The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Eldredpe']I was playing a soldier, and I think I was largely using a sniper rifle.[/QUOTE]

Your playing the game wrong!!! Mordecai is the way to go with sniper rifle. Each character has skills that will favor a weapon set, you typically want to stay with that set for your best chances. That's not to say each character shouldn't use the other weapons though.

I solo'd Mordecai through all the DLC after playing the main game. Even using a crappy low lvl fire elemental sniper rifle I was one shotting (with crits) most standard enemies. When overwhelmed I just let my juiced up Bloodwing fly and he took out most enemies with 1 shot as well.

I can confirm that Sacred 2 shouldn't need internet access/Capsule. Capsule does usually require constant internet access... for games that can be traded in. The client checks your account once a month to see if you've traded in any games or not, and removes access to them through Capsule. That's why the constant internet connection is necessary.

If Capsule is only being used to download the game, and the game cannot be traded in, I'm relatively sure that you're not going to run into that issue with the game (hopefully).

[quote name='Preedatore']Your playing the game wrong!!! Mordecai is the way to go with sniper rifle. Each character has skills that will favor a weapon set, you typically want to stay with that set for your best chances. That's not to say each character shouldn't use the other weapons though.

I solo'd Mordecai through all the DLC after playing the main game. Even using a crappy low lvl fire elemental sniper rifle I was one shotting (with crits) most standard enemies. When overwhelmed I just let my juiced up Bloodwing fly and he took out most enemies with 1 shot as well.[/QUOTE]
Regardless of what you think you're going to use, you end up just using all of the weapons. Why? You're going to run out of ammo and need to switch.

Off-topic, which should I give a whirl first? Sleeping Dogs or Dishonored?

Even then any character should still be able to use most any weapon effectively. One thing you might have run into is that (even though quests might have been flagged normal) there is a brick-wall like resistance modifier where anything three levels or higher than you takes very little damage.

One thing about GMG is that sometimes when a game is on sale they will mark it as "No Trade In" and then a week or two later you'll actually be able to trade it in. I don't know why they do that, but sometimes they do.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']One thing about GMG is that sometimes when a game is on sale they will mark it as "No Trade In" and then a week or two later you'll actually be able to trade it in. I don't know why they do that, but sometimes they do.[/QUOTE]
Right, that's what I was thinking. I had that happen once or twice (once with High School Dreams).

So who knows...

Revolvers > snipers with Mordecai.

For the first playthrough, snipers + bloodwing works well. But eventually, it takes multiple headshots per mob to kill, and bloodwing's damage start sucking.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
Off-topic, which should I give a whirl first? Sleeping Dogs or Dishonored?[/QUOTE]

Nice, 2 of my favorite games last year!
I think I'd probably play Dishonored first, as it's a bit shorter and offers a more directed (though still quite unlinear) path to the endgame. I found the overall combat vs stealth quite fun and refreshing (I didn't like Deus Ex HR that much as a reference), and the various methods of finishing stages made for some good short-term replay.

I think Sleeping Dogs is a great game as well in its own right, though even as an open world it suffers from extremely linear story missions which start to lack variety midway through the game. I still loved the story in some ways more than Dishonored, but that's because I like HK action movies. The combat was pretty fun and the characters were believable and enjoyable, in a HK movie sort of way (not in a realistic way haha).

Both games look incredible on PC and are great experiences, so you can't go wrong with either one, in my opinion.

[quote name='imac2much']
Nice, 2 of my favorite games last year!
I think I'd probably play Dishonored first, as it's a bit shorter and offers a more directed (though still quite unlinear) path to the endgame. I found the overall combat vs stealth quite fun and refreshing (I didn't like Deus Ex HR that much as a reference), and the various methods of finishing stages made for some good short-term replay.

I think Sleeping Dogs is a great game as well in its own right, though even as an open world it suffers from extremely linear story missions which start to lack variety midway through the game. I still loved the story in some ways more than Dishonored, but that's because I like HK action movies. The combat was pretty fun and the characters were believable and enjoyable, in a HK movie sort of way (not in a realistic way haha).

