The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V8 ~ Summer Sale Encore Day! | Rage $4.99 | Retro City Rampage $2.99 | Crysis $5.99 | Endless Space $10.19 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
It had to be done, welcome aboard the new thread, Steam Deal Thread V8!

You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Disclaimer: Because of the ridiculous number of games on sale and the speed at which sales change, it is likely I will not be able to catch everything . Be sure to check the update time for the OP, and visit the Specials Tab to see all current sales. If you see something not listed in the OP, please feel free to PM me and I will see that it is added. Thanks, enjoy the sale  :D

Before you buy anything be sure to check out both BigSpoonyBard's Super Tips for Steam Sale Newbies (and Vets) and jshackle's Enhanced Steam Extension/Plugin for Chrome/Opera/Firefox!

Steam Summer Sale

Flash Deals

[*]Retro City Rampage - $14.99 $3.00
[*]Endless Space Gold - $34.99 $11.89[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Total War Grand Master Collection - $164.99 $41.24[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rome: Total War - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Empire: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Napoleon: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Total War: SHOGUN 2 - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Viking: Battle for Asgard - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Total War Battles: SHOGUN - $4.99 $1.24
[*]SHOGUN 2: Rise of the Samurai Campaign - $9.99 $2.49[/customspoiler]

Expired

Community Choice

• Rage - $19.99 $4.99
Expired 

[*]​Round 2

[*]​Round 3

[*]​Rounds 4

[*]Round 5

[*]​Round 6

[*]​Round 7

[*]Round 8

[*]Round 9​

[*]Round 10

[*]Round 11

[*]​Round 12

[*]Round 13

[*]Round 14

[*]Round 15

[*]Round 16

[*]Round 17

[*]Round 18

[*]Round 19

[*]Round 20

[*]Round 21

[*]​Round 22

[*]Round 23

[*]Round 24

[*]​Round 25

[*]​Round 26

[*]​Round 27

[*]Round 28

[*]Round 29

[*]Round 30

[*]​Round 31

[*]Round 32

​​

Daily Deals

[*]Borderlands 2 - $39.99 $10.19 (4-Pack - $89.99 $30.59)[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Bioshock - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock 2 - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock Infinite - $59.99 $29.99
[*]Torchlight - $14.99 $3.73
[*]Torchlight 2 - $19.99 $4.99 (4-Pack - $59.99 $14.99)
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization - $19.99 $4.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Tomb Raider Collection - $69.99 $17.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]The Walking Dead - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $13.79
[*]Dishonored - $29.99 $10.19[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Skyrim: Legendary Edition - $59.99 $36.00[customspoiler='Contents']

Yesterday's Deals

[*]Natural Selection 2 - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Worms Collection - $89.99 $22.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Worms Revolution - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Worms Ultimate Mayhem - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Starforge (Alpha) - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike Complete - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed Pack - $169.95 $57.78[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed III - $39.99 $23.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic $9.99 $3.39
[*]Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - $9.99 $3.39
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $2.23
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $3.74[customspoiler='Contents']

Expired

Persistent Deals

(if you notice a daily/flash sale in here by mistake, please let me know)

-75% or More

-50% to -74%

[*]The Political Machine 2012 - $3.99 $0.99 (4-Pack - $9.99 $2.49)[/customspoiler]

[*]Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - $19.99 $6.79
[*]The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - $19.99 $9.99
[*]The Witcher: Enhanced Director's Cut - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Dead Space - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Dead Space 2 - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Hitman: Blood Money - $8.99 $4.49
[*]Hitman: Codename 47 - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $14.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - $29.99 $14.99
[*]The Cave - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Hits Collection - $29.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $4.99

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $4.47
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $7.49

