The Thrift Store Thread 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Goodwill day- $15 for a basically brand new Wiimote, the top of the plastic packaging had been cut off but inside the box was a flawless controller with the rubber cover. $2 for a Gameshark 3.3 for N64, its the one with the parallel port on the back. $3 for the Bongo controller for Wii or Gamecube. Too bad they didnt have Donkey Konga or DK Jungle as well.

Well, I'm gonna have to give this Goodwill stuff a try. I'm gonna head to two today, since they both are along the way to the baseball game I'm going to tonight. I'll let you guys know if I find anything decent there. :D

[quote name='juangrande386']Great Goodwill day- $15 for a basically brand new Wiimote, the top of the plastic packaging had been cut off but inside the box was a flawless controller with the rubber cover. $2 for a Gameshark 3.3 for N64, its the one with the parallel port on the back. $3 for the Bongo controller for Wii or Gamecube. Too bad they didnt have Donkey Konga or DK Jungle as well.[/QUOTE]

My friend got a Bongo dirt cheap a while back. Apparently they threw it in with the kid's stuff rather than electronics/gaming stuff and marked it really low. He got me into checking out the toys after he snagged a He-Man set still in the box for like $2 or $3 and resold it for $100+.

[quote name='juangrande386']Great Goodwill day- $15 for a basically brand new Wiimote, the top of the plastic packaging had been cut off but inside the box was a flawless controller with the rubber cover. $2 for a Gameshark 3.3 for N64, its the one with the parallel port on the back. $3 for the Bongo controller for Wii or Gamecube. Too bad they didnt have Donkey Konga or DK Jungle as well.[/QUOTE]

They're .99 at gamestop, and check you local store, or online stock indicator.

Edit-Whoops thought you were looking for the bongos.

Why are Bongos so cheap at GameStop? I snagged some new in the box for $3.99 last year during the clearance sale, and they're $.99 used. I might pick up three more.

Well, I didn't find anything but a book to read this time around. :/ Oh well, it got me hooked, I'm gonna check out a few other Goodwills over the next few weeks. :D

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Why are Bongos so cheap at GameStop? I snagged some new in the box for $3.99 last year during the clearance sale, and they're $.99 used. I might pick up three more.[/QUOTE]

GameStop probably just doesn't want to sit on them since they would take up too much space in a store that is already crowded from all of the junk games that get traded in. Since the bongos are so common they would probably pile up rather quickly at GameStop if they sold them for say $5-10 used.

yeah i found the bongo and wiimote in the toy section. usually the new workers put that stuff there instead of electronics

I hit up the Salvation Army again today. I snagged Jurassic Park Part 2: The Chaos Continues and a Super Gameboy for the SNES each for .50. The woman said she expected more SNES sometime next week as there's copies floating around somewhere.

I'm happy as my SNES collection is fairly weak and I really wanted a Super Gameboy.

Found a copy of Micro Machines for the NES, and a copy of "FM" on VHS. $2.00 and $1.00 respectively. I've got no clue what FM is, but I knew it was worth a good amount more than a dollar on the bay.

Still haven't really found anything at my local thrift stores. One had two Playstations for $5 each, but they had no cords or controllers. I passed on them, especially since I've got four that I need to get rid of.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']My local goodwill let me down today for the first time in a long time. They just had the usual Genesis sports titles and one copy of Golf for the NES. I've got a manual for that now, maybe I should pick it up. I probably won't, though. They want $4.99 for it.[/QUOTE]

$4.99 for an NES game? Ouch. The Goodwills around here are fairly standard on NES games... $1.97 cart only, $2.97 if it has the box.

Then again, they also have a weird habit of leaving Dreamcast games in with CDs and selling them for CD prices. I got my friend Resident Evil: Code Veronica for around $1 a few years back. A friend of ours borrowed his copy, never returned it and noone could find him after HS.

The DC might not be weird, but they'll still stuff most of the PS and all Windows 98-ME games that aren't kiddy in their display cases for like $5-$7... and usually leave XBox games with DVDs.

[quote name='pyoobez']$4.99 for an NES game? Ouch. The Goodwills around here are fairly standard on NES games... $1.97 cart only, $2.97 if it has the box.

Then again, they also have a weird habit of leaving Dreamcast games in with CDs and selling them for CD prices. I got my friend Resident Evil: Code Veronica for around $1 a few years back. A friend of ours borrowed his copy, never returned it and noone could find him after HS.

