The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Art Book Pre-Order Thread
I am totally ripping off Ionotropic's CE Guide Thread's Wiki format. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Alien: Isolation, The Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 7, 2014)
Publisher: Titan Books
Page Count: 176
Amazon $26.56

Assassin's Creed Unity: Abstergo Entertainment: Employee Handbook

Author: Ubisoft (November 4, 2014)
Publisher: Insight Editions
Page Count: 152
Amazon $28.46

Batman: Arkham Trilogy, The Art of

Author: Rocksteady Studios (April 14, 2015)
Publisher: Abrams
Page Count: 320
Amazon $27.51

Book of Life, The Art of

Author: Jorge Gutierrez and Guillermo del Toro (September 30, 2014)
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
Page Count: 184
Amazon $24.91

Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works

Author: Keiji Inufane, Tatsuya Yoshikawa, Capcom (September 9, 2014)
Publisher: Udon Entertainment
Page Count: 192
Amazon $28.06

Destiny, The Art of

Author: Bungie (December 16, 2014)
Page Count: 160
Amazon $32.10 ($45.00 MSRP)

Destiny: The Poster Collection

Author: Insight Editions (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 40
Amazon $18.62 ($24.99 MSRP)

Devil May Cry: A Divine Comedy

Author: Medhi El Kanafi / Nicolas Courcier (July 22, 2014)
Publisher: Les Edition Pix'N Love
Amazon $37.04

Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives

Author: Bethesda Games (November 25, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Art of
Author: Bioware (October 7, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age Inquisition: Prima Official Inquisitor Edition

Author: Bungie (November 18, 2014)
Publisher: Prima
Page Count: 368
Amazon $107.99 ($119.99 MSRP)

Evil Within, The Art of
Author: Bethesda Games (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

5th Cell, The Art of
Author: Edison Yan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 168
Amazon $29.99

Gran Turismo 5, Art of

Author: Daniel Wade (November 11, 2014)
Publisher: Ballistic Publishing
Page Count: 256
Amazon $40.95
51eTmiAUyYL._SS500_.jpg

Naughty Dog, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (October 14, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Resident Evil 6 Artworks

Author: Capcom (October 7, 2014)
Page Count: 272
Amazon $31.20

SF25: The Art of Street Fighter

Author: Capcom (August 12, 2014)
Page Count: 448
Amazon $40.64

UDON's Art of Capcom: Complete Edition

Author: Alvin Lee, Arnold Tsang, Jeffrey Chamba Cruz, Joe Ng, and Omar Dogan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 600!
Amazon $53.23

Uncharted Trilogy, The Art of the

Author: Naughty Dog (April 28, 2015)
Page Count: 240
Amazon $30.00

Witcher, The World of

Author: CD Projekt Red (March 17, 2015)
Amazon $27.10
============================
Previously Released Art Book Archive
============================

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Previously Released]

Assassin's Creed III, Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 144
Amazon $19.77
Special Features: Hardcover

Atelier: Artworks of Arland

Author: Mel Kishida, Gust (May 5, 2013)
Amazon $28.11

Bayonetta: Eyes of

Author: Sega (July 11, 2013)
Page Count: 224
Amazon $31.49
Special Features: DVD

Bioshock Infinite: Art of

Author: Ken Levine (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $23.52

Blizzard, Art of

Author: Nick Carpenter, Sam Didier, Chris Metzen (December 25, 2012)
Page Count: 352
Amazon $47.25

Borderlands 2, Art of

Author: BradyGames (November 5, 2012)
Page Count: 208
Amazon $25.00

Darksiders II, Art of

Author: Joe Madureira, THQ (November 13, 2012)
Page Count: 200
Amazon $24.99

Dead Space: Art Of (Clamshell Edition) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Page Count: 224 (192 Normal + 32 Exclusive)
Limited Time You Get A Chrome Plated Marker Pendant As A Bonus (dead)
EA Store $65.00

Dead Space: Art of (Regular) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Amazon $23.07

Devil Survivor: Official Material Collection (June 11, 2013)

Amazon $26.57

Eve: Source

Author: CCP Games (March 18, 2014)
Amazon $29.22
Final Fantasy, The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 800
Book Depository (US) $104.99
Special Features: Hardcover, Boxed Set

