The Wonderful 101 $29.99 @ Amazon/Target/GameStop/Best Buy ($23.99 GCU)

Merry Christmas everyone! I guess I'll be picking one up even though I don't have a Wii U yet from GS. PUR and bday should bring it down to ~$21 and that's probably the lowest it'll be. Don't mind buying used from GS either, they actually have been really good to me lately, always mint condition stuff!

In regards to Platinum Games I thought that Vanquish was a pretty fun game. Loved the sliding/shooting mechanics.

Got a chance to play W101 today and I'm liking it so far. Has a lot of humor and charm and I'm starting to get the hang of the controls. Some of the enemies are really tough (those damn tanks) but once you figure out their weakness it does get easier. Glad the game isn't a simply button mash and actually requires you to think.
Vanquish was pretty good but god damn did it get repetitive for me. I was bored to tears of shooting the same things a hundred times. I spent 99% of the game using the machine gun because I didn't think the other weapons were fun or that good. The story had was so choppy I quit even trying to pay attention. I liked it but I'm glad I only paid 10 bucks for it. I like platinums games and they are fun but they are highly disposable once I beat then. Once and I'm done, kind of like michael bay movies.

Vanquish was pretty good but god damn did it get repetitive for me. I was bored to tears of shooting the same things a hundred times. I spent 99% of the game using the machine gun because I didn't think the other weapons were fun or that good. The story had was so choppy I quit even trying to pay attention. I liked it but I'm glad I only paid 10 bucks for it. I like platinums games and they are fun but they are highly disposable once I beat then. Once and I'm done, kind of like michael bay movies.
^So much this.

I bought it for 10 bucks at Kmart, and that's the max price I'm willing to pay for games like that.

the platinum plunge. they all hit sub $20.
I wish Infinite space hit that low.

Right now I'd say platinum has 4/7 gems. Only Bayonetta comes out truly flawless, but I appreciate a developer that consistently takes risks and puts out something special in a world of nonstop gritty and grey FPS releases.

As much as I love them, I find it hard to replay any single player game twice. I thought Anarchy Reigns was almost their worst game and I played it more than any of the others. There is no real replay value in any single player game imo unless you farm achievements and trophies

Right now I'd say platinum has 4/7 gems. Only Bayonetta comes out truly flawless, but I appreciate a developer that consistently takes risks and puts out something special in a world of nonstop gritty and grey FPS releases.

As much as I love them, I find it hard to replay any single player game twice. I thought Anarchy Reigns was almost their worst game and I played it more than any of the others. There is no real replay value in any single player game imo unless you farm achievements and trophies
infinite space was sub $20 at gamestop before it went oop. thats were i got my two copies. they were used though and i had to drive a county over to pick up one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing this more and really enjoying it. I'd recommend people buy the shield and dodge upgrades early on to help with the early challenges.

i dont know man that bayonetta combat is complex as well and the story omg confusing as can be thats why i havent finshed it i was like WTF is going on!

Not trying to convince you to like the game at all, but I think what was kinda fun about it was what you disliked about it (in a way). The story in Platinum games are always rough with kinda goofy tough-as-nails-and-black-coffee characters. I think that's a lot of fun personally.

The actual mechanics of the game you could either completely ignore and blaze through the whole game with just a machine gun (like you did and I did my first time through) - that seems to be the default since there's virtually no in-game explanation of much of anything. OR you could experiment and find the joy in stuff they put in like [slide -> melee kick -> midair slo-mo -> fire down over a barrier -> cover -> smoke to distract -> etc]. Or alternating between slow moving LFE to hold the close targets and the lock on laser for long distance targets. They setup a bunch of situations where you could really use the games weapons / techniques, but unfortunately only if you knew they existed and why (LFE goes through barriers and pushes stuff back? upgraded lock on can lock a boatload of targets, not just 4? the melee attack for the disc launcher doesn't wear out your suit but uses ammo? you can shoot off romanov appendages and heads?). The only thing I never found much value to was the sniper rifle other than having to use it at one point, I think every other weapon had utility.

I didn't find out about a lot of the fun stuff you could do until I got in to the challenge maps and trophies. Anyhoo, just blabbing to blab, I love Vanquish.

So, I bought 3 copies thinking I could gift them to a friend of mine and a nephew, then keep the 3rd for myself.  Long story short, they don't want them.  I bought them from Target.  I live in a rural area, so the closest Target (where I bought them from) is about an hour and a half away.

