Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually went on my 3 GW trip for the first time in months yesterday. didnt get anything but saw 2 atari 7800 controllers and 2 nes controllers for $4 apiece, an n64 ac adapter for $1, like 6 repackaged wireless 360 controllers for $20 apiece, a Palm Zire 71 pda with cables for $20. i dont need any of these for my collection but would it be worth picking these up? i know that n64 adapter probably is. are Palms easy to flip on ebay I see a couple every now and than but am not sure about value on them.

[quote name='allyourblood']Also, if the 20-30 thrift stores in my surrounding counties have taught me anything, it's that the days of Goodwill selling fair-priced video games are nearing their end; Xbox 360 and PS3 games are more and more frequently being priced at Gamestop-levels, so the "poor" are just as likely to find a better deal at their local Best Buy or Target clearance section, than on the shelves of Goodwill and its ilk.[/QUOTE]

This has been my experience. I still might be able to find deals on older games or PC games, but otherwise prices are no bargains. Same with pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales ... . The rise of eBay has helped spawn hunters and it also provides instant "how much is this worth?" data.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Very well said. My parents taught me to be thrifty and I was a bargain hunter before I was a CAG.[/QUOTE]

My parents were the same, although I've bastardized their teachings and now spend a lot more than I should simply because I'm getting great deals. If I could hold myself to one game a month that I really want for $40 and not 10-12 games for $5-15, I'd actually be thrifty.

[quote name='allyourblood']Regardless of what you guys are arguing about, the bit about poor people only being able to afford games from Goodwill is silly. I grew up in a low income family, and not having money doesn't mean buying cast-offs; it much more often means doing without for longer periods of time than those who are financially "well off". Are folks who don't have a lot of money more inclined to bargain-hunt? Of course, but no one has to shop there for their video games (or whatever).

In fact, what you'll find these days is that a great many low income families are struggling with credit card debt. Why? From spending money they don't have for things they want. A lot of other not-so-well-off families I knew from my childhood kept their kids in the latest fashions and made sure they had the hottest new toys and gadgets. This is a practice in which my parents did not themselves indulge, and for that I'm very grateful, but plenty of "poor" people have the latest and greatest -- at least, for now.

Also, the vast majority of people who buy from Goodwill aren't poor; they're bargain hunters from all walks of life and all social standings. For every Average Joe who shops at a thrift store, there are at least as many wealthy folks who like finding rare, unique, or exotic items. There are also a lot of fashion-conscious youths (and adults) who are looking to cobble the latest styles or trends from yesterday's oddities. And finally, you have collectors and resellers, which are arguably Goodwill's (and many other thrift stores') lifeblood today, paying half-premium prices for items which historically have sold for pennies.

Also, if the 20-30 thrift stores in my surrounding counties have taught me anything, it's that the days of Goodwill selling fair-priced video games are nearing their end; Xbox 360 and PS3 games are more and more frequently being priced at Gamestop-levels, so the "poor" are just as likely to find a better deal at their local Best Buy or Target clearance section, than on the shelves of Goodwill and its ilk.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you're not as poor as the people I was talking about. If someone can only afford $1-2 games and a $5-10 system they're very likely to buy it from a cheap store they're at for other necessities. They're not going to be able to go out of their way to spend gas money to hit up deals at various places. Many do not have credit cards.

I had friends growing up who were poor and they often got their games because their parents found them at tag sales or the dump when they were looking for other necessities. Not every poor person is living beyond their means. There are many more who do not have the latest and greatest than there are who do, especially when we're talking about electronics.

Yes all kinds of people shop at thrift stores, but it's one of the only places the poor can find games at a price they can afford. They cannot get access to Ebay. People are not paying half-premium prices for most of the older games, this thread is evident of that. People are getting some great deals on them.

Who said anything about 360/PS3. The poor are not going to be looking for those games, they're going to be looking for old titles. Again, you're thinking of a different section of society than what I was talking about. It certainly sounds like you're describing those of lower middle-class.

As I have said many times in the past, the idea that Goodwill provides any services for the poor or financially disadvantaged is a complete misconception. Goodwill is a non-profit organization that operates thrift stores in order to provide jobs, training, and education for the handicapped and disabled. It has nothing at all to do with helping poor people.

[quote name='J7.']Obviously you're not as poor as the people I was talking about. If someone can only afford $1-2 games and a $5-10 system they're very likely to buy it from a cheap store they're at for other necessities. They're not going to be able to go out of their way to spend gas money to hit up deals at various places. Many do not have credit cards.[/QUOTE]

You seem to be insisting on what some people can pay. Poor people, very poor people, who have electricity and a TV quite often buy new games; yes, even PS3 and 360. And yes, even without credit cards. Also, it's quite evident you've never been anywhere close to poor, because if you were, you would know that people do not require cars to travel, even long distances. Walking has served us very well for thousands of years, and will very likely continue to do so far into the future. If you don't think poor folks travel far and wide on foot in order to get in on deals and bargains, you are 100% fooling yourself. Or are we referring more to folks who are just lazy?

I had friends growing up who were poor and they often got their games because their parents found them at tag sales or the dump when they were looking for other necessities. Not every poor person is living beyond their means. There are many more who do not have the latest and greatest than there are who do, especially when we're talking about electronics.
And not every poor person finds it impossible to purchase inexpensive games at retail locations. The less you have, often the more creative you are in making do, and that often equals savvy bargain-hunting at many retail outfits. If your friends' parents were scavenging at the dump for necessities, they are more than likely homeless.

