The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it's been mentioned but I noticed preordering Bioshock infinite has some prepurchase rewards on Steam.

As it stands now, you'll get a copy of the first Bioshock, the next level is some TF2 items (ok?) and the last is a free copy of X-COM: Enemy Unknown.

Seeing as how I really want a free copy of that last game (thinkin about buying it for a while), everyone should and preorder Bioshock Infinite on steam right now. I'm just saying....

@JDK

Just so you know...
Bioshock 1 was FREE once on GameFly; and it has been $5 before on numerous sales elsewhere.
XCOM: EU (2012 by Firaxis) has been $16 before on GMG.

I just don't find the Bioshock: Infinite "if so many pre-order" deal super-appealing. Especially if so many decide not to...
...AND Especially given today's climate of DLC mania; Season Passes; release game now and patch later; price-cuts like crazy on numerous digital sales (Amazon DVG, Gamersgate, Steam, GameFly, etc)...

{shrug}

[quote name='MysterD']@JDK

Just so you know...
Bioshock 1 was FREE once on GameFly; and it has been $5 before on numerous sales elsewhere.
XCOM: EU (2012 by Firaxis) has been $16 before on GMG.

I just don't find the Bioshock: Infinite "if so many pre-order" deal super-appealing. Especially if so many decide not to...
...AND Especially given today's climate of DLC mania; release game now and patch later; price-cuts like crazy on numerous digital sales (Amazon DVG, Gamersgate, Steam, GameFly, etc)...

{shrug}[/QUOTE]

Yea that makes sense. I was planning on getting it launch anyway so it's purely just gravy for me.

I also realize it's only about 20 bucks total savings, but that's still 20 dollars I don't have to pay which is a plus. I haven't found a great deal for inifinite PC either. If you know of one, I would love to know but I just haven't seen much.

On a side note (know this is a steam thread) but green man gaming....is it legit? I've never heard of that place until last week. Are there any region restrictions with their downloads? Do they give you steam codes?

[quote name='MysterD']I don't hate the COD games. I'd rather they came out say every few years than opposed to every year. It's one of the reason I hardly ever pay full-price or close-to-it for them.

More so than anything - I wish so many other FPS's would STOP copying the COD franchise, in how to do linear-FPS SP campaign or w/ the way they do the MP (with leveling and item/weapons/gear unlocks and whatnot).

The COD games have barely changed much since COD4: Modern Warfare, for the most part - namely w/ the SP and MP. COD4: MW is still, to me, the pinnacle of that series. Since then - it's been more of the same in design, character, and story. Actually, even more true w/ MW2 - the series has gotten even more ridiculous, boom-bastic, explosive, and over-the-top.

Can't speak on Black Ops 2 SP yet - ain't bought the game, so I can touch the SP.
About BO2 MP - thanks to the Free Weekend, from what I played, feels a lot like the other post-COD4 games.

I wish games like Bioshock and Metro out-sold COD. That'd be nice.[/QUOTE]
The ONLY reason that I still buy the series is because all of the gamers that I know will have the newest one. Granted I never pay more than $30 ;) but still.

[quote name='jdktech2010']Yea that makes sense. I was planning on getting it launch anyway so it's purely just gravy for me.

I also realize it's only about 20 bucks total savings, but that's still 20 dollars I don't have to pay which is a plus. I haven't found a great deal for inifinite PC either. If you know of one, I would love to know but I just haven't seen much.

On a side note (know this is a steam thread) but green man gaming....is it legit? I've never heard of that place until last week. Are there any region restrictions with their downloads? Do they give you steam codes?[/QUOTE]

GMG is legit but use PayPal in order to reduce calls to the CC companies because GMG is located in the UK. So long as you stay on greenmangaming.com and not greenmangaming.co.uk, everything is US. If a product's description page says "requires activation on steam", then it is a steam code.

@JDK

The problem I see w/ the Steam deal is it requires everybody to meet the pre-order requirements to unlock that extra stuff for everybody. It might happen, it might not.
Now, if it was just straight-up "Pre-Order Bioshock: Infinite - receive TF2 hats; Bioshock 1; and XCOM EU now" - that'd be a little more appealing to some!

GMG and Amazon also have deals, if you decide to pre-order Bioshock: Infinite.

