Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Daw19yoyo']A complete Ocarina of Time.......WHY YOU NO BUY IT!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Because thats around Ebay price, which seems to be $15-30. I dont go to GW to pay Ebay or used gamestore prices on stuff. If it was sealed I wouldve been on that in a heartbeat.

Got a complete Bio Hazard Battle for Sega Genesis today for $2.99

Jackal for NES for $2

Nothin stellar, but I was happy with it.

[quote name='juangrande386']Because thats around Ebay price, which seems to be $15-30. I dont go to GW to pay Ebay or used gamestore prices on stuff. If it was sealed I wouldve been on that in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

If you go only for amazing deals you won't get much. Also, you're allowed to haggle.

Good stuff at 3 thrift stores today. Probably went to 5 or 6 overall.

IMAG0066.jpg

NES System (works perfectly, tested at Goodwill) with Light Gun, controllers and hook-ups $9.99
Star Wars Game $1.99
Battletoads $1.99

IMAG0067.jpg

Sorry for horrible pictures. These were all at one thrift store. (edited because im an idiot)
X-Wing Collector Series
Outlaws
Age of Empires III Gold Edition (bought at goodwill where I got the NES system and games)
Sims 2 Double Deluxe
Sims 2 Bon Voyage
Blast Lacrosse (same as Age of Empires)
Loom
Day of The Tentacle

And the find of the day!!! This was at a garage sale. Sorry. I don't want to post another place.
IMAG0068.jpg

Mickey Mouse Disco
Mickey Unrapped
Mickey's Rock Around The Mouse

[quote name='schuerm26']Sorry for horrible pictures. These were all at one thrift store. (edited because im an idiot)
X-Wing Collector Series
Outlaws
Age of Empires III Gold Edition (bought at goodwill where I got the NES system and games)
Sims 2 Double Deluxe
Sims 2 Bon Voyage
Blast Lacrosse (same as Age of Empires)
Loom
Day of The Tentacle [/quote]

I have the outlaws strategy guide if you want to trade :D

I had a great score at the local Salvation Army. Paid $25 total.

DSCN6499.JPG

Some of the cases are cracked but the games are all complete and mint. Already have Tomba! and RE2 so those are getting flipped.

DSCN6498.JPG

Saturn games are nothing special but again, they're mint and they were cheap additions to the collection. Gambled and lost on FFXI Vana'diel Collection 2008 PC...only the PS2 version is valuable.

[quote name='Survivalism']If you go only for amazing deals you won't get much. Also, you're allowed to haggle.[/QUOTE]

Never thought about haggling at GW actually. I either find something or I dont with a few days like today. This particular GW just thinks they can walk next door to the gamestore and see what their prices are and mark them the same. Then the games just sit in the case for months. I already have OOT on Gamecube and N64 and have the 3DS game preordered so this wouldve been a flip on Ebay if it was normal $4 game price.

went by GW right before closeing got a mint copy of FF7 for $2. woman said that it was $2 per disc and told her no it should be $2 same thing happend the other day when i picked up FF8 got it for $2 as well need to pick up disc one cause it was missing but i figure that was worth it as well. also got 2 pairs of toddlers jordans for $3

My Goodwill actually had a 3DS game today. They had Lego Pirates of the Caribbean for $18. I jumped on it. First Lego game I've had since Lego Island on the PC. Also found a complete copy of Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast for $3.

[quote name='BlueSwim']My Goodwill actually had a 3DS game today. They had Lego Pirates of the Caribbean for $18. I jumped on it. First Lego game I've had since Lego Island on the PC. Also found a complete copy of Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast for $3.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad find on the 3DS game, but who is pricing these things? Shouldn't it be way cheaper than that? Especially if used. :nottalking:

[quote name='sdragon']Not a bad find on the 3DS game, but who is pricing these things? Shouldn't it be way cheaper than that? Especially if used. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

Considering someone bought it, I'd say they did a good job of pricing it.

[quote name='sdragon']Not a bad find on the 3DS game, but who is pricing these things? Shouldn't it be way cheaper than that? Especially if used. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]Normally, I'd agree with you. But with Lego:pOTC, $18 was actually $17 less than GameStop's used price for it. It appears that the game itself hadn't been played before, either. It did the initial setting up of the game card's save data when I popped it in when I got home.

My Goodwill's pricing structure on games goes like this:

NES/PS1/Dreamcast/most PS2 games: $3
N64 sports/Game Gear games: $2
SNES/Genesis/Gamecube/Xbox: $4-5
Newer games: $10 or more

[quote name='juangrande386']Because thats around Ebay price, which seems to be $15-30. I dont go to GW to pay Ebay or used gamestore prices on stuff. If it was sealed I wouldve been on that in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

Depending on box condition, it could be worth picking up and then flipping the cartridge (you can always pick these up for cheaper later).

