The Wii Obscure Facts and FAQ (Version 2.0) *NOW LIVE*

[quote name='daroga']Why isn't this stickied anymore?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I had to search for this thread. It has a lot of useful info.

[quote name='munch']Good question. I had to search for this thread. It has a lot of useful info.[/quote]
You could've just clicked the sticky which has a link to this thread.

[quote name='munch']Clicked the sticky? What does that mean?[/QUOTE]

Linkin merged ALL the stickies (their links) into one post :roll: The 2 stickies are for the Wii Shop Channel, and a thread with links to the other ones..

Has anyone taken apart a Wii? If so, how difficult was it to do it?

My fan just died and my warranty is out so I was thinking about fixing it myself.

[quote name='fmarxnge']Has anyone taken apart a Wii? If so, how difficult was it to do it?

My fan just died and my warranty is out so I was thinking about fixing it myself.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. I need to figure out when my warranty expires so I can change the case out.

This looks decent:
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8epujddQTc[/MEDIA]

A few quick questions, if I may. I'm thinking about re-buying a Wii but I have a few questions before I make the decision.

1. Will I be able to re-download all the stuff I downloaded with my My Nintendo account? Am I going to now have to pay for the internet channel?

2. Keyboard support...is there any yet?

3. Is the Wii finder widget worth a damn? I really don't want to pay sales tax OR have to patronize a Best Buy or Circuit City to get another Wii.

[quote name='cochesecochese']A few quick questions, if I may. I'm thinking about re-buying a Wii but I have a few questions before I make the decision.

1. Will I be able to re-download all the stuff I downloaded with my My Nintendo account? Am I going to now have to pay for the internet channel?

2. Keyboard support...is there any yet?

3. Is the Wii finder widget worth a damn? I really don't want to pay sales tax OR have to patronize a Best Buy or Circuit City to get another Wii.[/QUOTE]

1. Downloads are tied to the system, despite if you registered/connected a MyNintendo account. So you'll have to pay to get everything again, Internet Channel included.

2. There has been for a while. Can't be anything too fancy, but most USB keyboards should work without issue.

3. No idea.

[quote name='cochesecochese']3. Is the Wii finder widget worth a damn? I really don't want to pay sales tax OR have to patronize a Best Buy or Circuit City to get another Wii.[/QUOTE]

That really just leaves Amazon.com.

[quote name='Strell']1. Downloads are tied to the system, despite if you registered/connected a MyNintendo account. So you'll have to pay to get everything again, Internet Channel included.

2. There has been for a while. Can't be anything too fancy, but most USB keyboards should work without issue.

3. No idea.[/quote]

1. Bummer. Looks like it will just be the essentials (Life as a King and River City Ransom) for now along with the browser.

2. As long as a USB board will work allowing me to type in web addresses I'll be happier than a dog with two dicks.

3. I'm resigned to retail if that's what it will take. I managed to sell of my xbox so I'm ready to snag a Wii right away.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

do the system messages take memory? or is it allocated and they are so tiny it doesn't matter?
and is there a quick way to delete all system messages?

Hey, question. What's wrong with my browser (multiple computers, IE and Firefox, multiple IP connections) that I cannot see page one of this thread?

IT just shows up as a big blank white page.

[quote name='Squashua']Hey, question. What's wrong with my browser (multiple computers, IE and Firefox, multiple IP connections) that I cannot see page one of this thread?

IT just shows up as a big blank white page.[/quote]

Do you have CAG set to view 150 or 200 posts per page? I believe those options cause large threads (like this one) to appear as blank pages. I like 200 posts per page, but had to lower it to 100, to see threads.

Is it possible for a group to play a game with a mix of controllers? Like for Group mode in SSBB, can someone use the Wimote, another use the classic controller, and someone else use a wireless controller?

[quote name='arctic00']Is it possible for a group to play a game with a mix of controllers? Like for Group mode in SSBB, can someone use the Wimote, another use the classic controller, and someone else use a wireless controller?[/quote]

Yep. I prefer a Wavebird, while another friend uses the CC, and two use Wiimote + 'chuks. Works just fine for Brawl.

