The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Saw that over the weekend. Really interested in it, just for portable PC gaming.[/QUOTE]

Can't you just rig up a complicated set of mirrors to make your monitor visible in the bathroom?

[quote name='asheskitty']I know the sale is over. We're all feeling a bit alone and confused, but let's cut the *crazy* talk. ^_~[/QUOTE]

They sit in my library, mocking me lol

[quote name='louiedog']Can't you just rig up a complicated set of mirrors to make your monitor visible in the bathroom?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, trying to decide between the "You mean your PC isn't in the bathroom?" or the "Don't you just have a toilet at your computer desk?" joke...

The jagged alliance bundle. 5.99 at the gala store...

I don't want to stress my wallet AGAIN, so I must ask for opinions on the new jagged alliance games. Are they patched now? The [can't remember name] mod makes the game good? I know the game by itself on launch was a mess... But I want to know how it is after patches and mods

[quote name='Detruire']I'm pretty sure that won't activate on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Thats what Im afraid of. There is no mention of steam in the game page. Will they give you a key for uplay or your force to download it in their site?

[quote name='juanjava']The jagged alliance bundle. 5.99 at the gala store...

I don't want to stress my wallet AGAIN, so I must ask for opinions on the new jagged alliance games. Are they patched now? The [can't remember name] mod makes the game good? I know the game by itself on launch was a mess... But I want to know how it is after patches and mods[/QUOTE]

And to think I picked up Skydrift yesterday fro $2 on GMG >.>

I don't want to stress my wallet AGAIN, so I must ask for opinions on the new jagged alliance games. Are they patched now? The [can't remember name] mod makes the game good? I know the game by itself on launch was a mess... But I want to know how it is after patches and mods[/QUOTE]

I saw that and am thinking about getting it too. Because, you know, I haven't spent enough money already on games recently. :p I didn't post my haul because I think those things are like baby pictures - everyone wants to show theirs but no one else really cares - but let's just say it was not insubstantial.

Anyway, there's a thread about it on the Steam community forum:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/57740/discussions/0/864951022519729608/

The game itself seems to be really polarizing with some people really liking it and others being disappointed because when they compare it to the older games, but the general concensus on bugs and issues seems to be that after patches everything is quite playable.

I think this latest sale sucked. If it was the first sale I'd been through, there would have been a few games I would have bought, but I have them already.

[quote name='mnemnoch']Thats what Im afraid of. There is no mention of steam in the game page. Will they give you a key for uplay or your force to download it in their site?[/QUOTE]
I think that it'll be a download from Nuuvem. (The GG one is a download from them iirc.)

Thanks! Bought! I already had Skydrift so I'll probably gift that one away at some point...

[quote name='poxi']Nice. I'm getting it on the next 75% off sale.[/QUOTE]

They will rise it again 1 week before the next major sale :lol: (as they did with Max Payne 3 and Skyrim on the european regions)

[quote name='Detruire']I think that it'll be a download from Nuuvem. (The GG one is a download from them iirc.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information!

That Indiegala bundles are interesting. Jagged Alliance and the Diciples bundle.

[quote name='jshackles']In the latest of a series of bad news for THQ fans:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3846854/thq-franchises-may-be-sold-title-by-title[/QUOTE]
Bad news? This is great news. It means someone won't buy THQ for the Saints Row brand and ignore everything else. (look at poor Rare...) This way each franchise will be picked up by someone willing to actually continue that franchise. Yeah it'll suck if EA buys up a lot of it. But as it was going to be EA would have probably bought it all and most of the games wouldn't ever get see the light of day again.

[quote name='Motoki']I saw that and am thinking about getting it too. Because, you know, I haven't spent enough money already on games recently. :p I didn't post my haul because I think those things are like baby pictures - everyone wants to show theirs but no one else really cares - but let's just say it was not insubstantial.[/QUOTE]
LOL... I won't haul neither. But must say is around 20 games ;) (the kids! The kids need the games! The voices needs games too!)

The game itself seems to be really polarizing with some people really liking it and others being disappointed because when they compare it to the older games, but the general concensus on bugs and issues seems to be that after patches everything is quite playable.

