Thrift Store Thread 2012

alien.jpg

Batman.jpg

Laserdiscs were $3 a piece, which is probably more than I should have spent but they're sealed so I figured I might as well go for it. Batman The Animated Series Collectors Edition "The Trials of Harvey Dent" sealed payed $1. Also got a copy of FF IX not in bad shape but missing manual paid a $1.

It's funny, I see Laserdiscs all the time, but in all these years I've never seen the player. Same thing with Betamax, although I see Beta tapes much less often than Laseriscs.

I got Star Wars Dark Forces (PS1) for $2.50. There was also a Crash Bandicoot I wanted but someone stole the disc =(

I also got talking Dug plushie for $5, which I though was a good deal considering how much this stuff is priced at Disneyland.

I've had some good luck lately visiting some local Goodwills/private thrift shops in my area. I spend roughly 3 or 4 hours a week doing it, and tend to get good results fairly often. These pics comprise my finds from roughly the past 3 weeks or so (and roughly a dozen trips to various thrifts).

YardSalesPics196.jpg

I paid between $4 and $6 for all of the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube/DS games. Highlights include a black label copy of Pikmin 2, which I found at an out-of-the way Goodwill. Workers there said a woman had cleaned out a bunch of Gamecube games an hour prior. Ironically, she probably missed the most valuable game in the lot. Paid $5 for it. Also found Phantasy Star Online, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and Star Wars Battlefront I and II for $6 each from a local thrift. Every game pictured was complete and in solid shape, some were even minty. Kept Mario Kart, Phantasy Star, Jedi Knight, and will flip the rest.

YardSalesPics198.jpg

Paid $1 each for most of the PC/PS1 games pictured here, but did pay $4 each for Mega Man Legends and Monster Rancher 2. Duke Nukem CIB was $7, and the N64 and SNES controller were $3 each (both in great shape). Luigi's Mansion guide was 50 cents. Japanese PSP game AI Go was $5. Pokemon Gold (still saves) was $6. Highlight here is Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis for PC, worth about $50. Keeping Duke Nukem, since there is a special little corner in my heart for CIB SNES/N64 games. Did not picture a copy of Legend of Legaia for PS1 (purchased for $4), since I already sold it.

Overall, I hit 2 of my main stores about 3 times per week in the evening, and then just try to check in on various Goodwills/thrifts if I happen to be in the area. I use a smartphone (which I did not purchase just for game hunting) to look up the odd title that I'm not sure about, but at this point I look at 95% of titles and know whether or not it's a winner at a given price point. Definitely takes time to build up that level of knowledge, though. I have a decent job, and do all of this because I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a FX Schmid 5000 piece puzzle that was new for 7 bucks. I was thinking about doing it, but then I think maybe I will just sell it since I should be able to probably get 50 - 70 for it. It seemed like doing it was a good idea at the time, but the box is heavy and I hear all those puzzle pieces inside bouncing around and its like 5 x 6 ft or something. This is from a few months back but I picked up a new Munchkin Cthulu for 5 bucks. I love Lovecraft and Cthulu so I thought I'd get it and play it, but I have nobody to play it with, so I'm just probably gonna sell it then.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I picked up a FX Schmid 5000 piece puzzle that was new for 7 bucks. I was thinking about doing it, but then I think maybe I will just sell it since I should be able to probably get 50 - 70 for it. It seemed like doing it was a good idea at the time, but the box is heavy and I hear all those puzzle pieces inside bouncing around and its like 5 x 6 ft or something. This is from a few months back but I picked up a new Munchkin Cthulu for 5 bucks. I love Lovecraft and Cthulu so I thought I'd get it and play it, but I have nobody to play it with, so I'm just probably gonna sell it then.[/QUOTE]

I've got a couple of sealed fx schmid puzzles at garage sales. Where do you sell them? On amazon, ebay, or is there some better place?

[quote name='Floopy']I've had some good luck lately visiting some local Goodwills/private thrift shops in my area. I spend roughly 3 or 4 hours a week doing it, and tend to get good results fairly often. These pics comprise my finds from roughly the past 3 weeks or so (and roughly a dozen trips to various thrifts).

