The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Or give it to the Total War guys. Sega already owns a huge chunk of the RTS market, but I would be fine with more. I mean quite honestly the only decent game I seen Gearbox do in the past few years (never played Brother's in Arms, no interest) is Borderlands anyway.
[/QUOTE]

So you want Homeworld 3: Total War...?

[quote name='MysterD']So you want Homeworld 3: Total War...?[/QUOTE]
I didn't know Relic developed the Homeworld series. My bad. I thought they only did CoH and Warhammer. I think it could be interesting though a space themed total war though.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I didn't know Relic developed the Homeworld series. My bad.[/quote]
Homeworld was the series Relic did BEFORE they did WH and CoH.
That's absolutely why I suggested them (Relic) to do a Homeworld 3.

I thought they only did CoH and Warhammer.
Nope.

I think it could be interesting though a space themed total war though.
Yes, that probably would be interesting to see Creative Assembly try to do a crazy-epic space strategy game...
...Though, I'm betting many want to see Relic do a HW3.

[quote name='MysterD']Homeworld was the series Relic did BEFORE they did WH and CoH.

Yes, that probably would be interesting to see Creative Assembly try to do a crazy-epic space strategy game...
...Though, I'm betting many want to see Relic do a HW3.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I would rather see Relic do a HW3 but I think Creative Assembly should just make up their own universe for a galaxy total war.

I also don't wanna see Homeworld ruined. I mean, I don't wanna see something like that XCOM FPS come out of the license :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yeah I would rather see Relic do a HW3 but I think Creative Assembly should just make up their own universe for a galaxy total war.[/quote]
Yeah, that'd be pretty cool to see.

I also don't wanna see Homeworld ruined. I mean, I don't wanna see something like that XCOM FPS come out of the license :lol:.
Same here.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yeah I would rather see Relic do a HW3 but I think Creative Assembly should just make up their own universe for a galaxy total war.

I also don't wanna see Homeworld ruined. I mean, I don't wanna see something like that XCOM FPS come out of the license :lol:.[/QUOTE]

While it wasn't true to the xcom style, that game did look a bit interesting. Rumor is they are rebranding it as The Bureau.

[quote name='Preedatore']While it wasn't true to the xcom style, that game did look a bit interesting. Rumor is they are rebranding it as The Bureau.[/QUOTE]
Which is fine, to rebrand it as something else - fine with me.
I don't think anybody wanted to see *that* game labeled as an XCOM game.
When people think XCOM, they think strategy game.

When people think Syndicate, people think strategy game.
Who knows what EA's thinking... {Shrug}

[quote name='Preedatore']While it wasn't true to the xcom style, that game did look a bit interesting. Rumor is they are rebranding it as The Bureau.[/QUOTE]

And you got your pure XCOM at the same time with EU, so what was the harm in having the FPS spin-off as well?

[quote name='Eldredpe']And you got your pure XCOM at the same time with EU, so what was the harm in having the FPS spin-off as well?[/QUOTE]

Same reason I think Halo FPS gamers probably didn't really want Halo Wars RTS.

[quote name='MysterD']Same reason I think Halo FPS gamers probably didn't really want Halo Wars RTS.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I never played Halo Wars, but I didn't consider it to tarnish the franchise.

And didn't most people agree that Warhammer 40k: Space Marine was surprisingly enjoyable?

It doesn't always turn out poorly.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Which is why I never played Halo Wars, but I didn't consider it to tarnish the franchise.

And didn't most people agree that Warhammer 40k: Space Marine was surprisingly enjoyable?

It doesn't always turn out poorly.[/QUOTE]

On another note - has Relic ever really made a bad game, though?
{shrug}

[quote name='MysterD']On another note - has Relic ever really made a bad game, though?
{shrug}[/QUOTE]

The Outfit hardly knocked it out of the park.

[quote name='Eldredpe']The Outfit hardly knocked it out of the park.[/QUOTE]

Just looked it up; never heard of it.
Didn't realize Relic made that.
Well, I'll be damned... {Shrug}

EDIT:
[quote name='Preedatore']The Outfit was pretty bad.

