The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LazyTriangle']I thought anyone could change it since the OP is a wiki post and it can be edited[/QUOTE]

Anyone can change the contents of the OP, but not the title.

No offense to eastx but he's kinda bad with titles. Check the Steam trade thread, crappy title there too.. and it's been like that for ages.

[quote name='Severose']And that's why you live in Hawaii.

Just kidding. ;)
[/QUOTE]
Fine, paniolo douchebag hipster.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I thought anyone could change it since the OP is a wiki post and it can be edited[/QUOTE]
Nope, I learned from the GOG deals thread that only the OP can change the title, wiki or not. Annoying little detail.

If it's anything like the last "wiki post" that I edited someone probably changed the title weeks ago but had their edit rejected yesterday.

20130510201433steam.png

I think I might have overdone it with the sub categories. The ones left open I can't decide where to put, but I think this is mostly fine. Funny, I spend more time organizing my games these days than actually playing them:lol:

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I can understand where you're coming from - sort of - but the thought of you all having non-alphabetized Steam lists still makes me feel itchy under my skin and keeps me up at night.

Some call it OCD; I call it the only thing between us and total anarchy.[/QUOTE]

Tch, yeah...I prefer not to use labels...? :roll: Unlike some people, I find it demeaning to the developers to categorize their games under one specific genre. My conhecido (that's Portuguese for acquaintance, by the way) Phil Fish totally agrees, maybe you've heard of him?

Oh, and in case you didn't already know, the completely banal Awesomenauts is IGN Prime's FGOTM. Sorry if you can't get free games because you're not a big deal, like I am, but it's pretty mainstream anyway.

3qvsx8.jpg

[quote name='Blade']Tch, yeah...I prefer not to use labels...? :roll: Unlike some people, I find it demeaning to the developers to categorize their games under one specific genre. My conhecido (that's Portuguese for acquaintance, by the way) Phil Fish totally agrees, maybe you've heard of him?

Oh, and in case you didn't already know, the completely banal Awesomenauts is IGN Prime's FGOTM. Sorry if you can't get free games because you're not a big deal, like I am, but it's pretty mainstream anyway.

3qvsx8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Damn you, that pic made me think Blockland got greenlit, so I had to double check!

[quote name='MysterD']The largest category for ANY CAG member should be "BACKLOG." :p[/QUOTE]

yes it should but mine is more what type of game it is like from coop first if it shooting games or any but stragety

[quote name='Blade']Tch, yeah...I prefer not to use labels...? :roll: Unlike some people, I find it demeaning to the developers to categorize their games under one specific genre. My conhecido (that's Portuguese for acquaintance, by the way) Phil Fish totally agrees, maybe you've heard of him?[/QUOTE]

Your recent commitment to this bit is admirable.

[quote name='Severose']
Steam game categories? People actually have a "finished" category?[/QUOTE]
I have a beaten category and then I have a separate replay category for games I really like and would like to go back and replay one day.

[quote name='Genocidal']
e8dLadV.png

This is all you really need.[/QUOTE]

It would be if it had a category for Mac and beta titles. I love seeing 5 different beta titles as well as their actual releases in my library as much as the next person, but in reality I don't.

Of course the monstrosity that is Duke Nukem Forever may also deserve its own category. It doesn't even deserve being recognized as a game, but simply as a mess of ideas designed as a torturous device for those that really want to lose all their faith in humanity.

Not a Steam deal but Need for Speed: Most Wanted is $20 with the Deluxe DLC on Origin.

The Deluxe DLC includes:
Terminal Velocity Pack - best DLC
Movie Legends Pack
Need for Speed Heroes Pack

[quote name='shrinerr']With the CAG community, if your largest category isn't "Indie Bundle trash", you are only lying to yourself, which isn't healthy at all.[/QUOTE]

i stopped buying indie bundles for this very reason

There is only one true way to label a steam library- textless grid. I'm around 10 grids away from my library being completely textless. It's just hard to find/make a decent looking grid for Doom Rails and Horrid Henry.

