The Thrift Store Thread 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
went to a local goodwill today. they had at least a hundred dvd's for NO reason that i'm aware of, and they were all mostly spanish versions (as in, spanish title, spanish writing and description, but of a movie like the shining or the bone collector). out of all of those i managed to find a criterion collection tokyo drifter. marked $6, was 50% off, so i paid 3 and change for a criterion collection movie in great condition. good day.

[quote name='Demolition Man']slidecage should go as well.[/QUOTE]

No, we need someone to make fun of. thakoolkid is just overkill.

@chimpster1313: I got Criterion lazerdisc Chasing Amy at goodwill for $.50. It was in with the records and priced as such. I wish I know what I did with it.

Went by my local Goodwill Store today and picked up a few Playstation games, all complete in "like new" quality:

Chrono Cross $3.99
Marvel Vs Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes $3.99
Metal Gear Solid (Greatest Hits) $3.99

I already own Chrono Cross, MvC, and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (for Gamecube), so I'll probably just turn all these over for a profit. Good stuff.

Found myself by a goodwill that I've only been to once before, so I decided to check it out. Had a decent little haul:

-Monkey Island Madness - $3
-Goldeneye 007 - $2
-Gameshark N64 - $2
-Gameshark GBA(complete) - $4.50

That's well and good, but the other thing I saw there is out of this world. I scoured the store for a while, left to check some other stores, and then came back around 20 minutes later and found monkey island. On my second trip to the checkout, I noticed the guy in front of me had in his possesion a friggin' xbox 360 pro system, complete with controllers, cables etc. The price scribbled in crayon on the side of the box? $10. Was it broken? I dunno, but that's nuts either way. The guy seemed pretty familiar with the lady at the register, I didn't see him or the system on my first go around so maybe it was a backroom employee hookup. Regardless, that's just crazy.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']No, we need someone to make fun of. thakoolkid is just overkill.[/quote]

Okay you win. :lol:

@chimpster1313: I got Criterion lazerdisc Chasing Amy at goodwill for $.50. It was in with the records and priced as such. I wish I know what I did with it.

My SA has a stack of Laserdiscs right now. All of which are very common titles marked at $4.95 each except for the multi disc Jurrasic Park which oddly is $8.95 - which mind you is only multidisc because they spread the movie out for better picture quality. Oddly they sell DVDs for $2.95.... something with this picture doesn't seem right to me. :lol:

[quote name='eastshore4']Found myself by a goodwill that I've only been to once before, so I decided to check it out. Had a decent little haul:

-Monkey Island Madness - $3
-Goldeneye 007 - $2
-Gameshark N64 - $2
-Gameshark GBA(complete) - $4.50

That's well and good, but the other thing I saw there is out of this world. I scoured the store for a while, left to check some other stores, and then came back around 20 minutes later and found monkey island. On my second trip to the checkout, I noticed the guy in front of me had in his possesion a friggin' xbox 360 pro system, complete with controllers, cables etc. The price scribbled in crayon on the side of the box? $10. Was it broken? I dunno, but that's nuts either way. The guy seemed pretty familiar with the lady at the register, I didn't see him or the system on my first go around so maybe it was a backroom employee hookup. Regardless, that's just crazy.[/QUOTE]

I think the local SA stores do that, since I've RARELY found ANYTHING good.

Dropped by some thrifts this weekend. Nabbed for $2.92 each:

FF VII (GH)
FF VIII (GH)
:gc: DDR Mario Mix (game only)

And non game related, I grabbed a copy of Doyle Brunson's Super System for 50 cents.

Here is my pick up within 3 weeks:
Gaming related
FF 7 - 7.99 (too much for that game while other ps1 are 3.99)
ps2 with network adapter - 39.99
dreamcast with all cords and controller - 19.99
gameshark gba - 5.99
bishodo blade - 3.99
Gameboy - 6.99

Non-gaming related
3 x uggs boots - 4.99
Minnetonka slippers - 2.00
Microsoft office 2k3 - 9.99
Kobe shoes - 7.50
2 x Jordan 13 - 6.99
Zboard keyboard - 5.99
Paul frank slippers - 2.00

[quote name='yoyo1316']Here is my pick up within 3 weeks:
Gaming related

Kobe shoes - 7.50
2 x Jordan 13 - 6.99
[/QUOTE]

Nice pickup on the 13s. What condition were they in? As for the Kobe's where they Nike or Adidas?