Of course, it will depend on the game. I'm sure there's some that won't mix controllers.

[quote name='Rig']Yep. I prefer a Wavebird, while another friend uses the CC, and two use Wiimote + 'chuks. Works just fine for Brawl.

Of course, it will depend on the game. I'm sure there's some that won't mix controllers.[/quote]

Thanx for info. It's a big help.

Just got my first HDTV, folks, and I was wondering if I could improve my Wii picture. I'm not noticing any big difference from my old tv as far as quality being worse, but I thought maybe component cables might be nice. Anyone recommend a brand that would do anything? Or do they really do anything for a system like the Wii?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just got my first HDTV, folks, and I was wondering if I could improve my Wii picture. I'm not noticing any big difference from my old tv as far as quality being worse, but I thought maybe component cables might be nice. Anyone recommend a brand that would do anything? Or do they really do anything for a system like the Wii?[/QUOTE]

Getting component cables is the first thing to do. You can get first party ones, but everyone says that any brand will work, and generally you can find cheap ones online.

After using those, you need to set the input to 480p in the TV's own settings. Then you'll need to go into the Wii's settings and set it to widescreen and EDTV in the video options.

This will improve the picture. However, it also makes jaggies much more apparently, since it's going to make lines crisp and clear.

Have noticed a tiny error:

If someone gifts you a game and you try to download it by opening their message, and you get into Wii Shop and try to download it, AND you don't have enough space on it and thus have to go back out and delete stuff to download the game....

For some reason it may not allow you to send the usual "thank you" message to the person in question. Which is really strange since you re-initiate everything from their message.

I'll have to try this again.

Thanks for the info. This thread is incredibly helpful.

Has any progress been made on playing import Wii games? I read the shpeal about improt Gamecube games and I was wondering if anyone had taken steps to go around the region encoding without hardware modding. I want my Tatsunoko v. Capcom. :whistle2:(

Do you have an explanation of the gifting system up? 'Cause that is a rather... irritating process. Especially international gifting.

Grumble grumble.

Nope.

I need to do some serious work on this thing. Maybe this weekend. It's just so difficult to sit down and work on it because it'll literally be a 3-4 hour long process at a time.

We'll see.

I got a good question, one that will stump the hell out of you.

Ok, so my good friend wants to play Wii, but her TV does not have vga inputs (yes I am serious here), just the cable hookup. Is there any RF adapters out there for the Wii, or rf to vga converters out there?

Thanks.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I got a good question, one that will stump the hell out of you.

Ok, so my good friend wants to play Wii, but her TV does not have vga inputs (yes I am serious here), just the cable hookup. Is there any RF adapters out there for the Wii, or rf to vga converters out there?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Well I hope her tv doesn't have VGA inputs, since that's a somewhat advanced feature even for modern ones. So I imagine you mean RCA, which is the standard red/white/yellow composite cable.

But I think we're in a bit of a bind here. From Ninendo's own support page:
Note: The RF Switch and RF Modulator are the same for all three of these systems. There was no RF Switch or Modulator made by Nintendo for the Wii.

I googled around, but it looks like there's no RF cable that plugs into the Wii. Since the Wii (for some stupid reason) is not backwards compatible with existing RF switches (note that the SNES/N64/Gamecube could all use the same RCA and RF switches since they were all the same shape) due to a new port/connection shape, you are somewhat out of luck.

However, as with most electronics, there is a work around - you have to get an RF modulator that basically lets you plug the red/white/yellow cords into it, and then outputs to a coaxial cable, which you can then plug into the TV. Here's even an old thread on here about it.

I can't really recommend a specific RF modulator over others, but you should be able to find one through google without much trouble. Looks like it'll cost around twenty bucks or so (after shipping) to take care of. Here's one on eBay it looks like - it even allows you to plug in multiple devices.

Or you could just tell your friend to get a new TV. :]

[quote name='Strell']Well I hope her tv doesn't have VGA inputs, since that's a somewhat advanced feature even for modern ones. So I imagine you mean RCA, which is the standard red/white/yellow composite cable.