[*]Mirror's Edge - $19.99 $9.99
[*]McPixel - $4.99 $0.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator - $8.99 $4.49
[*]FTL - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Cart Life - $4.99 $1.99
[*]To The Moon - $9.99 $2.99
[*]VVVVVV - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $20.69
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Need for Speed: Undercover - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Need for Speed: Shift - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Shift 2: Unleashed - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Magical Diary - $14.99 $5.24
[*]Super House of Dead Ninjas - $6.99 $2.37
[*]The Blackwell Legacy - $4.99 $1.99
[*]Jack Lumber - $7.49 $2.24
[*]Anna - Extended Edition - $9.99 $3.39
[*]The Bridge - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Alice: Madness Returns - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Payday The Heist - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike - $9.99 $2.49
[*]The Orange Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Half-Life Complete - $39.99 $19.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rockstar Hits Collection - $89.97 $44.98[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]LA Noire - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Max Payne 3 - $39.99 $19.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Starseed Pilgrim - $5.99 $2.69
[*]The Binding of Isaac - $4.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

All Current Specials

Preorder Deals - Updated 24/6

• The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="Free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition"]
    Digital poster (printable) 
  • Papercraft mask of The Raven (printable)
  • “Making of” booklet 
  • Story book (plenty of background info and artworks)
  • Soundtrack[/customspoiler]

[*]Europa Universalis IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="The 100 Years War Unit Pack DLC"]
  • This DLC adds new, unique unit models to the belligerent nations of the
    100 Years War. Included are 11 infantry models for the warring nations,
    including England, France, Scotland, Burgundy and many more! [/customspoiler]

[*]Saints Row IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="3 Exclusive Team Fortress 2 Weapon Costumes"]
  • Pre-Purchase Saints Row IV and get 3 exclusive Team Fortress 2 weapon costumes to use in Saints Row IV: The Rainblower, the Flamethrower and the Rocket Launcher, only with Pre-Purchases on Steam! [/customspoiler]

[*]Rise of the Triad - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler='The Apogee Throwback Pack']
  • The Apogee Throwback Pack is a collection of four classic Apogee
    Software titles all in one kick ass package. Blast your way across the
    galaxy as British Special Agent Blake Stone in "Aliens of Gold" and
    "Planet Strike", then take on an ancient evil menace as the H.U.N.T in
    "Rise of the Triad".[/customspoiler]

[*]Divinity: Dragon Commander - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler='Immediate access to the Divinity: Dragon Commander beta']
  • As an extra bonus, you will also receive a free upgrade to Divinity: Dragon Commander Imperial Edition.
  • The Imperial Edition includes a golden dragon skin, a Dragons On Earth
    campaign map, a digital soundtrack by award winning genius Kirill
    Pokrovsky, and behind the scenes information like concept art,
    classified design documents, confidential decision tree flowcharts and a
    unique documentary.[/customspoiler]

[*]Total War: Rome II - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="The Greek States Culture Pack"]
  • The Greek States Culture Pack includes three new playable Factions for use in Single or Multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles. These factions are the diplomatic Athens, shrewd Epirus and formidable Sparta as playable factions. Each offers range of special tactics to achieve cultural and martial victories, and lethal elite units to crush foes in battle.
  • The Greek States also share a number of common goals, philosophies and general diplomatic aims. However, they are defined by their fierce independence and between them demonstrate a huge variety in approach to civil and military challenges that often brings them into conflict with the wider world, and each other.
  • Plus, Pre-Purchase and receive the Greek Hellenic Armor for The Pyro & Egyptian Cheetah set for The Scout in TF2. More to come!  [/customspoiler]

Indie Bundle Threads

Groupees
Indie Gala
Indie Royale
Humble Bundle

IndieGameStand

Free Stuff

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Only problem is there is no way to search for items by price, so I don't know what are the cheapest cards.
Just search "gamename card". You'll see all the cheapest card prices. Games like Organ Trail have cards for like 5 cents each. There are loads of games to craft dirt cheap badges for, but that means most of their backgrounds and emotes are worth 2 cents.

