The "WWE doesn't use 'Wrestling' anymore, so TNA is #1 by default" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Show's knockout punch finisher now has an official name - he's calling it the "WMD", or "Weapon of Mass Destruction".

Smh.

[quote name='mykevermin']Rock vs Cena will be the second to last match for the night at WM28.

Luke vs Laura in a steel motherfucking cage will end the show.[/QUOTE]

Funniest fucking thing Ive read all week!

Needed some help if at all possible, next weekend my friends and I are going to have a drinking game to one of the old Royal Rumble matches, since I'm the biggest fan we had to kinda operate around which one I didn't know much about. So, could one of you send PM me a list of the 30 participants in the 2002 Rumble, not letting me know who wins or order of elimination. Thanks ahead of time guys!

So I got WWE Allstars today and I noticed that the word "wrestling" is nowhere on the packaging or in the game other than audio clips saying "world wrestling federation", and in World Wrestling Entertainment in the copyright info. So sad.

Al Snow
Albert
Big Boss Man
Big Show
Billy
Booker T
Bradshaw
Christian
Chuck
Diamond Dallas Page
Faarooq
Godfather
Goldust
Hurricane
Jeff Hardy
Kane
Kurt Angle
Lance Storm
Matt Hardy
Maven
Mr. Perfect
Perry Saturn
Rikishi
Rob Van Dam
Scotty 2 Hotty
Steve Austin
Test
Triple H
Undertaker
Val Venis

[quote name='xilly']So I got WWE Allstars today and I noticed that the word "wrestling" is nowhere on the packaging or in the game other than audio clips saying "world wrestling federation", and in World Wrestling Entertainment in the copyright info. So sad.[/QUOTE]

That's not very surprising considering that even prior to their press release they didn't use the term very much. This press release is just calling that much more attention to something that was quietly being impltemented for a while.

[quote name='mykevermin']Aww, motherfuck.[/QUOTE]
Damn, they weren't kidding about it being a soap opera. What's next, HHH goes into a coma and Stephanie ends up having an affair with his doctor, who turns out to be HHH's long lost brother?

Hopefully the new hire is able to actually construct some good, long-running storylines. Although after hearing how the writers are treated in many pre-Mania audio shows, I doubt that'll actually happen.

Angle took like 15 different bumps to his head in the span of like five minutes and no sold everything. :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']Did he really? That's pretty funny.[/QUOTE]

Yup. He even did the stalking thing without the arm pounding. Funny thing was Taz and Tenay were kinda speechless for a sec until they said Angle was always breaking out new moves.

:rofl:

Sign in the crowd saying "Who Writes This Crap?" right at the end of that title match.

Sting retained the title. Hogan gave RVD a pipe. RVD flung it. Anderson hit RVD in the back. Sting then scorpion death dropped Anderson from behind for the win.

After the match Hogan and Sting exchanged words building up... yeah.... Sting vs Hogan for the title.

Jim-Cornette-fuck-this-company.jpg

[quote name='TheRock88']Yup. He even did the stalking thing without the arm pounding. Funny thing was Taz and Tenay were kinda speechless for a sec until they said Angle was always breaking out new moves.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what an infant. He goes on bitching everyone stole his moves THEN claims someone hacked his twitter (which we all knew was bullshit anyway) and now he's using other's moves? What a fucking doofus.

Here's to hoping Punk has something amusing to say about it soon on his twitter feed.

Fortune (or is it Fourtune) won the Lethal Lockdown match. For an clusterfuck match it wasn't too bad and leagues better then what I saw on this PPV.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']Glad someone admitted that they got the joke.[/QUOTE]

I got it but it wasn't funny.

;)

Really, though, I always found Robert Scorpio to be the steady draw of that era.

;)

[quote name='neocisco']I got it but it wasn't funny.

;)

Really, though, I always found Robert Scorpio to be the steady draw of that era.

;)[/QUOTE]

Mom?

Y'all are consistently more entertaining than what passes as wrestling these days.

I liked the one with the witch and the midget. Passions? When the midget turned heel, however, and revealed that they were the general manager of One Life to Live...fuck, I marked out hard, man.