I may be going out there soon, but does anyone know of any alternatives?  Can I ship them to Target or return them somewhere else?  I'm not looking to sneak a profit somewhere, just get my money back.

Ive got some cash from Christmas left. And my local store has it...Decisions..Desicions. Wish I wouldve waited on Batman too..Its $29.99 isnt it? . Thanks OP ill check Target first. its a mile from my house.

So, I bought 3 copies thinking I could gift them to a friend of mine and a nephew, then keep the 3rd for myself. Long story short, they don't want them. I bought them from Target. I live in a rural area, so the closest Target (where I bought them from) is about an hour and a half away.

I may be going out there soon, but does anyone know of any alternatives? Can I ship them to Target or return them somewhere else? I'm not looking to sneak a profit somewhere, just get my money back.
Craigslist

So, I bought 3 copies thinking I could gift them to a friend of mine and a nephew, then keep the 3rd for myself. Long story short, they don't want them. I bought them from Target. I live in a rural area, so the closest Target (where I bought them from) is about an hour and a half away.

I may be going out there soon, but does anyone know of any alternatives? Can I ship them to Target or return them somewhere else? I'm not looking to sneak a profit somewhere, just get my money back.
Have they played your cipy enough to at least complete an entire mission? I'm surprised they'd turn down a gift game. Especially one this good.

Had a 10$ promo code after bitching with amazon about an order. Got the game for $19.99 plus tax 2 day shipped. Not bad.

Picked it up used from Gamestop since it was in mint condition, 10% off w/ PUR card plus 20% off with the birthday coupon so total came up to $20.15 without tax.

Great game so far, every Wii U owner should pick this up if they can for this price.

With so little to play on Wii U I want to get it but it looks like it plays exactly like Pikmin, which I hate.
If you don't like the management part of Pikmin then you're fine with W101. The most it has in common with Pikmin is that you run around and recruit people around you. Other than that, it's a lot more hectic and action-y than Pikmin. You'll spend more time fighting and drawing your attacks than you would planning attacks and watching for clocks.

HDShadow, on 29 Dec 2013 - 3:57 PM, said:
If you don't like the management part of Pikmin then you're fine with W101. The most it has in common with Pikmin is that you run around and recruit people around you. Other than that, it's a lot more hectic and action-y than Pikmin. You'll spend more time fighting and drawing your attacks than you would planning attacks and watching for clocks.
That sounds much better. I may gave this a chance then.

With so little to play on Wii U I want to get it but it looks like it plays exactly like Pikmin, which I hate.
Plays nothing like Pikmin, IMHO. The demo doesn't do it justice because it takes some time to ease into the controls and actually understand what's going on. I think the game would have sold better without a demo to be honest.

kind of wish more people would of paid full price for this game so that it wasnt a massive failure :(

kind of wish more people would of paid full price for this game so that it wasnt a massive failure :(
Don't worry, it was just filler to get 1 out of the X number of games required to fulfill their contract with Nintendo. I'm sure it was cheap to put together.

Have they played your cipy enough to at least complete an entire mission? I'm surprised they'd turn down a gift game. Especially one this good.
Some people actually like good games.

If you guys really want this just wait for it to be in the bargain bin.

Dying console and a weak game.

Some people actually like good games.

If you guys really want this just wait for it to be in the bargain bin.

Dying console and a weak game.
Don't know if this game is good or not but I do know it had really really bad sales so it will definitely be bargain bin next year. You can probably find it for 10 bucks at some point.

Lot of great games were seen as a failure this past year. Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider undersold their projections, but they are both excellent games.

Sales is the sore thumb of the industry.. people analyze them for their dollar number and can really decide the fate of some great franchises

It sure does! But you'd have to squint your eyes and turn your head real fast to make it look like Pikmin. I'd recommend opening your eyes normally and holding your head straight at the screen. You may find it's very different.

The Wonderful 101 has a lot of charm and characters that they could have used to build a new Franchise. It's unfortunate as I would have liked to see future releases involving the characters and universe of the W101.

Thanks OP! I was looking for an interesting additional game to pickup with a to-be acquired Wii U that doesn't bust my balls any more.

I just pimped out that filthy TRU whore by using my $10 TRU gc acquired from another one night stand ($19.99 Pokemon Y mishap in early December). My total was $22 (after 8.25% tax). I love that my TRU is only 0.5 mile away from home and also on the way to GameStop where I will be picking a new WindWaker Wii U bundle tomorrow. Total cart before horse purchase  :D/

bread's done
Back