Final Fantasy (Slipcase Edition), The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (July 2, 2013)
Page Count: 576
Amazon $56.69
Special Features: Hardcover, Slipcase Edition

Growlanser Art Works
Author: Satoshi Urushihara (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $24.99

Halo 4, Awakening: Art of

Author: Paul Davies (November 6, 2012)
Amazon $23.07

Heroes and Heroines: Japanese Video Game + Animation Illustration

Editor: Yoshiyuki Oba (October 2, 2012)
Publisher: PIE International
Amazon $16.74

Kingdom Hearts, The Artwork of

Author: Shiro Amano (October 29, 2013)
Publisher: Yen Press
Amazon $21.16

The Last of Us, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (July 16, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.03

Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia

Author: Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, Akira Himekawa (January 29, 2013)
Amazon $20.99

Mario Goodies Collection
Author: Naughty Dog Studios (May 28, 2014)
Publisher: Les Editions Pix'N Love
Amazon $26.88

Remember Me, The Art of

Author: Various (May 28, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.39

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes: Official Complete Works

Author: Capcom (November 6, 2012)
Page Count: 152
Amazon $24.99

Shining Hearts: Collection of Visual Materials

Author: Tony Taka, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Amazon $24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog, History of

Author: Marc Petronille, William Audureau, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Page Count: 300
Amazon $23.09

Takehito Harada Art Works

Author: Takehito Harada (April 9, 2013)
Amazon $24.99
Features:
All four Disgaea titles, as well as Prinny 1 & 2, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave

Tomb Raider: Art of Survival

Author: BradyGames (March 18, 2013)
Publisher: BradyGames
Amazon $26

Transformers, Art of Fall of Cybertron

Author: Mark Bellomo (October 23, 2012)
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Amazon $23.09

Valkyria Chronicles 3: Complete Artworks

Author: Raita Honjou (March 26, 2013)
Amazon $29.69

[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Possibly Cancelled?]

Assassin's Creed: Art ( R )evolution

Editor: Debora Ferrari (October 2, 2012)
Amazon $19.46

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (October 15, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

League of Legends, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (July 16, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

Portal 2, Art of (currently MIA)

Author: Andy McVittie (November 13, 2012)
Amazon $23.09
[URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N"]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N[/url]"][/url]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457""]B&N[/url][/URL]$23.12

Twisted Metal, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (May 14, 2013)
Amazon $40.95
[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yay, another book I recently imported getting localized. And the US edition's MSRP is cheaper for a change -_- Wonder if it will have the embossed cover that the JP edition has.

Comic-Con just started, and this isn't on Dark Horse's website yet, so the listing is probably brand new.
It's been up for at least a month now.

Udon video game book/artbook announcements from SDCC:

- Street Fighter #100 project (not entirely sure what this is)
- Monster Hunter 3 Illustrations
- Udon's Art of CAPCOM 3
- How to Make CAPCOM Fighting Characters
- Street Fighter Memorial Archive: Beyond the World
- Street Fighter: World Warrior Encyclopedia - Arcade Edition
- Street Fighter: Swimsuit Special Collection
- Mega Man: Robot Masters Field Guide Updated Edition

Udon video game book/artbook announcements from SDCC:

- Monster Hunter 3 Illustrations
- Udon's Art of CAPCOM 3
- Street Fighter: World Warrior Encyclopedia - Arcade Edition
- Street Fighter: Swimsuit Special Collection - buying 3 copies
- Mega Man: Robot Masters Field Guide Updated Edition
quite a few good new books, definitely picking all of these up

PSA: The SNES Anthology from Geeks-Line is now ready to ship to those interested in Europe, as other places aren't due to get delivery until September. https://www.geeksline-publishing.com/our-books/30-super-nintendo-ultimate-edition-9791093752488.html

In the past, they have shipped their books to the states by boat, then distributed from here, but I'm sure they may ship direct to someone if their willing to pay what is going to be rather expensive from the EU. I got my copy through KS, so I have no choice but to wait, as I wouldn't pay the higher shipping unless it was the only option. Sucks I have to wait a few extra months, but it is what it is I suppose. 

