The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Grabbed the new Humble and paid the extra for the BTA. I missed the dungeon defenders last time it was BTA. Even though I have the base game, I didn't have any of the DLC. Toss in Super Hexagon, and the fact that it includes Android versions of the games, and I'm sold.

Speaking of OT :p

Just in case some missed the separate thread, Indie Game Stand is running a promo now for Bridge-It.

It's PWYW with $1 minimum to get a Desura key (they have been added now). The developer has also promised Steam keys if the game gets voted in through Greenlight.

He just posted today on Greenlight that it's currently at #25 so with this promo being launched now I think it has a good shot of getting in in the next few months or so.

[quote name='Motoki']
It's PWYW with $1 minimum to get a Desura key (they have been added now). The developer has also promised Steam keys if the game gets voted in through Greenlight.

He just posted today on Greenlight that it's currently at #25 so with this promo being launched now I think it has a good shot of getting in in the next few months or so.[/QUOTE]

Bought!

Hmm, I picked up Bridge-It through the GamersGate IndieFort bundles. According to him I'll be good to go for a Steam key if they make it through Greenlight.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Yeah, but the publisher spin for the higher ups can always be "Look how popular our game is" :roll:[/QUOTE]

EA doesn't give a sh!t about that and they won't be fooled if the money is not there.

Even if it is to a point, their standards for 'successful' are obscene.

Did anyone mention the new Bundlestars bundle?

$4.96 minimum gets you:

Tiny Troopers - Steam
Adam's Venture: The Search for the Lost Garden - Steam
Adam's Venture: Episode 2 Solomon's Secret - Steam
Mystery Title - Steam

Airport Control Simulator - Desura
Darkness Within - Desura
Darkness Within 2 - Desura
Armada 2526 - Desura
Real Heroes Firefighters - Desura
Mystery Title - Desura

The Adam's Venture and Darkness Within games look interesting, so I think I'll throw a fiver their way.

[quote name='Tsel']Did anyone mention the new Bundlestars bundle?

$4.96 minimum gets you:

Tiny Troopers - Steam
Adam's Venture: The Search for the Lost Garden - Steam
Adam's Venture: Episode 2 Solomon's Secret - Steam
Mystery Title - Steam

Airport Control Simulator - Desura
Darkness Within - Desura
Darkness Within 2 - Desura
Armada 2526 - Desura
Real Heroes Firefighters - Desura
Mystery Title - Desura

The Adam's Venture and Darkness Within games look interesting, so I think I'll throw a fiver their way.[/QUOTE]

yeah, there was talk about it a few pages back before the thread got back on topic.

I threw 5 their way too.

[quote name='warreni']I've been reluctant to pick up any "PSOne Classics" because I was never able to get the stupid machine to save my games on the hard drive and I can't possibly complete any game (pretty much) in one sitting. I don't know whether these are in this group, but I figure the PS2 ports might be the same deal.[/QUOTE]

Uh, what exactly is the issue you're having with being unable to get games to save?

Have you created a virtual memory card in the Playstation One save utility area on the XMB?

Some people on Reddit posted that Best Buy has a $30 off Borderlands 2 certificate you can claim if you signed up for the rewards account. I checked mine and it's there and good for the PC version too. I'm a free member not unlocked (paid) and it still showed up for me.

Some of the reddit guys are saying they are going to try to get BB to price match to Amazon who is selling it for $40 (same for the PC version too) and then use the $30 off voucher.

I might give it a try. Worst they can say is no but their policy does say they PM.

They usually do not PM AND allow you to use a coupon. It's one or the other. Of course, that is usually, but some people have lucked out and been able to get both applied, but it is pretty rare, at least amongst CAGs.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']They usually do not PM AND allow you to use a coupon. It's one or the other. Of course, that is usually, but some people have lucked out and been able to get both applied, but it is pretty rare, at least amongst CAGs.[/QUOTE]

This is true. Not worth the hassle IMO.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I read that its been crashing a lot for people. I'm not going to play it til the weekend so hopefully there are patches by then. No wonder there were no PC review copies given out.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the 666,666 reasons I often don't pre-order games and/or buy them week of release...
Let everybody else be the paying Beta testers...

EDIT:
[quote name='travathian']Always on DRM strikes again . . .
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/05/simcity-refund-ea-origin/[/QUOTE]
And, nobody is surprised.
Welcome back, #Error33.

Another of those 666,666 reasons I often don't pre-order games and/or buy them week of release - "Always online DRM" issues; and download/activation issues on Day 1.