[quote name='Genocidal']
e8dLadV.png

Agreed, this also how I have my steam library set up except there is a third category for games I have finished. There is about 10 games in the favorites section mostly the ones I'm currently playing or plan to play in the next couple of weeks, then the bottom part is the backlog which includes hundreds of unplayed games, some of which I don't remember buying.

I love how the playercard in Frith's sig says:

"You Need a Budget 4 (YNAB)
played 15.1 hours past two weeks"

Not only is that comical in its own right, but even itself it begs the question, YNAB?

[quote name='Severose']I love how the playercard in Frith's sig says:

"You Need a Budget 4 (YNAB)
played 15.1 hours past two weeks"

Not only is that comical in its own right, but even itself it begs the question, YNAB?[/QUOTE]

It's sad.

My only excuse is my wife leaves it open... It's a terrible one. But, it's all I've got. I don't play games anymore.

[quote name='Mooby']I don't have any categories. Then again I don't have OCD requiring me to organize my digital games~[/QUOTE]

I assume you keep all of the files on your computer thrown out haphazardly on your desktop, as well?

[quote name='Idiotekque']You "found this"... while searching "hot ginger on ginger action". Am I right or am I right?[/QUOTE]
no, lmao for that all I need is a mirror . :lol:

[quote name='Frithsblessing']It's sad.

My only excuse is my wife leaves it open... It's a terrible one. But, it's all I've got. I don't play games anymore.[/QUOTE]

How do you like the software? I been thinking about getting an expense monitoring/budgeting program and its really the only one I know of besides quicken.

The file I'm thinking of is sharedconfig.vdf

likely location:
Steam/userdata/{userid}/7/remote/sharedconfig.vdf

I'm not sure but I suspect steam's cloudsync is the culprit.

Pinball FX is wonderful. It's always nice to see games get on PC and off XBLA just for something much closer approaching permanence.

That said, even THAT "permanence" is fleeting with how crippled this stuff gets when Steam is down. And seeing how badly AMD drivers have hurt running Max Payne 2, it's enough to get anyone antsy.

All that aside, it's good pinball. That said, it's still just pinball. The 5 minute table demos are about all I need.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Pinball FX is wonderful. It's always nice to see games get on PC and off XBLA just for something much closer approaching permanence.
[/QUOTE]

They will likely just keep releasing Pinball FX (aka Zen Pinball) on future consoles/phones until the company closes so there's not much worry about it losing "permanence". That said, in 10 years I doubt there'll be many people still looking to play it.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I assume you keep all of the files on your computer thrown out haphazardly on your desktop, as well?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I assume you keep all of the files on your computer thrown out haphazardly on your desktop, as well?[/QUOTE]

I've basically gotten to the point where I can't stand having any desktop icons outside of my computer and recycle bin (and they are probably going to get the boot soon too). Maybe I'm OCD, but the thought of having shortcuts on the desktop for tons of steam games is just incredibly annoying:cold:

I have 4 vertical rows of shortcuts on 1920x1200 desktop now. I used to be super OCD about everything had to have there own little folders (also going in and renaming songs I have downloaded to "my" proper format.) It was all just to much damn work now I dont care, also having 1600+ Steam games means I will NEVER EVER try to go thru that shit.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I've basically gotten to the point where I can't stand having any desktop icons outside of my computer and recycle bin (and they are probably going to get the boot soon too). Maybe I'm OCD, but the thought of having shortcuts on the desktop for tons of steam games is just incredibly annoying:cold:[/QUOTE]

I did this a while ago. I just have Rainmeter docked on top with my most used programs/most visited websites, recycle bin, and computer heuristics. Love having my CPU usage and up-time always visible, so I know when to turn off my computer. Then any notes I need to take are stored on the right-hand side.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I don't use desktop icons anymore, Rocketdock keeps my screen nice and clutter free plus it looks nicer, I also have rainmeter for clock and weather info. My desktop looks something like this.[/QUOTE]

that's pretty nice looking, I'm going to have to check rocketdock out:)

My desktop is nothing but a background and Rainmeter for weather, time, and battery life. I just like seeing the whole background picture.