PSA: The SNES Anthology from Geeks-Line is now ready to ship to those interested in Europe, as other places aren't due to get delivery until September. https://www.geeksline-publishing.com/our-books/30-super-nintendo-ultimate-edition-9791093752488.html

In the past, they have shipped their books to the states by boat, then distributed from here, but I'm sure they may ship direct to someone if their willing to pay what is going to be rather expensive from the EU. I got my copy through KS, so I have no choice but to wait, as I wouldn't pay the higher shipping unless it was the only option. Sucks I have to wait a few extra months, but it is what it is I suppose.
Well I've already waited a long time for this, so a few more months are not going to kill me. Definitely looking forward to digging into it when it arrives. In the meantime, I think the SNES Omnibus is a good set of books (Vol. 1 and 2) to keep you busy while waiting.

Not an artbook, but since Third Edition books have been discussed here before:

The Works of Fumito Ueda is currently $20.69 on AMZ (only 18 left as of this posting):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/2377840361/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Picked one up myself, this will be my first third edition book. I love Fumito's work, so this will actually get some use and reading through.
What is this book? I'm having a hard time understanding the contents.

What is this book? I'm having a hard time understanding the contents.
It's text heavy book about the creator, the games, their stories, and impact on gaming culture afaik.

chrislaustin would probably be the better person to answer this as I think he's mentioned he actually has some other third edition books

They only sell through their own storefront, right?
Yeah, normally, but they do offer stuff through Kickstarter, as well as Amazon from time to time, but I'm never sure how Amazon really works for them. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bitmap+books&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I've seen them state in the past certain special books won't be offered(and that some listings are bogus), and maybe that's the case, but I have seen their books offered there more than once. The amounts and specifics I can't speak to, as I never paid much attention, as I always order from them direct(creators always get more funds that way). Ordering directly from Bitmap is worth it for the customer service alone, which is about the best I've gotten from any place(international or domestic).

For those of you who may not be able to tell by the reviews, but this book is AMAZING! And is probably one of the few books out there worth it at full cost, so having it at a great discount is just icing on the cake, GO, GO, GO!!! LOL

Got a request to accept delay on the NES Encyclopedia that I pre-ordered from Amazon a while back. Now got an update that says August 26th delivery. Amazon now says 1-2 month delivery, but third party sellers are ready to ship.

https://www.amazon.com/NES-Encyclopaedia-Released-Nintendo-Entertainment/dp/1526737795
Yeah, I got the same message, and I approved the delay, as I've been waiting on this one, as it looks cool. It was delayed originally, and it was due to reach the states in late July I believe, so other sellers having it, shows it arrived as planned. No telling what Amazon's hold up is, as maybe their order was larger, so maybe coming by cheaper slower options? After seeing some of the content awhile back, this is actually one of my most anticipated books of the year, so this delay for sure sucks!

Yeah, I got the same message, and I approved the delay, as I've been waiting on this one, as it looks cool. It was delayed originally, and it was due to reach the states in late July I believe, so other sellers having it, shows it arrived as planned. No telling what Amazon's hold up is, as maybe their order was larger, so maybe coming by cheaper slower options? After seeing some of the content awhile back, this is actually one of my most anticipated books of the year, so this delay for sure sucks!
Hmmmm... spend an extra $2.60 and get it in two weeks or wait for Amazon and get it in 1-2 months. I might just order it from a third party seller.

I'm glad that the art of Borderlands 3 is hardcover. I'm really over huge paperback art books. They are a bitch to get mint, and they get beat up way too easily. 

I'm glad that the art of Borderlands 3 is hardcover. I'm really over huge paperback art books. They are a bitch to get mint, and they get beat up way too easily.
I actually get my books in better shape more often when they are softcover over my hardcover book orders, go figure uh? LOL

Often times I think it's because they are smaller and lighter, so less damage when they are slamming around within the mailer, box, etc. I also have an Amazon distro hub in town, so often my books come direct, and the same rules apply. I would say I get HC arriving damaged probably about 90-95% of the time, while the SC arrived damaged maybe about 50-60% of the time.

Now the uber expensive Dark Horse HC arrive in mint condition, as those come in there own special box, so even when that gets smashed or dented, it protects the book within(and that box, is shipped within a box). But in regards to my regular HC books, they almost always arrive damaged, and then some.

