Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ SteelSD, i'm glad you said something, i took a closer look at it and its just the freaking modem. oh well, the dreamcast works great thought for $5.

today at a goodwill i got a sega game gear for $3.99, and 3 games for $1.99 each, sonic, mickey mouse something, and Ax Battler, it all works too.

[quote name='wheels']@ SteelSD, i'm glad you said something, i took a closer look at it and its just the freaking modem. oh well, the dreamcast works great thought for $5.

today at a goodwill i got a sega game gear for $3.99, and 3 games for $1.99 each, sonic, mickey mouse something, and Ax Battler, it all works too.[/QUOTE]

Well, 5 bucks is still a great deal on a Dreamcast. Goodwill stores tend to be my bane. I've found a couple things at Goodwill, but most of the video game stuff I find is way overpriced. No $5 Dreamcasts and $4 Game Gears for sure.

I usually don't find a whole lot, if anything at all, at thrift shops. Did happen to pick up Sonic 3 and Wolverine: Adamantium Rage for $1.99 each today, though. Both had their manuals as well.

They just opened some new thrift store here in CT called Savers. I stopped in today, and they actually had a decent selection of games. They had a small assortment of NES games, Gradius, Lunar Pool, Battle Chess, amongst others. Mostly though it was a lot of junk PS2 and original X-Box games. Everything was priced at 3.99 which was a bit high, but not if the games are any good.

I would have picked up Battle Chess for the NES, as it's fairly uncommon, but not for 3.99. What I did purchase however was a brand new, sealed copy of Jak 2 Greatest Hits for PS2, and a not sealed but otherwise mint copy of Jak 3 also for PS2. Not bad for 8 bucks.

I've only had one video game find at a thrift store. It was NHL 04 on PS2 for $4. That was a year ago and I bet it's still there.

What kind of thrift stores do you guys go too? All I ever see is old cloths, boardgames, and a shit load of VHS tapes.

ok, so im supposed to be studying for finals, but anyways went to a few goodwills yesterday and today and these are my gw finds:

Sega Genesis model 1 complete w/ 2 1st party controllers
Sega cd missing a/c adapter
games
Altered Beast cart only
bulls v. lakers
madden football 93
evander holyfield boxing
sports talk baseball
nhl hokey
Sega CD: comptons interactive encyclopedia
Ground Zero Texas
Pitfall case
Sewer Shark (disk only in the pitfall case)
= $39.99

PS1 games = $2.99 each
Tekken 2 GH
Small Soldiers
NFS III hot pursuit disc only
Crash Bandicoot 2 case only
Genesis game:
Where in time is carmen sandiego = $.99
Xbox games: GTA vice city, GTA III both part of the XBOX collection - 5.99 each

and at the last place i am little confused by the reciept but i got the following for 20.96
Halo 2 collectors edition (case and disc only)
beyond good and evil xbox
drakan ps2
ddr extreme ps2
also there is a movie and cd included in that price too.

also when there are bundles like above what do you guys end up doing with the multiples of systems you acquire?

My Goodwill had, I believe, the same NHL 04 for $5 for many, many months, but someone recently took it. They've also had some flavor of Madden for SNES and a Quarterback Club 64 locked in the case for quite some time; every time I see it I get excited and then remember it's Madden and Quarterback Club.

In my favorite thing I've ever found in a thrift store, I found a set of spinning rims. I can't even imagine how they ended up there.

I also saw at least the 5th PS1 in recent memory at the Goodwill, and at the other store there was a boxed Multitap. There was also a pile of Atari joysticks, which means I just missed on some type of console; they're an extra $3 so people buy the consoles and leave the controllers, and now there's a shelf of just Genesis, Playstation and now Atari controllers. They had a Quake III Arena for Dreamcast for $1.91 that I would have gladly purchased, but inside the case was a MTV Music Generator disc. I hope that's the way it came, because people who steal from thrift stores need to be beaten with a piece of heavy mining equipment and left bleeding in the moonlight.

[quote name='Survivalism']
people who steal from thrift stores need to be beaten with a piece of heavy mining equipment and left bleeding in the moonlight.[/QUOTE]I agree, its fucked up. And frustrating when you find a case with no disc in it, bring it up to the counter and the employees just shrug and say someone probably stole it. that seems to happen a lot of the time.

[quote name='Capsuledragon']I've only had one video game find at a thrift store. It was NHL 04 on PS2 for $4. That was a year ago and I bet it's still there.

What kind of thrift stores do you guys go too? All I ever see is old cloths, boardgames, and a shit load of VHS tapes.[/QUOTE]

yeah same here... I've been in a lot of thrift stores, too.

Ok, I haven't been able to pick up anything really good at a thrift store for maybe 1-2 weeks.

