The Wii Obscure Facts and FAQ (Version 2.0) *NOW LIVE*

[quote name='Ruahrc']2 questions I did not see answered in the FAQ:

1: How many Gamecube memory card slots does the Wii have? I can't tell from the pics if it is just one or if it is 2 stacked on top of each other. If there is only 1, is there any way to copy data from one GC card to another (via temporarily storing it on the Wii internal memory or SD card?)

2: I see mention of a "hard drive" for the Wii in the FAQ in the section about the internal filesystem. 270MB for storage off of an internal hard drive seems awfully small. I suspect the Wii using flash memory instead? This also comes into play regarding noise as flash memory is silent.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

1. It has two, just like the Gamecube. I don't know about transferring data, but I would imagine it would be like you'd do it on a Gamecube by going into the memory manager before the game loads. To my knowledge you cannot copy data from a GC card to the Wii's memory (and there is a thread about this somewhere where I argued why it isn't needed, but I'm not going to go look it up, and it was fairly recent).

2. It has 512 megs of internal flash memory. I need to check my data on the 270 meg figure, but the other stuff is devoted to things like the Address Book, Wifi settings, etc.

You would have to manufacture your own plastic clip that would fit both devices just like the person who made the one in the pic.

[quote name='Scrubking']You would have to manufacture your own plastic clip that would fit both devices just like the person who made the one in the pic.[/quote]
Or just buy this.

Ahhh... I saw the grip thing at EB Games, $15 for that, no thanks.

Edit: What is the unnamed button on the top of the classic controller?

So I got a new Wii-- I searched the FAQ and the forum first--

is there a way to transfer VC games yet? It looks like one person had success. I have games linked to my mynintendo account, so maybe that'll help my case?

[quote name='Apossum']So I got a new Wii-- I searched the FAQ and the forum first--

is there a way to transfer VC games yet? It looks like one person had success. I have games linked to my mynintendo account, so maybe that'll help my case?[/QUOTE]

Between systems that you own, or to a friend's system?

The first can be done, but you have to talk to Nintendo.

The second cannot be done.

[quote name='Strell']Between systems that you own, or to a friend's system?

The first can be done, but you have to talk to Nintendo.

The second cannot be done.[/QUOTE]

I sold the first one, it had the games on it and I wanna transfer to my new system. The first one is still registered to me.

guess I'll call them up.

I dunno how they'll handle that. Generally you are supposed to send in both to have them do it - I know there's a program that allows them to do such things.

So good luck. I expect full bitching if you can't.

[quote name='Strell']I dunno how they'll handle that. Generally you are supposed to send in both to have them do it - I know there's a program that allows them to do such things.

So good luck. I expect full bitching if you can't.[/QUOTE]

nah, I already bitched once when they told me there was no way to hold on to them when I was in the process of selling the system :)

if you have to send in systems, I'll just forget about it.

it really should be tied to your mynintendo account though...the "no redownload" policy is overkill. anyone can have any of these games in seconds if they wanted. if piracy was a serious problem, it would have precluded the existence of the VC.

I bought the Nyko Classic controller grip the other day, and I'm pretty happy with it. They could have stood to make the handles longer, but other than that for $10 I'm happy.

Hey guys, I have a question. My Wii gives me a message saying "WiiConnect is not turned on" whenever I don't have standby mode on (but I know for a fact I have WiiConnect turned on), and it only connects once standby mode is activated. Is this a problem or a normal thing? (please say normal so I don't have to return my Wii)

Should I get the Wii land adapter or the wireless adapter so I can use my DS online too? I'm leaning towards the wireless, Because I would like to keep xbox live on when I'm surfing the 'net with my Wii.

[quote name='Slate']Should I get the Wii land adapter or the wireless adapter so I can use my DS online too? I'm leaning towards the wireless, Because I would like to keep xbox live on when I'm surfing the 'net with my Wii.[/QUOTE]

Is the Xbox connecting via a wireless router? If so you should be able to get both the Wii and the DS connected through it as well. The wireless adapter is really more of a convenience - you can use regular routers.

