The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

same here man. before steam, the only game i owned was warcraft 3 and frozen throne. everything else, i pirated. now i have 91 steam games. some games i still have pirated though, like devil may cry 4 and call of duty 4. but they dont really count since i STILL havent played them. I was actually hoping to buy dmc4 during the winter sale, but they had to go and raise it from $5 to $10. i wouldve definitely bought it for $5. also gears of war. i dont think ill ever unpirate that game since its never coming to steam. but i havent played that in years anyway.
hmm, i forgot what the topic was.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Drivers would be the best place to start since I have not done that in a few months. Really though what it comes down to is I am a console kid and I have a backlog of dozens upon dozens of games. It is hard to spend an hour or more figuring out what the hell the problem is, whenever I can just install FEAR and play it or play a PS3/PSN game I have not gotten around to yet. I plan on getting a new PC within the next 6 months, so I just went ahead and put it under the list of games id play when I got the new PC.[/QUOTE]

Those games have bugs that have nothing to do with video cards. Though you can use STEAM to help you update your video card drivers easier.

During the Indie sale that was going on in the holidays one of the free games that came bundle with it was Overture and it had a very similar problem for a girlfriend of mine. She emailed me and I found out it was something to do with that game and she had to rename a file in the installation or something to that effect.

As for the hassle in PC gaming - There is some of that when it comes to betas, alphas and recently released games from botchy developers. With any purchase, research has to be done to make sure you money is getting it's absolute best value.

On personal note, I dropped retail for that reason...you have freeware games that get released with no problems and yet games with budgets can't get it together? Hence my exodus.

BTW - I loved F.E.A.R it was a great SP game. My nephew bought me that game awhile back and it was fun.

-------------
In other news.

[quote name='Megazell']Steam 2010 Revenue Nearly $1 Billion [Feb 03, 2011, 09:57 am ET]

Valve's Steam service took in almost $1 billion USD, according to Forecasting and Analyzing Digital Entertainment, where they say: "Estimated revenues through the major digital PC retailer were estimated at $970 million USD in 2010, with December capping off the year with an estimated $213 million USD." They offer a list of the top titles on the service, which was dominated by shooters:
Top Selling Titles, by Estimated Gross Revenues in 2010

Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision) - $98.2 Million USD
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision) - $39.4 Million USD
Left 4 Dead 2 (Valve) - $36.0 Million USD
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Electronic Arts) - $25.4 Million USD
Sid Meier's Civilization V (2K Games) - $21.9 Million USD
Portal (Valve) - $20.0 Million USD
Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks) - $17.0 Million USD
Metro 2033 (THQ) - $13.4 Million USD
Mafia II (2K Games) - $11.9 Million USD
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising (THQ) - $10.8 Million USD

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/118292/steam-2010-revenue-nearly-usd-1-billion[/QUOTE]

Looks like it may be bust for Metro 2033. Just got back and the game is installed but I'm stuck at the product activation screen for STEAM.

Either it's a fluke or they're systems are down with all the people trying to get it because my account says that I own the game on the Nvidia site but when I go to get the product key I get a server error saying come back later.

Metro was removed from my account. I knew they'd stop the error, I didn't think they'd kill all of the keys.

EDIT: It's pretty pathetic, so many people in the deal thread being offended by the fact that Steam rectified a glitch. Too much entitlement...

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Metro was removed from my account. I knew they'd stop the error, I didn't think they'd kill all of the keys.

EDIT: It's pretty pathetic, so many people in the deal thread being offended by the fact that Steam rectified a glitch. Too much entitlement...[/QUOTE]

Looks like this won't be on my list....for now.

FEAR Extraction = awesome so far. I unlike the others that posted am enjoying it more then the base game. Its actually scared me or at least made me tense in several places because you can not tell what is real and trying to damage you and what is just an illusion. The game play also seems better paced.

Is there a more recent list of retail keys that activate on steam? I ask because I found a game at half price books today for $5 and it had the steam logo on the back, I checked the list and it wasn't on there. I decided to pick it up anyways and see. Sure enough it activated on steam, it makes me wonder what other games are missing from the list.