Both games look incredible on PC and are great experiences, so you can't go wrong with either one, in my opinion.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, guess I'll give Dishonored a shot. (Thanks Motoki. ;))

[quote name='elessar123']Revolvers > snipers with Mordecai.

For the first playthrough, snipers + bloodwing works well. But eventually, it takes multiple headshots per mob to kill, and bloodwing's damage start sucking.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that confirmation! I was wanting to go through with a revolver/bloodwing build.

[quote name='Mooby']Even then any character should still be able to use most any weapon effectively. One thing you might have run into is that (even though quests might have been flagged normal) there is a brick-wall like resistance modifier where anything three levels or higher than you takes very little damage.[/QUOTE]

Right, the ammo limitation... also sometimes the right weapon for the job, Rakk problem? Ma, git da shotgun!

The preferred weapon mainly benefits from talents & class mod bonuses. Though playstyle comparability helps.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I can confirm that Sacred 2 shouldn't need internet access/Capsule.
Capsule does usually require constant internet access... for games that can be traded in. The client checks your account once a month to see if you've traded in any games or not, and removes access to them through Capsule. That's why the constant internet connection is necessary.

If Capsule is only being used to download the game, and the game cannot be traded in, I'm relatively sure that you're not going to run into that issue with the game (hopefully).

Regardless of what you think you're going to use, you end up just using all of the weapons. Why? You're going to run out of ammo and need to switch.
Off-topic, which should I give a whirl first? Sleeping Dogs or Dishonored?[/QUOTE]

If you have some patience, Dishonored. If you don't Sleeping Dogs. I tried to play dishonored when I lacked (pretty totally) patience and I dropped it after a few hours. Sleeping Dogs I played through when feverishly sick and it was a very welcome distraction.

Hmm, is Sleeping Dogs a good game for $10 or has it been cheaper? It looks pretty good from the various videos I've seen. Any solid mods or technical differences that I should be aware of before buying it?

I was happy with sniper rifles as my main weapon throughout my BL experience but I fear we may be hijacking too much. I'd be willing to discuss this in more detail in some Steam Group forum... perhaps even set up time to dink around with some new characters if people are so inclined.

[quote name='ilikerice01']Hmm, is Sleeping Dogs a good game for $10 or has it been cheaper? It looks pretty good from the various videos I've seen. Any solid mods or technical differences that I should be aware of before buying it?[/QUOTE]

It's been cheaper twice during a Steam and GMG price mistake (Around $4.50 on Steam, and $11.90 with $6 credit on GMG). I don't know what you mean by technical differences, but I didn't play with mods. Yes, it's a good game for $10. If you don't mind waiting, it will get cheaper though.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I was happy with sniper rifles as my main weapon throughout my BL experience but I fear we may be hijacking too much. I'd be willing to discuss this in more detail in some Steam Group forum... perhaps even set up time to dink around with some new characters if people are so inclined.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we're definitely blocking all that Binding of Issac daily discussion. =p

[quote name='asheskitty']It was on PC and Digital Download. I bought Contracts off Gamefly (at a good price) slightly before/after it got pulled. Hopefully it's simply matter of making that version available for sale again. (I seriously doubt PC will ever see an "HD" re-release, not that it should matter much for us.)[/QUOTE]

Oh yes of course that's right. Normally, they don't have to remaster games on PC since modders usually take care of that aspect.

[quote name='MysterD']I doubt it, too - as usually PC version is of the highest-quality to begin with.
It's the console-versions that normally get chopped-down (i.e. less graphic features and lower-texture quality).[/QUOTE]

That's right since there are so many talented modders.

[quote name='Motoki']So this was posted in the Indie Game Stand thread but I figure some people might not check there and it's a game that is highly likely to get Greenlit thus getting in now gets you a Steam copy later for cheap.

Cognition is the current Indie Game stand game.

http://indiegamestand.com/

It's pay what you want, with a $1 minimum to get keys (so if you want a Steam key later make sure you pay at least $1). If you beat the Average, currently $1.43, you get a soundtrack and prequel comic.

