The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='Kaltic']I do dislike that too, but TF2 is much more friendly to new users than compared to say..... Shattered Horizon. Why don't competitive online games have tutorials? I guess they are going off the "UT3 does and barely anyone plays it so if we don't have a tutorial then our game will be played" way of thinking.

EDIT: I do essentially play only competitive online games so most of the come naturally (once you play 1 or 2 the rest are very similar), but still do wonder why not add a tutorial. Its not like it would hurt the game.[/QUOTE]

See where as I grew up playing JRPGs and have transitioned to play anything that's AAA except for competitive games. Im trying to slowly get into the competitive stuff....but again its stressful on my system thanks to the panic attacks.

Hmmm I wonder if people were yelling at me during Counterstrike. I didn't have a mic so I wouldn't know, but it took me a while to figure out who was and wasn't on my team.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Hmmm I wonder if people were yelling at me during Counterstrike. I didn't have a mic so I wouldn't know, but it took me a while to figure out who was and wasn't on my team.[/QUOTE]

Join a game with no FF and shoot anything that moves.

My least favorite things about Steam...

1) Unlike GoG.com, they aren't as rigorous about making sure older games work on new operating systems. I know it's tough work, but...

2) I forgot what this was, so it must not have been too severe!

3) Prices. I know it sounds odd to quibble about prices when they have such awesome sales, but, frankly, the only time I'd consider buying from Steam is WHEN they have awesome sales. Digital games don't have to pay for manual printing, DVD pressing, cases, shipment to stores, and shelf-space, so the mere thought of paying the same for a digital download as I'd pay for a boxed copy makes my cheap-sense sit in the shower crying and vomiting. I'd prefer to have all my games on Steam, if I could, but I will not pay retail prices. I'd prefer they were more aggressive with pricing, too. I've got a list of older games on Steam that I want and the prices are just too much (Vampire: Bloodlines, Thief, Cthulhu and others).

(The downside is we don't get big, printed manuals with digital games, but those are a sad rarity these days anyway. A game like Civ IV, for instance, almost requires you to read the manual, and I don't want to stare at a PDF, and I sure as hell don't want to destroy the environment or my wallet printing the manuals out myself.)

[quote name='Ryukahn']I disagree completely. I tried playing it on Xbox Live when it first came out for the 360, and I got yelled at the entire time I was trying to learn how to play. I was thrown right into the fire with no idea what I was doing and kept getting yelled at while I tried to figure it out. Not a very good design IMO. I got it a few months back on PC as part of the Orange Box (mainly just wanted Portal), and I have yet to play it for that very reason.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about TF2 PC's community relative to the Xbox Live community in general. I was not speaking for and cannot speak for the 360 version. TF2 is a PC game, through and through. It's not even the same game as the 360 version. The people that play on Live are different from the people that play on PC. And I'm not quite sure why people yelling at you is "not very good design" on the part of TF2.

As for MSI, if you play Medic and aren't healing people, they will probably get a bit ticked off. Sorry if they called you an idiot. I personally move on if a Medic won't heal me. With regards to the other non-medic classes, their descriptions in the class menu are enough to get most players started.

As I said earlier, an interactive tutorial would've been difficult to implement since TF2 must be a bitch to program bots for. And I'll point out once again that TF2 plays tutorial movies when you play a new gametype, at least on the PC version. And let's not forget the tips during loading screens, lingering DEFEND THE POINT or ATTACK THE POINT message that covers 80% of the screen the first time you spawn in a game, or the helpful PRECEDING POINT NOW OWNED, etc text on the HUD. Or the announcer shouting AN ENEMY IS CAPTURING OUR CONTROL POINT, etc.

I was referring to the fact that you get thrown in with little to no info on what the hell you are supposed to be doing being not very good design, not that people were yelling at me.

Also, I assumed you were talking about it on 360 since you mentioned Xbox Live, but reading your comment again I see you were not talking about it directly.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']My least favorite things about Steam...

1) Unlike GoG.com, they aren't as rigorous about making sure older games work on new operating systems. I know it's tough work, but...