GMG - Pick a Bioshock Infinite Bundle; and get also $15 GMG Credit back.

Amazon DVG - Pre-order Bioshock Infinite, get $30 Amazon DVG Credit once the actual game is released to ONLY use on games published by 2K Games (except Bs:I, Bs:I Season Pass & 2K Pre-orders).

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']The ONLY reason that I still buy the series is because all of the gamers that I know will have the newest one. Granted I never pay more than $30 ;) but still.[/QUOTE]

That's more or less a good way to looking at every COD game popping out yearly - as a full-blown expansion-pack/stand-alone expansion pack game ($30 USD retail normally for those, back in the day).

[quote name='hal']I couldn't believe the credit wasn't applicable towards the Season Pass. It really makes that deal worthless to me.[/QUOTE]
As a consumer - yeah, makes no sense to us.
Especially to completionists who want Game + ALL DLC/Expansions.

Though, it does makes sense to me, from a business-sense.
They ain't allowing it on 2K Pre-Orders - and Bs:I Season Pass would be, more or less, a Pre-Order.
What I mean, NO DLC details on these 3 DLC's has been explicitly announced/revealed yet.
No DLC has been released yet for Bs:I, either.
Hell, the base game hasn't even been release yet, either.

EDIT:
I think a lot of these Bs:I pre-order deals just...ain't too exciting. That's just me, though.
As much as I want Bs:I, the early announcement of a Season Pass has already told me to "Wait this out a bit."

[quote name='hal']I couldn't believe the credit wasn't applicable towards the Season Pass. It really makes that deal worthless to me.[/QUOTE]

It makes sense though, if they wanted to offer the Season Pass free with every pre-order they would have just done that. The DLC is where they get their money so they aren't going to give it away or discount it until they've sucked every dollar out of it.

Oh yeah, it makes sense. I just thought I'd found a pre-order that was worthwhile and was disappointed when it didn't work out that way.

I've already got the games they're giving away. $30 credit towards games I already have (or maybe future 2K releases *if* they make them eligible), Blue Coins (an aside thought: are those eligible to use towards Season Pass??), and $15 back after release just doesn't grab me.

I may just end up using a few Best Buy gift cards I've got if that Blue Coin thing doesn't work out.

[quote name='hal']Oh yeah, it makes sense. I just thought I'd found a pre-order that was worthwhile and was disappointed when it didn't work out that way.

I've already got the games they're giving away. $30 credit towards games I already have (or maybe future 2K releases *if* they make them eligible), Blue Coins (an aside thought: are those eligible to use towards Season Pass??), and $15 back after release just doesn't grab me.

I may just end up using a few Best Buy gift cards I've got if that Blue Coin thing doesn't work out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, most of the offers are pretty worthless IMO. I mean even amazon's $30 of credit just basically amounts to free or discounted games that have already been cheap before.

Even the Steam X-Com deal is only so so IMO. X-Com has been less than $20 and by the time BI releases it will be even cheaper.

The Gamersgate is the best IMO. It comes out to $48 after discount and you get $20 in BC back. I have never seen BC be restricted in anyway and have pre ordered games with BC. So using those $20 in BC towards a $24 Season Pass (I'm just guessing at the price - $30 minus 20%) could get you the game plus season pass for essentially $52.

£23.99 from GMG UK (no coupons available) and it comes with Bioshock 1 and one of: Civ V, Darkness II, Mafia 2, Spec Ops: The Line or Bioshock 2.

That's cheap, right? I'm losing track of what's going on here.

EDIT: Just seen Foxx's post, do that instead.

[quote name='MysterD']I never bought a :360:
Last console that I owned was a PSX.
I've been a PC gamer since 1995.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MysterD']My first console = Atari 7800.

EDIT:

I remember not too long ago when GameFly was flat-out just giving away Bioshock 1 PC....[/QUOTE]

I've always been a PC gamer (had computers before consoles). First: Famicom Last: PS2 Slim (in silver)

Gosh, I remember that now too, I think that brings me up to 3 copies (Retail, free on GF, steam key from a Tony Bundle).

[quote name='Flowette']£23.99 from GMG UK (no coupons available) and it comes with Bioshock 1 and one of: Civ V, Darkness II, Mafia 2, Spec Ops: The Line or Bioshock 2.

