The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MysterD']I have Riddick: Dark Athena from Retail DVD.
Did they ever officially remove the DRM from retail version in a patch?

EDIT:

I so wish R* would bring RDR to the PC....

EDIT 2:

R* seems to like/want to stock-up on DRM levels.

Max Payne 3 PC & LA Noire PC = requires RSC + GameShield DRM.
GTA4 PC + EFLC PC = requires RSC + Securom DRM + G4WL.

Buy a Steam-version of any of those - ALSO add Steam DRM on top.
Seriously - on the Steam-version, there's NO NEED for them keeping the GameShield DRM and/or Securom DRM active - Steam does DRM just fine in their versions.[/QUOTE]

Do you know why rdr didn't get a pc release? R* decided that there was not enough support. Do you know why pc gamers don't buy their games until they are cheap, DRM. I don't mind one level of drm, but that's enough. I had spend three hours messing with the DRM in order to get it to get GTA IV to run. 3 hours. /END RANT

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Do you know why rdr didn't get a pc release? R* decided that there was not enough support. Do you know why pc gamers don't buy their games until they are cheap, DRM. I don't mind one level of drm, but that's enough. I had spend three hours messing with the DRM in order to get it to get GTA IV to run. 3 hours. /END RANT[/QUOTE]

Do you know why GTA4 PC and many other R* games didn't sell as well on the PC? B/c they (Rockstar) took a while to port it - and A LOT already bought it on the consoles.
Helps if you add or bundle extra content, if you're going to port a game late to a certain platform.

If R* is so worried about piracy and DRM, why don't they just buy into the fact that Steam owns a ton of the digital distribution PC market and just make their games w/ one DRM by choosing only Steam?

EDIT:
I agree w/ you on DRM layers - I surely don't want to tolerate numerous DRM's plastered on top of each other for $40-60.

EDIT 2:
I think a lot of business practices make PC gamers not want to buy games ASAP.
DLC milking and often the later re-released Ultimate Editions w/ ALL DLC don't make me want to buy many games ASAP, as well.
Plus, you got tons of digital distributors (Steam, Gamersgate, GameStop PC App, GameFly, Amazon DVG, etc) fighting over the PC market and slashing prices so fast, so quickly & so often - you might as well often wait a few weeks to a few months for the game to get a price-drop.

Also, before Max Payne 3 PC, R* has a history of releasing poor-performing PC ports that most rigs can't handle (GTA3 PC & GTA4 PC) and/or technically botched-ports (Bully PC). It's sometimes best to wait for a few patches to be behind a R* PC port, before you go and buy one.

I remembered seeing people in this thread wanting to buy Alpha Protocol. It is now $3.74 at GMG. Combining with the 20%off coupon, it comes down to $3.00. Binary Domain is $5.00 after applying coupon. If you are new to GMG, buying via a referrer link will get you $2.00 credit if you spend more than $5.00. PM me is you need a referrer link.

Alpha Protocol is a fantastic RPG.

Just look up a decent build before you start playing. There are a few character builds in that game that make life extremely difficult for the player (much the way they did for boss fights in Deus Ex: HR).

Tried Cities In Motion today.

15 minutes into the tutorial I am about ready to preorder the new Sim City and not play this ever again :lol:.

I also tried playing through The Darkness 2. I had to stop because hearing Stay Away From The Light every 3 seconds was driving me crazy, lol. I mean I love the story, atmosphere, but the gameplay in the later levels was annoying me. Plus the constant telling me to get away from the light. I might go back and finish it, idk.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Tried Cities In Motion today.

15 minutes into the tutorial I am about ready to preorder the new Sim City and not play this ever again :lol:.[/QUOTE]
Cities in Motion is supposed to be closer to Transport Tycoon than to Sim City.

[quote name='Detruire']Cities in Motion is supposed to be closer to Transport Tycoon than to Sim City.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it does that job well, and I respect the game it is. I got it from an indie bundle so I thought I would try it. It's a good game, just not my thing. I would rather the whole City Building aspect.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Alpha Protocol is a fantastic RPG.

Just look up a decent build before you start playing. There are a few character builds in that game that make life extremely difficult for the player (much the way they did for boss fights in Deus Ex: HR).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, AP is just quite unbalanced in certain regards.

Namely, there's a few overpowered weapon skills in there (assault rifles) and some weapons are just WAY under-powered (pistols).
That Mark-and-Execute skill is way overpowered, as well.

AP also likes to use dice-rolls for hit & miss, as well - which should be a "No-no" in a game that has shooter-style controls; especially in games released after Mass Effect 2.

This shouldn't stop you from playing AP. AP has some great characters (such as Steven Heck); and the game is absolutely fantastic w/ making your choices matter to change the way the game actually plays out and its actual final outcome.