Today, I finally found some stuff

PS1 Lunar Silver Star Story Complete $11.99 :hot:

All 4 discs are mint, the box has wear on the edges/corners, the artbook/manual was included, but the cloth map was missing.

Toy Story Deluxe Cav Laserdisc Edition $6.99 :D

This is in a giant silver box with 2 discs for the movie, 2 discs with supplemental stuff, a mini artbook and a 3D art picture. I am a big Toy Story fan so I bought it even though I don't even have a laserdisc player-haha. I guess I'll pick up a laserdisc player for cheap if I ever see one again.

This makes me want to swing by some more thrift stores tomorrow.

Most of the Thrift shops around here blow, but I'll get alittle lucky once in a while. Like once, I found a GREAT looking NES with the Satellite, 2 Controllers, hookups, and a zapper for 25 bucks. Have yet to find anything "extremely rare" though.

[quote name='kk012']Ok, I haven't been able to pick up anything really good at a thrift store for maybe 1-2 weeks.

Today, I finally found some stuff

PS1 Lunar Silver Star Story Complete $11.99 :hot:

All 4 discs are mint, the box has wear on the edges/corners, the artbook/manual was included, but the cloth map was missing.

Toy Story Deluxe Cav Laserdisc Edition $6.99 :D

This is in a giant silver box with 2 discs for the movie, 2 discs with supplemental stuff, a mini artbook and a 3D art picture. I am a big Toy Story fan so I bought it even though I don't even have a laserdisc player-haha. I guess I'll pick up a laserdisc player for cheap if I ever see one again.

This makes me want to swing by some more thrift stores tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I'd pick up the Jurassic Park laser disc if I could. I'm not sure how easy it is to find the players, but still... I know that some laser discs actually have some nice features that DVDs don't... The Se7en Criterion laser disc comes to mind...

I hit up a bunch of thrift stores yesterday. One Salvation Army, one Goodwill and one local yokel one.

I found(but did NOT buy)the following:

*PS2 with memory card but NO wires: $54 at local one
*Gameboy Advance TRU Edition:$10 at local one
*3 PS1 games(Samurai Shodown III, Ultimate Fighting Championship, WWF Attitude) for $3-4 each at Salvation Army
*Big ass SDtv(32") with NO coaxial cable port on it but a slew of AV ports: $4.97

I know, I know. For $5 I should've picked up the tv, but I don't have a truck and I didn't have anyone to help me haul it out of the store.

[quote name='Vulgarism']I'd pick up the Jurassic Park laser disc if I could. I'm not sure how easy it is to find the players, but still... I know that some laser discs actually have some nice features that DVDs don't... The Se7en Criterion laser disc comes to mind...[/QUOTE]

I picked up a laser disc player and some movies on impulse last month. Watching the Angry Video Game Nerd's video on laser discs really sparked my interest.

For anyone looking to get a player and they have a choice, I definitely recommend getting one that autoplays the flip side of the disc. Mine doesn't and it's like a timewarp back to the days of my crappy tape deck. Add in the fact that some of the movies come on 3 or 4 discs, and it can start to feel like work. :)

Aren't Laserdisc players still relatively hard to come by and pretty expensive though? I occaisionally come across the discs at thrift stores, but never a player. I assume much like other expensive technology of the time like the Neo Geo Home Console, only those with expensive and exquisite taste bought them originally, and aren't dumb enough to just dump the thing off at a thrift store.

[quote name='Vulgarism']I know that some laser discs actually have some nice features that DVDs don't... The Se7en Criterion laser disc comes to mind...[/QUOTE]

YES. If anyone sees any Criterion laser discs for cheap, pick them up. They make great conversation pieces, many of them have special features that didn't make it to DVD, and most of them go for a lot on the collector's market.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I saw a 3DO at a Salvation Army once, though I don't remember how much those cost originally.[/QUOTE]

Like, MSRP? $400 and up.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']YES. If anyone sees any Criterion laser discs for cheap, pick them up. They make great conversation pieces, many of them have special features that didn't make it to DVD, and most of them go for a lot on the collector's market.[/QUOTE]

It seems like you know about laserdiscs... How is the image/audio quality? I'm sure the disc-space was pretty meager 12-15 years ago, but since the discs are larger and some come in multiple disc sets, do they look and sound decent? Close to/on par with DVDs? I think they would be a nice collector's item, and it wouldn't hurt to have a few films I really enjoy on another format to see what the additional features contain..

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Like, MSRP? $400 and up.[/QUOTE]
The 3DO I saw was incomplete(no wires, no controller), so I figured God only knows how much it'd cost for all of that.

I also saw a few 3DO games at another thrift store in the same area about 3 months later.

Suffice to say, I didn't buy those either. I've become very conservative in my buying habits since my fuck up with the PS1 games at $5 apiece:roll: from the one Salvation Army about a month or so ago.

