The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Izod517']Sucks I missed that. I'm interested at $1.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Missed it by a couple of hours after we finally got our internet connected. :cry:

For all the rage Saints Row 3's DLC got, I really appreciate how it was largely clearly labeled: Silly Clothes DLC, Novelty Cars DLC, Novelty Gun DLC, Cheat DLC, etc. I wish more games were as upfront about it. (Yes, I bought a fair bit of the Novelty DLC.)

That's pretty much what I expected. It's been awhile since an FPS has been more than 15 hours (AND worthwhile). That fits in with my personal $1/hr of entertainment model putting BS:I at a $15 value for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Izod517']http://store.steampowered.com/app/8190/

Just Cause 2 is $3 on Steam. That's hard to beat. I know lots of people have it already and some people are selling it in the trade thread, but it's right along this price.[/QUOTE]

This has been on my wish list for a while. Was about to bite when I read the blurb about this only working with DX10 cards. Does that mean it's totally incompatible with my Nvidia 8800 GTX?

[quote name='Blaq']This has been on my wish list for a while. Was about to bite when I read the blurb about this only working with DX10 cards. Does that mean it's totally incompatible with my Nvidia 8800 GTX?[/QUOTE]

8800 GTX is a DX10 card, as far as I know.

Just Cause 2 runs on my 8800GT without problems.

[quote name='Blaq']This has been on my wish list for a while. Was about to bite when I read the blurb about this only working with DX10 cards. Does that mean it's totally incompatible with my Nvidia 8800 GTX?[/QUOTE]

A google shows that it runs, just not great. But it seems fine on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_x-NWTgOs

If you're not bandwidth limited - I'd try the demo first.

[quote name='Izod517']That's pretty much what I expected. It's been awhile since an FPS has been more than 15 hours (AND worthwhile). That fits in with my personal $1/hr of entertainment model putting BS:I at a $15 value for me.[/QUOTE]

Because Bioshock's gameplay design bakes a lot of exploration and foraging and collecting and shopping in the cake. ANY game can stretch content to more hours with that ethic.

I have loved the series since SS2 and will no doubt enjoy Infinite but I can't stand rating games based on hours especially when it skews the design styles toward the most easily padded subgenres

Just cause 2 is a great game, especially for $3, then if you want any of the DLC (at minimum I would recommend the black market aerial pack with parachute thrusters and a bad ass fighter jet) you can pick them up during the next steam sale. There is also a group working to get Multiplayer working on it (I apparently missed another one of their public beta tests in February).

[quote name='Rsmobile']Because Bioshock's gameplay design bakes a lot of exploration and foraging and collecting and shopping in the cake. ANY game can stretch content to more hours with that ethic.

I have loved the series since SS2 and will no doubt enjoy Infinite but I can't stand rating games based on hours especially when it skews the design styles toward the most easily padded subgenres[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree. Forcing hours of gameplay onto the user just for the case of adding more "content" is poor design. Enjoyable gameplay is paramount - given my limited game time now, it's even more important than ever to me that the gameplay content is actually engaging and not just padded for the sake of making it seem like it's more than crap.

OK, my backlog is just ridiculous. So it's time that I started making a dent in it. I've put together a list of games that I probably should have played by now, and I'm gonna work my way through it. I'm not gonna buy any new games
(with the exception of indie bundles or crazy price mistakes or limited time deals like the various bundles that Amazon has in the works)
until I've played 80% of the games on this list.

Where do you guys think I should start?

Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations

I might slip in the occasion casual game or two in-between games to avoid playing games that are too similar back-to-back. Otherwise, I'll be sticking to this list.

[quote name='The End']OK, my backlog is just ridiculous. So it's time that I started making a dent in it. I've put together a list of games that I probably should have played by now, and I'm gonna work my way through it. I'm not gonna buy any new games
(with the exception of indie bundles or crazy price mistakes or limited time deals like the various bundles that Amazon has in the works)

Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations

I might slip in the occasion casual game or two in-between games to avoid playing games that are too similar back-to-back. Otherwise, I'll be sticking to this list.[/QUOTE]

My vote goes for Sleeping Dogs. Or maybe more recent. Then I would say Dishonored.

[quote name='The End']OK, my backlog is just ridiculous. So it's time that I started making a dent in it. I've put together a list of games that I probably should have played by now, and I'm gonna work my way through it. I'm not gonna buy any new games

Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations

I might slip in the occasion casual game or two in-between games to avoid playing games that are too similar back-to-back. Otherwise, I'll be sticking to this list.[/QUOTE]
Alphabetical Order thats how Im doing it. Plus you cant go wrong with starting on Bastion.