The DC might not be weird, but they'll still stuff most of the PS and all Windows 98-ME games that aren't kiddy in their display cases for like $5-$7... and usually leave XBox games with DVDs.[/QUOTE]

The double standard exists at my thrift stores as well. The one with the $4.99 NES game at one point had a ton of stuff marked $4.99, mostly N64 games. I bought Metroid Prime 2, LoZ: Majora's Mask, and Ghosts n' Goblins at that price, and they were all well worth it. However, a few weeks later they put out CIB Genesis games at 1.99 with the VHS tapes. They've got PS1 games in with the CDs, but they're crappy games like Jeremy McGrath Supercross 98, and they've got new in the box PC versions of board games like Clue and Life for $10 in the display case.

The other thrift store has the same problem. They keep some N64 games in the case for $5-10, but I found Star Wars Episode 1: Battle for Naboo in the electronics section for something like $3. Thrift stores are complete luck of the draw already, but arbitrary pricing makes it even more of an adventure.

Got a copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors for the Genesis for $.50 at a thrift store. Don't know if that's a good deal or not, but I got it anyways for my zombie collection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/juangrande386/CIMG8377.jpg
Sega Genesis Model 2 with RF adapter- $7.50 after 25% off
6 Button Arcade Stick- $3.00 after 25% off
NES Games- Crystalis, Dragon Warrior, Dragon Spirit, Tengen Gaunlet, 8 Eyes- $20
Genesis Games- NHL94- $4 PitFighter-$2

Used my PSP ac adapter to turn on the Genesis and I think the rf adapter is broke or it was getting too much power cause the screen was black and white and looped on my tv. $4 a game really adds up fast but I didnt have any of the NES games in my collection. For some reason the chick was like "this one will be $4 because most of our other games are $4" after I pointed out that PitFighter had $2 written on it. I thought that was kinda lame but whatever NHL94 is seriously my most played game of all time.

You can't use just any AC adapter, ya turkey. The Genesis uses a 10v adapter, and the PSP uses 5v I think. You likely didn't break it, though. Try to find an actual Genesis adapter.

I feel bad for you guys having to drop $4-$5 on NES games. Maybe better games will stay in stock a little longer, but still. $3 is my cutoff price and I don't even like spending that on games w/o cases or manuals unless they're something I really want like River City Ransom.

Oh, and I hit up the Salvation Army 50% off sale today. I actually just went down to get a PS Racing wheel they've had for $2 for the past week or two, but of course, it was gone. Anyway, I found three NES games marked .50, so they were a quarter each...

Tetris
Little Mermaid
and... Sesame Street Countdown

I used to play Countdown as a kid somewhere... it might've been at a friend's or it might've been on an old Tandy or something. I really wanted the game, just because the voice sounds were insanely great for an NES game.

Then, I picked up an old school car snow shovel as it looked relatively new and marked $2, so it was only $1. Plus, it was worth the $1 just to walk home with people staring at me as I carried a snow shovel home in the middle of July.

I was going to hit up a thrift store near me but I found out they close for the summer. Why would they close when more people will be out shopping?

[quote name='icedrake523']I was going to hit up a thrift store near me but I found out they close for the summer. Why would they close when more people will be out shopping?[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's bizarre. Unless they're a mom and pop shop (we have a few in the general area) and they're going on vacation/going to all the yard sales to pick up stuff.

$4-5 a game is lucky, one store where I'm at is selling nes, snes, and original GB games at $6.99 and $7.99.. Needless to say they don't sell much.

[quote name='pyoobez']Wow, that's bizarre. Unless they're a mom and pop shop (we have a few in the general area) and they're going on vacation/going to all the yard sales to pick up stuff.[/QUOTE]

It's run by the town's Service League (not really sure what that is). They won't open until September when I won't be around a except for a weekend when I come home. I'll have to look for some others nearby.

[quote name='rtooby']$4-5 a game is lucky, one store where I'm at is selling nes, snes, and original GB games at $6.99 and $7.99.. Needless to say they don't sell much.[/QUOTE]

See, that's not uncommon for video stores around here, but not thrift stores. The one local video store I stop by very, very infrequently (namely because they seldom have games for sale) tries to pawn off XBox and PS2 games for $20. Granted, they are new, but the titles suck. They also did a GBA sale for $6.99. I sorted through the stack and grabbed the one good title and bounced (Final Fantasy I & II)

NES, SNES and Genesis games are like $3 tops. GB games are nearly impossible to find around here. I've found more systems than games themselves.

the only games i would probably pay 5 or more for are rarer titles like the megaman games or punch out/contra/bubble bobble 2 etc. Then again, if there's a game i want and i don't feel like hunting yard sales for it i just get it

DSC03129.jpg

2 dollars each for the NES carts and a 1 dollar for the Sega Smash Pack 2 for PC from a local thrift store.

[quote name='icedrake523']What possess them to put the price tag right in the middle of the label?[/QUOTE]

Probably so the theives who like to steal stuff don't switch out the price tags, if I recall, those little price stickers are the kind that will rip the label off when you peel them. Few people in here have said that they've seen empty game cases and people taking stuff from SA so it's a mixed bag.