Hit two thrift stores yesterday and picked up
DSC03130.jpg

Revenge of Shinobi - $3.00
Legacy of the Wizard - $2.00
Widget - $2.00

[quote name='GoAztecs']Nice pickup on the 13s. What condition were they in? As for the Kobe's where they Nike or Adidas?

One of the 13s was pretty beat but I'm going to restore the shoe conditions. The other one is pretty much brand new, too bad it wasn't my size so I gave it to my GF.

The Kobe was Nike 2k4, just going to be used for outdoors

Didn't realize this was really a noteworthy pick-up until I looked it up on ebay, haha. I originally just bought this because I hadn't seen it in a long time and I remembered Skullymonkeys for the PS1 (which I also recently acquired), so I just decided to grab it. For $3 I got:

I'll probably resell it down the line.

Got a chance to go to a thrift store. They had a few Genesis games scattered around but nothing interesting. Some were old rentals and had the store's label on the cartridge label. They had a Genesis controller for $3 which I almost bought but it was in poor condition. I did pick up a 6ft AV cable for $2 which works great with my NES.

Snagged some decent deals at a local thrift store:
$2 Sonic Adventure (DC)
$2 Crazy Taxi (DC)
$2 Soul Calibur (DC) that was by far the best deal in the lot :D

Got some nice deals at a couple thrift stores today:

PS2 Logitech Cordless Action Controller - 1.50
Playstation 1, no cables or controllers (works) - 2.00
ASCIIware arcade joystick for the PS1 - 3.50
CIB - Alladin for SNES - 1.50
CIB - Addams Family: Pugsleys Scavenger Hunt 1.50
The Neverhood - 1.50

Went to the thrift store a few days ago, and I'm pretty convinced that it's dried up. They had the same Genesis sports titles they've had for a year, along with Genesis Ms. Pac-Man, an NES adventure game, and assorted PS1 sports games, all for $4.99. No one, certainly not me, is going to buy them for these prices. I'll still keep checking there, just in case, but I'm pretty sure it's dead.

Genesis Samurai Shodown, ps1 Die Hard Trilogy, and Metal Slug Anthology for ps2, all complete for $10 total.

Well I stopped by my Goodwill on my way to Target to pick up Wii Sports Resort (great game by the way) and 40% off games today but all there was was the same sports games for nes and genesis that have been there for 2 weeks. I just picked up 2 boxes of these Magic Erasers which are pretty good at getting off sharpie or sticky stuff that I find on alot of the games I get from there, those were $1.03 apiece. My sister and cousin were with me, they said they didnt find anything so we get to the car and my sister says "I got this for you" and she hands me a Gamegear with Sonic The Hedgehog in it. Of course being a CAG I didnt care that she took it and was like "WOW arent you the sneaky theif". Its got both the battery covers and the contrast and screen are still pretty good. The audio is about done Ill need to get a new capacitor to fix it. Found the $8 writen on it probably wouldve paid that but OH WELL. At least I have a GG again that I can put in my GG packaging that ive had in my closet for a year from my broken GG

[quote name='allyourblood']she stole it? pathetic.

do the right thing, bring it back and pay for it.[/QUOTE]

This, being a CAG is one thing, but stealing from Goodwill? Come on.

"stealing from Goodwill"- sure i guess you could call it stealing in a way but Goodwill didnt pay anything for that Gamegear or most of the stuff in the store. im pretty sure the only other person who buys the game stuff from there is the guy who works in back and keeps all the good stuff. i seriously only find stuff when hes off.

[quote name='juangrande386']"stealing from Goodwill"- sure i guess you could call it stealing in a way but Goodwill didnt pay anything for that Gamegear or most of the stuff in the store. im pretty sure the only other person who buys the game stuff from there is the guy who works in back and keeps all the good stuff. i seriously only find stuff when hes off.[/QUOTE]

okay, but that doesn't change the fact that you're in possession of something you know is stolen. it doesn't matter that Goodwill paid for it; once they receive it, legally they assume ownership. and unlike a lot of stores, Goodwill is in the business of employing people who might not otherwise be able to work, so you're really stealing from those who would benefit the most.

you're not even apologetic. way to go.