I got into the habit of either ordering two, with the goal of having them ship separately, or asking for a replacement. I keep the better one and return the other to Kohl's dropoff. Since I started doing this, they have been putting better packaging on my artbook orders.

I actually get my books in better shape more often when they are softcover over my hardcover book orders, go figure uh? LOL

Often times I think it's because they are smaller and lighter, so less damage when they are slamming around within the mailer, box, etc. I also have an Amazon distro hub in town, so often my books come direct, and the same rules apply. I would say I get HC arriving damaged probably about 90-95% of the time, while the SC arrived damaged maybe about 50-60% of the time.

Now the uber expensive Dark Horse HC arrive in mint condition, as those come in there own special box, so even when that gets smashed or dented, it protects the book within(and that box, is shipped within a box). But in regards to my regular HC books, they almost always arrive damaged, and then some.
Yeah, I get a crazy amount of damaged hardcovers, too, which is super irritating and counter intuitive. Once I've got a mint copy, though, it's significantly easier to use them and keep them that way when they're HC. The softcover ones are always in the danger zone for bent and creased corners; and the books being larger and heavier really only serves to exacerbate that.

I got into the habit of either ordering two, with the goal of having them ship separately, or asking for a replacement. I keep the better one and return the other to Kohl's dropoff. Since I started doing this, they have been putting better packaging on my artbook orders.
Yeah, I've been using that method for as long back as I can remember(I've recommended it here many times over the years), but in recent times I have just stopped ordering 2 books, as it's it's ridiculous I should have to for proper packaging. And since the softcover books arrive in better shape, and often sent in bubble mailers, I figured what's the point? I was getting two HC in a box, but with no padding, so damages still happen, and then I'm dealing with extra items to return, which may become any issue, but not yet.

For HC releases I've actually had the best luck with Book Depository. They have a far higher % success rate than Amazon or B&N for HC Art Books. And the last time one came in that I wasn't happy with, they sent me a replacement without me sending it back, which was pretty sweet. 

Yeah, I've been using that method for as long back as I can remember(I've recommended it here many times over the years), but in recent times I have just stopped ordering 2 books, as it's it's ridiculous I should have to for proper packaging. And since the softcover books arrive in better shape, and often sent in bubble mailers, I figured what's the point? I was getting two HC in a box, but with no padding, so damages still happen, and then I'm dealing with extra items to return, which may become any issue, but not yet.
I hear ya. When I order two HC books I usually wait until the first ships and then order the second one. That way I get two chances at the packing lottery.

Has anyone here ordered artbooks from instocktrades, and if so, what was your experience like? I've seen them mentioned on other forums as a good place to order graphic novels/manga from, and while browsing, noticed that they carry some video game artbooks from publishers like Dark Horse and Udon. Their prices are very good, too.

Has anyone here ordered artbooks from instocktrades, and if so, what was your experience like? I've seen them mentioned on other forums as a good place to order graphic novels/manga from, and while browsing, noticed that they carry some video game artbooks from publishers like Dark Horse and Udon. Their prices are very good, too.
I haven't used them in recent times, as my last order was a few years ago, but they where awesome at the time, no question. Great prices and great packaging to boot, but they do ship kind of slow. After placing my order, I would say it took them about a week to ship it, and then another week plus to arrive(media mail cheap shipping option).

At the time, since their prices where so good, I ordered two of the same item, and customer service contacted me immediately to make sure I hadn't ordered 2 of the same thing by mistake, who does that? Most places could care less, and if you made an error, it would be your dime to return it, if it's allowed at all. So when places do stuff like that, they earn HUGE points in my book, as most places could't be bothered. Now I can't say for sure they still operate this way, but chances are good.

Awhile back their name popped back up in this thread, and everyone spoke the same high praises, so you should be safe, but maybe wait on a few more reports before ordering anything.

Has anyone here ordered artbooks from instocktrades, and if so, what was your experience like? I've seen them mentioned on other forums as a good place to order graphic novels/manga from, and while browsing, noticed that they carry some video game artbooks from publishers like Dark Horse and Udon. Their prices are very good, too.
Yes, they're fantastic. I still make at least one order per month with them, and they pack things so well with polybags and foam that damage to your books is basically impossible. Don't hesitate to use them.

