't know if they traded them or are saving them until the end of days or what. I don't like making myself neurotic constantly checking someone's list for days or wondering 'Wait, did I give it to the person?'. Plus I just think it's rude.

/rant[/QUOTE]

Great guys now Ill never get a random obscure unloved title from Motoki! This is why we cant have nice things people!

[quote name='Motoki']Seriously? A 74 cent game in your inventory? What are you going to do with it exactly? Trade it? Sell it to someone else?
[/QUOTE]
Demand five 13¢ Sleeping Dog DLCs for it, naturally.

Personally, whenever I gift games I demand to be on Skype with that person with the camera facing their monitor as I walk them step by step on how to add the game directly to their Library and not their Inventory. After they do that I return their kidnapped puppy safely.

I feel your pain. I just re-built my HTPC last week and just installed a shiny new 7950 3gb card, just for my power supply to blow up and hour later. :cry: Time to upgrade i guess.

Well your screencaps look hilarious. I particularly liked the one where you were pulled over by the cops and getting arrested.

[quote name='Motoki']GMG has a Steam redeemable version and it has been on sale before so you there may be a sale before summer there (or voucher) if you keep an eye out.

Yes, they are that lazy.[/QUOTE]

Well, speaking only for myself, yes, I am that lazy.

[quote name='Motoki']

/rant[/QUOTE]

Well, when I get gifts, mostly from my brother, I sometimes stick them in my inventory for a few days, but I can't really leave them there. I mean, he occasionally gifts me things that I think, "That's bundle fodder" or "I'm not sure I'm terribly interested in that." But I wouldn't feel right about selling or trading any of them, so they go into my library pretty quickly.

Selling or trading a Steam gift seems rude to me too. It's like someone getting you a Christmas present and you telling that person, "Yeah, this sucks; I didn't want it." As someone who was occasionally enough of a dick to actually do this IRL in my past, I can't do it anymore in any context.

FTL tips:

1) start playing on EASY, not Normal. Easy just beds you in nicely. There's better equipment in Normal mode but you need to get used to how the game plays first.

2) upgrade shields as a priority, along with power capacity. Rank 2 (four bars) of shields should be enough for the first three zones, but don't hold back if you have cash(scrap) spare.

3) it took me numerous attempts (15-20) to reach the boss, and another 5 times to actually beat him. Stick with it. You get an ACE ship for winning on Easy :)

4) layout no. 2 is often better than layout no. 1, aim to unlock it for each ship if possible.

5) new ships will come along in time, just take a few chances with distress missions and you'll run into them. I got Mech first, Zoltan(?) shortly after.

[quote name='Broken Cage']If you guys seriously start fighting over Doom Rails, I'm going to go live with Grandma.[/QUOTE]

*knock knock*

Uh Grandma?

Hello?

My game collection is digital now so it really doesn't take up all that space anymore.

Honest!

[quote name='Flowette']FTL tips:

1) start playing on EASY, not Normal. Easy just beds you in nicely. There's better equipment in Normal mode but you need to get used to how the game plays first.

2) upgrade shields as a priority, along with power capacity. Rank 2 (four bars) of shields should be enough for the first three zones, but don't hold back if you have cash(scrap) spare.

3) it took me numerous attempts (15-20) to reach the boss, and another 5 times to actually beat him. Stick with it. You get an ACE ship for winning on Easy :)

4) layout no. 2 is often better than layout no. 1, aim to unlock it for each ship if possible.

5) new ships will come along in time, just take a few chances with distress missions and you'll run into them. I got Mech first, Zoltan(?) shortly after.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I think I unlocked two other ships, but I was trying to get the achievements with the first one before I tried out the next. But that is good advice about the shields. I'd mostly been concentrating on the different weapons at this point, but I'm still figuring out the best strategy. I'm also learning that you almost never get crew from Distress signals. Or I have bad luck. Or both.

But I really dig it. It's a cool game. Wish there was a save feature, but I like that it's challenging.

[quote name='Broken Cage']If you guys seriously start fighting over Doom Rails, I'm going to go live with Grandma.[/QUOTE]

Challenge Accepted \\:D/O:)

I'm just going to cross my arms. Anytime someone is too good on the internet it's because they have a bot doing all their work for them.

You guys are using Bots! to win at Doom Rails!

EDIT: Started Doom Rails on Steam and AVG shut it down because of a virus in it. ON STEAM.

Dear Joseph,

Over the holidays we had a few problems with our site that affected you and your purchase of the Bethesda New Year Collection or the Borderlands 2 Four-Pack. We mistakenly advertised these packs at a price much lower than intended.

As difficult as it is for us, we will be honoring the price that we advertised – we´re currently waiting on serial keys to complete your order and will deliver them as soon as possible.

We want to apologize for our mistakes and the amount of time it has taken to resolve everything. Please be aware that due to these issues, our support team is under heavy pressure – we will be answering all tickets we receive, but it may take longer than usual until things calm down.

We hope that you can be pleased that this issue has been resolved, and that we can continue to deliver fantastic deals and some exciting new releases as we move forward.

Best regards,
GamersGate Team

:applause:

[quote name='nastyislegend']Dear Joseph,

Over the holidays we had a few problems with our site that affected you and your purchase of the Bethesda New Year Collection or the Borderlands 2 Four-Pack. We mistakenly advertised these packs at a price much lower than intended.

As difficult as it is for us, we will be honoring the price that we advertised – we´re currently waiting on serial keys to complete your order and will deliver them as soon as possible.

We want to apologize for our mistakes and the amount of time it has taken to resolve everything. Please be aware that due to these issues, our support team is under heavy pressure – we will be answering all tickets we receive, but it may take longer than usual until things calm down.

We hope that you can be pleased that this issue has been resolved, and that we can continue to deliver fantastic deals and some exciting new releases as we move forward.

Best regards,
GamersGate Team

:applause:[/QUOTE]

:lol: at least they have your name. I got the same email but it said:

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Debating about getting the first Witcher game for 2.50. Can anyone comment on the quality of the game?[/QUOTE]

If you like RPGs and dark fantasy, you'll love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back