Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I go into the thrift stores I half-halfheartedly expect to find a SNES and I'm never not disappointed. Today was certainly no exception. Meh.

Got a copy of Dragon Age Origins (PS3) for $15 that still has the code insert inside. Anyone know how to check if the code has been activated without actually activating it?

Alright. I thought I made out pretty well today, but after having just checked Video Game Price Charts(www.vgpc.com ) I realized I left behind two supposed $30 PS1 games(Silent Bomber, Mortal Kombat Trilogy).

They were only $5 too.:bomb:

I did, however, pick up the following(for $5 each):

Deception III: Dark Delusion
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Fear Effect(all four discs AND manual are there)
Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker

I'm kinda kicking myself over leaving those two games mentioned above though, but I thought I was spending too much on each of the ones I did buy already.

Oh well...

I got a pretty great N64 controller for $1.91. Not an impressive haul in the slightest, but convenient nonetheless since I needed one. Except I just realized it has "SHIT" written on it in black marker. Hah.

They also had a digital Etch-a-Sketch that I had no idea such a thing existed, and it looked pretty gnarly.

[quote name='Survivalism']I got a pretty great N64 controller for $1.91. Not an impressive haul in the slightest, but convenient nonetheless since I needed one. Except I just realized it has "SHIT" written on it in black marker. Hah.

They also had a digital Etch-a-Sketch that I had no idea such a thing existed, and it looked pretty gnarly.[/QUOTE]

A black expo marker and alcohol will get rid of it :p

[quote name='Alex2290']A black expo marker and alcohol will get rid of it :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got a can of Goof Off on hand at all times.

Pretty interesting week of finds...

Today (Not technically thrift stores):

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis (PSX) - Complete w/ Dino-Crisis demo, no-GH, and near-mint - $5
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX) - GH, but complete and MINT - $5
Beautiful Katamari (x2) - Mostly complete, from closing Movie Gallery - $12/each
A ton of non-sport Genesis games for $1

And the disturbing find of the week: A few days ago I was perusing the clearance holiday section at a local thrift store, where they had some leftover Halloween decorations. Among them were several severed appendages. I picked up what appeared to be a severed arm and was surprised by the realistic weight and feel to it. I turn it over and see the company name to made it and threw it down. The company? Doc Johnson. If you don't know what Doc Johnson is, Google it. I immediately went out to my car and scrubbed my hands with sanitizer.

[quote name='sp00ge']
And the disturbing find of the week: A few days ago I was perusing the clearance holiday section at a local thrift store, where they had some leftover Halloween decorations. Among them were several severed appendages. I picked up what appeared to be a severed arm and was surprised by the realistic weight and feel to it. I turn it over and see the company name to made it and threw it down. The company? Doc Johnson. If you don't know what Doc Johnson is, Google it. I immediately went out to my car and scrubbed my hands with sanitizer.[/QUOTE]

I just Googled it.:puke:

[quote name='sp00ge']And the disturbing find of the week: A few days ago I was perusing the clearance holiday section at a local thrift store, where they had some leftover Halloween decorations. Among them were several severed appendages. I picked up what appeared to be a severed arm and was surprised by the realistic weight and feel to it. I turn it over and see the company name to made it and threw it down. The company? Doc Johnson. If you don't know what Doc Johnson is, Google it. I immediately went out to my car and scrubbed my hands with sanitizer.[/QUOTE]

Well, THAT made my day. I wonder how many people tried it on in the dressing room.

This is what I picked up the past couple days:

GB Pokemon Yellow Special Pikachu Edition
GB Pokemon Red
GB Jurassic Park The Lost World
$7.99 + tax for all 3

SNES Jimmy Connors Tennis $2.09

N64 Mario Kart 64 $2.98
N64 WaveRace 64 $2.98
N64 Duke Nukem $2.98

Sega Saturn Robotica CIB (disc is mint, but case is falling apart) $2.23
Sega Saturn Three Dirty Dwarves manual and back cover art -free :)

Atari Flashback 2 complete $12.49 + tax

scratched silver Nintendo Gamecube with AC adapter $4.99 + tax (it does work)
Nintendo N64/Gamecube A/V cable $1.99 + tax
Nintendo Gamecube AC adapter $1.99 + tax
Brand new factory-sealed Sega Dreamcast Performance Memory Card $6

I'm hoping to find more Sega Saturn games in the future. It seems more people are donating this stuff out.