That's cheap, right? I'm losing track of what's going on here.

EDIT: Just seen Foxx's post, do that instead.[/QUOTE]

I'm showing £29.99. More interestingly is that it is 45873 BC...

[quote name='asheskitty']I've always been a PC gamer (had computers before consoles). First: Famicom Last: PS2 Slim (in silver)

Gosh, I remember that now too, I think that brings me up to 3 copies (Retail, free on GF, steam key from a Tony Bundle).

I'm showing £29.99. More interestingly is that it is 45873 BC...[/QUOTE]

Good catch. UK you essentially pay $37 in BC and get $15.5 back in BC.

So net price with Season Pass would be $46.5?

Edit:
Season pass in UK right now is only $23 in BC. With discount would be $18.40. So net price with season pass would only be $40.

As long as it is not region locked or anything. I think Borderlands 2 originally was region locked wasn't it?

[quote name='asheskitty']I'm showing £29.99. More interestingly is that it is 45873 BC...[/QUOTE]
I think we're getting confused here, I was referencing Green Man Gaming :lol:

Behold!

Gamersgate is showing as the kitty says. Not sure what the math is but will leave that to you guys. (£29.99 or 45812 Blue Coins)

[quote name='Flowette']I think we're getting confused here, I was referencing Green Man Gaming :lol:

Behold!

Gamersgate is showing as the kitty says. Not sure what the math is but will leave that to you guys. (£29.99 or 45812 Blue Coins)[/QUOTE]

Ah, you're right. I musta slipped because I feel that GG has the best offer, them both being UK boot sales =p

[quote name='Blade']It'll be on sale for $5 in 2015. Just wait until then. ;)[/QUOTE]

Actually I meant I wouldn't even play it at all~

This Bioshock Infinite preorder business is a headache.

I decided to just go the AMD route. A CAG is willing to hook me up with a key for $30. And if I use the CAGROCKS code at Amazon I can get the DLC for $15. I still don't feel comfortable paying $45 dollars for the game and DLC, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I keep telling myself that it's Irrational. They don't appear to have farmed it out (Gearbox, anyone?) and they have a pretty solid track record.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox'] It comes out to $48 after discount and you get $20 in BC back.[/QUOTE]
You referring to the 20% "screw up" discount? I don't have that. Or is there another discount I'm missing?

[quote name='Mooby']Actually I meant I wouldn't even play it at all~[/QUOTE]

I'm going to regret this, but why wouldn't you play it at all? Are you one of the few Bioshock haters?

[quote name='asheskitty']I've always been a PC gamer (had computers before consoles). First: Famicom Last: PS2 Slim (in silver)[/quote]
Nice! :D

I got my Bioshock 1 - Retail copy (week of release!) and the FREE GF copy. :D

[quote name='hal']You referring to the 20% "screw up" discount? I don't have that. Or is there another discount I'm missing?[/QUOTE]

He's talking about that screw-up. It's like one of the only things worth talking about on GG. I haven't bought anything from there in a while, but I have the discount and could help with pricing for anyone who doesn't have it. I'm sure there are some other kind CAGs who would as well.

You know, I was thinking maybe to get Bioshock Infinite as a pre-order but when I saw that season pass business I think I'll wait. Plus I got X-Com for $20 on Gamefly (half off + a 20% off coupon on top) two months after it came out so it may well be that BI will be $20 a couple of months after it comes out.

Ditto for Tomb Raider. I mean Hitman Absolution has gone on a steady decline and it's a fairly recent release.

2K and Square Eidos stuff tend to drop in price really fast.

I don't absolutely have to play this games on release date. I have plenty of games I still need to play, including the old Bioshocks and some of the old Tomb Raiders, so I think I'll manage for a bit.

[quote name='hal']I keep telling myself that it's Irrational. They don't appear to have farmed it out (Gearbox, anyone?) and they have a pretty solid track record.

You referring to the 20% "screw up" discount? I don't have that. Or is there another discount I'm missing?[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the one. Blade, me, or anyone with the discount will probably be happy to help you with it.