Indie Gala Flash is live.

www.indiegala.com

Pay the minimum for:

Pathologic
The Abbey
Miner Wars Arena

BTA ($5.99 currently) for:

Earth Defense Force Insect Argmageddon + all DLC
Miner Wars 2081
Paranormal
and a bonus game that unlocks in 3 days.

Oh boy, not exactly on-topic but it seems the stuttering issues with Far Cry 3 are gone, there was a patch in the last day and now I can play at sub-60fps without it looking like a slideshow.

[quote name='spoderman']Indie Gala Flash is live.

www.indiegala.com

Pay the minimum for:

Pathologic
The Abbey
Miner Wars Arena

Miner Wars 2081
Paranormal
and a bonus game that unlocks in 3 days.[/QUOTE]

Getting this one for EDF and MIner Wars. Actually worth it. If it's a flash I doubt it'll have a HH, but we'll see.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Getting this one for EDF and MIner Wars. Actually worth it. If it's a flash I doubt it'll have a HH, but we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm thinking probably no HH... which is a shame since it's the first one I've been interested in for quite some time.

All the SimCity talk today has made me want to build some cities. I have a copy of SimCity 2000 somewhere and SimCity 4 on Origin, but I'm thinking about trying something new (to me). Any suggestions for something like that available on Steam, other than Cities XL?

[quote name='louiedog']All the SimCity talk today has made me want to build some cities. I have a copy of SimCity 2000 somewhere and SimCity 4 on Origin, but I'm thinking about trying something new (to me). Any suggestions for something like that available on Steam, other than Cities XL?[/QUOTE]

I liked Tropico 4 a lot better than I'm liking the new SimCity.

[quote name='Lint21']I liked Tropico 4 a lot better than I'm liking the new SimCity.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's what I should play. I have 1, 2, and 4 and haven't touched any of them.

[quote name='Mooby']Yeah I'm thinking probably no HH... which is a shame since it's the first one I've been interested in for quite some time.[/QUOTE]

i hope there is a HH. ill wait till the last minute for it. Ive been wanting EDF since it came out, but never wanted to pay full for it since Im not sure how populated the online community is. I love those mindless survival shooter games. Nothing else interests me in the bundle. I think i already have lik 3 copies of Paranormal from other bundles. The price is probably worth it just for EDF.

Repeating the BTA of the last HIB? That's a first.

Extremely disappointed in this one. Still going in for a buck for Beat Hazard Ultra though. I have the non-ultra version and it's good mindless fun (local multiplayer too).

It's nice to see all the bundle chat - Between Indie Gala, Indie Royale, and the latest Android Humble Bundle, there's plenty to appreciate.

When there's no seasonal Steam sale going on, a good bundle or group of bundles makes everything better.

EDIT:
[quote name='Idiotekque']Repeating the BTA of the last HIB? That's a first.

Extremely disappointed in this one. Still going in for a buck for Beat Hazard Ultra though. I have the non-ultra version and it's good mindless fun (local multiplayer too).[/QUOTE]
I believe that, since many of the featured games are making their Android debuts (Including Dungeon Defenders.), it's technically acceptable. Still, the only title I'm interested in is Dynamite Jack, which looks amusing.

[quote name='louiedog']Maybe that's what I should play. I have 1, 2, and 4 and haven't touched any of them.[/QUOTE]

+1 on Tropico 4. It's loads of fun. Plus what other game let's you play as Evita Perone?

I own a ton of games but there are very, very few I've put a lot of hours into and Tropico 4 is one of those.

[quote name='Motoki']+1 on Tropico 4. It's loads of fun. Plus what other game let's you play as Evita Perone?[/QUOTE]

Simadonna? SimMadonna? However it's titled, they should make it.

Damn, I picked up EDF for 20% off from GamersGate when Steam didn't have a discount over the winter sale. Only had the chance to play it once becuase the guy I was co-oping with has been busy.

[quote name='MysterD']
And, nobody is surprised.
Welcome back, #Error33.

Another of those 666,666 reasons I often don't pre-order games and/or buy them week of release - "Always online DRM" issues; and download/activation issues on Day 1.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I can't see how anyone would be surprised about the "always-on" requirement for the new SimCity. It's been talked about so much it was virtually a selling point (actually, it really was a selling point) for the game. The devs insist that it's needed for the kind of constantly-evolving "city ecosystem" that they're trying to create. I don't have a dog in the fight either way (I have a copy of SimCity 4 Deluxe I bought I don't even know how many years ago at GameStop that I haven't so much as installed), but it seems like a really odd thing to ding the game on at this point.

