The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Idiotekque']Divine Divinity is probably my second favorite Diablo style ARPG (behind Titan Quest), and Divinity 2 is just awesome. If you don't have either of those, buy the Anthology, seriously. Two completely different style games, yet they're both awesome.

I haven't played Beyond Divinity, but I've heard both good and bad about it. Probably the weakest of the three, but still worth the price. Larian is great.[/QUOTE]

Wow. That is high praise. Exciting thanks.

[quote name='Idiotekque']The gameplay is a lot different than Fable or Skyrim though. It's basically a medieval TPS. Sort of like an MMO the way you map your abilities to your hotkeys and execute them on the fly (think The Secret World or SWTOR), but completely on a platformer/action style real time combat system.

It's good. It can be crazy difficult too if you don't train and gear up accordingly. Jumping into the battle with Amdusias? Holy shit.[/QUOTE]

Well, combat feels similar to say Fable.
And like Fable, Div 2: DKS definitely can be comedic and funny.
And even throw some in-jokes your way, too.

I made the Skyrim comparison b/c Div 2 is a open-world game.
Well, okay - not many games are probably as open as Skyrim, but Div 2 is an "open to an extent" kind of game (like most of these so called "open-world" games).

[quote name='crzyboy88']Anyone else get a 25% Bit.Trip Runner 2 coupon?[/QUOTE]

Speaking of coupons I still have an 85% off of Serious Sam 3: BFE that expires on May 1st. Anyone want it? I'm not going to use it.

[quote name='MysterD']Well, combat feels similar to say Fable.
And like Fable, Div 2: DKS definitely can be comedic and funny.
And even throw some in-jokes your way, too.

I made the Skyrim comparison b/c Div 2 is a open-world game.
Well, okay - not many games are probably as open as Skyrim, but Div 2 is an "open to an extent" kind of game (like most of these so called "open-world" games).[/QUOTE]
I dunno man, Fable combat almost feels like... Ratchet and Clank. Whereas Divinity 2 combat is closer to like... Earth Defense Force.

Weird comparisons, I know, but honestly Divinity 2 plays like a third person shooter... with bows/swords/magic instead of guns. Fable is extremely slower and simpler when it comes to combat, while Divinity 2 is extremely crisp and exact when it comes to controls.

But I understand the Skyrim open world comparison.

New FGOTM from IGN Prime.

This time it's DRM-free Escape Goat. You'll get a gift url from Humble Bundle, which you can then redeem to your e-mail address. And you can claim the page on your account after you open the e-mail.

Quite a laborious task, but free is free.

I actually came here to post about Evoland because it looks really cool, But everyone seems to be hip to it already. Ill be looking for that one on sale.

[quote name='Blade']New FGOTM from IGN Prime.

This time it's DRM-free Escape Goat. You'll get a gift url from Humble Bundle, which you can then redeem to your e-mail address. And you can claim the page on your account after you open the e-mail.

Quite a laborious task, but free is free.[/QUOTE]

cool! Wasn't wanting to pay for it, but I did hope to eventually play Escape Goat:D

EDIT: doy, didn't realize it was prime only :whistle2:(

[quote name='Motoki']Don't get me started. Lord British why you gotta do us like that?

He has some fantasy that the pinnacle of PC gaming is playing with other people and it will be all happy fluffy bunnies and everyone will be respectful and have this great experience role playing that you can't have in a single player game. Right.[/QUOTE]

Lord British died in 1997, and was immediately replaced by a sinister doppelganger.

[quote name='Blade']New FGOTM from IGN Prime.

Quite a laborious task, but free is free.[/QUOTE]
Grabbed it on IGS for a penny or five cents... whatever it was before they upped the minimum to a quarter.

I think that was one of the first two or three games they offered.

[quote name='Mac the Geek']Lord British died in 1997, and was immediately replaced by a sinister doppelganger.[/QUOTE]

Really? I heard that everything was fine until his spaceflight in 2008. When he came back he was.... different.

[quote name='louiedog']Really? I heard that everything was fine until his spaceflight in 2008. When he came back he was.... different.[/QUOTE]

This is starting to sound like the plot of Lifeforce.

New deal on GetLoadedGo.

2 games for $10, all Steam:

Mafia II
Darksiders II
Spec Ops: The Line
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Batman Arkham City
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Civilization V
Borderlands Game of the Year Edition
Just Cause 2
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition
Dirt 2
Quantum Conundrum

[quote name='jshackles']New deal on GetLoadedGo.