The game in question is Shadowgrounds Survivor

[quote name='Megazell']In other news.
Steam 2010 Revenue Nearly $1 Billion [Feb 03, 2011, 09:57 am ET]

Valve's Steam service took in almost $1 billion USD, according to Forecasting and Analyzing Digital Entertainment, where they say: "Estimated revenues through the major digital PC retailer were estimated at $970 million USD in 2010, with December capping off the year with an estimated $213 million USD." They offer a list of the top titles on the service, which was dominated by shooters:
Top Selling Titles, by Estimated Gross Revenues in 2010

Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision) - $98.2 Million USD
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision) - $39.4 Million USD
Left 4 Dead 2 (Valve) - $36.0 Million USD
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Electronic Arts) - $25.4 Million USD
Sid Meier's Civilization V (2K Games) - $21.9 Million USD
Portal (Valve) - $20.0 Million USD
Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks) - $17.0 Million USD
Metro 2033 (THQ) - $13.4 Million USD
Mafia II (2K Games) - $11.9 Million USD
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising (THQ) - $10.8 Million USD

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/118292/steam-2010-revenue-nearly-usd-1-billion
[/QUOTE]

These "sales figures" can be completely ignored. They are complete and utter guesses (or "estimations") pulled out of this air by a retail analysis outfit, that doesn't have any more official sales data from Valve, than any of us do.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']These "sales figures" can be completely ignored. They are complete and utter guesses (or "estimations") pulled out of this air by a retail analysis outfit, that doesn't have any more official sales data from Valve, than any of us do.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, not to mention almost all of those are registrable from retail copies which Steam probably sees little to no money from.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Is there a more recent list of retail keys that activate on steam? I ask because I found a game at half price books today for $5 and it had the steam logo on the back, I checked the list and it wasn't on there. I decided to pick it up anyways and see. Sure enough it activated on steam, it makes me wonder what other games are missing from the list.

The game in question is Shadowgrounds Survivor[/QUOTE]

No unfortunately not I would post in the steam forum with your discovery. However, if a game uses Steamworks for the retail version it will register in Steam.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']No unfortunately not I would post in the steam forum with your discovery. However, if a game uses Steamworks for the retail version it will register in Steam.[/QUOTE]

I'm really new to steam and pc gaming. What is steamworks?

[quote name='exileinoblivion']fuck you

on a related note, I did google it before posting. It sounds exactly like the steam platform. I don't really see how the two are different. Either that or valve just did a poor job of explaining it on their site.[/QUOTE]

Steamworks is the API for developers to tie in their game with Steam specific features such as achievements, VAC, micro-transactions etc. This is why some games sold at retail require steam (Fallout:NV, Civ 5)

I dunno about you, but it made sense to me as I read it.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Steamworks is the API for developers to tie in their game with Steam specific features such as achievements, VAC, micro-transactions etc. This is why some games sold at retail require steam (Fallout:NV, Civ 5)

I dunno about you, but it made sense to me as I read it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised that a former consoler can not read and understand what's written about STEAM.

[quote name='Megazell']I'm not surprised that a former consoler can not read and understand what's written about STEAM.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't he respond then he is not surprised that something for the PC was made overally complicated ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Megazell']I'm not surprised that a former consoler can not read and understand what's written about STEAM.[/QUOTE]

Because playing console games effects reading comprehension.
So high on the throne.

Upcoming crap:

• Atom Zombie Smasher
  • Cities in Motion
  • Dinner Date
  • Final Fantasy XIV
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (this was known as Storm of War: Battle of Britain until recently. Either way, it's the new sim from Maddox Games! This is going to be AMAZING.)
  • Jamestown
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles (Sega Genesis Classics)
  • The Dream Machine
  • Worms Reloaded DLC

Another tidbit: they aren't on Steam individually yet, but when preorders for Dungeon Siege III go live soon, it'll include Steam copies of Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 for free, as well. Unless DS3 starts to look really terrible for reason, I'm sold. Also, I think that there might be some sort of promo involving Metro 2033 and Homefront soon, and I also think there might be a new Square Enix sale before long.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Asshole.[/QUOTE]

Oh well. Digital hate. Awesome sauce.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']fuck you

on a related note, I did google it before posting. It sounds exactly like the steam platform. I don't really see how the two are different. Either that or valve just did a poor job of explaining it on their site.[/QUOTE]

Aww, that's sweet. I promise that if you had started with 'I Googled it but...' I wouldn't have responded with such snark. To add to what has been said before, Steamworks (if I remember correctly) also allows you to have your save games and game profiles in the cloud, so if you play on multiple computers your settings and saves will be the same regardless of where you play.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Steamworks is the API for developers to tie in their game with Steam specific features such as achievements, VAC, micro-transactions etc. This is why some games sold at retail require steam (Fallout:NV, Civ 5)

I dunno about you, but it made sense to me as I read it.[/QUOTE]

Googling steamworks comes up with this statement "Steamworks is not just for digitally distributed games. Add your retail game to the growing list of Steamworks enabled titles and give these great features to even more of your customers.

