The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V8 ~ Summer Sale Encore Day! | Rage $4.99 | Retro City Rampage $2.99 | Crysis $5.99 | Endless Space $10.19 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
It had to be done, welcome aboard the new thread, Steam Deal Thread V8!

You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Disclaimer: Because of the ridiculous number of games on sale and the speed at which sales change, it is likely I will not be able to catch everything . Be sure to check the update time for the OP, and visit the Specials Tab to see all current sales. If you see something not listed in the OP, please feel free to PM me and I will see that it is added. Thanks, enjoy the sale  :D

Before you buy anything be sure to check out both BigSpoonyBard's Super Tips for Steam Sale Newbies (and Vets) and jshackle's Enhanced Steam Extension/Plugin for Chrome/Opera/Firefox!

Steam Summer Sale

Flash Deals

[*]Retro City Rampage - $14.99 $3.00
[*]Endless Space Gold - $34.99 $11.89[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Total War Grand Master Collection - $164.99 $41.24[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rome: Total War - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Empire: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Napoleon: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Total War: SHOGUN 2 - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Viking: Battle for Asgard - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Total War Battles: SHOGUN - $4.99 $1.24
[*]SHOGUN 2: Rise of the Samurai Campaign - $9.99 $2.49[/customspoiler]

Expired

Community Choice

• Rage - $19.99 $4.99
Expired 

[*]​Round 2

[*]​Round 3

[*]​Rounds 4

[*]Round 5

[*]​Round 6

[*]​Round 7

[*]Round 8

[*]Round 9​

[*]Round 10

[*]Round 11

[*]​Round 12

[*]Round 13

[*]Round 14

[*]Round 15

[*]Round 16

[*]Round 17

[*]Round 18

[*]Round 19

[*]Round 20

[*]Round 21

[*]​Round 22

[*]Round 23

[*]Round 24

[*]​Round 25

[*]​Round 26

[*]​Round 27

[*]Round 28

[*]Round 29

[*]Round 30

[*]​Round 31

[*]Round 32

​​

Daily Deals

[*]Borderlands 2 - $39.99 $10.19 (4-Pack - $89.99 $30.59)[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Bioshock - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock 2 - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock Infinite - $59.99 $29.99
[*]Torchlight - $14.99 $3.73
[*]Torchlight 2 - $19.99 $4.99 (4-Pack - $59.99 $14.99)
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization - $19.99 $4.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Tomb Raider Collection - $69.99 $17.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]The Walking Dead - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $13.79
[*]Dishonored - $29.99 $10.19[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Skyrim: Legendary Edition - $59.99 $36.00[customspoiler='Contents']

Yesterday's Deals

[*]Natural Selection 2 - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Worms Collection - $89.99 $22.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Worms Revolution - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Worms Ultimate Mayhem - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Starforge (Alpha) - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike Complete - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed Pack - $169.95 $57.78[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed III - $39.99 $23.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic $9.99 $3.39
[*]Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - $9.99 $3.39
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $2.23
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $3.74[customspoiler='Contents']

Expired

Persistent Deals

(if you notice a daily/flash sale in here by mistake, please let me know)

-75% or More

-50% to -74%

[*]The Political Machine 2012 - $3.99 $0.99 (4-Pack - $9.99 $2.49)[/customspoiler]

[*]Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - $19.99 $6.79
[*]The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - $19.99 $9.99
[*]The Witcher: Enhanced Director's Cut - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Dead Space - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Dead Space 2 - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Hitman: Blood Money - $8.99 $4.49
[*]Hitman: Codename 47 - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $14.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - $29.99 $14.99
[*]The Cave - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Hits Collection - $29.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $4.99

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $4.47
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $7.49

