Thrift Store Thread 2012

Picked up the following today at a local pawn shop:
BFkZA.jpg
-- $3
9rSBT.jpg
-- $5, remember this was somewhat rare, so decided to pick it up
gK0Bq.jpg
-- $10, heard a lot about this game, finally got to own a (black) label copy of it.

haha okay i think crazy Goodwill is on crack.

cartridge only Banjo Kazooie- $20
cartridge only DK Country- $13
2 dirty SNES controllers- $15 sticker on each, thrown on top of the pile of $4 controllers for other systems.

Here's what I don't get about Goodwill. Their whole thing is about "supporting the mission" and they hang their hats on finding jobs for homeless and hard-luck people...you know, the ones that need the job. Yet I go into the two or three by my house, and it's nothing but high schoolers working. I must be missing something. That and the whole overpricing of anything electronic.

[quote name='TheHeef']Here's what I don't get about Goodwill. Their whole thing is about "supporting the mission" and they hang their hats on finding jobs for homeless and hard-luck people...you know, the ones that need the job. Yet I go into the two or three by my house, and it's nothing but high schoolers working. I must be missing something. That and the whole overpricing of anything electronic.[/QUOTE]

At the GWs around here, they keep the special needs people in the back, to sort or go out and get donation drop-offs and whatnot.

[quote name='sp00ge']At the GWs around here, they keep the special needs people in the back, to sort or go out and get donation drop-offs and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's how they do it. The handicapped people they give jobs to all work in the back.

[quote name='TheHeef'] That and the whole overpricing of anything electronic.[/QUOTE]
That's the way most of the Salvation Army stores are around here. The only one that doesn't seem to really overprice most gaming stuff is the one I found the scratched up GTA IV at last week for $5.

Most hilarious pricing I ever saw at a thrift store for games though HAD to be the one Ithaca(NY) area Salvation Army. They had a handful of PS3 games in(Resident Evil 5, Resistance, etc) and not a single one of them was under $19.99 in price.:shock:

I bet if I went back there tomorrow they probably STILL have those games sitting there.

Their DVD/CD prices weren't much better either.

[quote name='spmahn']Yep, that's how they do it. The handicapped people they give jobs to all work in the back.[/QUOTE]

Guess that explains how they come up with these prices on this junk! Ba-zing!

fuck goodwill. I mean, I'm sure they do good and donate to the community and all, but it's been probably a year since I've seen anything reasonably priced there. Im sure clothes and stuff are fine but almost anything else there is priced the same as or more than most other stores that are for profit.

I was able to secure a brand new carters' baby outfit for $5.00 at a local thrift shop near me with the original tags plus the thrift shops tags. I purchased it yesterday and everything in the store was 50% off for MLK day. I looked up the outfit when I got home and found out it retailed for $12.99 on amazon! Great success! Ideally, I'd like to find an old working SNES and some games to go along with it. I've seen some finds in this thread and the 2011 thread that are quite amazing. I've never actually gotten into thrift shopping, but I believe I'm becoming addicted.

[quote name='Appleinthetree']I was able to secure a brand new carters' baby outfit for $5.00 at a local thrift shop near me with the original tags plus the thrift shops tags. I purchased it yesterday and everything in the store was 50% off for MLK day. I looked up the outfit when I got home and found out it retailed for $12.99 on amazon! Great success! Ideally, I'd like to find an old working SNES and some games to go along with it. I've seen some finds in this thread and the 2011 thread that are quite amazing. I've never actually gotten into thrift shopping, but I believe I'm becoming addicted.[/QUOTE]
Thrift store deal hunting is absolutely incredible, though you definitely have to watch where you sit sometimes in these stores.

I decided to jokingly sit down on one of those old school type school desks that they had received at the one further off store.

While I was trying to get the attention of my friend I was there with, a bunch of tiny lil red spiders started crawling out from underneath the desk portion of the chair. I'd never jumped up from anywhere so quick in my life.:lol:

Here's my grade book for thrift stores. I know results may vary based on area, but this should be general overview. Also until I actually looked, I thought we only had 2 thrift stores in my area, we actually have about 20.

