Thrift Store Thread 2012

A local thrift store has an "Annex Store" in the back, with all the "junk" that they don't want cluttering up the nicer store. THIS is where the true finds are.

One trip...late in 2011 (right before Xmas) netted:

Megaman Legends
Megaman Legends 2
Megaman X5
and Spiderman 2: Enter Electro

...for EIGHT BUCKS total.

pick ups at saver
download

This was $2, not really sure what its worth
download

Also $2, again dont know what it is worth
download

Picked this up for $12 :)

[quote name='Techman16']pick ups at saver
download

This was $2, not really sure what its worth
download

Also $2, again dont know what it is worth
download

Picked this up for $12 :)[/QUOTE]

That's a lot of blanks for $16!

[quote name='Chronis']Nice find out the Cube. i like the RE4 skin. That Ice Hockey cart looks beyond grody though. Hopefully it works.[/QUOTE]

ya I think its mostly the label, looks like I gotta get an atari 2600 and try it out :D

[quote name='sp00ge']I have a cheap bench buffer from Harbor Freight. It takes some practice (and quite a few junk practice discs to ruin) to get the feel for it, but the results are usually better than anything an automated buffer can do.[/QUOTE]

We have a machine at work that makes the discs come out looking brand new. It only cost a few cents per disc to use it and does about 50 at a time. Too bad I don't have access to it. Does the Harbor freight one produce similar results? I hadn't seen a small one that do much more than take out big scratches and leave a haze.

[quote name='Theenternal']We have a machine at work that makes the discs come out looking brand new. It only cost a few cents per disc to use it and does about 50 at a time. Too bad I don't have access to it. Does the Harbor freight one produce similar results? I hadn't seen a small one that do much more than take out big scratches and leave a haze.[/QUOTE]

With enough practice, yes, but it all comes down to pressure and angle control. Personally, I can take a wrecked CD and make it look close to new, except for really deep gouges. Those can only be buffed down so much before risking further damage.

I've even restored a few ringed 360 games, some horribly ringed and unreadable, to completely 100% playable.

But trust me, it took months and many practice discs to get the method down just right.

I've got one of the JFJ Disc Repair Machines. I lucked into getting one super cheap which is great cause buying them new is like $500. I can pretty much repair any disc, except for really deep gouges. I've repaired plenty of those rings that 360s can cause on discs

[quote name='slowdive21']My library has a "DiscChek machine". I was thinking about volunteering, just so I could try it out. ;)[/QUOTE]

There is one for $3,000 on ebay. I should buy it and then you guys can send me your discs and I will restore them for $1 each. 25 years from now it will have paid for itself.

2 plastic candy cane tubes filled with Skittles- $0.59 apiece

Complete 1/8th scale RC Mario Kart- $45, these are $120 at Walmart. Super clean, hardly any marks or scuffs. Charging the battery right now. Its like the height of my cats.....im gonna run over the cats :p

My recent finding at a salvation army was 3 ps1 games:
Yu-gi-oh! Forbidden Memories with the case no manual
Medal Of Honor: Underground complete
Monster Rancher 2 complete

Ooh, nice find with Monster Rancher 2. That's probably my favorite PS1 game. It's the reason why I don't throw away ANY CD's. I've got spindles full of hundreds of AOL trials, travel DVD's, and more. I know you can just burn a special CD to get whatever monster you want, but it was so much more fun to be surprised.

Was this the SA on Ming by any chance? That's the only one I ever see with games. Goodwill usually has a good selection (especially the one by Winco on Coffee Rd.), but they usually charge too much.

@ZombieToast: I found those PS1 games at the ming salvation army. I have found games there, sometimes I'm lucky sometimes I'm not. I tend to go when I have a day off to the goodwill on white ln near gosford road and the salvation on ming. It is tough there as the gamestors and the ottos video game shop actually send there employees to the thrifts store to collect and bring back to the store to sell at high prices.

got a new in box (and in plastic clamshell) N64 gameshark for $4
I like it cus I like n64 stuff, an odd find for sure

Finds at the thrifts I hit today:

Lil neighborhood one down the line:

Nada

Salvation Army #1:

:dvd:Seasons 1&2 of Smallville-$10 each
:ps2:Mega Man Anniversary Collection-$5

I couldn't find anybody to open the case to let me check the discs on the Smallville seasons or the MMAC, so I left both.:wall:

Salvation Army #2:

A buncha PS1 games including Driver, Centipede and some sports titles.
Seasons 2 & 3 of Lost on :dvd: for $10 each

Only thing I picked up there was a complete/mint black label FFVIII that came with an instruction manual AND a lil mini walkthrough guide.