Just search "gamename card". You'll see all the cheapest card prices. Games like Organ Trail have cards for like 5 cents each. There are loads of games to craft dirt cheap badges for, but that means most of their backgrounds and emotes are worth 2 cents.
Something I've noticed is that the more cards a game has, the lower they seem to go (also affected by total audience of the game) so you'll end up spending the same on a game with a few cards as in a game with multiple cards

On the search I use "gamename card AND NOT foil" so that most games fit on a single results page

Of course -- the people who buy aren't buying for the cards they're buying for the badge.  So it's the fixed price for the badge of a game divided amongst the number of cards.

The complaints about the sale surprise me, I've been very happy with it personally. I didn't notice any "card based discount lowering" shenanigans.
I don't get it either, I've been buying games 75% and more like crazy and it doesn't hurt the bank.

GTA complete is an amazing deal. Got it last winter and if you for some reason don't have any GTA games yet, BUY IT!
Done!

Nothing for me today...thankfully. Of course, I say that now and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will be a Flash Sale at 80% off.
I really want the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games to go on sale. They aren't even discounted with everything else, not even 40%.

So what are some of the opinions on Dark Souls... I read the the port is horrible.
It's not a great port, but as others has said, you can fix it.

Something I've noticed is that the more cards a game has, the lower they seem to go (also affected by total audience of the game) so you'll end up spending the same on a game with a few cards as in a game with multiple cards

On the search I use "gamename card AND NOT foil" so that most games fit on a single results page
Yeah, that clearly affects the value because of the higher number of drops, and the high cost of the badge IF the price stayed high. That's why a game like Organ Trail is 5 cents or so a card, because there's 15 cards in the set (many of which were pointless additions, imo). Still, look at Bastion. Only about 25 cents a card and only 5 cards in the set. Not the cheapest badge to craft, but close, and easy.

Thanks for the tip on that. I tried searching "gamename card -foil" with no luck. "AND NOT" works?

Yeah, first one I got today was for Warband. Price crashed instantly to the point where I was getting undercut at $2 -- so I just put it up for $1 to get out fast.
Didn't even notice Warband added cards. I'm falling behind on getting all my cards. OMD2 took me about 4 hours last night, so I didn't have time for Mark of the Ninja. So today I got Mark and Warband to play for cards

Yeah, that clearly affects the value because of the higher number of drops, and the high cost of the badge IF the price stayed high. That's why a game like Organ Trail is 5 cents or so a card, because there's 15 cards in the set (many of which were pointless additions, imo). Still, look at Bastion. Only about 25 cents a card and only 5 cards in the set. Not the cheapest badge to craft, but close, and easy.

Thanks for the tip on that. I tried searching "gamename card -foil" with no luck. "AND NOT" works?
OK, this is what is confusing me, what are you getting in return for that $0.25 investment, are you paying 25 cents for some pretty wallpaper, or is there an end game somewhere? for the coupons maybe??

They should have made crafting get you an entry into the win the whole steam catalog prize they did several times before. They're pretty pointless the way they are now.

OK, this is what is confusing me, what are you getting in return for that $0.25 investment, are you paying 25 cents for some pretty wallpaper, or is there an end game somewhere? for the coupons maybe??
Not trying to sound snappish, but hasn't this exact question been asked and answered about 5 times per page in this thread?

Right now, crafting a badge gives you:

XP - Which can increase friend's list size and booster pack chances

Background

Emoticon

A summer sale card

That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Whether that is a valid ROI for you or not is a personal decision. The vast majority of us it isn't, so we either sell cards or hold onto them hoping the market will recover. For others, leveling up or backgrounds or badges may be worth it for games they particularly like.

Awestover explained it above, but basically, you're not getting anything that worthwhile.

In some cases, there are emotes and backgrounds that are worth a lot of money and hold their value. I'm still trying to craft They Bleed Pixels badges because there's a background worth $3+ and an emote worth about the same (though there are some cheap listings of it right now that will probably get bought up), plus I like the game.