(F) Insert Name's Thirft Store, Usually run by two types of women. One that collects bric a brac/ knickknacks/ various figurine trinkets as well as old old overpriced junk. Like a Pentium II 466 mhz computer with a yellow monitor for 500 dollars. The other type, a on the cusp of being a hipster but too old woman that has various higher end items at high prices. You could likely see a Nintendo/Super Nintendo for sale with a Mario title inside. This too would also be overpriced because it has been hipsterized. These are worth going into once or if you are bored, twice a year.

(C) Goodwill, these are everywhere. Usually the size of a small supermarket (big for a thift store) these are best if you are looking for clothes. They have a very high turnaround of inventory. So you are looking for games, etc, you gotta get them within an hour or two of of being put on the shelves. The goodwill here routinely has a line outside every morning. With the exception of the line, this has been the same experience that I have gotten at every single one in other areas.

(C+) Salvation Army, Similar to goodwill but with more ghetto inventory. This could be because of the various discounts that people can get. Seniors, Students, Government employees, (Wednesday)

(B+) Hospice, This place in my opinion benefits from having a specific cause. I assume companies can get tax breaks from donating here, as I see various dumps of specific types of items. Motorcycle Gear, Old Dell/HP's with desks. This place also gets a lot of antiques, maybe from families/people under hospice donating there own items. This place is more expensive on their clothing and antiques, but has a general price for games 1.99. This likely keeps a lot of ghetto people from going, as I normally just see old people and hipsters buying clothes.

(A-) Humane Society, Also imo benefits from having a specific cause. The one here has a old man that comes in every now and then and rights them a donation check sometimes of upwards of 35,000. Many Animal lovers come here for pet supplies and thus also make their donations here. A lot of nice items come in usually from people clearing out their house.

TheEternal, I was in Gainseville over the weekend. May have tore in to your Humane Society thrift stores PS2 section a bit :p

Pretty decent prices there, and a decent selection. I'm in St. Augustine, and between here and Jax your HS thrifts and GW descriptions should be switched, never see games at the HS thrift but the St. Augustine goodwill always has some pretty decent stuff. Insert Name stores are also way better then you describe here, more like a C+ or B-.

Glad you got something Aptanor, If I go north, ill definitely will check out the GW :).

My main issue with the various self-owned thrift stores is they don't seem to have a lot of new items coming in.

Also here is a funny goodwill story from when I was in Daytona.

My GF at the time had to go up to Daytona for a day for work. On the way back I saw a goodwill and got her to stop. Within the first minute or two of shopping, I got some mad stomach pains. One of those, you don't care where you are, you have to go because it can't be held. So I hit up the bathroom and complete my quest. While washing my hands I notice the diarrhea coming back up. It starts splattering on the floor and quickly is heading for the door. I rush out grab my GF who was looking at clothes and just get her to drop everything cause we gotta go. As we head out, I see poop creeping from under the door to where the clothes were.

[quote name='Theenternal']Glad you got something Aptanor, If I go north, ill definitely will check out the GW :).

My main issue with the various self-owned thrift stores is they don't seem to have a lot of new items coming in.

Also here is a funny goodwill story from when I was in Daytona.

My GF at the time had to go up to Daytona for a day for work. On the way back I saw a goodwill and got her to stop. Within the first minute or two of shopping, I got some mad stomach pains. One of those, you don't care where you are, you have to go because it can't be held. So I hit up the bathroom and complete my quest. While washing my hands I notice the diarrhea coming back up. It starts splattering on the floor and quickly is heading for the door. I rush out grab my GF who was looking at clothes and just get her to drop everything cause we gotta go. As we head out, I see poop creeping from under the door to where the clothes were.[/QUOTE]

I am not gonna go there but the only thing I have to say is most bathrooms have a drain for this very purpose, so theoretically a backup like you described would not happen, not that it wouldn't back up but it wouldn't in the way you described. In fact in some states I think this is a law, if you have a public bathroom there must be a drain on the floor.