In fact, what sort of necessities are we talking about here? Food, water, toilet paper, toothpaste, a heat source?? Clothing, sure, but again, if the poor you're talking about are "shopping" at the dump, enjoying video games seems like it should be the absolute least of their worries!

Yes all kinds of people shop at thrift stores, but it's one of the only places the poor can find games at a price they can afford. They cannot get access to Ebay. People are not paying half-premium prices for most of the older games, this thread is evident of that. People are getting some great deals on them.
Again, you seem to be dictating where poor people can shop. Poor people can certainly get online access and those who can't probably aren't putting video games high up on their list of necessities.

Who said anything about 360/PS3. The poor are not going to be looking for those games, they're going to be looking for old titles. Again, you're thinking of a different section of society than what I was talking about. It certainly sounds like you're describing those of lower middle-class.
"Don't tell me!"

- Arthur Spooner

I am definitely not speaking of a "different section of society". I am referring to folks who are, for all intents and purposes, poor. Government assistance (HUD, food stamps, etc.), no computer, no cable, and oftentimes, no phone. Running water, check. Electricity, check. PS3?... More often than you think! Who said anything about 360/PS3?? I did! Poor people shop for and buy the things they want, and that includes the newest generation of video games. They may not obtain them as quickly or easily as those with higher income, but they'll buy what they really want eventually.

And once again, you're telling everyone where poor people shop and what they buy. I have known many poor people, even folks who were homeless for years and got themselves situated back in lower-middle class society. The poor, just like the middle class and the wealthy, are all shopping for current games. I suppose you could argue that extraordinarily poor people who are also impatient, would prefer hoping for games of interest to appear at the 1-2 dollar price point, than the rest of the multitudes, by and large, who are saving a few bucks here and there when they can, and buying current games at perfectly reasonable prices (5-20 dollars each).

Relying on Goodwill for your zero-dollar budget entertainment is silly. Better prices can be had from numerous sources without having to spend any extra time or money, and, due to volume and frequency, with much greater success. Unless these poor near you haven't heard of yard sales, swap meets, clearance sales, dollar stores (yes, dollar stores), pawn shops, classified ads and charity drives. And for those able to surf the web online (say, for free from a library or school), there's Craigslist, Freecycle, kijiji, Ebay and more.

I don't think you're giving poor folks enough credit. People in a bad spot financially are often incredibly resourceful and would never be pegged as having to shop at Goodwill for the majority of their possessions.

[quote name='allyourblood'] You seem to be insisting on what some people can pay. Poor people, very poor people, who have electricity and a TV quite often buy new games; yes, even PS3 and 360. And yes, even without credit cards. Also, it's quite evident you've never been anywhere close to poor, because if you were, you would know that people do not require cars to travel, even long distances. Walking has served us very well for thousands of years, and will very likely continue to do so far into the future. If you don't think poor folks travel far and wide on foot in order to get in on deals and bargains, you are 100% fooling yourself. Or are we referring more to folks who are just lazy?[/QUOTE]

Most poor do not own PS3/360. You're taking examples of a few people and generalizing. You said how they use credit cards to buy up shit and not pay their bills. Most do not. Now you're acting as if know me. Most poor people do not walk to Target or Best Buy to get in on video game deals. Most do not live close enough. You're taking a few examples and you're applying them to everyone. Give me a fucking break.
[quote name='allyourblood']
And not every poor person finds it impossible to purchase inexpensive games at retail locations. The less you have, often the more creative you are in making do, and that often equals savvy bargain-hunting at many retail outfits. If your friends' parents were scavenging at the dump for necessities, they are more than likely homeless.[/QUOTE]
Poor people most often do not have the means or knowledge to know about gaming deals, like where and when games go on sale. Most poor do not own brand new state of the art gaming systems. Poor people do not travel to every retail outfit looking for the best deal on a game.

They have more important things to worry about. They goto places when they need things and they'll spend some time looking for a cheap deal on a game for their child but they're not driving around or spending an entire day walking to stores looking for deals on games. In rare instances they might travel more to try and get their child something specific, like for christmas. Just because someone gets some dinnerware, a tv, a crib at the dump doesn't mean they are homeless. You take what you can get.
In fact, what sort of necessities are we talking about here? Food, water, toilet paper, toothpaste, a heat source?? Clothing, sure, but again, if the poor you're talking about are "shopping" at the dump, enjoying video games seems like it should be the absolute least of their worries![/QUOTE]
Again you seem to identify more with lower middle-class than those of low-income. Necessities don't have to be consumables. There are things people need/would really like to have in their homes. Plates to eat off, tv for entertainment and news, crib for baby, bed, furniture, light source, tools, etc. Poor people don't deserve to be able to provide their children with video games? They don't deserve to play them themselves when they're off work? To get their mind off the rest of the shit they deal with?

Again, you seem to be dictating where poor people can shop. Poor people can certainly get online access and those who can't probably aren't putting video games high up on their list of necessities.[/QUOTE]
I ain't dictating. I am saying most cannot afford $10-60 games. Most not all. Most not barely any. Most poor do not get online access on a daily basis. Do you really think most poor people are going to surf ebay for video games, have an account, have a paypal account, etc... or do you see them buying a PS1 game when they see one on sale for $2 at Goodwill while they're picking up school clothes for their child? Seriously.

"Don't tell me!"