[quote name='JP']Drinking game based around Royal Rumble....I am intrigued by this idea.[/QUOTE]

We are each drawing 6 wrestlers and every time one of your guys gets eliminated you do a shot. This is of course after we have already done a bit of drinking before hand.

myke - PBR.... lord no. Maybe if it was Miller High Life

I finally got around to watching ROH's last show on HDNet. They did several good montages and had only one match for the entire show but it was a great one. Davey Richards and The Briscoes vs. Roderick Strong and the Kings of Wrestling. I'm not usually a fan of 6-man tags but this match was excellent. Do yourself a favor and watch the show. Davey gets in a particularly good line at the 49:00 mark. Enjoy.

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=CX10K9FF

Indeed it was a sad night watching that final ROH on HDNet show. Yes there is much to be proud of that we did get in the two years of the HDNet show as the video packages showed. On the other hand it felt like the run on HDNet came to a close way too soon. I do hope ROH eventually gets some kind of TV show on a more available network. We really need a wrestling company on mainstream TV that actually treats wrestling fans with respect - something that both the WWE and TNA completely fail at for different reasons.

Monday nights at least to me won't be the same.

[quote name='davo1224']Treats wrestling fans with respect? The same people who can't spell Austin?[/QUOTE]

Those are WWE fans, not wrestling fans.

anyone see the tna ppv... angle almost broke his neck again... flair isn't good for anything but bleeding... and daniels had the best spot in the match. and the tna title match sucked.

I thought the three main matches were pretty good, and some of the better PPV matches in over a year.

[quote name='neocisco']Those are WWE fans, not wrestling fans.[/QUOTE]

And what of the all rednecks that created WCW's core audience for so long?

The ECW fans?

Sometimes the amount of stuff they expect fans to deal with is ludicrous (Vince death angle) but Vince isn't too far off in thinking he needs to herp-derp his fanbase.

Point...missed. See post #133 for the appropriate response to my post.

No one is equating wrestling fans with the refined viewers of Masterpiece Theatre (that was for you, myke).

[quote name='neocisco']No one is equating wrestling fans with the refined viewers of Masterpiece Theatre (that was for you, myke).[/QUOTE]

But there's gotta be an untapped market for snooty sophisticated people that also like wrestling.:cool:

Edit:I had more to add to that but couldn't find anything that sounded good. My brain is like mush right now.

World Wrestling Entertainment has hired Tom Cassielo, who won several Daytime Emmys for his writing on As The World Turns, for their creative team.

Cassielo has spent the last decade working on different soap operas, including holding a stint as Associate Head Writer of Days of Our Lives, as well as positions with One Life to Live and The Young & The Restless.
[quote name='mykevermin']Aww, motherfuck.[/QUOTE]

They'll make a major acquisition and bring back this guy.

tve74599-19880829-1877.jpg

Alright boys, this is wrestling, not that action soap opera stuff you've been watchin' on the TV.

Taz was THE MAN on this show. Undercard stuff that had no build because...well, TNA had to spend their 2 hours a week building up a few feuds with too much complexity and then didn't do shit for the other stuff, but Taz saved stuff like the wacky 4-way tag with his commentary. I'm guessing that EY the brain-damaged guy, being confused about the rules of the match was a rib by the writers to say that if fans can't understand their rules, they're as stupid as EY. Or I'm just putting way too much thought into it. X Division opener was perfectly fine. This division is just nothing right now, with only a few people having defined characters, and one of those being a copycat from pop culture and a guy who spends as much time medidating on the apron as he does in the ring. Jay Lethal went from making Ric Flair submit via a figure four in Flair's TNA PPV debut to being a non-factor in the Lockdown opener. Goddamn did they fuck him up. Again. For the billionth time.