[*]Mirror's Edge - $19.99 $9.99
[*]McPixel - $4.99 $0.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator - $8.99 $4.49
[*]FTL - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Cart Life - $4.99 $1.99
[*]To The Moon - $9.99 $2.99
[*]VVVVVV - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $20.69
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Need for Speed: Undercover - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Need for Speed: Shift - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Shift 2: Unleashed - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Magical Diary - $14.99 $5.24
[*]Super House of Dead Ninjas - $6.99 $2.37
[*]The Blackwell Legacy - $4.99 $1.99
[*]Jack Lumber - $7.49 $2.24
[*]Anna - Extended Edition - $9.99 $3.39
[*]The Bridge - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Alice: Madness Returns - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Payday The Heist - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike - $9.99 $2.49
[*]The Orange Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Half-Life Complete - $39.99 $19.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rockstar Hits Collection - $89.97 $44.98[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]LA Noire - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Max Payne 3 - $39.99 $19.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Starseed Pilgrim - $5.99 $2.69
[*]The Binding of Isaac - $4.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

All Current Specials

Preorder Deals - Updated 24/6

• The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="Free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition"]
    Digital poster (printable) 
  • Papercraft mask of The Raven (printable)
  • “Making of” booklet 
  • Story book (plenty of background info and artworks)
  • Soundtrack[/customspoiler]

[*]Europa Universalis IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="The 100 Years War Unit Pack DLC"]
  • This DLC adds new, unique unit models to the belligerent nations of the
    100 Years War. Included are 11 infantry models for the warring nations,
    including England, France, Scotland, Burgundy and many more! [/customspoiler]

[*]Saints Row IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="3 Exclusive Team Fortress 2 Weapon Costumes"]
  • Pre-Purchase Saints Row IV and get 3 exclusive Team Fortress 2 weapon costumes to use in Saints Row IV: The Rainblower, the Flamethrower and the Rocket Launcher, only with Pre-Purchases on Steam! [/customspoiler]

[*]Rise of the Triad - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler='The Apogee Throwback Pack']
  • The Apogee Throwback Pack is a collection of four classic Apogee
    Software titles all in one kick ass package. Blast your way across the
    galaxy as British Special Agent Blake Stone in "Aliens of Gold" and
    "Planet Strike", then take on an ancient evil menace as the H.U.N.T in
    "Rise of the Triad".[/customspoiler]

[*]Divinity: Dragon Commander - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler='Immediate access to the Divinity: Dragon Commander beta']
  • As an extra bonus, you will also receive a free upgrade to Divinity: Dragon Commander Imperial Edition.
  • The Imperial Edition includes a golden dragon skin, a Dragons On Earth
    campaign map, a digital soundtrack by award winning genius Kirill
    Pokrovsky, and behind the scenes information like concept art,
    classified design documents, confidential decision tree flowcharts and a
    unique documentary.[/customspoiler]

[*]Total War: Rome II - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="The Greek States Culture Pack"]
  • The Greek States Culture Pack includes three new playable Factions for use in Single or Multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles. These factions are the diplomatic Athens, shrewd Epirus and formidable Sparta as playable factions. Each offers range of special tactics to achieve cultural and martial victories, and lethal elite units to crush foes in battle.
  • The Greek States also share a number of common goals, philosophies and general diplomatic aims. However, they are defined by their fierce independence and between them demonstrate a huge variety in approach to civil and military challenges that often brings them into conflict with the wider world, and each other.
  • Plus, Pre-Purchase and receive the Greek Hellenic Armor for The Pyro & Egyptian Cheetah set for The Scout in TF2. More to come!  [/customspoiler]

Indie Bundle Threads

Groupees
Indie Gala
Indie Royale
Humble Bundle

IndieGameStand

Free Stuff

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll look at Plazzers all day; there should be a $1 trial.

They're succinct enough for me to naively believe that my 500 game queue will be slain one day, and they're perfect change-of-pace quickies for when you've been playing Minesweeper for the past 7 hours and you still have that draconian 1 hour obligation to your employer.

I suppose puzzle-platformers are the new WWII genre. Viral disdain is powerful.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I personally absolutely hated Capsized. One of the most frustrating and unpleasant games I've played in a long time.

