The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

Killing Floor, aka one of the best PC games in years, just received a big new free content update (new levels, weapons, fixes and tweaks, etc), and is also 50% off this weekend:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/4453/

This includes the DLC, including the brand-new Postmortem character pack. BUY BUY BUY.

Also, that "The Ball" character I mentioned is, indeed, a bonus for preordering The Ball.

Sweet, tower defense fans should definitely give Sol Survivor a try. It just has a ton of content and is updated fairly regularly. We have a group buy thread here ($3.75 per person).

If you anyone picks up Killing Floor or Sol Survivor, don't forget to join the appropriate CAG Steam groups!

3fd2c49ee83c3a1bdf219acb51ded1e7610430ea_full.jpg

Killing Floor

9bc442b759df237a34eef29038628c1542c05515_full.jpg

Sol Survivor

The second post of this thread is now home to CoffeeEdge's upcoming Steam games list! We'll continue to update the first two posts of the thread and try to house as much useful information as possible.

I just ask that you, the awesome CAG Steam enthusiasts, subscribe to the thread and try to post regularly. You can also plug this thread in other threads (such as Steam deals), which would help get some fresh blood in here.

Ooooo Killing floor is tempting but I'm a little worried about the community even though there seem to be just under 2000 people playing it daily. (I play HL2: deathmatch on occasion and that has 1/4 the population so IDK)

[quote name='iRent']Ooooo Killing floor is tempting but I'm a little worried about the community even though there seem to be just under 2000 people playing it daily. (I play HL2: deathmatch on occasion and that has 1/4 the population so IDK)[/QUOTE]

Granted, the last time I played it was when I purchased it (back during the summer sale), but there was a good amount of people playing and it wasn't hard to find a game at all.

[quote name='iRent']Ooooo Killing floor is tempting but I'm a little worried about the community even though there seem to be just under 2000 people playing it daily. (I play HL2: deathmatch on occasion and that has 1/4 the population so IDK)[/QUOTE]

It always has plenty of people playing, don't worry.

i have hit my paypal purchase limit and i want to get the new killing floor Post Mortem DLC. I will gift paypal $1 in advance if some one will gift me the DLC. PM if interested in helping me out. Thanks!

I've never logged on to KF without at least 50 servers to choose from of varying difficulties and maps. I would not worry about the community dwindling any time soon.

Great game with a little bit of jank but easily worth the asking price of 10 bucks. I feel they chose the worst time to go on sale with L4D2 and Dead Rising 2 itching many people's zombie scratch.

My stingy self should have just bought the L4D bundle. Anyway tried out Sol Survivor. Not bad but there are a million of free ones just like this...That or I can just jump into the original starcraft again and play terran d.

Also, kinda holding out for Dungeon Defenders which doesn't get released until November. I have a netbook (for school) and it would be nice to be able to bring some kind of game along.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Two more coming soons:

one of the games that that insane assclown Tim Langdell[/url] tried to sue for the use of the word "Edge," which he believes he has the exclusive rights to. He more or less literally makes his living from trying to bully companies who publish games with the word "Edge" in the title for royalties)
- Zeit² (space shooter with time travel)[/QUOTE]

that guy is a massive dbag.

Yeah, I know I stuck up for Blade Kitten, but I was just doing so on principle. It could have used a few more months of polish.

Guild Wars: Eye of the North (jeez, about time), the Rhythm Zone visualizer DLC, Diamond Dan, and the X SuperBox all just went up. And here's a few more coming soon things:

- Descent 3
- Borderlands Game of the Year Edition (doesn't look like they'll be removing the DRM from the DLC. Arrrrgg!)
- Samantha Swift and the Mystery from Atlantis
- F.E.A.R. 3
- American McGee's Alice: Madness Returns (god, what an awful subtitle. "Alice II" would suffice)
- The Undergarden
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - The Lost Levels DLC (apparently these were levels cut from the original version of The First Encounter, back in 2001)

I saw Alice and thought that maybe, just maybe EA decided to smarten up and re-release it's old games. Then I read the entire title.

Wishful thinking =/

That's like hoping that when Lucas started talking about re-releasing their old classics we'd get Grim Fandango and Maniac Mansion.

I patiently wait for the day EA and Lucasarts decide to do something with their back catalog.

Still waiting to see what the pre-order price/offers will be for Dungeon Defenders...

When I get home from my trip I'll give Sol Survivor a shot. Heard it was pretty fun.

