The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Estbarul']Yeah sorry, I didn't see the Skyrim post so yes I was talking about the Forge discount. I guess I already have my answer, thanks.[/QUOTE]
All Steam coupons go into your inventory, and most (if not all) are tradeable.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Skyrim for $20 on Nuuvem.

Besides the GG glitch, I think that's the lowest legit price it's ever been.[/QUOTE]

Also ignoring the two occasions that B&M stores (TRU and then the Microsoft store) had it for $9.99. I got it during the first instance.

No glitch involved, so I consider these to be "legit." ;)

[quote name='DPsycho']Also ignoring the two occasions that B&M stores (TRU and then the Microsoft store) had it for $9.99. I got it during the first instance.

No glitch involved, so I consider these to be "legit." ;)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, true enough. I bought a TRU key off someone for $15 then too, I was just thinking legit digital sales.

I think if it can be described as sort of once in a lifetime things (clearance sales, glitches) they probably belong in the same general area.

[quote name='Detruire']A Skyrim key?[/QUOTE]
no, I thought estbarul was talking about the forge coupon.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I think Sunasun is talking about the Forge coupon.

I don't know if that's what the OP was asking, though.[/QUOTE]
someone who gets me ;)

[quote name='Estbarul']Yeah sorry, I didn't see the Skyrim post so yes I was talking about the Forge discount. I guess I already have my answer, thanks.[/QUOTE]
and once again I'm proven correct. :D

Skyrim was ~65% off on GreenManGaming just before Christmas, and you could stack a 20/25/30% coupon (I forget which) with it.

I recall paying around £11.25 or thereabouts, which was the lowest I'd seen at the time.

Sixth set of titles Greenlit today.

The Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey made the cut. So did Pinball Arcade which I have been enjoying immensely on the PSVita.

Full post under the cut. Use the link above for links to each game's individual page.
The latest software titles:
PlayClaw - This game recorder got votes for its gaming optimization and utilization of multi-core processors for HD video capture.

GamePlan - This real-time strategy software caught the attention of strategy gamers as a way to help plan strategy and tactics for their favorite team-based online games.

The latest games:
Agarest: Generations of War - This Japanese role-playing strategy game quickly shot up the charts and will now add to the small but growing number of Japanese RPGs on Steam.

Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures - Angry Video Game Nerd has built up a huge following on YouTube. That popularity appears to have translated into raging success in Greenlight with the game that bears his name rocketing to the top in only 9 days.

Battle Worlds: Kronos - This richly-colored turn-based strategy game blew through its Kickstarter goal and jumped quickly up the Greenlight charts with votes of excited strategy fans.

City of Steam - This free-to-play action RPG received a lot of visibility and votes from their beta at the beginning of the year, and now look forward to running another beta soon.

Cradle - This first-person adventure game caught the attention of Greenlight voters with its beautiful graphics, unique atmosphere, and compelling soundtrack.

Dead State - In less than a month, this survival RPG has jumped up the charts with enthusiastic support. Plus, the game blew past their Kickstarter goal in the summer of last year, securing an incredible 10,096 backers.

Dead Trigger - This popular free-to-play zombie survival game found great success on android, and has since seen updated graphics as the developers set their sights on Steam for PC and Mac.

Death Inc. - This beautiful and elegant strategy game has garnered a lot of positive press and votes with its unique art style and innovative gameplay.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey - The community clearly wants more from the popular Dreamfall series and quickly up-voted this game.

Elsword - This free-to-play, action RPG uses classic side-scrolling beat ‘em up gameplay mechanics and has captured the votes of existing fans and potential new customers alike.

Faceless - This cooperative and non-violent free-to-play survival horror mod for Half-Life 2 received overwhelming support from the community.

Frozen Endzone - The developers of Frozen Synapse bring the strategic depth of their first game into a new, original and innovative tactical future sports game, capturing the votes of fans and potential customers along the way.