- Arthur Spooner

I am definitely not speaking of a "different section of society". I am referring to folks who are, for all intents and purposes, poor. Government assistance (HUD, food stamps, etc.), no computer, no cable, and oftentimes, no phone. Running water, check. Electricity, check. PS3?... More often than you think![/QUOTE]
I'm sure the numbers are more than most people think, but I am willing to bet most poor do not own PS3.

And once again, you're telling everyone where poor people shop and what they buy. I have known many poor people, even folks who were homeless for years and got themselves situated back in lower-middle class society. The poor, just like the middle class and the wealthy, are all shopping for current games. I suppose you could argue that extraordinarily poor people who are also impatient, would prefer hoping for games of interest to appear at the 1-2 dollar price point, than the rest of the multitudes, by and large, who are saving a few bucks here and there when they can, and buying current games at perfectly reasonable prices (5-20 dollars each).[/QUOTE]
You're telling everyone where poor people shop and what they buy. You're acting as if 90% of poor people own 360/PS3 and buy games for them on a fairly regular basis. 99% of the time when I see the poor they're buying PS1/PS2 games or older. All my poor friends growing up owned NES when others owned SNES, GEN when others owned PS1, TG16 when others owned SNES, Atari 2600 when others owned NES. When others had 10-20 games they owned 1-5. Their families worked hard and didn't waste their money. If they paid $20 for a game they wouldn't be able to afford food.

Relying on Goodwill for your zero-dollar budget entertainment is silly. Better prices can be had from numerous sources without having to spend any extra time or money, and, due to volume and frequency, with much greater success. Unless these poor near you haven't heard of yard sales, swap meets, clearance sales, dollar stores (yes, dollar stores), pawn shops, classified ads and charity drives. And for those able to surf the web online (say, for free from a library or school), there's Craigslist, Freecycle, kijiji, Ebay and more.[/QUOTE]
Many poor do not live near where yard sales happen. How many yard sales do you see in the inner city or in the boonies? We already covered clearance sales. Dollar stores and pawn shops are equivalent to buying from thrift stores in many cases. Resellers use pawn shops too. Resellers use all of these in fact except charity drives. Again, most poor use what's immediately available to them and cannot use every place that you can think of.

I don't think you're giving poor folks enough credit. People in a bad spot financially are often incredibly resourceful and would never be pegged as having to shop at Goodwill for the majority of their possessions.[/QUOTE]
I don't think you are when you claim that most of them own PS3's and they max out their credit cards buying video games. They are very resourceful. That's why they look for gifts for their child's birthday when they're picking up clothes for them. That's why they use goodwill and pick up things for free from places. That's why they work together just to get what they need to survive. They are not spending all their time looking up deals and traveling all over god's creation for a video game. They take what's available.

The simple fact is thrift stores can be a good source for getting games for cheap and the poor utilize this as one of their sources. For many it is one of only a few sources nearby that they frequent. Reselling is fine, it's capitalism. The point is that someone calls me out for merely thinking of renting a game from big ole Gamestop, yet they resell games all the time that they can grab before those of often lesser means can get to. I ain't gonna waste any more of my or your time arguing over this. I have more important shit to do.

[quote name='J7.']Most poor do not own PS3/360. You're taking examples of a few people and generalizing. You said how they use credit cards to buy up shit and not pay their bills. Most do not. Now you're acting as if know me. Most poor people do not walk to Target or Best Buy to get in on video game deals. Most do not live close enough. You're taking a few examples and you're applying them to everyone. [/QUOTE]

I never even hinted at this magical "most" you seem so fond of. But if you don't think some of them do, I'm not going to change your mind.

Poor people most often do not have the means or knowledge to know about gaming deals, like where and when games go on sale. Most poor do not own brand new state of the art gaming systems. Poor people do not travel to every retail outfit looking for the best deal on a game.
Poor people don't have the knowledge? What a joke. Either they're resourceful, or they're not. A quick stop into a few retails stores will net them inexpensive games. That's just the way it works. Saying most of them don't visit retail stores is absurd. I'm not saying they shop there all the time, or even most of the time.

They have more important things to worry about. They goto places when they need things and they'll spend some time looking for a cheap deal on a game for their child but they're not driving around or spending an entire day walking to stores looking for deals on games. In rare instances they might travel more to try and get their child something specific, like for christmas. Just because someone gets some dinnerware, a tv, a crib at the dump doesn't mean they are homeless. You take what you can get.
Again, you're taking the examples you've seen and applying them to everyone. I'm at least conceding that the examples I've seen apply to some of the poor, but not all. You keep speaking in absolutes as if all poor people subscribe to your opinion 100% of the time.

Again you seem to identify more with lower middle-class than those of low-income. Necessities don't have to be consumables. There are things people need/would really like to have in their homes. Plates to eat off, tv for entertainment and news, crib for baby, bed, furniture, light source, tools, etc. Poor people don't deserve to be able to provide their children with video games? They don't deserve to play them themselves when they're off work? To get their mind off the rest of the shit they deal with?
"would really like to have" does not qualify as a necessity. Why wouldn't they deserve to play video games or buy them for their children? Seems reasonable to me. I agree with you completely, there. But if a 10 dollar game means the family starves, there are way more important things to settle before sitting down for a round of 2-dollar Excitebike.