[quote name='MysterD']Yeah, AP is just quite unbalanced in certain regards.

Namely, there's a few overpowered weapon skills in there (assault rifles) and some weapons are just WAY under-powered (pistols).
That Mark-and-Execute skill is way overpowered, as well.

AP also likes to use dice-rolls for hit & miss, as well - which should be a "No-no" in a game that has shooter-style controls; especially in games released after Mass Effect 2.

This shouldn't stop you from playing AP. AP has some great characters (such as Steven Heck); and the game is absolutely fantastic w/ making your choices matter to change the way the game actually plays out and its actual final outcome.[/QUOTE]

Except while the pistol is terrible when used normally, the Chain Shot skill (probably what you mean by the mark and execute) is without question the strongest thing in the game, and will kill any enemy in one go when maxed out, including the final boss. Maybe that took two chain shots. I just remember it being totally trivial.

Stealth is overpowered, with the extreme exception that it's useless against bosses.

The whole thing is sort of a buggy mess, but the story and the way choices are laid out is super cool. Would definitely recommend it for 3 bucks.

Hey everyone just a quick update on Enhanced Steam. I've updated it to version 2.1, which adds DLC categorization. If you're browsing a DLC page, you'll see a "DLC Details" box on the right hand side. There is also a link there you can click to suggest your own categories for it to go in. Any help you guys can provide will be appreciated!

4YFzNsB.png

[quote name='mjontrix']Buy it, but then get the 'DRM-FREE' version.[/QUOTE]

I've bought two Penny Arcade games, where do I get the DRM-free version? Hadn't heard of this.

I don't believe he's talking about the Penny-Arcade branded games. He seems to be suggesting that, within the Penny-Arcade forum community, they condone buying a DRM-laden game and then downloading the cracked version to play instead.

Well, it's two hours until the next midweek!

D&D Ultimate doesn't seem to be Steam? Is this a good price? Is this the same thing that glitched on Gamersgate for less than $10?

[quote name='soulkyo']It's not Steam. This is what appears on the description:

"GameStop App must be installed in order to download software."

Also, Sonic Games on sale on GMG.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/sega-deals-sonic/[/QUOTE]

The gamestop app doesn't predict steam/not steam, they will send the registration code in the purchase email, which if it is a steam redeemable code bypasses the client completely. (I did this with skyrim for instance)

[quote name='stoned99']The gamestop app doesn't predict steam/not steam, they will send the registration code in the purchase email, which if it is a steam redeemable code bypasses the client completely. (I did this with skyrim for instance)[/QUOTE]

It's also very hit or miss about whether or not you will get your Steam key in the email. Many people have reported they do not get the key in the email and actually have to DL and install the Gamestop App to see their Steam keys.

[quote name='Flowette']Oi!

Less o' that tongue lass, I'll set me whippet on yer.[/QUOTE]

Are you taking the piss? ^_~

[quote name='Preedatore']Because this thread has been silent way too long...

D&D Ultimate DD going on sale for $11.99 @ Gamestop tomorrow.

Thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336781 [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up.

[quote name='Syntax Error']The GamersGate glitch was the Anthology: Master Collection. This one seems to be the Master Collection plus Neverwinter Nights collection.[/QUOTE]

The D&D Anthology" Master Collection on GG was legit $7 in late Feb 2012 and glitched down to $5 briefly during one of big holiday glitches (otherwise $10). The GG version of the D&D Anthology Master Collection is DRM-FREE. I speculate that all versions of it are DRM-FREE.

[quote name='stoned99']The gamestop app doesn't predict steam/not steam, they will send the registration code in the purchase email, which if it is a steam redeemable code bypasses the client completely. (I did this with skyrim for instance)[/QUOTE]

When was this that they emailed you your Skyrim key? Word around forums and my experience this fall is that you now need the Gamestop App to retrieve your steam keys?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']It's also very hit or miss about whether or not you will get your Steam key in the email. Many people have reported they do not get the key in the email and actually have to DL and install the Gamestop App to see their Steam keys.[/QUOTE]
Yep, this happened to me and when I complained they said it's against their policy to provide keys by email, that they never do it. Even though they sent it via email to other people for the same game on the same day. I'm never shopping there again, not installing that crap. After I uninstalled it I kept finding remnants of it in all different folders over the next few weeks.

Midweek Deals

LEGO Lord of the Rings - 50% off ($14.99)
Sims 3 - 75% off base game ($7.50)
Sims 3 Expansions - 66% off ($6.79 - $13.59)

Daily Deal

Terraria - 75% off ($2.49)

Wow, that's a large dump of Borderlands 2 skins.

I'm about to pick up that Sonic Racing game from GMG, played the demo on my 360 and it evokes memories of CTR, but isn't as good as that game is (to me). I'm aware of the lack of online multiplayer in the PC version, but is there anything else I should be wary of before I pick it up?

