The "WrestleMania Stinks" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished watching the next few weeks of ROH TV thanks to ROH offering them on their site for $1.99 an episode. The 5/4 episode that will air on TV the weekend of the next iPPV is well worth watching as it has two fucking fantastic matches on the show. Michael Elgin vs "Machine Gun" Karl Anderson followed up with Davey Richards vs Kyle O'Reilly.

Impact thoughts - Not a great show, but very good in spots and entertaining as a whole. Ken Anderson is an active detriment to everything he's in. Ditto Morgan.

Nice Boston memorial graphic starts the show. There's entirely too much of Anderson saying words in the opening vid. The Devon-Joseph deal seems to be building up Park as TV champ. I didn't notice it before, but on the replay, Hardy nearly hit his head on the ropes coming off the ladder. Tenay made OFFENDED TENAY FACES again when Taz started talking. The post-show video made the ladder match seem even more important - and that's with it having the second recap of its major events in the first three minutes. Devon met with Garett and Wes in...the circuit breaker section of the clubhouse.

Wes and Garett's handicap match with Angle is starting the show. I love them also no-selling the Aces and 8s costume guy. Great recap of their feud, complete with some nice sepia-toned shots of Angle. They made Wes-Angle seem pretty epic too, which is good because I completely forgot about it. Love Tenay knocking Taz for SPREADING NONSENSE! Tremendous. Angle chucked Wes out to set up the ad break. This Stamps.com ad is pretty darned appealing - it is a pain to head to the post office sometimes. Tenay is super-offended by a low blow. I liked Taz justifying it by saying Kurt's a cyborg. Could've done without them rambling about this low blow for minutes though. Love the ref helping Kurt do a German to both guys. Thanks to the whole gang coming out, the rookies beat Angle. I really dug this. Shield-esque double powerbomb to Angle from Wes and Bischoff. With the Aces taking over the powerbomb spot, maybe their nickname should be the Hounds of Harley. I dug that...goddammit, Anderson is talking. The badass biker is cackling like the Joker.

I love having the X division 3-way guys cut a promo about the match, the new rules of the division, and strategy. It almost makes the title seem important, and if they had a major guy in the division AND ACTUALLY TREATED THE DIVISION LIKE IT MATTERED, it would be a huge step in the right direction. Kenny King's got a new theme that kind of sounds like something they'd give the Godfather. The X Cam debuted, and is very yellow. Also, the ref's got a beanie on. Everything about this looks silly. This camera really brings home all of the excitement of...a guy running, and the ref raising his arms. But more yellow. Petey got the Destroyer 2 minutes in on King, but Ion made the save. Boring chant is here, despite a week of post-production work being possible. I liked Ion's DDT-esque half crab - the ref cam worked here since it focused on Petey's face during the hold he was suffering in. Petey brought his A game here and kicked ass with an outside-in German suplex and springboard rana to the floor. Super-long sharpshooter from Petey gave King the pinfall win once he hit a knee on Petey. Nice finish. Magnus apparently gets a TV Title shot tonight. Great. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY HYPE THIS UP!? It's a chance for TNA to get a title back and they just now bring this up as not only happening tonight, but it's next.

BUY THE DIXIE CARTER FIGURE! It seems a tad odd for a company's President to have the stars and bars on her merchandise. Brooke Hogan and Christy shilled the new KO site. Brooke Hogan then met with Tess and Mickie about stuff. Good God the acting here. Doc and Magnus prevented the TV Title match by attacking Magnus. Knux and Doc hit a nice double chokeslam on the ramp to Magnus before Joe came out. I liked this - it made the Aces seem like cowards when the odds are even, and builds up the eventual TV Title win by Magnus nicely. They came back and recapped the Magnus beating. Joe yelled at the Aces. THEY'RE CHUMPS, NOT CHAMPS! Joe apparently had time to threaten THE POWERS THAT BE during the break and gets a match with Devon tonight. These AJ vids get funnier and funnier with each passing week, largely due to them not editing out the ridiculous shit. They showed their site video of Velvet getting her knee hurt on Impact in the match with Joey as ref. I love the camera focusing on her cleavage as much as possible during this knee injury report.