But I think we're in a bit of a bind here. From Ninendo's own support page:

I googled around, but it looks like there's no RF cable that plugs into the Wii. Since the Wii (for some stupid reason) is not backwards compatible with existing RF switches (note that the SNES/N64/Gamecube could all use the same RCA and RF switches since they were all the same shape) due to a new port/connection shape, you are somewhat out of luck.

However, as with most electronics, there is a work around - you have to get an RF modulator that basically lets you plug the red/white/yellow cords into it, and then outputs to a coaxial cable, which you can then plug into the TV. Here's even an old thread on here about it.

I can't really recommend a specific RF modulator over others, but you should be able to find one through google without much trouble. Looks like it'll cost around twenty bucks or so (after shipping) to take care of. Here's one on eBay it looks like - it even allows you to plug in multiple devices.

Or you could just tell your friend to get a new TV. :][/quote]

An even easier solution is just to find an old VCR or DVD player, plug the console into it, and plug it into the TV. Everybody has an old VCR lying around.

[quote name='GuardianE']Has any progress been made on playing import Wii games? I read the shpeal about improt Gamecube games and I was wondering if anyone had taken steps to go around the region encoding without hardware modding. I want my Tatsunoko v. Capcom. :whistle2:([/quote]

You just have to run the Twilight Hack (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Twilight_Hack) and use it to install GeckoOS (I would advise using it to install Homebrew Channel first and using that to install Gecko OS). GeckoOS will play all region games.

Really? Wii hacks don't let you run pirated games (at least unless you count emulation). It's region-free, and homebrew, and nothing else.

Amazing thread. Learned SO much new things about my 2 year old Wii that I only touched 10 times.. I'm starting to become really interested in the Wii.. Thinking bout picking up more games now (Only got 2 atm -__-) . Thanks OP and everyone who contributed to this thread.

Peace!

Is there any way to connect your Wii HD component cables into your blu ray player or your digital cable box instead of directly connecting the cables to your TV. My Wii HD cables are short and need to stay in some media piers that I bought. It would be easier for me to connect them into one of those devices I suggested.

[quote name='DavidSki']Is there any way to connect your Wii HD component cables into your blu ray player or your digital cable box instead of directly connecting the cables to your TV. My Wii HD cables are short and need to stay in some media piers that I bought. It would be easier for me to connect them into one of those devices I suggested.[/QUOTE]

Well... If either of those devices has inputs, certainly. If not...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=3002&seq=1&format=2

I just bought a couple Madcatz Wii Power Docks, which recharge Wii remotes via a USB cable. Has anyone had any experience with these chargers? Also, I heard that you can still charge the Wii remotes via the Wii's USB port even when the Wii is in standby mode. Is that true? I play my Wii in short stints, so I rarely ever have it on for more than a couple of hours, which isn't enough time time to fully charge the battery. If I can still charge the remotes without leaving the Wii on, then that would be great...

Question, sorry if it has been asked, it's 2 AM and I want to go to bed. Anyway anyone know how much Nintendo charges for their Wii repair? My disc drive constantly gives me DRE's now and if not makes every game slow as hell and sounds nasty in there. The Wii's warranty is out of date since it was gotten at launch. I was wondering how much it would cost and if you guys don' know, is there a way I could get a price estimate because I want it fixed.

Thanks

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Question, sorry if it has been asked, it's 2 AM and I want to go to bed. Anyway anyone know how much Nintendo charges for their Wii repair? My disc drive constantly gives me DRE's now and if not makes every game slow as hell and sounds nasty in there. The Wii's warranty is out of date since it was gotten at launch. I was wondering how much it would cost and if you guys don' know, is there a way I could get a price estimate because I want it fixed.

Thanks[/quote]
Same thing happened to me last Christmas. Think it was $40, and they were fast as hell about it.

Im thinking of selling my Wii. If i do is there a way to delete my history/Mii's and any other info i wouldnt want to pass on?