YardSalesPics196.jpg

I paid between $4 and $6 for all of the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube/DS games. Highlights include a black label copy of Pikmin 2, which I found at an out-of-the way Goodwill. Workers there said a woman had cleaned out a bunch of Gamecube games an hour prior. Ironically, she probably missed the most valuable game in the lot. Paid $5 for it. Also found Phantasy Star Online, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and Star Wars Battlefront I and II for $6 each from a local thrift. Every game pictured was complete and in solid shape, some were even minty. Kept Mario Kart, Phantasy Star, Jedi Knight, and will flip the rest.![/QUOTE]
I'm still kicking myself from a couple of years ago when the one local FYE was clearing out their Xbox titles and they had MULTIPLE copies of :xbox:Morrowind: GOTY sitting in a big cardboard bin. They sat there forever and just when I decided to grab them they finally disappeared. The final cost after all discounts would've been $5 a copy.:bomb:

[quote name='slowdive21']I've got a couple of sealed fx schmid puzzles at garage sales. Where do you sell them? On amazon, ebay, or is there some better place?[/QUOTE]

I 99% of the time stick with eBay for things. I just post it up and let it sit there (I like it better because you can make yours stick out easier than on Amazon).

I've seen the same Schmid puzzle sell for 25 to 100 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-X-Schmid-...735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cbdb42cf)

I have a different one that I haven't seen sold for a while, so I tossed it up for a high price and will just wait it out. I researched and saw it sold for like 75 a year ago.

It seems with the puzzles it depends on the # of pieces and what the puzzle is off. Puppies won't fetch much, but probably one of Christ the Redeemer or something would go for a good penny.

I honestly didn't think I was gonna be able to get a lot for it when I picked it up, just sort of grabbed it on a whim and decided I might as well sell it.

Gosh dang goodwill! stopped by and was pretty excited about picking up a copy of Old Republic 2 for Xbox for 3.99....we open it at check out and BAM! its some stupid gladiator game disc not OR2. Trying to pull a fast one on my goodwill not cool

I got a copy of Resident Evil 2 for Gamecube yesterday (disc and manual only) for $3.99. If I sell it on ebay, do you guys think it is worth printing out a box art on photo paper (I have my mint copy so it wouldnt be too hard) and just state that its reprinted in the auction?

Got Mechwarrior 3, 3D Ultra Pinball Creep Night, and First to Fight all for $1 each. First to Fight is strange. It's a substance abuse program and a game for the Marines? It even says internal marine use only on the front cover.

[quote name='TheHelix']First to Fight is strange. It's a substance abuse program and a game for the Marines? It even says internal marine use only on the front cover.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they made two versions of the game - a military version and a public consumption version. The developer of the game was actually located in my area - when they went out of business I was able to dig through their offices and found several hundred copies of the internal use only version (as well as several hundred copies of the First to Fight/Starship Troopers double pack). Had no idea it existed until then.

Got a copy of Super Mario 64 for $1.99 at goodwill and a wireless 360 controller for 10 bucks at some random thrift store I stopped at.

Grabbed these today-

Mario golf n64 $2.99
Pokemon puzzle league n64 $2.99

Almost left them, but decided I might as well since they were in great shape. I'll bring em to my local fleamarket dude. He will give me $15-$20 for em. I love that guy,lol.

Got pretty lucky today. We had an appointment this morning, and weren't even going to stop at GW, but decided to anyways. It just so happened that right when we were walking in, my yard sale nemesis pulled into the parking lot, so I hurried and did a videogame scan/walkthrough. What would immediately catch my eye? A gold box, containing a gold cartridge. A complete, good condition copy of Legend of Zelda NES. Cart is mint, although the map and manual are worn a bit. The box has a little wear, and is missing a side flap, but is overall in good condition. It even still had the styrofoam spacer in the bottom.

When we were done, we went up to the register and the manager was running it, someone I've become pretty good friends with. He looked at it and asked what it is, I told him it's a video game and he looked and saw it had blank price tags (meaning it should be $3). He looks and says it has no price, and then says, how does $1.50 sound to you? No objections there!

No do I keep it or flip it? That is the question...

[quote name='sp00ge']Got pretty lucky today. We had an appointment this morning, and weren't even going to stop at GW, but decided to anyways. It just so happened that right when we were walking in, my yard sale nemesis pulled into the parking lot, so I hurried and did a videogame scan/walkthrough. What would immediately catch my eye? A gold box, containing a gold cartridge. A complete, good condition copy of Legend of Zelda NES. Cart is mint, although the map and manual are worn a bit. The box has a little wear, and is missing a side flap, but is overall in good condition. It even still had the styrofoam spacer in the bottom.