Tess and Mickie came out, and their match looks like it'll go on without a break during it. They did a dueling collar and elbow before Mickie did the most awkward setup for a cross armbar yet. This went on so long they did a mid-match edit to take out some lulls. This was awful, but entertainingly so. AJ was backstage being all emo with Bad Influence, who sang WE'RE THE BEST FRIENDS ANYONE COULD HAVE! That was great. Then Joseph Park got horribly assaulted by Team 3D and thrown into a shower. Mickie cut a promo basically being an annoying bitch. They recapped the tag title deal from last week, then Bad Influence came out. Work on Bad Influence: The Movie is in production, and Morgan Freeman's in talks to play Dixie. This led to Aries and Roode coming out with Aries saying that if they spent as much time...together as Bad Influence, they'd be a well-lubed machine too, and that they can put all the meat they want in their mouths because he's a vegan. This led to the champs coming out and sending the heels packing. This was odd, but amusing. Joe-Devon is next and for the TV Belt. I liked Kenny King and Gail cutting a promo against the Aces - reminds me of WCW uniting as one against the NWO. They recapped the Magnus attack again. Morgan said more words. He does nothing for me. Joe and Devon actually was a match. Taz said a bunch of stuff while Devon locked a chinlock on. Anderson gave Devon the win thanks to some knux. Brass, not Mike. After the match, they had Anderson do the most cartoonish knux shot in history. It was impossible to take this seriously due to him.

KOs title will be on the line next week, and the former tag champs get their rematch next week. Loved the fat guy in the front row nodding his nead to Storm's theme when he came out. AJ's got black and silver gear and is wearing his leather jacket/hoodie combo. Very natrual evolution here. I loved Tenay saying that these guys were here since day one, and when Taz said so what, he said without them, Taz (and by extension, the other old guys) wouldn't have a job. Tremendous stuff...until Taz buried TNA by saying he was a revolutionary force in another company that made a bigger impact than TNA. I liked AJ being more methodical here - it fit his angrier character. Tenay talking about AJ being shut out of a world title shot until BFG and that stip being set up in November amazed me since they've found a way to give him a bigger role on TV without wrestling and made nearly half of that time fly by. Gorgeous tree of woe dropkick from AJ. This feud has not only helped AJ, but put Storm seamlessly back into main events after being Random KO Tag Partner for a while there. Calf slicer from AJ looked sick and won the match.

Bad Influence came out and got kicked by him - getting a nice sorta pop from the crowd. The Aces came in and beat Storm down, so he left - but didn't seem to see the attack. I love Bad Influence trying to make a save too - everyone on the regular heel side becomes defacto faces, and it all works. Bully cut a fine promo putting the group over, and other than Anderson being a complete goofball and coming off as less of a threat than Wes and Garett due to how silly he's acting, the Aces and 8s came off great here. I loved Doc doing Hogan's ear cup, and Bully giving Taz a shoutout with his JUST ANOTHER VICTIM line. Chael should really do that for his promos, if only to give Lem Denton a shoutout in 2013. Anderson closed the show by giving one of Bad Influence a smack on the ass. Why, I have no idea.

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/sxgl9v12frbho17r37xgg1oyoeyq6hty

I'm pretty sure SMS is on Hulu, but the version of Raw posted there is randomly edited - and not in a "just the good parts" kinda way.

Pride Ref Cam should've stayed retired. Looked sloppy as hell out there. Much more entertaining when it's doing MMA.

It was better than when WCW did it with the refer-eye cam, but yeah, it needs to go. It added nothing except for during the half-crab thing, and that same thing could've been accomplished with a close-up.

[quote name='mykevermin']Of all the things in that cartoon that link the character to Ryback, it's Ryback's perpetual pink eye that makes me lol the hardest.[/QUOTE]

Ha. Nothing a little cat hairball can't remedy.

Thanks. I found the video but Chase is the one clipped it and made it for me.

BTW, I hope it works out for your team to be resurrected. I know how much Seattle fans enjoy their basketball.

As much as I loathed how Hogan ran rampant in the 80's WWF I must say I really miss the mid-card from that era the most.

People keep talking about when WWE "went PG". Sorry, but most of the Attitude Era was flat-out painful to watch. Was wrestling a hot commodity back then? Sure it was; because of that McMahon and the WWF/WWE writers took huge shovels of dog shit and threw it into a fan. They didn't care about decency or good taste.