That's why I'm asking here... I won't compare it with JA2, as I won't compare FO2 with FO3... (I know, bad example) ; but $5 for the game and expansion is awesome, if the game is fun and playable (in that order)

[quote name='Motoki'] I didn't post my haul because I think those things are like baby pictures - everyone wants to show theirs but no one else really cares - but let's just say it was not insubstantial.[/QUOTE]

Well said. :applause:

[quote name='Woocls']Bad news? This is great news. It means someone won't buy THQ for the Saints Row brand and ignore everything else. (look at poor Rare...) This way each franchise will be picked up by someone willing to actually continue that franchise. Yeah it'll suck if EA buys up a lot of it. But as it was going to be EA would have probably bought it all and most of the games wouldn't ever get see the light of day again.[/QUOTE]

True as long as they purchase the franchise with the intent of continuing it. There is nothing stopping EA from, say, buying Saints Row simply to remove it from Steam and offer it exclusively on Origin. Or any other company buying the franchise merely for the residuals. Sure it's not likely, but it could happen.

[quote name='Woocls']Bad news? This is great news. It means someone won't buy THQ for the Saints Row brand and ignore everything else. (look at poor Rare...) This way each franchise will be picked up by someone willing to actually continue that franchise. Yeah it'll suck if EA buys up a lot of it. But as it was going to be EA would have probably bought it all and most of the games wouldn't ever get see the light of day again.[/QUOTE]
Right now I am worried about the Warhammer 40k license. I mean yeah the other licenses can have full freedom but I am concerned that somebody buys up Warhammer and just turns it into a terrible Gears of War knockoff (with cover) and never makes a RTS game again. Unless they are allowed to piece off Warhammer 40K. Same goes for Metro, I don't want to see Metro turn into a shitty generic shooter. Hate to say it, but THQ had a lot of good franchises that were different like Metro, Warhammer, Darksiders, Red Faction.

The good thing for me is I own everything I could want THQ on Steam so I am fine if they do get removed, but it would be sad to see EA buy up shit and just bastardize everything.

But now I'm curious about Motoki's insubstantial baby.

16lbs 4oz?
Different coloured eyes?
Four arms?
Speaks Portuguese?

ANSWERS!!!

As for hauls, I spent more than I thought I did but around a third was on gifts so I'm cool with that. Means I spent less on me == no need for self guilt trips.

LOGIC.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3846854/thq-franchises-may-be-sold-title-by-title

Seriously hope EA doesn't have the high bid on anything, that would make me sad[/QUOTE]

What I am confused about by this is if they aren't being sold in their whole series and simply title by title how is future development going to work? Is the IP being sold off separately as well or is attached to the games? I did not read the full thing in case it was answered in it.

[quote name='Mooby']Weren't the rights to Warhammer already revoked and given to Creative Assembly?[/QUOTE]
Warhammer =/= Warhammer 40k

[quote name='Mooby']Weren't the rights to Warhammer already revoked and given to Creative Assembly?[/QUOTE]
I just searched this. I guess they were. I own every Total War game on Steam (except for the Shogun 2 expansion). Haven't played one, and didn't know who Creative Assembly is until now :lol:.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3846854/thq-franchises-may-be-sold-title-by-title

Seriously hope EA doesn't have the high bid on anything, that would make me sad[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'm happy that it's publishers rather than some shady private equity firm that might just dump terrible product and burn the studios/franchises.

Wall Street evil is a totally different level of evil than publishers. Even EA takes at least a few years before ruining a studio. Plus, they'd probably protect the quality of Saints Row and/or South Park as they don't really have similar products and both are really nice IP.

[quote name='Kaltic']

Warhammer =/= Warhammer 40k[/QUOTE]

Did THQ have the rights to both? I mean I know Warhammer is different than 40k but would they be sold separately?

[quote name='Motoki']I saw that and am thinking about getting it too. Because, you know, I haven't spent enough money already on games recently. :p I didn't post my haul because I think those things are like baby pictures - everyone wants to show theirs but no one else really cares - but let's just say it was not insubstantial.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that thread! ...now I'm considering BiA (le sigh). Ah, that's what it's about. I get nothing personally from posting a "my haul" list, and putting one together is a bit of a PITA.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I just searched this. I guess they were. I own every Total War game on Steam (except for the Shogun 2 expansion). Haven't played one, and didn't know who Creative Assembly is until now :lol:.[/QUOTE]

I was playing Viking the Battle for Asgard and noticed Creative Assembly, it kinda blew my mind. The Total War guys produced this hack-n-slash.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Did THQ have the rights to both? I mean I know Warhammer is different than 40k but would they be sold separately?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Warhammer 40K is a different license than Warhammer. THQ has had the 40K license for a while, while EA had the fantasy license up until recently.