I ain't dictating. I am saying most cannot afford $10-60 games. Most not all. Most not barely any. Most poor do not get online access on a daily basis. Do you really think most poor people are going to surf ebay for video games, have an account, have a paypal account, etc... or do you see them buying a PS1 game when they see one on sale for $2 at Goodwill while they're picking up school clothes for their child? Seriously.
Well, to be fair, neither. I don't know who's poor and who's not just by looking. As you said yourself, you can't tell if someone is poor just by the way they look. But, in my own experiences, I have known plenty of poor folks who have bought (and currently buy) inexpensive items from the numerous sources I mentioned. Fine, cling to the Ebay example, but what about the various other options I posted?

For the record, I live extraordinarily close the US-Mexico border. I see poverty-stricken families and those struggling to make ends meet practically out my back window. It is a cold, hard reality here and I have been intimately involved in the lives of some folks who have had a hard time making ends meet.

I'm sure the numbers are more than most people think, but I am willing to bet most poor do not own PS3.

You're telling everyone where poor people shop and what they buy. You're acting as if 90% of poor people own 360/PS3 and buy games for them on a fairly regular basis.
Read through my posts again. You won't find anything close to my implying that a majority of poor people own new consoles or games. Not even a hint. I'm simply stating that I believe a lot of poor people (not most) do indeed own these items on occasion.

99% of the time when I see the poor they're buying PS1/PS2 games or older.
First, how do you know they're poor? Are you asking? Or are you judging them based on what they're wearing? Are they telling the cashier, "I'm poor, whatcha got for me that's cheap?"

All my poor friends growing up owned NES when others owned SNES, GEN when others owned PS1, TG16 when others owned SNES, Atari 2600 when others owned NES. When others had 10-20 games they owned 1-5. Their families worked hard and didn't waste their money. If they paid $20 for a game they wouldn't be able to afford food.
Sounds like me when I was little. My initial library of NES games never grew beyond five titles. They were Super Mario Bros, 720, Mach Rider, Mega Man and Super Mario Bros. 3. That was it, until adulthood when I decided to revisit the older titles and began buying them secondhand. My mother simply couldn't afford to buy new titles upon release. But despite not having hardly any disposable cash, she would save throughout the year to make special purchases on rare occasions for my sister and I, which included my NES system, which was purchased new, when the system was still popular. I bought one of the games myself, and it took me a few months of saving to do it.

You're missing what I mentioned once before and have repeated above: poor people have the ability to save money (and they do!): You're saying they are likely only spending $1-$2 per game. I'm saying that while that may be true, they are also absolutely saving those 2 bucks for a while, here and there, over several weeks (or longer), and over time they're dropping 10 to 20 dollars on retail games. It happens. Again, I am not saying most poor do this. But certainly more than a tiny percentage.

Many poor do not live near where yard sales happen. How many yard sales do you see in the inner city or in the boonies?
Inner city, not many. Boonies? Tons. And they have the best ones, at least in my experience. 'Round these parts, the poor take buses to the swap meets, and ride bikes to yard sales, even several miles away. Old bicycles, some probably from the dump, if it suits you.

We already covered clearance sales. Dollar stores and pawn shops are equivalent to buying from thrift stores in many cases. Resellers use pawn shops too. Resellers use all of these in fact except charity drives. Again, most poor use what's immediately available to them and cannot use every place that you can think of.
Oh, but they can and do. Not all, but some.

I don't think you are when you claim that most of them own PS3's and they max out their credit cards buying video games.
Bah, quit putting words in my mouth. You keep stating these fabricated remarks in order to support your argument, but I never once implied either one.

They are very resourceful. That's why they look for gifts for their child's birthday when they're picking up clothes for them. That's why they use goodwill and pick up things for free from places. That's why they work together just to get what they need to survive. They are not spending all their time looking up deals and traveling all over god's creation for a video game. They take what's available.
I agree 100%, but none of this invalidates what I've been saying.

The simple fact is thrift stores can be a good source for getting games for cheap and the poor utilize this as one of their sources. For many it is one of only a few sources nearby that they frequent. Reselling is fine, it's capitalism. The point is that someone calls me out for merely thinking of renting a game from big ole Gamestop, yet they resell games all the time that they can grab before those of often lesser means can get to. I ain't gonna waste any more of my or your time arguing over this.
I don't care one whit for someone pulling one over on Gamestop or for being a reseller. Wanna scam GS? Yay. Wanna resell some games? You're my new best friend. The two aren't at all related, and I'm not going to argue either point.

Back to thrift store finds...

[quote name='allyourblood']I never even hinted at this magical "most" you seem so fond of. But if you don't think some of them do, I'm not going to change your mind.

Poor people don't have the knowledge? What a joke. Either they're resourceful, or they're not. A quick stop into a few retails stores will net them inexpensive games. That's just the way it works. Saying most of them don't visit retail stores is absurd. I'm not saying they shop there all the time, or even most of the time.

Again, you're taking the examples you've seen and applying them to everyone. I'm at least conceding that the examples I've seen apply to some of the poor, but not all. You keep speaking in absolutes as if all poor people subscribe to your opinion 100% of the time.

"would really like to have" does not qualify as a necessity. Why wouldn't they deserve to play video games or buy them for their children? Seems reasonable to me. I agree with you completely, there. But if a 10 dollar game means the family starves, there are way more important things to settle before sitting down for a round of 2-dollar Excitebike.

Well, to be fair, neither. I don't know who's poor and who's not just by looking. As you said yourself, you can't tell if someone is poor just by the way they look. But, in my own experiences, I have known plenty of poor folks who have bought (and currently buy) inexpensive items from the numerous sources I mentioned. Fine, cling to the Ebay example, but what about the various other options I posted?