2 games for $10, all Steam:

Mafia II
Darksiders II
Spec Ops: The Line
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Batman Arkham City
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Civilization V
Borderlands Game of the Year Edition
Just Cause 2
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition
Dirt 2
Quantum Conundrum[/QUOTE]

Arkham City isn't the GOTY edition?

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']Arkham City isn't the GOTY edition?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but I would suspect it's just the base game since they have the suggested price set to $19.99

If someone orders it and it turns out to be the GoTY edition, let us know!

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is Battlefield: Bad Company 2 at 75% off ($4.99)[/QUOTE]
Single player campaign in this was a lot of fun for me. First person with AI squad mates, a good deal of humor and doesn't take itself too seriously as a trite plot (stop the stolen mega-weapon from being used to destroy America) has you world hopping and rolling through farmland, jungle, tundra and desert.

It's like the drunk cousin SpecOps is ashamed of at Christmas ;)

Edit: I originally said "third" person but I was mistaken. And maybe drunk.

[quote name='jshackles']I saw a news article today saying that PC gaming (even big studios with AAA titles) these days is more or less crowdfunded production with the ruse of selling a product. I thought that was kind of profound and actually makes a lot of sense with what we're seeing not only on Kickstarter but also with season passes, DLC, and the like.[/QUOTE]

I think that's true for smaller games and mid size developers but can't possibly be true for the larger productions. Most high production value games cost in the 10's of millions to make (many more than that) and no amount of pre-order or kickstarter dough is going to get you that kind of cash.

Post release content (like abominable) season passes are a different story though.

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is Battlefield: Bad Company 2 at 75% off ($4.99)
Vietnam is $3.74 and the SPECACT Kit Upgrade is $1.49[/QUOTE]

Finally. I've been waiting a couple of years for Bad Company 2 to once again hit $4.99. I passed on it last time it hit that price and I've regretted it ever since.

Looks like Vietnam is just Multi-play, so I'll pass on that. What's the deal with the SPECACT Kit though? The steam store description makes it sound like it's just a couple of skins. But that can't be right...can it? $5.99 for a couple of skins when the game is $19.99? There's gotta be something else there that they forgot to mention.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']Battlefield 2: Complete Collection is also on sale for $4.99 (75% off). SteamPrices show the Battlefield games haven't been 75% off since July 2011.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out. That's another EA game off my wishlist. Outside of a bunch of Sims expansions, I'm pretty much only missing Medal Of Honor now.

So is the best controller to play Steam games with still the official Xbox 360 wireless controller?

[quote name='Blackout']So is the best controller to play Steam games with still the official Xbox 360 wireless controller?[/QUOTE]

If you're playing any PC games with a controller, the X360 controller is pretty much the default at this point.

[quote name='Mooby']The best controller to play Steam games with is...

...a mouse!
[/QUOTE]

True, but I'm still getting the hang of mouse/keyboard and want to try out a controller for the more "complicated games" while I ease in. I know, I'm a wimp. :)

What mouse pads do you guys use to keep your hand/wrist comfortable for long gaming sessions? I'm using a regular old mouse pad I got at Best Buy or something and it's killing my hand/wrist after extended use. Is there a soft one out there anyone could recommend?

I'm the last person to ask as I use a fairly inexpensive ($30ish) logitech mouse and standard pad. Of course I usually don't play things for longer than an hour at a time.

[quote name='Blackout']What mouse pads do you guys use to keep your hand/wrist comfortable for long gaming sessions? I'm using a regular old mouse pad I got at Best Buy or something and it's killing my hand/wrist after extended use. Is there a soft one out there anyone could recommend?[/QUOTE]

I bought mine years ago when I was into competitive first-person-shooters, where a good mouse pad was a must. I still have mine, though I'm uncertain whether or not it's still considered one of the best. http://steelseries.com/products/surfaces/steelseries-qck

Would something like this be good? I'm mainly looking at for the cushion wrist support. My keyboard has something similar and it makes typing a lot easy on the hands.

This is the mousepad I'm using, and I have zero complaints about it. The responsiveness is perfect, mouse movement is good, all in all no complaints whatsoever. Pretty cheap too.

I've honestly not heard much good about using the padded mousepads, but hey, you figure out what's comfortable for you. That's the important thing.

Also, Pid's a buck on Indie Game Stand.

Comes with a Steam key and a GOG key, and you can beat the average ($1.10 or so right now) for... something. I honestly don't know, but it's a dime. (Oh, now I see, it's a bunch of concept art/art book kind of stuff.)

