The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xanchui']Congratulations! As an SSC Gold member, you have been randomly selected to receive a code for Mini Ninjas from SAPPHIRE Select Club.

Holy crap, why does no one ever mention right off the bat that the biggest difference between KF and L4D is that coop is all there is in the former, and it's half of the latter. The best part of L4D is PvP/TvT. But yeah, the L4D community has become godawful.

Datbeansed, I still have a handful of decent, patient, helpful L4D players on my list, so a friendly game made up of people from within the same communities has potential for not being awful. Anyone interested can post something in the CAG Steam groups, or hit me up on Steam.

[quote name='asheskitty']Wow! I'm surprised no one mentioned this gem is coming to GOG.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna pass on it because it doesn't accommodate Ultima VII's Voodoo memory manager.

[quote name='asheskitty']Wow! I'm surprised no one mentioned this gem is coming to GOG.[/QUOTE]

Was pretty funny April Fool's prank from GOG. Could only wish it was real ; ;

[quote name='mnuttster']I kinda want KF but everyone says L4D2 is way better overall...but for less than $3 almost can't pass up[/QUOTE]

L4D2 is fun with friends but not in public groups or with bots. KF is fun with just about any public group and solo (but you'd better know all the tricks if you're going solo). KF has really addictive gun play and is way more intense.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Comparing them is an obvious occurrence, but they really are two completely different games. Killing Floor is very enjoyable with friends. The concept is simple and rather limited, but it's still a great game, and for that price? Total no-brainer.

tl;dr Buy it.[/QUOTE]

I agree... they don't play the same at all.

A word of advice to anyone getting started with KF... take your time.
- Learn the maps. Find the trader and be ready to get there as the last zed in the wave goes down.
- Learn the trading menu. At higher levels you get less time to browse and most teams are in and out of there in seconds, so you have to know what you're going to buy.
- Play the appropriate difficulty. So you're a great FPS gamer and you always start new games on Hard, right? Forget that. You need to be at the appropriate level to receive bonuses or you become a liability to your team.
- Stay with the team and communicate, either verbally or via chat. If you see an area getting overrun or spot a Fleshpound... call it out.
- Play your role. Each class is good at something... find out what that is. Use the weapons that play to the bonuses granted that class. Advanced players sometimes use cross-class weapons, but you're better off learning those intended for you.

[quote name='mnuttster']I kinda want KF but everyone says L4D2 is way better overall...but for less than $3 almost can't pass up[/QUOTE]

Easily the best $3 you'll ever spend. I'd pick Killing Floor over Left 4 Dead any day of the week. L4D always felt too easy for me, sure there's harder modes but tons of scripted moments, and the infected don't feel "meaty" if that even makes sense.

In KF, you don't kill mobs with 1 bullet. Hence why I favor it, plus the mod community is huuuuge for this game, endless playability. Plus the job system actually makes you have to coop on Hell on Earth difficulty.

Maybe L4D/L4D2 has changed since I played it (last played it 2010) but I never looked back after a friend recommended me to Killing Floor.

If you haven't bought it yet.... BUY IT and give it a try though!

[quote name='Detruire']I've never been called a "****ing piece of **** noob" while I'm trying to play Killing Floor before. While trying to play L4D2, on the other hand....[/QUOTE]
I never really got into L4D2 but love the first one as long as its played with friends. Hit me up if you'd like to play (when my kid is not on lol)

Killing Floor, I suck with keyboard and mouse due to carpal tunnel cramping and can't seem to map it to xbox controller properly.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']I already own RO 1 RO 2 and KF. I doubt the KF DLC is worth 3$. Is it?[/QUOTE]

It's not ALL the DLC. It's missing the two most expensive ones.

And no.

Killing Floor DLC in this package is all cosmetic.

[quote name='Eldredpe']It's not ALL the DLC. It's missing the two most expensive ones.

And no.

Killing Floor DLC in this package is all cosmetic.[/QUOTE]
damn it, I just increased my purchase to the BTA and activated it. :cry:

Does Orcs Must Die 2 get tactical or deep, or is it mostly just 'put a bunch of synergistic traps down and shoot at everything that moves'? Is the 'complete' worth the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']Does Orcs Must Die 2 get tactical or deep, or is it mostly just 'put a bunch of synergistic traps down and shoot at everything that moves'? Is the 'complete' worth the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for assistance.[/QUOTE]
1. You pretty much described it in a nutshell.
2. Sure, if you enjoy it enough to want more weapons/traps/skins.

[quote name='Idiotekque']1. You pretty much described it in a nutshell.
2. Sure, if you enjoy it enough to want more weapons/traps/skins.[/QUOTE]

OMD2 dlc actually adds quite a few more levels too, it's not just traps and weapons. So yes the complete version of the game is worth it.

OMD2 is just hilariously fun. It's simple to grasp, just chaotic enough to keep you interested without feeling overwhelmed. OMD2 really shines in coop though.

[quote name='Mooby']Question is: Do I actually want to pay $1 for it?!?[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain you don't WANT to do anything.

