The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know what DRM the Sword of the Stars collection that's 2.50 on GamersGate right now uses?

It's listed as "Other."

Hoping it's Steam and unlabeled, but not holding my breath.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I've actually played it. It is just plain awful i.e. something I'm sure Motoki would be happy to get :D[/QUOTE]

I guess they had to come up with something after water-boarding was stopped.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Anybody know what DRM the Sword of the Stars collection that's 2.50 on GamersGate right now uses?

It's listed as "Other."

Hoping it's Steam and unlabeled, but not holding my breath.[/QUOTE]

It's a paradox game. Few (if any) paradox games sold through Gamersgate are steam versions. So I would guess that it's not steam. Can't say with 100% certainty, but I really doubt it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Amazon isn't really a good example for this though. Their deals are poorly advertised and unless you frequent a forum or community with Tony as a member then you might miss out on a lot of their deals.

In the digital world I think Humble Bundle definitely has a higher profile than Amazon even and even if you just consider HiB, I think the crossover is pretty big there.

Some devs can get past the indie bundle devaluation, but even with games like Giana Sisters there's a ton of people waiting for it to be bundled.

I don't think indie games are worthless and I think even the cheapest ass gamer would happily play full price if it's a great game they enjoy, but for those without a strong interest in a game, it's more of a wait and see approach even when it's on sale.[/QUOTE]

This. All of it. 100%

[quote name='Rsmobile']
Which is odd because I thought FTL was mediocre.
In a sane world, no. Indie games should be bundled and given away with real games like peanuts at a restaurant.

Actually, I'll buy an indie game on release that tickles my fancy. HM was THAT good. Exceed too. Magical Diary I bought too.[/QUOTE]

The only place I've gotten free peanuts is a on a plane.

[quote name='SeymourGams']http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DIRTY/dirty-dancing

Did I just find a new Motoki game?[/QUOTE]

That's been featured at the top of the GG offers page for *days*. I guess we know who isn't a GG glitchstalker. ^_~

[quote name='Eldredpe']Anybody know what DRM the Sword of the Stars collection that's 2.50 on GamersGate right now uses?

It's listed as "Other."

Hoping it's Steam and unlabeled, but not holding my breath.[/QUOTE]

GG is almost always spot on on it's DRM descriptions; it it don't say it's steam, it's not steam. The recent exception I can think of is Vanguard Princess is actually DRM-FREE, DRM still says other, IIRC.

[quote name='asheskitty']
The only place I've gotten free peanuts is a on a plane.
[/QUOTE]

Five Guys and Texas Roadhouse are the two places I go that have them.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Do you realize that, quite literally, every modern shump on PC that is not MAME emulated is either fanmade, Sine Mora, or Jamestown? It isn't like Touhou, Ether Vapor, Exceed, Blue Wish, and the Gundemonium games aren't doujin works. Hydorah too. That's like telling me to give you a list of hack and slash action games but then telling me "No fan works or Devil May Cry games please."

If you at ALL like shumps in any meaningful way then you have an Xbox 360 or at least access to one, or you have MAME and are emulating a whole suite of them. If you don't, you still won't like SM because it's gimmicky, slow-paced, poorly balanced crap.

"Just being a curmudgeon" is a good line though. I'll have to save it for the next time people go into a reflexive Call of Duty hatred refrain.

I'LL DEAL WITH YOU LATER FLOWETTE.

Granted, if their art guys got behind a shump that had some better design to it, I'd be a much bigger fan.[/QUOTE]

1. yikes, so when you previously stated "a lot better" you were essentially referring to a bunch of rough amateur pc games that fundamentally play like CAVE/Treasure games (just way worse). No thanks.

2. your example using DMC is not really apt. If someone doesn't want to play DMC, but still wants something that wasn't created by a bunch of hacks (sorry), they can at least play Bayonetta, God of War, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, etc.

3. and your final point about buying a console - obviously someone can buy a 360 :roll:

it's okay to hate things, I was just wondering if you had any meaningful game suggestions.

[quote name='asheskitty']The only place I've gotten free peanuts is a on a plane.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't free either, the airline just conned you into thinking that it was. :cool:

[quote name='mujahid9']
1. yikes, so when you previously stated "a lot better" you were essentially referring to a bunch of rough amateur pc games that fundamentally play like CAVE/Treasure games (just way worse). No thanks.
2. your example using DMC is not really apt. If someone doesn't want to play DMC, but still wants something that wasn't created by a bunch of hacks (sorry), they can at least play Bayonetta, God of War, Castlevania Lords of Shadow
, etc.