[quote name='spoderman']Indie Gala Flash is live.

www.indiegala.com

Pay the minimum for:

Pathologic
The Abbey
Miner Wars Arena

Miner Wars 2081
Paranormal
and a bonus game that unlocks in 3 days.[/QUOTE]

I'd grab this if I hadn't picked up Earth Defense Force during that last Steam sale (when it actually went on sale, unlike the Winter Sale!).

[quote name='warreni'] I don't have a dog in the fight either way, but it seems like a really odd thing to ding the game on at this point. [/QUOTE]

Your assumption is that everyone who purchased it somehow kept up with every developing story and tidbit on the game, and knows the full impact of shitty DRM.

I pay for a game, I expect to play it when I want, not when some dipshit company can get their crap together. If it is a completely MP/online type game, I think that is chance people take and understand. But remind me again how SimCity needs an always online DRM for what is essentially a SP game? It doesn't. And EA's horseshit about building a new community, different style of game, etc is a load of crap. SimCity has always been SP, if you want to add extra functionality to it, great! But that extra stuff shouldn't keep me from playing my game when I want to. It is a lame cover for lame DRM. Sad to see they didn't learn from Ubisoft's screw ups.

Tropico 3 or 4 are great alternatives.

[quote name='warreni']Honestly, I can't see how anyone would be surprised about the "always-on" requirement for the new SimCity. It's been talked about so much it was virtually a selling point (actually, it really was a selling point) for the game. The devs insist that it's needed for the kind of constantly-evolving "city ecosystem" that they're trying to create. I don't have a dog in the fight either way (I have a copy of SimCity 4 Deluxe I bought I don't even know how many years ago at GameStop that I haven't so much as installed), but it seems like a really odd thing to ding the game on at this point.
[/QUOTE]

If people are buying the game and having issues w/ downloading; activating; and staying connected (and the problem's obviously on EA's end and not yours); and losing saved-game progress - then yes, it's a problem.

From a general stand-point - if a game can easily be played SP-style w/out ANYBODY ELSE no problem, there's really no need to have "Always online DRM".
Also, if the online servers ever get pulled the servers and there's no offline mode patched-in, you're screwed.

As if games ain't "rentals" enough in many regards (install limit DRM; online activation requires; game might need to be tied to your account and often is then unable to be resold; etc etc), as is....

Also, worth seeing Polygon's review & reading the complaints over Twitter.
Polygon dinged the game (after its release) for major connection issue problems and lost of progress issues:
http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

I haven't had any problems with SimCity, though I did get it from Best Buy and installed it from the disc. The online stuff is kind of interesting and would be a nice option, but it isn't something I especially wanted from the game.

It's a good game. It's different than previous versions in some respects. It's more streamlined, though those that love to fiddle with every conceivable aspect may call it simplified. It's really more SimsCity than SimCity. It's growing on me, though I do miss some aspects of 3k and 4 so it won't replace either of those entirely.

I feel bad for those experiencing technical difficulties. There's no excuse for that. Still... all the nerd rage isn't completely justified.

Bought that flash Indie Gala.

Also let me tell you about Sim City. So there is a tutorial mode which they force on you. That's fine I wanna do that. So I load up the map, the tutorial wont start :lol:. Yes, this is happening.

I can't even be mad at the game now, it's just hilarious.

Grabbed the indiegala Bundle for EDF. New Humble bundle is weak, but tempted to toss a buck on it in case they add something I don't have yet to it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Bought that flash Indie Gala.

Also let me tell you about Sim City. So there is a tutorial mode which they force on you. That's fine I wanna do that. So I load up the map, the tutorial wont start :lol:. Yes, this is happening.

I can't even be mad at the game now, it's just hilarious.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like Crusader Kings 2. Step 4 or so of the tutorial is broke and won't let you progress, hence everyone says "look up tutorials on YouTube".

[quote name='Idiotekque']Sounds like Crusader Kings 2. Step 4 or so of the tutorial is broke and won't let you progress, hence everyone says "look up tutorials on YouTube".[/QUOTE]
Yeah I will do that tomorrow at work. Too late to bother now for me. Also thanks for that CK2 tip. When I someday install it, I will know what to do.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Sounds like Crusader Kings 2. Step 4 or so of the tutorial is broke and won't let you progress, hence everyone says "look up tutorials on YouTube".[/QUOTE]

To be fair that's just one section of the CK2 tutorial. You can skip past it and get about 95% of the tutorial still, you just can't finish the stuff about different map overlays.

[quote name='hal']I haven't had any problems with SimCity, though I did get it from Best Buy and installed it from the disc. The online stuff is kind of interesting and would be a nice option, but it isn't something I especially wanted from the game.