[quote name='icedrake523']What possess them to put the price tag right in the middle of the label?[/QUOTE]

i think they do that so the cashier sees it right away when they're examining it. in my experience that type of price tag comes off quite easily as the adhesive is more "tacky" and tends to lift away better than other tags. especially on Vindicators: Tengen was kind enough to put a fairly thick laminate layer over their labels which can actually take a lot of wear and tear, unlike most licensed cart labels.

i hate when they put the price tag on the rear label, especially on N64 carts, where there is no laminate or glossy surface whatsoever. fortunately, the worst ones can be salvaged with a quick swap for a less valuable game that has an identical rear label.

The price tags were a little annoying to remove but they didn't do any damage to the cart art. As for the price tag placement I would have to agree with the switching price tags.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I wish a lot more of the thrift stores would tape the cd cases closed like Goodwill. At the thrift store I found the NES carts they had Seaman and a Japanese Resident Evil Code Veronica X both on Dreamcast that were missing the game discs. Two games I would have liked to have in my Dreamcast library.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Probably so the theives who like to steal stuff don't switch out the price tags, if I recall, those little price stickers are the kind that will rip the label off when you peel them. Few people in here have said that they've seen empty game cases and people taking stuff from SA so it's a mixed bag.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='allyourblood']i think they do that so the cashier sees it right away when they're examining it. in my experience that type of price tag comes off quite easily as the adhesive is more "tacky" and tends to lift away better than other tags.[/quote]

Which is it? #-o

[quote name='allyourblood']especially on Vindicators: Tengen was kind enough to put a fairly thick laminate layer over their labels which can actually take a lot of wear and tear, unlike most licensed cart labels.

i hate when they put the price tag on the rear label, especially on N64 carts, where there is no laminate or glossy surface whatsoever. fortunately, the worst ones can be salvaged with a quick swap for a less valuable game that has an identical rear label.[/QUOTE]

At least it's the rear label though. You can print a replacement off of thecoverproject.net but you need something to make it into a sticker.

[quote name='icedrake523']Which is it? [/QUOTE]

it's what i said, it's what i said! ;)

At least it's the rear label though. You can print a replacement off of thecoverproject.net but you need something to make it into a sticker.
well, like i said, you can just replace the entire back half of the cart with one from a less-desirable game. easier and you don't end up having to use a "fake" label.

[quote name='GoAztecs']

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I wish a lot more of the thrift stores would tape the cd cases closed like Goodwill. At the thrift store I found the NES carts they had Seaman and a Japanese Resident Evil Code Veronica X both on Dreamcast that were missing the game discs. Two games I would have liked to have in my Dreamcast library.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, that burns. I found RE:CV American version at goodwill a few years ago, and it was covered in dirt. Literally, the disc and case looked like they had been dropped in mud. The discs washed off fine, and I was able to play them without any trouble, but the manual is still messed up pretty bad.

Forgot to add my pickup of the day. For $.50, I got The 3D Adventures of Sailor Moon. With a title like that, there's no way I wasn't picking it up. It's one of those mid-90's PC games that take advantage of those newfangled THREE DEE GRAPHICS. I'll post (hopefully hilarious) screenshots later, that is if I can even get the thing to run on my PC.

Goodwill today had a bunch of copies of Sims 3 for 6 dollars each. They looked like closeouts from Target, and only came in the DVD case, not the original cardboard. Everything was there otherwise though, so I picked one up even though I'm not certain if it will even run on my Computer.

Other pick ups at Goodwill today:

Ghoul School for NES $3.00

Vinyl Records $1.00 Each:

Riptide by Robert Palmer
She's So Unusual by Cindy Lauper
Business as Usual by Men at Work
90123 by Yes
and Music from the Edge of Heaven by Wham

Good finds today:

DSCF0006-1.jpg

Sonic Adventure $3.48
Crash Basj $3.48
Bard's Tale II Destiny Knight $.99
Super Mario World $1.25
Tom Jerry War of The Whiskers $3.35
Phantasmagoria Stage Fright $3.99

DSCF0007.jpg

$20 for everything
Super Nintendo System
Contra III
Game Genie
Rampart
Home Alone
U.N. Squadron
Starfox
Fatal Fury
Gradius III
Turn and Burn No Fly Zone
Vortex
Super Off Road
Desert Strike
Pilotwings
Toy Story
Final Fight
Mortal Kombat 3
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
asciipad
Lethal Weapon
Out of This World

Dang schuerm what thrift you got to goodwill,salvation what damn those some good finds only picked up(Goodwill)
Super mario world nes:$3

[quote name='thakoolkid']Dang schuerm what thrift you got to goodwill,salvation what damn those some good finds only picked up(Goodwill)
Super mario world nes:$3[/QUOTE]

The Super Nintendo stuff was at a Goodwill. I lucked out with that one. I didn't even see it because the it was all in that box that the games are in BEHIND a counter where the cash register was. I had already made the Sonic Adventure and Crash Bash purchase and was walking out when I saw it. Thrift stores always amaze me with their ability to make things impossible to see and find.