Was 80's wrestling cartoonish? Sure. Was is hokey? Sure. Do I still love watching it? Absolutely. I like characters; the more outlandish and colorful the better. I simply cannot get myself to get behind a guy that is muscular and fake-Irish, or a guy with tattoos who always looks like someone just woke him up from a nap.

Because the Attitude Era occurred during a viewership spike (Which let's face it was started by WCW; I can admit that and I'm not even a WCW fan) Vince and company keep thinking "Hey, let's reinvent the wheel!"

Gag.

Give me Demolition Vs. The Killer Bees any day of the week and I'll be a happy wrestling fan.

The reason I loved the Attitude Era/Monday Night Wars was the constant unpredictability and entertainment. Nowadays we pretty much know exactly what's going to happen in almost every segment on every show. The who, when, and most importantly the what are all known commodities for the most part in today's wrestling world. TNA has done a pretty good job with this problem recently, they have handled the Bully Ray angle with Brooke/A&8's well enough to where his turn and title win at Lockdown wasn't a complete known ahead of time. But the writing in WWE is so formulaic that it just comes off as everyone going through the motions instead of really being invested in their stories and their own characters. I don't think many people argue that the wrestling quality itself was all that great during the Attitude Era but the shows were a hell of a lot more entertaining then than they are now despite that.

My love for the AE aside, my favorite time in wrestling forever and always will be what I grew up with, the late 80's early 90's WWF (Superstars era I guess it's commonly referred to). I always loved the larger than life personalities, the comic book characters, the good vs. evil dynamic.....wrestling at its finest imo. I also prefer that more grounded less brawler style of wrestling as well. I know a lot of people today look back on that style and say it's boring but I still love it. I can go back and watch old episodes of SNME or Prime Time Wrestling and still enjoy the hell out of them. The one thing I hate is spotfests and today's wrestling can sometimes do too much of this, where the matches look so fake like everyone is doing synchronized swimming shit versus actually having an organic feel and flow to a match. TNA's X division is among the worst of the offenders today, especially now that they are all 3-way matches.....so many overdone spots in these matches so much of the time.

But alas that style is almost completely dead by now so I just go back and watch all the old footage I can and relive the glory days.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']I simply cannot get myself to get behind a guy that is muscular and fake-Irish[/QUOTE]
I'm not a Sheamus fan at all, but how is Sheamus "fake-Irish"? I ask this as an Irishman from and living in Ireland.

Perhaps it's not "fake," but he's an ethnic stereotype that's just a box of lucky charms away from being full-on offensive. He's not the first and he's not the last in WWE, but it's rather annoying to me.

As someone whose family is from Cork (and possibly Galway), but plenty of generations removed. So, you know, you got a lot on me in terms of gravitas. ;)

We used to go wild in the attitude era, especially with ECW; which always seemed like a much bigger federation than it really was.

- The Hogan legdrop (WCW, man that was a crazy night)
- Steve Austin trashing his boss on TV
- Cactus Jack putting on 10 minute headlocks and pissing all the fans off
- Mike Awesome (WCW) jobbing the title to Taz (WWE) at an ECW event
- Lawler's fued with ECW, which was genuinely believeable that he hated the fans. He left some arenas in fear
- People in ECW who really weren't any good, but the crowd was so hype that when Big Dick Dudley, 911, Judge Mike Jones, and other bums showed up/returned it was bigger than Cena
- Wrestlers in various federations being beyond wasted, and still being on TV. Led to some great interviews

You don't see that unpredictability anymore except the post WM Raw. Imagine crowds like that every time.

I apologize if I offended anyone with the "fake irish" comment, wasn't my intention. There's just something about his character that screams to me "Every Irish guy I know would kick your ass if you acted that way in real life"

Yeah everyone boasts about and reminisces the Attitude era, but it's really ECW right before and around that, that was innovating the sport and entertaining the die-hard wrestling fans.

I miss the days of ECdub so much.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Fire Pro Wrestling is coming to the PSN store next week as a PS2 classic.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome!