3. and your final point about buying a console - obviously someone can buy a 360 :roll:

it's okay to hate things, I was just wondering if you had any meaningful game suggestions.
[/QUOTE]

You forgot Blades of Time. :pitchfork:

[quote name='Dreamweaver7']That wasn't free either, the airline just conned you into thinking that it was. :cool:[/QUOTE]

No, it was free. That wasn't my credit card. :evil:

Noticed Brutal Legend's promo materials STILL disguise the RTS aspects. Kinda odd considering they are free of EA's yolk. I GUESS SCHAFER STILL WANTS TO LISTEN TO THE RICH PUBLISHERS.

[quote name='mujahid9']1. yikes, so when you previously stated "a lot better" you were essentially referring to a bunch of rough amateur pc games that fundamentally play like CAVE/Treasure games (just way worse). No thanks.

2. your example using DMC is not really apt. If someone doesn't want to play DMC, but still wants something that wasn't created by a bunch of hacks (sorry), they can at least play Bayonetta, God of War, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, etc.

it's okay to hate things, I was just wondering if you had any meaningful game suggestions.[/QUOTE]

So apparently you haven't played the games I recommended. Nor have you played Crimzon Clover (Still probably the finest shump I have ever played.), Suguri, Sora, Acceleration of Suguri... Hydorah and Satazius and Hitogata Happa are trying to be Cave games? This is absolutely news to me.

Also, "rough amateur pc games that fundamentally play like CAVE/Treasure games (just way worse)." That's Sine Mora. To a T.

On a related note, "like Treasure games?" They have made two shumps, as far as I remember: Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga. And those two could not possibly be more different from each other if memory serves. Except for Exceed 2 ripping off Ikaruga wholesale I find it weird to suggest that Treasure has a defined style.

My point about DMC is absolutely apt because not a single game you mentioned on that list has hit PC.

Also I cannot believe you are causing me to defend indie games. I hate you i hate you i hate yoooooooooou.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Also I cannot believe you are causing me to defend indie games. I hate you i hate you i hate yoooooooooou.[/QUOTE]

That was his plan all along. You fell into a trap!

[quote name='6er']If they could only get the rights to some of the old Star Trek games..... Elite Force,....Armada, ...Bridge Commander[/QUOTE]

I'd add Birth of the Federation and the Starfleet Command games to the list, too. Those would pretty much all be insta-buys for me.

[quote name='asheskitty']The only place I've gotten free peanuts is a on a plane.[/QUOTE]

You're not looking hard enough. Every baseball game I've been too has free peanuts, well if you don't mind picking them up off the ground. :whistle2:#

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is the Testament of Sherlock Holmes at 66% off ($13.59)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the update. I haven't heard anything about this title, though the screen shots imply that it has, at the very least, competent visuals. I don't believe I've seen any CAG's discuss it, though - How is the gameplay?

GMG has Trine for $1 AC GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS Crapsule client though.

[quote name='sunasun']You're not looking hard enough. Every baseball game I've been too has free peanuts, well if you don't mind picking them up off the ground. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I find watching sporting events to be very dull.

For those who ordered the Crazy Machine Bundle from the Indie Store:

My keys for Crazt Machines 1.5 and Crazy Machines weren't showing (Steam keys for Crazy Machines 2 and Crazy Machines Elements did show up). So I sent an email, this is the reponse I got back:

The serial numbers for those products are out of stock. Do you mind waiting a couple of days till we receive other keys from the publishers? If not, in alternative, we can offer you two of these other Steam games at your choice, instead of the two Crazy Machines games:

Helldorado

Mata Hari

Alter Ego

Cargo! The Request For Gravity

The Whispered world.

I told them I didn't mind waiting, and that I would post the email here to hopefully cut down on any duplicate emails asking the same question. Just an FYI.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Download time kills the deal. :D[/QUOTE]

I know, right? It takes almost 30 minutes to download that 5 MB game on my 33.6Kbps modem.

[quote name='walkonshadows']For those who ordered the Crazy Machine Bundle from the Indie Store:

My keys for Crazt Machines 1.5 and Crazy Machines weren't showing (Steam keys for Crazy Machines 2 and Crazy Machines Elements did show up). So I sent an email, this is the reponse I got back:

The serial numbers for those products are out of stock. Do you mind waiting a couple of days till we receive other keys from the publishers? If not, in alternative, we can offer you two of these other Steam games at your choice, instead of the two Crazy Machines games:

Helldorado

Mata Hari

Alter Ego

The Whispered world.