[quote name='BoringPat']I remembered seeing people in this thread wanting to buy Alpha Protocol. It is now $3.74 at GMG. Combining with the 20%off coupon, it comes down to $3.00. Binary Domain is $5.00 after applying coupon. If you are new to GMG, buying via a referrer link will get you $2.00 credit if you spend more than $5.00. PM me is you need a referrer link.[/QUOTE]

Dang missed em. Need to stay up better on Amazon/GG/GMG/Steam.
Anyways. Far Cry 3 over at amazon steam version for 30$. Still seems a bit too pricey for me. I'll prolly bite at 20$.
GMG is having a Sonic deal. All the sonic games for ~21. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 I'm looking to pickup. You can also get stuff individually.
Tomorrow will be the Amazon Sega pack with Nights into Dreams subbed in for Sonic Adventure 1.

Daily is Terraria. For anyone who has not played Terraria. Buy it and buy it NOW. Its back to 75%. Also its probably my favorite game of the past 3 years. I've played multiple times but can never beat the Wall of Flesh on my own. Sense of exploration, crafting, building, with some nice ARPG loot collecting elements thrown in.

How do other people stay up on GMG? I missed Alpha Protocal. I'm RSS'ed to their blog but it didn't show up there. I guess just check the GMG thread here with more frequency?

Thoughts on Sims 3 stuff packs? Far Cry 3 for 30$? Borderlands 2 and XCOM came down way faster than Far Cry is.

[quote name='asheskitty']
The D&D Anthology" Master Collection on GG was legit $7 in late Feb 2012 and glitched down to $5 briefly during one of big holiday glitches (otherwise $10). The GG version of the D&D Anthology Master Collection is DRM-FREE. I speculate that all versions of it are DRM-FREE.
[/QUOTE]

If I'm remembering correctly, the GG versions from the anthology are identical to the separate games as they're sold on GOG, so I would also suspect that all versions are DRM-Free.

[quote name='Eldredpe']If I'm remembering correctly, the GG versions from the anthology are identical to the separate games as they're sold on GOG, so I would also suspect that all versions are DRM-Free.[/QUOTE]

I have the GG Anthology and can confirm the games are DRM free.

[quote name='plft']Wow, that's a large dump of Borderlands 2 skins.

I'm about to pick up that Sonic Racing game from GMG, played the demo on my 360 and it evokes memories of CTR, but isn't as good as that game is (to me). I'm aware of the lack of online multiplayer in the PC version, but is there anything else I should be wary of before I pick it up?[/QUOTE]

The new version will be out in 9 days with online multiplayer. If you can find someone with a GamersGate discount hosting a 4-pack, you can get a copy for $16 or so. Otherwise, the PC version of the original is missing a DLC car or two.

[quote name='Genocidal']The new version will be out in 9 days with online multiplayer. If you can find someone with a GamersGate discount hosting a 4-pack, you can get a copy for $16 or so. Otherwise, the PC version of the original is missing a DLC car or two.[/QUOTE]
$3 is a lot better than $16. Picked up the original.

Now to figure out whether any of the other Sonic games are worth picking up.

[quote name='sunasun']Has anyone gotten Doom Rails to work on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit?[/QUOTE]

This is the million dollar question! Where is our compatibility expert on the forum?

[quote name='Flowette']I seem to be talking myself into buying this. Looks like it'll be a hoot in multiplayer mode. I need to know if it's any good as a solo game though (I suspect not).[/QUOTE]

I already grabbed a 4-pack and will be playing it exclusively with other people. So it should be fun. Just hope I can get the third person I gifted the game to show so we can actually have a dungeon master (who is probably going to be an asshole).

[quote name='plft']Wow, that's a large dump of Borderlands 2 skins.

I'm about to pick up that Sonic Racing game from GMG, played the demo on my 360 and it evokes memories of CTR, but isn't as good as that game is (to me). I'm aware of the lack of online multiplayer in the PC version, but is there anything else I should be wary of before I pick it up?[/QUOTE]

I bought Sonic Racing from Steam over Christmas. It is pretty fun, controls well, and is easily worth it. The only problem is that it has frame rate issues. Well, it did for me anyway. My computer should easily be able to run it, but after I did a little research, I found out that it was just poor programming on Sega's part. Here's a quote from, I believe, a programmer...

"The truth is actually a lot simpler. The game sometimes needs to compile shaders for effects based on the video card you have. So sometimes if it encounters a shader it's not seen before, there will be a small stutter as the video card goes 'Oh wait! This is new, one sec...'. All the new shaders get stored in a shader cache, so once you've played all courses with all characters and fired all the weapons, it'll stop happening.

