The Wii Obscure Facts and FAQ (Version 2.0) *NOW LIVE*

I got a 2gb one on BF just for my future Wii 12.88 at walmart. Don't buy the Wii specific ones b/c from what I heard, they don't anything extra.

[quote name='007']Really? Last I knew, the Wii didn't recognize anything above 2gb.

Did this change at some point, and I missed it?[/quote]
A handful of SD cards larger than 2 GB will work. The Wii's documentation never said it was impossible to use a SD card > 2 GB, jut not advised due to compatibility issues with most of them.

[quote name='maguszxz']I got a 2gb one on BF just for my future Wii 12.88 at walmart. Don't buy the Wii specific ones b/c from what I heard, they don't anything extra.[/QUOTE]

Yep, nothing extra. They are plain old SD cards with the Nintendo logo on them.

Just a way to fleece the sheeple who don't know better.

[quote name='RyokoYaksa']A handful of SD cards larger than 2 GB will work. The Wii's documentation never said it was impossible to use a SD card > 2 GB, jut not advised due to compatibility issues with most of them.[/quote]
Interesting, I didn't know that at least *some* did work. I haven't read the Wii documentation on the subject, I just knew that everytime it was brought up on here, all I saw was a string of replies that said 'won't work bigger than 2gb!'.

Like I said, though, until they allow it to have more function, there's no point in even 2gb, let alone 4gb. It's funny... you don't even realize how much the card adds until you put the card in the Wii and see exactly how many blocks it truly is. Shame I can't use it for much, though, Nintendo. *cough* *COUGH*

I was wondering if you are able to reorangize the order that your channels appear? also i have like a blank space and dont know why like it goes weather news(or news weather not sure which comes first) the empty then the rest of my vc games

I was wondering if you are able to reorangize the order that your channels appear? also i have like a blank space and dont know why like it goes weather news(or news weather not sure which comes first) the empty then the rest of my vc games

I like that my Wii glows when it has to tell me something, like a system update or a new channel has launched.

I hate that, recently, my Wii glows when it wants to tell me about a "Check Mii Out" contest. It's done so 3-4 times at least.

Is there a way to keep the former or prevent the latter, or will I have to choose between two different kinds of inconvenience?

[quote name='mykevermin']I like that my Wii glows when it has to tell me something, like a system update or a new channel has launched.

I hate that, recently, my Wii glows when it wants to tell me about a "Check Mii Out" contest. It's done so 3-4 times at least.

Is there a way to keep the former or prevent the latter, or will I have to choose between two different kinds of inconvenience?[/quote]
You can opt out of the 'Check Mii Out' messages. There's surely a way to do it form the 'CMO' menu, but yo can also do it directly from the messages they send. Go to one of the 'CMO' messages, and there should be a button in the top-right corner. One of the options is 'opt out of CMO' messages. So, yes, you can opt-out of JUST those. (PS: in fact, they gave you that option when you signed up for the channel, too)

I turned mine off, too... I don't feel right leaving the blue light blinking, and I hate having to turn it on for something I couldn't care less about.

Got a question. For Wii games that don't support 480p, is the lag very noticeable on a LCD HDTV? I was looking to buy MLB Power Pros, but if it lags then I'll just get the PS2 version and play it on the PS3 so there's no lag (I think).

[quote name='SnorE']I was wondering if you are able to reorangize the order that your channels appear? also i have like a blank space and dont know why like it goes weather news(or news weather not sure which comes first) the empty then the rest of my vc games[/QUOTE]

Yep. Just grab them by holding A + B and drag them to the spot you want. I'm pretty sure you can do it with every channel except the disc/game in the wii channel.

[quote name='natureboy46']Yep. Just grab them by holding A + B and drag them to the spot you want. I'm pretty sure you can do it with every channel except the disc/game in the wii channel.[/QUOTE]

Correct.

And you can (i think) only delete channels that you've downloaded. The picture channel can't be deleted, but the internet channel can.