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Fire Pro Wrestling is coming to the PSN store next week as a PS2 classic.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'll actually play something besides blu-rays on my PS3 finally! :D

Impact was good but I hate the X Division rules. Also, Ken Anderson needs to go.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I haven't played a PS2 game in digital form on PS3. How do the memory cards work? I'm wondering if downloading/transferring edits will be possible.[/QUOTE]

Memory is done by making a virtual memory card, same as is done for ps1 games. If you happen to have old saves on a memory card somewhere you can use an adapter to transfer them.

[quote name='sicsonic']Yeah everyone boasts about and reminisces the Attitude era, but it's really ECW right before and around that, that was innovating the sport and entertaining the die-hard wrestling fans.[/QUOTE]

Though ECW did most of the entertaining, WCW had a really solid cruiserweight division for a long time that kept me watching, and WWE had a good/funny hardcore division.

[quote name='neocisco']Thanks. I found the video but Chase is the one clipped it and made it for me.[/QUOTE]

:)

If you ever want to change it, lemme know. I have been doing tennis GIFs and have routine down pat.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']People keep talking about when WWE "went PG". Sorry, but most of the Attitude Era was flat-out painful to watch. [/QUOTE]

I agree. The Attitude era was just a watered-down version of ECW. "Chainsaw Charlie" for example—tho "Hak" was a bit more offensive. However, WCW began its fall right around when they started their own Hardcore division. Anyway— I had a friend with satellite television, way back when, and we would all gather and watch ECW. Just a side note, but it's interesting to see how the Internet boom has changed everything. And as the resident WCW diehard, I will take this time to say my semiannual "I miss WCW/the wrong company died."

SD -
In summation - Alberto-Swagger was their best match yet and well-worth seeing, the rest was largely skippable. Main event was good, but would've been better in clipped form.

Alberto being a dipshit and wanting a rematch with a bum knee on Raw was recapped, along with THE NEW WORLD CHAMPION jobbing, during the intro vid. Also, Orton and Sheamus overcame the odds in beating one guy. Fandango's girl has a super-hot blue and gold dress on and it's riding quite high. They showed three people pointing their fingers in the air, which constituted FANDANGOING TAKING OVER THE WORLD. Also, FANDANGOING IS NOW BIGGER THAN THE HARLEM SHAKE. Okay, meme dead. WWE has killed it. Fandango has a nasty wound on his right shoulder that is incredibly distracting. As is using "Fandangoing" is a euphemism for fucking. He's rambling on forever about his name...did they shoot an hour of actual programming because the filler is already apparent less than ten minutes into the show. Santino's right arm is now entirely covered in tattoos. Santino is now dancing with a sock puppet on his hand...this is prime time TV. Oh good, Cole's laughing so you know it's REALLY FUNNY. Instead of it taking 20 minutes for a holla holla tag match, it took them TEN MINUTES TO SET UP SANTINO-FANDANGO.

FANDANGO'S ENTRANCE THEME IS TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM. Now they're talking about world championship dancers. Santino is missing kip up as a lot to set up Fandango destroying him. JBL is so bored by this, he's not even trying to get Santaino's name right. Fandango's new finisher is yet another variant on the Complete Shot, only instead of the little boogie he did on Raw a couple of weeks ago, it's basically the Knox Out. Well, that's at least a bit different from Random Mid-Card Finisher #2903. Booker and Teddy are in mid-expositional argument. OH NO. Show is rightfully pissed at Booker for putting him in a handicap match and thankful to Teddy for giving him a partner tonight against TWO MEN. Well, that's valid. Why are the heels being made more sympathetic than faces? Nice recap of Kofi's title win - actually makes the title win seem important. And he's facing Barrett...so at least one champ gets to look weak. TREMENDOUS hype vid for Taker's first match on Raw in three years. Gorgeous shot of he and Team Hell No bathed in smoke. So hyped to see Bryan in the same ring with Taker.

They're talking about the Kofi-Barrett feud being reborn here, and somehow tying that into WWE's site devoted to how great a corporation WWE is. Kofi's character considers Random US Title Win #233 for him to be a bigger deal than HIM MAIN EVENTING WITH RANDY ORTON. TREMENDOUS punt kick to Kofi's ribs on the floor. Cole's talking about his Coke spilling and JBL is mocking him for using a fiber supplement, further making the content on this show seem meaningless. Kofi's landing some shockingly good shots to the ribs - for a guy who mainly does flashy stuff, he's actually able to throw some stuff that looks credible. I love Kofi winning the same way the Kid did against Ted DiBiase - heel got cocky, went for a lazy pin, and he got cradled to lose. It's a shame the Samoan drop used to set it up looked so terrible. The ENTIRE NEW SHEAMUS-HENRY FEUD IS RECAPPED...in like ten seconds since they just did the same spot on two shows. And now Sheamus is lowering himself to the heel's level by attacking him out of nowhere. Wonderful.

