The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='option.iv']I'm probably the only one who hated Spec Ops: The Line. Ammo is so scarce, and it gets so repetitive hiding behind cover and popping out to headshot enemies. The controls as a third person shooter were pretty bad. As for the story, it was ok for me. I'm honestly tired of this whole
you-were-actually-the-bad-guy/the-one-dreaming
type of story. I just noticed myself trudging through the game instead of actually enjoying it. I've also played my fair share of third person hide and shoot games, but this one I was just dreading to play.[/QUOTE]

totally agree on the ammo part.

I'm back to Mafia 2. Left it in the middle some time ago... Forgot how awesome it is. I hated Mafia 1, but Mafia 2 is great.

Now that I think of it, hope The Godfather: the game reappears, that was a great game too. I only played the first one a long time ago

[quote name='Seraphym']:cry:

BL2 Shift key. It's good until Feb 3rd - CTWBT-X5ZWC-9WRB3-BJ3B3-RWF96
PSA: There will be a BL2 max level increase within the next month or two.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was pretty excited when I saw $22, then I saw the "not for you, émigré."

Thanks for the shift key! =) I always feel a little dirty entering Facbook Shift Keys.

[quote name='kitara91']totally agree on the ammo part.[/QUOTE]

The Spec Ops: The Line discussion has taken a weird turn, imo. I think that was my first TPS (proper) (and I'm not much of a FPS player -- BL1/BL2 doesn't count ^_~). I didn't have any ammo problems. I swapped guns more often for changing my loadout and low on ammo that out of ammo. I never felt ammo constrained. I would note that Spec Ops tries aims to be more realistic than most games.

US infantry is quite limited by the amount of ammo they can carry. IIRC the guy with M249 depends on his squadmates to carry ammunition for him. These limitations become for significant for Special Forces. This limitation drives a lot of research into smaller/light ammo: plastic casings, plastic bullets, telescoping bullets, caseless ammunition.

[quote name='MrBonk']Played H&D since it was free to try it. And I REALLY liked it. Will certainly add it to my list of games to buy this year.[/QUOTE]

You might want to keep an eye out for Painkiller: Black then. It's usual sale price is $2.50, but it was in recent bundle (IG?) so there should be cheap keys in the trading thread.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Well, I tried to send it to him. He's not missing out because someone else asked for codes I offered to regulars of the thread because a lurker leeched what I posted, he's really missing out because of this:

"Blade has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."[/QUOTE]

:( I cleared out some space if you are still inclined to send it CKII to me. I'll treat it right, mister! Promise!

Apropos of nothing, my steam overlay has decided to stop working on at least some of my games (haven't checked more than 2). WTF. First noticed it with Borderlands 2, but it also won't work with SR3.

Saints Row 3 has also decided to become unplayable. I wanted to check out Whored Mode a little last night... my god, the FPS was at like 3 frames a second. Chugfest. I played 60 hours of this stupid game just fine. It's weird. I haven't changed anything on my computer. Bah.

Metro 2033 won't launch.

This is my lucky week :p

Prototype 2 is only $15.99 which is more than twice what Amazon charged for both P1 and P2 about 2 months ago...lol

Edit:

And the Radnet DLC isn't included here either! Makes it $20.99 for both.

[quote name='zillionandnine']Apropos of nothing, my steam overlay has decided to stop working on at least some of my games (haven't checked more than 2). WTF. First noticed it with Borderlands 2, but it also won't work with SR3.

Saints Row 3 has also decided to become unplayable. I wanted to check out Whored Mode a little last night... my god, the FPS was at like 3 frames a second. Chugfest. I played 60 hours of this stupid game just fine. It's weird. I haven't changed anything on my computer. Bah.

Metro 2033 won't launch.

This is my lucky week :p[/QUOTE]
For SR:TT try verifying the game cache.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Prototype 2 is only $15.99 which is more than twice what Amazon charged for both P1 and P2 about 2 months ago...lol

Edit:

And the Radnet DLC isn't included here either! Makes it $20.99 for both.[/QUOTE]

Shame Amazon doesn't bring that pack back.