I do want to play Thomas Was Alone, though.[/QUOTE]

Also disliked Capsized. Didn't see what the good reviews were all about. It was clunky to control.

I agree with the general sentiment of many indie games being filler crap, and of platformers being overdone. Personally, I feel like I've outgrown platformers. I played so many of them growing up, and there's been so little real innovation in the field recently. It just feels like a phase I'm done with. I think the last platformer I was really impressed with was Sonic Colors, and even that I dropped after a few levels...probably cause it was on the Wii and I couldn't stand to look at the low resolution, even with the beautiful art design :p

For me the winners in the HIBs that I've played have been VVVVVV, the Bit.Trip games, Shatter, and Binding of Isaac. I liked Limbo a lot too, but at 2/3 complete I'm not sure when I'll get back to it. Braid and Trine were not my favorites. Super Meat Boy was just too hard...I always sucked at precision reflex games, and if I'm going to practice something it's going to be my music.

More to the point, has anyone checked in on the most recent Groupees BeMine lately? With the recent unlocks, they seem to be offering an incredible deal. $1 gets you Patrician IV+DLC, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Karateka, Slam Bolt Scrappers, Paranautical Activity, and Radical Roach, plus a bunch of music. Another $4 adds Blood Bowl Legendary, Blades of Time (wish I wouldn't have bought this in the MacApps bundle before), Constant C, Drakensang, and Guncraft! That is a lot of music and games for less than the average of the typical HIB, and these aren't all indies. I gotta admit, the Humble Weeklies have been pretty good, but I'm not holding my breath for the next HIB.

I liked capsized. I bought it on december 2011. There wasn't so many KNOWN PC indie titles on the same style back then. Maybe I'm wrong

I liked Limbo, VVVVVV (I even bought the soundtrack), Binding of Isaac and a lot more. I like playing nice casual games from time to time

[quote name='Idiotekque']Flatout 2 has more mods (new cars and whatnot), you can add ENB to it, etc. Plus it's cheaper, so I'd say Flatout 2 > UC everyday.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but we play that UC multiplayer, son. You ain't cool unless you playing UC.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Yeah, but we play that UC multiplayer, son. You ain't cool unless you playing UC.[/QUOTE]
True, but you don't really. ;)

[quote name='Mooby']Well, Binding of Isaac isn't actually a platformer... thus I liked it![/QUOTE]

No, it's like Zelda 1 with a really sick twist. I thought it was brilliant. Even if I did have to keep a browser window open while playing to consult the wiki every time I picked up an item!

No native controller support on BoI always annoyed me. It played alright with on a keyboard, but really, for how successful that game was, pushing the controller setting in the options menu and seeing "Download JoytoKey!" was kind of a joke.

[quote name='annihilator']No, it's like Zelda 1 with a really sick twist. I thought it was brilliant. Even if I did have to keep a browser window open while playing to consult the wiki every time I picked up an item![/QUOTE]

Yep, a fairly unique twist on older titles which is what I'd like to see more of from indie devs versus platformer #5,421. I actually have almost 200 hours sunk into BoI + expansions.

[quote name='Mooby']Yep, a fairly unique twist on older titles which is what I'd like to see more of from indie devs versus platformer #5,421. I actually have almost 200 hours sunk into BoI + expansions.[/QUOTE]

I'm in a room in binding of issac right now and looking at my Steam profile it says that I have logged 558 hours on it. It's actually much much more then that because I sometimes don't load Steam to play it...

[quote name='Idiotekque']They're just small, casual games that are made with low budgets... for fun. That's usually the purpose of games.

AAA games are mostly clones of each other and are made with massive budgets. Is it really surprising that indie games, made with tiny budgets, are kinda the same thing? Sometimes certain ones stand out and are unique and fun, while others are good for 15 minutes to an hour of cheap thrills.