[quote name='juangrande386']"stealing from Goodwill"- sure i guess you could call it stealing in a way but Goodwill didnt pay anything for that Gamegear or most of the stuff in the store. im pretty sure the only other person who buys the game stuff from there is the guy who works in back and keeps all the good stuff. i seriously only find stuff when hes off.[/QUOTE]

pathetic is right...take it back or go away...

lol...brags about it too...piece of work...:roll:

Seriously. Just take it back, go "Hey, my dumbass sister took this from you. I do want it, and I'd like to pay for it."

Goodwill employees are not allowed to shop at the store, so I do not know how an employee can be keeping all the good stuff.

"Being a CAG, I didn't care [that she stole]."

Wow dude.

[quote name='juangrande386']Well I stopped by my Goodwill on my way to Target to pick up Wii Sports Resort (great game by the way) and 40% off games today but all there was was the same sports games for nes and genesis that have been there for 2 weeks. I just picked up 2 boxes of these Magic Erasers which are pretty good at getting off sharpie or sticky stuff that I find on alot of the games I get from there, those were $1.03 apiece. My sister and cousin were with me, they said they didnt find anything so we get to the car and my sister says "I got this for you" and she hands me a Gamegear with Sonic The Hedgehog in it. Of course being a CAG I didnt care that she took it and was like "WOW arent you the sneaky theif". Its got both the battery covers and the contrast and screen are still pretty good. The audio is about done Ill need to get a new capacitor to fix it. Found the $8 writen on it probably wouldve paid that but OH WELL. At least I have a GG again that I can put in my GG packaging that ive had in my closet for a year from my broken GG[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like everyone said, this isn't being a CAG, this is being an asshole. Stealing is one thing, but it's goodwill, fer chrissakes. Go back and pay for it.

If you're too coy to go back and tell them the truth, then take $8 and drop it behind the counter. But I think you owe it to them to work up the sack to tell the truth. And don't bring your thieving ass back here until you do.

Like others have said, do the right thing and pay for it (and lecture your sister while you're at it, unless of course your family promotes stealing). It's Goodwill for fuck's sake, AND IT'S ONLY $8!

it's morally wrong!!!bring it back and pay for it...how can you wake up in the moring knowing you stole something?

and yes it's technically YOU!

Definitely not a CheapAssGamer, but instead just an Ass. You owe Goodwill $8 for actually contibuting to theft. You owe it to your sister to explain to her why what she did is wrong.

And you should stop calling yourself a CAG. You bring down the community of gamers by your pisspoor judgment; you should do us all a favor and not publicize your lack of moral compass.

WOW I didnt realize how crazy that was gonna get. You'd have to actually go to this Goodwill to see where im coming from. There arent any old people or handicapped people working there, most of the chicks seem to act like theyre actually to good to be working there and just yack it up even while they ring stuff up. They let employees get stuff on breaks. Next time im in there Ill leave some money in the box alright. As far as talking to my sister id rather see her get caught so me and my other sister can have a good laugh.

[quote name='juangrande386']WOW I didnt realize how crazy that was gonna get. You'd have to actually go to this Goodwill to see where im coming from. There arent any old people or handicapped people working there, most of the chicks seem to act like theyre actually to good to be working there and just yack it up even while they ring stuff up. They let employees get stuff on breaks. Next time im in there Ill leave some money in the box alright. As far as talking to my sister id rather see her get caught so me and my other sister can have a good laugh.[/QUOTE]

Stealing is stealing. Don't try to justify it.

[quote name='juangrande386']WOW I didnt realize how crazy that was gonna get. You'd have to actually go to this Goodwill to see where im coming from. There arent any old people or handicapped people working there, most of the chicks seem to act like theyre actually to good to be working there and just yack it up even while they ring stuff up. They let employees get stuff on breaks. Next time im in there Ill leave some money in the box alright. As far as talking to my sister id rather see her get caught so me and my other sister can have a good laugh.[/QUOTE]

you keep justifying how much of an idiot you are...
...change your persona, grow up, and go pay for it...
Damn , your friends/family most likely never know when/if you are telling the truth...with all the bs you throw around... and now your sis will be just like ya...sad, very sad...

No. How about you go and pay the $8 plus tax for the item your sister stole. Theft is theft no matter how you try to justify it. Its just plain wrong.

also, try to stop huffing gas at some point.

[quote name='icedrake523']Stealing is stealing. Don't try to justify it.[/QUOTE]

This. You're just making yourself look worse by trying to justify it.

You stole from a charity. Not something to be proud of, not something you can justify. EVER. Go pay for it. Better yet, give it back so someone more deserving can buy it.

