The Wii Obscure Facts and FAQ (Version 2.0) *NOW LIVE*

[quote name='icedrake523']Have they made any USB/ethernet adapter that works with the Wii?[/QUOTE]

There are third party solutions, but I don't know if they work very well. The biggest thing to worry about with them is that a new system update can always potentially lock them out. Just to clarify, I've never heard of them being locked out, so you should be ok. You'll find them at Best Buy and Gamestop and the like. Nyko, Datel, and Intec all have one out there.

There is an official one at NoA's online store. $25 plus shipping. It SHOULD be in normal stores as well, and possibly some other online stores, but I didn't see it an Amazon.

A third option is to get an ethernet/wireless bridge adapter, which plug into the ethernet port but then connect wirelessly to a router/network. They tend to work well enough - there's an old one from Linksys that's a B that gets the job done, but I don't have a link offhand.

Found it. I use this one on my 360.

Problem is that it's discontinued, which is why the prices are high for used ones. The point I was making is that there are devices that plug into ethernet ports and then broadcast wirelessly. If you set them to your router, they work great.

'Course, if you're doing this, it sort of implies that you are using a wireless connection, at which point you might as well just use what the Wii already has internally.

I'm simply pointing out other solutions is all. The best thing about a bridge like this is that it is platform agnostic - i.e., you can use it with different systems or laptops or whatever, so long as you physically connect it to each thing. This makes it much more versatile than a console specific adapter.

Woah, when the hell did I ever contribute to this FAQ?
Eh, all right. But anyway, I'm thinking about hitting up that 8GB SD card deal at Fry's Electronics today. But I'm not hip to Wii in 2010. Can it use a 8 GB SD Card?

If you've got System Update 4.0, then yeah - it can use higher capacity cards. 8GB won't be a problem. Or shouldn't anyway.

While I don't think it's worth the $114 Amazon is asking for it, I highly recommend a Buffalo Wireless-G Wi-Fi Gamers Access Point. Its seems Buffalo no longer makes these, but CC used to carry them for around $30 a few years back. I think they are easily worth $50.

It plugs into your wired network and uses the AOSS protocol to create a secure wireless bridge to your Wii, DS, and PS3. It's crazy simple to install, and to use it, u just press the button on top of the Buffalo device at the same time you press the connect to AOSS network in you gaming configuration, and everything connects beautifully.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Gamer...1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1273938024&sr=8-3-fkmr2

Is it possible to test Wii points codes without actually redeeming them?

This is possible on the 360 console, as the code is not used until you "Confirm Download" (only works on 360 console itself, xbox.com automatically redeems codes, there is no confirmation step).

[quote name='donssword']While I don't think it's worth the $114 Amazon is asking for it, I highly recommend a Buffalo Wireless-G Wi-Fi Gamers Access Point. Its seems Buffalo no longer makes these, but CC used to carry them for around $30 a few years back. I think they are easily worth $50.

It plugs into your wired network and uses the AOSS protocol to create a secure wireless bridge to your Wii, DS, and PS3. It's crazy simple to install, and to use it, u just press the button on top of the Buffalo device at the same time you press the connect to AOSS network in you gaming configuration, and everything connects beautifully.

[/QUOTE]
anyway, great suggestion

[quote name='playing mantis']Is it possible to test Wii points codes without actually redeeming them?

This is possible on the 360 console, as the code is not used until you "Confirm Download" (only works on 360 console itself, xbox.com automatically redeems codes, there is no confirmation step).[/QUOTE]

I believe you can. I can check tomorrow morning to confirm this.

Haaaalp please. I registered the wii when it came out on my nintendo account, but my brother is the one who made the account on the wii to download VC stuff and whatever else. It's been over a year since he's logged on to it, and we both forget his account name and he forgets the email address he associated with it (if it had one). I've never used the wii for anything but um... wii sports maybe? I forget, but I haven't a clue how to recover his account name and email addy and then from there, he's going to have to remember his password.

Any help would be appreciated.

Try this:

Wii Shop Channel > Settings and Features > Club Nintendo Membership Settings

This should give you your brother's username.

I have a question .... I used to have a WII with a bunch of VC games downloaded & some unused WII points. Well I never played it sooo I sold it ... aaaaghghhhhh!!! Now I bought another one ... & was wondering how do I go about recovering said VC games & points??? Any thoughts??

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']I have a question .... I used to have a WII with a bunch of VC games downloaded & some unused WII points. Well I never played it sooo I sold it ... aaaaghghhhhh!!! Now I bought another one ... & was wondering how do I go about recovering said VC games & points??? Any thoughts??[/QUOTE]

It is critical that you link you Wii to your Nintendo Club account for all your purchases--the challenge/bad side to this is that you MUST do this before you buy anything.