Bischoff's promo served no purpose, and why the fuck does Eric Bischoff, in his mid-50s, decide that NOW is the time to get ink on his arm? It looks ridiculous. Sure, it's not as stupid as Mike Graham getting both arms done, but still - ugh. And Taz putting over the shape Eric's in while he's in a bland shirt with his skinny arms and less of a gut than usual showing was just odd. Steiner's promo and Taz's commentary were the highlights of the 4-way tag. Perfectly fine match, but nothing was on the line - not even number 1 contendership for the tag titles, so it felt more like a nothing match after like one minute of total build on TV over the past month between the Brits reforming (and boy has that ever been a smashing success). Taz saying that EY's belt meant nothing was great because it worked on the level that yeah, it's an old belt with nothing behind it, but it's also how TNA treats every title in the company most of the time. Mickie-Madison was really short due to Mickie's injury, but probably better for it, as Mickie came off like a world-beater because just beat the shit out of Madison for 30 seconds, hit the big DDT and won. It felt like a very satisfying conclusion to their story, so hopefully they don't go back to it anytime soon. I liked Pope-Joe a lot. This wasn't a classic, but both Joe and Pope looked motivated and they were given enough time to have a good match - both Pope and Joe's best in a while. I loved that Joe actually got to win at all, and then winning with the choke was even better. Of course, three years ago, he was main eventing this very PPV and drew the company its highest buyrate ever...and now he's in the mid-card. Oh well, once Hogan and Bischoff bail, maybe he'll get a proper push a again. Until then, I'll be happy if he just winds up being the TV champ.

Minus the long Vulcan nerve pinch section, Hernandez-Morgan was better than I was expecting, which was basically nothing given that these two had no chemistry as partners and less as rivals. If Hernandez hates America so much, why does his gear have a Texas state flag on it? Sure, he's from there, and it's a border state, but with the anti-America gimmick, it seems odd.

I questioned the wisdom of making Angle-Jarrett a 2/3 falls on the go-home show, and while doing it on that show was stupid, it did make the match better because every section flowed nicely into the other. The first fall was worked like a submission match and not a cage match, while the second fall mixed it up, and the third fall was worked strictly as an escape the cage match, so the 3 falls structure was a huge help because it would seem disjointed to do everything they did here in just a one fall match. The match as a whole was AWESOME, even with the goofy rules causing stuff like the ref counting falls in the submission-only portion of the match or counting both guys down in the pinfall-only section hurting it a bit. Jarrett busted out some great stuff in the submission section, like the cross armbeaker, which Angle turned seamlessly into the ankle lock. I so wanted to recreate that in a video game the second I saw that. Plus, it only took ONE ANKLE LOCK to win. I think that might be the first non-squash match in the past decade where that's happened. And Taz's bit after the fall begging Mike to say ANYTHING was fantastic. Angle using the RKO during the pinfall portion was hilarious, although it looked considerably worse than his earlier Tito Santana flying forearm smash. Taz and seemingly the ref's confusion over whether or not the ref actually counted three for the second fall was something else. Funny, but also momentum-hurting since you didn't really know what was going on until JB made the announcement. It was an anti-climatic finish as a result of that.

The third fall was nuts. The super frankensteiner spot was crazy in theory, and looked terrible in execution. The powerbomb setup was perfect, but I think the cage was too close for Angle to do the backflip properly, so he kind of landed like he would've if Jarrett countered it by throwing him on his stomach, and Jarrett took the bump off of basically nothing. Angle recreating the finish with Anderson by teasing leaving, and then doing more stuff was a little bit of a copout since they did it last year, but damn is he ever nuts. I really don't need to ever see him fly off a cage again - if I want to see it, I've got DVDs with that on there. And then the camera fucking missed the landing of it, which looked screwed up in some way, with either Jarrett being too close or Angle jumping out too far. I liked Karen getting involved at the finish and swinging the door at Angle, sure it's been done a thousand times since '83, but at least this was in one of the main matches on the show and fit the storyline perfectly.