Speaking of damaged books from Amazon, my NES Encyclopedia arrived today....in a bubble mailer.  Sure enough, the bottom right front (and back) covers are damaged and pushed in.  Guess I will see if they will ship me a new one in a box, or at least offer a discount since this is not acceptable for a new product.  Man, Amazon started their business with books, its a shame they treat them so bad now.

The book itself is really quite nice.  I look forward to reading though it eventually.

Speaking of damaged books from Amazon, my NES Encyclopedia arrived today....in a bubble mailer. Sure enough, the bottom right front (and back) covers are damaged and pushed in. Guess I will see if they will ship me a new one in a box, or at least offer a discount since this is not acceptable for a new product. Man, Amazon started their business with books, its a shame they treat them so bad now.

The book itself is really quite nice. I look forward to reading though it eventually.
They may give you a discount credit, but don't even bother to ask about a box, as CS does not talk to shipping, so any promises made there will not be honored by other departments sadly. There's no harm in asking I suppose, as I got an almost $200 order free years ago from a CS supervisor promising me one thing, and having to deliver on another for my damaged order. At this point I've known for years how Amazon does things, so I try my best with tips & tricks when ordering to not have issues, but it no longer works all that often, as they are just shit on so many levels at this point.

Yeah, this order is actually one of my last "2" books ordered ones, as I was unsure at the time how supply would be for this, so I ordered 2 just in case. I may get both damaged, or maybe 1 of the 2 will be OK, it's always a crap shoot with Amazon. Hell, my order hasn't even shipped yet for this book, so I'm not that hopeful for no fuckups, but time will tell.

I saw a video awhile back from the creator, and yeah this book really surprised me, as that was when I actually ordered. I see books like this all the time that do a bare minimum content wise(and production values), but this looks like a top shelf effort, and deserves the support.

Last time I ordered 2 copies, it was the Dark Souls Compendium. Preordered them a week apart. Amazon combined them into a single shipment. The weight was so heavy that the box split open during shipping (not on a seam, but in the middle of the cardboard).

Fortunately the replacements were okay

Well, finally got my shipping notice for the NES Encyclopedia from Amazon yesterday, and is due to arrive on Saturday. So fingers crossed one or both arrive safely, but I'm not holding my breath. LOL

Well, finally got my shipping notice for the NES Encyclopedia from Amazon yesterday, and is due to arrive on Saturday. So fingers crossed one or both arrive safely, but I'm not holding my breath. LOL
Good luck! Hopefully you get one of them in decent shape. Watch them both ship in a jumbo bubble mailer...typical Amazon.

Drum roll please...............Two of the best condition HC I've gotten in a rather long time actually. LOL

So Amazon shipped in a box not much bigger than the books, with a few bubble air packs, and that was that. One book is about perfect, and there is only a small dent at one of the corners on the other. If I had only ordered one and had gotten the damaged corner, it's for sure an acceptable imperfection that I would have kept normally. As I often have to weigh the "decent" item now, to a possible more "damaged" one later. So since I got one in perfect shape, no need to accept a lesser book condition this go around, but that isn't always the case normally.

Depending on the book, I often keep the 2nd more damaged one to gift to my son when it's something he's in to, as he beats stuff up anyway, so a few imperfections go unnoticed by him anyways. After getting him an NES classic he barely used, a book like this would never get touched, so the damaged one here will go back, but it was better than most in the grand scheme of things.

Mine arrived in a bubble mailer with one of the corners very dented. Asked for a replacement, which usually comes in a box with air pillows.

Has anyone purchased the "Dragon Quest Illustrations" art book from Viz that can tell me whether or not it came shrinkwrapped? I ordered a copy from Amazon and it's not sealed. I know that not all art books are shrinkwrapped so I'm just curious. Might return it if it was supposed to be sealed.

Has anyone purchased the "Dragon Quest Illustrations" art book from Viz that can tell me whether or not it came shrinkwrapped? I ordered a copy from Amazon and it's not sealed. I know that not all art books are shrinkwrapped so I'm just curious. Might return it if it was supposed to be sealed.
no

bread's done
Back