When we were done, we went up to the register and the manager was running it, someone I've become pretty good friends with. He looked at it and asked what it is, I told him it's a video game and he looked and saw it had blank price tags (meaning it should be $3). He looks and says it has no price, and then says, how does $1.50 sound to you? No objections there!

No do I keep it or flip it? That is the question...[/QUOTE]

keep it. At our GW/SA/thrifts if there is no price, they will not let you buy the item.

Stopped in my local savers today. Picked up a copy of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee & Project Gotham Racing for the XBOX for $3.99 each, they were both original releases, not platinum hits and Brand New and Sealed. Also Picked up a Dreamcast with all the wires and 2 controllers for $9.99, gotta test it out.

[quote name='TheAngryCAG']Stopped in my local savers today. Picked up a copy of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee & Project Gotham Racing for the XBOX for $3.99 each, they were both original releases, not platinum hits and Brand New and Sealed. Also Picked up a Dreamcast with all the wires and 2 controllers for $9.99, gotta test it out.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty jealous of you Dreamcast find. I've been looking to pick one up for a couple years now at yard sales/Goodwills/etc. Cheapest I've seen is a used game store has system w/one controller for $30. I really hope I can find cheaper, or with games.

[quote name='sp00ge']Got pretty lucky today. We had an appointment this morning, and weren't even going to stop at GW, but decided to anyways. It just so happened that right when we were walking in, my yard sale nemesis pulled into the parking lot, so I hurried and did a videogame scan/walkthrough. What would immediately catch my eye? A gold box, containing a gold cartridge. A complete, good condition copy of Legend of Zelda NES. Cart is mint, although the map and manual are worn a bit. The box has a little wear, and is missing a side flap, but is overall in good condition. It even still had the styrofoam spacer in the bottom.

No do I keep it or flip it? That is the question...[/QUOTE]

Just me but I would flip it. I would assume flipping that could get you the Zelda collector's edition for the gamecube for basically $1.50 if you really want Zelda.

[quote name='TheHelix']3D Ultra Pinball Creep Night[/QUOTE]
Awesome game right there. It's hard to beat Pinball FX 2 in terms of quality and realism, but Creep Night is still one of my favorites. 3D Ultra Mini Golf is also quite good (much better than the newer Xbox versions).

Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness for Gamecube- complete (booklets and ads)
Pokemon Colosseum for Gamecube- case, disc, booklet, warning booklet
$3 apiece

Went to the goodwill store last night. First time I've ever been to one. Thanks to everyone on this thread for convincing me to go.

I picked up a Mad Catz controller for the Sega Genesis at $4. Then picked up about 25 comics for about $1. These comics were Spawn #1 - 12, X-Force 1-5, bunch of X-men #1's.

Nice lady only rang me up for $3 for all those comic books.

For $7 I made out like a bandit.

I found a brand new thrift store that just open last week and its very small (about the size of 2 average home rooms). Its called the Thrifty Thrift and I checked it out. It had a few video games mainly atari 2600 stuff. I ended up getting these:
Gradius NES (5 pin :D) 1$
Dual Heroes N64 $2
Donkey Kong Coleco $1

[quote name='200STM']I found a brand new thrift store that just open last week and its very small (about the size of 2 average home rooms). Its called the Thrifty Thrift and I checked it out. It had a few video games mainly atari 2600 stuff. I ended up getting these:
Dual Heroes N64 $2
Donkey Kong Coleco $1[/QUOTE]

Fill me in: What is a 5 pin? I assume it has something to do with the actual pins/cartridge style, but I could use some help. Are 5 pins generally worth more for NES games?

@Slowdive21: 5 pins I am referring to screws on the back of the NES Cart. 5 screws NES carts are consider more rarer than regular 3 screw games. I think its a guess but 5 screw games were made by nintendo (Nintendo made the carts themselves) and were made between 1985-1987 as pretty much very early NES releases. People call them 5 screw or 5 pins because of the x they make on the back of those early NES carts

[quote name='slowdive21']Fill me in: What is a 5 pin? I assume it has something to do with the actual pins/cartridge style, but I could use some help. Are 5 pins generally worth more for NES games?[/QUOTE]

I think it was a mistaken way of saying 5 screw.