Hammerwatch - This pixely hack-and-slash adventure game caught the attention of voters with their cooperative gameplay, character building, and modding support.

Legend of Dungeon - This colorful dungeon crawler has gained a lot of votes as well as critical acclaim from the gaming press.

Pinball Arcade - Fans of Pinball Arcade have been enthusiastic and vocal, leading to a solid base of support and interest from the community.

Planet Explorers - Currently in alpha, this ambitious open world RPG caught the attention of voters with its ability for users create new content and change the terrain.

Rush Bros. - This competitive platforming game caught the attention of voters and the gaming press with its innovative premise and integration with users' music library.

Shovel Knight - This action adventure game has been sweeping the Greenlight charts with a style reminiscent of platformer adventure classics. After blowing through their ambitious Kickstarter goal, the developers set higher and higher stretch goals, securing an incredible 14,749 backers.

Next batch of Greenlight approvals is up.

I'm usually not a fan of Kickstarters these days, but Planet Explorers got Greenlit and the Kickstarer is still going on for a few more days. It's basically seems like Minecraft in space with better visuals. The way their Kickstarter is being run imho is done right. Everyone from the $15 level on up gets a Steam key when released and early alpha and beta access without being charged extra like every other Kickstarter does these days. Hopefully it will get on Steam early access too like Kenshi did.

Also, while they put up stretch goals for fun, they also stated that almost all of those they plan to do anyway whether or not they meet the goals so none of this 'Well you didn't give us enough money so you don't get this cool feature stuff'.

Planet Explorers Kickstarter is here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757963851/planet-explorers and you can also pay by Paypal.

Anyway, enough of my selling up PE, here's the rest of the list:

*Edit: Ninja'ed

Also really happy to see Dreamfall on that list though I still don't get why they forced it to go through that process.

I would buy pretty much all of those games (with the right discount of course ;))

Not just Dreamfall, there have been quite a few games that shouldn't have even had to bother with Greenlight. Like pretty much anything that managed to get published on consoles for example (Agarest and Pinball Arcade.)

Successful kickstarters (provided the goal isn't like 5 grand) should really get to skip the Greenlight stuff anyway. Something like Shovel Knight has like nearly 15 thousand sales from the kickstarter alone. That's enough data for Valve to guess it might sell a few copies when it hits Steam.

Most of this Greenlight batch is good, aside from the Angry Nerd one probably. There's always one internet fad that sneaks in it seems like.

[quote name='Das_Regal']The Angry Nerd one also made me sigh. I'm glad we can all agree that it's a terrible idea.[/QUOTE]
I think it could have been interesting if the developer came up with some sort of self-aware ideas and game mechanics (like the Game Center CX game), rather than a generic Megaman clone.

[quote name='DPsycho']Sixth set of titles Greenlit today.

The Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey made the cut. So did Pinball Arcade which I have been enjoying immensely on the PSVita.

Full post under the cut. Use the link above for links to each game's individual page.
[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised by two things. First, they've expanded the number of games being greenlit. I'm pretty sure it's only been 10 games each month previous to this batch. This time we've got 18 games & 2 software titles. I'm definitely glad to see that. Maybe now it wont take forever for some of the games that I'm interested in to make it onto steam. I'm sure some will complain that it means that they've cheapened the standards and now we'll end up with a flood of crap on steam. But when the first game ever to get greeenlit is McPixel...

The second thing to surprise me is that despite never having heard of most of these games, almost all of them look pretty good. I think we're all pretty much on the same page on the Angry Nerd selection, but other than that one, it looks like a nice selection of games this time around. A couple of games on the list are from genres that I'm not too interested in, but I can still appreciate that most of of them look pretty good for what they are.

One last note. Legend of Dungeon was included as a bonus in the Groupees Build-A-Bundle 4. It was only a DRM-Free copy, but there is at least a slim possibility that this means that a steam key might be coming for those of us who bought that bundle. Probably a long shot. But something to keep an eye out for.