It's a good game. It's different than previous versions in some respects. It's more streamlined, though those that love to fiddle with every conceivable aspect may call it simplified. It's really more SimsCity than SimCity. It's growing on me, though I do miss some aspects of 3k and 4 so it won't replace either of those entirely.

I feel bad for those experiencing technical difficulties. There's no excuse for that. Still... all the nerd rage isn't completely justified.[/QUOTE]

So my two cents on Sim City 2013 is that I agree with you on the more casual nature of it. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but I don't know that it's necessarily Sim City either.

I do, however, somewhat resent the trying to almost force people into the social features and really what almost feels like a Facebookization at times. I mean the whole 'visit your neighbor's city' is very Farmville.

I think the nerdrage is somewhat justified because all of this social and hence the always online nature of the game (and the not being able to play the game the some have experienced because of it) could have, and in my opinion, should have been made optional. I don't care if it's there but let people play the game however they want. No good can come from trying to force people to play a way they don't want to play.

I feel like it's arrogance. This is how our game is and this is how you should play it. Why? It reminds me of Johnathan Blow in Indie Game: The Movie going on and on about how people were not getting his artistic vision and how they were 'doing it wrong'. Or maybe they just got enjoyment out of playing his game in a different way than he intended and maybe that's not a bad thing.

I know people who play The Sims and never actually created a single Sim. They just build houses and basically use it as an architectural simulator. It's not wrong, it's just different. If they get enjoyment out of playing that way who cares? Would it help those players if you arbitrarily tried to force them to make sim families and advance in careers in order to get to the building part? No, it will just piss those people off and drive them away, and those are people who want to like the game.

I feel like they are doing this with Sim City 2013. These issues came up time and time again in interviews prior to the game and they refuse to listen. I never have read a good reason for the forced integration of the social features and always online DRM that comes hand and hand with that. The arguments always read to me like 'Because we want it that way'.

I can also say that I first hand experienced EA's servers glitching out in the past and not letting me play a game that I paid for because of their connection scheme that failed (Dragon Age: Origins) and it sucks and does piss people off.

But back to this whole social/always online Sim City business, if it's an EA thing because they think is will cut down on piracy and Blizzard got away with it and/or they still think social gaming is hot shit and PC gaming needs more of it to attract the masses and issued some mandate then call a spade a spade. But if it's just the people who made the game trying to force everyone to play it their way then they are being asses as far as I'm concerned.

/soapbox.

Blah, exactly when did computer games become all social and socially acceptable?

It kinda makes me miss the days when the answer to the question, "So do you have any hobbies?" of "I like to play computer games." was only slightly more acceptable than "I like to drink." but at the same time less socially acceptable than "I go to cat shows every weekend."

Anyone surprised? Like everything else in the AAA industry these days: dumbed down/mainstreamed. Not sure why anyone expects anything other than Facebook integration, QTEs, overemphasis on graphics, tepid console ports, etc. etc.

[quote name='asheskitty']
It kinda makes me miss the days when the answer to the question, "So do you have any hobbies?" of "I like to play computer games." was only slightly more acceptable than "I like to drink." but at the same time less socially acceptable than "I go to cat shows every weekend."[/QUOTE]

I've solved that problem by responding with "I like to drink and play computer games."

Eh, Indie Gala Flash at $5.33 BTA right now. Not so sure I want to pay that for Miner Wars 2081, EDF, and the unknown game. Have they been adamant about not having another Happy Hour? I keep seeing posts about it, but I thought they weren't going to have one last time and did anyway.

@Blade, well, weren't the happy hours after the first week? And this bundle doesn't run that long. That said, anything's possible. The Simulator bundle never got a HH, and they make twitter noises against HH.

[quote name='asheskitty']Blah, exactly when did computer games become all social and socially acceptable?

It kinda makes me miss the days when the answer to the question, "So do you have any hobbies?" of "I like to play computer games." was only slightly more acceptable than "I like to drink." but at the same time less socially acceptable than "I go to cat shows every weekend."[/QUOTE]

I have no problems w/ games like Diablo 2, Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 1 - where I can play my campaign offline or online. It's up to me. I don't have to always depend on both game company's server; and/or any troubles w/ my Internet connection from either my end and/or my ISP's end.

I like that in TDU2 PC, I have the option to play the game offline at my own whim; or go take the game online and play w/ other racers. It's up to me.
And if there's any problems on Atari's servers or on my end - hell, I'll just play the game offline.

I like that in Sims 3 PC (since Showtime expansion), it's up to ME if I want to sign-in to play online w/ extra features into my Origin account...or not.

OPTIONS are a good thing.

{Sarcastic line coming} Oh, I so can't wait until the day we're paying to "rent" games that are stored up in THEIR Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back