Steamworks gives you access to a connected community of 25 million gamers and a robust world-wide network – and it's entirely free. There are no licensing fees and there’s no charge for bandwidth, or OEM distribution. With Steamworks, you avoid the overhead and delay of certification requirements. Distribute your game on your terms, updating it as quickly and frequently as you see fit."

The steamworks website mentions nothing that you said so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

I never did understand the correlation between gaming and being a douchebag but this thread shows it in spades. Why you all have this elitist attitude is beyond me. Apparently being a pc gamer makes you the perfect human, immune to any faults.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']
I never did understand the correlation between gaming and being a douchebag but this thread shows it in spades. Why you all have this elitist attitude is beyond me. Apparently being a pc gamer makes you the perfect human, immune to any faults.[/QUOTE]

One person in this thread said something disparaging (not counting when you told me to F off), and more than one person gave him a hard time about it. People on the board, in general and in this thread especially, are incredibly helpful. Like I said before, if you had started your post by saying that you Googled Steamworks but couldn't figure out what it meant then we would have known that you did some legwork and didn't come here for the folks following this thread to be your personal Googlers. The first post in the thread, which EastX has graciously given his time to create and update, has a lot of info that you might be looking for.

That's true; please read the OP, Exile. I compile a lot of information for you guys so that you won't have to ask. Please don't let Megazell (who no one that posts regularly here actually likes) discourage you from posting in this thread.

Yeah-Yeah, it's good to remember that if you use LMGTFY, you will automatically get a negative response. The odds of someone responding in a positive way are like 1 in 50. IMO it's best not to use LMGTFY unless you already know the person you're teasing.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']One person in this thread said something disparaging (not counting when you told me to F off), and more than one person gave him a hard time about it. People on the board, in general and in this thread especially, are incredibly helpful. Like I said before, if you had started your post by saying that you Googled Steamworks but couldn't figure out what it meant then we would have known that you did some legwork and didn't come here for the folks following this thread to be your personal Googlers. The first post in the thread, which EastX has graciously given his time to create and update, has a lot of info that you might be looking for.[/QUOTE]

Ah, please don't take that fuck you seriously. I'm so used to seeing LMGTFY it was funny to get called out for it, but there was really no malice in my words. When I did google it the little steamworks page by valve gave me no useful information. You are right I probably should have checked the OP before asking though.

And believe me one person isn't enough to discourage me from a thread. There are plenty of assholes on here, if I were to let them get to me then I wouldn't have gotten in on half the amazing deals around here that I have.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah-Yeah, it's good to remember that if you use LMGTFY, you will automatically get a negative response. The odds of someone responding in a positive way are like 1 in 50. IMO it's best not to use LMGTFY unless you already know the person you're teasing.[/QUOTE]

Awww, but it's so awesome! I'm going to try it 50 times and tally my responses because I think I'll get a better than 2% non-negative reaction rate.

I keed, I keed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJqJM4xM-oE

[quote name='eastx']That's true; please read the OP, Exile. I compile a lot of information for you guys so that you won't have to ask. Please don't let Megazell (who no one that posts regularly here actually likes) discourage you from posting in this thread.

Yeah-Yeah, it's good to remember that if you use LMGTFY, you will automatically get a negative response. The odds of someone responding in a positive way are like 1 in 50. IMO it's best not to use LMGTFY unless you already know the person you're teasing.[/QUOTE]

Gotta love this pretentious attempt of discourse on here.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']What? Get out.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=get+out[/QUOTE]

I'll have to remember that in the future if I don't agree or think like everyone else...I shall be shunned.

Shame though since everyone billed this place as an open minded forum about PC gaming in general oh well.

