The Wonderful 101 $29.99 @ Amazon/Target/GameStop/Best Buy ($23.99 GCU)

I'm really interested in this game but I have just recently bought a wii u and 3ds xl with a bunch of games on both! So I have a small back log on Nintendo games, don't want to buy this and have it sit on the shelve and it will go down in price in the future. Do you guys think this game will be rare to find in the future?? Sometimes I hear this about some games and I still find them a year later on the cheap. Should this be any different?

platinum is so underrated. their games arent perfection but they are so much fun !! only they could make a game where you have a jet pack on your ass and make it a great game lmao. now i wanna play vanquish :)
I want to agree with this. Platinum makes amazing games, but are they really underrated if people love their work? Underappreciated is a much better word to describe Platinum. People know their games are good, but they aren't buying them. It's a terrible conundrum that is the reason Platinum is in a bad position. Lots of people (including myself) know that the product will be good, but due to the small number of people that will buy the game at all the price will drop quicker and so we all wait it out. It's really a terrible self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe Platinum should try making their games less than the standard MSRP at launch and see if they can get more traction that way.

I'm really interested in this game but I have just recently bought a wii u and 3ds xl with a bunch of games on both! So I have a small back log on Nintendo games, don't want to buy this and have it sit on the shelve and it will go down in price in the future. Do you guys think this game will be rare to find in the future?? Sometimes I hear this about some games and I still find them a year later on the cheap. Should this be any different?
Infinite space became pretty rare (especially the case for the game) after a while, but this game is also on the eshop, as long as you don't mind paying full price for it when you are ready, you have nothing to worry about.

They didnt ship millions of copies of this game though, so it might become somewhat rare. I think the reception it got was expected this time.

Man, I thought I was done with buying games for a while, but I can't pass up this game for 24 bucks. Hopefully now the only other games I buy are from XBLA's countdown sale!

I really can't decide if I should jump. Anyone think it will get to $20ish soon?
Depending on your level of status at Best Buy you can just pick it up now and keep it on the backlog and hope within the next 45 days that it goes down in price. If it was an officially branded Nintendo game it may be hard but this is a niche title.

Usually I shop at Amazon but having GCU price match just as fast as Amazon and having 20% off makes me shop there instead. They ship 2 days most of the time now too. Funny how that works.

Amazon doesn't have much to worry about but they need to bring something to the table to combat what BestBuy is doing. Just price matching and having better TIV's (sometimes) isn't enough right now.

As for Platinum Games. I think most of their games aren't good. They feel like unfinished projects that had some final pieces just to make it go Gold. Other than Bayonetta which is on my top ten game list of all time. If only they could make games on the scale of that. It was the perfect blend of action / adventure and hack & slash. Just beautiful.

Is this a permanent price drop? Also, since it's a Nintendo published title: I'm just curious if the price'll be lower in the next few months... Decisions, decisions.

As for Platinum Games. I think most of their games aren't good. They feel like unfinished projects that had some final pieces just to make it go Gold. Other than Bayonetta which is on my top ten game list of all time. If only they could make games on the scale of that. It was the perfect blend of action / adventure and hack & slash. Just beautiful.
Huh, just reminded me that bayonetta is one of my OLD backlog (before I was on CAG and was cursed) games that I still haven't played... Know what I need? I need that damned time capsule training room thing from dragonball z, I could go in there and play ALL my games, start to end, and come out and not have to worry about a billion more games being released while I was...

For 30 bucks I'll take a shot on the game. The demo didn't really wow me, but again, for 30 bucks I'll support the game and add to my WiiU collection.

For $24 I'm in and I don't even own a Wii U (yet!).  The GCU 20% off is going to get me into so much trouble with the husband this Christmas. 

Just realized/remembered that I had a bunch of amazon credit so I went ahead and grabbed a copy! Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Should i pick this up now even if i dont have a wii u but plan on getting one in a couple of months? Saw a couple at GS and plan to use bday coupon and PUR. I feel like that'll be the cheapest it'll go.

I would not be surprised if this is OOP in a few months and this is the lowest it goes.
I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 7.99 at best buy next year. Or if it goes out of stock forever and people miss it does anyone care? I just don't think its a big deal if it goes out of stock. It sold poorly because no one wanted it in the first place...

I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 7.99 at best buy next year. Or if it goes out of stock forever and people miss it does anyone care? I just don't think its a big deal if it goes out of stock. It sold poorly because no one wanted it in the first place...
Well people here are asking if this is a good price to grab it at. Some don't even own Wii U's yet. It's certainly possible it gets cheaper, but this seems like the kind of title Nintendo would be conservative with and wind up printing very a small quantity of. Once it's gone it's gone.

Haven't bought a new WiiU game since Pikmin 3. I got the new Mario yesterday and just picked up the wonderful 101 from amazon. Can't wait to get in more WiiU time! Thanks op.

I'm having a blast with this game.  Easily worth the $30.  Tonight I'll try out the multiplayer as well, but it really bothers me that you can't use wiimote+nunchuck for the extra players.