[quote name='200STM']@Slowdive21: 5 pins I am referring to screws on the back of the NES Cart. 5 screws NES carts are consider more rarer than regular 3 screw games. I think its a guess but 5 screw games were made by nintendo (Nintendo made the carts themselves) and were made between 1985-1987 as pretty much very early NES releases. People call them 5 screw or 5 pins because of the x they make on the back of those early NES carts[/QUOTE]

OK thanks, I will have to look mine over! I know I have some "solid carts" or "black box carts", they may be 5 pin/5 screws as well.

Haha sorry 5 screws is what they are called I said pin by mistake. I found this 5 screw and thought oh this is one of those early NES carts. I am happy to have Gradius as now I have I,III,IV and V :D

[quote name='slowdive21']OK thanks, I will have to look mine over! I know I have some "solid carts" or "black box carts", they may be 5 pin/5 screws as well.[/QUOTE]

Black carts were some of the unlicensed ones, I think.

Yeah Tengen I think made those either way if you have any odd looking carts they might be rare or at least good collectables. I have no unlicense carts, my rarest (if you say) NES game is Short Order/Eggsplode! which was the last NES game to support the power pad.

[quote name='200STM']Yeah Tengen I think made those either way if you have any odd looking carts they might be rare or at least good collectables. I have no unlicense carts, my rarest (if you say) NES game is Short Order/Eggsplode! which was the last NES game to support the power pad.[/QUOTE]

All "official" games were the standard grey cartridge. The unlicensed games came in a variety of colors and designs, from Tengen's black wedge (Tetris, Toobin', Rolling Thunder, etc) to Color Dreams/etc block designs, ranging from blue, gold, black.

I've had quite a few of the unofficial carts, but sold most of them off recently after decimating my NES collection.

Picked up Sonic Adventure DX (complete) and Sonic Adventure 2(missing manual) for the Cube today for a grand total of $1. The discs need cleaned but overall I'd say it was a nice find.

I stopped into a Goodwill about an hour away after visiting some family out there.

To my surprise I found a PlayStation 1 in its original box. It was marked $9.99 but the guy working told me that it only had the power cable (no av or controller) so he sold it to me for $5. I know a guy with extra PS Cables and stuff so I could probably get those from him.

Was hyped because it's the first Sony console I've found cheap enough for me to be interested (everything near me with the name playstation on it is marked up like crazy). But, sadly I don't think it's working, I plugged it in just to see if it powers on and it makes a strange grinding noise. :hot: it certainly doesn't sound normal...

Oh well, I might keep it for the box and whatnot (or just for shits and giggles). Not really worth taking it back, it's only $5.

[quote name='elessar123']Black carts were some of the unlicensed ones, I think.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I meant black box as in the box they came in from Nintendo (the early releases).

Either way I am going to have to look over everything before I start to purge. I have to make sure I have the best copy possible of everything.

[quote name='C0dy']I stopped into a Goodwill about an hour away after visiting some family out there.

To my surprise I found a PlayStation 1 in its original box. It was marked $9.99 but the guy working told me that it only had the power cable (no av or controller) so he sold it to me for $5. I know a guy with extra PS Cables and stuff so I could probably get those from him.

Was hyped because it's the first Sony console I've found cheap enough for me to be interested (everything near me with the name playstation on it is marked up like crazy). But, sadly I don't think it's working, I plugged it in just to see if it powers on and it makes a strange grinding noise. :hot: it certainly doesn't sound normal...

Oh well, I might keep it for the box and whatnot (or just for shits and giggles). Not really worth taking it back, it's only $5.[/QUOTE]

I have five Playstations that i've picked up for dirt cheap over the past few months, and just finally got around to testing them a few days ago and NONE of them work. My lesson taken from this? Don't bother buying Playstations unless you can test them right there.

[quote name='sp00ge']I have five Playstations that i've picked up for dirt cheap over the past few months, and just finally got around to testing them a few days ago and NONE of them work. My lesson taken from this? Don't bother buying Playstations unless you can test them right there.[/QUOTE]

Lesson learned :wall:

[quote name='200STM']I found a brand new thrift store that just open last week and its very small (about the size of 2 average home rooms). Its called the Thrifty Thrift and I checked it out. It had a few video games mainly atari 2600 stuff. I ended up getting these:
Dual Heroes N64 $2
Donkey Kong Coleco $1[/QUOTE]
Do you recall any of the Atari 2600 games they had? I've been trying to rebuild my old collection and I haven't seen anything locally yet.