For the record, I live extraordinarily close the US-Mexico border. I see poverty-stricken families and those struggling to make ends meet practically out my back window. It is a cold, hard reality here and I have been intimately involved in the lives of some folks who have had a hard time making ends meet.

Read through my posts again. You won't find anything close to my implying that a majority of poor people own new consoles or games. Not even a hint. I'm simply stating that I believe a lot of poor people (not most) do indeed own these items on occasion.

First, how do you know they're poor? Are you asking? Or are you judging them based on what they're wearing? Are they telling the cashier, "I'm poor, whatcha got for me that's cheap?"

Sounds like me when I was little. My initial library of NES games never grew beyond five titles. They were Super Mario Bros, 720, Mach Rider, Mega Man and Super Mario Bros. 3. That was it, until adulthood when I decided to revisit the older titles and began buying them secondhand. My mother simply couldn't afford to buy new titles upon release. But despite not having hardly any disposable cash, she would save throughout the year to make special purchases on rare occasions for my sister and I, which included my NES system, which was purchased new, when the system was still popular. I bought one of the games myself, and it took me a few months of saving to do it.

You're missing what I mentioned once before and have repeated above: poor people have the ability to save money (and they do!): You're saying they are likely only spending $1-$2 per game. I'm saying that while that may be true, they are also absolutely saving those 2 bucks for a while, here and there, over several weeks (or longer), and over time they're dropping 10 to 20 dollars on retail games. It happens. Again, I am not saying most poor do this. But certainly more than a tiny percentage.

Inner city, not many. Boonies? Tons. And they have the best ones, at least in my experience. 'Round these parts, the poor take buses to the swap meets, and ride bikes to yard sales, even several miles away. Old bicycles, some probably from the dump, if it suits you.

Oh, but they can and do. Not all, but some.

Bah, quit putting words in my mouth. You keep stating these fabricated remarks in order to support your argument, but I never once implied either one.

I agree 100%, but none of this invalidates what I've been saying.

I don't care one whit for someone pulling one over on Gamestop or for being a reseller. Wanna scam GS? Yay. Wanna resell some games? You're my new best friend. The two aren't at all related, and I'm not going to argue either point.

Back to thrift store finds...[/QUOTE]
I wasn't going to respond but now you're changing what I actually wrote and what you originally said... and I won't stand for that.

Your argument is that poor people "often buy new games; yes, even PS3 and 360". We were talking about poor people in general so you clearly implied most when you did not specify. Now you're claiming I don't think some of them do, when I clearly said, "I'm sure the numbers are more than most people think, but I am willing to bet most poor do not own PS3." Of course you're also being vague so you could be referring to four different fucking things in the statement.

Ya poor people don't have knowledge from sources like CAG and other sites, nor can they afford the weekly newspaper, and many do not have the education to know. No fault of their own. Most that stop into a retail store are not going to have time to scour all the racks to find the few really cheap games, nor are they going to know in most instances where the fuck Target keeps their clearance titles. Nor are they going to be able to visit store after store.

I did not say most don't visit retail stores. I said they don't visit them all the time nor do they visit retail store after retail store. And some can only frequent the stores nearby. So that means they may be limited to only a Best Buy or a Target or a Kmart. Not all of them.

On the contrary you're the one talking as if your examples apply to all poor people.

Just because someone is resourceful and uses the dump for necessities like furniture, a light, a bed, tools, a tv so they know what's going on (so they know school has been canceled due to snow so they know what to do about childcare), does not mean that shopping at the dump should be the least of their worries. It's being resourceful. Necessities to you may mean only consumables, but for them to have any realm of sanity they will want to be able to have light in their house, to be able to fix things, sit on a chair, and take care of their child.

You really think a poor person buying their child a $2 game while shopping for clothes is the same as a poor person supposedly sitting on ebay and bidding for games. Or did you respond to the wrong quote... I did respond to all of your examples. We already talked about clearance sales, i.e. the poor do not have CAG telling them when clearances go down, most are not going to know about where Target puts their small clearance stash up, they're not going to the stores as often. Some will get in on clearance deals. Dollar stores, pawn shops are equivalent to buying from thrift stores often.

Resellers use almost all your examples. And as I said most poor use stores immediately available to them, they cannot afford to go out of their way to all the different stores. So when the poor in one section all frequent the nearby thrift store they're at a loss when a reseller grabs all the games. Just like in another town where all the poor who frequent the nearby pawn shop are at a loss when it happens there. I'm not claiming people should not resell, I am just saying when you grab a game - the poor person who would've bought it is not going to get it. I can't say it's wrong because it's how our law is.

Well now you've finally been specific about what you were saying. When you say poor people and you don't specify that to me means you're talking about poor people in general.

Of course you can't always tell someone is poor, but sometimes you can. You can tell if they drive a broken down car AND have rundown clothing AND sometimes by the way they talk/what they talk about AND sometimes by their parenting skills AND what they're looking at in the store and buying AND how they pay for it AND where you are shopping (the type of store and area). Usually a lot of these things need to match up (why I put AND) because one alone is not enough to probably know they're poor.

I agree with you that some poor can save and afford some new stuff. But there is a large segment of society that cannot. And there are people who would purchase games at specific stores that cannot.

In the boonies in poor areas I know of people do not have yard sales because there's no point. Nobody knows about them because they live too far away and people aren't biking 10+ miles to get to them. Furthermore, most in the boonies are poor themselves and have nothing to sell.

