The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno. I still prefer Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES to the new ones, lol.

I'm someone who's generally against the graphics of the new Street Fighters. High quality spriting is a dying art, that's why I'm stoked that Guilty Gear X2 #Reload is on sale on GOG for $2.39. :D

a15cf1b7deabe269136c5510cbe7a920ff46dbc0.jpg

It even has traps!

[quote name='spoderman']Nice deal on Dead Rising 2. If you buy both DR2 and DR2 OTR, the price is about the same as Steam's was during the winter sale, but it'll be missing the DLC.

Lost Planet 2 is tempting, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

What was the combo price for the Winter Sale? Can't believe I missed it. But from what people said, it doesn't seem too important to have both DR2 and OTR. I'm thinking of going OTR just for the un-restricted sandbox.

[quote name='Needles-Kane']What was the combo price for the Winter Sale? Can't believe I missed it. But from what people said, it doesn't seem too important to have both DR2 and OTR. I'm thinking of going OTR just for the un-restricted sandbox.[/QUOTE]
Both games, all DLC for $9.99. It was the very definition of an anomaly in Capcom sales.

EDIT: You're in luck.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Both games, all DLC for $9.99. It was the very definition of an anomaly in Capcom sales.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is bizaare, thanks. I guess if OTR and DR2 are so similar I feel alright getting OTR for $6 with 4 in my pocket for something else. Though it makes me a little concerned with how problematic the game seems from the Steam forums though.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Throw a dart at all of those games you have only spent 0.3-2hours on and you have about a 60% shot of hitting something I would tell you to finish right away.[/QUOTE]

Do I own any games that are short? Like finish in 4 hours short?

[quote name='Needles-Kane']Wow, that is bizaare, thanks. I guess if OTR and DR2 are so similar I feel alright getting OTR for $6 with 4 in my pocket for something else. Though it makes me a little concerned with how problematic the game seems from the Steam forums though.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. OTR sounds better because it has the photography system while DR2 doesn't, and since the DLC doesn't seem that big of a deal, it's a good purchase to just grab OTR.

I'm picky though and just want everything, lol.

[quote name='Flowette']You haven't played Arkham Asylum?

FO' SHAME.[/QUOTE]
y u invert colorz on ur avatar

[quote name='Idiotekque']Dunno. I still prefer Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES to the new ones, lol.

I'm someone who's generally against the graphics of the new Street Fighters. High quality spriting is a dying art, that's why I'm stoked that Guilty Gear X2 #Reload is on sale on GOG for $2.39. :D
a15cf1b7deabe269136c5510cbe7a920ff46dbc0.jpg

It even has traps!
[/QUOTE]

This! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who hates the SFIV graphics.

[quote name='Needles-Kane']Wow, that is bizaare, thanks. I guess if OTR and DR2 are so similar I feel alright getting OTR for $6 with 4 in my pocket for something else. Though it makes me a little concerned with how problematic the game seems from the Steam forums though.[/QUOTE]

I don't know the complaints on the steam forums. OTR2 runs okay/fine on my venerable Phenom II X3 720 BE @ 3.2GHz & GTX 260, I think I dropped the AA to 4x (maybe 2x) MSAA to improve my framerate.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Do I own any games that are short? Like finish in 4 hours short?[/QUOTE]

VVVVVV can be completed in less than 2 hours. It's a cakewalk. Enjoy it.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Dunno. I still prefer Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES to the new ones, lol.

It even has traps![/QUOTE]

Holy crap! Thanks! I had no idea this was even available on PC.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Throw a dart at all of those games you have only spent 0.3-2hours on and you have about a 60% shot of hitting something I would tell you to finish right away.[/QUOTE]
This sounds like a fun game to play with one's PS2 library.

250px-DMC2FrontCover.jpg

I'm sure I should finish this one.