If you do Paypal and the game doesn't show up for you submit a support ticket and keep checking back as some people have had it show up for them after several hours. The issue is known by Indie Game Stand and they are working on it.[/QUOTE]

You got released! :applause: Welcome back!

Sleeping Dogs looks to be bottoming out pretty fast (along with most Squeenix games). If you don't want to play it right away I'm sure it'll be sub $10 sans glitched pricing in the next several months. Possibly even bundled with the new Hitman (that's also crashing fast) on Amazon.

[quote name='Mooby']Sleeping Dogs looks to be bottoming out pretty fast (along with most Squeenix games). If you don't want to play it right away I'm sure it'll be sub $10 sans glitched pricing in the next several months. Possibly even bundled with the new Hitman (that's also crashing fast) on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

EU PS+ just got it for free.

They get all the nicest stuff...

Sort of wondering what's up with Square. Also makes me wonder why anyone would preorder a game for $35+ when they are dropping to $10-15 within four or five months with relative frequency these days.

[quote name='Mooby']Sort of wondering what's up with Square. Also makes me wonder why anyone would preorder a game for $35+ when they are dropping to $10-15 within four or five months with relative frequency these days.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because most people who pre-order are shallow and only play the latest games. ;) Just musing.

[quote name='Mooby']Sleeping Dogs looks to be bottoming out pretty fast (along with most Squeenix games). If you don't want to play it right away I'm sure it'll be sub $10 sans glitched pricing in the next several months. Possibly even bundled with the new Hitman (that's also crashing fast) on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I wonder what SE thought after their Amazing Amazon bundle sold through the roof, but pissed off most of the gaming internet. Tony said that pack would never return, so I wonder if they cut him off or something drastic. There's quite a few new or semi-recent SE games I'd be interested in (Sleepy Dogs, Absolution, Front Mission, Underworld, Legend).

[quote name='Mooby']Sort of wondering what's up with Square. Also makes me wonder why anyone would preorder a game for $35+ when they are dropping to $10-15 within four or five months with relative frequency these days.[/QUOTE]

I can think of a few reasons.

1) Some people don't try to collect every game like we do, and only buy a few games a year, so picking up a new game they've been excited for at 40 bucks is just fine.

2) Being a part of the gaming zeitgeist can be fun.

3) If you're a huge fan of the series or genre and you just can't wait.

4) You like competitive multiplayer and want to get in while the community is still healthy.

Just checked and it looks like Sacred 2 Gold is NOT DRM-free on Steam. If I launch the EXE file, it asks me to sign in to Steam, so it looks like that version of Sacred 2 is using the Steam DRM.

[quote name='jshackles']Just checked and it looks like Sacred 2 Gold is NOT DRM-free on Steam. If I launch the EXE file, it asks me to sign in to Steam, so it looks like that version of Sacred 2 is using the Steam DRM.[/QUOTE]

Could I trouble you Properties->Local Files->Verify Cache and recheck?

Two posts from Deep Silver slightly contradict.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/225640/discussions/0/846941710563752357/
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3035114

It seems possible that Professor Pew's DRM-FREE statements are caveat to: "It still uses Steam's own DRM, because it's on Steam./" Games like Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (RPG Maker) and Vanguard Princess (Fighter Maker) didn't get Steam-DRM added though (and, like Sacred 2 Gold, are DRM-FREE on GG).

[quote name='jshackles']Just checked and it looks like Sacred 2 Gold is NOT DRM-free on Steam. If I launch the EXE file, it asks me to sign in to Steam, so it looks like that version of Sacred 2 is using the Steam DRM.[/QUOTE]

Ah well, I must have misinterpreted. Thanks for checking.

[quote name='asheskitty']
Two posts from Deep Silver slightly contradict.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/225640/discussions/0/846941710563752357/
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3035114

It seems possible that Professor Pew's DRM-FREE statements are caveat to: "It still uses Steam's own DRM, because it's on Steam./" Games like Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (RPG Maker) and Vanguard Princess (Fighter Maker) didn't get Steam-DRM added though (and, like Sacred 2 Gold, are DRM-FREE on GG).[/QUOTE]

Probably when he's saying "without DRM"/"DRM free" he's meaning without additional DRM and just not clarifying that point. Most people on Steam don't care about Steam DRM, only 3rd party DRM. Some people actually don't even realize Steam is acting in a DRM capacity.