For my desktop I use Fences, which it looks like you can jump through hoops and get it for free still. It lets me hide all my icons with a double click, avoiding mess.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I don't use desktop icons anymore, Rocketdock keeps my screen nice and clutter free plus it looks nicer, I also have rainmeter for clock and weather info. My desktop looks something like this.[/QUOTE]

Oooh, I like how the Game List pops in and out.
I want something like that!

Are you using Rocketdock or Rainmeter for that?

EDIT:
[quote name='plft']For my desktop I use Fences, which it looks like you can jump through hoops and get it for free still. It lets me hide all my icons with a double click, avoiding mess.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've been using Fences for years.
I think I need something better than that & w/ more power than that, honestly.

[quote name='MysterD']Oooh, I like how the Game List pops in and out.
Are you using Rocketdock or Rainmeter for that?[/QUOTE]

That's is a rocketdock addon called stack docklet, its a little bit difficult to install
(its resets everytime you turn your computer off, unless your install it with administrative rights)
but is totally worth it. You can download rocketdock here and the stack docklet here. Rocketdock is highly customizable too, there are tons of icons, skins packs on the main site and deviantart to get it to look the way you want.

@Lazy
Thanks for the information!
I got Rocketdock & Rainmeter installed.
Gonna have to check those out.

I'm guessing all these add-ons go right in the Rocketdock folder or something?

[quote name='MysterD']@Lazy
Thanks for the information!
I got Rocketdock & Rainmeter installed.
Gonna have to check those out.

I'm guessing all these add-ons go right in the Rocketdock folder or something?[/QUOTE]

Yep, if you take a look inside the rocketdock folder, there should be a folders for skins, icons, docklets, etc.. just download and install it to the corresponding folder

Dear god. With all these daily Steam sales, do you guys ever get a chance to play any of them? I've acquired over 20 games since I got my laptop last week and now I'm scared.

[quote name='AshesofWake']Dear god. With all these daily Steam sales, do you guys ever get a chance to play any of them? I've acquired over 20 games since I got my laptop last week and now I'm scared.[/QUOTE]
20, lol.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']Yep, if you take a look inside the rocketdock folder, there should be a folders for skins, icons, docklets, etc.. just download and install it to the corresponding folder[/QUOTE]

Thanks!
I been testing out Stack Docklet V2 here w/ RocketDock - this is nice. :D
Much better place to put all my games and whatnot - to be able to expand and close these stacked-docklets!

[quote name='AshesofWake']Dear god. With all these daily Steam sales, do you guys ever get a chance to play any of them? I've acquired over 20 games since I got my laptop last week and now I'm scared.[/QUOTE]

Play games? Silly CAG, games are for backlogs.

[quote name='Idiotekque']20, lol.[/QUOTE]

This. Just wait. I went back to PC in March. I had 4 Steam Games then... I'm at 319 now...

Does anyone knows wich of the NFS on sale features more car customization? It's one feature I really like and I heard new Most Wanted and others don't have much to offer.

[quote name='Estbarul']Does anyone knows wich of the NFS on sale features more car customization? It's one feature I really like and I heard new Most Wanted and others don't have much to offer.[/QUOTE]

You mean NFS: U2 style? None of them really do. Undercover and HP don't. Shift iirc has more performance tuning... but I've tried to blackout Shift.

play games? who play games here?

[quote name='asheskitty']You mean NFS: U2 style? None of them really do. Undercover and HP don't. Shift iirc has more performance tuning... but I've tried to blackout Shift.[/QUOTE]

I knew you'll answer hah Too bad, was one of the best features in NFS U2, but I don't play NFS since MW I think so I'm kinda out from it, thanks for the answer, guess I'll pass over those two then.

[quote name='Genocidal']
e8dLadV.png

Almost.

I do that in Games List form, but then I also separate them through installed / uninstalled.

I'm considering reorganizing the games by category just like other folks here have, but Steam is much faster in Games List than Games Details for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back