2) I forgot what this was, so it must not have been too severe!

3) Prices. I know it sounds odd to quibble about prices when they have such awesome sales, but, frankly, the only time I'd consider buying from Steam is WHEN they have awesome sales. Digital games don't have to pay for manual printing, DVD pressing, cases, shipment to stores, and shelf-space, so the mere thought of paying the same for a digital download as I'd pay for a boxed copy makes my cheap-sense sit in the shower crying and vomiting. I'd prefer to have all my games on Steam, if I could, but I will not pay retail prices. I'd prefer they were more aggressive with pricing, too. I've got a list of older games on Steam that I want and the prices are just too much (Vampire: Bloodlines, Thief, Cthulhu and others).

(The downside is we don't get big, printed manuals with digital games, but those are a sad rarity these days anyway. A game like Civ IV, for instance, almost requires you to read the manual, and I don't want to stare at a PDF, and I sure as hell don't want to destroy the environment or my wallet printing the manuals out myself.)[/QUOTE]

You hit on 1 of my 2 complaints I was planning on posting today.

Price is the complaint we agree on. I dont mind so much if there is only a $10 difference....but they need to keep the price difference at atleast $10. Its really annoying that I can go get a new hard copy of Psychonauts for $10....so why would I pay $10 for the steam version? As games get older the price difference becomes more and more glaring too, you can find hard copiess of many games like Dead Space for under $20 fairly frequently now....so why should I be paying $20 let alone the insane $30 they are charging for it on steam? Its $18 on Amazon so the standard price should be $12 as a MAX.

To Mike. Yes I know that a Medic is supposed to heal...thats obvious. The problem is since there was no tutorial I used my mouse roll(think thats how I did it)to switch my weapon but then never could get the damn weapon off the scalpel and back on to the damned healing gun. So either they wernt making the keys clear, or they were in fucktarded places....or both were happening!

Why do you guys think Steam SHOULD undercut retailers when they actually have little control over price besides Valve games? That makes no sense. Other DD services have the same issues.

To answer why you would spend an extra 10 dollars for a game on Steam rather than retail: Some people prefer to spend an extra 10 dollars to not have a boxed copy. Conversely, some people prefer to spend an extra 10 dollars to have a boxed copy. You can't really look at it as the same products because they're not.

If you have issues with pricing, you should take it up with the publishers, not Steam.

I give up defending Team Fortress 2. It's a PC shooter. Robin Walker and his team at Valve have put years of work into making it accessible as possible, but at the end of the day, Team Fortress 2 is still a PC shooter. Not much else to say.

EDIT: Hey, Kilm, where in Oklahoma do you live?

[quote name='kilm']Why do you guys think Steam SHOULD undercut retailers when they actually have little control over price besides Valve games? That makes no sense. Other DD services have the same issues.

To answer why you would spend an extra 10 dollars for a game on Steam rather than retail: Some people prefer to spend an extra 10 dollars to not have a boxed copy. Conversely, some people prefer to spend an extra 10 dollars to have a boxed copy. You can't really look at it as the same products because they're not.

If you have issues with pricing, you should take it up with the publishers, not Steam.[/QUOTE]

I think their the exact same product. You get the exact same experience except if you buy a physical copy you have a gurantee that you legally own that product and can do with it as you wish where as a digital copy currently by law we really have no real rights.

Yes other DD services have the same problem....that doesnt make it any less of a problem with steam currently.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I think their the exact same product. You get the exact same experience except if you buy a physical copy you have a gurantee that you legally own that product and can do with it as you wish where as a digital copy currently by law we really have no real rights.

Yes other DD services have the same problem....that doesnt make it any less of a problem with steam currently.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I don't understand why people feel the need to blindly defend a product even when it has obvious flaws. Steam is a great service, it also has obvious flaws. It doesn't matter whose fault those flaws may be, those flaws still exist. Who cares if they will never be fixed, their still valid points being made by consumers who by the looks have pumped thousands of dollars into steam in the last month alone.