[quote name='BlueSwim']Normally, I'd agree with you. But with Lego:pOTC, $18 was actually $17 less than GameStop's used price for it. It appears that the game itself hadn't been played before, either. It did the initial setting up of the game card's save data when I popped it in when I got home.

Newer games: $10 or more[/QUOTE]

My Goodwill's pricing absolutely sucks sometimes. Almost every single video game, regardless of console, is $3.99. This is good for some rare gems, but sucks for the common PS1 games.

Their pricing structure on consoles is weird too. Today I got a Gamecube for $3.99, but passed on a PS1 for $24.99.

Can't seem to get my camera to work, so I guess I'll just have to list what I got.

All at one store, I got the following guides for 50 cents each:

Spider-Man 2
Final Fantasy X-2
StarCraft
Dungeons and Dragons Temple of Elemental Evil
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War
Diablo II

Spider-Man 2 was on top, so I was a little surprised to find all the gems underneath it all. I was definitely happy at the price point as well.

At Goodwill, I just got a console only Gamecube for $3.99. No wires or anything, but for $4 I couldn't say no.

I got Mafia 2 and the game guide, $3.50 for both in excellent condition. Never would have imagined seeing it in GW.

I went to my car for only several minutes and they had a ton of new NES/N64/SNES games, most of the good ones were taken and I got several.. only about 3 minutes past.

Wow - never noticed this thread before.

I usually go to GW for boardgames, but occasionally have scored some videogame deals.

Original XBox $10, 3 wireless controllers $3 each, Halo 2 $3
Atari Anthology for $3
(360) Batman Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition for $8.99

How do you guys know what old system games (Nintendo, PS1 etc) are worth anything? Is there an updated price guide, or a list of good games to pick up if we see them at a thrift store?

[quote name='reapersaurus']Wow - never noticed this thread before.

I usually go to GW for boardgames, but occasionally have scored some videogame deals.

Original XBox $10, 3 wireless controllers $3 each, Halo 2 $3
Atari Anthology for $3
(360) Batman Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition for $8.99

How do you guys know what old system games (Nintendo, PS1 etc) are worth anything? Is there an updated price guide, or a list of good games to pick up if we see them at a thrift store?[/QUOTE]

Try these:

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

http://www.racketboy.com/guide/the-rarest-and-most-valuable-video-games

[quote name='chefgamer']went by GW right before closeing got a mint copy of FF7 for $2. woman said that it was $2 per disc and told her no it should be $2 same thing happend the other day when i picked up FF8 got it for $2 as well need to pick up disc one cause it was missing but i figure that was worth it as well. also got 2 pairs of toddlers jordans for $3[/QUOTE]

Were you seriously going to argue about $4 extra on Final Fantasy VII?....

[quote name='Organization_XIII']Were you seriously going to argue about $4 extra on Final Fantasy VII?....[/QUOTE]
no i was just telling her what i normally pay when i got in there for unmarked games they mark all there other games for more when they have just one disc and i am gona save a buck any way i can call me a cheapass

[quote name='BlueSwim']Normally, I'd agree with you. But with Lego:pOTC, $18 was actually $17 less than GameStop's used price for it. It appears that the game itself hadn't been played before, either. It did the initial setting up of the game card's save data when I popped it in when I got home.

Newer games: $10 or more[/QUOTE]
This is what I can tell from my stores:
Cartridge - $1.50
Jewel case - $3.00 (although it's pretty much always rung up as a CD for $1)
DVD Case - $4.00 - $6.00, really depends on who prices it
Controllers - $2.00

And consoles is really random. A friend of mine works at my Goodwill though, so I just ask him to price stuff with no price tag ;)

One thing that irritates me though is that they sell stuff piece by piece. I found a bag of dreamcast cords and a controller, but they didn't bring out the console (and sit it on another shelf) until 10 minutes later, thankfully I was still there, and I just stuck the console in the bag with the rest of it.

Picked up LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth 2 and KOTOR 2 (both pc) from goodwill for $6.36

There was a KOTOR 1 for pc too that I left behind, turns out the value of these on PC are opposite of what they are on xbox (on PC the first KOTOR is worth more). Somebody else snagged it, but oh well; I flipped the two I acquired for $16 in profit.

Picked up the following

NES with all the hookups except power, 2 controllers, gun, and 3 games CIB (contra, double dribble, and life force) - 21.50

Might have overpaid I think. Boxes are in pretty good shape and the manuals are perfect

Looks like it was a good day for PC games, picked up a cardboard box version of Duke Nukem 3D and inside I found 2 loose DN3D Complete Version CDs+manuals, a loose copy of Duke Assault with manual, a Duke!Zone II manual, and a sealed jewel case version of DN3D, paid $5 for the box.

Found a SNES with 1 controller, AV cable, and power adapter for $15, a PS2 console for $20, and a very dirty PS1 for $15. Left them all there.