[quote name='200STM']@ZombieToast: I found those PS1 games at the ming salvation army. I have found games there, sometimes I'm lucky sometimes I'm not. I tend to go when I have a day off to the goodwill on white ln near gosford road and the salvation on ming. It is tough there as the gamestors and the ottos video game shop actually send there employees to the thrifts store to collect and bring back to the store to sell at high prices.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I don't think I've ever heard of Otto's but that's pretty lame. I'm really not a fan of most of the local shops in this town.

I think I'll probably check out that Goodwill this weekend. I actually never noticed it until driving by it last week and I've been wanting to stop by. Which reminds me: the Goodwill downtown is actually pretty decent. They sometimes charge too much, but I've found quite a few NES and SNES games there (the one on Oswell gets a few but 99% are sports games).

They very rarely have video games, but there's a place (not sure what the name is) by the Autozone on the corner of Bernard and Union that always has a ton of board games. Just watch out for mice. Heh.

This is the machine we have at work http://www.discchek.com/ecomaster.html, I really need access to it :(. But thanks for the info Sp00ge. ill probably end up getting one.

Earlier in the week I found a box of baseball packs for cheap that I ended up giving away. I still need to scan the prom photo that was inside. I went back yesterday and there was a huge amount of cards that never got brought out. About 40 factory sealed boxes of sports cards wax packs and sets, 12 shoes boxes of cards, and a bunch of binders. I didn't want to buy any of it, because its mostly a lot of junk. But it was 2.50 a box. I couldn't resist. Its basically like opening a surprise box with 36 prize boxes inside, and all the prizes suck. Well KGJ is ok

32983228-260x260-0-0_Fleer+1989+Fleer+Baseball+Factory+Set+Colorful+Box.jpg

1987-topps-wax-box1.jpg

So I bought a few boxes and a binder that had almost 3 complete sets of cards inside, one being upper deck. Gave two boxes away to friends who were thrilled, its like traveling back in time opening them up.

I also passed up some graystations and a n64, im at a limit for those too. I did pick up Rocket and some other soccer game for the N64 for .25 cents each. Apparently that rocket was an ok score. Another thing I can't resist are 1 dollar or less cartridge games. They're durable, and at the least can be sacrificed to save beat up carts of other games.

Had a TON of good finds the past few days, a variety of toys, games, various crap. TONS of collectible disney and other plush Way too much to list, and most of it is for my Amazon store (which had about 300 things added tonight). I literally have a mountain of toys and stuff next to my desk, with a ton more to be listed.

The big winner of today, however, has to be a 7.5' Prelit Virginia Pine christmas tree from Target. Original price was $250, picked it up from GW for $5. The only problem is half of the lights on the top section didn't light up. After about 5 minutes of bulb-wiggling, I found the culprit bulb, which had bent connector leads, straightened them out and presto, the tree lit up as it should. Not a bad $5 spent.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Finds at the thrifts I hit today:

Lil neighborhood one down the line:

Nada

Salvation Army #1:

:dvd:Seasons 1&2 of Smallville-$10 each
:ps2:Mega Man Anniversary Collection-$5

I couldn't find anybody to open the case to let me check the discs on the Smallville seasons or the MMAC, so I left both.:wall:

Salvation Army #2:

A buncha PS1 games including Driver, Centipede and some sports titles.
Seasons 2 & 3 of Lost on :dvd: for $10 each

Only thing I picked up there was a complete/mint black label FFVIII that came with an instruction manual AND a lil mini walkthrough guide.[/QUOTE]

FYI-I think Target has the Smallville season 1 and 2 double pack on sale for $15 this week.