No one is sitting here trying to prevent people from using the service, just spurring good discussion about it.

People have touched upon most of my "problems" with Steam if you will.

I know Steam invests a lot of its money and time into hosting the games they sell, the servers, etc, but I would still love an option to register other games you own on Steam, even if it's for a fee. Sure some games are so cheap that double dipping is not a big deal during a sale, but I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to pay a 5 buck fee to register some of their store bought games and have them available on Steam.

I figure if they can sell server intensive games like CS or DoD for that price or less it would be a reasonable price to be able to register and access other PC games available on Steam that you already own.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I think their the exact same product. You get the exact same experience except if you buy a physical copy you have a gurantee that you legally own that product and can do with it as you wish where as a digital copy currently by law we really have no real rights.

Yes other DD services have the same problem....that doesnt make it any less of a problem with steam currently.[/QUOTE]

It's not a problem with Steam, it's a problem with publishers. Your complaints are misdirected.

You just contradicted yourself in saying they're the exact same product. One product you physically and legally own (according to you) and the other you have no real rights. Same product? Nope.

[quote name='kilm']It's not a problem with Steam, it's a problem with publishers. Your complaints are misdirected.

You just contradicted yourself in saying they're the exact same product. One product you physically and legally own (according to you) and the other you have no real rights. Same product? Nope.[/QUOTE]

Considering that for the most part you can not buy the digital product from the publisher, and Steam is one of the main distributors of the content I do not think the complaints are misdirected.

If Steam chooses to sell a flawed product, it is still Steam's problem. They can't just say, "oh we knew this was a problem, but we chose to sell it anyway, but don't complain to us, complain to them."

They made the decision to sell what they sell. They could have just as easily sold just their own content and content from publishers who chose to abide by their rules. It would have likely just been indie game companies, but they could have set their own rules. Emusic did the same with their service and have found some success.

I think everyone "complaining" about Steam loves the service and would agree the benefits far outweigh any gripes.

Steam's problems have nothing to do with me. From my simple vantage point, it's the same product, and my cheap-sense tells me I should not pay the same as I would for a boxed copy in a store. Many people think along the lines of a digital download being some imaginary thing and a boxed copy being a tangible object. It's not hard to see why some folks would prefer to buy something tangible than an imaginary object (though I personally, as I said, enjoy having everything on Steam as much as possible).

That's something Steam needs to combat. Most people aren't going to sit down and make a list of why things are how they are or blame publishers (and of course I do blame publishers, but that's not the topic here, Steam is). They're just going to say, "This should be cheaper" and not buy it. Simple as that. No passion, no letter to the complaint department, just a lack of a sale, and they'll buy Big Buck Deer Trucker Hunting 3D XTREME at Wal-mart for $5 cheaper and get an ugly plastic box and a DVD.

I mostly only buy during the mega-sale because I'm cheap. Just how it is, and if Steam wants to change that, they'd have to find a way. I'm not their think tank. It's their job, not mine.

It's not like they're sitting here reading my list of complaints anyway. We're not boycotting Steam, just discussing things we don't like about it. There are many things I love about Steam, or I simply would not be here, and I would not have spent the bazillion dollars there that I did during the holiday sale.

[quote name='kilm']It's not a problem with Steam, it's a problem with publishers. Your complaints are misdirected.

You just contradicted yourself in saying they're the exact same product. One product you physically and legally own (according to you) and the other you have no real rights. Same product? Nope.[/QUOTE]

Bzzzt wrong! It'sstill a problem with steam. Even if it is the publishers fault it does not matter because it still leaves a problem with steam.

Besides you cant blame publishers when steam hasn't released much on the way they do business, the profit they are making etc etc. After Prey sold out they said they had run out of licenses, so that would mean chances are Valve buys the right to sell so many copies of a game from a developer then just has those keys around to sell. If thats the case then that mean steam gets them cheap enough that they are running these sales without publisher permission and still making profit....meaning steam can easily drop the prices on these games.