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']Does Orcs Must Die 2 get tactical or deep, or is it mostly just 'put a bunch of synergistic traps down and shoot at everything that moves'? Is the 'complete' worth the upgrade?
[/QUOTE]

There are lots of different strategies you can take to complete a level. With the DLC there are a lot more options as well. On the normal level it gets somewhat hard towards the end, and in a few of the DLC levels, but nightmare mode is where you really need to be super effective in your strategies, timing, and money management just to beat it. And then if you want to challenge for high scores you do all that, plus you need to know the meta-game of combo maximization. I have about a hundred hours so far in the series, I'd say its about neck and neck with Defense Grid for best tower defense style games. OMD is more 'fun' while DG is a little more strategic.

[quote name='Izod517']Daily is Prince of Persia titles 75% off
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8233/

$14.98 for complete pack.
$2.49 for individual games

Note: It's actually cheaper to buy them individually... 12.45.

Note 2: Forgotten Sands uses Uplay, the rest don't from what I can tell.[/QUOTE]

Finally gonna get the last POP game I don't have (POP 2008).

FWIW, I just finished Forgotten Sands last week and Uplay gave me no troubles at all. I played the game with Uplay offline for most of it and had no problems (the stupid always-online DRM with the doors not opening has been completely removed as far as I could tell).

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']What's a good place to start in the Prince of Persia franchise for someone who hasn't played any of the games?[/QUOTE]

The first one, Sands of Time - you can pretty much play them in order of release (though I don't care much for the second one, Warrior Within, so if you want you can leave that for last if you're more interested in the puzzles & platforming than in the combat).

[quote name='seamoss']The first one, Sands of Time - you can pretty much play them in order of release (though I don't care much for the second one, Warrior Within, so if you want you can leave that for last if you're more interested in the puzzles & platforming than in the combat).[/QUOTE]

This. It's a good idea to play them in order, and Forgotten Sands after if you like the first 3. PoP 2008 is a love it or hate it type of game, it's nothing like the other PoPs and I personally hated it.

[quote name='spoderman']This. It's a good idea to play them in order, and Forgotten Sands after if you like the first 3. PoP 2008 is a love it or hate it type of game, it's nothing like the other PoPs and I personally hated it.[/QUOTE]

I loved it for some strange reason -_-, combat was ASS though. It reminded me of Super Mario 64, which is in my top 5 games of all time.

[quote name='spoderman']This. It's a good idea to play them in order, and Forgotten Sands after if you like the first 3. PoP 2008 is a love it or hate it type of game, it's nothing like the other PoPs and I personally hated it.[/QUOTE]

I'm about to give Valve $2.49 for PoP 2008 so I guess I'll find out soon enough! I watched the Gamespot review for it and it doesn't look *that* bad.

[quote name='Estbarul']I actually like PoP 2008, what about the 2010 PoP?[/QUOTE]

Forgotten Sands plays a lot like Sands of Time/The Two Thrones. If you like either of those you'd probably like it. It has a few mechanics that might annoy some people, but they didn't annoy me.

[quote name='Estbarul']I actually like PoP 2008, what about the 2010 PoP?[/QUOTE]

I liked PoP:FS - the puzzles and platforming are quite good, and the frozen water mechanic was an interesting twist. The combat was a bit too easy and the powers/levelling didn't seem to matter much (I didn't use them most of the time and even finished the game with some unused upgrade points left over), but then I don't play PoP for the combat. For me, it's definitely worth $2.50 if you like traditional PoP gameplay.

PoP:FS was my favorite of the series, more of a focus on platforming and not on combat, which I feel is the weak link in most of the previous games. They tend to have too much combat which doesn't control all that well.

[quote name='jshackles']Although they've said they'll continue with the same licensing model, those of us that love Tinfoil hats might want to take a look at this list of LucasArts games on Steam to see if there are any games they want to purchase before they potentially go away.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why Disney would do that since the LucasArts branch contains all of their good games. Let's hope the LucasArts Adventure Pack lasts until the summer seal. LOOM is a great game, I just haven't bought it on Steam yet because of the price.

Sands of Time was infinitely better than PoP 2008 to me (but that goes back to the Love it or Hate It I guess). I personally don't see much reason to play them in order myself - it's not like the story is deep or even engaging - there's bad people, kill them, use cool powers, figure out puzzles, jump around. If I had to pick a single one from the series it'd probably still be Sands of Time for me - but I haven't played the 2010 game so there's that.

Also of note. For 4.99 you can get Forgotten Sands Delux which includes Sands of Time.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/901478

[quote name='jshackles']Although they've said they'll continue with the same licensing model, those of us that love Tinfoil hats might want to take a look at this list of LucasArts games on Steam to see if there are any games they want to purchase before they potentially go away.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to move those Jedi Knight games higher up on my wishlist. I keep passing them up during the big sales in favor of other things thinking they will be there next time. So now maybe they will and maybe they won't. :cry:

I don't think you have to worry about Disney removing Lucas Arts games from Steam - Disney has never been one to lose a revenue source. That said the prices could go higher and there could be less deals - that wouldn't shock me in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back