[quote name='asheskitty']The Spec Ops: The Line discussion has taken a weird turn, imo. I think that was my first TPS (proper) (and I'm not much of a FPS player -- BL1/BL2 doesn't count ^_~). I didn't have any ammo problems. I swapped guns more often for changing my loadout and low on ammo that out of ammo. I never felt ammo constrained. I would note that Spec Ops tries aims to be more realistic than most games.

US infantry is quite limited by the amount of ammo they can carry. IIRC the guy with M249 depends on his squadmates to carry ammunition for him. These limitations become for significant for Special Forces. This limitation drives a lot of research into smaller/light ammo: plastic casings, plastic bullets, telescoping bullets, caseless ammunition.[/QUOTE]
and robotic pack mules
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40gECrmuCaU

[quote name='dbolt']Steam has shut down this group and other groups related to trading and good deals. A dick move on their part.[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up on the dick moves Steam does...lol

I'm not surprised. They disabled Hookups a couple of weeks ago citing the same reasons even though it isn't in their TOS from what I read. It is a shame I really liked Hookups (got some great deals on preorders there). Looks like now Valve is cleaning house on other groups that do the same things.

I guess they got pissed off at people pointing out that other places have better prices for games than them.
The only solution is to continuing buying games and steam keys from places other than Steam.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Re: spec Ops
There are two more ending to get, fight and die instead of surrendering OR Fight and survive instead of surrendering
Make sure to go back and get all the intel items, it is all interesting story background information.[/QUOTE]

Ill have to go do those two as well. I have almost all the intel, I think I'm missing 3 or 4.

[quote name='tritangle']I guess they got pissed off at people pointing out that other places have better prices for games than them.
The only solution is to continuing buying games and steam keys from places other than Steam.[/QUOTE]

Given all the places you can get Steam keys from that cost less than anything Steam sells, even during their infamous sales, I've been wondering for a while now if Valve was going to clamp down at some point. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they instituted a small charge for each Steam key generated since they have to pay for the bandwidth (apparently Steam is something like the 4th biggest network bandwidth consumer in the world).

Did anybody ever actually use the CAG Steam group? It was full of people I'd never heard of and the chatroom (on the few occasions I had the misfortune to use it) was full of people begging for Skyram.

It was symbolic, and nothing else, for me at least. If I want to look for deals, I come here. The unmoderated, heavily-swollen CAG Steam group is the last place I'd look.

On the plus side, today's the start of a three day weekend. Grump over! :D

[quote name='Flowette']Did anybody ever actually use the CAG Steam group? It was full of people I'd never heard of and the chatroom (on the few occasions I had the misfortune to use it) was full of people begging for Skyram.

It was symbolic, and nothing else, for me at least. If I want to look for deals, I come here. The unmoderated, heavily-swollen CAG Steam group is the last place I'd look.

On the plus side, today's the start of a three day weekend. Grump over! :D[/QUOTE]

It had definitely turned symbolic. But before the Steam Gifts thing it was a lot smaller and people did try to get group play going and they would announce good deals that would sometimes get to me before I got to CAG. That said, it's more the principle than anything else. I wonder if it has anything to do with their new marketplace where they want people to sell Steam inventory items through them.

So after a little bit of work I now have Alice Madness Returns on Steam complete with the Costume/Weapon DLC and a working copy of American McGee's Alice launchable thru Madness Returns. Very happy!

Also, page 700 :whee:

[quote name='Captain Urahara']So after a little bit of work I now have Alice Madness Returns on Steam complete with the Costume/Weapon DLC and a working copy of American McGee's Alice launchable thru Madness Returns. Very happy!

Also, page 700 :whee:[/QUOTE]

You can't leave us hanging like that!!! Details pleaze. I have the complete version on origin, as well as the steam version of madness returns, and also know the .inf edit trick for the dresses. I assume those are the primary ingredients for this delicious recipe.