There's really no point in buying DR2 -- just get OTR. I got it because the pack was $10 with the OTR DLC (which is probably superfluous, anyway). If that 20% off promo stacks then $6 for OTR is the better deal.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I have too big of a backlog. Can you guys help a fellow CAG out by deciding which game I should play?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aShufflinZombie/[/QUOTE]

Portal (Short game)
Half-Life (Have you really not played this?)
BioShock
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Borderlands
Left 4 Dead 2 (Easily broken up into chapters)
Assassin's Creed II
The Darkness II (Short game)
Assassin's Creed Revelations
The Elder Scrolls (Both of the ones you have)

[quote name='Flowette']You haven't played Arkham Asylum?

FO' SHAME.[/QUOTE]

Flow, maybe they played it on consoles and double dipped (like many) or tripled dipped (like me :whistle2:s).

[quote name='EliotAndrews']This sounds like a fun game to play with one's PS2 library.

250px-DMC2FrontCover.jpg

I'm sure I should finish this one.[/QUOTE]

The second one isn't as good as the first one :)

So, is it the same case as with lost planet 2? Can you even get the first one on Steam?

[quote name='mjontrix']The second one isn't as good as the first one :)

So, is it the same case as with lost planet 2? Can you even get the first one on Steam?[/QUOTE]
According to the big activation list on steam support, you can activate it.
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
However I don't know where to buy it from unless you want to get it retail, which may or may not be used.
And for some reason I didn't think it was on Steam.

[quote name='mjontrix']The second one isn't as good as the first one :)

So, is it the same case as with lost planet 2? Can you even get the first one on Steam?[/QUOTE]

There are two versions of the first available on steam. No idea what the difference is.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']This sounds like a fun game to play with one's PS2 library.

250px-DMC2FrontCover.jpg

I'm sure I should finish this one.[/QUOTE]

DMC 2 is AWFUL! Don't bother (but, if you do play it, just press square to win). play DMC 3 instead. (in fact, play it twice than play 2)

[quote name='voken']DMC 2 is AWFUL! Don't bother (but, if you do play it, just press square to win). play DMC 3 instead. (in fact, play it twice than play 2)[/QUOTE]

Wasn't DMC 3 one of the most difficult games of all times? I only played DMC 2 back then (don't know if a bad game, only played an hour or so and was VERY boring)... and just bought DMC 4 from GMG... that one is GREAT. I should try DMC 3 after ;)

[quote name='Mooby']There's really no point in buying DR2 -- just get OTR. I got it because the pack was $10 with the OTR DLC (which is probably superfluous, anyway). If that 20% off promo stacks then $6 for OTR is the better deal.[/QUOTE]

I remain of the opinion that DR2 is a better experience because DR2's plot is better. And sandbox mode has no value to me because the basic zombie killing in DR isn't worth sticking around for. It's the challenge of the time limit that makes the game worth it to me. Plus, the added zone and bosses and one reworked boss just aren't good enough to make up for the loss of that good boss.

But the games are TOO similar, such that it's practically pointless to play them both.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']http://store.steampowered.com/app/227580/

Anybody play that? Looks like bundle fodder, but looks like it might be entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Actually just spent the last 5 or so hours with it. It's probably bundle fodder but looking at it, thought it would scratch an itch I had at that particular moment, and it did.

It's a little bit Chuzzle a little bit Puzzle Quest but much more manic than either. The game is essentially grinding away in the dungeon until you build up enough gold/wood/stone to continue your upgrades and get further in. Long before I finished upgrading my armor I had a run that came up with 9.7 million so I figured it should be a cakewalk to finish at that point, but I still haven't managed to get the 10 million needed to finish the game. The end game is very much a matter of just getting a lucky run plus a good board which can end up being mildly frustrating but it really doesn't get in the way of the addictiveness.

That's the thing with it, since each run only lasts a couple minutes, there's a very strong "One more run" aspect which can easily make the hours disappear on you. You're always just a couple runs away from the next upgrade, and once you've finished all your upgrades, it's just one more try to finish the game.

It will probably show up in a bundle at some point, but if it looks like something you want to play right now, I'd say it's worth it for the price. Gave me a solid day's entertainment so far, and I still need to settle in and get that final run to clear the game at some point.