If we had every PC in the world, with every combination of graphics card, driver software and DX version, we'd have pre-compiled the lot, but we don't - so this is the best compromise we could make :p"

Link... http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?318722-PC-gane-freezes-and-stutters

I also read that ATI cards had more of an issue with this. Mine is an ATI card. I ended up deleting everything that was in the ShaderCache directory, and let it start from scratch. My kids and I have played for about 14 hours so far. It still happens, but it is not nearly as frequent. My advice is to let your kids (or borrow some if you don't have any) play for the first several hours.

With all that said, I still recommend it, especially for just a few bucks.

[quote name='Draekon']I already grabbed a 4-pack and will be playing it exclusively with other people. So it should be fun. Just hope I can get the third person I gifted the game to show so we can actually have a dungeon master (who is probably going to be an asshole).[/QUOTE]

Also of note, the 4 Pack for this game comes out to $6 a person if the host has the 20% off on Gamersgate.

[quote name='hulk409']I bought Sonic Racing from Steam over Christmas. It is pretty fun, controls well, and is easily worth it. The only problem is that it has frame rate issues. Well, it did for me anyway. My computer should easily be able to run it, but after I did a little research, I found out that it was just poor programming on Sega's part. Here's a quote from, I believe, a programmer...

"The truth is actually a lot simpler. The game sometimes needs to compile shaders for effects based on the video card you have. So sometimes if it encounters a shader it's not seen before, there will be a small stutter as the video card goes 'Oh wait! This is new, one sec...'. All the new shaders get stored in a shader cache, so once you've played all courses with all characters and fired all the weapons, it'll stop happening.

If we had every PC in the world, with every combination of graphics card, driver software and DX version, we'd have pre-compiled the lot, but we don't - so this is the best compromise we could make :p"

Link... http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?318722-PC-gane-freezes-and-stutters

I also read that ATI cards had more of an issue with this. Mine is an ATI card. I ended up deleting everything that was in the ShaderCache directory, and let it start from scratch. My kids and I have played for about 14 hours so far. It still happens, but it is not nearly as frequent. My advice is to let your kids (or borrow some if you don't have any) play for the first several hours.

With all that said, I still recommend it, especially for just a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's a very common issue for many AMD cards (happens with mine too). The sequel SHOULD run better, this is a quote from the dev about the sequel (on performance issues)

Originally Posted by S0L
Now... The new engine works differently. We have a stock set of shaders that artist can use, but they're all pre-compiled. So we get a huge performance gain - and hopefully much better cross hardware compatibility. The shaders are still configurable by the artists and are created on demand, so we're not sacrificing visuals. If anything, it works better for the art team this way around as they don't need to be quite so technical.

You live and learn is the short answer here...!

[quote name='sunasun']Has anyone gotten Doom Rails to work on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit?[/QUOTE]

I've just tried with every single compatibility option and nothing. On the other hand, I ended with tons of active Doom Rails.exe processes :lol:

[quote name='soulkyo']I've just tried with every single compatibility option and nothing. In the other hand, I ended with tons of active Doom Rails.exe processes :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'd like to make you feel better and tell you Doom Rails is as bad as it looks, but it's actually a blast.

Hope Windows 8 players can find a workaround and join in on some intense 8 player rollercoaster combat action soon.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I'd like to make you feel better and tell you Doom Rails is as bad as it looks, but it's actually a blast.

Hope Windows 8 players can find a workaround and join in on some intense 8 player rollercoaster combat action soon.[/QUOTE]

I hope so too. Doom Rails looks like fun :lol:

[quote name='Preedatore']Because this thread has been silent way too long...

D&D Ultimate DD going on sale for $11.99 @ Gamestop tomorrow.

Thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336781 [/QUOTE]

Hilarious. You can drop $12 and get hundreds upon hundreds of hours of CRPG goodness.

or

You can spend $5 per module (or $12 for core books) for electronic copies of 30 year old PnP RPG goodness.

http://www.dndclassics.com/

TSR/WotC/Hasbro is beyond inept.

Not to defend WotC/Hasbro particularly, as I'm not overall fond of how they run their business, but there is nothing wrong with them digitally publishing their old tabletop materials and charging something for them. In fact, that's a big step in the right direction considering how, just a few years ago, their goal was to bury their old materials so people would buy the new edition.

And what exactly do you expect RPG PDFs's to cost? Also, comparing video game prices to tabletop RPG prices is kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

[quote name='darkling23']Not to defend WotC/Hasbro particularly, as I'm not overall fond of how they run their business, but there is nothing wrong with them digitally publishing their old tabletop materials and charging something for them. In fact, that's a big step in the right direction considering how, just a few years ago, their goal was to bury their old materials so people would buy the new edition.

And what exactly do you expect RPG PDFs's to cost? Also, comparing video game prices to tabletop RPG prices is kinda like comparing apples and oranges.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you this is a really good step in the right direction for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back