[quote name='Megazell']Shame though since everyone billed this place as an open minded forum about PC gaming in general oh well.[/QUOTE]

You're kidding, right? You basically called into question somebody's ability to read because they play games on a console. How the hell do you expect people to respond to that holier than thou bullshit?

What you said had nothing to do with being "open minded," it was just mean spirited and reinforced the opinion that PC gamers are nothing but elitist bastards.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']You're kidding, right? You basically called into question somebody's ability to read because they play games on a console. How the hell do you expect people to respond to that holier than thou bullshit?

What you said had nothing to do with being "open minded," it was just mean spirited and reinforced the opinion that PC gamers are nothing but elitist bastards.[/QUOTE]

Well it did fit the bill though. The info he needed was here and on the web in general. That person claimed to do some searching and research when in fact they did not. So the jab was meant to showcase how it's not surprising how a person from that game playing background did not do what they stated they did.

It happens all the time on other sections of this forum in other threads by other people. They each call each other on their shortcoming with a jab and nothing is really serious about it's just playful banter with underling message from time to time.

I'm just getting singled out because for whatever reason people from this spot took a real offense to me for whatever reason from my personal choice to game as I do to my refusal to play on other platforms and all in all it's sad that people are taking this so seriously.

Last edited:
[quote name='Megazell']Well it did fit the bill though. The info he needed was here and on the web in general. That person claimed to do some searching and research when in fact they did not. So the jab was meant to showcase how it's not surprising how a person from that game playing background did not do what they stated they did.

It happens all the time on other sections of this forum in other threads by other people. They each call each other on their shortcoming with a jab and nothing is really serious about it's just playful banter with underling message from time to time.

I'm just getting singled out because for whatever reason people from this spot took a real offense to me for whatever reason from my personal choice to game as a I do to my refusal to play on other platforms and all in all it's sad that people are taking this so seriously.[/QUOTE]

Well whatever your intention was, it did not come off as playful banter. Not in the slightest. I took it seriously because I see this attitude towards console gamers all over and that's what's really sad. It's a poor representation of PC gamers and might discourage somebody from getting into PC gaming if a simple question is met with questions about his reading comprehension skills.

I'm sorry I called you an asshole, but do you see where I'm coming from?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Well whatever your intention was, it did not come off as playful banter. Not in the slightest. I took it seriously because I see this attitude towards console gamers all over and that's what's really sad. It's a poor representation of PC gamers and might discourage somebody from getting into PC gaming if a simple question is met with questions about his reading comprehension skills.

I'm sorry I called you an asshole, but do you see where I'm coming from?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Apology accepted.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I'm sorry I called you an asshole[/QUOTE]

I don't see why you're sorry for stating the obvious =/

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Upcoming crap:...
[/QUOTE]
Dinner Date and Jamestown look like interesting concepts.

Why does Square think PC gamers only want to play FF if it's an MMORPG?

I see Sonic 3 listed, but it was from the last Sega batch, which I only bring up as it seems that Toejam & Earl 1+2 have been removed from Steam (Save the Funk!).

[quote name='YodaEXE']Anyone played Dungeons? It looks interesting, but I don't know if it's worth the $40 to play it.[/QUOTE]

I bit on it for the hell of it. There should be a demo out there somewhere (maybe through Steam, I haven't checked), so I'd grab that and give it a whirl. The first thing you should know is that while it looks similar to Dungeon Keeper and has some similar aspects, it is in no way shape or form like Dungeon Keeper. It's more of a pseudo tower defense game with some RPG and strategy mixed in.

I don't think it's a bad game. You'll hear a lot of negative feedback from users who were wanting a game like Dungeon Keeper. At $40, I'd probably say wait until a sale unless you really enjoy the demo. At $20 I feel I can recommend it to anyone who doesn't expect a Dungeon Keeper from it. If you're expecting Dungeon Keeper then you're probably better off staying far away from it because you'll just end up hating it.

EDIT: If I get enough time this weekend, I may write a small review. Don't count on it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Draekon']I bit on it for the hell of it. There should be a demo out there somewhere (maybe through Steam, I haven't checked), so I'd grab that and give it a whirl. The first thing you should know is that while it looks similar to Dungeon Keeper and has some similar aspects, it is in no way shape or form like Dungeon Keeper. It's more of a pseudo tower defense game with some RPG and strategy mixed in.