TheBigBoi: When do you get that message regarding WiiConnect24?

[quote name='TheBigBoi']Hey guys, I have a question. My Wii gives me a message saying "WiiConnect is not turned on" whenever I don't have standby mode on (but I know for a fact I have WiiConnect turned on), and it only connects once standby mode is activated. Is this a problem or a normal thing? (please say normal so I don't have to return my Wii)[/QUOTE]

That's how it is. You have to have Standby activated to have WC24 on. I asked the same question, too.

Pro Tip: Leave Standby mode on in Settings, and hold down the console power button to turn it completely off.

[quote name='Strell']Is the Xbox connecting via a wireless router? If so you should be able to get both the Wii and the DS connected through it as well. The wireless adapter is really more of a convenience - you can use regular routers.

TheBigBoi: When do you get that message regarding WiiConnect24?[/quote]

My 360 is hooked up with a ethernet cord. But doesn't the wii/ds wireless adapter plug into a USB port?

[quote name='Slate']My 360 is hooked up with a ethernet cord. But doesn't the wii/ds wireless adapter plug into a USB port?[/QUOTE]

The wireless adapter from Nintendo plugs into a USB port on a computer and generates a soft access point, designed for the DS and Wii to connect to wirelessly. However, if you've got a wireless router, you can just have them connect to that instead.

If you want to plug the Wii into a network via Ethernet, you will need the LAN adapter. If you did that, then you could still get one of the USB wireless adapters and use it solely for the DS.

I guess it really comes down to how much you want to get online with both the DS and the Wii versus just the Wii. The adapters are going to be about the same cost either way.

[quote name='Strell']The wireless adapter from Nintendo plugs into a USB port on a computer and generates a soft access point, designed for the DS and Wii to connect to wirelessly. However, if you've got a wireless router, you can just have them connect to that instead.

If you want to plug the Wii into a network via Ethernet, you will need the LAN adapter. If you did that, then you could still get one of the USB wireless adapters and use it solely for the DS.

I guess it really comes down to how much you want to get online with both the DS and the Wii versus just the Wii. The adapters are going to be about the same cost either way.[/quote]

I'll buy the wii/ds wireless adapter then. It sounds better. Thanks! :)

I have another question about the Wii/ds wireless internet adapter. How far away can It be from my wii or ds before losing contact?

I think about 20-30 feet. It isn't exceptionally strong, but it will travel out through walls and things.

That's been my experience at least.

[quote name='Strell']I think about 20-30 feet. It isn't exceptionally strong, but it will travel out through walls and things.

That's been my experience at least.[/quote]

I'm definately buying the Wii/Ds wireless adapter. Thanks! :)

Preface to TheBigBoi: A working Wii gets the "WiiConnect24 is not turned on" error message when WiiConnect24 is off. Turn WiiConnect24 on (not standby mode!). Once WiiConnect24 is on, you may turn on or off Standby mode. You won't even have the option of turning Standby mode on or off if WiiConnect24 is off, because it's always off when WiiConnect24 is off. If, however, you have WiiConnect24 on and standby off and you get the above error message until you turn standby on, yours isn't a properly functioning Wii.

[quote name='CocheseUGA'][quote name='TheBigBoi']Hey guys, I have a question. My Wii gives me a message saying "WiiConnect is not turned on" whenever I don't have standby mode on (but I know for a fact I have WiiConnect turned on), and it only connects once standby mode is activated. Is this a problem or a normal thing? (please say normal so I don't have to return my Wii)[/QUOTE]

That's how it is. You have to have Standby activated to have WC24 on. I asked the same question, too.

Pro Tip: Leave Standby mode on in Settings, and hold down the console power button to turn it completely off.[/QUOTE]

This is wrong. Wrong. Wroooooong.