Also found an Insignia Bluray player for $12. But when I plugged it in, the power button light turned red, and when I pressed the eject button, the cd trey didn't pop out. So I left it there.

There was this one guy scanning books with a small grayish device (a scanner)? I wonder if there is such an app for the iphone.

NES controller-$3. Left some 3rd party DC controllers, N64 controllers with somewhat loose sticks, and a few Gamecube controllers that were $4 apiece. Always no system to go with them controllers it seems. Trust me I look all over harder when I see stuff I didnt the last time I went.

Found some good stuff today.... Everything complete with boxes/manuals in good shape

Sega Master
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - $7
Ghouls'N Ghosts - $7

Sega Saturn
Albert Odyssey - $13
Guardian Heroes - $13
Street Fighter Collection - $15
Street Fighter Alpha 2 - $10
Shinobi Legions - $7
Ultimate Mortal Combat 3 - $7
Alien Trilogy - $9
Die Hard Arcade - $7
Fighters Megamix - $10
Batman Forever - $7

After coupons my total came to $67. I think I did alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Trullyn']Found some good stuff today.... Everything complete with boxes/manuals in good shape

Sega Master
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - $7
Ghouls'N Ghosts - $7

Sega Saturn
Albert Odyssey - $13
Guardian Heroes - $13
Street Fighter Collection - $15
Street Fighter Alpha 2 - $10
Shinobi Legions - $7
Ultimate Mortal Combat 3 - $7
Alien Trilogy - $9
Die Hard Arcade - $7
Fighters Megamix - $10
Batman Forever - $7

After coupons my total came to $67. I think I did alright.[/QUOTE]

Great haul there - If you ever decide to trade off that SMS Ghouls N Ghosts, please let me know. I've been after a copy forever.

Got Mario Paint + Mouse for $6.98 at Goodwill, and an NES Advantage for $6.99. Not a great deal on the NES Advantage, but I couldn't turn it down - I swear, I was the only kid in town that didn't have one of those. Being an adult is awesome. Except for the working/paying rent/budgeting thing.

Stopped by Salvation Army today and got:

Final Fantasy VII (PC) - $2.99

The game is missing the outer pyramid box, but it has the long cardboard box as well as all the various manuals and paperwork that were originally included. This was obscured under a pile of stuff in the front case, lucky I'd owned the game in the past and could identify the box from the small amount of it that was showing.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Coupons? Where did you shop Trullyn?[/QUOTE]

My local Goodwill stores have punch cards for both buying and donating. Is this a local thing or do they all do that? for buying, you get a stamp for every $10 you spend. ten stamps and you get $10 off your next purchase. There is a different card for donating stuff...one stamp for every time you donate (limited to one stamp per day) and after 10 stamps the card is worht $5 off in the store.

My Goodwill sends pretty much all games and systems to Indy for the online auctions. I haven't seen any games or systems except a few PS1 mixed in with CD's in a long time.:bs:

Goodwill finds from the other day

Final Fantasy VII Black label, case, with discs 2 and 3 (missing manual and disc 1)
Cart only Mega Man 6 NES
Cart Only Super Smash Bros. N64
Cart Only Super Mario 64 N64
Complete Bloody Roar 1 PSOne

$2 a pop plus student discount, now need to find a disc 1 for that Final Fantasy VII on the cheap

im wondering why would anyone sell items on amazon over ebay?

amazon fees are 15% + $1.35 + .99 for video games

ebay fees are just 12% total (9% ebay + 3% paypal)

or am i missing something?

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']im wondering why would anyone sell items on amazon over ebay?

amazon fees are 15% + $1.35 + .99 for video games

ebay fees are just 12% total (9% ebay + 3% paypal)

or am i missing something?[/QUOTE]

BIN is 15%. And listing fee is $0.50 for 30 days.

Picked up a bunch of NES games today for $2.60 each. TMNT, Dragon Warrior, some others I hadn't heard of but got anyways since they weren't sports games. Going to look them up when I get home from work.

Another great day at the Goodwill. Picked up the following for PS1 for $3:

Final Fantasy 7 Greatest Hits, all 3 discs in good condition, no manual
Resident Evil Directors Cut GH
WWF Smackdown 2
Jet Moto 2 Black Label
Tony Hawk 2 Black Label
and Tony Hawk 3 Black Label

Then I went over to that weird ghetto thrift store where I found that PS1 import of FF4 last week and made another weird find, a sealed copy of Berserk for Atari 2600. I picked it up, because again, it was only $3, and how often do you really see sealed Atari 2600 games? I know it has no value, but it's a cool collectors piece.

Streets of Rage 2, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Super Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat, all complete for Genesis $2 apiece at goodwill today. Add those to Tomb Raider 3 and Rampage World tour, both PS1 and mint/complete/BL for $1 each rung up as CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back