Genesis - Toe Jam & Earl (case, art, and cart) $2.99 at Goodwill

A handful of Saturn games I passed on too. All complete, but the cases are beat up. Robotica, Daytona, PGA Tour, Last Gladiator Pinball, NHL 94, Undead 13, Mansion Of Hidden Souls. Don't know if any of those are worth anything, they wanted $5 each.

I saw some lady at the Volunteers tonight pushing a cart around with a PSX and a Genesis 2 in it. I don't know about the Genesis, but the PSX had a price on it of $4.94. I was pretty bummed, I clearly only missed them by a few minutes. I briefly toyed with the idea of kicking her in the shins and grabbing it. She didn't need it, what was she going to use a PSX for? They've also had the same copy of NBA Live 97 for Sega Saturn for about three months.

There's also a drum kit there with no price on it. I'm tempted to go back tomorrow and see if I can get it for $3.

my 3 Goodwills always have at least 3 playstations on the shelf. at one point there was 9 sitting there not selling for $8 apiece. These things are basically worthless when PS2s and PS3s play those games and even up the visuals

[quote name='juangrande386']my 3 Goodwills always have at least 3 playstations on the shelf. at one point there was 9 sitting there not selling for $8 apiece. These things are basically worthless when PS2s and PS3s play those games and even up the visuals[/QUOTE]

I had a stack of the damn things from a local shop. They were piled in the corner of the store and I asked the owner about them. He offered me them for $1 each whether or not they worked. Thing is, all of them powered up 100%, but 1-3 out of the six I bought needed replacement lasers.

So for like $6 I got three working systems and three I was going to part out if people needed a piece here or there. Of course, that never happened and I almost made a video Office Space style with me taking a hammer to them for the hell of it.

today's goodwill finds

Final Fantasy VII for $1.99 its in pretty rough shape but all the discs play
Zelda Ocarina N64 $5

my store also has about 5 PS1's that have been sittin for a while, i need to find a ps2, the disc drawer on mine slides out extremely slowly.

Latest pickup
Complete sega Saturn with the box - 24.99
Nike Jordan xi silver lows - 7.99 pretty much brand new
suikoden 3 - 7.99 no scratches
sealed Japanese metal gear solid ps2 - 7.99
NARC nes - .99

Do you guys think the saturn is a little bit expensive?

Latest shennanigans:

4GB Sandisk Micro SD card: $5
8GB Sandisk Micro SD card: $5
HDMI Cable: $3

Awesome find:

Motorola DVR: $5 (Works and everything).

Oh, and I got a lite-brite cube for $2 = D
Includes all the lil pegs and sheets and everything. Never saw one in a cube shape before.

[quote name='yoyo1316']Latest pickup
Complete sega Saturn with the box - 24.99
Nike Jordan xi silver lows - 7.99 pretty much brand new
suikoden 3 - 7.99 no scratches
sealed Japanese metal gear solid ps2 - 7.99
NARC nes - .99

Do you guys think the saturn is a little bit expensive?[/QUOTE]

Eh, not that expensive. I paid $30 for mine, and it didn't come in an original box. Did come with a sweet official rental case, though. Do video rental places still rent out systems?

Anyway, it's really about how much you'll enjoy it, if you're not buying to resell. If you're gonna get $25 worth of enjoyment out of it, then it's totally worth that much.

$25 for a boxed Saturn is definately worth it to keep for anyone wanting one.

The only one I've ever seen CIB in the wild around my area I see year after year at a yardsale for (IIRC) $40 with little to no room to haggle and that wouldn't be a bad price at the right place (as in not at a yardsale :D)

mms_picture.jpg

I decided to go to a few Goodwills around town on half-price day hoping to find something good.