[quote name='Motoki']Ah well, I must have misinterpreted. Thanks for checking.

Probably when he's saying "without DRM"/"DRM free" he's meaning without additional DRM and just not clarifying that point. Most people on Steam don't care about Steam DRM, only 3rd party DRM. Some people actually don't even realize Steam is acting in a DRM capacity.[/QUOTE]

I think you're likely right. (I'm just bloody curious.) I find it odd that they would add Steam DRM to it while simultaneously releasing it DRM-FREE on GG. I don't have a dog in this fight since I already own the UK-DRM'd version and the new DRM-FREE versions on GG. And some people don't realize steam doesn't have to be DRM =)

...damnit now I'm tempted to get around to installing the new DRM-FREE version to get the md5sum hash to compare to a (begged from jshackles) md5sum of the steam version .exe.

[quote name='asheskitty']I think you're likely right. (I'm just bloody curious.) I find it odd that they would add Steam DRM to it while simultaneously releasing it DRM-FREE on GG. I don't have a dog in this fight since I already own the UK-DRM'd version and the new DRM-FREE versions on GG. And some people don't realize steam doesn't have to be DRM =)

...damnit now I'm tempted to get around to installing the new DRM-FREE version to get the md5sum hash to compare to a (begged from jshackles) md5sum of the steam version .exe.[/QUOTE]

Running the file validation now, but I'm more than happy to provide an MD5 hash when it's done, if you'd like.

File integrity passed, still getting Steam login prompt when trying to run the EXE file. The MD5 of the exe is e2823ce264c2a897a6d746d4d4fb30f0

jshackles.

LOVE the plugin. You've outdone the official client in my mind.
One question though, it seems price history isn't fetched automatically anymore, I have to click. Any option to turn this back on?
On another note: Steamgamesales.com must be the best place for tracking? I ask only as I see its used for the plugin and I just subscribed to the main RSS feed. Just wondering about its quality/completeness. It used to be unusable at least for me due to horrible HORRIBLE query lag. Now its great.

In other news:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_2_complete + Games Removed from Steam 2.0 = Sad Panda

Thankfully I have NWN 1 && 2 safely in my library. At any moment that game you are eying for the summer sale. POOF! Gone forever! AMALUR.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']jshackles.

One question though, it seems price history isn't fetched automatically anymore, I have to click. Any option to turn this back on?
On another note: Steamgamesales.com must be the best place for tracking? I ask only as I see its used for the plugin and I just subscribed to the main RSS feed. Just wondering about its quality/completeness. It used to be unusable at least for me due to horrible HORRIBLE query lag. Now its great.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Unfortunately, the horrible horrible query lag is what killed that feature. It was getting a few thousands hits each day from the plugin users, and my hosting company decided it would shut my site down until that was corrected. Since each hit would spawn a server process that grabbed the data from SteamGameSales.com, it was using some pretty high resources.

For now, you'll have to click. :) I've got some other stuff in the works for the price history, hopefully coming soon.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']jshackles.

In other news:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_2_complete + Games Removed from Steam 2.0 = Sad Panda

Thankfully I have NWN 1 && 2 safely in my library. At any moment that game you are eying for the summer sale. POOF! Gone forever![/QUOTE]

SGS is the one he could query and parse nicely (there was discussion of options a while back).

NWN2 was just added to GOG (for the first time) Thursday, one day after I posted heavily about it being on GameStop with NWN1, and the Master Collection. I'm glad to see Hasbro giving it love. The GOG version has one more expansion that the Steam version had.

I'm not sure what you're anxious about.

BTW, there are several other price trackers in my sig.

[quote name='jshackles']File integrity passed, still getting Steam login prompt when trying to run the EXE file. The MD5 of the exe is e2823ce264c2a897a6d746d4d4fb30f0[/QUOTE]

3956c1e5b660097af0465f2668320bea *sacred2.exe

Hmm, GG DRM-FREE and Steam versions are definitely different.