I don't think it's a bad game. You'll hear a lot of negative feedback from users who were wanting a game like Dungeon Keeper. At $40, I'd probably say wait until a sale unless you really enjoy the demo. At $20 I feel I can recommend it to anyone who doesn't expect a Dungeon Keeper from it. If you're expecting Dungeon Keeper then you're probably better off staying far away from it because you'll just end up hating it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I was definitely expecting it to be like Dungeon Keeper. I found the demo on FilePlanet, so I'll get that a go, but based on what you're saying I think I will wait for a sale. It sounds interesting, but not worth $40. $20 does sound like a better price point.

[quote name='Draekon']I bit on it for the hell of it. There should be a demo out there somewhere (maybe through Steam, I haven't checked), so I'd grab that and give it a whirl. The first thing you should know is that while it looks similar to Dungeon Keeper and has some similar aspects, it is in no way shape or form like Dungeon Keeper. It's more of a pseudo tower defense game with some RPG and strategy mixed in.

I don't think it's a bad game. You'll hear a lot of negative feedback from users who were wanting a game like Dungeon Keeper. At $40, I'd probably say wait until a sale unless you really enjoy the demo. At $20 I feel I can recommend it to anyone who doesn't expect a Dungeon Keeper from it. If you're expecting Dungeon Keeper then you're probably better off staying far away from it because you'll just end up hating it.

EDIT: If I get enough time this weekend, I may write a small review. Don't count on it though.[/QUOTE]

Sigh. On one had it sounds like a pretty good and fun gmae in its own right....but on the other I REALLY wanted another Dungeon Keeper ;( ah well a good game is a good game and I love me some tower defense.

I was looking for a new co-op game for me and a few friends, so I gave Magicka the good ol American try. Way too many weird little bugs, nothing game breaking that I've found yet, just audio cutting out at times and text disappearing. But if you are interested, might want to wait for some patches. Oh, and the Norwegian dialog takes some getting use to.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I was looking for a new co-op game for me and a few friends, so I gave Magicka the good ol American try. Way too many weird little bugs, nothing game breaking that I've found yet, just audio cutting out at times and text disappearing. But if you are interested, might want to wait for some patches. Oh, and the Norwegian dialog takes some getting use to.[/QUOTE]

That is Norwegian dialog? I actually listen to some Norwegian bands and I just thought it was just gibberish. :whistle2:?

Figured I'd post this here rather than the trade thread. I've got an extra copy of Metro 2033 on Steam. I'm looking to get rid of it for $15. Anyone interested just PM me.

/endshill

[quote name='SEH']Pretty sure it is gibberish.[/QUOTE]

Ha! My bad. I figured with the Norwegian names that they were actually speaking the language. Embarrassingly enough, half my family members are native Norwegians, but I can't even speak a lick of the language.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Ha! My bad. I figured with the Norwegian names that they were actually speaking the language. Embarrassingly enough, half my family members are native Norwegians, but I can't even speak a lick of the language.[/QUOTE]

Your not the only one.. My Grand father and Uncle live in Norway and they sounds just like the characters. Only norwegian I picked up was Thanks for the food "tak fu matten" (sp?) and beer "earl" (sp?)

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I was looking for a new co-op game for me and a few friends, so I gave Magicka the good ol American try. Way too many weird little bugs, nothing game breaking that I've found yet, just audio cutting out at times and text disappearing. But if you are interested, might want to wait for some patches. Oh, and the Norwegian dialog takes some getting use to.[/QUOTE]

Magicka has been patched practically *every day* since its release, and while it was frustrating at release, it's definitely playable now. If you enjoy being a pain in the ass, trolling, griefing, and otherwise just screwing around, not doing the objectives--in a fun way (not advocating going around pissing off people you don't know who are serious business about the game) then yes, this is the game for you. Spent most of last night fucking off in the game, casting rain, meteor storm, conflagration, time warp, turning my friends into ice, and mining the shit out of everyone, then rezzing everyone back...and received a good deal of this too, as I was mowed down often by...well no spoiling it, but basically a very cheap weapon that doesn't belong in the game :) Some of the most fun I've ever had with friends, screwing around in a game.

As far as the accent/language used, its complete gibberish, and if you listen closely, you'll realize this as they say very english bullshit in a hilarious way.

bread's done
Back