Oh goodie, a recap vid for the world title feud they've already recapped. Alberto-Swagger is up with no hype beforehand. Third time this match has happened in two weeks. I love JBL calling Cole out on the idiocy of calling Zeb Jack's founding father. Cole using the phrase "deja vu from Raw" amuses me greatly. They did some moves and went to a break. The show's 50 minutes old and dragging terribly. Swagger stayed in control, DURING THE BREAK ON THE WWE APP. Well, my life feels richer for knowing that. JBL calling this a physical chess match was ALMOST VINTAGE ZBYSKO! This "bad leg" angle would be easier to grasp if both of Alberto's legs weren't wrapped up with some kind of medical device - black supporter for the right, and white bandages for the left.

Yes, yes Jack can say WE THE PEOPLE. Somehow, those three words constitute propoganda to Cole. JBL rightly called him out on that. I like Ricardo chanting along with the forearms to the back before the backstabber. Hot damn, a new method for the armbar! I dig it. Armbar into the ankle lock...and then he just got the ropes. Match might've peaked there. Second Swagger bomb gets countered into a possible kick, leading to a possible ankle lock and counter again. Nice basement superkick from Alberto. This is actaully getting very good, which is more than I can say for their WM match. Sweet rollthrough into the ankle lock into the armbar again, then a cover out of it from Swagger and a cradle wins. Yup, that was worlds better than the WM match. Ryback on Raw will be recapped next.

Outstanding recap of the Ryback deal since it showed Ryback being attacked a bunch and... Cena not helping him like he said. Justifable heel turns are always a lot better, even if this one's a bit shaky due to the needlessly wordy promo. Cena's portion of this would've been better if they'd edited out the "AND WE WERE FRIENDS!" bit since, while it makes sense now given that everyone's a face, they weren't then, so it all seems fake. YAY SHIELD PROMO. Love Rollins doing YOU CAN'T SEE ME and Reigns saying that doesn't work anymore. I love the Shield explaining that Ryback's on their side now due to understanding injustice. Love Ambrose basically saying that beating the Shield is more impressive than 'Taker's streak since that's only at WM, and they're undefeated, period. Cannot believe that on Raw, Jon Moxley, Tyler Black, and Bryan Danielson will be in the ring with 'Taker in what will probably be his final TV match.

Khali's wacky bunch is wrestling. Rosa, Primo, and Epico are their opponents...due to a parking space. Khali in a tiny car seems quite painful. AND WHY WAS HORNSWOGGLE DRIVING when Nattie was there? Cole expositing about Bret Hart and Neidhart is amusing. Everyone bickering over James Brown, James Bond, and Khali's movie history was something. This was a disaster to the degree that Cole apologized for this, begged folks to not turn the channel, and then said this would only happen in WWE. That's quite the burial of the company. Hooray, ANOTHER RECAP FROM THE SHOW THAT MATTERS. Punk's promo did rule though. And now it's time for ANOTHER RAW RECAP - involving Brock. This show is going to die a ratings death judging from the last 15 or so minutes.