[quote name='elessar123']For whom?[/QUOTE]
Pour mois! (Is that right? I didn't do French at school)

I've taken Monday off so I can see what this Souper Bowl nonsense is all about. It usually finishes in the early hours across here (like 4-5am) so I've never had the chance to watch one live. Not this year :D

[quote name='walkonshadows']You can't leave us hanging like that!!! Details pleaze. I have the complete version on origin, as well as the steam version of madness returns, and also know the .inf edit trick for the dresses. I assume those are the primary ingredients for this delicious recipe.[/QUOTE]

To get AMA working thru AMR all you have to do is do the DefaultEngine.ini edit trick but just above the line you edit for the DLC(which was the very last line) is one that says
Alice1Path=..\..\..\Alice1\Bin
or something like that. You need to place a working digital copy of AMA somewhere and edit that path so it reads the copy of AMA. I placed mine in the Binaries folder to go with the AMR exe file so mine looked like this
Alice1Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Alice Madness Returns\Binaries\Win32\Alice1\bin

Not quite as easy as changing FALSE to TRUE for a DLC unlock, but relatively simple and painless. The only concern for most people would be getting the copy of AMA but once you have that it's easy.

[quote name='Flowette']Did anybody ever actually use the CAG Steam group? It was full of people I'd never heard of and the chatroom (on the few occasions I had the misfortune to use it) was full of people begging for Skyram.

On the plus side, today's the start of a three day weekend. Grump over! :D[/QUOTE]

Kinda the same, but its all about the symbolism my dude lol

Alright so I bought a copy of Mercenaries 2 a long time ago. Problem is that I lost the box with has the product key in it. I had installed it and activated it with the key when I had first got it. I would like to retrieve the product key from the installed files.

Thanks

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Alright so I bought a copy of Mercenaries 2 a long time ago. Problem is that I lost the box with has the product key in it. I had installed it and activated it with the key when I had first got it. I would like to retrieve the product key from the installed files.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
On steam? you can't retrieve the code that you inserted. You can retrieve, if there is any, the cd key (when installed, right click on the game)

[quote name='Stonekeep']On steam? you can't retrieve the code that you inserted. You can retrieve, if there is any, the cd key (when installed, right click on the game)[/QUOTE]

From a disc. This was pre-origin and I never registered the product key through the pre-origin registration website.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']From a disc. This was pre-origin and I never registered the product key through the pre-origin registration website.[/QUOTE]

Try here (in regedit):
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Games\Mercenaries 2 World in Flames

OR

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Mercenaries 2 World in Flames\ergc

[quote name='Stonekeep']Try here (in regedit):
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Games\Mercenaries 2 World in Flames

OR

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Mercenaries 2 World in Flames\ergc
[/QUOTE]

I just see a default entry with no data.

That's strange, it should be around the last one that I've posted.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Mercenaries 2 World in Flames\ergc] @="{CD KEY}"

[quote name='Stonekeep']That's strange, it should be around the last one that I've posted.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Mercenaries 2 World in Flames\ergc] @="{CD KEY}"[/QUOTE]

I found a Product GUID. Is that it?

Edit: Your path was a little off back it put me pretty close. Thank you so much!!

So Steam killed the groups because they were advertising deals elsewhere? Wow. Just wow. Pretty soon it will be a bannable offense to say "GMG", "Amazon", etc.

[quote name='Idiotekque']So Steam killed the groups because they were advertising deals elsewhere? Wow. Just wow. Pretty soon it will be a bannable offense to say "GMG", "Amazon", etc.[/QUOTE]

I'm liking Origin more and more everyday. :)

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I'm liking Origin more and more everyday. :)[/QUOTE]
Origin beats Steam in a lot of areas, except community. If Steam's gonna be a little bitch about what we're allowed and not allowed to talk about, though, that may change.

I have to say, I'm really not happy with Valve's decision to close down these "deal" groups. I mean - Valve issues keys to Game Company X in exchange for having their game available on the Steam platform. Game Company X sells said keys on a competing site (GMG, Amazon, etc). Then Valve gets upset when people post links to sites selling at a lower price than what Valve offers.

From my understanding, Game Company X is the one SETTING the price both on Steam and on said other site.

So if anything, Valve shouldn't be shutting down the customers (bad PR) but should be stipulating to the game companies that either it is against their TOS to sell their Steam keys on competing sites, or that if they do sell them on other sites, they cannot be sold for lower than what they're sold on Steam.

Punishing the end users for this behavior is just... bizarre.

Steam is obviously okay with their keys being sold. The keys COME from Steam and go to companies who are selling those keys. Steam is likely making a cut (I'm not sure on that, but it seems pretty obvious).

It's just a dick move, plain and simple. Valve can do whatever the hell they want and they will still crap $1000 bills. It honestly doesn't matter what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back