Thanks jshackles!

[quote name='asheskitty']I'd be happy to roll a new toon (I'm thinking Mordecai) and co-op with you a bit in BL1. All my 128 hours in BL1 was on Lilith.

What toon were you having problems on? I do recall decent gear making a good difference, but that shouldn't be an issue in the first few hours. I'm kinda guessing here, but maybe you were using some low accuracy weapon(s) from too far away. Also having the right elemental weapon for the job makes a difference.

I did get my ass handed to me by Sledge (lv16-19 I forget) for a bit, until I got the hang of it more (and a few more levels).[/QUOTE]

If you, Syntax, and Eldredpe were game I'd jump in rolling a new toon. I'm playing a soldier right now but love using a sniper rifle.

[quote name='oman19']If you, Syntax, and Eldredpe were game I'd jump in rolling a new toon. I'm playing a soldier right now but love using a sniper rifle.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to get in on the BL1 train too, can roll a new toon or play from a level 12.

mmmm Sacred Goodness
FBCD5094F3DA3D922C9D7F66C9C248AD2FE9B09C

So, I buckled and grabbed Sleeping Dogs... since most of the DLC looks like crap. Is there any MUST HAVE DLC for Sleeping Dogs?

Thanks ahead of time.

Thanks for the heads up jshackles. When I said query lag it was a long time ago, before the plugin. Thats why I stopped using it. Now it seems to be working better.

asheskitty: Thanks for the info on the NWN 2 Complete info. I didn't know the GOG version has one additional expansion. Very good to know.

Here's hoping GMG carries Skyrim Dragonborn for some sweet 16$ action!

Just wondering if that includes the DLC prices as well,or do they pretty much stay at their base pricing? From what I can tell on steamprices.com, using Guardian of Light and Dues Ex DLC as a test, DLC base pricing doesn't seem to fluctuate much, but it's hard to tell, as it's only listing sale prices. Thoughts?

[quote name='fore1337']
So, I buckled and grabbed Sleeping Dogs... since most of the DLC looks like crap. Is there any MUST HAVE DLC for Sleeping Dogs?

Thanks ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

Nope, it all sucks. I'm not sure about Zodiac Tournament, it's the only one I haven't played.. but I can say for sure the rest of it isn't worth buying, even at 91% off (price glitch).

[quote name='spoderman']Nope, it all sucks. I'm not sure about Zodiac Tournament, it's the only one I haven't played.. but I can say for sure the rest of it isn't worth buying, even at 91% off (price glitch).[/QUOTE]

That makes things easy. Thanks.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Thanks for the heads up jshackles. When I said query lag it was a long time ago, before the plugin. Thats why I stopped using it. Now it seems to be working better.
[/QUOTE]

The more recent versions of Steam Enhanced dropped the Steamgameprices pulled data and replaced it with a direct link which helps loads with the speed.

[quote name='fore1337']mmmm Sacred Goodness

Thanks ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Steam Enhanced, it has a handy feature that categorizes DLC so you can easily tell what's content DLC vs cosmetic and pay to unlock, multiplayer only etc that you might otherwise get tricked into buying.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Here's hoping GMG carries Skyrim Dragonborn for some sweet 16$ action![/QUOTE]

That'd better be before coupon =p

[quote name='Eldredpe']Why are characters called toons? The art style?[/QUOTE]

I picked up the term while playing wow. I imagine the truth is pretty dull: its shorter to write than character. Also from a pen & paper RPG background character denotes depth and backstory that you are playing to. I believe the term "toon" entered mainstream lingo with Who Framed Rodger Rabbit (1988).

[quote name='fore1337']So, I buckled and grabbed Sleeping Dogs... since most of the DLC looks like crap. Is there any MUST HAVE DLC for Sleeping Dogs?.[/QUOTE]

High res texture pack.

[quote name='Motoki']The more recent versions of Steam Enhanced dropped the Steamgameprices pulled data and replaced it with a direct link which helps loads with the speed.[/QUOTE]

Simple but great point there -- direct link to the game's page on SGS. The slow part of SGS for me is always searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back