As far as I know I haven't seen a thrift here with a public restroom though, most have signs on the door no public restrooms.

Finds from the past week or so:
GKfsF.jpg
Finally got a car, so I can go to the Goodwill ~30 miles from my house. I'd say it's worth it.
CDX and SNES were $15 each, both work.
Controllers were all $3 each.
Not pictured is another wavebird that I traded in to a local game shop. (the one I still have is missing the battery cover, unfortunately)

Holy crap a CDX! Dude you guys have all the luck. My local thrift stores has NOTHING. Best thing I ever saw was an old model 1 genesis, with no cords.

[quote name='faa8146']Finds from the past week or so:
GKfsF.jpg
Finally got a car, so I can go to the Goodwill ~30 miles from my house. I'd say it's worth it.
Not pictured is another wavebird that I traded in to a local game shop. (the one I still have is missing the battery cover, unfortunately)[/QUOTE]

I picked up a Wavebird controller from a local GW, but couldn't find the receiver. Been back 3 straight days now, in hope of finding the receiver still attached for a gamecube or something, no luck :(

I'm jealous that you found one with the receiver.

The crazy thing is, the date on the CDX was something like 12/27, and I bought it on 1/9. So I'm pretty sure I finally found a Goodwill where I don't have any competition :drool:

Wow awesome deal on the CDX, make sure to read up on this

"MK-4122 for the SEGA CDX

INPUT: 120V 60Hz 23W
OUTPUT: 9.5V - 1.5 Amp

This power supply is hard to find and is the ONLY one you should use with the SEGA CDX. The Genesis 2 MK-2103 will fit but is under powered. I personally have seen it cause problems, and when you drop down the cash for a SEGA CDX., you don’t want to burn it out by using the wrong power supply! I wouldn’t use it for anything else either."

I saw an CDX on craigslist in Jacksonville during the Xmas break for 45 obo, but was too far to be worth the trip :( I regret it a little even though I have one, I use a cheap model 2 instead.

@SaraAB, I'm no expert on goodwill pooping because I've only done it once, but next time hopefully it has a drain :)

I'd love to find a Sega CDX at reasonable price, shoot I'd be happy to find a working Sega CD Model 1 or 2 at a thrift store. Good find!

Although, I did find a boxed 32x a long time ago, had everything need to play. Oh yeah, I found an X'eye years ago so I suppose that's as close as I'll get to a working Sega CD.

You guys would kill me for not purchasing my lunch time finds at my local thrift store. I found a Wall E similar to a few posts ago, it works I pressed the buttons and it moves. It's the Wall E without the remote. It was 6 bucks and is going for $40 on ebay. I found a foosball table used of course, its a stand alone one-$50.00. I didn't get the brand name, so I'm not sure if its worth anything. I also found a 1969 train set for $1.99, I tried looking the price of that up and was unsuccessful. I found a army doll for $5.00 and looked it up it seemed to be overpriced, after careful examination it looked newer rather than older. I also found some small toy helicopters with repair kits, they both seemed to be missing remotes. The only item I wished I rolled the dice on was the foosball table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning: Rant

Went to local GW to see if I can find a reciever for the GC wavebird. Asked one of the employee if they have any GC in the back room (I reasoned that the Wavebird controller I picked up over the weekend separated from its receiver which was left attached to the GC), he told me that there was two GC today, but as soon as it got out of the backroom, this Hispanic man grabbed both. Apparently, him, along with other couple people, are standing near the door leading from the backroom into the store, and crowds any carts that get roll out. ARGH!

I walked by that Hispanic man's cart, and saw that one of the GC has a GBA player attached to it.

/rant

the x-eye is a better find than a sega cd either model, and can support s-video depending on which one you got it may or may not need a mod.

@aptanor thats a shame would have been nice for a CAG to get it :) where exactly are you located?