When I walked in the door I noticed 2 stacks of Genesis games in the front case that weren't there last time I was there. I ignored them because generally the Genesis games are $3 which is too high for me. In the back of the store I found this Genesis with no cables or controllers. It was unmarked so I asked the man restocking the shelves and he said $5 which is surprisingly low. Since I have the console now I decided I might as well look the games too. I asked the little old lady at the cash register how much the games cost and she said "Oh just $.50 each." There were 10 so I bought them all. Since it was half price day I ended up getting a Genesis and 10 games for $5! I was pretty happy.

The games are:
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Mortal Kombat
NHLPA Hockey 93
Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing
Altered Beast
WWF Super Wrestlemania
Joe Montana Football
Cyberball
Bill Walsh College Football
Jurassic Park

That's a pretty sweet haul! I've never seen Gensisis games that cheap, in fact one of the goodwills around me started pricing Atari games @ $4 a pop... I'm still shocked. (Although, I think that might just be standard prizing for video games across the board. I got Katamari Damancy a couple weeks ago from that store for $4)

[quote name='KillerRamen']That's a pretty sweet haul! I've never seen Gensisis games that cheap, in fact one of the goodwills around me started pricing Atari games @ $4 a pop... I'm still shocked. (Although, I think that might just be standard prizing for video games across the board. I got Katamari Damancy a couple weeks ago from that store for $4)[/QUOTE]

I was really surprised when she told me. I don't think she really knew their price especially since they were cartridge only. Almost every game I've seen is $3 which is usually Playstation, orginal Xbox and Genesis. There were some Saturn games next to them and now I wish I would have asked her how much those were too.

I went to a thrift store that sells games that sells games at $2 a disc. I found Baldur's Gate 2 and I haggled it for $5 even though it had 4 discs inside.

I picked up the following this week:

2 official N64 controllers (1 gray, 1 purple; both in great condition) $7.49
This was mismarked for $22.99 then the Goodwill cashier lady changed it to $9.49, but I still hesitated then she finally dropped the price to $7.49 with manager approval.

SNES Toy Story complete $1.99 (marked as housewares-what?!)

Dreamcast Shenmue complete (disc 1 is scratched up, but the other 3 discs are mint) $4.99 + tax

Dreamcast Crazy Taxi 2 complete (disc is mint) $4.99 + tax

today i found
xbox 360 universal remote - 2.18
apple bluetooth keyboard A1016 - 9.00

not really from the thrift store, but while I was at the store in front of me there was a kid buying a indigo gamecube with controller, but no cables for 15 bucks, and it had zelda windwaker in it and i offered him $5, he countered 7 and we settled on $6 (disc is in pristine condition)

I found Final Fantasy VIII today for $6.99 greatest hits and in great condition, also Diddy Kong racing n64 for $3.99

Goodwill just made my day. Found a sealed copy of Pokemon: HeartGold for the DS, minus the Pokewalker, for $20. My Grandma came in the store while I was in line and because she was a senior, the woman I talk to regularly there gave me an extra 10% off. Ended up being $19 and change after tax.:mrgreen:

good score a the goodwill today

Dreamcast system with 2 controllers
Pelican hard plastic carry case
Shenmue
Rayman 2
Tomb Raider last Revelation
NFL2K
NFL blitz 2000
Star wars pod racer
NBA 2k
all for the grand total of $23.74, i've been wanting one of these systems, this one had been marked down from $39.99 and had been there for a couple of weeks.

ok not exactly thrift store finds, but this guy that works there knows i like games so he brought these:

NES
The adventure of link CIB
Super Mario Bros. CIB
Castlevania CIB
Metriod
Bionic Commando
Willow
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde w. instructions
Adventures of Lolo
Hogan's Alley
Bubble Bobble w/ instructions
The Simpsons Bart vs. the Space Mutants
The Addams Family
M.C. Kids
Sesame Street ABC
Pac-man (Tengen black cartridge)
3 plastic nintendo sleeves (in addition to the ones in the boxes)
NES advantage
Nintendo Double Player system CIB