But really, it's almost always more cost effective to just buy the emotes and backgrounds you want off the market, rather than rolling the dice on a badge. It's really only worth crafting the badge if you're worried about your Steam level, which is really quite pointless.

On a slightly related note, I really wish the Badges section of our account listed all the games which have trading card support in our library. I noticed yesterday when doing a trade that Brutal Legend didn't even show up until I had a card in my inventory. Makes me wonder if there's anything else hiding; cross-checking is going to be a pain in the ass with a large library.
Bookmark this http://store.steampowered.com/search#category1=998&category2=29&sort_order=ASC&page=1 and if you're using Enhanced Steam it'll be even easier.

How can I get a booster pack?
Once you have received all of your card drops, you become eligible for a booster pack, which is a set of 3 trading cards that may include both basic and foil cards. Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community. Make sure you log in to Steam each week to maintain eligibility.

source: http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq

I doubt the foil rate increases, but if the booster pack drop increases thus does the chance of getting a foil.

On a slightly related note, I really wish the Badges section of our account listed all the games which have trading card support in our library. I noticed yesterday when doing a trade that Brutal Legend didn't even show up until I had a card in my inventory. Makes me wonder if there's anything else hiding; cross-checking is going to be a pain in the ass with a large library.
Edit: I just noticed Trine 2 is MIA as well.
Edit2: ...and Half-Life 2, Portal 2, FTL, Super Meat Boy...wtf!

Yeah, and how about some more sort options. The A-Z is by BADGE name, who the heck has those memorized, how about by GAME NAME?!@#!@$@#$

Got a Bioshock Infintie foil and sold it for $1.45. It is sad that foils have really dropped so low these days.
The main problem with foils is the badge can only be crafted once, whereas regular badges get 5 crafts. Granted, foils are rarer than normal cards, but the number of people willing to craft a foil badge is probably smaller as well, and once they succeed, they leave that pool of potential buyers.

Eventually, there won't be anybody left to purchase the cards, and then we will have thousands of cards on the market, never selling.

Not necessarily completely true. A portion of all card sales for a game go towards the developer, which is likely partly going towards the publisher too (and if the game is self-published, like Castle Crashers...). If you think Valve is the only one with motives in the card game, I think you're off base.
just too elaborate his point when you go to buy screen you see

0.01Terraria fee (10.0%):
$0.01Steam transaction fee (5.0%):
Fees charged by Valve Corporation

I'm hoping Strike Suit Zero wins the community choice (don't most people own bastion and awesomenauts by now?), its the longshot though with two much better known games likely getting more votes.

Anyone have it and wanna give us your opinion?

Time for some freebies up in this b!#%&! (remember when we used to do that in this thread?)

Anomaly: Warzone Earth

Nope
Nu-ugh
Getting Hotter
Well, only cause I'm getting tired:
05VQG-M7ZMF-LJV8N

Oh man, Jagex made Ace of Spades? The Runescape guys making a Minecraft warfare game? That has hot mess written all over it.

I'm hoping Strike Suit Zero wins the community choice (don't most people own bastion and awesomenauts by now?), its the longshot though with two much better known games likely getting more votes.
Yeah, but it won't win because it was glitched to be on a lower discount (66%) than it was currently selling at when it originally came up for voting and when most people are likely voting.

I also voted for Strike Suit Zero.  I have Bastion and I'm not interested in Awesomenauts.  I hope it wins because according to enhanced steam it will be $1.99 cheaper than ever before.

Only tangentially related, anybody have any real world input on the difference between a GTX765M and GTX770M graphic cards for a laptop?

I'm buying a laptop as a graduation/going to college present for my brother-in-law and apparently they take 9-19 business days to arrive. Was really hoping to have it before the end of the month, but at this point I need to order soon to get it here before he leaves for school ...

