The Wii Obscure Facts and FAQ (Version 2.0) *NOW LIVE*

that's strange. see if you can find LA on the globe and zoom in as much as you can so all options appear.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Random question: how the hell do you delete channels?? I really want that MP3 preview the hell off my Wii.[/QUOTE]

Go under Wii settings into data where you would copy things to an SD card. You can delete a channel instead of copying to SD.

Although, dont be in a hury to delete the channel, the next round of videos goes up today and you can always delete next week.

My damn battery charger broke (both slots). I have to try to take this POS back and get another one. This is the Intec (?) dual charger that plugs into the wall.

Mine broke as well, sort of. The Blue LED no longer functions but the Green turns on when it it supposedly "fully" charged. It still works, though, as I've checked it with the multi-meter. But the non working LED coupled with the problems connecting it with the base means I never know if it's actually charging or not.

Mine is also the dual Intec charging base.

Nyko, as I saw when I returned it. Walmart took it back no problem (and I actually did buy it there, but threw away the receipt), and it's charging up my Wiimotes right now. The middle prong broke off on each one. Weird.

I was mistaken, my charger is also a Nyko.

Hey Cocheese, how was the battery life with your charger?

After about 2 weeks, mine never charged the batteries more than 75% and seemed to discharge pretty rapidly - down to 50% after an hour and a half of play. was yours about the same ?

Here is a few questions from a new Wii owner.

-Suggestions on how I can clean off the fingerprint smugs from the unit? I didn't know this thing was a fingerprint magnet!!

-The rear fan, are you SUPPOSE TO FEEL air coming out of it when it is on and playing? I feel NOTHING.. Is this bad?

-I bought a second controller, however this controller does not have that snap lock thing that the controller that came with the wii has. Does nintendo offer free straps?

-I also bought the Joytech Wii power station.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/19/joytech-announces-wii-powerstation-to-keep-your-wiimotes-juiced/

the instructions say run a pass thru power cable that connects to the original power supply brick of the Wii and into the Wii itself. I have heard some strange things about 3rd part devices that latch on to the unit and draws power..example that intercooler for the 360 that seems to burn out the rear or the unit. Is the Wii powerstation going to damage my Wii?

-I am using the 1st party Nintendo wifi USB adapter to let the wii update itself..however I do NOT like the idea of having an open wifi port like that nor do I like my usb adapter being hot like that for hours. Is it safe to have it disable when I don't need the use the online features of the Wii or do I HAVE to have an active wifi access for the wii to do stuff even if I am playing a single player game?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Here is a few questions from a new Wii owner.

-Suggestions on how I can clean off the fingerprint smugs from the unit? I didn't know this thing was a fingerprint magnet!![/QUOTE] Regular soft cloth

[quote name='ITDEFX']-The rear fan, are you SUPPOSE TO FEEL air coming out of it when it is on and playing? I feel NOTHING.. Is this bad?[/QUOTE] The fan is probably on a temp sensor. Play a while and see if the fan comes on or if the console is hot to the touch. If it is, call Nintendo

[quote name='ITDEFX']-I bought a second controller, however this controller does not have that snap lock thing that the controller that came with the wii has. Does nintendo offer free straps?[/QUOTE] Nintendo.com will have a link to request the snap straps or contact their hotline.

[quote name='ITDEFX']-I am using the 1st party Nintendo wifi USB adapter to let the wii update itself..however I do NOT like the idea of having an open wifi port like that nor do I like my usb adapter being hot like that for hours. Is it safe to have it disable when I don't need the use the online features of the Wii or do I HAVE to have an active wifi access for the wii to do stuff even if I am playing a single player game?[/QUOTE]You can disable it if you like, but you surrender Wiiconnect24 features. Your call.

[quote name='foltzie']Regular soft cloth

The fan is probably on a temp sensor. Play a while and see if the fan comes on or if the console is hot to the touch. If it is, call Nintendo

Nintendo.com will have a link to request the snap straps or contact their hotline.

You can disable it if you like, but you surrender Wiiconnect24 features. Your call.[/QUOTE]

thanks... now I need to know about the charging station question... damn I already opened it up.

I'm moving to Ireland, and was wondering what to do with my Wii. If I bring my Wii to Ireland, 1) Will it work, and 2) Will it play PAL games? I remember reading somethings about Wii being region locked/not locked, but that was back when it launched. Wikipedia has nothing...

[quote name='MisterModest']I'm moving to Ireland, and was wondering what to do with my Wii. If I bring my Wii to Ireland, 1) Will it work, and 2) Will it play PAL games? I remember reading somethings about Wii being region locked/not locked, but that was back when it launched. Wikipedia has nothing...[/QUOTE]

1) You'll have to get a power adapter to adjust to US power or a Irish Wii power brick, which will acomplish the same thing.

2) No and I dont think that there is a Wii Freeloader yet.

Thanks. I got an American-to-Irish plug adapter already, so that should work. I might look into getting an Irish Wii power brick, which could work ever better. Sucks about it not playing PAL games, guess I'll have to import American games to Ireland, if I decide to keep it.

