The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna wait on Bioshock because I own basically all those free games, except for maybe Mafia 2 which I have no interest in.

I did however grab that Indie Gala bundle. They had me at $5 guilty gear game. It's DRM free so I could care less about redeeming it on GG.

it's cute the way you guys have a little thread party goin on here and bioshock infinite looks great and all but I feel like everyone is missing the enormity of the fact that

ONE OF THE GREATEST AND MOST DELIGHTFUL TURN-BASED STRATEGY GAMES EVER, THE ORIGINAL WORMS ARMAGEDDON, IS NOW AVAILABLE ON STEAM

[quote name='supershammy']it's cute the way you guys have a little thread party goin on here and bioshock infinite looks great and all but I feel like everyone is missing the enormity of the fact that

ONE OF THE GREATEST AND MOST DELIGHTFUL TURN-BASED STRATEGY GAMES EVER, THE ORIGINAL WORMS ARMAGEDDON, IS NOW AVAILABLE ON STEAM[/QUOTE]

it was available before..but you had to take it in the b-hole and i believe preorder worms revolution to get it

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Gonna wait on Bioshock because I own basically all those free games, except for maybe Mafia 2 which I have no interest in.

I did however grab that Indie Gala bundle. They had me at $5 guilty gear game. It's DRM free so I could care less about redeeming it on GG.[/QUOTE]
it's the estranged lovechild of the Guilty Gear series, don't be too excited...

this a not a deal or related to steam at all but since there isn't a thread to discuss it (that I know of) and since this particular thread is the most active in the deals section, I thought I'd give you a heads up. Newegg just sent me an email for a survey, if you take five minutes to complete it they will give you a $10 gift card or a 8GB USB3.0 flash drive for your input

7UUNLFK.png

http://i.imgur.com/7UUNLFK.png?1 [link to image, if you can't read the one above]
I'm not sure what it takes to be considered a "valued customer" but I did spend a lot of money on newegg a couple of years ago when I built my first gaming rig and again last year when I built a second gaming pc for my brother. So anyways, be on the lookout for this email if you shop from newegg regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Drakey']The Walking Dead Survival Instincts is $20 in Australia.

looks like a bad game tho[/QUOTE]

It's a very bad game. Game devs are trying to capitalize on the popularity of the series, so it's basically a Street Fighter (the one with Jean-Claude Van Damme).

Get Telltale Game's TWD if you want a good game. Avoid all the hastily-made rubbish.

[quote name='sittinghawk3']That newegg email is probably only emailed to certain customers. Have you built a new pc recently?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LazyTriangle']
I did spend a lot of money on newegg a couple of years ago when I built my first gaming rig and again last year when I built a second gaming pc for my brother.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Drabelincoln']it was available before..but you had to take it in the b-hole and i believe preorder worms revolution to get it[/QUOTE]

it's true, that was the only way, and when the preorder phase ended the game was not available for individual or bundled purchase after that. That is, until yesterday. So hooray!!

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm wondering if they'll add more games. Didn't they last time? All I want for now is Lume. I may see if hubby wants Spellforce.[/QUOTE]

They're supposedly gonna add 3 bonus games, if that's what you're asking. They don't usually add games to the main bundle though, they've only done that once. Wait until they do a 1 game minimum promo, if all you want is 1 game, I'm sure they'll do one before the bundle ends.

[quote name='supershammy']it's cute the way you guys have a little thread party goin on here and bioshock infinite looks great and all but i feel like everyone is missing the enormity of the fact that

one of the greatest and most delightful turn-based strategy games ever, the original worms armageddon, is now available on steam[/quote]

woot woot

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm wondering if they'll add more games. Didn't they last time? All I want for now is Lume. I may see if hubby wants Spellforce.[/QUOTE]

But, but....

You don't have the Oddworld games.

How can you say there's nothing else you want if you don't have those?

If I buy the Mass Effect DLC Pinnacle Station while it's on sale over on Origin, is there any way that I could get that to work in my Steam version of the game?

If the answer is no and the Origin version wont work, is there any other way to get that DLC on my steam version? Buying through the BioWare site, maybe?

[quote name='The End']If I buy the Mass Effect DLC Pinnacle Station while it's on sale over on Origin, is there any way that I could get that to work in my Steam version of the game?

If the answer is no and the Origin version wont work, is there any other way to get that DLC on my steam version? Buying through the BioWare site, maybe?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I have an answer to your question, but I wonder if Origin will recognize an installation of Mass Effect and give you credit for owning it. I know it works for some games (like Alice: Madness Returns) but hasn't worked for others (Like Mirrors Edge).

[quote name='The End']If I buy the Mass Effect DLC Pinnacle Station while it's on sale over on Origin, is there any way that I could get that to work in my Steam version of the game?

If the answer is no and the Origin version wont work, is there any other way to get that DLC on my steam version? Buying through the BioWare site, maybe?[/QUOTE]

I made it work shortly after Origin launched, but there are some hoops you will have to jump through. I don't believe you can use Origin to install it. You have to download it through Origin, grab the install file that is hidden somewhere, and then... I forgot the rest. I believe I found the answer on a forum somewhere. I may still have the instructions on my desktop, but I am at work right now.