Where do you guys think I should start?[/QUOTE]

I'm too lazy to find my post, since I think it was in the previous thread, but I suggested a three tier system for backlog crushing strategy. So far I have 'completed' six games in the last six weeks.

The End, your backlog has some outstanding games.

DX:HR, Dishonored, Rochard, Sonic Generations, Sleeping Dogs, Portal 2, Mirror's Edge. It's a bit of a crime that you haven't played these.

Alternate Rochard/Sonic with a first person game. Avoid mixing Dishonored/DX:HR as they are the same genre but both worth playing. Same for Portal 2 and ME.

[quote name='The End']Where do you guys think I should start?
Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations
[/QUOTE]
Portal 2, Sleeping Dogs, or Prey depending on what kind of game you feel like atm.

Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations

Go with bastion. Won't take you long to beat it and you can move on to the next and closer to refilling your back log

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']My vote goes for Sleeping Dogs. Or maybe more recent. Then I would say Dishonored.[/QUOTE]
This.

Followed up with SR3. Sonic Generations every so often.

Alright, thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll start with Sleeping Dogs since it was mentioned by most of the people who made a suggestion. After that, I think I'll take Drabelincoln's suggestion and play Bastion since it short and different from Sleeping Dogs. Then I'll flip a coin between Deus Ex HR & Dishonored.

Here's what I've done with my almost 1000 unplayed games: I pick one of each kind and play them through simultaneously. This means one RPG, one platformer, one puzzler, one pointy-clicky-adventury, etc. I usually have 4-5 games going on at any point in time though I usually focus on a couple during each week. This way I don't get bored from playing the same game all the time.

Some games, like Braid, I played over the course of a year or two, solving a puzzle whenever I felt like it. Other games like Civ basically have no "ending" so they're always installed. Similarly for puzzlers like Tidalis or Bejeweled, which stay installed until I get sick 'n' tired of them.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Go with bastion. Won't take you long to beat it and you can move on to the next and closer to refilling your back log[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's short, probably about average. I think I clocked between 7 and 8 hours. The good thing was it didn't feel terribly long.

Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations

Oh, man...you got some awesome stuff in there.

Dishonored; Sleeping Dogs; Bastion; Deus Ex: HR; SR: The Third; & Mass Effect 1 + 2 are awesome.
Pick something from my choices.

EDIT:
[quote name='Izod517']But if he does SR3 before SR2 he'll hate SR2![/QUOTE]
SR2 is good....
...but My God - SR3 is an insane, crazy, ridiculous, over-the-top, crass, hilarious & witty blast.
SR3 is MUCH better than SR2, IMHO.

Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations
[/QUOTE]
I tend to go after the ones that are easiest to finish off in a reasonable amount of time. So I'd avoid Civ4, Saints Row, and Sonic.

Mirror's Edge and Prey can be polished off rather quickly. Portal 2 is not far behind that, followed by RTCW and HL2 Episodes. Those are all excellent choices to begin with.

A bit of Rochard and Sonic in between would be a good palate cleanser - both can be picked up and played at will.

Deus Ex: HR, Dishonored, Far Cry are all shorter than the remaining games.

You really can't go wrong with any of those. That's a high quality backlog!

Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations

I beat Return to Castle Wolfenstein this fall, and found it quite satisfying.

I was sort of impressed with myself. (And the poor quality of the forced stealth mission is absolutely overblown.)

Just a divergent opinion to consider.

[quote name='hal']I tend to go after the ones that are easiest to finish off in a reasonable amount of time. So I'd avoid Civ4, Saints Row, and Sonic.

Mirror's Edge and Prey can be polished off rather quickly. Portal 2 is not far behind that, followed by RTCW and HL2 Episodes. Those are all excellent choices to begin with.[/QUOTE]
That was my thought as well. If you're trying to clear backlog, you don't want to get into an open-ended game where you can sink a hundred hours and still not "won". Hit the shorter story-based games with real endings first. Play a game like Civ 4 or SRTT and it can be three weeks later and you're still building pyramids or hitting cops with a dildo bat.

[quote name='Preedatore']I wouldn't say it's short, probably about average. I think I clocked between 7 and 8 hours. The good thing was it didn't feel terribly long.[/QUOTE]

This is true, I think it took me like 6 or 7 but it def didn't feel that long

Civ 4 isn't really backlog material. I guess you could argue winning a single game is "beating it" but it's hardly the type of game you can beat in the context of all those other games on the list.

i think i'm gonna throw bioshock to the backlog to keep playing the preorder bonus XCOM. why didn't anyone tell me it was so good? o wait, that's right, everyone told me that.