I am debating between two Sagers, exactly the same except one has the 770M and is $150 more expensive while the other has the 765M. Trying to determine if its worth the extra $

If it was a gaming desktop (specifically my gaming desktop) I would definitely spring for the better card, but in a laptop that typically only lasts around 4 years at best anyway I'm struggling if its worth it or not. Right now he only really plays SW:ToR, the Total War games, and Company of Heroes, but that's mainly because of the family computer. His laptop right now is a piece of crap, and the one his parents were going to buy was some $300 Best Buy bargain bin affair. That's when I stepped in and said hells to the no, I'm buying you one instead. Then I had to convince my husband.

But the convincing is done, and now all that is left is actually buying it.

Not necessarily completely true. A portion of all card sales for a game go towards the developer, which is likely partly going towards the publisher too (and if the game is self-published, like Castle Crashers...). If you think Valve is the only one with motives in the card game, I think you're off base.
You took that out of context. The full quote shows that I'm talking about pubs caring about card money in relation to sale pricing. They don't. They want to merely maximize sales.

I know pubs that have games with cards care about cards in general, but not in the context of sale pricing. That's the argument people are trying to make. Less discounts because of card money. Not true because pubs choose discounts and they don't care about funny money, they get paid the same way no matter how you pay Valve.

Made some wise purchases on the market yesterday. I picked up two Tomb Raider backgrounds for 5 cents and 8 cents. Sold them for over 20 cents each!

FYI you can get 30-35 cents for Resident Evil 6 cards right now, not a good badge to craft cause they are pricey to buy but you can get over a dollar for selling your drops.

Just bought a $2 foil and a $3 foil, all the listings are $10ish for the other foils... Here goes nothing.
You play a dangerous game, also which game were the foils for? I'd probably try something similar but my sale money is what I had in my wallet and what I am making from cards. So I can't gamble on flipping cheap foils.

You took that out of context. The full quote shows that I'm talking about pubs caring about card money in relation to sale pricing. They don't. They want to merely maximize sales.

I know pubs that have games with cards care about cards in general, but not in the context of sale pricing. That's the argument people are trying to make. Less discounts because of card money. Not true because pubs choose discounts and they don't care about funny money, they get paid the same way no matter how you pay Valve.
I didn't take it out of context, because I was still replying to your entire chain of thought, which I don't believe is completely true. If you think devs/pubs don't see the profit behind slightly lower sale prices because of added cards, I don't know what to say. I seriously, seriously doubt that Valve is the only one with that strategy, and isn't sharing that strategy with pubs because it benefits them both.

Not that every pub is going to skimp out on sale prices because of cards, no, but I strongly believe some of these prices are influenced by it, especially when the newest game in the series (with cards) is at a good discount, while the older games in the series are not. My firm belief is that that's intentional, since people will still pick up the older titles (partly) with card money from the newest title. I don't think pubs are as oblivious to the card scheme factoring into prices as you do.

Not a big fan of gaming Laptops, I've fried a few cards. Desktop ftw
Oh no, I agree completely, but the thing with desktops and college is:

a) You can't take your computer with you to class

b) Travelling (in this case cross-country, but really any distance) with a desktop is a pain, and considering that at college you come home for holidays, summers, and move into a new dorm pretty much every year, he'd be travelling a lot

You play a dangerous game, also which game were the foils for? I'd probably try something similar but my sale money is what I had in my wallet and what I am making from cards. So I can't gamble on flipping cheap foils.
I did it before with Mars: War Logs foils and it paid off ($17 profit). Now I'm trying it with Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. The game has EIGHT drops, so I feel like this venture is a lot riskier, but there don't even seem to be very many common cards on the market (and they're holding an alright value), so I'm thinking the game isn't all that popular (though it's in the best sellers list, which makes no sense, since there are only 20 or so of each common on the market).

Anyways, the foil market for the game is pretty scarce right now. Only six different foils up there, and five of them only have one up. Even if I get burned on this one, I don't think I'll lose too much. We shall see.