Edit: Reading on Bioware and Steam forums, it seems that installing Pinnacle Station through Origin even if you have the Steam version should work, because the installer will now search for your Mass Effect install directoryl

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']If your Steam copy of Mass Effect has a serial you should try to activate it on Origin. If it activates, that solves your problem?[/QUOTE]

It does have a serial. The only thing is you have to use the old activation on the origin support page it links I can't find it right now. But you can't right click mass effect on steam to get the cd key. Instead you must go to the library list view the normal view, and go to the mass effect game and highlight it and on the right hand side you should see VIEW CD KEY and click that. That key should register to your origin account via the activate page for games older than 2008. Also if I remember right there was a free DLC for registering your Mass Effect game, I think I got that one to work with the steam copy, it is possible it would work, but to guarantee it just register it to your origin account. I hope this helps.

I must confess I'm terribly excited about FFVII being added, but managed to control myself with the rationale that "it'll probably cost something stupid like fifteen quid".

It's £4.99 on the Squeenix store. That's basically the cost of a pizza.

SO buying at launch.

[quote name='Flowette']I must confess I'm terribly excited about FFVII being added, but managed to control myself with the rationale that "it'll probably cost something stupid like fifteen quid".

It's £4.99 on the Squeenix store. That's basically the cost of a pizza.

SO buying at launch.[/QUOTE]

I'm more excited about Final Fantasy VIII, to be honest.

Triple Triad is calling my name again.

[quote name='jshackles']Picked up the complete Groupee's bundle, stellar deal.

Also I saw that achievements were added to Final Fantasy VII and VIII (!) on Steam:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

Can't wait.[/QUOTE]
So I bought these on PSN, but hell I would rebuy them for Steam. Haven't played either one yet, lol.

I wish they would release IX. I would buy IX day one, even though I bought it twice now.

Shoot, I wish they'd just release ALL the Final Fantasies on Steam. And while they're at it, if they could release the rest of their library of RPGs, that would be freaking sweet, too. I might never see other people again.

I used Pinnacle Station on my last run through on Mass Effect 1 on Steam. But that was back when it was still the EA Download Manager, so I have no idea if it any changes happened since.

[quote name='plft']Hydrophobia is on sale for $.99. I think I might finally bite.[/QUOTE]

It's honestly not as bad as everyone says it is. It's an adventure game with exploration, combat, and survival. It's not that long, but both the voices and story are decent. Now that they've updated the game, it's fairly good.

[quote name='pacino408']It's just Dark Souls :)[/QUOTE]

Heh. Oops. Carryover from typing Natural Selection 2. :)

What I meant was Demon's Souls 2: We Called This One Dark Souls Because Sony Owns the IP and We Wanted To Sell Enough Copies to Turn a Profit.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So I bought these on PSN, but hell I would rebuy them for Steam. Haven't played either one yet, lol.

I wish they would release IX. I would buy IX day one, even though I bought it twice now.[/QUOTE]

IX wasn't released on PC like VII and VII though, so I don't see it happening.

[quote name='elessar123']IX wasn't released on PC like VII and VII though, so I don't see it happening.[/QUOTE]

Also, IX wasn't as good as the others, unless you like cookie-cutter, super-deformed characters, random story interjections, and frogs. :p

But I've found that Final Fantasy games are like losing your virginity. Your first might not be the best, but it keeps a special place in your heart. Unless you were forced to play it, in which case I'm sorry you were molested, kupo.

A lot of the indie sales are pretty underwhelming, but the price on the A Valley Without Wind Dual Pack 4-Pack ($11.74) is pretty excellent.

$2.81 a piece for both games.

[quote name='Blade']
But I've found that Final Fantasy games are like losing your virginity. Your first might not be the best, but it keeps a special place in your heart. Unless you were forced to play it, in which case I'm sorry you were molested, kupo.[/QUOTE]

VIII was my first, so as it turns out I don't actually like Final Fantasy, but rather menu management and elaborate card mini-games.

[quote name='Eldredpe']VIII was my first, so as it turns out I don't actually like Final Fantasy, but rather menu management and elaborate card mini-games.[/QUOTE]

VIII was also my first, but my favorite is IV... I think the theory is invalid =P

[quote name='jshackles']Also of note on the Indie sale are the Carpe Fulgur games, which almost never get a discount.[/QUOTE]

Except during the last couple of major sales, when they have been on sale. Last winter they were all 75% off.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Except during the last couple of major sales, when they have been on sale. Last winter they were all 75% off.[/QUOTE]

Three winters ago Recettear was in a bundle of 5 games for $5.

It's still worth it at 66%, though.

Really cool game.

[quote name='Blade']Also, IX wasn't as good as the others, unless you like cookie-cutter, super-deformed characters, random story interjections, and frogs. :p

But I've found that Final Fantasy games are like losing your virginity. Your first might not be the best, but it keeps a special place in your heart. Unless you were forced to play it, in which case I'm sorry you were molested, kupo.[/QUOTE]

Opinions of FF games are numerous and varied. Back in the day, I kept hearing how disappointing VIII was in comparison to VII, yet the game has its fans. There are a lot of people who like X, but I find it overrated.

To be honest, I knew nothing about IX until recently, and that game definitely has fans. I've been playing it on my PSP, and personally I like it, but it doesn't stand out like some of the other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back