Any thing else i should be aware of before selling my Wii to someone else?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im thinking of selling my Wii. If i do is there a way to delete my history/Mii's and any other info i wouldnt want to pass on?

Any thing else i should be aware of before selling my Wii to someone else?[/QUOTE]

You can format the drive from the options menu. That removes everything from the console that you would have put on.

[quote name='Rig']You can format the drive from the options menu. That removes everything from the console that you would have put on.[/QUOTE]

Even my Virtual console games i bought? Im guessing they are console specific, and wouldnt be able to redownload them if i bought a wii again right? If i sell my wii i want to use my VC games as a way to make more money.

Anyone? Im considering selling my Wii to help me get a PS3. But i want to format the system but DONT want to lose my VC games. So if i save my wii shop channel to my SD card and reformat, and then upload my Wii shop channel would i be able to save my VC games?

I read on nintendo site if i reformat the wii shop channel id lose all my games, and id have to buy each one all over again. I just want to make sure the above method will work to save my VC games so i can use them to get more money.

Hmmm i cant even seem to find a way to save my wii shop channel to my SD card. Can it be done?

Maybe i can sell it without reformatting it? Whats the worst they can do besides read old messages? I didnt really send anyone important information. I tried to buy more points and had to enter a credit card, it didnt save anything from past purchases. I can delete my friends codes and Miis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about SD cards (been out of the wii game for a while now).

Are some games still locked to the system and not able to be transferred like Smash Bros? Can VC games and saved files be directly read off of the SD card yet?

[quote name='seanr1221']
Are some games still locked to the system and not able to be transferred like Smash Bros? Can VC games and saved files be directly read off of the SD card yet?[/QUOTE]

First part: Yes, generally first party games do this. Nintendo still sees it as a copyright issue. Not all of them do, obviously. Smash is the big abuser.

Second part: Yes and no. In short: Largely no, since the solution just copies stuff back to system memory, and you need open blocks to accompany this. But there's a lot of variables here, so read on if you want.

There is now an "SD Card Solution" in place that allows you to use SDHC cards with higher capacities than 2GB, which was the initial limitation. So you can throw in an 8GB or so in there. You can then transfer VC games and channels and so forth to it.

However, whenever you want to play one, it has to be loaded into the system memory proper. In other words, the 512 meg flash onboard memory is still a limitation.

Say you want to play Mario 64, which you've downloaded from Wii Shop. It's 90 blocks big. For whatever reason, you only have 60 free on your system. To play it, you'd have to clear out 30 blocks somehow, and then load it from the SD card.

See, the SD Card Solution really just transparently transfers back to the system memory. It does not stream games from the SD Card. So it works if working to you constitutes throwing up as a way to lose weight.

Now, there's another part to this. Certain games allowed you to use the SD card for external files. Think Guitar Hero and Rock Band - you could download tracks and save them to the SD Card. Well, if the game came out before the solution, it was programmed to only search for a non-SDHC SD Card. It will not find a higher capacity one.

In other words, if you downloaded some tracks to an old 2GB card, but then copied everything over to an SDHC card, the game won't be able to find them. The only way around this is to use the old card (unless developers went and patched games, but this won't ever happen).

Now, some games these days do search for the SDHC cards, and can stream data directly from them. Nintendo's stance that you can't run files from the SD card is basically laziness on their part, because Activision (of ALL people) is doing just that with Guitar Hero these days - files saved externally are being loaded directly from the card in-game. They've got it set up so that you can play songs while still in game, even if they are on the SD card. It loads them on the fly. Other developers can do this also, but when even Nintendo won't, I doubt we'll see too much widespread use. Which is dumb, if mostly because there's no excuse for Nintendo to not have had this available since day 1.

Basically, because of having channels and save data on your system, the "best" way to handle everything would be to just have it all on your SD card. Games don't take too long to move back and forth, and then you never have to mess with memory management ever again. It's annoying in that it creates "load screens" (ho ho), but at least it erases all doubt in the "Do I have enough open?" camp.

bread's done
Back