Thanks again.

[quote name='MisterModest']Thanks. I got an American-to-Irish plug adapter already, so that should work. I might look into getting an Irish Wii power brick, which could work ever better. Sucks about it not playing PAL games, guess I'll have to import American games to Ireland, if I decide to keep it.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

No problem, send over some whiskey and we're even.

i am now getting creped out by my Wii blinking blue from it's drive. It's like saying to me, hey you, I got something to tell ya..but you have to turn me on first :O

So I guess the Wii is a system where you have to STAND up to play the games.

don't know if this has been discussed before but if i wanted to purchase games on the wii. If i buy a new one wii like some limited edition or one with a hard drive (hopefully much later on) would i be able to transfer all my data and wii classic games over to the new? if so how?

[quote name='shadylane']don't know if this has been discussed before but if i wanted to purchase games on the wii. If i buy a new one wii like some limited edition or one with a hard drive (hopefully much later on) would i be able to transfer all my data and wii classic games over to the new? if so how?[/QUOTE]

There's been a lot of debate on this.

To my knowledge, you ought to be able to call Nintendo and tell them that you've just purchased a new system, and that you want to transfer your VC games/any channels you've purchased over to it. In this instance, they'll ask you to send in your systems to their CSR department, where they should be able to do the switch. It sounds like a pain in the ass because it is a pain in the ass, but supposedly it can be done.

Others have said this is not possible at all, whether or not you contact Nintendo.

What I am sincerely hoping will happen (but I doubt it will) is that they will adopt an iTunes model, and allow you to authorize/deauthorize machines for your games and channels, thus allowing you to transfer them around. For example, I have a launch system. If I got a second one (for whatever reason - maybe the first one isn't reading discs, or there's a special edition, etc), then what I could do is log into Nintendo.com in my MyNintendo account, and register this second serial as a valid system. Then, I should be able to download my games to an SD card, move them to the new system, and be able to play them there.

This requires that Nintendo is actually working on A) the ability to allow users to transfer content around, and B) that we are granted the ability to play games/channels directly from the SD card. And right now, neither of those things look likely.

Here's hoping that Wiiware finally pushes them into a "WE NEED AN HD" mode, since everyone is going to fill up those blocks soon.

Side note: Perrin Kaplan recently said "the Wii is a like a refridgerator - you just remove what you don't need and then get it again later," implying that the model of "delete a game you don't need since you can always download it later" is a valid method of operation. It isn't. But that means that at some time, they've discussed such things internally, and apparently, no one feels like this is an inconvenience to consumers.

Which is kind of like....if you bought a banana at the store, and it came with a guardian, like a poison frog. And you had to defeat the frog to get at the delicious banana. I'm sorry, but just because I want to eat a goddamn banana doesn't mean I want to fight off a giant, evil frog.

i have more to add to my small contribution to the faq...

games with saves that CANNOT be copied to an SD card:

Elebits
Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Meet the Robinsons
MLB Power Pros
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
TMNT

other games that i've tested and CAN be copied:

Ant Bully
Barnyard
Big Brain Academy
Brunswick Bowling
Boogie
Call of Duty 3
Carnival Games
Cars
Chicken Little: Ace in Action
Cooking Mama: Cook Off
DDR: Hottest Party
Dewy's Adventure
Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast
Excite Truck
FarCry: Vengeance
Happy Feet
Ice Age 2
Kororinpa: Marble Mania
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Metroid Prime 3
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Rampage: Total Destruction
Rayman: Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
Resident Evil 4
Shrek the Third
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Spider-Man 3
SSX Blur
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Super Paper Mario
Super Swing Golf
Tamagotchi: Party On
Tiger Woods 07
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Zelda: Twilight Princess

so if anyone has any games that AREN'T named, and can verify that the save file CAN or CANNOT be copied to an SD card... speak up! i'd love to have a full list of games with this information. it could come in handy, especially as the VC library increases, WiiWare titles get introduced, and if nintendo continues to not give us a hard drive for additional storage space.

do we want to start documenting how many blocks the various save files take up? game saves, VC games, VC saves, channels, etc........?

does anybody recommend a good sd card? does name brand matter? also any good cheap ones listed in the black fridays ad?

last question are those wii sd cards the same that you use in the ds?

[quote name='shadylane']does anybody recommend a good sd card? does name brand matter? also any good cheap ones listed in the black fridays ad?

last question are those wii sd cards the same that you use in the ds?[/QUOTE]

SD card from anyone should be fine. Get something cheap from buy.com or look up deals at dealnews.com. You don't need an official one like you'll see at Gamestop/Target/Best Buy/etc. Keep it 2 gigs max, because the system really can't detect anything higher than 2 gigs.

I don't know what you're asking in the second part about the DS. The DS doesn't use SD cards unless you're using one of those...things that needs it. The M4 or R3 or whatever they are called.

While I don't condone such things, I can't imagine why you couldn't use the same SD card between the two devices.