[quote name='Motoki']You know, I was thinking maybe to get Bioshock Infinite as a pre-order but when I saw that season pass business I think I'll wait.[/quote]
That's one of the big things that turns me off when even thinking of pre-ordering a game - Season Pass announced BEFORE a game is even released.

Granted, I very rarely pre-order games - unless the pre-order price/deals are crazy...which ain't often.

There's so little incentives these days to even go on to pre-order things anymore.

I don't absolutely have to play this games on release date. I have plenty of games I still need to play, including the old Bioshocks and some of the old Tomb Raiders, so I think I'll manage for a bit.
Good old "Backlog rule #1." ;)

Hi guys, do you know if the price of the Unreal Deal Pack is a good one? I love FPS and I love Quake but I haven't played UT games much.

[quote name='soulkyo']Hi guys, do you know if the price of the Unreal Deal Pack is a good one? I love FPS and I love Quake but I haven't played UT games much.[/QUOTE]
I got the same pack for $10 in Nov 2011, so it has been cheaper.

[quote name='paulcalypse']I got the same pack for $10 in Nov 2011, so it has been cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answer. I've checked and it was 9.99 7 months ago, so I'll just wait for a price drop :cool:

[quote name='MysterD']That's one of the big things that turns me off when even thinking of pre-ordering a game - Season Pass announced BEFORE a game is even released.[/QUOTE]

That's the craziest thing about the video game industry in my eyes. The developers and publishers always want the consumer to buy the product before it's even finished. In the case of some DLC, before they've even started it.

Borderlands 2 is the only season pass I ever purchased, and I regret even that one.

Slight side bar since we're on the subject of season passes, did Darksiders II complete its season pass before Vigil/THQ went bye bye? I know they released two expansions, but I feel like the status quo for a "Season Pass" is four.

That's a strange idea for a status quo. The one that's being discussed currently, Bioshock, contains 3. Saints Row had what, 3? And yes, Darksiders finished theirs. Quantum Conundrum had 2 and a soundtrack. So I'd say 4 is on the high end, at least for games without a competitive multiplayer focus.

hey guys wasn't really sure where to post this so i thought i should drop this here. I got a birthday coupon from Ubisoft (Uplay) for 30% off a digital download. I don't game on PC so i'm not gonna use it. First person to PM me for it can have it.

Ridge Racer Unbounded (geez I hate that name) "Full Pack" (Steamworks) on GG for $14. Comes with 4 DLCs. I don't recall it being cheaper anywhere else. I don't have the 20% "D'oh Discount" though which would cut it to $11 and change... sad. Ah well, it'll hit 75% off /$5 someday.

[quote name='Dreamweaver7']Ridge Racer Unbounded (geez I hate that name) "Full Pack" (Steamworks) on GG for $14. Comes with 4 DLCs. I don't recall it being cheaper anywhere else. I don't have the 20% "D'oh Discount" though which would cut it to $11 and change... sad. Ah well, it'll hit 75% off /$5 someday.[/QUOTE]
$12.24 on GG.co.uk

[quote name='Corpekata']That's a strange idea for a status quo. The one that's being discussed currently, Bioshock, contains 3. Saints Row had what, 3? And yes, Darksiders finished theirs. Quantum Conundrum had 2 and a soundtrack. So I'd say 4 is on the high end, at least for games without a competitive multiplayer focus.[/QUOTE]

Really? Being one number off of the most recent example is a "strange idea?"

Sure, I'll grant you the stipulation that single player only games lack the ability to offer "map pack" dlc in high numbers like multiplayer titles, but even Bioshock Infinite throws in a fourth dlc pack at "no additional cost" bumping it up to four for the time being.

So I don't consider four DLC items to be outside the realm of reason.

[quote name='Detruire']$12.24 on GG.co.uk[/QUOTE]

I'd be careful with that. Namco Bandai has been known to region lock some of their Steamworks games, like Inversion.

[quote name='gomikeoh']ridge racer unbounded is really bad. stay away.[/QUOTE]

Metacritic for the three platforms is around low 70s with some very respectable outlets giving it 9/10 including edge. Sounds like mostly positive reviews with a few people upset that its closer to burnout than classic Ridge Racer. Looks like fun to me but I can wait. It's just a bit over my buying point. I would do $5 or $7.50 with DLC.