I have also read where people were able to get Nintendo to do this by sending in their console. Check with Customer Service, be polite and see what you can make happen. If you console is modded, even soft modded, they may not help you.

Looking to get component cables. Read the OP but still wondering if I should attempt to get official component or if anyone can recommend 3rd party that really are as good as the official in quality. And where I would find them for a good price. Amazon is asking $36 for official. Or maybe the WiiU uses the same cables?

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm fairly certain WiiU is HDMI only.[/QUOTE]
Kotaku just released some of the technical specs of the Wii-U:
http://kotaku.com/5942980/whats-inside-the-wii-u-lets-get-technical

"Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV."

At least this gives people some options.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='advanced']Is there any difference between a Wii Remote Plus and a Wii Remote with Motion Plus Adapater?[/QUOTE]
AFAIK, the Wii / Wii U system doesn't see a difference, however I wouldn't want to deal with the extra bulk with the Motion Plus adapter if I had a choice.

[quote name='advanced']Is there any difference between a Wii Remote Plus and a Wii Remote with Motion Plus Adapater?[/QUOTE]

Nope--they are the same tech. Sometimes the Adapter can get a little loose in play, but the technical implementation is the same.

I do recommend you only buy the 1st party Nintendo Motion Plus Adapters. I have tried some 3rd party ones, and they all suck. If you're careful, you can find decent 3rd party Wiimotes (Nyko), but not good adapters.

Our Wii is starting to give the dreaded "system files are corrupted" message. Last night it put that up 4 times, and then the 5th time it powered up. It *might* have powered up because I removed the SD card, but perhaps that was just coincidence. I guess I need to send it in for repair?

Looking to get component cables. Read the OP but still wondering if I should attempt to get official component or if anyone can recommend 3rd party that really are as good as the official in quality. And where I would find them for a good price. Amazon is asking $36 for official.

[quote name='crunchewy']Our Wii is starting to give the dreaded "system files are corrupted" message. Last night it put that up 4 times, and then the 5th time it powered up. It *might* have powered up because I removed the SD card, but perhaps that was just coincidence. I guess I need to send it in for repair?[/QUOTE]

Did you try putting the SD card in again and then power it on a few times?

Sorry for a noob question, I'm looking into buying my first Wii for the kids, just wondering what are the differences between the old (vertical) and the new (horizontal) one, other than the new one does not support GC games, and I'm guessing the new one can also not use GC controllers right? Are the Wii parts of the system identical or does the new one have better components? i.e. Does the new one output to HDMI?

Thanks!!

[quote name='Asgardian']Sorry for a noob question, I'm looking into buying my first Wii for the kids, just wondering what are the differences between the old (vertical) and the new (horizontal) one, other than the new one does not support GC games, and I'm guessing the new one can also not use GC controllers right? Are the Wii parts of the system identical or does the new one have better components? i.e. Does the new one output to HDMI?

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

New one does not have GC controller ports so no. Parts of the system probably the same, possibly better, but could also be cheaper components, I don't know for sure but I wouldn't worry about that because the difference would be marginal since it's just the Wii and low level tech and Nintendo systems are usually reliable. Don't know for sure if it outputs to HDMI but I would say with 95% assurance that it does not. HDMI adapters exist for it on Amazon but I know nothing about them.

[quote name='J7.']New one does not have GC controller ports so no. Parts of the system probably the same, possibly better, but could also be cheaper components, I don't know for sure but I wouldn't worry about that because the difference would be marginal since it's just the Wii and low level tech and Nintendo systems are usually reliable. Don't know for sure if it outputs to HDMI but I would say with 95% assurance that it does not. HDMI adapters exist for it on Amazon but I know nothing about them.[/QUOTE]

I just picked up an HDMI adapter (on amazon) and it works great. Just plug and go

[quote name='usickenme']I just picked up an HDMI adapter (on amazon) and it works great. Just plug and go[/QUOTE]

Did it improve the image quality significantly compared to what other kinds of cables you used or is it more for convenience? I'm wondering if I should get component Wii cables or an HDMI adapter myself.

I tried an HDMI adapter a while ago with the Wii. It didn't improve the quality over the component cables I'm using. It also gave everything a slightly blue tint/hue. I had honestly gotten it because I wanted to add my Wii to my HDMI switcher, but the switcher couldn't recognize it unless I did something strange. I say that because I don't remember exactly what I had to do to get it to work through the switch; I think I had to turn on my 360 as well and sort of fool the switch into passing the Wii's signal. Even when I had tried to manually select the Wii with the switch, it just wouldn't work.

I returned it and decided I'd just wait until the Wii U. So I'd personally say to just stick with the component cables unless you have a really significant reason for needing HDMI on the Wii.

I could probably have tried other HDMI adapters for the Wii, but the experience I had with this one (it was an HDMIKey) turned me off from pursuing it further. In other words, maybe other people have had more luck than me.