[quote name='animalspinners']I saw Alice and thought that maybe, just maybe EA decided to smarten up and re-release it's old games. Then I read the entire title.

Wishful thinking =/

That's like hoping that when Lucas started talking about re-releasing their old classics we'd get Grim Fandango and Maniac Mansion.

I patiently wait for the day EA and Lucasarts decide to do something with their back catalog.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I'm not understanding/following you, but I always wanted to play Grim Fandango (being one of the best games ever, apparently), and I used to love playing Maniac Mansion back on my NES....used to always get Bernard, and call the space police :) Actually, used to think he was required to fix the electricity too.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Still waiting to see what the pre-order price/offers will be for Dungeon Defenders...

When I get home from my trip I'll give Sol Survivor a shot. Heard it was pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd like to see what steam has to offer for Dungeon Defenders, not that it'll matter as I'll likely get it anyways...and I prefer steam, only on the basis that all my games are through it, and don't mind paying a bit more to keep them on Steam, not that I have a problem with Impulse, etc.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Quick tidbit: Borderlands Game of the Year Edition will be on Steam, and will include the same early demo access for Duke Nukem Forever.[/QUOTE]

Son of a bitch. Wonder if this means Borderlands will be in a similar situation as Fallout 3, where the GotY will go on sale while the original/DLC won't. I was kinda hoping to pick up Claptrap for cheap eventually.

[quote name='eastx']I think $5 is the cheapest, unless I am mistaken.[/QUOTE]

damn. probably won't see a sale until the holidays or a when the sequel comes out.

Anyone who has Borderlands on Steam, go right click your Borderlands listing in Steam, click view game CD key, and touch yourself while viewing your Duke Nukem Forever early demo access code thing. Apparently Steam owners of the game don't need to re-buy GotY edition for that. Or it's a mistake, so you might wanna paste it somewhere on the off chance that it gets pulled.

[quote name='SEH']I see it under the DLC option in properties, but there's no key listed.[/QUOTE]
Click CD key along the right of the product page. That's where you'll find it.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Click CD key along the right of the product page. That's where you'll find it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Anyone who has Borderlands on Steam, go right click your Borderlands listing in Steam, click view game CD key, and touch yourself while viewing your Duke Nukem Forever early demo access code thing. Apparently Steam owners of the game don't need to re-buy GotY edition for that. Or it's a mistake, so you might wanna paste it somewhere on the off chance that it gets pulled.[/QUOTE]

Oh hell yea thanks Squee key is saved!

[quote name='eastx']Valve's new game is Defense of the Ancients 2.

http://kotaku.com/5663018/valves-new-game-is-dota2[/QUOTE]

Woot! Me and my friends played DotA and almost nothing else for about 2 years. It was awesome.

That coaching idea is awesome. I had my friend kind of doing the same thing when I first started playing it REALLY helped out. After a few games of him helping, I was able to figure out strategies/builds for heroes I hadn't played before on my own.

I'm not sure I'm really liking this. Valve is getting into some majorly poisonous and dramatic territory, with this particular sub-genre.

I'm also REALLY not liking this talk about Steamworks integrating "out-of-game" stuff, including forums activities. I don't want forums behavior or activities to have anything to do with a game. I have no idea how they intent to integrate this with their forums, but this is sounding seriously uncool.

I'm nervous. Valve, DO NOT fuck UP STEAM OKAY.

[quote name='Scorch']regarding the duke key, don't just copy it somewhere, enter it in.

dukenukemforever.com/activation[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks for the link!

Valve possibly entering the buy-back market??

Rumour: Valve To Offer Steam Trade-Ins
Valve could be gearing up to offer Steam users the ability to trade in licenses, according to industry analyst Michael Pachter.

In a NowGamer interview, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter discussed ways the games industry could tackle the impact of preowned sales, including digital alternatives such as Steam.

"Steam is phenomenal, it’s a great service," Pachter explained, "Steam gives gamers enough other stuff so that they don’t resent the fact they can’t trade in their games. And you know, name all the Steam games that you’ve purchased that you’ve traded back in to somebody else for credit. Steam’s about to let you do that supposedly, you know like trade and exchange, but they’re going to take a fee from it."

NowGamer attempted to contact Valve for comment, but has so far received no response on the subject.