I told them I didn't mind waiting, and that I would post the email here to hopefully cut down on any duplicate emails asking the same question. Just an FYI.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty generous of them. My keys did show up, otherwise I'd probably trade for The Whispered World and Alter Ego

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Time to party like it's 1995![/QUOTE]

I never stopped.

I'd really rather the hangover doesn't catch up with me.

Just started playing Bulletstorm and ran into retarded DRM problems again. GFWL, says update required. Update finishes downloading, gives message "please restart the game to complete the update process." But can't reach the menu screen to exit the game without the update installed....

[quote name='Eldredpe']I never stopped.

I'd really rather the hangover doesn't catch up with me.[/QUOTE]

What kind of apple juice did they give you in kindergarten?

[quote name='Eldredpe']I never stopped.

I'd really rather the hangover doesn't catch up with me.[/QUOTE]

Were you in Vegas w/ this Hangover?

[quote name='walkonshadows']For those who ordered the Crazy Machine Bundle from the Indie Store:

Helldorado

Mata Hari

Alter Ego

The Whispered world.

I told them I didn't mind waiting, and that I would post the email here to hopefully cut down on any duplicate emails asking the same question. Just an FYI.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. I was sad I missed the bundle; hopefully this means it will come back in stock in a few days.

Another Borderlands 2 shift key: WTWT3-596CW-ZKF33-TJ333-9JSRZ

EDIT: I just tried to redeem it and I got some message that the code can't be redeemed. Never got that message before. It's usually either that the code has expired or it's already been redeemed. So I don't know what's up with the code. It might work for you, or it might not.

2nd EDIT: Nevermind. the code worked after all. Even though it gave me that error message when I tried to redeem earlier, there is a record of it being redeemed at the time that I tried. And when I tried to use the code a second time, it said that it had already been used. Not sure why I got that error message, but whatever. As long as it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='annihilator']Thanks for this. I was sad I missed the bundle; hopefully this means it will come back in stock in a few days.[/QUOTE]

There was still 2 days left on the counter for the bundle when I bought it, it was pulled not 5 minutes after I bought it, so here's hoping they re-list it for you guys when they get the keys.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Played a few quick games of You Don't Know Jack. I love this game! It would be cool if the old games got put on a digital service like GOG or Steam.[/QUOTE]

I never played any of the YDKJ games up until this newest release. Had a gift card to Walmart so I picked up a cheap PS3 copy and played it at my buddy's house with friends. Quite a blast to go through the game with friends! Haven't touched it in a ling while since I've been busy with work and other games. I want to get back into it.

Picked up that $3 copy from Amazon not long ago and hadn't had a chance to play it on Steam yet either.

[quote name='asheskitty']The Free Indie Bundle #3 is out. Nothing jumps out at me, but I'm sure some CAGs would be happy to pay $0.00 for it.

[/QUOTE]

So which publisher is causing problems for these indie devs and what is the problem that the publisher is causing?

[quote name='Rerujnoc']So which publisher is causing problems for these indie devs and what is the problem that the publisher is causing?[/QUOTE]

Lace Mamba.

They've done some pretty shady things in regards to indie bundle profits, among other things, I guess.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Lace Mamba.

They've done some pretty shady things in regards to indie bundle profits, among other things, I guess.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Lace Mamba killed my grandma too.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, Lace Mamba killed my grandma too.[/QUOTE]

Then distributed her corpse throughout the United Kingdom without paying you.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Then distributed her corpse throughout the United Kingdom without paying you.[/QUOTE]
They said I'd get like 40% of the profits, at least from the choice cuts. Should have read the fine print, man...

[quote name='Idiotekque']They said I'd get like 40% of the profits, at least from the choice cuts. Should have read the fine print, man...[/QUOTE]

You DO realise we're in midst of a horse-meat-being-sold-as-beef scandal across here, don't you?

I'm hit with the uncomfortable realisation that the lasagne I had on Saturday night probably contained Idiotekque's grandma's buttock.

Ew.

Originally Posted by asheskitty The Free Indie Bundle #3 is out. Nothing jumps out at me, but I'm sure some CAGs would be happy to pay $0.00 for it

theres actually that Ninja game that plays alot like Mega Man and is really good and a werid but cool Japanese horror game kinda similar to Corpse Party. Pretty cool stuff for free.

[quote name='Flowette']You DO realise we're in midst of a horse-meat-being-sold-as-beef scandal across here, don't you?

I'm hit with the uncomfortable realisation that the lasagne I had on Saturday night probably contained Idiotekque's grandma's buttock.

Ew.[/QUOTE]

Admit it - That wasn't the first time you'd ever had a taste of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back