I picked up three games that're not particularly hard to find, while leaving behind MK Trilogy and Silent Bomber, both of which were complete and I think SB was mint too.:cry:

[quote name='Vulgarism']It seems like you know about laserdiscs... How is the image/audio quality? I'm sure the disc-space was pretty meager 12-15 years ago, but since the discs are larger and some come in multiple disc sets, do they look and sound decent? Close to/on par with DVDs? I think they would be a nice collector's item, and it wouldn't hurt to have a few films I really enjoy on another format to see what the additional features contain..[/QUOTE]

I'm not an authority on them, just a fan of the format. Picture is on par with DVDs, but the sound is all analog. If you're an audiophile, that's a big deal. The size is cumbersome, to be sure, but they're no bigger than a 12" record.

SelectaVision discs, now those are a pain in the ass. The discs themselves are the same size as Laser Discs, but they come in this bulky cartridge that you've got to load in the player until the disc locks into place, then take the cartridge out. I dropped a fair amount of money on some guy's collection a few years back at a garage sale, but it was worth it to say I've got the original Star Wars trilogy on an esoteric format.

God, I'm a nerd :cry:

So far, I've seen 2 laserdisc players at my local thrift stores in the past 2 months. One was a Pioneer priced at $34.99, which eventually was bought. Another one was also a Pioneer for $7.98, but I was too late and some guy already claimed it.

I've never seen a 3DO in the wild, yet.

Once again, not necessarily a thrift store find, but I found a clothing store(!) about 30 miles away that had a bunch of used SNES games, for whatever reason. Picked up:

Kirby's Dream Land 3
Micro Machines
Kirby's Avalanche
Yoshi's Island
Super Bomberman 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Mystic Quest
Donkey Kong Country

All $3 each. A lot of them even had the plastic piece on the bottom. Had to brag, once again.

My local Goodwill seems to be adapting Borg-style after I made some good pick-ups on Mario Kart 64 and Star Ocean: The Second Story for $3 each a while back.

Now they have a Zelda: Windwaker (without manual) for $10 and two Starcraft strategy guides for $5 each. They've also got an n64 with 15 games in auction up to about $65 now :drool:

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']My local Goodwill seems to be adapting Borg-style after I made some good pick-ups on Mario Kart 64 and Star Ocean: The Second Story for $3 each a while back.

Now they have a Zelda: Windwaker (without manual) for $10 and two Starcraft strategy guides for $5 each. They've also got an n64 with 15 games in auction up to about $65 now :drool:[/QUOTE]
Lucky you. You've at least found some stuff that wasn't total crap at Goodwill. The only time I find games of any sort at either Goodwill or Salvation Army they're way overpriced or majorly screwed up(like the copy of the one Bugs Bunny PS1 game I found a week or so ago that was covered in petroleum jelly or at least I hope it was petroleum jelly).

Found Goldeneye for the N64 for $1 at a local goodwill today. Sticker is a bit faded but it does have the instructions.

at some local thrifts where my parents live i found:

NES w/ iron tank (has all cables but the a/c supply says its for a phone, lol) - $ 3.70.
GC power supply - $1
GC donkey konga - $2
GC drum controller - $1
GC Tru Crime NY - $2

not video game related but still a great find:
my mom got a GE 25 cu ft side by side fridge in like new condition (I mean still has the blue tape everywhere you are supposed to remove, and was running when we looked at it) for $216.50 current retail price - approx $900

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Lucky you. You've at least found some stuff that wasn't total crap at Goodwill. The only time I find games of any sort at either Goodwill or Salvation Army they're way overpriced or majorly screwed up(like the copy of the one Bugs Bunny PS1 game I found a week or so ago that was covered in petroleum jelly or at least I hope it was petroleum jelly).[/QUOTE]

lol, i saw that too....wtf

I picked up the following:

N64 Zelda Ocarina of Time gold cart $1.99 (label is faded and misc. scratches)
N64 Super Mario 64 $1.99 (good condition)

original Nintendo Gameboy with Tetris $9.49
These are pretty rare around my area so I just bought it.

a gray plastic NES Storage Case (Laserline GPX1500) $2.99
I've never seen a storage case for Nintendo games before today. This is pretty cool because it can fit 15 games and has a hinged door.

I passed on some overpriced consoles: a fat PS2 with 3rd party controller $34.99
Dreamcast with 2 gray controllers and just power cord $24.99
first gen Xbox with one controller, power cord, A/V cable $34.99

This Goodwill was selling Xbox sports games at $6.99-wow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up FFVII (black label - missing manual) at Salvation Army. The discs are in decent shape, especially disc 2. Didn't have a price sticker so I asked how much and it was only $1.49!