Interestingly, when I redeemed the pid code on GoG, it indicated that the code would otherwise expire on March 19, 2014. So... I guess if you buy it, don't just let your code sit unused for a year.

[quote name='DPsycho']Interestingly, when I redeemed the pid code on GoG, it indicated that the code would otherwise expire on March 19, 2014. So... I guess if you buy it, don't just let your code sit unused for a year.[/QUOTE]
That's odd. I'd imagine if you emailed GOG or IGS support if you for some reason didn't redeem the key in time, they'd give you a new one. Still, good to know...

[quote name='Blackout']So is the best controller to play Steam games with still the official Xbox 360 wireless controller?[/QUOTE]

Controllers are personal preference. Wired/wireless 360, Logitech F310 (wired/no rumble) F710 (wireless rumble), DualShock 3 (USB or bluetooth) w/MotionInJoy all work easily. Oddly a few games take some issue with the Wirless 360. The single best one is the Logitech F710 because the logitech ones have switch on the bottom to switch between Xinput (360, castrated version of DirectInput) and DirectInput (controller support for older pre-360 games on PC, also has easy key mapping software for games that need reconfiguring or don't have controller support).

Of course controllers are largely personal preference. I have a Logitech F510 and a DualShock 3, and usually prefer the DS3; I have small hands.

[quote name='Blackout']What mouse pads do you guys use to keep your hand/wrist comfortable for long gaming sessions? I'm using a regular old mouse pad I got at Best Buy or something and it's killing my hand/wrist after extended use. Is there a soft one out there anyone could recommend?[/QUOTE]

IMO, it really don't matter nowdays with optical/laser, now back when mice had balls....

For your castrated mice, as long as they can track without issue it's preference. I prefer thin fabric topped mouse pad.

If you're hurting your position is wrong (and quite possibly whole body position), you want to have your mouse and keyboard close to you so that you are not having to reach or stretch or put weight on your wrists. Generally if you bring them close and at the right height (forearms should be parallel to the ground/wrists slightly lower than your elbows. Close is the key.

[quote name='Blackout']Would something like this be good? I'm mainly looking at for the cushion wrist support. My keyboard has something similar and it makes typing a lot easy on the hands.[/QUOTE]

While I like keyboard wrist wrests (even better is flat laptop style keyboards w/o wrist rests, I have had several mouse pads with wrist rests and hated them.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Also, Pid's a buck on Indie Game Stand.

Comes with a Steam key and a GOG key, and you can beat the average ($1.10 or so right now) for... something. I honestly don't know, but it's a dime. (Oh, now I see, it's a bunch of concept art/art book kind of stuff.)[/QUOTE]

Hmm, thanks! Only 4 stars on GOG though (the treshold of acceptable on GOG's overinflated stars)...

Edit: After reading some reviews, I'm thinking $1.10 is too rich for my blood. ...also, I'm suspecting we'll see in the the bundle circuit soon.

[quote name='Idiotekque']That's odd. I'd imagine if you emailed GOG or IGS support if you for some reason didn't redeem the key in time, they'd give you a new one. Still, good to know...[/QUOTE]

It's also likely that the code doesn't actually generate until you request it, but best to play it safely.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Single player campaign in this was a lot of fun for me. First person with AI squad mates, a good deal of humor and doesn't take itself too seriously as a trite plot (stop the stolen mega-weapon from being used to destroy America) has you world hopping and rolling through farmland, jungle, tundra and desert.

It's like the drunk cousin SpecOps is ashamed of at Christmas ;)

Edit: I originally said "third" person but I was mistaken. And maybe drunk.[/QUOTE]

I have bought BF: Bad Company 2 during the last sale. I found it to be a OK/mediocre shooter. There were simply too many turret sequences. The FPS levels were kinda fun. The story really is empty. You don't get to know your team member (although it say Bad Company in the title) and, without subtitle for dialogue, I had a hard time getting what the NPCs were bantering about.

For BF: BC2 single player campaign, I gave it a 3/5. (CoD4 4/5)

Can't comment on the MP, since I don't play online MP.

[quote name='Mooby']The best controller to play Steam games with is...

...a mouse!
[/QUOTE]

The only genres I really prefer a mouse/kb for are Strategy (which I rarely play), ARPGs and MMOs. For everything else I use a wired 360 controller. If I plan to play a shooter online, I will get it for a console so I'm on even ground with everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back