RE: Gaming Laptops

As a proud owner of a Sager NP9370, I'll tell you those are the damned best gaming laptops you can buy (Alienwares are very solid too, but way more expensive). When it comes to graphics card choice, just search out the performance differences (how well each card can run games you want to play) and decide whether having your system a bit more "future-proof" is worth the extra money. Make sure whatever Sager you're looking at has MXM, meaning you can change out GPUs down the road and upgrade it. The NP9370 is great for that, and there's a lot of room to work inside it, but it's also a heavy beast and very big.

In the end, hordes of people will tell you "Gaming laptops suck! Desktops are cheaper and better!" and while they are cheaper, and they are stronger for the price, like you said, they don't serve the same purpose. So fuck the haters, laptops rule.

Bought Dark Souls from Amazon with the 15% code. Already bought the game at launch on PS3 (how the hell was I supposed to know a PC version was coming?) and really enjoyed it, but didn't do much more than a single playthrough and really only with a fairly cheezy noob-style build. Looking forward to going in a little deeper this time, and playing through Blighttown at a respectable pace.

Ok. Apparently I'm a dumbass and all publishers care about cards and are basing their sales prices on cards.

Good move EA, all the extra card revenue you guys are getting from your games with cards is really paying off. That must be why you guys went with 70% off instead of 75% this year. Same goes for all the plethora of other publishers with no card games. Their discounts are lower because of all dat cardz money dey gettin.

Just picked up FTL and To The Moon. I was going to get FTL off Amazon and use the gooncave code, but decided against it. If FF VII doesn't get a steam deal, then I'll use gooncave for that and save more.

Ok. Apparently I'm a dumbass and all publishers care about cards and are basing their sales prices on cards.

Good move EA, all the extra card revenue you guys are getting from your games with cards is really paying off. That must be why you guys went with 70% off instead of 75% this year. Same goes for all the plethora of other publishers with no card games. Their discounts are lower because of all dat cardz money dey gettin.
I didn't call you a dumbass, I simply explained my take on it. Why does everything have to be so dramatic?

The sarcasm is more or less calling me a dumbass, though. I don't care, I'll accept that, but it's a bit hypocritical.

Just picked up FTL and To The Moon. I was going to get FTL off Amazon and use the gooncave code, but decided against it. If FF VII doesn't get a steam deal, then I'll use gooncave for that and save more.
You can buy FF7 with a 30% off code on GMG right now, I think. Better than 15% off on Amazon.

I don't think you understand the argument. The argument is that some publishers may not be offering discounts as deep as before because the allure of cards will drive people to buy the game despite the somewhat lower discount on the game so they get the same amount of sales at a higher price, hence more revenue. It has nothing to do with the small fees they get on the card sales themselves.

EA isn't really a publisher to factor into any of this because they have been consistently limiting their discounts on Steam for about 2 years now, who knows why, but probably because of their touchy relationship.

To argue that cards don't factor into the sale prices this year is just silly and Steam fanboyism at its best. This entire sale is centered around cards. Steam has tried to feature the games with cards above all else in the dailies, flashes, community vote. Yes, the publishers are the ones with the final say on a price, but it's up to Steam to pitch the price point they want and to convince the publishers to set their game at that price. You don't think some publishers told Steam they would participate in their little card game if they insist but would have to discount the game a little less to pay for that extra work for the cards? And you don't think Steam said they were fine with that? It seems like the logical conclusion, but of course no one here really knows the truth unless we're directly involved in the negotiations.

I don't think you understand the argument. The argument is that some publishers may not be offering discounts as deep as before because the allure of cards will drive people to buy the game despite the somewhat lower discount on the game so they get the same amount of sales at a higher price, hence more revenue. It has nothing to do with the small fees they get on the card sales themselves.
I think your on to something here, With every game including flipping System Shock 2 now having cards I bet they do think, "Hey we added cardz guyz that's worth like 10% off right?"

Then again who are we kidding every game that is posted on the front page will prolly see 100's of thousands of games being bought at even mediocre sale prices, the name of the game is just getting listed as a daily, I mean even Fez sold over 100k games and the developer of that game even admittedly called pc gamers idiots or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back