Yes the poor use various sources. But many only use the sources they live by that they can reach on a gallon of gas, on foot, on their friends way to the washers, on a bike from the dump, etc. So when charlie comes and picks up those games the poor person loses out.

But you did. When you talk about a type of people and you don't specify it's implying that you're talking about them in general. Like if you say white people can't dance, you're implying most white people.

Saying poor people use other places besides thrift stores doesn't invalidate what I'm saying either. There are segments of the population that can only rely on local stores. And there are also those that cannot afford games that cost $5+.

The two are related because both are immoral to some degree.

If you want to keep arguing send me a PM and I'll give you the respect by reading it and maybe I'll respond. But we've done enough OT here.

[quote name='J7.']I wasn't going to respond but now you're changing what I actually wrote and what you originally said... and I won't stand for that.[/QUOTE]

So when you do it, it's fine, but when my words are being interpreted that way, you "won't stand for that". Silly me.

Your argument is that poor people "often buy new games; yes, even PS3 and 360". We were talking about poor people in general so you clearly implied most when you did not specify. Now you're claiming I don't think some of them do, when I clearly said, "I'm sure the numbers are more than most people think, but I am willing to bet most poor do not own PS3." Of course you're also being vague so you could be referring to four different fucking things in the statement.
I implied nothing. If you want to read into things in order to back up your arguments, go nuts.

Ya poor people don't have knowledge from sources like CAG and other sites, nor can they afford the weekly newspaper, and many do not have the education to know. No fault of their own. Most that stop into a retail store are not going to have time to scour all the racks to find the few really cheap games, nor are they going to know in most instances where the fuck Target keeps their clearance titles. Nor are they going to be able to visit store after store.
You're just making broad, sweeping generalizations. Who are you trying to convince? Many do not have the education to know that stores have sales? Really? Seriously? That's where you're going with this? They're not going to have time to scour all the racks? And not knowing where Target keeps the clearance items? Seriously? Seriously. You really believe that? Astounding. While we're making bizarre and wild inferences, I suggest that poor people don't know how to peel bananas, because they don't have the time or knowledge. Sound ridiculous? I thought so.

Somehow, you seem to equate being poor with having an impossibly busy schedule. I suppose poor people are all wrapped up in finding lamps and NES games at the dump, and can't spare the time for a leisurely stroll through target; they've got to get back home and build a fire in their trash cans. Okay, sorry for poking a little fun there, but c'mon. Poor people can find time to make it to Target, and also find their way around once they get there.

I did not say most don't visit retail stores. I said they don't visit them all the time nor do they visit retail store after retail store. And some can only frequent the stores nearby. So that means they may be limited to only a Best Buy or a Target or a Kmart. Not all of them.
And yet, none of that precludes the idea that poor people shop regularly at retail stores.

On the contrary you're the one talking as if your examples apply to all poor people.
I see what you did there.

Just because someone is resourceful and uses the dump for necessities like furniture, a light, a bed, tools, a tv so they know what's going on (so they know school has been canceled due to snow so they know what to do about childcare), does not mean that shopping at the dump should be the least of their worries.
I didn't say that. I said "enjoying video games seems like it should be the absolute least of their worries".

It's being resourceful. Necessities to you may mean only consumables, but for them to have any realm of sanity they will want to be able to have light in their house, to be able to fix things, sit on a chair, and take care of their child.
Fine.

You really think a poor person buying their child a $2 game while shopping for clothes is the same as a poor person supposedly sitting on ebay and bidding for games.
Nope. They're too completely different things, and I have felt so since the onset of this discussion.

i.e. the poor do not have CAG telling them when clearances go down, most are not going to know about where Target puts their small clearance stash up, they're not going to the stores as often. Some will get in on clearance deals. Dollar stores, pawn shops are equivalent to buying from thrift stores often.
Agreed, except the bit about not being able to find clearance. I always look for the clearance section in most stores specifically. I can only imagine that someone financially worse off than myself is even more inclined to do so. Why in the world wouldn't a poor person have the time or inclination to sleuth out a simple shelf or aisle?

Resellers use almost all your examples. And as I said most poor use stores immediately available to them, they cannot afford to go out of their way to all the different stores. So when the poor in one section all frequent the nearby thrift store they're at a loss when a reseller grabs all the games. Just like in another town where all the poor who frequent the nearby pawn shop are at a loss when it happens there. I'm not claiming people should not resell, I am just saying when you grab a game - the poor person who would've bought it is not going to get it. I can't say it's wrong because it's how our law is.
I'm not going to argue the morality of the issue. I don't find a thing wrong with reselling. There are poor people in this country that resell items they themselves buy from various outlets in order to survive. Where do we draw the line? By this same logic, shouldn't you take every extra cent you earn and give it to the poor? If not, all that money you're making (that poor people obviously can't get their hands on) is going into your own pockets. For shame. *Shrug*

Of course you can't always tell someone is poor, but sometimes you can. You can tell if they drive a broken down car AND have rundown clothing AND sometimes by the way they talk/what they talk about AND sometimes by their parenting skills AND what they're looking at in the store and buying AND how they pay for it AND where you are shopping (the type of store and area). Usually a lot of these things need to match up (why I put AND) because one alone is not enough to probably know they're poor.
And don't forget all the times that none of those factors add up to determine what someone's income is. I mean, I have my own preconceptions about "poor" people and how they comport themselves outwardly, but I won't go into that here.