Should Valve offer Steam users the ability to trade-in licenses for credit, it could mark the beginning of an attractive USP for the service, although we're not entirely sure how such a service would work.
Meanwhile, Valve has just announced its next project, Defense Of The Ancients 2.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/4422/rumour-valve-to-offer-steam-trade-ins

I can see this working if you can only resell and get "steam credit" as in put into the Steam Wallet. Couple that with most likely really low buy back prices. Other than that, I don't see Valve gaining a lot if they don't do that since bought back licenses cannot really be re-used to sell at a lower rate ala a Gamestop. But I'm all for it, I would trade in 10 of my backlog, never re-installing games again for a newly released title...

[quote name='aznguyen316']Valve possibly entering the buy-back market??

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/4422/rumour-valve-to-offer-steam-trade-ins

I can see this working if you can only resell and get "steam credit" as in put into the Steam Wallet. Couple that with most likely really low buy back prices. Other than that, I don't see Valve gaining a lot if they don't do that since bought back licenses cannot really be re-used to sell at a lower rate ala a Gamestop. But I'm all for it, I would trade in 10 of my backlog, never re-installing games again for a newly released title...[/QUOTE]

Was just coming to post this. If true it would be interesting to see what the buy back prices are. My guess is they will be pretty low both because it is not as though steam can sell what they buy from you back to other people(unless they are buying licenses from developers and then it is considered buying the licenses back from you, but that would piss off developers)and with some of the sales being as low as they are again I can not imagine getting much for the game. For example a $20 game you would expect to get at least $5ish for right? Well what if you bought that game at a $5 sale?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Was just coming to post this. If true it would be interesting to see what the buy back prices are. My guess is they will be pretty low both because it is not as though steam can sell what they buy from you back to other people(unless they are buying licenses from developers and then it is considered buying the licenses back from you, but that would piss off developers)and with some of the sales being as low as they are again I can not imagine getting much for the game. For example a $20 game you would expect to get at least $5ish for right? Well what if you bought that game at a $5 sale?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thinking about it, I still would like to sell off my old bunk titles for a really cheap price.. but coming back to your resell back to Valve thing if you bought the game on sale already... then yeah Valve may lose out. So my guess is they'll have a 'select MANY' titles that just aren't able to be resold back to Valve/steam... so if that's the case, I would love to see a gift your old games to friends come about.. but this has also been discussed before too, but if reselling is a possibility then I don't see why gifting purchased licenses can't be discussed either. But there was a mention of a fee so who knows, that could be tacked on to sell backs or gifting I guess.

Any other thoughts? I find this intriguing.

The "trade-ins" rumor is completely stupid and worthless. Pachter is just talking completely out of his ass with absolutely no sources or evidence whatsoever.

No, there is no credible rumor about Steam trade-ins. Just an analyst, who knows no more than you or I, completely and utterly guessing (and, if you ask me, saying shit to try to keep himself in the gaming news like he's been doing for years).

There is absolutely no reason to believe it's happening.

[quote name='aznguyen316']Yeah, thinking about it, I still would like to sell off my old bunk titles for a really cheap price.. but coming back to your resell back to Valve thing if you bought the game on sale already... then yeah Valve may lose out. So my guess is they'll have a 'select MANY' titles that just aren't able to be resold back to Valve/steam... so if that's the case, I would love to see a gift your old games to friends come about.. but this has also been discussed before too, but if reselling is a possibility then I don't see why gifting purchased licenses can't be discussed either. But there was a mention of a fee so who knows, that could be tacked on to sell backs or gifting I guess.

Any other thoughts? I find this intriguing.[/QUOTE]

Thing is that if you can gift games to other people that opens up the used market complty. If steam is offering you $2 for a game and selling the game for $20 then why not just sell your game to a friend for $10? That is why we will not see the ability to gift old games to friends.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Quick coming soon news: Atari's new remake of Star Raiders (one of the forefathers of the space sim genre, and a real classic) is coming to Steam.

Also, Blacklight: Tango Down is 50% off, $7.49, as the weekend deal. It was $3.74 on GFWL and Impulse recently, so, kinda weak. Also, the game kind of sucks.[/QUOTE]

Kind of sucks? There is no "kind of" about it, the game is terrible. The mouse controls are the worst I've ever seen in a PC FPS. Combine that with the fact that there are like three people who play online when you need eight or whatever it was, and you have absolutely zero reason to waste any money on that piece of trash.

As for the whole Steam trade-in thing, I'd love it. I have SO many games in my library that haven't been installed or played in years. If they did do it though, I doubt they'd make it where you can trade/gift "used" games, or even buy "used" games from them. They'd most likely just keep it a buy-back only service on their end.

bread's done
Back