[quote name='juanjava']Wasn't DMC 3 one of the most difficult games of all times? I only played DMC 2 back then (don't know if a bad game, only played an hour or so and was VERY boring)... and just bought DMC 4 from GMG... that one is GREAT. I should try DMC 3 after ;)[/QUOTE]

Not if you get the special edition. It's much much much easier than the original DMC3. I raced through DMC3 so I could lead right into DMC4, and oops, it's a prequel. It's still definitely worth playing.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Not if you get the special edition. It's much much much easier than the original DMC3. I raced through DMC3 so I could lead right into DMC4, and oops, it's a prequel. It's still definitely worth playing.[/QUOTE]

More easier? That can't be right - Try Dante must die difficulty then come back to me :)

[quote name='dfg']Like in the throne room, amirite?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Never really cared for 'em or their cow motif.

gateway-cow.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I see what both of you did there.

[quote name='Corpekata']Not sure if posted here but looks like Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC is finally hitting PC on Feb 5th.[/QUOTE]

It's about time. I don't even know what it entails, nor will I buy it without a heavy discount, but it just feels like it's been forever since the XBox exclusive release.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Bought Lego LOTR. I really did not want to buy it yet but my fucking friend was saying how he likes it and it was $8.16 on GMG. I will get to it sometime.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed this, too, for my wife. Had a $2 referral credit, so $6.16 out of pocket. From what I've seen, the level of humor in the LEGO Popular Franchise series of games has been top-notch, and she's a LotR fan. Looking forward to co-op play.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I have too big of a backlog. Can you guys help a fellow CAG out by deciding which game I should play?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aShufflinZombie/[/QUOTE]
Portal 1 is probably about 3-4 hours
Spec OPs the Line is 5-7 depending on what difficulty and if you scour for all the intel items collectibles, I notice you started it, keep with it, it gets amazing at the 2 hour mark or so.
Just Cause 2 is fairly long but hella fun (18-20 hours for main story missions, 80+ hours to get all the collectables and free all the villages/towns/cities.

I'd say go with one of those.
[quote name='juanjava']Wasn't DMC 3 one of the most difficult games of all times? I only played DMC 2 back then (don't know if a bad game, only played an hour or so and was VERY boring)... and just bought DMC 4 from GMG... that one is GREAT. I should try DMC 3 after ;)[/QUOTE]
Original DMC3 was hard, DMC3: SE made things a lot easier/less tedious. Original DMC3 was kinda Demon's Souls hard, difficult to get going but once you get past the first boss and get your second weapon the difficulty curve starts to ramp down.

Anybody know how to create an appmanifest file? I forgot mine on another computer, and now my game wants to redownload.

I might just fork over 20$ for Sacred 2 Gold.

And BTW, Soldak is a treasure trove of goodies. I'm interested in a game called Drox Operative. and then Din's Curse popped up to. Cool developer.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Anybody know how to create an appmanifest file? I forgot mine on another computer, and now my game wants to redownload.[/QUOTE]
What game?

[quote name='mjontrix']More easier? That can't be right - Try Dante must die difficulty then come back to me :)[/QUOTE]

The Special Edition had its difficulty levels lowered. Easy Mode in DMC3 is Normal Mode in DMC3:SE, etc., etc. Hard Mode is "Very Hard Mode". So yes, DMC:SE is easier than DMC3. I'd imagine since he's concerned with the game being difficult, he be won't playing on the hardest difficulty level.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Just Cause 2 is fairly long but hella fun (18-20 hours for main story missions, 80+ hours to get all the collectables and free all the villages/towns/cities.[/QUOTE]
Wait, people finish Just Cause 2? I assumed everyone played about four missions and then started just lashing cars to helicopters and going on fire truck rampages through the city.

Does anyone know when Terraria could have another price drop? I was going to buy it but a friend of mine told me that it was $5 not so long ago and it even hit $2.50 as well but now it costs $10 and I am not sure if it is worth the $10. Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask ):

[quote name='MysterD']Spec Ops: The Line
Sleeping Dogs
Saints Row: The Third
The Witcher 2
Deus Ex: Human Rev
Batman AA + AC
Half-Life series
Borderlands[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely throw some palate cleansers in the mix there. 7 third person shooter/action games in a row and you'll never want to play one again.