Seeing how cheap all of these games are gotten for, expecting more than that is... well, stupid. Over-analyzing it is more or less the same.[/QUOTE]
I think part of the problem for me is there are too many Indie Bundles nowadays. I mean when it was just Humble and Indie Royale, Humble had the best games, and Indie Royale was like a second tier of games, and it was fine. Now it seems like anything that plays can be bundled no matter how good/bad it is. I mean Bad Rats got in a bundle, Bad fucking Rats....

Been playing some more Dust. It's beautiful, I am glad I supported the guy but the game itself doesn't really scream amazing like some review sites said. It's not a bad game, and well in graphics, sound design, overall visuals, it's fucking beautiful. Gameplay kinda gets meh about 3-4 hours in. It's pretty much generic beat em up, mixed in with some RPG elements so far plus the game reuses a lot of puzzle design, like instead of dragging a bomb here, drag a bomb here through a maze. I will go back to it once they fix the game with the CPU problems.

[quote name='Idiotekque']True, but you don't really. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, we did. And we were cool.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I think part of the problem for me is there are too many Indie Bundles nowadays. I mean when it was just Humble and Indie Royale, Humble had the best games, and Indie Royale was like a second tier of games, and it was fine. Now it seems like anything that plays can be bundled no matter how good/bad it is. I mean Bad Rats got in a bundle, Bad fucking Rats....[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is that every bundle should include Bad Rats?

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Well, we did. And we were cool.

So what you're saying is that every bundle should include Bad Rats?[/QUOTE]
Hey, one can hope for a sequel or maybe even a prequel. ;)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I think part of the problem for me is there are too many Indie Bundles nowadays. I mean when it was just Humble and Indie Royale, Humble had the best games, and Indie Royale was like a second tier of games, and it was fine. Now it seems like anything that plays can be bundled no matter how good/bad it is. I mean Bad Rats got in a bundle, Bad fucking Rats....[/QUOTE]

I don't think those platformers you guys are so fatigued by get bundled much anymore, though.

IndieGala is largely strategy games. Groupees is all over the place, but tends to have a lot of older titles that aren't necessarily "indie" and has leaned surprisingly hard on point & clicks in the last few months. Same with Bundlestars.

I buy a lot of bundles and I don't think I have more than a dozen indie platformers.

It doesn't seem any more egregious than Tower Defense and Fantasy or History themed strategy.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I think part of the problem for me is there are too many Indie Bundles nowadays. I mean when it was just Humble and Indie Royale, Humble had the best games, and Indie Royale was like a second tier of games, and it was fine. Now it seems like anything that plays can be bundled no matter how good/bad it is. I mean Bad Rats got in a bundle, Bad fucking Rats....

Been playing some more Dust. It's beautiful, I am glad I supported the guy but the game itself doesn't really scream amazing like some review sites said. It's not a bad game, and well in graphics, sound design, overall visuals, it's fucking beautiful. Gameplay kinda gets meh about 3-4 hours in. It's pretty much generic beat em up, mixed in with some RPG elements so far plus the game reuses a lot of puzzle design, like instead of dragging a bomb here, drag a bomb here through a maze. I will go back to it once they fix the game with the CPU problems.[/QUOTE]
I guess, but it's still up to each person to buy the bundles or not. Everyone is fully capable of researching the games in each bundle and seeing if they're something they want to pay for. If it's a bunch of puzzle platformers, move along.

It just seems kind of dumb to complain (not that you're complaining, mostly just Mooby) about extremely cheap games being similar to each other when AAAs of any genre are often just as similar. No one's forcing anyone to buy these games (for crazy low prices).

[quote name='Eldredpe']I don't think those platformers you guys are so fatigued by get bundled much anymore, though.

IndieGala is largely strategy games. Groupees is all over the place, but tends to have a lot of older titles that aren't necessarily "indie" and has leaned surprisingly hard on point & clicks in the last few months. Same with Bundlestars.

I buy a lot of bundles and I don't think I have more than a dozen indie platformers.