[quote name='The End']
The second thing to surprise me is that despite never having heard of most of these games, almost all of them look pretty good. I think we're all pretty much on the same page on the Angry Nerd selection, but other than that one, it looks like a nice selection of games this time around. A couple of games on the list are from genres that I'm not too interested in, but I can still appreciate that most of of them look pretty good for what they are.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I'd say it's somewhere between 50-66% decent stuff, but that's still way better than I'd expect from the trained monkeys that appear to be in charge of this approval process. Personally, I could have done without most every title after Dreamfall on that list (except probably Planetary Explorers, which looks interesting). I like that PlayClaw got greenlit, as that actually looks like something I might use if the price is right. But I'm still waiting to see Legends of Eisenwald and Cognition. :roll:

I just got a 50% off Duke Nukem 3D coupon in my inventory, what's up with that?

edit: Also, Fez preorders will be open on 4/22 at 10% off ($9.)

Hey everyone, I just downloaded Steam and I don't know much about it but I would like to buy Fallout 3, how often would you say it goes on sale? I want to download it because it features multiple languages with text and dialogue and since I'm going to be a Spanish major it would really help me.

Any recommendations for other cheap games with Spanish text and voice acting?

[quote name='darkrun']Hey everyone, I just downloaded Steam and I don't know much about it but I would like to buy Fallout 3, how often would you say it goes on sale? I want to download it because it features multiple languages with text and dialogue and since I'm going to be a Spanish major it would really help me.

Any recommendations for other cheap games with Spanish text and voice acting?[/QUOTE]

It goes on sale regularly. You'll most likely be able to get the GotY version for about $5 come the summer sale in three months.

Welcome to addiction.

[quote name='darkrun']Thanks! I look forward to filling up my 1TB hard drive with a bunch of games.[/QUOTE]

I suggest saving up for your first major Steam sale. You'll hear all of us complaining because not much is new to us these days, but your first real Steam sale is special, and it's easy to go nuts.

I suggest reading and committing to memory the guide to sales and collection building in my signature. It will save you a lot of money and future grief.

Dead Trigger was a braindead F2P grindy crapfest on the phones. The only thing it has going for it is graphics.

Also I MIGHT be in for a Monaco group buy if a good deal comes up. Even if it IS indie

[quote name='RollingSkull']Dead Trigger was a braindead F2P grindy crapfest on the phones. The only thing it has going for it is graphics.

Also I MIGHT be in for a Monaco group buy if a good deal comes up. Even if it IS indie[/QUOTE]

You need to go back to your old avatar. I get all confused when you post now. Your indie game bashing just doesn't carry the same tone with this new picture.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You need to go back to your old avatar. I get all confused when you post now. Your indie game bashing just doesn't carry the same tone with this new picture.[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

[quote name='M_F_A_H']La-Mulana Steam keys are live @ Groupees![/QUOTE]
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Activated........

[quote name='darkrun']Thanks! I look forward to filling up my 1TB hard drive with a bunch of games.[/QUOTE]
1TB rotflmaopmp
:whee:
you need at least 6 TB

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You need to go back to your old avatar. I get all confused when you post now. Your indie game bashing just doesn't carry the same tone with this new picture.[/QUOTE]
thirded, you look too jolly now. ;)

That might (MIGHT) take about six months. Then what are you gonna do? :lol:

(Welcome, by the way!)

I had to hold off installing some games as my 2TB steam drive hit 90% full.

This!

[quote name='asheskitty']This![/QUOTE]

That reminds me, someone linked this Skitty pic on Facebook. Naturally, I thought of you.

pokemon_gijinka__skitty_by_hellcorpceo-d36o8yw.png

[quote name='DPsycho']That reminds me, someone linked this Skitty pic on Facebook. Naturally, I thought of you.

pokemon_gijinka__skitty_by_hellcorpceo-d36o8yw.png
[/QUOTE]

^_^ Is he single?

[quote name='asheskitty']^_^ Is he single?[/QUOTE]

Nope. He's Zangief's second love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back