[quote name='Preedatore']I'd definitely throw some palate cleansers in the mix there. 7 third person shooter/action games in a row and you'll never want to play one again.[/QUOTE]

Add to that list:
Skyrim
Driver: San Fran
Portal
Bully

[quote name='Ashlee']Does anyone know when Terraria could have another price drop? I was going to buy it but a friend of mine told me that it was $5 not so long ago and it even hit $2.50 as well but now it costs $10 and I am not sure if it is worth the $10. Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask ):[/QUOTE]

It's not on sale right now, so it's $10. Steam puts things on sale all the time (every day, one game goes on sale) so the next time it's on sale it'll be either 50% or 75% off, possibly more. I would say that if you can wait, try to wait until then.

I'll also say that I've played it almost 90 hours, so even at $10 it's a pretty good deal.

[quote name='Ashlee']Does anyone know when Terraria could have another price drop? I was going to buy it but a friend of mine told me that it was $5 not so long ago and it even hit $2.50 as well but now it costs $10 and I am not sure if it is worth the $10. Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask ):[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jshackles']It's not on sale right now, so it's $10. Steam puts things on sale all the time (every day, one game goes on sale) so the next time it's on sale it'll be either 50% or 75% off, possibly more. I would say that if you can wait, try to wait until then.

I'll also say that I've played it almost 90 hours, so even at $10 it's a pretty good deal.[/QUOTE]

I have nearly 170 hours in the game thanks to playing it forever solo and then starting anew in co-op with my wife. It's an easy way to lose an entire weekend with a "one more turn" ("one more mining run") mentality.

The recent console release added content. If you're willing to go full price, you might consider getting it on PSN or XBL for that reason. I haven't heard of any plans to add the new stuff to the PC version. That said, if that were done, it's quite likely it would go on sale at that time as a promotion.

Thanks for the info guys :) I didn't know that about the steam prices deals. I will probably wait a little for, hopefully, a 50 off discount :) By the way, Is there an official release date for the console version already? I read March but I am not sure :/

Oh, you're right. I thought the console releases for Terraria had already occurred. Looks like they're saying "as early as the end of February" now.

But I agree with the decision to wait.

Daily Deal is Stealth Bastard Deluxe, 50% off. $4.99 or $6.49 with soundtrack.

Today's deal is Stealth Bastard Deluxe at 50% off ($4.99 or $6.49 with soundtrack)

Stealth games are awesome. Hiding from The Man, skulking in shadows, the thrill of infiltration. But why do they have to be so... slow? That was the question that spawned Stealth Bastard, the fast-paced, nail-biting antidote to tippy-toed sneaking simulators that the world had so desperately been craving.
Genre: Action, Indie, Platformer

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is Stealth Bastard Deluxe at 50% off ($4.99 or $6.49 with soundtrack)

Stealth games are awesome. Hiding from The Man, skulking in shadows, the thrill of infiltration. But why do they have to be so... slow? That was the question that spawned Stealth Bastard, the fast-paced, nail-biting antidote to tippy-toed sneaking simulators that the world had so desperately been craving.
Genre: Action, Indie, Platformer[/QUOTE]

I want this game bad but fear it being in a bundle

[quote name='Detruire']What game?[/QUOTE]

The Secret World. I just grabbed the main "The Secret World" folder and forgot the appmanifest file.

Huh. Seems I got it to work. I grabbed another appmanifest file, changed appd numbers, install folder, changed state flags to 4 and zeored other fields like download/install size. Deleted the appupdatestats.blob, and now it shows as installed. Just need to copy over the files. Sinister it worked.

Addictive games like Terraria: Minecraft, The Sims 3, New Vegas, X2 even though i have to still play it. I will find more!
I'd say that Terraria is basically a metroidvania with some awesome Diablo like qualities. cool link on metroidvanias: http://www.411mania.com/games/columns/268233/The-8-Ball-1.01.13:-Top-8-Metroidvania-Games.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back