Is there a key somewhere that describes what all the little blue icons on the back of each game mean?

Some are self-explanatory, others are not. For example, MOH:Heroes 2 has a Wiimote with a "4" on it. I took that to mean that up to 4 people could play simultaneously on the same console. That's not the case at all.

[quote name='MisterHand']Is there a key somewhere that describes what all the little blue icons on the back of each game mean?

Some are self-explanatory, others are not. For example, MOH:Heroes 2 has a Wiimote with a "4" on it. I took that to mean that up to 4 people could play simultaneously on the same console. That's not the case at all.[/QUOTE]

I'll add this. I really, really need to update this thing.

The 4 player icon on the back of MoH:H2 is a typo, by the way. There's no local multiplayer.

Which is 'tarded, but eh.

[quote name='webcaster68']Strell and everyone else who helped put this together, Thank you. I just joined the Wii family so I am glad I had this FAQ to look at.[/quote]

welcome! the wii has loads of awesome games out now. congrats on getting one

[quote name='Gourd']Is there a way to delete the play time notes in the calendar?[/QUOTE]

Use the trash icon just like any other message.

There's a Hannah Montana /game/ for the Wii? This system keeps getting better all the time!

... Uh.

I mean...

Dude. When is the Halos coming out for this so I can teabag some noobs?

[quote name='foltzie']Use the trash icon just like any other message.[/QUOTE]

Unlike any other message, 'Today's Accomplishments' notably /lacks/ a trash icon within it. This is why I'm asking.

[quote name='Strell']I'll add this. I really, really need to update this thing.

The 4 player icon on the back of MoH:H2 is a typo, by the way. There's no local multiplayer.

Which is 'tarded, but eh.[/quote]

Did you beat Hanna Montanna yet?

Will using the componet cables for my 40 inch sony hdtv give me better resolution or upscaling when playing gamecube games on the wii?

In my experience, yes. Going from the RCA output to a component on my 42 inch LCD sharpened everything up and reduced bleed.

480p output, however, is dependent on the particular Gamecube game supporting it.

I'm not sure if the FAQ on the first page is still being updated, but I think I found out something new about making Miis Favorites. From what I can tell making a Mii a favorite sets their priority higher when you have to select a Mii in games. So if you have a bunch of Miis the favorites will be on the first page of the selectable Miis rather than placed somewhere randomly further back. I think that's the purpose of that pretty much.

After that priority seems to be alphabetical or just random (From what I can tell in Wii sports).

About Wii widescreen games. Is 16:9 achieved by cutting off the top and bottom of the 4:3 image; or does 16:9 actually add information to the sides of a normal screen?

I'm about to order some Wii component cables from monoprice but is there something better about the black ones that are more expensive than the white ones?

Black ones:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3490&seq=1&format=2

White ones:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2

I'd actually prefer white since that's the Wii color and they are cheaper to boot. But kind of scratching my head as to why the black ones are pricier.

Also I think the OP should be updated with why the Recommend me a game thread lists more than 10 games. :razz:

[quote name='lilboo']I have those white ones and I don't seem to have any problems at all. The white ones are currently on sale![/quote]

Same here. Work great. Of course I don't have another set to compare to.

I didn't see this in the memory or backwards compatibility section. Do I have to have a GC memory card to save GameCube games, or can I just save it to the Wii. I just borrowed Pikmin from a friend, but I don't have a memory card (unless I can find my old one from Animal Crossing that I forgot to sell a long time ago).

EDIT- Nevermind, you do have to have a GC memory card in order to save. I'll try and go pick one up for cheap at a Hollywood Video by my house that's closing.

[quote name='beerme']About Wii widescreen games. Is 16:9 achieved by cutting off the top and bottom of the 4:3 image; or does 16:9 actually add information to the sides of a normal screen?[/quote]

When in widescreen mode, more stuff is added to the sides of a 4:3 image to achieve a panoramic effect (or rather, widescreen).