Last night I picked these games up
DSC04154.jpg

today i grabbed a couple things from a goodwill

Max Payne 2 Xbox $2.99
Skate or Die 2 NES $1.99

not great deals but i want to try out max payne since i've never played it and skate or die is going into my growing collection of skateboarding games

i went to one gw today and they had the funniest pricing...

xbox original w/ two controllers (1 was 3rd party) for 50 bucks, yeah no

then i see a xbox controller s in green for only 4.99? i picked that up because i haven't been able to find any controllers

$5 each from the local Salvation Army:
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Donkey Kong Country 2

Not terribly cheap but I didn't own them yet.

Also found a Super Mario 64 manual to add to the collection.

4.99 each

X360
Assassin's Creed CIB (w/ mini stategy guid from BB?)
Eternal Sonata CIB (box was broken, but they let me switch out everything with another titles green box)
Tales of Vesperia CIB

missed out on WaW and the others left were sports titles

not video games but also 4.99
new in box Family Guy vol. 3

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Lucky you. You've at least found some stuff that wasn't total crap at Goodwill. The only time I find games of any sort at either Goodwill or Salvation Army they're way overpriced or majorly screwed up(like the copy of the one Bugs Bunny PS1 game I found a week or so ago that was covered in petroleum jelly or at least I hope it was petroleum jelly).[/QUOTE]

Something else to keep an eye out for is Yu-gi-oh Forbidden Memories, which I got not once, but twice, for $3. It's flippable for minor gain *nod*

I tend to check Goodwill fairly often as part of a regular stuff-dumping schedule; you got to because the good stuff tends to go fairly quick (unless it's buried or covered up). Did I mention that both the locations I visit are manned by intelligent negros who were once Gamestop employees? Keeps me sharp, it does. It's not about where the Bugs Bunny is, but where the Bugs Bunny isn't. You can't lose hope.

Today i found a Sega IR reciever for a Genesis ($.69), never saw one of these before, unfortunately no controllers. :(

I picked up the following:

Pokemon Crystal for GB Color $1.99
N64 Rumble Pak $0.99
N64 AC adapter $0.99
N64 Gameshark Pro v 3.2 $0.99

SNES games for $1.99 each
Donkey Kong Country
TMNT4: Turtles in Time
Separation Anxiety
Clue
Aladdin
The Lion King
(Front Labels are in good shape except for Separation Anxiety. The back labels are in rough shape due to old GS price tags being stuck on there for who knows how long-haha.)

[quote name='lude21']Today i found a Sega IR reciever for a Genesis ($.69), never saw one of these before, unfortunately no controllers. :([/QUOTE]

I've got ~6 of the IR controllers, but no receiver. On ebay, the packages with controller + receiver go for about $50. So, very nice find.

[quote name='orcafan8']X360
Assassin's Creed CIB (w/ mini stategy guid from BB?)[/QUOTE]

The mini strategy guide was actually a bonus in the oh-so-disappointing Collector's Edition.

I think the people at Goodwill just randomly price stuff however they feel like.
My Goodwill has a bunch of PS1's ranging from $5 to 30...and the cheaper one has controllers and cords.

One day I found Super Mario RPG for $2, and that same day they also had madden 93 for Genesis for $8..

Anyways today at my Goodwill I found some NES games for 99cents each,
Swords & Serpents
Pro Wrestling
Road Blasters
Dr. Mario

I also picked up the PC versions of Oblivion GOTY edition, and Civilization 4 Complete edition for $5 each. They were both brand new and still sealed. For some reason they had about 6+ of each of those games today. They even had ancient old PC games like SimCity for PC brand new and still sealed o_O (the original 80's version)

Just stopped by this "bargain bin thrift store" and they had a pretty decent collection of PS2 games, for $5 each. I picked up:

Devil May Cry 2
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
.hack//infection
.hack//mutation

DMC 2 was to get started on my DMC collection. I figured while it was right there and I found those other 3 games, that $5 wasn't bad :p. Now I just have to look for .hack parts 3 & 4. I'll probably end up keeping MvC2.

Total = $21.20

picked up...

Sega Genesis Model 2
/w rf connectors and power cord
2x 3-button controllers

all for $6 from a local goodwill, and it works ^^

Picked up NBA Hang Time for the Sega Genesis NIB factory sealed for $3. Not too bad I don't think.

Saw a pretty decent amount of video games... a lot of them had older video games but they were all overpriced sports games for the NES/SNES. I saw a clear Gameboy Pocket for $6 that I probably should've grabbed. I also saw a game for the Sega Game Gear but no system... probably should've gotten it aswell.

Almost picked up Crash Bandicoot for the PS1 for $2... but when I opened it up there was no disc D:!

[quote name='Porpoise King']Almost picked up Crash Bandicoot for the PS1 for $2... but when I opened it up there was no disc D:![/QUOTE]Nothing, NOTHING(well, almost nothing), pisses me off as much as when this happens. They need to guard the CD's better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back