Bard's Tale II was at a goodwill.
War of the Whiskers and Super Mario were at Salv. Army
Phantasmagoria Stagefright was at a Major Thrift

:pAh i see.. Best goodwill i had went was one in austin where they had the games and ish out by the cashier(So i didnt have to wait an ask) found three good pick up's there about two weeks ago
-FF VII (Complete)
-FF VIII (Complete)
-Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Dreamcast Disc Only)

Crazy thing happened though when i wanted to buy them the retarted cashier said $4each a game so i was like alright i grab the ff's and marvel and get ready to pay .. this where it gets crazy
(Cashier)-Picks up marvel vs capcom 2 puts the price in, hen she picks up the ff vii and opens it up and says uh? THREE DISCS? ima have to charge you $4 a piece!
(ME) Ifuck what are you serious i was thinking bout dat ffvii and the four disc ffviii
(Cashier)-she asks me do you want to talk to a manager
(Me) I say hell yeah
(Cashier) Calls the manager (She comes down after 5mins)
(Manager) Oh deez are what your talking about sorry sir i thought they were diffrent
(ME) Yuh whatever (I Pay the Twelve And :bouncy:)
I sit in the car and realize behind the marvel game theres a soul calibur so i think well i kinda deserved it after that b.s, got home sold ffvii on ebay for 50 wanted to sell ffviii but the fourth disc couldnt be read on sh*t:bomb:

[quote name='spmahn']90123 by Yes[/QUOTE]

Actually its 90125. I have no less than two copies of it on vinyl myself. My first copy skips real bad during "Leave It." Oddly enough it plays perfectly otherwise so I suspect the previous owner(s) had a thing for that song.

I wish both my SA and Goodwill I frequent were better at stocking their vinyl records. At SA they just dump them into a wooden bin that is crammed full to the point of where its impossible to look at them without making a complete mess. Then the one old guy who's always around gives you dirty looks when you look at them so I don't bother. At Goodwill they have them stack on a metal type shelf which isn't too bad but again they are so crammed that its hard to browse through them. Not to mention anything good I have found tends to be scratched real bad. Which made me almost scream one time when I found Beatles "Sgt. Peppers" buried in a pile... that was a UK Mono pressing.

[quote name='thakoolkid']Crazy thing happened though when i wanted to buy them the retarted cashier said $4each a game so i was like alright i grab the ff's and marvel and get ready to pay .. this where it gets crazy[/QUOTE]

Anyone see the irony here?

[quote name='thakoolkid']Crazy thing happened though when i wanted to buy them the retarted cashier said $4each a game so i was like alright i grab the ff's and marvel and get ready to pay .. this where it gets crazy[/QUOTE]

Anyone see the irony here?

Got these at the SA today, both mint and complete...surprisingly-

God of War 2 $3.99
Nightmare creatures 2 (PS1) $.99

[quote name='thakoolkid']:pAh i see.. Best goodwill i had went was one in austin where they had the games and ish out by the cashier(So i didnt have to wait an ask) found three good pick up's there about two weeks ago
-FF VII (Complete)
-FF VIII (Complete)
-Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Dreamcast Disc Only)

Crazy thing happened though when i wanted to buy them the retarted cashier said $4each a game so i was like alright i grab the ff's and marvel and get ready to pay .. this where it gets crazy
(Cashier)-Picks up marvel vs capcom 2 puts the price in, hen she picks up the ff vii and opens it up and says uh? THREE DISCS? ima have to charge you $4 a piece!
(ME) Ifuck what are you serious i was thinking bout dat ffvii and the four disc ffviii
(Cashier)-she asks me do you want to talk to a manager
(Me) I say hell yeah
(Cashier) Calls the manager (She comes down after 5mins)
(Manager) Oh deez are what your talking about sorry sir i thought they were diffrent
(ME) Yuh whatever (I Pay the Twelve And :bouncy:)
I sit in the car and realize behind the marvel game theres a soul calibur so i think well i kinda deserved it after that b.s, got home sold ffvii on ebay for 50 wanted to sell ffviii but the fourth disc couldnt be read on sh*t:bomb:[/QUOTE]

So, you bought the games, turned around and eBayed them, then you complain they wanted you to pay more?

Heaven forbid your profits be cut...

This is why I don't bother checking for shit, people like this take it all. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back