It doesn't seem any more egregious than Tower Defense and Fantasy or History themed strategy.[/QUOTE]
And yes, this, 100%. The main culprits these days are HIB and IR. Groupees is an awesome mix, and hell, Gala just had Mass Effect 2 in a bundle... Even the stranger bundles, like this PlayInjector one had some interesting titles, like the horror/FPS Into the Dark.

[quote name='asheskitty']>.> I'm sensing a distinct lack of FPS fatigue.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, yeah, what's up with that? Remember all the Wolf3D clones way back when?

[quote name='Mooby']Yep, a fairly unique twist on older titles which is what I'd like to see more of from indie devs versus platformer #5,421. I actually have almost 200 hours sunk into BoI + expansions.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='stupidproz1']I'm in a room in binding of issac right now and looking at my Steam profile it says that I have logged 558 hours on it. It's actually much much more then that because I sometimes don't load Steam to play it...[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, and I thought my 17 hours were an unusually high investment. Glad to know others enjoyed it as much too!

[quote name='Idiotekque']No native controller support on BoI always annoyed me. It played alright with on a keyboard, but really, for how successful that game was, pushing the controller setting in the options menu and seeing "Download JoytoKey!" was kind of a joke.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way at first, but after a few hours I started to feel the keyboard was actually the better solution - surprisingly so. It seemed like the controller should be the better fit, but in practice I could scoot around the rooms much more nimbly with the keyboard.

[quote name='asheskitty']>.> I'm sensing a distinct lack of FPS fatigue.[/QUOTE]
That's because real men play FPS's and nothing says "real man" like a bunch of sale obsessed bargain-hunting shopaholics.

Just wanted to say to the OP that I appreciate the title update. I am never on Steam but am always looking for games for my son so seeing the thread title when it pops up on my subscribed threads is really nice. Waking Mars looks like it might be worth a shot.

[quote name='Larce80']Have you guys been playing dont starve because i am and its really addicting![/QUOTE]
I always seem to run into something really dangerous and die once I get far. Don't steal eggs, for example...

[quote name='io']Just wanted to say to the OP that I appreciate the title update. I am never on Steam but am always looking for games for my son so seeing the thread title when it pops up on my subscribed threads is really nice. Waking Mars looks like it might be worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing through Waking Mars right now, and really enjoying it. I'm close to the end, and it's starting to get a little annoying trying to get enough stuff planted to unlock the next section, but otherwise it's been great. At this price it's pretty easy to recommend, though it has been in a Humble Bundle (how I got it);)

[quote name='Flowette']Well i enjoyed capsized.[/QUOTE]
You also drink tea instead of coffee. Do you really expect us to take your opinions seriously?

[quote name='Idiotekque']You also drink tea instead of coffee. Do you really expect us to take your opinions seriously?[/QUOTE]

Coffee: good for the morning. Tea: good for the rest of the day.

[quote name='Flowette']Well i enjoyed capsized.[/QUOTE]

Does the forum automagically correct ALL CAPS posts? This was meant to be full Caps Lock Fury in display of my disgust at the opinions of the great unwashed.

It's one of the first games I ever played, and competed, on Steam. It's competent, has just enough challenge, and I liked the soundtrack. It's worth pointing out that I played this in a time long before I had x-hundred games on Steam, and therefore tolerance levels were probably a bit higher. Nowadays it's like "jumpy... shooty... seen it before, NEXT!" :lol:

I am thinking of getting The Guild 2 Collection which is part of the weeklong deals but reviews seem to be quite negative. Anyone whom has played that game care to share his thought?

[quote name='iSerra']I am thinking of getting The Guild 2 Collection which is part of the weeklong deals but reviews seem to be quite negative. Anyone whom has played that game care to share his thought?[/QUOTE]

Never played but constantly deliberated. One thing I will say is that you only need to buy Renaissance. Both Pirates and Renaissance are standalone expansions with Renaissance containing 90% of the content of both Pirates and the base game. That said it lacks a tutorial (although apparently it's not exceedingly informative) and a 'campaign' but this is mostly a free-play game so a campaign isn't required. Also there are still a lot of bugs which is where a lot of the negative reviews come from. So, if anything, just grab Renaissance for $2.50.