Space Hulk is a third license, even though it's based on 40K.

Random thought: Perhaps Valve might buy a franchise or two. Most of 'their' games were simply cases of them buying small developers or polishing mods: TF2, L4D, Portal, DOTA 2, etc.

[quote name='Mooby']Random thought: Perhaps Valve might buy a franchise or two. Most of 'their' games were simply cases of them buying small developers or polishing mods: TF2, L4D, Portal, DOTA 2, etc.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't thought of that, but it'd be pretty sweet!

[quote name='Mooby']Random thought: Perhaps Valve might buy a franchise or two. Most of 'their' games were simply cases of them buying small developers or polishing mods: TF2, L4D, Portal, DOTA 2, etc.[/QUOTE]

If Valve picked up 40k and folded Relic into the company, that would be amazing.

After all, they don't have an RTS franchise...

[quote name='jshackles']Unless you count the #1 game being played on Steam right now

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

:D[/QUOTE]

I'm more shocked my Football Manager 2013 being a very strong #2. I mean football is globaly popular and the FIFA games did very well globally, but I think this is just a management sim.

Valve is seeming to move more toward the F2P cash cow.

[quote name='asheskitty']I'm more shocked my Football Manager 2013 being a very strong #2. I mean football is globaly popular and the FIFA games did very well globally, but I think this is just a management sim.

Valve is seeming to move more toward the F2P cash cow.[/QUOTE]

I was actually kind of surprised by this too. My guess is that most of the usual COD crowd is probably at work as it's before 5pm in most places in the US right now...

[quote name='Woocls']Um? Dota? That's not an RTS. That's barely a strategy game and more of a PVP Hack n' Slash. And I didn't realize that many people even OWNED that football manager game.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it but I thought it was just a redone mod for Warcraft III? I was going by the wikipedia article here which seems to indicate it's a RTS / RPG hybrid.

[quote name='jshackles']I was actually kind of surprised by this too. My guess is that most of the usual COD crowd is probably at work as it's before 5pm in most places in the US right now...

I haven't played it but I thought it was just a redone mod for Warcraft III? I was going by the wikipedia article here which seems to indicate it's a RTS / RPG hybrid.[/QUOTE]
It is an RTS mod but the mod stripped it of all the RTS elements and turned it into it's own type of game.

[quote name='jshackles']I was actually kind of surprised by this too. My guess is that most of the usual COD crowd is probably at work as it's before 5pm in most places in the US right now...
[/QUOTE]
You greatly underestimate the desire for middling-aged men to pretend that they're the next Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho. It works because everybody - EVERYBODY - wants to have their local soccer team play like Barcelona. Or Stoke City (I tried that once, it was messy). It blurs the line between fantasy and reality and provides escapism that few other titles can (you can't really slaughter hundreds of orcs, but you can manage a football team, maybe, just maybe). And it's played my what you'd consider to be non-gamers (they probably don't even know Steam is running in the background).

Common question from a friend on Twitter or Facebook: "Where can I get a cheap laptop? All I need it for is iTunes and Football Manager."

[quote name='Genocidal']The term for that genre is MOBA.[/QUOTE]

Weird, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was always under the impression that DotA was close to traditional RTS.

[quote name='Larce80']hmm alright lets get a fund started and buy a franchise, which one we goin after?
I vote saints row![/QUOTE]

That's one of their more valuable licenses. Maybe we can buy away the CheapyD likeness and get him added to Mission Runway as a patch.

[quote name='asheskitty']Weird, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was always under the impression that DotA was close to traditional RTS.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Thanks guys! :D

[quote name='Larce80']hmm alright lets get a fund started and buy a franchise, which one we goin after?
I vote saints row![/QUOTE]
Screw that... that one's going to be expensive. Let's get Titan Quest!

Hah, I wonder if anyone will actually buy the Titan Quest IP. Would seem fairly worthless now since the original developers will release Grim Dawn in about a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back