[quote name='sp00ge']The big winner of today, however, has to be a 7.5' Prelit Virginia Pine christmas tree from Target. Original price was $250, picked it up from GW for $5. The only problem is half of the lights on the top section didn't light up. After about 5 minutes of bulb-wiggling, I found the culprit bulb, which had bent connector leads, straightened them out and presto, the tree lit up as it should. Not a bad $5 spent.[/QUOTE]
I don't know why some people spend so much freakin' money on those trees when they can be bought super cheap a week or two after Christmas. Last week, we picked-up a brand new six-footer at the store for about $6.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I don't know why some people spend so much freakin' money on those trees when they can be bought super cheap a week or two after Christmas. Last week, we picked-up a brand new six-footer at the store for about $6.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's the thing. At Target, when everything went 90% off a few weeks back, we picked up an 8' Multicolor LED tree for $30. That was a killer deal, but this one takes the cake. I just don't know what we're going to do with this one, since our house is way to small for two trees.

Some SA pickups.

9157d5d3a704ad23f722260281d4d3b4.jpg

NES: Karnov, Excitebike, Donkey Kong 3, Amagon
PS2: Extermination
Halo: First Strike novel
Empty PS1 Saga Frontier case (depressing)

Total: $8

7679e614f392ecb6474157880ce62ae6.jpg

Banjo Kazooie and "Sneak Peek at Pokemon" VHS tapes - $.50 each
:pc: Lionheart (sealed) - $.50

I actually got one of those Pokemon tapes in the mail back in the day. Pretty audacious of nintendo to just send tapes with commercials on 'em to kids' houses, but I guess it worked. Anyway I just bought it as a cheap nostalgia piece. It's probably on youtube but do yourself a favor and don't look it up.

Wow, I remember getting preview tapes from Nintendo! All of my friends would come over and we would watch them. I am pretty sure that the 2 or 3 different copies that then sent me translated into atleast a dozen game sales.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I actually got one of those Pokemon tapes in the mail back in the day. Pretty audacious of nintendo to just send tapes with commercials on 'em to kids' houses, but I guess it worked. Anyway I just bought it as a cheap nostalgia piece. It's probably on youtube but do yourself a favor and don't look it up.[/QUOTE]
I always thought stuff like that was really cool as a kid. I have a similar tape somewhere for Wild 9 and I thought it was one of the neatest things in the world. Of course, we didn't have Youtube back then.

I only have one of those old Nintendo VHS tapes. Mine was a N64 hype tape. Don't remember what games it actually featured. probably Mario 64 was one.

[quote name='Chronis']I only have one of those old Nintendo VHS tapes. Mine was a N64 hype tape. Don't remember what games it actually featured. probably Mario 64 was one.[/QUOTE]

I have that Banjo tape, except still sealed.

Decided to stop at the SA store by my house on the way home from work. Glad I did!

Fat PS2, one original controller, one generic controller, and two memory cards. $19.

It was missing an AV cable, but I have a few hundred to spare. Happy Friday, indeed.

[quote name='TheHeef']Decided to stop at the SA store by my house on the way home from work. Glad I did!

Fat PS2, one original controller, one generic controller, and two memory cards. $19.

It was missing an AV cable, but I have a few hundred to spare. Happy Friday, indeed.[/QUOTE]

I'm always leery of fat PS2's found in thrift stores. Almost every one I've found has had a broken/removed warranty label, and most likely doesn't work.

[quote name='sp00ge']I'm always leery of fat PS2's found in thrift stores. Almost every one I've found has had a broken/removed warranty label, and most likely doesn't work.[/QUOTE]
Me too. Although my only really bad experience with a used fat PS2 was from a local shop. I bought the system for like $10-15 as a 'project'. But apparently the prior owner had raised the laser's height.

When I went to play one of my formerly mint condition PS2 games it left a nice scratch ring around the disc since the laser was too high up.:bomb:

Of course, I immediately resold that thing(after getting the local shop to buff out my game it messed up) to Gamestop, which they gladly took in.:evil:

I did kinda feel bad and I cringed when they tested it with a disc cuz you could clearly hear it mangling the disc all up to read it.:cry:

I was tentative, too. I figured worst case scenario, it doesn't work and I sell it for parts and I get my money back. But this was good luck. No tampering on the stickers, plus I tried a blue disc and a normal disc and they both played. The only drawback is that the fan ran a little loud. I might run a few more discs to make sure it's not a problem.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I always thought stuff like that was really cool as a kid. I have a similar tape somewhere for Wild 9 and I thought it was one of the neatest things in the world. Of course, we didn't have Youtube back then.[/QUOTE]

Heck yeah it was cool - but when you're a kid you don't always notice (or care) when you're being aggressively marketed to. Like I said though, it worked, that tape made an instant pokemon freak out of my 10-year-old self.