Is there anything i should know about playing gamecube games on my wii before buying some? I mean other then you have to use a GC controller and GC memory card?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Is there anything i should know about playing gamecube games on my wii before buying some? I mean other then you have to use a GC controller and GC memory card?[/QUOTE]

You can't exit out of a GC game into the Wii menu - you have to reset/shut down the system manually.

Wii components cannot be accessed while in GC mode. I.e., system memory cannot be used to save games (as you've already said), nor can the wifi be used for local LAN games or anything of the sort.

It's probably best to remove your memory card when not in use, as some people claim that wificonnect24 has fried their cards.

It doesn't matter if the system is vertical or horizontal when you load a GC disc.

GBA Adapter cannot be used for obvious physical reasons.

I think that should do it.

Anyone know if the Nyko wireless nunchuck products will actually fit the Perfect Shot? In store, it didn't look like it would, at least the $19.99 option.

[quote name='Strell']
It's probably best to remove your memory card when not in use, as some people claim that wificonnect24 has fried their cards.

It doesn't matter if the system is vertical or horizontal when you load a GC disc.
[/quote]

Really? I have never heard this, and have had my memory cards in the system since it first came out.

I believe I have four or so 1019 cards, and should have backups of the ones in use anyway, so I'm not too worried. Still, I have never heard of this problem before.

Someone complained about it long ago (right when the Wii came out), and then we recently had another topic within the last few weeks where similar claims were made, and many responded that WC24 was probably to blame.

I just don't take the chance. Now that Brawl is out, the only time I'd need a memory card in there is when I'm actually playing a GC game (I'd originally left a stock card in there purely for Melee purposes).

You can avoid it by turning off WC24. I believe the theory is that the heat generated by the system being on constantly is what does the card in.

So there's your warning.

Edit: Here's the recent thread about it.

[quote name='Strell']Wii component cannot be accessed while in GC mode.[/quote]

So i would have to have my wii hooked up via composite cables for GC games to work?

[quote name='The 7th Number']So i would have to have my wii hooked up via composite cables for GC games to work?[/QUOTE]

That was meant to be "components," hence the talk about Wii memory and wifi. Not component as in the cable being used to hook up the system to the TV. You can indeed use the component cable for the Wii, allowing GC games to take advantage of progressive scan. So you don't need a second cable at all.

My mistake. I actually read my post a little after I posted it and thought that the sentence could be misinterpretted.

[quote name='Strell']Someone complained about it long ago (right when the Wii came out), and then we recently had another topic within the last few weeks where similar claims were made, and many responded that WC24 was probably to blame.

I just don't take the chance. Now that Brawl is out, the only time I'd need a memory card in there is when I'm actually playing a GC game (I'd originally left a stock card in there purely for Melee purposes).

You can avoid it by turning off WC24. I believe the theory is that the heat generated by the system being on constantly is what does the card in.

So there's your warning.

Edit: Here's the recent thread about it.[/quote]

Hmm. I suppose I could understand why that would happen, as they do feel a bit warm.

Maybe I shouldn't leave my Wavebird receivers in there, either.

Hey I just picked up the Energizer E2 Rechargeable Doc and Go charging system on clearance from target for 17.48 (50% off)

It has 4 2500 mAh batteries and can charge them in about 3 hours. Is this a good battery system for the wiimotes?

is it possible to transfer gamecube game saves from the computer to the wii? maybe through a sd card?

also are all wii gamesaves locked? those you can't transfer over at all?

[quote name='shadylane']is it possible to transfer gamecube game saves from the computer to the wii? maybe through a sd card?

also are all wii gamesaves locked? those you can't transfer over at all?[/quote]

As far as I know, GC saves can only reside on a GC card. I don't think you can transfer one from an SD card to a GC card.

Not all Wii saves are locked. Most of them can be copied to an SD card and shared. It seems that the online-enabled games are the ones that are usually locked.

bread's done
Back