[quote name='Appleinthetree']You guys would kill me for not purchasing my lunch time finds at my local thrift store. I found a Wall E similar to a few posts ago, it works I pressed the buttons and it moves. It's the Wall E without the remote. It was 6 bucks and is going for $40 on ebay. I found a foosball table used of course, its a stand alone one-$50.00. I didn't get the brand name, so I'm not sure if its worth anything. I also found a 1969 train set for $1.99, I tried looking the price of that up and was unsuccessful. I found a army doll for $5.00 and looked it up it seemed to be overpriced, after careful examination it looked newer rather than older. I also found some small toy helicopters with repair kits, they both seemed to be missing remotes. The only item I wished I rolled the dice on was the foosball table.[/QUOTE]

I would not think that $50 for a thrift store foosball table would typically be a good deal. Most of the brands that are easy to find are nothing but junk and would be hard to sell if that is your angle. Some of them may be ok, but if you want to get into foosball your really need to find a Tornado table in good condition. Nothing else comes close, at least not for long.

Picked up red original Game Boy. Anyone have any idea on the rarity of this? I've never personally see a colored original Game Boy so I didn't hesitate to pick it up, especially for $1.99. The system is in flawless condition. The screen has a few minor scratches and I haven't tested it out yet.

[quote name='Tsel']Picked up red original Game Boy. Anyone have any idea on the rarity of this? I've never personally see a colored original Game Boy so I didn't hesitate to pick it up, especially for $1.99. The system is in flawless condition. The screen has a few minor scratches and I haven't tested it out yet.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like it was part of the PLay it Loud series. A red one with the box recently sold for $36 on ebay.

[quote name='yourlefthand']It sounds like it was part of the PLay it Loud series. A red one with the box recently sold for $36 on ebay.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was finding out. Seems like I'll at least be able to make a profit lol.

[quote name='Tsel']That's what I was finding out. Seems like I'll at least be able to make a profit lol.[/QUOTE]

Cheapest on Amazon is $49.99, if you want to go that route.

[quote name='sp00ge']Cheapest on Amazon is $49.99, if you want to go that route.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, that's pretty awesome. I picked it up on a whim mostly because I'd never seen one and it was only $1.99. Even if it turned out to be worthless, it was a measly $2. I can handle that loss, but looks like I won't be losing on this one. :cool:

[quote name='Theenternal']the x-eye is a better find than a sega cd either model, and can support s-video depending on which one you got it may or may not need a mod.

@aptanor thats a shame would have been nice for a CAG to get it :) where exactly are you located?[/QUOTE]
Downtown St. Augustine, but my fiance (36 days!) is in Jax, so I'm up there frequently enough to keep an eye on their CL as well.

[quote name='faa8146']Finds from the past week or so:
GKfsF.jpg
Not pictured is another wavebird that I traded in to a local game shop. (the one I still have is missing the battery cover, unfortunately)[/QUOTE]
Congrats on the CDX! I found one at a Goodwill about a month ago or so (posted it here, I believe). Sold it on eBay for over 10x what I paid.

I don't find much anymore since I usually only visit on weekends or maybe once during the weekdays but...

Final Fantasy X guide
Lord of the Rings Strider Goblet (Lights up too!)
Audiobooks
Metroid 2

Couple weeks back I found a copy of Harvest Moon 64...that was a good day.

I found some good things over the past couple of days

Super Mario Kart SNES
N64 Gameshark
KOTOR II PC
Sega Genesis with 32x but no cables for $8

[quote name='wheels']I found some good things over the past couple of days

Super Mario Kart SNES
N64 Gameshark
KOTOR II PC
Sega Genesis with 32x but no cables for $8[/QUOTE]

Good luck finding the proper connector cable for that 32x. If you find a cable you need to get StarWars Arcade 32x and Doom 32x, two of the better games for the system.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Good luck finding the proper connector cable for that 32x. If you find a cable you need to get StarWars Arcade 32x and Doom 32x, two of the better games for the system.[/QUOTE]

I think I have one still sealed that I got with my sega cd/genesis combo. I wasn't sure if it went with it, but I made sure I'd grabbed it before I left the Garage sale.