And besides that point is the fact that Valve does have control over their own properties....which remain horribly overpriced to this day on steam. Its pretty obvious they want to keep prices up, have a huge sale which drives popularity and thus demand for the game and means after the sale is over sales still remain up.

Regardless as I said even if the above is not true the first statement is...its a problem that steam currently has even if its a problem that publishers/developers are causing.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Considering that for the most part you can not buy the digital product from the publisher, and Steam is one of the main distributors of the content I do not think the complaints are misdirected.

If Steam chooses to sell a flawed product, it is still Steam's problem. They can't just say, "oh we knew this was a problem, but we chose to sell it anyway, but don't complain to us, complain to them."

They made the decision to sell what they sell. They could have just as easily sold just their own content and content from publishers who chose to abide by their rules. It would have likely just been indie game companies, but they could have set their own rules. Emusic did the same with their service and have found some success.

I think everyone "complaining" about Steam loves the service and would agree the benefits far outweigh any gripes.[/QUOTE]

If you think your complaints aren't misdirected, you'd be flat out wrong.

....You can buy products from the publishers. Welcome to http://www.steampowered.com (Valve says Hi)
http://eastore.ea.com/ (EA says Hi)
http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.8611800 (Capcom says Hi)

Steam chooses to have a large collection of games because it is in their best interest to have a large collection of games. Whether a game is flawed or not is not a problem with Steam or Steam's problem. It's only a problem with Steam if, for instance, the game doesn't WORK on Steam. If you can't launch a game from Steam, then it's Steam's problem. Whether or not it has 3rd party DRM is an issue for the developers that Steam has no power over. You have all the information provided to you to make that decision so it's not like you're blind sided by Steam.

Complain to the publishers, not with Steam. Even then, Steam's product page has the requirements list and big known issues (such as issues with Vista) that have to be addressed by the publishers or developers, NOT Steam. So they can just say, "Talk to the publishers, not with us" if the issue is with the game itself and not with Steam.

Steam's problems have nothing to do with me. From my simple vantage point, it's the same product, and my cheap-sense tells me I should not pay the same as I would for a boxed copy in a store.

That's something Steam needs to combat. Most people aren't going to sit down and make a list of why things are how they are. They're just going to say, "This should be cheaper" and not buy it.

That's great for you, bro. And I agree with you, a game is a game no matter what packaging it comes in, and that's how I feel as a consumer.

But the case is still "Do I want a product I can touch or do I want a product I cannot touch?" Two actually separate products. Steam already combats this issue by being and reminding customers that's it's NOT a physical product you can touch.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Bzzzt wrong! It'sstill a problem with steam. Even if it is the publishers fault it does not matter because it still leaves a problem with steam.

Besides you cant blame publishers when steam hasn't released much on the way they do business, the profit they are making etc etc. After Prey sold out they said they had run out of licenses, so that would mean chances are Valve buys the right to sell so many copies of a game from a developer then just has those keys around to sell. If thats the case then that mean steam gets them cheap enough that they are running these sales without publisher permission and still making profit....meaning steam can easily drop the prices on these games.

And besides that point is the fact that Valve does have control over their own properties....which remain horribly overpriced to this day on steam. Its pretty obvious they want to keep prices up, have a huge sale which drives popularity and thus demand for the game and means after the sale is over sales still remain up.

Regardless as I said even if the above is not true the first statement is...its a problem that steam currently has even if its a problem that publishers/developers are causing.[/QUOTE]

BZZZZZT! Wrong. Publishers, not developers, provide the keys to distributions services and as much as we all like to think, they are not infinite keys, or else I could randomly type in a CD key and receive a game (since if they had infinite keys, all possible combinations are accounted for).

And your speculation about how Steam does business is totally off the wall and I'm not even going to bother with it.

I'm just saying that all these issues with Steam aren't really issues with Steam because there is nothing for them to fix that they can fix on their side.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I'm not really sure why we're in such heated debate over this.[/QUOTE]

It's not really a debate. It's just mal-informed people having misdirected complaints.