[quote name='sp00ge']I have five Playstations that i've picked up for dirt cheap over the past few months, and just finally got around to testing them a few days ago and NONE of them work. My lesson taken from this? Don't bother buying Playstations unless you can test them right there.[/QUOTE]
I have five of the old grey PS1's from the one local shop. The owner used to have them stacked by the door at his old shop. So I asked him about them the one day. He said they were untested and if I wanted some of them I could take them for $1 each. One works completely and I think the others were only needing a laser assembly to work fully again.

Of course, that never happened, so at least 1-2 of them are missing the complete laser assembly but otherwise intact.

PS1 systems are just not worth it. In my experience they usually do work but they just have no value. Which makes sense when you consider how many they sold and the fact that new PS3s still support PS1 discs (which is pretty strange if you think about it.)

[quote name='N3UROP0D']PS1 systems are just not worth it. In my experience they usually do work but they just have no value. Which makes sense when you consider how many they sold and the fact that new PS3s still support PS1 discs (which is pretty strange if you think about it.)[/QUOTE]

Yea, I don't bother with PS1s either. PS2s and PS3s still play PS1 games. I couldn't even sell one at $1+shipping.

I had several PS1s in my collection, all bought with the intent on flipping them. Got them all relatively cheap ($1-$3 at yard sales), and I couldn't sell them for the life of me. I ended up giving them all away to friends, except the SCPH-1001 model, which I kept for myself. I know it's not really worth much, but hey, it's just for the collection.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I had several PS1s in my collection, all bought with the intent on flipping them. Got them all relatively cheap ($1-$3 at yard sales), and I couldn't sell them for the life of me. I ended up giving them all away to friends, except the SCPH-1001 model, which I kept for myself. I know it's not really worth much, but hey, it's just for the collection.[/QUOTE]

I only keep the 1001 models too. I think I have 4 or 5 of them. They used to sell for a lot because they are supposed to be one of the best CD players, but the kids use Zunes now. ;)

Kickle Cubicle (NES)- $3
StarTropics (NES)- $3
PilotWings (SNES)- $4
MegaMan Soccer (SNES)- $3
1080 (N64)- $3

Passed on Dragon Warrior, Othello, a few others I cant remember (cus they werent worth getting), the usual sports sports sports sports, a $25 N64, a $20 N64, and a $10 N64, a $15 system only Intellivision II (seriously GW seriously??), a $20 copy of Banjo Kazooie that has been there for a year, a $30 Gamecube, and a $15 Genesis.

As you can see my 3 GWs are very hit or miss on prices.

last week I got a SCPH-1001 model PS1 for $3. I have one in perfect condition in original box and everything but nice to have a beater model.

My first one was purchased from craigslist from some older guy who bought it on its release date (not for kids, for himself) with a bunch of longbox games and said he played it a few weeks and put it in a box. Even has the pre-order materials and that CD with the tech demos on it. Best find I ever had on craigslist.

I got a few good things today at a thrift I hadn't visited before. An Elmo DVD for my daughter, a copy of Nascar Racing 2003 season, some random CD, and a GBA gameshark case. There isn't a gameshark, just a cable that is USB on one end and a GBA end on the other. Is it a charging cable or something else? $12 + tax for all of it.

At any rate, the gameshark that I picked up a while ago will go well in the case.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I got a few good things today at a thrift I hadn't visited before. An Elmo DVD for my daughter, a copy of Nascar Racing 2003 season, some random CD, and a GBA gameshark case. There isn't a gameshark, just a cable that is USB on one end and a GBA end on the other. Is it a charging cable or something else? $12 + tax for all of it.

At any rate, the gameshark that I picked up a while ago will go well in the case.[/QUOTE]

After looking a little more what I got was this: http://www.amazon.com/Gameboy-Advance-GameShark-Game-Codes-Boy/dp/B000246VNY

I sure wish it had the cartridge. The one that I have is clear plastic.

This morning at the Thrift I picked up a lime green Gameboy Color with the games Super Mario Land, Baseball, Harvest Moon, Bomberman GB, Conker's Pocket Tales, Mary Kate and Ashley, and N'Sync, all for $10. The GBC works fine, but it has a few scuff marks, still though should be an easy flip for about $30 or so.

@ZombieToast: I saw pacman, combat, lazer something, and a few other carts I didnt take time to see.

bread's done
Back