Blaster I'm actually interested in what games you do like. You seem to talk a lot about games you don't like so just wondering
I would also like to see WHY these people don't like this game. I haven't seen one of the trolls on here post a single reason as to what they didn't like about it. It's kind of hard to take someone seriously when they can't back up what they're saying. At least the people that don't like it and list why add to the discussion.

Well I bought the game @ best buy. I am not going to play it now due to backlog l, hopefully you guys are right regarding this going out of print. Although I have a feeling I'm going to find this game cheaper next year. Hope I'm wrong.

Well I bought the game @ best buy. I am not going to play it now due to backlog l, hopefully you guys are right regarding this going out of print. Although I have a feeling I'm going to find this game cheaper next year. Hope I'm wrong.
I don't think it's going to be super rare, but I don't know if Nintendo will print more after what's available now is gone. When some of the retail chains like Best Buy clearance it then it will likely drop under the $29.99 tag, but then you run into the issue of whether it's available for shipping or if your local store has it by the time you see it's on sale and/or when you can get there. I know a lot of people mentioned grabbing the last one at GameStop's and some Targets but I noticed my Wal Mart had 8+ still, though I live in a small town and doubt this is the type of game that sales very well around here... No idea how many GameStop has around here, but will check later this week when I'm in there.

If it's a game you are interested in then this is a great price, IMO. I bought it and I had already beat it (Thanks to Gamefly) and it was still worth a purchase to me. I didn't care for the demo at all, but after receiving it from Gamefly and beating it then it was a definite purchase for me. I understand those that don't feel the price is low enough yet, but for those that are interested I'd say jump on it at this price. It's a first party Nintendo title that's only 3-4 months old so at this point it offers some good value, IMO.

Will be picking this up today just for giggles. Dont have a wii u yet but will be getting one when the price drops again in 2014.

I will see what my xmas situation is. If I get extra Amazon GC's I might be in. That price is something that sounds good enough for me, I just spend too much this month already, lol.

I do want the game though.

I couldn't disagree more. There are so few companies that can put out consistently polished and near perfect games as Platinum.

Nice, when is it going to be the deal of the day?
Probablly never. Or if it does it will be in store pickup only and there won't be any near you with it.

I'd be willing to wager the price drop will dry up remaining copies for people who couldn't stomach 60 bucks and then it will be gone. But it won't ever be rare as used copies from lamestop and ebay will be fairly common.

But I don't see it being 10 dollars anywhere anytime soon.

I couldn't disagree more. There are so few companies that can put out consistently polished and near perfect games as Platinum.
Have you played Anarchy Reigns? That game wasn't bad but my expectations were really low for it. It was just a generic hack & slash that was only saved by the comedic story and somewhat good multiplayer. That game felt like it was some interns first project though.

But this is just my opinion. Bayonetta is there only great game, the rest aren't horrible but they aren't worthy of play imo.

Saw one left on the shelf at a Best Buy I just popped in so I decided to snag it. I get the feeling this is OOP already and I don't want to miss out for a few dollars more than I would have bought it for anyway.

Great price! Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Vanquish are masterpieces when it comes to gameplay design. I platinum'd all 3 of them ;). W101 sounds like its up there as well. I'll be getting this from bestbuy. 

I tried the demo. I wanted to like it, but it just seemed needlessly complex. I'm sure that if I patiently gave it a few hours, then I could probably get into it, but I'm not really feeling the need to buy it now.

Thanks OP for posting this. I decided to bite after talking myself into and out of this game a few times. This may be a situation where I'll keep it sealed and in the shrink wrap until the time comes when I want to play it.

Have you played Anarchy Reigns? That game wasn't bad but my expectations were really low for it. It was just a generic hack & slash that was only saved by the comedic story and somewhat good multiplayer. That game felt like it was some interns first project though.

But this is just my opinion. Bayonetta is there only great game, the rest aren't horrible but they aren't worthy of play imo.
Viewtiful Joe?

One of the few games my wife made me wait to play because she was into the story. So was I. I can't say enough about the game. One of the best games I've played in a while.

Some people from CloverGames (the makers of Viewtiful Joe) left and formed Platinum Games.

Platinum Games (as in the whole team from CloverGames) did not make Viewtiful Joe.

But yes VJ is a great game and so is CloverGames other games.
VJ was a top ten Gamecube game easily. One of my all-time favorite games. Didn't know this about the creators. Doesn't surprise me though. Man I'd kill for a port to rack up some achievements/trophies with.

In regards to Platinum Games I thought that Vanquish was a pretty fun game.  Loved the sliding/shooting mechanics. 

Got a chance to play W101 today and I'm liking it so far.  Has a lot of humor and charm and I'm starting to get the hang of the controls. Some of the enemies are really tough (those damn tanks) but once you figure out their weakness it does get easier. Glad the game isn't a simply button mash and actually requires you to think. 

bread's done
Back