[quote name='shadylane']oh so the ds has internal memory?[/QUOTE]

The DS cards are like NES/SNES/N64 cartridges - they can have data saved/erased/rewritten onto them. I imagine there's a limit to the number of times that can happen, but it would be in the thousands, if not tens or hundred of thousands, so the chance of you "maxing it out" so to speak are very, very slim.

There's very little memory inside the DS itself. It has a small amount of memory that holds things like your nickname, your birthday, some wireless/wifi settings, etc. But it doesn't hold game saves or anything. It has firmware, but the firmware can't be updated. Or, at least, not officially. There are ways to do this I've heard for purposes of running homebrew and the like, but most DS owners wouldn't ever need to do that.

So it DOES have internal memory, but it's a very small amount, and unless you are doing not-covered-by-Nintendo sorts of things, you're never going to alter or change it.

[quote name='Strell']No problem. I'm trying to be better on answering question and updating this thread. Glad I could help![/quote]
whats up with your avatar, it screams child molester
u didnt answer the ? for cheapest sd card for use with the wii

[quote name='hupp']whats up with your avatar, it screams child molester
u didnt answer the ? for cheapest sd card for use with the wii[/quote]

you can get SD cards everywhere. some, as cheap as 5 dollars. where? EVERYWHERE

In the interest of being helpful, you can get SD cards at most places that have an electronic section.

The most obvious places would be like Best Buy, Circuit City, and Micro Center.

[quote name='Strell']There's very little memory inside the DS itself. It has a small amount of memory that holds things like your nickname, your birthday, some wireless/wifi settings, etc. But it doesn't hold game saves or anything. It has firmware, but the firmware can't be updated. Or, at least, not officially. There are ways to do this I've heard for purposes of running homebrew and the like, but most DS owners wouldn't ever need to do that.

So it DOES have internal memory, but it's a very small amount, and unless you are doing not-covered-by-Nintendo sorts of things, you're never going to alter or change it.[/quote]

What about DS download demos? Don't those download to some sort of internal memory?

[quote name='j_factor']What about DS download demos? Don't those download to some sort of internal memory?[/QUOTE]

Demos are held in the RAM, not the ROM. So that data can be held as long as you don't turn off the system.

It's temporary storage. It's not read/write memory.

In response to DocRamon, I can say that saves for Trauma Center: New Blood, Ghost Squad and Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 CANNOT be transferred to an SD card. Link's Crossbow Training CAN be transferred.

anyone know whats a good wii memory card to buy right now during black friday?

i have the following near me...

bestbuy
circuit city
compusa
toys r us
FYE
Sears

i looked at the ads but just a little confused on which SD card it is exactly that is compatible with the Wii....also one for the psp if you guys wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction

Anyone else here know that you can charge any device that charges through USB while the Wii is on standbye mode? I just tried it with my Zune and it works perfectly and I would igmanine it works with just about anything else that charges through USB. Sorry if this is a common known fact but I just recently discovered it.

[quote name='shadylane']anyone know whats a good wii memory card to buy right now during black friday?[/QUOTE]

Check the deals threads, but ANY SD card will work with the Wii. By any I mean regular sized SD, mini and micro SD do not count.

[quote name='foltzie']Check the deals threads, but ANY SD card will work with the Wii. By any I mean regular sized SD, mini and micro SD do not count.[/QUOTE]

There are some mobile memory packs that are a microSD with a regular adapter and sometimes a miniSD adapter.

As long as the microSD card you get has a SD adapter, you can use that as well.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']There are some mobile memory packs that are a microSD with a regular adapter and sometimes a miniSD adapter.

As long as the microSD card you get has a SD adapter, you can use that as well.[/QUOTE]

True, but thats because they have an SD adapter, not because they are micro or mini SD. I was trying to keep it simple.

just to store files. You can copy saves over in the menu to back them up, but you can't save directly to it from games.

Can also back up Virtual Console games there, but can't play them off of it (would have to move them back to the internal memory first.

So it's pretty much pointless at this point, unless you need it for Pictures or MP3s or are paranoid and want to back up all the saves.

You can play MP3s off of a SD card, and in Super Smash Brothers Brawl you will be able to save pictures, videos, and levels to an SD card.

Wow i thought it was more like an active hard drive. Oh well. I guess if i move a VC game to the memory card it would save my games? Such as in Zelda 1? Or would deleting the game and downloading it again be the same?

Off topic a little, is there anyway to delete channels like news, weather, and others?

The save files for VC games are separate from the game. They are with the rest of the game saves, while the actual games are with the channels.

You can only delete the channels that you download. You cannot delete the default channels.

[quote name='t0llenz']I have a question -- Can you use any of the Sandisk memory cards, or does it have to be the Wii specific one?[/QUOTE]

Scandisk cards work just fine. Picked up a 4GB card last year on black Friday haven't had a problem since.

[quote name='kill3r7']Scandisk cards work just fine. Picked up a 4GB card last year on black Friday haven't had a problem since.[/quote]

Really? Last I knew, the Wii didn't recognize anything above 2gb.

Did this change at some point, and I missed it?

If so, why would Nintendo even change it, when the functionality barely demands 1gb at this point, let alone another 3gb?

bread's done
Back