Mostly because Kilm seems obsessed with deflecting any criticisms about Steam to the developer or publisher or 9/11 or El Nino.

The last I will say about this is to me, any problem or criticism I have with a game on Steam, the way Steam works, or how hot my ramen is remains Steam's problem in my opinion and no amount of technicalities and backwards logic will change that.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Mostly because Kilm seems obsessed with deflecting any criticisms about Steam to the developer or publisher or 9/11 or El Nino.

The last I will say about this is to me, any problem or criticism I have with a game on Steam, the way Steam works, or how hot my ramen is remains Steam's problem in my opinion and no amount of technicalities and backwards logic will change that.[/QUOTE]

You seem to be terribly obsessed with being wrong, so it evens out.

If you actually had a legitimate criticism with Steam, then there's no issue. But you don't.

[quote name='kilm']It's not really a debate. It's just mal-informed people having misdirected complaints.[/QUOTE]

But your acting like this is a debate and your acting like an all knowing ass. My guess is you dont really know much if anything more then the rest of us yet your trying to come across as some kind of authority. Hell you even try countering me saying a problem is a problem with a childish but its not a problem if you cant fix it(and you ignore points like me saying Valve overprices their own games).

Again and the last time I say this or anything on the subject. A problem is a problem is a problem. It does not matter who is at fault for the problem if it exists and it relates to you you have to take responsbilty for that problem. My mother fucked me and my other brother up beyond belief but I dont walk around saying my problems are my mothers, I accept them as my own and try to find ways to fix them. Steam is no different, yes the publishers may give them headaches but it doesnt excuse them for a glaring issue. Each person and each company must ultimately take responsibility for themselves....that's a big part of the problem today...to many whiny turds trying to pass the ownership for their own problems on to other people.

Next time you want to have a discussion with people...try doing so vs acting like a rude jackass with people just trying to debate an issue.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']...Steam puts games on sale. People buy games when they're dirt-cheap - say, Torchlight for $5. Someone gets the bright idea to stock up on games when they're marked down, and then sets up a third party website to undercut Steam's prices...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this can currently be done. Correct me if I'm wrong but said person could buy the games on sale and have the gift codes sent to multiple email addresses that they own and later send the same gift codes to the individuals who purchase the games through the third party site.

[quote name='MSI Magus']to many whiny turds trying to pass the ownership for their own problems on to other people.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me of the time where people actually had issues with publishers but instead put the blame on a particular game digital distribution service.

Next time you want to have a discussion with people...try doing so vs acting like a rude jackass with people just trying to debate an issue.

A debate needs a real issue. This is a real issue: Steam doesn't set prices and doesn't have full discretion on how to price their catalog. Totally Steam's fault for not being allowed the power to set prices on IPs they don't own.

Seems kind of like arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. If you get hot and bothered everytime you think someone is wrong or has a malformed opinion, sir kilm, I fear you'll spend much of your time hot and bothered.

Steam credited me for having played 4.3 hours of Day of Defeat... though I swear I only played like one 5 minute round... do the games somehow run in the back ground and glitch that way?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Seems kind of like arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. If you get hot and bothered everytime you think someone is wrong or has a malformed opinion, sir kilm, I fear you'll spend much of your time hot and bothered.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of me when I was like 17-20 and still in my I hate the world, I know whats right and if you dont agree with me you clearly must be an idiot stage.

Anyyyyyways! Since no one else has commented on it is anyone else surprised by the top 10 digital distribution list? I was surprised to see CoD MW2 get beat out by steam and since Torchlight came out so late in the year I was suprised to see it make the top 10 list! Both were pleasant surprises, but surprises none the less.

And as for the topic in the last few posts I just discovered that little hours tracked thing in the last week or 2 and even though its a stupid feature I love it! Id have loved to have it around for tracking my Diablo 2 hours....I seriously wouldnt be suprised if my D2 hours added up to a whole year of my life lost to that game.