[quote name='iSerra']I am thinking of getting The Guild 2 Collection which is part of the weeklong deals but reviews seem to be quite negative. Anyone whom has played that game care to share his thought?[/QUOTE]
I had this as a Steam gift a while ago and deliberated for ages over whether to add it to my library. I decided against it eventually.

I did a lot of reading up on it and it sounds like they're all very buggy, but there's been a lot of fan-made patches which iron out some (but not all) problems.

I suspect we'll see this in an indie bundle sometime soon though (seems ripe for Indie Gala) so unless you're desperate I'd hold on for now.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I always seem to run into something really dangerous and die once I get far. Don't steal eggs, for example...[/QUOTE]

I played a good bit of Don't Starve when it was still in the beta, sinking about 15 hours overall. Honestly, the game has only gotten harder as time has progressed.

When I first started playing, you could kill rabbits by getting between them and their holes. When they ran back to their holes, you could slay them on the way. You could put seeds on the ground, and every few seconds, a bird would land to eat the seeds. Then, you would hack the bird.

Not starving became a sort of joke, as food (in terms of wild game) was extremely abundant.

Now, however, these gameplay exploits don't work, and the last few times I played, it really felt harder to survive. There are more enemies than there used to be, and the Sanity Meter is an interesting and fitting addition (although again, it seems a difficulty ramp).

I like the game, but the difficulty of it is a little off-putting. While I haven't taken any eggs from tallbirds recently, the only way I used to be able to escape them and their rampaging after my egg-stealing self was to use the environment to my advantage, getting the bird "stuck" around a corner.

Step 1) Find beefalo herd(s).

Step 2) Build half dozen or so drying racks.

Step 3) Kill two cattle every week or so (easy enough by kiting with log armor and spear), collect eight meat, dry them on rack.

Survive indefinitely. Hounds coming? Run through the herd, eventually the hounds will attack them and the herd will dispatch them easily.

I really like the concept of this game and sunk a lot of time into it but the problem is you can just ignore 80% or more of the content/hazards. There's literally no point in making most of the items.

Yeah, I did well surviving near Beefalo. I enjoyed their protection, although sometimes they seemed more likely to rampage than others. Mating season? I never figured that out.

In one of my games, I was working on a vast crop field.

And yeah, I know what you mean about many items not having a point. I assume it's kind of like a create-you-own-experience sort of gameplay. You could build yourself a "house" even, but I'm not sure if there's any way to really prevent enemies from getting in.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Yeah, I did well surviving near Beefalo. I enjoyed their protection, although sometimes they seemed more likely to rampage than others. Mating season? I never figured that out.
[/QUOTE]

If you make the beefalo hat they won't attack you during mating season.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Oh, just realized how cheap Amazon is selling Dark Souls for. But can't buy it?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00917DBUE?tag=cheapassgam08-20

Edit: I'm not sure I really want my ass kicked. I think I may pass even if it comes back.[/QUOTE]
I'm trying to get into it for a third time (tried twice on 360) and I think I've turned a corner. Previously I've quit in frustration. This time I've died, stropped, had a cup of tea and then read up on what killed me and how to beat it.

I don't think it's as hard as people say (it's hard, but not über hard), it's more of an exercise in paying attention and adapting to your surroundings. I'm (foolishly) starting to enjoy it - making progress to a new save point (or killing a boss/new enemy) is very satisfying. But I've lost my temper with it several times over the weekend as the chaps in BCGQ chat will attest to.