I agree with you that some poor can save and afford some new stuff. But there is a large segment of society that cannot. And there are people who would purchase games at specific stores that cannot.
See, this doesn't make sense to me. You concede that there are poor people who can afford 2-dollar games. Well, what's stopping any of them from just holding onto those two dollars, stickin' 'em in a jar and waiting until the next two extra bucks comes in, and so on, until they're staring down the barrel of a juicy 20-pack of ones? Then hit up a Gamestop, TRU or Best Buy on any given day, and buy themselves a couple clearance games? Nothing.

In the boonies in poor areas I know of people do not have yard sales because there's no point. Nobody knows about them because they live too far away and people aren't biking 10+ miles to get to them. Furthermore, most in the boonies are poor themselves and have nothing to sell.
Well, I guess this just boils down to a geographic difference. I've said it many times in the yard sale thread, but I find my best stuff in the absolute poorest parts of town.

Yes the poor use various sources. But many only use the sources they live by that they can reach on a gallon of gas, on foot, on their friends way to the washers, on a bike from the dump, etc. So when charlie comes and picks up those games the poor person loses out.
Do they? It's my opinion that they simply purchase games from somewhere else.

Saying poor people use other places besides thrift stores doesn't invalidate what I'm saying either. There are segments of the population that can only rely on local stores. And there are also those that cannot afford games that cost $5+.
Fair enough. (except for the $5 bit, as mentioned above.)

The two are related because both are immoral to some degree.
Well, I respectfully disagree on this point. I find one to be immoral, and the other to be nothing.

If you want to keep arguing send me a PM and I'll give you the respect by reading it and maybe I'll respond. But we've done enough OT here.
We'll see. ;)

We'll see. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'll send you a PM. I don't need to prove anything for CAG. ;)

STOP FIGHTING IN A THREAD PLEASE SEND PM'S TO EACH OTHER UNTIL THIS IS WORKED OUT . YOU TAKING UP A WHOLE DAMN PAGE EVERY TIME ONE OF YOU POST . SERIOUSLY WHAT THE fuck

Hm...on topic-ish, I picked up a few board games:

Cathedrals: $1.99
Caves & Claws: $1.99 (For my niece, though I might exchange the game)
Herd your Horses: $0.99 (For my niece)
Lord of the Rings: $0.99

The thrift stores psp games were $20 each. Some weren't worth the price.

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']STOP FIGHTING IN A THREAD PLEASE SEND PM'S TO EACH OTHER UNTIL THIS IS WORKED OUT . YOU TAKING UP A WHOLE DAMN PAGE EVERY TIME ONE OF YOU POST . SERIOUSLY WHAT THE fuck[/QUOTE]

Billy Mays here is right. Although J7, I lost count of how many times you changed your argument. If you're going to argue, at least know what you're arguing about :cool:

I went to my local Thrift store last friday, but didn't find anything. Well, I did, but I don't want to pay $5 for Rugrats In Paris.

[quote name='shrike4242']Some arguments are much better done via PM's and not with spamming walls of text.

Please take this as a less-than-subtle hint.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kinda had a feeling you'd be around before too long. Message received. :lol:

Metal Gear Solid VR Missions for PS1 (black label) - $1.99

The disc is 100% flawless and it's complete. Looks like whoever had it before me bought it new and never played it.

All at the same Thrift Store today

The Neverhood PC $2.99
Chocobo's Dungeon 2 PS1 $2.99
The Game of Life PS1 $2.99

All are in literally perfect condition.

Picked up another Wii Remote w/ Wii Motionplus in box for $25. Pink one this time. That takes my remote count to 4, so I'm done hunting for them now.

Find of the day, however, was a slightly used, but fully functional, Dyson DC07 Animal for $35. Only thing missing is the post-motor filter.

[quote name='sp00ge']Find of the day, however, was a slightly used, but fully functional, Dyson DC07 Animal for $35. Only thing missing is the post-motor filter.[/QUOTE]

Holy freaking crap. Not sure if many CAGs would appreciate such a find, but I do. I'm embarrassed to call myself a CAG considering how much I paid for my Dyson.

[quote name='sp00ge']Picked up another Wii Remote w/ Wii Motionplus in box for $25. Pink one this time. That takes my remote count to 4, so I'm done hunting for them now.

Find of the day, however, was a slightly used, but fully functional, Dyson DC07 Animal for $35. Only thing missing is the post-motor filter.[/QUOTE]

Wow, awesome find. I've always wanted a Dyson, but just couldn't bear to spend the $400-500 on a brand new one. You are so lucky!

I did pick these up at a thrift store today:

N64 Tremorplus Pak $3

NES games:
Super Mario Bros 3 $2
Slalom $2
Excitebike $2
Duck Hunt $2

[quote name='salty tbone']Holy freaking crap. Not sure if many CAGs would appreciate such a find, but I do. I'm embarrassed to call myself a CAG considering how much I paid for my Dyson.[/QUOTE]

When I read it I thought it was somesort of musical instrument, amp, or or something, quick google search let me know that is was a vacuum cleaner. Very good deal though since they look to be very expensive.

Snagged a few more gems today:

Beyond Good & Evill (Xbox), complete - $4

The rest were $3/each and cart only:
Killer Instinct Gold (N64)
TLOZ: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Mr. Do! (SNES)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Oh man, if I saw that Dyson, i woulda bought it in a heart beat. We current have an old cannister vac and I absolutely hate lugging that thing around the house. Especially since we moved a few years ago to a two story house.

yeah sweet deal on the dyson i paid $320 with coupon for my big yellow one 3 years ago, it's still going strong after 3 years of pickin up tons of black lab hair, way better than other vacs.

i picked up Knights of the Old Republic for PC $2 today and Pokemon Ruby GBA for $2 only i think its a bootleg cuz it has a grey case, i dont know shit about pokemon so i was bummed when i looked it up on ebay and they all had red cases.