Alright all you good saints on this site can relax, I ballsed up, took it back, and the dude who Im kinda cool with said "dont worry about it man you buy enough sh** i wont tell anyone just tell your sister she cant come in anymore or i will have to tell someone." I put $10 in the donation box as well.

[quote name='juangrande386']Well I stopped by my Goodwill on my way to Target to pick up Wii Sports Resort (great game by the way) and 40% off games today but all there was was the same sports games for nes and genesis that have been there for 2 weeks. I just picked up 2 boxes of these Magic Erasers which are pretty good at getting off sharpie or sticky stuff that I find on alot of the games I get from there, those were $1.03 apiece. My sister and cousin were with me, they said they didnt find anything so we get to the car and my sister says "I got this for you" and she hands me a Gamegear with Sonic The Hedgehog in it. Of course being a CAG I didnt care that she took it and was like "WOW arent you the sneaky theif". Its got both the battery covers and the contrast and screen are still pretty good. The audio is about done Ill need to get a new capacitor to fix it. Found the $8 writen on it probably wouldve paid that but OH WELL. At least I have a GG again that I can put in my GG packaging that ive had in my closet for a year from my broken GG[/QUOTE]
picture.php

[quote name='juangrande386']Alright all you good saints on this site can relax, I ballsed up, took it back, and the dude who Im kinda cool with said "dont worry about it man you buy enough sh** i wont tell anyone just tell your sister she cant come in anymore or i will have to tell someone." I put $10 in the donation box as well.[/QUOTE]

The skeptic in me says you didn't actually do this, but whatever. I'm willing to just drop it.

[quote name='juangrande386']Alright all you good saints on this site can relax, I ballsed up, took it back, and the dude who Im kinda cool with said "dont worry about it man you buy enough sh** i wont tell anyone just tell your sister she cant come in anymore or i will have to tell someone." I put $10 in the donation box as well.[/QUOTE]i call bullshit.

a bit ot but goodwill is not a non profit, in arizona nonprofit organizations don't have to charge tax (value village and a few local thrifts don't) but goodwill does.

and even if they aren't, that doesn't justify stealing, its still wrong to steal from wal mart even though they are a for profit and the employees are assholes

so in conclusion, gtfo of cag asshole

wow i took it back and i left a donation, i guess i cant please everyone oh well. as far as "gtfo of cag asshole" im not going anywhere im still gonna post i couldnt care any less if you like it or not

it makes no sense that you brought it back and gave them $10, instead of just paying the $8 for it. this is the internet, and by default, people generally won't take you at your word. now that you've shown a pretty obvious lack of character, they definitely won't.

you're a liar, that's fine. stay here and post all you want. just quit trying to get anyone to believe you. you're not even good at it.

Lets get this thread back on track.

As I've said, I'm pretty sure that the nearest thrift store is dead, but the one two towns over isn't. Their prices are pretty terrible, though, so I try to go when they have %50 off sales. Luckily, they seem to have one every other week.

They keep their games behind the counter, so it wards off theft, but it also wards off sales. They never seem to sell any of their games, save for a few CIB Atari games. They were nothing special, though, and they wanted $7 for them. Anyway, the problem with them keeping the games back there is I always need to ask to see them. It's just a pain in the ass for me and the employee, but it can't be helped.

They had the usual metric ton of sports games. The only games I found that were worth picking up were NES Maniac Mansion and GB Nemesis. I passed on Maniac Mansion, as I already have a copy, but I picked up Nemesis, because I thought it looked like Gradius. Turns out I was right. It's actually a Gradius game! It was marked $5, but it was $2.50 on sale, so I snatched it up all quick-like.

Unfortunately, that was my only game pick up there. I got a few other things, though

:gba: Nemesis - $2.50
:dvd: Beastie Boys - Awesome: I fuckin' Shot That! - $1
CD: Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star - $.50
Cassette: Elvis Costello - Trust - $.25

The cassette is for my car. I search for cool cassettes everytime I go into Goodwill, and I always come out with something. Last few trips I got albums by The Who, Rush, XTC, Prince, and a ton more.

I managed to snag Soul Calibur and Evolution for the Dreamcast(both complete) for $3 a piece at my local Goodwill. Also bought NHL '99 for the PS1(complete) and CardCaptor Sakura: The TV Series DVD disc 1(disc-only) for $1.50 a piece. The CCS DVD appears to be a region-free import.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back