See, I think the MW2 being on the list is slightly offsetting the data. Don't you have to register the game with Steam? So every copy was technically digital distribution. I could be wrong on that since I don't have the game but that is what I thought. Same with Left 4 Dead 2, I mean even retail purchases were tagged as digital distributions. Of course I could have also been misunderstanding your statement too.

I hate to mention this because I don't want to re-ignite the previous topic... but why in the hell is MW2 so expensive? PC games retailing for $60 frightens me.

And on the note of a true cheap-ass, looking forward to the weekend deal. Even if I probably won't want it, it's always exciting.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I hate to mention this because I don't want to re-ignite the previous topic... but why in the hell is MW2 so expensive? PC games retailing for $60 frightens me.

And on the note of a true cheap-ass, looking forward to the weekend deal. Even if I probably won't want it, it's always exciting.[/QUOTE]

Because developers and publishers will charge whatever they think they can get away with. Activision's CEO has went on record saying that he thinks we pay far too little for games and that he wants to trend the industry towards paying more and games being shorter.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Someone posted the weekend deal in the deals forum... Serious Sam HD for 6.79.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I updated the topic. And yesh dont think ill be getting it. Reviews look bad, ill try the demo though.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thanks I updated the topic. And yesh dont think ill be getting it. Reviews look bad, ill try the demo though.[/QUOTE]

I bought Serious Sam for 99 cents at a local computer gaming store that is no longer around...That game was FUN as hell. I love the Co-OP mode but it is not a brain shooter....it's a dumb down as you can possibly get but the game is fast and fun.

Yeah, I think my brother picked up the non-HD version of this game a few years back for not so much either. Will probably borrow it from him when I get the urge to play. From my recollection even the non-HD version looked pretty good from a graphic's standpoint.

So much for that then. :) Is Thursday when the weekend deals usually pop up? I was assuming mid-week to be Wed and I guess weekend to be Friday.

After getting so many great games for such low prices, SSHD for $7 doesn't seem very lucrative. :)

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Seems kind of like arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. If you get hot and bothered everytime you think someone is wrong or has a malformed opinion, sir kilm, I fear you'll spend much of your time hot and bothered.[/QUOTE]

It's not really an argument, but if that's how you want to see it, sure. Just constant corrections. As for being hot and bothered, whatever floats your boat, buddy.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Reminds me of me when I was like 17-20 and still in my I hate the world, I know whats right and if you dont agree with me you clearly must be an idiot stage.[/QUOTE]

If you got personal issues, bro, take it to the blogs. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php

I liked the regular Serious Sam (and part 2 even more) but not enough to buy a prettier version of it. Good price, though.

I use to have a maximum $20 per game budget...not matter what...Due to the STEAM sale...I lowered my standard to $5.00.

My ladies are right...with each year I get cheaper and cheaper LOL!

[quote name='kilm']It's not really an argument, but if that's how you want to see it, sure. Just constant corrections. As for being hot and bothered, whatever floats your boat, buddy.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, but constant corrections is kind of the essence of argument. I have to wonder if "constant corrections" is your conversational style in person as well; I can't imagine that being very enjoyable. And now I'm correcting you, and that doesn't float my boat, it sinks it. :( So I shall tarry no longer upon it, good sir.

________

I downloaded the Gratuitous Space Battles demo and am totally surprised. I think it'll be on my short list for the next sale.

Also downloaded the Samantha Swift demo. :) Always looks interesting, but I sure don't expect to enjoy it. heh

[quote name='Kenrik']$9.99 was too much the first time around... $6.79 hits the spot. Click. Bought.[/QUOTE]

Was it $9.99 during the Christmas sale? If so, $7 is a dang fine price! Maybe I'll just have to seek out the demo of that, too (or maybe I should play my games instead of constantly demoing others).

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Okay, but constant corrections is kind of the essence of argument. I have to wonder if "constant corrections" is your conversational style in person as well; I can't imagine that being very enjoyable. And now I'm correcting you, and that doesn't float my boat, it sinks it. :( So I shall tarry no longer upon it, good sir.