Picked up a ps2 Slim with power cord and connector cord for $9.16 after tax !! After searching for atleast a year finally got a good deal.

(edit) no problems at all had to clean it up a bit. had a few cat hairs in it , and it was really dust but works great

Picked up a SNES console, missing the video cable, for $5. Also managed to find a disc only prior-rental copy of Xenogears for $3.

Well, not a thrift store find but didn't know where else to brag about this. A friend gave me a DS Lite for some computer work I had done for her. Said it didn't turn on & she bought her son a new one anyway. Figured it was a decent trade for what I did & broken DS Lites go for decent money on eBay, but then I checked online & found it's still under warranty! Sending it out today (on Nintendo's dime!), will wait & see if it can be fixed! If not, they said they'd replace it - if it's not a covered repair there's still eBay!

Alright. I guess I'm a dumbass again, since I passed up Galaga(with some subtitle under the name Galaga on the sticker)for the NES today at a Salvation Army. Then again, the game had something rattling around inside the cart, so no telling if the game even worked or not.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Alright. I guess I'm a dumbass again, since I passed up Galaga(with some subtitle under the name Galaga on the sticker)for the NES today at a Salvation Army. Then again, the game had something rattling around inside the cart, so no telling if the game even worked or not.[/QUOTE]not really, looks like its only selling for about $10 shipped.

Woops originally posted in the wrong thread (deleted original),

Goodwill

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Planetary Pack $3
Thief: Deadly Shadows $3

Boys & Girls

Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-Ray Player $10

The player I pretty much took a chance on since the tiny thrift store didn't take any returns or exchanges (no remote or cables either). The only test I did at the store before purchasing was I plugged it into an outlet to test and see if it would even turn on. The player lighted up and I tested the ejection button. So ok, what the hell $10 Blu-Ray player. Got home, plugged in the HDMI cable and tried a DVD. So far so good and the up-scaling looks great. Unfortunately I don't have any Blu-Ray movies on hand so that will have to wait. The BD-P1000 player is one of the early gen-1 players, so I'm sure it'll have limitations with playbacks (if the Blu-Ray drive even works). :lol:

[quote name='darkslime']not really, looks like its only selling for about $10 shipped.[/QUOTE]

That's why I wasn't that annoyed with myself for not picking it up. Plus, the aforementioned rattling sound from within the cart kinda scared me. I figured I'd be out whatever I paid when I tried to sell it to someone since it wouldn't work cuz something was broken inside.

I'd been posting my thrift finds in the pawn shop thread... whoops.

Today:

PSP with a charger stand + 2 cases = $50
Mass Effect 2 (PC) = $13.50

Last week:

Dreamcast w/ 2 controllers + VMU = $10

I'd been a single console (+ my pc) guy for so long, and my backlog is so big, I may have stepped in it, wallet-wise.

I found a copy of Tactics Ogre for $2 that I'm so fucking broke I couldn't even pick up. That one hurts me in the wallet.

Edit: I scrounged up some change and went back and got it. The booklet looks like it's never been open and the disc is downright gorgeous for a 13 year old game. This is arguably my best find EVAR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up sealed from a Savers in Reno:

Super Mario 64
Super Mario World
Blackthorne (SNES)
E.V.O. (cartridge only, perfect condition)

Paid: 6.42 for all!

I found a PlayStation game I've been looking for for months, Discworld. Of course, somebody stole the disc. They gave me the case for free though.
I also got Quest for Glory 4 for $3.

Also, there's one of those hardwood movie posters, of Some Like it Hot, for $25. Is that a good price?

another goodwill find, I got some Sega Master system games and a control stick to add to the $7.99 system i got a couple months back, now its starting to look like a collection

control stick $2
games all $3 each
shinobi
ghostbusters
alien syndrome
space harrier

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Well, not a thrift store find but didn't know where else to brag about this. A friend gave me a DS Lite for some computer work I had done for her. Said it didn't turn on & she bought her son a new one anyway. Figured it was a decent trade for what I did & broken DS Lites go for decent money on eBay, but then I checked online & found it's still under warranty! Sending it out today (on Nintendo's dime!), will wait & see if it can be fixed! If not, they said they'd replace it - if it's not a covered repair there's still eBay![/QUOTE]

Follow-up: UPS delivered a brand-spankin' new DS Lite to my door tonight! The kid had apparently spilled something inside the one I sent in according to the repair report that came with the new one.

An hour's worth of computer work for a brand new DS Lite? Yep, that was a good trade! :D

Thanks to the Half-Price Books Coupons I got the following after many trips to use the 50% off:

Final Fantasy 3 with mint box, map, and manual - $15
Lost Vikings 2 cartridge - $5
Makai Kingdom guide - $2
Disgaea 2 guide - $2
Digimon world with case and manual - $2

Along with some books I've wanted for a while.

GoodWill:
original GameBoy in a badass brief case style case with these games (all in plastic cases):
Zelda Link's Awakening w/ manual
A Bug's Life
Toy Story
Pocahontas
Rocket Power Gettin Air
Frogger
Super Mario Land 2 manual only

$7.99 for all

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back