WWE SUPERSTARS AND DIVAS SIGNED OVER 50,000 AUTOGRAPHS DURING MANIA WEEKEND. Brock's attacks are so great with JBL narrating them. Brock is amazingly light on his feet still despite age, injuries, and generally not liking pro wrestling. Henry came out and Cole said you had to admire Sheamus for what he did - attacking someone in a cowardly fashion and lowering himself to their level. Outstanding video for the HOF ceremony via digital distribution until MIDNIGHT. A fan has a very non-PG sign with Sheamus's face on a drawn dick. Well, he is a dickhead. I love Show doing Sheamus' over the ropes clubbering, but with overhand chops. I'm digging Sheamus's roll off the missed battering ram with him landing flat-footed - very impressive for a guy his size. Josh saying THERE ARE 17 WORLD TITLES between these four guys really made being a world champ seem meaningless. The longer they linger on Sheamus doing the White Noise on Show, the more evident it is that Show is clasping his hands together to help him. Nice grounded kneelift from Show to Sheamus. I love Show bringing back a cocky cover for the Final Cut. Cole called this AMAZING TAG TEAM WRESTLING. It's fine, but I wouldn't go that far. It's a lot like a mid-'80s AWA match where you'd have Greg Gagne team with some random big name, they'd have a perfectly fine match, that would be it. Show and Sheamus trading shots back and forth rules. Show locking him in a Vulcan nerve pinch rules slightly less, but does work because JBL is talking about it affecting Sheamus's ability to use his right hand. TREMENDOUS face on Sheamus after a back club from Show. Nice high kick from Henry and kneeling DDT from Orton. Chokeslam from Show to Orton wins.

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/0g3el4sg0xi2r4i9q6g1hrc9d2htgf3h

I'm glad FPR is hitting the PS3. I doubt I'll buy it since I've got so much invested in my PS2 version's save, and doubt it'll look any better than playing it on the PS2 with a component cable, but it can reach a whole new audience now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find myself constantly getting annoyed when I see Sheamus and Del Rio. It's not just because I find both of them to be pretty forgettable as faces. When either one of them comes on screen, it feels like WWE is constantly trying to reassert them as being Irish and Mexican respectively.

I think the audience is able to pick up on these things without it being constantly crammed down our throats. With Sheamus, he already has quite a few signature moves. So they naturally decide to have him start using the Texas Cloverleaf, not sure if he uses it anymore. If that move didn't have cloverleaf in its name, there is no way in hell they would have him use it. I'm not even going to get into how his promos cover every single cliche you think about when you think of a "typical Irishman".

It is kind of the same thing with Del Rio. They seemed to flip a switch when they turned him face. All of the sudden, His ring attire is the Mexican flag colors, along with the bucket, Ricardo's bow tie, etc. JBL seems to make an extra effort to include his family heritage during every single match. When he was a heel they would casually mention him being from Mexico. Now that he is a face, they try to shove it down people's throats as much as possible. The only thing that is missing is him wearing a new shirt that says in huge font "DID WE MENTION HE'S FROM MEXICO" (in white, green, and red of course).

Seriously WWE, how fucking unobservant do you think your audience is?

[quote name='mykevermin']As someone whose family is from Cork (and possibly Galway), but plenty of generations removed. So, you know, you got a lot on me in terms of gravitas. ;)[/QUOTE]
Hey, both my parents are from Galway, which means most of my family are from there, Uncles, Aunts, cousins, etc. I'm from Sligo. My wife is American though, from Kentucky. We prefer living in Sligo than Louisville.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']I apologize if I offended anyone with the "fake irish" comment, wasn't my intention. There's just something about his character that screams to me "Every Irish guy I know would kick your ass if you acted that way in real life"[/QUOTE]
Yeah, he does act like a cartoon or something of an Irishman. Like I said, I'm not a fan. I've disliked him from his debut.

Better maybe?

fit-finlay.jpg

[quote name='MisterModest']Hey, both my parents are from Galway, which means most of my family are from there, Uncles, Aunts, cousins, etc. I'm from Sligo. My wife is American though, from Kentucky. We prefer living in Sligo than Louisville.[/QUOTE]

:shock:

I grew up and lived in KY until 3 years ago. Not Louisville, though. Cincinnati-ish, right along the river.

[quote name='mykevermin']:shock:

I grew up and lived in KY until 3 years ago. Not Louisville, though. Cincinnati-ish, right along the river.[/QUOTE]

Oh, come on, KISS ALREADY!

At least Sheamus is Irish, Roddy Piper dressed like a Scotsman and was from Canada. Hell, I have "Scottish heritage" but I don't walk around in a kilt.

[quote name='neocisco']Better maybe?

fit-finlay.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Technically not a real Irishman. He's Northern Irish, not Republic of Ireland Irish. Better than Sheamus, though.

I was just about to post a link to that show Matt.

Edit: That opening match was the shitty bad. Let's just say that both Colt Cabana and Slick Wagner Brown have both had better days.