[quote name='BoringPat']Adventure of Shuggy has been added as the final bonus for the Groupee Bemine Anniversary bundle.[/QUOTE]

Meh, but the other lineup is pretty good so I can't complain.

[quote name='BoringPat']Adventure of Shuggy has been added as the final bonus for the Groupee Bemine Anniversary bundle.[/QUOTE]

Solid indie platform game that can be infuriating in places. Better than a lot of last-minute bundle trash, but I suspect everybody has it by now :)

Fine platformer, only problem IMO is that is DRM-Free. Hopefully, I already have it.

[quote name='soulkyo']Fine platformer, only problem IMO is that is DRM-Free. Hopefully, I already have it.[/QUOTE]
I've received Stem key to it. Check your account again. You should also get one code.

Well that explains why so many have appeared on Steam Gifts - thanks!

[quote name='gomikeoh']ridge racer unbounded is really bad. stay away.[/QUOTE]

How very... articulated

[quote name='pROvIs']Metacritic for the three platforms is around low 70s with some very respectable outlets giving it 9/10 including edge. Sounds like mostly positive reviews with a few people upset that its closer to burnout than classic Ridge Racer. Looks like fun to me but I can wait. It's just a bit over my buying point. I would do $5 or $7.50 with DLC.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing this a bit recently. I'm about halfway through now. It's an interesting arcade racer that is inspired by Split/Second & Burnout and isn't too easy. I've been enjoying it. I have no clue about the hate on it. It's great. The one habit I've had to break while playing it is that by now we are habituated to map-based racers, so when you see landmarks you think you know from past experience what comes next. RR:U has a tile-based track editor (which encourages user created/shared tracks), so pretty much anything can come after that landmark you recognize.

I've posted about it before: (post from Jan)
^_^ I'm only two hours into in (and another hour on the demo on steam), but they have been a very enjoyable two hours. I've beaten the first district (of seven?) but not 100%ed it. I really like the time trial tracks as they are zany (In a way that I havent' seen much since the 90s). The only modern comparison for those time trial tracks is TrackMania.

[quote name='asheskitty']You're right $12.50 on steam included the DLC. ...that's where those extra cars came from -lol-
I haven't tried all the DLC cars, but they are starter cars, a little better than the base starter car, but probably not worth the $2.50 extra I paid for them since I outclassed them in less than two hours.

I've found to finish in the top 3 positions, I have to focus closely on catching-up/staying-ahead as opposed to playing for points (smashing rivals, buildings, collateral damage to the scenery). The good news is that RRU uses two parallel progress systems. One is based purely on points and you keep those points even if you finish last place. Those points act like XP and increase your rank and new cars unlock at higher ranks. The other scoring is stars for coming in 1st/2nd/3rd in a particular race. Once you have at least one star in every race in a district new district cap-stone race opens up, get one star in that and you "dominate" the district.

I was unable to place even 3rd (of 12) in the first race with the starter car in a few tries, but I earned enough points to rank up an get a new car with better acceleration/speed that allowed to place first. Also other races open up quickly, so being stuck on a particular race shouldn't be a problem until endgame.

Oh yes, and one point I hadn't emphasized, the most destructible environments I've seen in a racer... in fact the only game with more environmental destruction I can think of is Red Faction Guerrilla. (Split/Second's environmental destruction was all the rigged destruction, rather than say low concrete walls, parked cars, and the sort.)[/QUOTE]

Update to that post. The DLC isn't just starter cars. The difference in handing varies considerably (as well as speed & acceleration), so one of the DLC cars might just be the right balance for you.

[quote name='poxi']I've received Stem key to it. Check your account again. You should also get one code.[/QUOTE]

That's odd. This is how it looks here. :hot: No key for me...

Edit: Info on the Groupees Chat: "Steam keys for The Adventures of Shuggy are being assigned by the system, and will be in your account shortly."

Edit 2: Got my Steam key ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
New Weeklong Deals available up to 75% off. I'd post the individual prices, but that's a lot of work for games that you've already picked up in bundles.

Capsized
Krater
Gemini Wars
Section 8 Prejudice
Space Empires V
Stellar Impact

The daily deal is Ys Origin at 60% off ($7.99)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back