The world title three way was nothing. They did stuff for minutes, someone would just stand around for no reason because it's a cage match and they can't just stay on the floor and sell pain, they did some wacky Nova-riffic contrived bullshit and Sting won after Anderson, number 2/3 face in the company, beat RVD with a pipe, but it's okay because he did it for himself and not Hogan. I'm not sure how being a selfish asshole is better than being aligned with Hogan, but whatever. Sting won. Sting as a guy who just does special attraction matches is fine because he's got enough left to do an okay 5-10 minute match, but he can't go at a world title-level. He'd be better used as a tag team title guy who can team with a faster young guy, like AJ, although AJ as a 30 year old father of 3 doesn't exactly scream "young guy", but someone who carry the bulk of the load who needs the rub, and then Sting can just do his signature spots and everyone winds up happy. Instead, they're building to Hogan-Sting in 2011. The match drew ONCE in 1997. ONCE. That's it. And they fucked it up then by doing a super-long match when they should've done a short one. Now, if they do it, it'll be even worse because even though they'll have to do the super-short match they should've done then, Hogan can't bump for a Scorpion anything, not even a fingerpoke, and Sting getting his super-quick win to rid the world of the vile Hogan/Bischoff regime doesn't mean a goddamn thing because it's 13 years past the time of it being relevant. Sting-Flair, in the right building, at the right show, for the world title, could be something though. I think they could actually draw with that match on PPV for the title if it was in Flair country.

Lethal Lockdown was really good and pretty fast-paced even with guys like Bully Ray and Abyss in it. Laughed at Flair not only of course blading as soon as possible, but also because the camera caught him grabbing the blade and putting it to his head - all we missed was the swipe. Fortune as a group doing the BEER! MONEY! spot ruled. Abyss's bump on the steps looked like it hurt a ton. Kaz poking at Matt Hardy with a kendo stick was a hilarious visual. Flair bled like crazy here, even by his standards, and it was sad to see his face and chest covered in blood while his arms just looked so old and wrinkly by his side. Daniels diving off the top of the cage to the floor onto Abyss and Hardy was just insane, especially knowing that Hardy had to do it with a fractured arm. Thank God nothing went awry there because it very easily could have. Hell, HHH missed 'Taker on his dive just a couple of weeks ago and that was far less risky than this. Daniels also seems to be turning into TNA's version of Shelton, where he's only useful for them by diving off of high things, ala Shelton and his annual one showcase match running up and falling off of ladders. I loved that Bully Ray is such a bully that he was even ordering Flair around - that's a good way to get his act over in very little time, although it is a bit direspectful to Flair. AJ's return was nice. Would have liked it if he SOLD SOMETHING. Instead, he's moving around just fine - did the Pele kick perfectly. Whatever. Why even bother doing the fucking angle if you're not gonna sell the actual injury that was supposed to have happened from it? Flair being beaten by a Fujiwara armbar was a good way to write him off in the ring so his rotator cuff can heal, but came out of nowhere. It makes sense to have Flair lose this if you've got Fortune winning, but at least set up that Roode DOES THE MOVE AT ALL, or better yet, have him score a win with it on TV, before you do it as a finish in a PPV main event.

Screens -

MID-LIFE CRISIS (clap clap clap clap)