For the "White System $89 at Walmart" for black friday, I'm guessing that does not come with any games, right? Or does all wii consoles comes with wii sports (and/or wii resort)?

Thanks!

EDIT: More questions, regarding motion plus.
(1) Are there many games that would only function with a remote with motion plus?
(2) Anyone use these: Komodo Nunchuk & Remote are they okay? The price certainly beats $60 for official ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']I have an official set, but the ones you can get from Monoprice work just as well.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I got some component cables now. Is there an issue where some VC games won't work with component cables? I read some have problems but I don't know if it's just in Europe. Also read something about pressing Z+A+2 button simultaneously. Not sure if I should avoid some VC games or if Nintendo released new versions without the problem.

[quote name='Asgardian']For the "White System $89 at Walmart" for black friday, I'm guessing that does not come with any games, right? Or does all wii consoles comes with wii sports (and/or wii resort)?

Thanks!

EDIT: More questions, regarding motion plus.
(1) Are there many games that would only function with a remote with motion plus?
(2) Anyone use these: Komodo Nunchuk & Remote are they okay? The price certainly beats $60 for official ones...[/QUOTE]

I don't think the $89 Walmart deal includes any games. 1) I don't think there are a lot of motion plus only games. 2) Don't know. Generally 3rd party controllers for any system should be avoided unless they're high end. Here's some Amazon Komodo reviews http://www.amazon.com/KMD-Wii-Komod...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

[quote name='J7.']Thank you, I got some component cables now. Is there an issue where some VC games won't work with component cables? I read some have problems but I don't know if it's just in Europe. Also read something about pressing Z+A+2 button simultaneously. Not sure if I should avoid some VC games or if Nintendo released new versions without the problem.
[/QUOTE]

I've yet to have a problem with any VC games. I do recall that there were some people having an issue where they'd take their system from a widescreen HDTV to a SDTV and experiencing some problems with the output, but that's sort of a different situation.

FWIW, here's some info I have learned first hand regarding wii controllers.

For the wii remote, I ended up buying 3X FlingSmash bundle from TrU with Groupon, about $15 each.

For the Nunchuk, I used my $10 off coupons from RadioShack and got 3X Kama wireless Nunchuk free (clearance at $9.57 each), I couldn't find the item on radioshack.com anymore, but some stores still have it, some of them had it in the back. I've seen two different packaging, one with only a plastic shell and one with an outer box, both worked fine, and near identical.

Here's a amazon link.

I've played the wii sport boxing game both with the official wired Nunchuk and the wireless Nunchuk. There might be occasional delays, but honestly I cannot really tell because the official wired Nunchuk also had misinput (or very possibly I simply suck at the game). However, IMHO, the wireless kama being wireless offers much more freedom, had I not got a wired official Nunchuk with my wii, I'd have oped for another wireless one.

I've also tested the wii sports archery game with the kama wireless, worked perfectly.

I've read some review on amazon that they could not get more than one kama wireless to sync, that is simply not true. I have personally tested playing 2-player boxing game with two wireless Nunchuks synced to two remotes, had no problems at all.

One minor complain is that the plug that goes into the wii remote is a little wider on one side than the official one and you need to move the silicon cover to fully plug the thing into the remote. It's a little annoying but not a big deal, I'm considering to trim the silicon cover a little (no more than 1-2 mm) to compensate.

Lastly, I am a CAG, and instead of forking out $20 for the classic pro controller, I went with the $5 PS2 to Wii Controller Adapter.

I ordered two, typical DX order means I most likely wont receive it until next year... I'll post a review when I get them.

Is there any other Points Card that works for the Wiiware/Virtual Console other than the Wii Points card? Not interested in using a credit card.

I do not believe that there are any other cards that you can use other than the Wii Points card.

That being said, u could pay cash for the card at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us, etc., and not use your credit card.

[quote name='donssword']I do not believe that there are any other cards that you can use other than the Wii Points card.

That being said, u could pay cash for the card at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us, etc., and not use your credit card.[/QUOTE]

Haven't found any in stock any where. Are you sure there is not a Nintendo Points card that replaced the Wii Points?

My Wii is at 480P and can't see anything on my 480i TV. Is there some way to reset the resolution without being able to use a TV?

Actually, there may be another way, is if you remove the BIOS battery from the Wii Console, this should clear the settings and revert back to default.  Follow this guide here to the point of removing the BIOS battery (one of the first things on the list, second step), wait a few seconds (maybe a minute just to be sure all the caps are discharged), and then reinsert the battery.

This should reset the system's clock and other settings, which includes the resolution setting.  Hope this works out for you, just make sure your Wii is unplugged when you do this.

I've also read that just keeping your Wii unplugged for 5 minutes will also reset the settings, but that doesn't seem like it would do anything (that is the purpose of the battery, to retain the settings if it is unplugged).

bread's done
Back