[quote name='snipegod']I think that's the whole problem ... people are using standby and Wiiconnect24 to mean the same thing. They're not. They're two different setting options.

To illustrate: I just turned WiiConnect24 off (so, standby is also off ... you can't have standby on and WiiConnect24 off) and tried to go into any channel using the internet; you get an error message saying WiiConnect24 is not enabled. You can't even connect to the internet without WiiConnect24 on.

WiiConnect24 on = internet enabled.
WiiConnect24 off = internet disabled.
Standby on = internet checks when the system is off -- when the fans are not running -- creating heat.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='snipegod']Preface to TheBigBoi: A working Wii gets the "WiiConnect24 is not turned on" error message when WiiConnect24 is off. Turn WiiConnect24 on (not standby mode!). Once WiiConnect24 is on, you may turn on or off Standby mode. You won't even have the option of turning Standby mode on or off if WiiConnect24 is off, because it's always off when WiiConnect24 is off. If, however, you have WiiConnect24 on and standby off and you get the above error message until you turn standby on, yours isn't a properly functioning Wii.

This is wrong. Wrong. Wroooooong.[/QUOTE]

No, that's not correct. We had this discussion a couple months ago.

[quote name='snipegod']Go try it.[/QUOTE]

I was the one who asked when I first bought it. Been there, done that, had the discussion.

[quote name='snipegod']So, your wrongness hasn't changed since.[/QUOTE]

How is it wrong? You have WC24 turned on, you have Standby mode turned off. You try to access Weather, and it won't connect unless you go back and turn on Standby mode on.

I'm not sure how much more plain I need to be.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']How is it wrong? You have WC24 turned on, you have Standby mode turned off. You try to access Weather, and it won't connect unless you go back and turn on Standby mode on.

I'm not sure how much more plain I need to be.[/quote]This is true. LEaving SC24 on and turning off standby disables the Weather Channel. I just tried it.

There is no WC24 without Standby.

I just tried it too.

And now am thoroughly confused.

Weather and News don't work with standby off. Everybody Votes and the Internet Browser work with standby off. Only the Internet Browser works (out of the 4) with WiiConnect24 off.

It seems everyone is wrong.

Regardless, you quoted this and said it was wrong: "A working Wii gets the "WiiConnect24 is not turned on" error message when WiiConnect24 is off. Turn WiiConnect24 on (not standby mode!). Once WiiConnect24 is on, you may turn on or off Standby mode. You won't even have the option of turning Standby mode on or off if WiiConnect24 is off, because it's always off when WiiConnect24 is off. If, however, you have WiiConnect24 on and standby off and you get the above error message until you turn standby on, yours isn't a properly functioning Wii."

The conclusion about singling his Wii out as defunct is an error on my part because I was using the Everybody Votes channel to test the settings. Had I been using Weather or News, I would have seen how fucking retardedly blurry Nintendo has made the distinction between WC24 and Standby.

[quote name='snipegod']I just tried it too.

And now am thoroughly confused.

Weather and News don't work with standby off. Everybody Votes and the Internet Browser work with standby off. Only the Internet Browser works (out of the 4) with WiiConnect24 off.

It seems everyone is wrong.

Regardless, you quoted this and said it was wrong: "A working Wii gets the "WiiConnect24 is not turned on" error message when WiiConnect24 is off. Turn WiiConnect24 on (not standby mode!). Once WiiConnect24 is on, you may turn on or off Standby mode. You won't even have the option of turning Standby mode on or off if WiiConnect24 is off, because it's always off when WiiConnect24 is off. If, however, you have WiiConnect24 on and standby off and you get the above error message until you turn standby on, yours isn't a properly functioning Wii."

The conclusion about singling his Wii out as defunct is an error on my part because I was using the Everybody Votes channel to test the settings. Had I been using Weather or News, I would have seen how fucking retardedly blurry Nintendo has made the distinction between WC24 and Standby.[/QUOTE]

True. And as I have no use for Votes or Opera, I never bother to check them. Don't really have a use for Weather either, but it's cool...I guess.