Super Nintendo
Porky Pigs Haunted Holiday

Genesis
Ecco the Dolphin w/ box
Phantasy Star II w/ box
The Simpsons Bart's Nightmare CIB
Mortal Kombat CIB
Robocop versus the Terminator CIB
Pacmania tengen CIB
Cool Spot w/ box (already have it but he threw it in)
6-pak w/ manual
Caesars Palace CIB (in a cardboard box)
Taz escape from Mars
Vectorman

Sega Saturn
looks like x-men vs. Street Fighter CIB (japanese i think)
in that box there is a cartridge that says 6mb on it?

N64
South Park Rally (also threw this in for free)

total $70 what do you guys think?

[quote name='mickey the rat']I went to a thrift store that sells games that sells games at $2 a disc. I found Baldur's Gate 2 and I haggled it for $5 even though it had 4 discs inside.[/QUOTE]

I hate it when thrift stores charge by the disc. That is one of the more frustrating things a thrift store can do.

[quote name='schuerm26']I hate it when thrift stores charge by the disc. That is one of the more frustrating things a thrift store can do.[/QUOTE]

That and the majority of the time I can't find all the discs.

My local store used to price them at $2.99 but now anything cartridge is $1.99 including complete Genesis games (when they have them). They sometimes price PS1, Dreamcast games at $1.99 but can go as high as $5.99, depends on how the manager feels.

today i found:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest (bonus disc) CIB - $4.99

I had never seen it before so figured it was rare, and it looks like it is

[quote name='orcafan8']today i found:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest (bonus disc) CIB - $4.99

I had never seen it before so figured it was rare, and it looks like it is[/QUOTE]

It was a pre-order freebie. You can probably get $20 for it, although a CAG wouldn't have any trouble finding a copy for $10. It's a popular title with resellers as the relative scarcity makes it easy to keep the price high.

Not really worth anything except to a collector; its a pretty lazy port of the N64 game, and then the "Master Quest" is just the same game with slightly different dungeons (and not the true unreleased version of OoT, which had different enemies).

I found a big pile of Genesis stuff; there had clearly just been one there and someone took it and left all the goodies. Generally sports games but I couple I would have picked up as well as a pretty sweet third-party 6-button controller. Coincidentally, I also found a random AC adapter in the pile of random plugs and adapters, but upon further inspection, for the Genesis 1. Somehow I have a Genesis 1 and 2 and no adapter for either and NO idea if my 1 even works. I guess I'm about to find out.

To my amazement , the Genesis 1 I've had sitting in a cabinet for no less than 10 years powers right up. So now I've got a Genesis 1 with an AC and no RF, and a Genesis 2 with an RF and no AC. :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by the local Goodwill today. Passed on a Gamecube (with no cables or controllers) for $16, and a N64 (also with no cables or controllers, but two football games) for an unknown amount. And then there was this gem, which I also left for another...

untitled-4.jpg

If anyone cares, it was complete w/ manual.

I found a sealed Missile Command tonight, which would have been great if they didn't write the price on the box in marker. I also found a NES Satellite, which is easily the most obscure thing I've ever seen. I almost bought it but the novelty would have worn off after I realized I'd have to buy $10 worth of C batteries to run the thing. All the loose Genesis games from yesterday suddenly have cases.

Easily the most heartbreaking was a yellow Game Boy in a plastic case with three or four games. No idea what the games were since the whole thing was in the glass case, but one thing is for certain; I fucking despise being broke.

[quote name='donkeydrop']It was a pre-order freebie. You can probably get $20 for it, although a CAG wouldn't have any trouble finding a copy for $10. It's a popular title with resellers as the relative scarcity makes it easy to keep the price high.

Not really worth anything except to a collector; its a pretty lazy port of the N64 game, and then the "Master Quest" is just the same game with slightly different dungeons (and not the true unreleased version of OoT, which had different enemies).[/QUOTE]

I'm actually looking for it and I can't find it for less than $20. $10 would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back