I never got any of those other N64 tapes since I never actually owned a Nintendo product until Pokemon. :lol: The Pokemon one is more about the cartoon and merchandise than the games though.

I've got a donkey kong country exposed VHS and HotNewz64 VHS Jet force gemini/DK64.

I bought them at Garage sale though. I didn't have a N64...skipped to PS1.

[quote name='sp00ge']I'm always leery of fat PS2's found in thrift stores. Almost every one I've found has had a broken/removed warranty label, and most likely doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

9/10 times these old models just need the rails greased for the laser assembly and the laser cleaned. it's kind of a fun project and very simple to take it apart and grease the rails/clean the laser lens. I picked up a fat PS2 with network adapter and hard drive at a thrift shop for $10 as is (meaning it doesn't work) and had it cleaned and repaired in 20 min.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Heck yeah it was cool - but when you're a kid you don't always notice (or care) when you're being aggressively marketed to. Like I said though, it worked, that tape made an instant pokemon freak out of my 10-year-old self.[/QUOTE]
Hey, as long as I get something cool out of it, I still don't care about aggressive marketing!

[quote name='slowdive21']I've got a donkey kong country exposed VHS and HotNewz64 VHS Jet force gemini/DK64.

I bought them at Garage sale though. I didn't have a N64...skipped to PS1.[/QUOTE]

LOL I have those same exact ones along with a few others. Was finding them left and right at garage sales last year for .25 - .50 each.

[quote name='jer7583']9/10 times these old models just need the rails greased for the laser assembly and the laser cleaned. it's kind of a fun project and very simple to take it apart and grease the rails/clean the laser lens. I picked up a fat PS2 with network adapter and hard drive at a thrift shop for $10 as is (meaning it doesn't work) and had it cleaned and repaired in 20 min.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Invicta 61']LOL I have those same exact ones along with a few others. Was finding them left and right at garage sales last year for .25 - .50 each.[/QUOTE]

Same here. They are had to resist when they are .25 or .50!

I also got the Pac-man Christmas and Secret Video Game Tricks a videocasstte on Nintendo compatable games.I can't bring myself to sell them though.

[quote name='slowdive21']
I also got the Pac-man Christmas and Secret Video Game Tricks a videocasstte on Nintendo compatable games.I can't bring myself to sell them though.[/QUOTE]

Pac-man Christmas? I would never sell that one! I'm going to convert mine to DVD.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Pac-man Christmas? I would never sell that one! I'm going to convert mine to DVD.[/QUOTE]

I just saw this:
Pac-Man: The Complete First Season

I don't think it has the xmas special though, but they would probably include it on season 2 if/when it comes out!

EDIT: It is slated to release 1-31-12!

Today was half-price day at Goodwill, so I picked up some good stuff.
ON6eT.jpg
Intellivision was $6.50, came with "Skiing". It seems to work, but I need to clean the cartridge connector. I found this at the same location that I found the CDX a few weeks back.
Silver gamecube w/2 orange controllers and hookups was $9.

Nice pickups! I have always loved the spice colored gamecube stuff. I really want to import a spice console from japan, gut it and put an american cube in it.

[quote name='faa8146']Today was half-price day at Goodwill, so I picked up some good stuff.
ON6eT.jpg
Intellivision was $6.50, came with "Skiing". It seems to work, but I need to clean the cartridge connector. I found this at the same location that I found the CDX a few weeks back.
Silver gamecube w/2 orange controllers and hookups was $9.[/QUOTE]

Nice find on the Intellivision. I found an Atari 2600 for 5 bucks a few years back, no cables or controllers, but it works after I bought them online.

These games were actually pawn shop finds.

DSC00326.jpg

For a grand total of $6.43!:hot:

These were finds at a Good Will but not sure what that Donkey Kong tape is any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DSC00327.jpg

bread's done
Back