Halo Wars was pretty good.[/QUOTE]
Has Ensemble Studios ever had a bad game?

[quote name='Idiotekque']I don't really care who owns Homeworld, the nice thing is that they're pushing to get HW1 and 2 available on the current market, i.e. Steam.[/QUOTE]

Homeworld 1 and 2 digital re-releases = would be good thing. :D

[quote name='Idiotekque']I don't really care who owns Homeworld, the nice thing is that they're pushing to get HW1 and 2 available on the current market, i.e. Steam.[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome! I still have my old disc copy of HW1 installed, but I've never played Cataclysm or HW2. I'd love to see them pop up on Steam and/or GOG.

I don't think Relic has much of the Homeworld staff these days anyway. I think even Stardock still has more ex-Homeworld developers.

[quote name='Eldredpe']The joke's on all of you, really.

Homefront was the prequel to Homeworld.[/QUOTE]
Home was the prequel to Homefront.

It's amazing what they can do with story arcs these days.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Which is why I never played Halo Wars, but I didn't consider it to tarnish the franchise.

It doesn't always turn out poorly.[/QUOTE]

I guess but I still thought it was terrible. As I've said before, Relic should stick to making strategy games because that's what they're good at.

Steam been having a lot of boring deals lately. Also still love how EA hates Steam, but any games they had on before Origin get discounted to death by them.

[quote name='Rirse']Steam been having a lot of boring deals lately. Also still love how EA hates Steam, but any games they had on before Origin get discounted to death by them.[/QUOTE]

Any deals on EA games through the Steam store are authorized by EA as the publisher for that price. Valve has nothing to do with it, except possibly reaching out to see if EA would find such a sale amenable.

EA is a large corporation. It competes with Steam. It doesn't loathe them on principle.

So Star Trek released today and Dead Island Riptide yesterday but Don't Starve gets plastered all over the front page? (and yes I realized it was Dead Island a little bit ago)

Who did someone frak to make that happen?

[quote name='Motoki']So Star Trek released today and Dead Island Riptide yesterday but Don't Starve gets plastered all over the front page? (and yes I realized it was Dead Island a little bit ago)

Who did someone frak to make that happen?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming I'm still on your block-list, but my store background is Dead Island: Riptide.

[quote name='Motoki']So Star Trek released today and Dead Island Riptide yesterday but Don't Starve gets plastered all over the front page? (and yes I realized it was Dead Island a little bit ago)

It's whoever pays Valve money for the advertising spotlight.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I'm assuming I'm still on your block-list, but my store background is Dead Island: Riptide.[/QUOTE]

It seems to switch between the two. I saw the Don't Starve version of the page earlier, but I just went back to the stream page right now to check, and it's back to Dead Island Riptide.

EDIT: And now back to Don't Starve. So I guess they're both featured games today.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I'm assuming I'm still on your block-list, but my store background is Dead Island: Riptide.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Don't Starve was my background sometime last week. Maybe your cache needs cleaning, Motoki?

I was also wondering this, especially since the new Star Trek movie is coming out next month you'd think they wouldn't skip out on the advertising bucks.

I'm getting my copy on the Xbox 360 though. My son and I want to play through together (as Kirk and Spock) but I don't want to shell out $100 for two Steam copies. Too bad the PC version doesn't have split-screen local multiplayer like the console version does. :(

It's switching back and forth for me too so I guess both are 'featured' and it's random which shows up. Never seen that happen before. Odd. Can't recall too many indie games that got that big page plaster treatment either but eh, whatever works.

[quote name='jshackles']I was also wondering this, especially since the new Star Trek movie is coming out next month you'd think they wouldn't skip out on the advertising bucks.

I'm getting my copy on the Xbox 360 though. My son and I want to play through together (as Kirk and Spock) but I don't want to shell out $100 for two Steam copies. Too bad the PC version doesn't have split-screen local multiplayer like the console version does. :([/QUOTE]

Yeah I kind of want to play Kirk and Spock with a friend, I think a lot of people would, but no combo deal kind of kills it. It looks fun but not $100 fun. :p

[quote name='Motoki']
Yeah I kind of want to play Kirk and Spock with a friend, I think a lot of people would, but no combo deal kind of kills it. It looks fun but not $100 fun. :p[/QUOTE]

Luckily for me, the person I want to play through with lives with me. I'm surprised there isn't a 2 pack discount, considering the game is basically being marketed as a "2 player game". I'll play through it co-op on the Xbox, and probably pick it up on Steam after it's inevitable 75% off sale and / or price drop (if it's good!).