And wow... that terrorists vs British guy match was AWFUL. Including the botched not shown at all fireball spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't watched wrestling in like 6+ years, but I decided to turn on that free 2cw ppv. Holy crap, the spear that seemed like it missed the ladder.. lol.

[quote name='neocisco']Better maybe?

fit-finlay.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yes although in hindsight, I don't think WCW had any idea what they had on their hands with him. He was wasted in their hardcore division and midcard. His run near the top of WWE several years ago was really well done. I remember JBL selling him exquisitely.

[quote name='Halo05']Yes although in hindsight, I don't think WCW had any idea what they had on their hands with him. He was wasted in their hardcore division and midcard. His run near the top of WWE several years ago was really well done. I remember JBL selling him exquisitely.[/QUOTE]

Replace WCW with any other promotion, identify a solid European brawler that was misused, lather, rinse, repeat.

WWE never did much in front of the camera with Regal, despite knowing how useful he was behind the scenes (and also how incredibly quick and unique his wry sense of humor is). WWE with Cesaro currently; TNA with Magnus, WWF with Dynamite Kid, etc.

Hell, after awhile Finlay's "I'm Irish and I like to fight" thing fell by the wayside in favor of a Leprechaun and a fucking shillelagh. Sheamus may be a big Irish stereotype, but Finlay's WWE run was the beta test.

It almost seems that if you're European, big time wrestling won't know what to do with you. The fact that very, very, very few people (if any) would consider Doug Williams one of the finest technical wrestlers of the 00's is, to me, criminal (and I often forget how good he is in the ring, so I'm no exception).

[quote name='bg88']I find myself constantly getting annoyed when I see Sheamus and Del Rio. It's not just because I find both of them to be pretty forgettable as faces. When either one of them comes on screen, it feels like WWE is constantly trying to reassert them as being Irish and Mexican respectively.

I think the audience is able to pick up on these things without it being constantly crammed down our throats. With Sheamus, he already has quite a few signature moves. So they naturally decide to have him start using the Texas Cloverleaf, not sure if he uses it anymore. If that move didn't have cloverleaf in its name, there is no way in hell they would have him use it. I'm not even going to get into how his promos cover every single cliche you think about when you think of a "typical Irishman".

It is kind of the same thing with Del Rio. They seemed to flip a switch when they turned him face. All of the sudden, His ring attire is the Mexican flag colors, along with the bucket, Ricardo's bow tie, etc. JBL seems to make an extra effort to include his family heritage during every single match. When he was a heel they would casually mention him being from Mexico. Now that he is a face, they try to shove it down people's throats as much as possible. The only thing that is missing is him wearing a new shirt that says in huge font "DID WE MENTION HE'S FROM MEXICO" (in white, green, and red of course).

Seriously WWE, how fucking unobservant do you think your audience is?[/QUOTE]

Unobservant? Are you also speaking for the Irish and Mexican audiences?

[quote name='mykevermin']:shock:

I grew up and lived in KY until 3 years ago. Not Louisville, though. Cincinnati-ish, right along the river.[/QUOTE]

/holding down the Louisville area on behalf of the wrestling thread regulars :D

Saw this on The Rock's Facebook:

Saw my doctor who had to push my intestines back thru the tear in my lower abdomen.

Fun.

Surgery scheduled next week. Lets roll.. #BringItOn

935082_10151668656914384_751260422_n.jpg

Spoiler'd the pic since it's kind of big. I doubt he'll be coming back to WWE after this since it only jeopardizes his movie career.

Since you mentioned The Rock: Who will today's audience be nostalgic for and anticipate appearing every few years?

Perspective: The Rock's entire career spans eight years. John Cena has been in WWE for 11(!) years and has been doing the same old shit for seven years.

Good lord. What the fuck.

[quote name='Chase']Since you mentioned The Rock: Who will today's audience be nostalgic for and anticipate appearing every few years?

Perspective: The Rock's entire career spans eight years. John Cena has been in WWE for 11(!) years and has been doing the same old shit for seven years.

Good lord. What the fuck.[/QUOTE]

Let's see..

Christian. We are nostalgic for him right now. Where is he and what is he doing? Don't try to tell me they really don't need him now because they do. Even with me not being a huge Christian fan, I do realize the guy is a damn good worker and can only boost the current product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back