[quote name='vince_carter']i think i'm gonna throw bioshock to the backlog to keep playing the preorder bonus XCOM. why didn't anyone tell me it was so good? o wait, that's right, everyone told me that.[/QUOTE]

Quite ironic, but I guess that'll inspire me to through XCOM onto the backlog. Honestly just figured I would never even consider playing it. Perhaps some day though, post-BioShock maybeh.

[quote name='Chalk']Quite ironic, but I guess that'll inspire me to through XCOM onto the backlog. Honestly just figured I would never even consider playing it. Perhaps some day though, post-BioShock maybeh.[/QUOTE]

i thought the same thing until i watched the giant bomb quick look and decided to give it a shot, haven't been able to put it down since

[quote name='vince_carter']i think i'm gonna throw bioshock to the backlog to keep playing the preorder bonus XCOM. why didn't anyone tell me it was so good? o wait, that's right, everyone told me that.[/QUOTE]

Wait - are you going to backlog Bioshock 1 or Bioshock Infinite?

[quote name='MysterD']Wait - are you going to backlog Bioshock 1 or Bioshock Infinite?[/QUOTE]

infinite, i beat bioshock back when it came out. great game.

here's a steam key for one of the 14 people on earth who never played it

CDC0G-7ETFC-Q7KFT

[quote name='vince_carter']infinite[/quote]
If I bought that game, I seriously would NOT backlog it.
I'd be ALL over that!
It's one of my most anticipated games of 2013 and of all time.

i beat bioshock back when it came out. great game.
I've been through it 2x's.

CDC0G-7ETFC-Q7KFT
Thanks for Bioshock: Infinite! j/k. ;)

I ain't taking Bioshock 1 from you.
Already own it from Retail (day of release!) and FREE copy from GameFly giveaway.

Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations

damn this is a slap in the face, I have these same games and haven't played them. :cry:

[quote name='vince_carter']infinite, i beat bioshock back when it came out. great game.

CDC0G-7ETFC-Q7KFT[/QUOTE]

I swiped your key. Thanks! I've been meaning to play it, especially with all of this talk of Infinite.

[quote name='sunasun']damn this is a slap in the face, I have these same games and haven't played them. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I won't even list my backlog.
It's ridiculous - and then some...

[quote name='stapleking']I swiped your key. Thanks! I've been meaning to play it, especially with all of this talk of Infinite.[/QUOTE]

i'm glad someone got it who legit never played it, amazing game with a real slick narrative

Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations

Here is my recommendation. First off for shooters, start with RTCW (If you don't start with a FPS that is fine but make Wolfensetin your first FPS you play). Just because it's how many years old now.

My recommendation is to alternate between genres/lengths. For example, start with something either short or long, then vary it up with the opposite. So if you start with Braid, go to Saints Row next or something. This way your not just chugging through 3-4 long games at once, vary it up.

Also save Civ IV for last. You don't really beat Civ IV, there isn't a story mode. Civ is more about starting a game and playing it out. Games can take 5+ hours on the low end easily, and dear lord is this game addicting. It even spawned a board game which I own. Play it last so after you finish your backlog go to this so you don't get addicted and waste time, :lol:.

[quote name='Chalk']Quite ironic, but I guess that'll inspire me to through XCOM onto the backlog. Honestly just figured I would never even consider playing it. Perhaps some day though, post-BioShock maybeh.[/QUOTE]
XCOM is deceiving because oh it's free for your Bioshock Preorder but goddamn that game is fucking awesome. If you got that GMG preorder with Civ V and XCOM, oh god.... :lol:

[quote name='The End']Bastion
Braid
Civilization 4
Dishonored
Farcry
Half Life 2 Episodes
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Prey
Rochard
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations[/QUOTE]

Prey isn't very good. It's a short FPS that you can play when you have nothing else to play, which most likely won't happen. I played it on 360, the console practically built by and for FPS games, and didn't even want to finish it. Same bland level designs, same abilities, same gameplay throughout all of the 18 or so chapters, some of which only consist of one enemy spawn in one room. I had more fun with Duke Nukem Forever. As far as this list goes, you should definitely save Prey for last.

Start up Portal 2 after you're finished with Bastion. It's a great game. Play co-op with mics (and some booze, if you're so inclined) and you'll have a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back