It doesn't explain much, if anything, and leaves you to find out things The Hard Way. I strongly recommend reading guides/wikis if you're dying *too* often. Case in point: it's possible to go an entirely wrong way from the starting area (after the tutorial). At no point is it obvious, you're just left to die an untold amount and come to the conclusion yourself. :)

[quote name='utopianmachine']Oh, just realized how cheap Amazon is selling Dark Souls for. But can't buy it?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00917DBUE?tag=cheapassgam08-20

Edit: I'm not sure I really want my ass kicked. I think I may pass even if it comes back.[/QUOTE]
Didn't notice it at $7.50, if it comes back, looks like I need to buy it. Partially to support PC games, partially because I traded in my PS3 copy when it was like $30 credit.

[quote name='Flowette']RE: Dark Souls
I don't think it's as hard as people say (it's hard, but not über hard)...[/QUOTE]

I've found it to thus far be significantly easier than Demon's Souls. Granted I'm not that far in - but so far the hardest demons to kill has been the Crashonstartup Demon and the GFWL Demon. Once I took those out it since I had prior experience with Demon's Souls it wasn't so bad. I knew to be patient and aware of my surroundings. The thing I enjoy the most about it, is that it generally changes the way you play games - you end up being more situationally aware and far more cautious. I would advise people to take a few minutes to learn the mechanics via youtube - since while they seem simple, they're a bit more complex than you think - like stamina regenerates slower with a shield up, so it's best to shield up before an attack lands, swap to 2h attack, pull-back, regen stamina, shield up.

I also didn't make the mistake I made in Demon's Souls - I ensured I had some magic to start with, which can help early on. Pyromancey is nice because it doesn't scale off INT, so you can make a true war-mage class relatively early, that has a nice bit of melee prowress along with ranged abilities for the nastier baddies (I was able to clear the first Dark Knight super easy, whereas if I had no magic I would have likely just ignored him).

I'm inclined to believe that the difficultly of the game is largely based on the individual player and the class/stat choices they make. You can make the game much much harder on yourself, which I'm pretty sure is exactly what happened with Demon Souls for anyone who went pure sword and board.

[quote name='Flowette']At no point is it obvious, you're just left to die an untold amount and come to the conclusion yourself. :)[/QUOTE]

No kidding, I didn't even see the path for like 2 hours... I've got 2 characters I'm using, 1 that's my 'mistake' character, that I spend my time exploring and dying on, and the other that does things right once I know how to do them. It's crazy how quick the game can be once you know what you're doing in an area.

Above is another reason why I recommend reading up on Dark Souls. Like reading this thread, for instance :lol:

I've been using a thief but with sword/shield (I know it's a mess but my dagger didn't seem to do much damage so I'm using whatever I've found).

I'm tempted to restart with a pyromancer. That said, I like hitting stuff. Would a sword/board build with magic be viable? If so, where should I start?

[quote name='Flowette']Above is another reason why I recommend reading up on Dark Souls. Like reading this thread, for instance :lol:

I've been using a thief but with sword/shield (I know it's a mess but my dagger didn't seem to do much damage so I'm using whatever I've found).

I'm tempted to restart with a pyromancer. That said, I like hitting stuff. Would a sword/board build with magic be viable? If so, where should I start?[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much the build I have. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you start with - other than some pre-applied stat allocations and what items/spells you start with. But you'd be shocked how quickly everything goes if you restart. You can end up getting pretty much every spell/ability/etc if you really want (but you'd be limited by your stat allocation).

I highly recommend Pyromancer for a starting player. You can indeed do sword/board with magic viable as Pyromancer. Since Pyro scales off your flame weapon thingie rather than INT, so you don't have to put any points into INT. For Pyro I recommend VIT/END (END has a softcap at 40 I think?), and enough Attunement to get spell 3-4 slots (14 for 3?) - and enough STR and DEX to wield the Drake Sword (16 and 9 I think). Pick the master key as your starter item and be sure to snag that awesome shield from the sleeping dragon since pyros start with a craptastic shield. If you want to go more melee heavy, drop a couple extra points into STR and use weapons that scale on STR. Basically that's the build I am going for, war-mage, not insignificant melee with enough magic to be able to chip-away at range. I couldn't tell you how that does at end-game, but thus far it's been pretty successful for me compared to my straight sword/board warrior toon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back