Yeah, this is weird. Interetingly, though, the channel I ever use (EVC) still works as you said, so standby is gone on my system until it has a real use.

The blue light message novelty wore off in December I think ;)

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, this is weird. Interetingly, though, the channel I ever use (EVC) still works as you said, so standby is gone on my system until it has a real use.

The blue light message novelty wore off in December I think ;)[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't know, I've never gotten one.

I've always had Wii24 on and Standby Connection on until recently, as I figured why have the Standby Connection on using electricity, and making my Wii hot?

Now it's much cooler with the Standby Connection off, and Wii24 on. When I go to weather, it's up-to-date, and everything else connects fine. So YMMV, I guess?

Made the call to Nintendo about the VC games-- as expected, nothing I can do since I sold the original system.

I even tried reason-- that it's proven that I bought the games-- but nope. the lady was very sympathetic though. so I got that going for me, which is nice.

That's a really rotten policy, but w/e, most of the games were downloaded with cards that were given to me as gifts.

Well I finally found a Wii...and now they want 500 points for the freaking web browser... this sucks... thanks Nintendo and opera... for nothing!

Picked up the Nyko dual charger today, it's pretty nice. Unfortunately, you can't charge the second battery without a second remote (I'm sure I could fab something, but it's not worth it). Wish it had the option to charge via USB, though.

[quote name='daroga']This is true. LEaving SC24 on and turning off standby disables the Weather Channel. I just tried it.

There is no WC24 without Standby.[/QUOTE]

You are right and what's stupid is the error message tells you to turn on WiiConnect24. Which is already on!

Has anyone wrote or called Nintendo about this issue. This could be fixed with a small software or firmware update.

[quote name='The Crotch']Of course, you would easily have been able to afford those 500 points if you had just sold those fucking rocks to the museum.

Fortune and glory, motherfucker.[/QUOTE]

Laughs... that is a great quote.

I love the music on the Weather Channel at night. I wish someone would record it/release it. I know they put that "Wii Music" out a few months ago with music from the Mii channels and shop channels, etc.. they got every Weather song.. except the one I want, the night time theme. :cry:

[quote name='Scorch']I love the music on the Weather Channel at night. I wish someone would record it/release it. I know they put that "Wii Music" out a few months ago with music from the Mii channels and shop channels, etc.. they got every Weather song.. except the one I want, the night time theme. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I'll try to resolve this myself. Not sure how but I'll look into it.

Great Fact sheet. A few things I want to add:

* You can turn off WiiConnect24 by holding the power button for about 5 seconds. It will turn red
* There is a wireless sensor bar sold at many stores (Circuit city, Gamestop, etc) and I believe it is by Intec
* The link to how to make a sensor bar is coded incorrectly. It should link to
* I notices that many people did not like how memory cards and wavebirds looked in the wii. You may want to add that it IS possible to add wavebird adaptors and memory cards INSIDE your wii so there is nothing sticking out:
and
* You can also make the wii-mote chargers use external PSU (Instead of usb) here
* The Opera browser HAS come out now. You should edit it out instead of saying "It has yet to release"
* A lot of other things need to be updated, there are a lot of outdated things.

I'm not trying to nitpick and be mean, just want to make it a little more updated for CAG members.

As of firmware 3.0, having WC24 on/Standbye off and going into Weather or News still does not work ... but they changed the error message to say "WC24 Standby Connection is turned off. Standby must be turned on to use this channel."

I don't know if this was posted in the thread about the new firmware, but it's relevant to this thread.

Ok so I start playing around with the internet functions of the Wii today and the first thing I do is do an update or whatever. Then I try Wii Forcast. Well I live in Los Angeles and I can't find it anywhere. As a matter of fact, the only location they offer me is "The Valley" and the only region that is offered is "Anguilla." WTH?! How come they won't offer me California or Los Angeles or anything? I can't even use Wii Shop because of this!

bread's done
Back