All this for 15,000 buys

Quotes -

Taz - He’s still got the Gi on. Or robe. Whatever yoga people wear.
Tenay - I’ve never heard of yoga people wearing a Gi.
Taz - Well, this might surprise you - but I don’t do much yoga. I’ll take the guy in white.
Tenay - I like your chances.
Hemme - Scott, you’re going in there against 3 other teams. Have you had a
Steiner - EVALUATING!? EVALUATING FOR PUNK-ASSES! I’M GONNA EVLUATE HOW MY FIST IS GONNA HIT THEIR FACE AND KNOCK THEIR TEETH DOWN THEIR THROATS! THEY AIN’T GONNA HAVE KOBE BRYANT ON THEIR ASS! BUT THEN I’D APPEAR TO BE INSENSITIVE! THEN I’D APPEAR TO NOT BE POLITICALLY CORRECT! BUT THEN THEY’D THINK MY MIND WOULD BE IN THE GUTTER, SO I’M NOT GONNA TALK ABOUT THAT! I’M GONNA TALK ABOUT CINCINATTI! I K NOW CINCINATTI! Cincinnati’s a tough town and it’s full of tough people! Crimson’s got a black eye and big nose! WE’RE GONNA GIVE CINCINNATI WHAT THEY WANT AND KICK SOMEBODY’S ASS!
Taz - That looks like a Tarzan-type of situation Orlando’s got on there and Eric Young wearing a title that means nothing. Eric is not the champion of nothing. It’s an old TNA title he found somewhere or something. Mike, tag in.
Taz - Shannon’s trying to get Steiner to blow his cork, which isn’t easy to do. Should say, isn’t hard to do.
Taz - Eric Young takes his shorts off…and that’s just awkward. That’s like the Bengals thing right? Sorry to all the Bengals fans out there.
Tenay - ERIC YOUNG WITH THE SPEEDO MISSILE DROPKICK OFF THE TOP!
Taz - I’m begging ya - put the big black britches back on. AND DON’T POINT THE CAMERA UP!
Taz - Eric Young climbing up.
Tenay - That’s now how ya win the match.
Taz - I know, but it’s funny watching him climb up there in his underwear.
Taz - She’s got like her own little barber’s kit there. Looks like a beautician! Pedicure, manicure, nailacure? What’s the deal with the hands?
Tenay - I don’t know, but you sound way too familiar with that.
Taz - It’s my wife!
Morgan - It is what it is. Hernandez has been nothing but one big fat thorn in my ass! So the way I see it, is tonight, TONIGHT I’M ANNOUNCING THAT THE BLUEPRINT IS GOING BACK ON TRACK! THE BLUEPRINT IS GOING BACK TO WHERE HE BELONGS. GOING AFTER THE WORLD TITLE, BUT FIRST, I GOTTA GO THROUGH SHAWN HERNANDEZ. SHAWN, YOU WANNA BITCH ABOUT HOW BAD AMERICA IS AND HOW GREAT MEXICO IS!? GREAT! CONGRATS, I’VE GOT YOUR FINAL SOLUTION RIGHT HERE. I’LL CARBON FOOTPRINT THAT BIG FOOTBALL HEAD OF YOURS BACK TO MEXICO!
Hernandez - HERE’S MY POCKET, MATT, YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT!
Taz - Hernandez using something he pulled out of his pocket. When Christy was interviewing him, he was talking about pockets, empty pockets, I don’t know what he’s talking about.
Tenay - And I was hoping you’d translate.
Taz - Gotta give the devil his due there. Jarrett had a good showing for himself, showing some submissions. Putting some holds on. Mike? Opinion? No? Yes? You agree? Don’t agree? Taz, you’re an idiot, Taz, I love you? Something? Anything? I’m begging ya.
Tenay - I was surprised at the proficiency of Jarrett’s submission moves.
Taz - ULTRA MALE RULES!
Taz - I wonder what Karen Angle, the current wife of that man Jeff Jarrett is thinking now.
Tenay - Karen Jarrett…
Taz - Karen Jarrett, I’m sorry.
Tenay - HE’S GOT THE TRUNKS!
Taz - DID HE GET IT!? He did? He didn’t? I think he got it.
Tenay - That was like a suplex clinic, right?
Taz - Ya almost said suplex machine…
Tenay - I was gonna say no one would know better than you.
Taz - Bad scene here.
Anderson - ARE THERE ANY ASSHOLES IN THIS BUILDING TONIGHT!?
Tenay - ANDERSON USES THE PIPE!
Anderson - IT WASN’T FOR YOU, IT WAS FOR ME!
Tenay - ICEPICK!
Taz - Storm’s loading up on beers.
Flair - OH fuck!
Tenay - Flair is covered in blood.
Taz - Looks like he got shot with a bazooka.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently Angle's twitter got "hacked" again.

OH IT'S REAL, IT'S DAMN REAL.

You know... both Angle and Orton are ripping off John "Johnny Ace" Laurinaitis. For that matter... so is Homicide and half the world. The entire "stealing signature moves" bitch-wave is moronic. I used to have a lot of respect for Angle, even considering him as one of the best in the world. But he's totally killing his legacy with his Twitter "hacks", abysmal films, and mindless interviews. The guy needs to hang'em up... or seek professional mental health assistance. I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see him pull a Benoit.

I bet Ken Anderson was watching the monitor in the back during that moment and thinking "... yeah, right in his ass!". That wasn't verbatim, obviously, but I just didn't feel like typing out 'asshole' 20 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back