________

I downloaded the Gratuitous Space Battles demo and am totally surprised. I think it'll be on my short list for the next sale.

Also downloaded the Samantha Swift demo. :) Always looks interesting, but I sure don't expect to enjoy it. heh

Was it $9.99 during the Christmas sale? If so, $7 is a dang fine price! Maybe I'll just have to seek out the demo of that, too (or maybe I should play my games instead of constantly demoing others).[/QUOTE]

Heh I have a feeling if you lived near me we would be best of friends ;)

And daaaang! I just got the new monitor I ordered and its AWSOME! I was using like an old 15 inch and upgraded to a 22 inch monitor. Best $140 I ever spent. This is seriously so amazing! I can see all sorts of stuff in game I never could before....feels almost like getting a new graphics card!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Heh I have a feeling if you lived near me we would be best of friends ;)[/QUOTE]

:)

And yeah, monitors do make a huge difference. They're often given short-shrift by gamers (me, anyway!). I was using a 16:10, 15" monitor for the longest time, always dark, always felt like something was kinda wrong with it, but figured hey, it's just a monitor.

Now I'm on a brand new laptop with a 1080p display and proper color and contrast and all that... and whoa. Pretty drastic difference. The colors are awesome.

Anyway. Wanted to say I feel ya there. If I'd known, I probably would not have been on the same junky monitor for 4 years! Makes a huge difference even just on the desktop, e-mail, etc etc.

Ha, it took me forever to upgrade to an LCD and large monitor myself. I always went with the cheapest bulky monitors to save money on the unnecessary things, but once I started seeing how nice laptops looked and how much better new monitors looked I had to upgrade eventually and have been very happy ever since. Some of the new monitors are too shiny for my taste, but the right balance makes a big difference everything.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Ha, it took me forever to upgrade to an LCD and large monitor myself. I always went with the cheapest bulky monitors to save money on the unnecessary things, but once I started seeing how nice laptops looked and how much better new monitors looked I had to upgrade eventually and have been very happy ever since. Some of the new monitors are too shiny for my taste, but the right balance makes a big difference everything.[/QUOTE]

See and I did have an LCD monitor, all I did was update to a bigger monitor....can not believe the difference it makes!

On topic again - Another issue with steam is the lack of demos! Drives me nuts that there are lots of games that have demos available off steam....but I cant find any on steam!

[quote name='MSI Magus']See and I did have an LCD monitor, all I did was update to a bigger monitor....can not believe the difference it makes!

On topic again - Another issue with steam is the lack of demos! Drives me nuts that there are lots of games that have demos available off steam....but I cant find any on steam![/QUOTE]

Yes, the lack of demos is annoying. If they can't host the demos themselves a link to a download elsewhere would be helpful.

What I would love on Steam is their own built in CanYouRunIt feature where it would read your computer specs and let you know if you can run a game they have. That way I could just look on the game page itself and it would tell me if I met the minimum or recommended specs and decide whether or not to buy the game.

You really need to have a video card that can give you frame rates at the 1080p native resolution. I had a 8800GT, but it would chug along 1080p (especially on Red Faction) after doing pretty well at 1680x1050 on most games. I picked up a GTX 275 and that did the trick.

Another suggestion is to use a desk mount from monoprice to really make your set up nice. I've got a 22" and 23" in a dual monitor set up with some monoprice desk (http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2) mounts. This really cleared up some desk space.

IMG_1541.jpg

The Steam Holiday 2009 CAG Survey (Version 2.0--Final Version!)

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?
Killing Floor and TorchLight. Both really good games.

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?
Indigo Prophecy, no widescreen or Xbox 360 controller support. Great story, shitty game.

3) Are there any daily deals you regret not purchasing?

Trine. Bought it when it was higher priced

4) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)
Ywdc0.jpg

5) What will you do differently next year?
Buy Buy Buy

6) What game would you most like to see on Steam?

I honestly have no idea...

7) What would you pay for it?

8) Does this guy work for Steam, or what?
no
9) Where's his hair?
His back

bread's done
Back