[quote name='Motoki']Yeah I kind of want to play Kirk and Spock with a friend, I think a lot of people would, but no combo deal kind of kills it. It looks fun but not $100 fun. :p[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a good bonding experience that should ensure that the person has been and always shall be your friend.

So in addition to them leaving out split screen or local co-op in the new Star Trek game for PC, apparently 3D only works with nVidia approved setups. Seems like a sloppy console port.

Xbox 360 it is!

[quote name='louiedog']That sounds like a good bonding experience that should ensure that the person has been and always shall be your friend.[/QUOTE]

LOL

74efah.jpg

[quote name='seamoss']As if further proof was needed that Phil Fish (Fez dev) is a jerk:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/224760/discussions/0/828936719094418300[/QUOTE]

lol

[quote name='Phil Fish']edit: thanks for an amazing first day on steam! we're all amazed by the reaction so far! we're going to need some kind of spreadsheet calculator to keep track of all these sales![/quote]

I think I'm just going to wait until Fez gets bundled, and donate all of the money to charity. BTW, that thread got locked by a mod.

[quote name='spoderman']lol

I think I'm just going to wait until Fez gets bundled, and donate all of the money to charity. BTW, that thread got locked by a mod.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm going to do. I refuse to give that man money.

After watching Indie Game the Movie, I have to feel at least a little proud of all Fish went through to make the game, but I have to agree he really isn't the kind of indie dev I feel good supporting. I won't boycott his game, which I find very fun and charming, but come on Phil. Grow up and learn to not be such a douche to everyone:whistle2:(

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']After watching Indie Game the Movie, I have to feel at least a little proud of all Fish went through to make the game, but I have to agree he really isn't the kind of indie dev I feel good supporting. I won't boycott his game, which I find very fun and charming, but come on Phil. Grow up and learn to not be such a douche to everyone:whistle2:([/QUOTE]

You know, all through the first half of that movie I was rooting for Fish and kept thinking what a jerk his ex-partner must have been (even though they never really explain what actually happened between the two). By the end of the movie I was having a few doubts about Fish's "maturity", and now I'm pretty certain he just needs to grow up and stop acting like a troll. Like spoder says, I'll wait till it's bundled and give the money to charity (for once, I won't support the dev).

Based on the last couple of days, if Fez ends up in a HIB that I make a thread for I need to remember to include specific instructions on how to use the sliders for individual developers because not everyone realizes you can go that deep. While there are worse things than giving your entire bundle payment to charity, I'd hate for the people who make the other games to suffer as a result.

[quote name='louiedog']Based on the last couple of days, if Fez ends up in a HIB that I make a thread for I need to remember to include specific instructions on how to use the sliders for individual developers because not everyone realizes you can go that deep. While there are worse things than giving your entire bundle payment to charity, I'd hate for the people who make the other games to suffer as a result.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that was possible, but that's awesome and yes please do that.

[quote name='Mooby']The sad thing is Fez isn't even a particularly good or creative game. People just buy it because of hype.[/QUOTE]

WRONG. Fez is fantastic. It is, however, brutally scarred by a TERRIBLE map system (I quit 4/5 of the way through because of it), and some performance issues (on the 360, - can't speak for the PC).

[quote name='Mooby']The sad thing is Fez isn't even a particularly good or creative game. People just buy it because of hype.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed the 360 trial, but I can see how many wouldn't like it. I agree though that he has way to high an opinion of his own product. I mean, there isn't anything wrong with liking something you've spent so much time making, but the way he's trying to sell it as, previously put in this thread "God's gift to gaming" is a vast overstatement.

Clearly though, this is almost a perfect marketing tool for him. He gets all the buzz, which gets people interested one way or another. No press is bad press as they say, eyh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back