[quote name='slowdive21']I think I have one still sealed that I got with my sega cd/genesis combo. I wasn't sure if it went with it, but I made sure I'd grabbed it before I left the Garage sale.[/QUOTE]

Hold onto it like gold because they are near impossible to find. I have seen some online tutorials on how to try to make your own, but that's going to come down to how handy you are and a little luck.

The 32x complete cable for both models is worth more than the 32x itself lol.

I picked up a D&D hardcover manual for a dollar flips for about 20. I also bought a bunch of old 80's sealed baseball card packs for 10 cents. Depending on my luck, I could make a decent amount off it, but will probably just give it to one of my friends. The real treasure was that inside the box of cards was what I assume is the previous owners prom photos lol. I'll upload them when I get back home.

i found a copy of Goldeneye 007: Reloaded for Xbox 360 for $12 at Goodwill. This game wasn't even on my radar, but for $12 I knew I had to pick it up.

Also found a Copy of Skyward Sword for $20 at the same Goodwill. I would have bought it in a second if I didn't already own it.

Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (A bit scratched up but works fine. I'll try to get it fixed up)
Rock n' Roll Racing (Dirty like hell but a good bath of rubbing alcohol had it working like new)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Don't have a N64 to test it out, alas)
Donkey Kong Country 3

Also saw Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World there. Both were 10 so an easy skip for me. Also Kirby's Avalanche but it was like 7...or 8 and I don't like the game so pass on that too. Saw a SFC edition of Aladdin but I left it there. This is all going into the acquire funds for January 31st. The less damage to the wallet the better...=)

Not really an exciting score, but I was happy to pick up Spyro The Dragon (PS1) and I Spy: Spooky Mansion Deluxe (PC) for $1.75 each. They also had Riven, a pinball creation sim, and some other PC games (some still sealed) but I passed.

Went to a few Good Wills yesterday and was surprised by the amount of video game stuff I saw.

Probably about 5 Xboxes, 3 GameCubes, and 4 PlayStations. One store even had a whole shelf of PS2/Xbox games. Also saw a hdd adapter for PS2, but it was in pretty bad shape.

I couldn't find anything worth buying though. It appeared that it had all be combed over by resellers.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Hold onto it like gold because they are near impossible to find. I have seen some online tutorials on how to try to make your own, but that's going to come down to how handy you are and a little luck.[/QUOTE]

this USED to be the case but not so much anymore

there are some guys on ebay producing these cables in larger quanities now and they can be had for $8.95 shipped for the model 2 and 3 genesis

im not affiliated with these guys in any way but figure help some fellow gamers out

heres the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170757198709?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

and if you're trying to pair the 32x with a model 1 genesis this is the ultimate cable for reasonable price which gives you true stereo sound

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20065305900...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2244wt_904

hope this helps some of you guys out

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (A bit scratched up but works fine. I'll try to get it fixed up)
[/QUOTE]

curious but how do you plan on doing it? the toothpaste way?

I have been looking for ways to clean up scratched up discs.

I remember i asked gamestop once to use their machine but they wouldn't :/ unless i traded it in

[quote name='theking20']curious but how do you plan on doing it? the toothpaste way?

I remember i asked gamestop once to use their machine but they wouldn't :/ unless i traded it in[/QUOTE]

I have a cheap bench buffer from Harbor Freight. It takes some practice (and quite a few junk practice discs to ruin) to get the feel for it, but the results are usually better than anything an automated buffer can do.

[quote name='theking20']curious but how do you plan on doing it? the toothpaste way?

I remember i asked gamestop once to use their machine but they wouldn't :/ unless i traded it in[/QUOTE]

I have my own little CD cleaner/buffer thingy at home. It usually does the trick, even if I have to do it once or twice.

Oh wow I guess those cables make picking up dirt cheap 32x systems that come with nothing else worthwhile provided you can get the system really cheap, a couple dollars at most.

bread's done
Back